Skip to content

QB Prognostication

The Browns Board
22 10 753
  • Just a bit of a diversion here, because the subject was on the radio while I was out running some errands.  Who will be the Top QBs in the NFL 5 years from now..of QBs who are currently in the league? Lets look at the potential candidates, by division:

    NFCE:  Manning of NYG out Smith of Wash  will  likely be out.    Wentz a strong candidate.   Dak?   Questionable.

    NFCN:  Rodgers will be at the end of his road.  Cousins and Stafford can be good, but they are not elite.  Trubisky is the main candidate.

    NFCS.  Brees will not be around.  Matt Ryan will be in late 30s.  Cam Newton should still be in his prime (age 34)  if his style of play does not get him killed,  and if Winston becomes any good so should he.

    NFCW  Russell Wilson would also be 34 then, which means he could still be prime.   Rosen and Garrapolo  and Goff would  all still be young, probably still under 30 or thereabouts  No oldy but moldy QBs in this division.

    AFCE   Brady finally out.  Tannehill will not be the Fins QB.   Rookies Darnold and Allen have a shot.

    AFCN  BR will be out.  Flacco will be 38.  Dalton will be 34...but will he be any better.  And of course there is Baker Mayfield.

    AFCS  Bortles will be in Tannehill territory...not good enough.  Watson a prime candidate, Mariota could be.  Luck will be 34...prime age...if his health sticks.

    AFCW  Case Keenum won't be around that long. Rivers will be out.  Carr would be in his prime, only 30.  And there is Mahomes.

    So?  Who could be the Top 5 Dogs at the QB spot. If you did a current 5-6 you would say Brady/Brees/BR/Rodgers/Rivers perhaps?  

    Who will be the names of the Top 5 veteran QBs  5 years hence? 

  • Wilson, Wentz, Watson, Mayfield, Mahomes.

    Goff. 

    Can I have six?

    Z

  • Wilson, Wentz, Watson, Mayfield, Mahomes.

    Goff. 

    Can I have six?

    Z

    Zombo said:

    Wilson, Wentz, Watson, Mayfield, Mahomes.

    Goff. 

    Can I have six?

    Z

    Sure

  • Trubisky, Mahomes, Goff, Wentz, Watson. I don't believe Mayfield will last 3 full.years.

  • Trubisky, Mahomes, Goff, Wentz, Watson. I don't believe Mayfield will last 3 full.years.

    @ghoolie said:

    Trubisky, Mahomes, Goff, Wentz, Watson. I don't believe Mayfield will last 3 full.years.

    Why?

  • @ghoolie said:

    Trubisky, Mahomes, Goff, Wentz, Watson. I don't believe Mayfield will last 3 full.years.

    Why?

    @the-gipper said:

    Why?Why?

    Are you serious Gip? 

    It's almost sad watching some of you continually fall for his trolling. It's like shooting fish in a barrel for him. 

  • @the-gipper said:

    Why?Why?

    Are you serious Gip? 

    It's almost sad watching some of you continually fall for his trolling. It's like shooting fish in a barrel for him. 

    @dutch-oven said:

    Are you serious Gip? 

    It's almost sad watching some of you continually fall for his trolling. It's like shooting fish in a barrel for him. 

    I think it is reasonable to ask why he believes that Baker Mayfield would not last in this league......if he is legitimate in his beliefs, which I understand are 98% non legitimate.

    Besides, I am free to converse with whomever and in whatever manner I choose to on this forum.  I don't need a lecture on that.  

    Beyond that, I consider him the fish where I am the one doing the shooting.

    And further beyond that.....where is your contribution to the point of this thread......or are now just about being the a member of the Ghoolie Gestapo?

  • I think Baker has the "it factor", I really DO. QB in the NFL has a lot to do with obviously talent, but also work ethic and intelligence. I believe Baker has these attributes in spades. He's exceptionally accurate throwing the ball, he's a hellish competitor and worker, and he can make difficult throws. I'll be the first to admit that even though I'm excited about what Baker is showing us, I still want more. If my team goes to overtime 4 times, I want my QB to win those games. Now I realize it's a team game, but you know what I mean. 

    Baker throws the ball accurately, and that might sound stupid to say, but it's so vital in the NFL because the windows are smaller. Look at the drop Njoku had on our first 3rd down last week. Perfect pass, where only he could get it, hits both hands and....DOINK! Drop, punt. As I said in an earlier post, Baker leads the league in drops on 3rd down. That might be the Brownsiest stat I've ever heard of. 

    Baker has definitely missed some big plays and he's made his share of mistakes, I get that. The 4th down fumble was inexcusable. He missed a wide open deep ball on our first 3rd down in overtime. He missed Perriman on a deep cross that would've been huge. He missed Duke on an easy check down on 3rd down. He had many other mistakes, but I love the fact I know he'll watch the film. I know he'll work on his errors. I know he has the ability and the drive to get the job done. We're starting rookies at LT, WR, RB, and obviously QB. Not ideal, but they all have talent, and perhaps they'll grow together. 

  • My  5:

    Newton and Luck....will both have Brees/Rodgers like status at that point.

    Baker, hopefully

    Trubisky

    Mahomes

    Bonus:  Goff

  • @the-gipper said:

    Why?Why?

    Are you serious Gip? 

    It's almost sad watching some of you continually fall for his trolling. It's like shooting fish in a barrel for him. 

    @dutch-oven said:

    Are you serious Gip? 

    It's almost sad watching some of you continually fall for his trolling. It's like shooting fish in a barrel for him. 

    Actually I look at it the other way around who the big fat fish in the barrel is.  😆

    Fun sport when it gets boring around here.

    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

    Now on young quarterbacks Watson looked really good Thursday night especially with Hopkins and that promising young WR Fuller.

  • @ghoolie said:

    Trubisky, Mahomes, Goff, Wentz, Watson. I don't believe Mayfield will last 3 full.years.

    Why?

    @the-gipper said:

    Why?

    I think the Browns continued failure to acquire playmakers on offense is going rp.get this kid  beat up.

    I hope I am wrong but I think the Chargers exposed the Browns dink and dump offense such that teams are going to play tight, over pursuit the short game continually turn Baker into a running QB, a Tarkenton. Something he is, as we are seeing, is not good at.

    I thonk he is going to have a very tough time tomorrow. Plus, Dorsey the Dorkey gor rid of our best blockong back.(59 million under the cap)

  • @the-gipper said:

    Why?

    I think the Browns continued failure to acquire playmakers on offense is going rp.get this kid  beat up.

    I hope I am wrong but I think the Chargers exposed the Browns dink and dump offense such that teams are going to play tight, over pursuit the short game continually turn Baker into a running QB, a Tarkenton. Something he is, as we are seeing, is not good at.

    I thonk he is going to have a very tough time tomorrow. Plus, Dorsey the Dorkey gor rid of our best blockong back.(59 million under the cap)

    @ghoolie said:

    I think the Browns continued failure to acquire playmakers on offense is going rp.get this kid  beat up.

    I hope I am wrong but I think the Chargers exposed the Browns dink and dump offense such that teams are going to play tight, over pursuit the short game continually turn Baker into a running QB, a Tarkenton. Something he is, as we are seeing, is not good at.

    I thonk he is going to have a very tough time tomorrow. Plus, Dorsey the Dorkey gor rid of our best blockong back.(59 million under the cap)

    Mayfield is a playmaker Callaway is a playmaker Chubb is a play maker Njoku is a playmaker

  • Who's got the talent left to follow them? 1)Goff 2)Cousins 3)Maholmes 4)Watson 5)Wentz 6)Ryan 7)Wilson 8)Stafford 9)Luck 10)Newton 11)Baker maybe falls into the Mariota,Jimmy G.Dalton,Winston,bitch'tits Mitch group? Landry/Duke our the only proven playmakers on this offense..sure in 5 years a lot of things could change for every team..but hopefully we got a jump start drafting the base of Myles,Njoku,Peppers,Ogunjobi,Chubb,Callaway,Avery,Schobert,Ward..the drafting seems far better than what it has been..Time/injuries tick fast...

  • I predict BM gets wrecked.  Steelers 2nd in sacks...we last in sacks given up.

    Hopefully he survives to lead us to 4-12

  • @ghoolie said:

    I think the Browns continued failure to acquire playmakers on offense is going rp.get this kid  beat up.

    I hope I am wrong but I think the Chargers exposed the Browns dink and dump offense such that teams are going to play tight, over pursuit the short game continually turn Baker into a running QB, a Tarkenton. Something he is, as we are seeing, is not good at.

    I thonk he is going to have a very tough time tomorrow. Plus, Dorsey the Dorkey gor rid of our best blockong back.(59 million under the cap)

    Mayfield is a playmaker Callaway is a playmaker Chubb is a play maker Njoku is a playmaker

    @the-gipper said:

    Mayfield is a playmaker Callaway is a playmaker Chubb is a play maker Njoku is a playmaker

    No, they arent. None of them would start.for the Steelers Pats, Rams, et..al. 

    Did you see the cat that hit the winning HR last night? HE is a playmaker. The Browns are 3-35-1 specifically because they have NO PLAYMAKERS. 

  • @the-gipper said:

    Mayfield is a playmaker Callaway is a playmaker Chubb is a play maker Njoku is a playmaker

    No, they arent. None of them would start.for the Steelers Pats, Rams, et..al. 

    Did you see the cat that hit the winning HR last night? HE is a playmaker. The Browns are 3-35-1 specifically because they have NO PLAYMAKERS. 

    @ghoolie said:

    No, they arent. None of them would start.for the Steelers Pats, Rams, et..al. 

    Did you see the cat that hit the winning HR last night? HE is a playmaker. The Browns are 3-35-1 specifically because they have NO PLAYMAKERS. 

    Foolish The guys I mentioned are in fact play makers

  • In 5 years.

    NFC EAST- Wentz then Dak

    NFC North- Stafford, Kirk, Rodgers, then Trubisky

    NFC South-  Cam, Winston

    NFC WEST- Goff, Wilson, Jimmy G, Rosen

    AFC EAST- Darnold, Allen

    AFC North- Baker, Flacco, Jackson, Rudolph 

    AFC SOUTH- Watson, Luck, Bortles, Mariota

    AFC West- Mahomes, Carr

    Top 5: in alphabetical order (as a lot has to do with what is surrounded by): 1. Goff, Mahomes, Newton, Watson, Wentz

  • I swear after thinking about it.  Baker reminds me of Bubby Brister.  I hope Im wrong.?

  • I predict BM gets wrecked.  Steelers 2nd in sacks...we last in sacks given up.

    Hopefully he survives to lead us to 4-12

    @kvoethe said:

    I predict BM gets wrecked.  Steelers 2nd in sacks...we last in sacks given up.

    Hopefully he survives to lead us to 4-12

    I heard rumors somewhere that OL guys were a dime a dozen,  basically unimportant in the building a successful team.........probably some drunk blowhard. 😆

  • I swear after thinking about it.  Baker reminds me of Bubby Brister.  I hope Im wrong.?

    @kvoethe said:

    I swear after thinking about it.  Baker reminds me of Bubby Brister.  I hope Im wrong.?

    Not even close. Brister could barely hit the broadside of a barn door