Skip to content

Trade out of the 1st round next year and address our needs through FA...

Locked The Browns Board
94 33 2.5k 1
  • @clevfan4life said:

    This team is there. They need some FA signings to fill a couple spots and we're in the conversation for the AFC championship next year. We need to get myles a running mate first and foremost, we're not gonna get a day 1 starter in the draft where we're gonna pick....so why bother taking a guy that might need a year or two? Might also think about a DT.....but if we sign a guy like margus hunt, we get a guy that can slide inside easily, cause he's a monster...when avery comes in at olb 'er. Wouldnt be mad if we went after Ansah either.

    Also might wanna look at an elite LT, Lewan? So what else? We're set then in our front 7, maybe another DB? If theres an elite DB in  the draft ok stay in the 1st round...maybe for an elire wr too. If that isnt there just trade out and accumulate stock.....fix the m few holes we have in FA so we can hit this window we have

    This is not a team that is going to be built through FA. It is CLEAR, Dorsey is the shit. He will build this team organically, and use FA to patch and spot fix, maybe add a special guy here or there. With what he did in the 2018 draft, you have to be out of your mind to now want him in the draft as much as possible.

    5150k95 5150k9 wrote on last edited by
    #32

    @ghoolie said:

    This is not a team that is going to be built through FA. It is CLEAR, Dorsey is the shit. He will build this team organically, and use FA to patch and spot fix, maybe add a special guy here or there. With what he did in the 2018 draft, you have to be out of your mind to now want him in the draft as much as possible.

    ^^^^^What he said^^^^^ And Im sure G meant "  With what he did in the 2018 draft, you have to be out of your mind to NOT want him in the draft as much as possible."

  • No thats the ass backwards way of doing things.. You build and solidify with your draft.. you get spare parts in FA...

    B Babernakle wrote on last edited by
    #33

    @nickers said:

    No thats the ass backwards way of doing things.. You build and solidify with your draft.. you get spare parts in FA...

    Why not do both. There have been a lot of guys come in this year as rookies and made huge contributions.  And fa that has done the same.  I not opposed to trading out of the first round, but this draft is looking heavy on d early so the ability to get a top notch offensive is there.  Perhaps a Jolio or aj type player.   If I was to guess it’s going to be a lot of both.

  • B BaconHound wrote on last edited by
    #34

    Hell no.  Keep adding young talent.  This team isn’t a free agent away.  They’ve beaten one team with a winning record.

  • Hell no.  Keep adding young talent.  This team isn’t a free agent away.  They’ve beaten one team with a winning record.

    C Clevfan4life wrote on last edited by
    #35

    @baconhound said:

    Hell no.  Keep adding young talent.  This team isn’t a free agent away.  They’ve beaten one team with a winning record.

    Not one FA, but a couple could very well put us in the afc champ picture. One of my biggest reasons for making this thread, is the avg lifespan of workhorses like chubb. That potential run game to go with baker is imo a foundation for a SB appearance. Thats my opinion, if u all dont agree, fine. But thats the basis for my "strike now" contention. 

  • @nickers said:

    No thats the ass backwards way of doing things.. You build and solidify with your draft.. you get spare parts in FA...

    Why not do both. There have been a lot of guys come in this year as rookies and made huge contributions.  And fa that has done the same.  I not opposed to trading out of the first round, but this draft is looking heavy on d early so the ability to get a top notch offensive is there.  Perhaps a Jolio or aj type player.   If I was to guess it’s going to be a lot of both.

    Tour2maT Tour2ma wrote on last edited by
    #36

    @babernakle said:

    Why not do both.

    There's no doubt that Dorsey will follow both paths in 2019 just as he did in 2018. It's a question of emphasis and price tags.

    We'll also likely see the third prong again as well... player trade.

  • @baconhound said:

    Hell no.  Keep adding young talent.  This team isn’t a free agent away.  They’ve beaten one team with a winning record.

    Not one FA, but a couple could very well put us in the afc champ picture. One of my biggest reasons for making this thread, is the avg lifespan of workhorses like chubb. That potential run game to go with baker is imo a foundation for a SB appearance. Thats my opinion, if u all dont agree, fine. But thats the basis for my "strike now" contention. 

    Tour2maT Tour2ma wrote on last edited by
    #37

    @clevfan4life said:

    Not one FA, but a couple could very well put us in the afc champ picture. One of my biggest reasons for making this thread, is the avg lifespan of workhorses like chubb. That potential run game to go with baker is imo a foundation for a SB appearance. Thats my opinion, if u all dont agree, fine. But thats the basis for my "strike now" contention. 

    Thanks for giving permission... 😉

    I just don't see us being primed for a deep playoff run... even if we keep our current staff. IMO our "window" has just cracked open... lotta learning, lotta growing to do over the next couple seasons to get primed.

    I've seen a lot more teams go FA too early and fail than I have seen go early and cash. Foremost in my mind is NYG which spent like drunken sailors on their D only to see their O come apart at the seams... and they were more primed than we are now.

  • @clevfan4life said:

    Not one FA, but a couple could very well put us in the afc champ picture. One of my biggest reasons for making this thread, is the avg lifespan of workhorses like chubb. That potential run game to go with baker is imo a foundation for a SB appearance. Thats my opinion, if u all dont agree, fine. But thats the basis for my "strike now" contention. 

    Thanks for giving permission... 😉

    I just don't see us being primed for a deep playoff run... even if we keep our current staff. IMO our "window" has just cracked open... lotta learning, lotta growing to do over the next couple seasons to get primed.

    I've seen a lot more teams go FA too early and fail than I have seen go early and cash. Foremost in my mind is NYG which spent like drunken sailors on their D only to see their O come apart at the seams... and they were more primed than we are now.

    C Clevfan4life wrote on last edited by
    #38

    @tour2ma said:

    Thanks for giving permission... 😉

    I just don't see us being primed for a deep playoff run... even if we keep our current staff. IMO our "window" has just cracked open... lotta learning, lotta growing to do over the next couple seasons to get primed.

    I've seen a lot more teams go FA too early and fail than I have seen go early and cash. Foremost in my mind is NYG which spent like drunken sailors on their D only to see their O come apart at the seams... and they were more primed than we are now.

    Permission for what? And didnt the giants go nuts in FA? Im wanting us to.fill 1 key role for sure and perhaps 1-2 others..

    But just for fun, conremplate denarcus and clowney thst are coming free this year. I have not much doubt they'll resign with tbeir teams, especially clowney......but are u saying you wouldnt want us to.talk to clowney if he expressed interest? Garrett and clowney wouldnt just absolutely put tgis pass rush into fabled territory?

  • @baconhound said:

    Hell no.  Keep adding young talent.  This team isn’t a free agent away.  They’ve beaten one team with a winning record.

    Not one FA, but a couple could very well put us in the afc champ picture. One of my biggest reasons for making this thread, is the avg lifespan of workhorses like chubb. That potential run game to go with baker is imo a foundation for a SB appearance. Thats my opinion, if u all dont agree, fine. But thats the basis for my "strike now" contention. 

    Gunz41G Gunz41 wrote on last edited by
    #39

    @clevfan4life said:

    Not one FA, but a couple could very well put us in the afc champ picture. One of my biggest reasons for making this thread, is the avg lifespan of workhorses like chubb. That potential run game to go with baker is imo a foundation for a SB appearance. Thats my opinion, if u all dont agree, fine. But thats the basis for my "strike now" contention. 

    If your FA signing is a RB because he is a workhorse and bringing up Chubb and average lifespan, then you make absolutely zero sense. You would be getting an older RB, which in turn is closer to being done. 

  • @baconhound said:

    Hell no.  Keep adding young talent.  This team isn’t a free agent away.  They’ve beaten one team with a winning record.

    Not one FA, but a couple could very well put us in the afc champ picture. One of my biggest reasons for making this thread, is the avg lifespan of workhorses like chubb. That potential run game to go with baker is imo a foundation for a SB appearance. Thats my opinion, if u all dont agree, fine. But thats the basis for my "strike now" contention. 

    hoortaH hoorta wrote on last edited by
    #40

    @clevfan4life said:

    Not one FA, but a couple could very well put us in the afc champ picture. One of my biggest reasons for making this thread, is the avg lifespan of workhorses like chubb. That potential run game to go with baker is imo a foundation for a SB appearance. Thats my opinion, if u all dont agree, fine. But thats the basis for my "strike now" contention. 

    You're entitled to that opinion, but based on the responses you're getting- it's way in the minority. 

    It takes more than players- takes a fair amount of luck- and no injuries. Pray nightly Baker doesn't get hurt. Gip starts every year with a who's in\ who's out. Anyone have the Jags, Falcons, and Eagles laying a collective egg this year? I sure didn't. Browns on a way upward trend next year? I sure hope so, but there's no guarantees. 

    Amplifying what Tour said, and I'm in 100% agreement- the Dolphins thought they had the last piece when they signed Suh to a mega-contract. Didn't work out. BTW, the object isn't to get to the Super Bowl- it's to WIN the Super Bowl. Other than tying the Steelers and playing the Saints close early in the year- we got smoked by every other playoff team we faced.  That's not just a couple pieces away. And since we were talking about potential road trips next year and the schedule- we play the Patriots in Foxboro, and the Rams at home. Yikes. 

    @gunz41 said:

    If your FA signing is a RB because he is a workhorse and bringing up Chubb and average lifespan, then you make absolutely zero sense. You would be getting an older RB, which in turn is closer to being done. 

    And he's forgetting the Broncos got a pretty fair running back in Lindsay as an undrafted free agent. Ditto that for Arian Foster with the Texans. No need to pull someone off the scrap heap. 

  • @tour2ma said:

    Thanks for giving permission... 😉

    I just don't see us being primed for a deep playoff run... even if we keep our current staff. IMO our "window" has just cracked open... lotta learning, lotta growing to do over the next couple seasons to get primed.

    I've seen a lot more teams go FA too early and fail than I have seen go early and cash. Foremost in my mind is NYG which spent like drunken sailors on their D only to see their O come apart at the seams... and they were more primed than we are now.

    Permission for what? And didnt the giants go nuts in FA? Im wanting us to.fill 1 key role for sure and perhaps 1-2 others..

    But just for fun, conremplate denarcus and clowney thst are coming free this year. I have not much doubt they'll resign with tbeir teams, especially clowney......but are u saying you wouldnt want us to.talk to clowney if he expressed interest? Garrett and clowney wouldnt just absolutely put tgis pass rush into fabled territory?

    Tour2maT Tour2ma wrote on last edited by
    #41

    @clevfan4life said:

    Permission for what? And didnt the giants go nuts in FA? Im wanting us to.fill 1 key role for sure and perhaps 1-2 others..

    But just for fun, conremplate denarcus and clowney thst are coming free this year. I have not much doubt they'll resign with tbeir teams, especially clowney......but are u saying you wouldnt want us to.talk to clowney if he expressed interest? Garrett and clowney wouldnt just absolutely put tgis pass rush into fabled territory?

    Permission to disagree... It was tacit in your prior post.

    NYG signed 3 big name FAs for their D... Olivier Vernon, Janoris Jenkins and Damon Harrison. If my math is correct, then that's the top end of the range for which you are arguing.

    Clowney? Talk? Sure, but not sure how hard I'd pursue or high I'd be willing to pay. I'm honestly torn here because I think he's a bit too much of a freelancer for Williams' D. Plus he works the same side as Garrett. Then there's the fact that we've come close to matching his 2019 production by committee.

  • C Clevfan4life wrote on last edited by
    #42

    Uhh yyeeaaahhh, not a RB i was thinking of

  • @clevfan4life said:

    Permission for what? And didnt the giants go nuts in FA? Im wanting us to.fill 1 key role for sure and perhaps 1-2 others..

    But just for fun, conremplate denarcus and clowney thst are coming free this year. I have not much doubt they'll resign with tbeir teams, especially clowney......but are u saying you wouldnt want us to.talk to clowney if he expressed interest? Garrett and clowney wouldnt just absolutely put tgis pass rush into fabled territory?

    Permission to disagree... It was tacit in your prior post.

    NYG signed 3 big name FAs for their D... Olivier Vernon, Janoris Jenkins and Damon Harrison. If my math is correct, then that's the top end of the range for which you are arguing.

    Clowney? Talk? Sure, but not sure how hard I'd pursue or high I'd be willing to pay. I'm honestly torn here because I think he's a bit too much of a freelancer for Williams' D. Plus he works the same side as Garrett. Then there's the fact that we've come close to matching his 2019 production by committee.

    C Clevfan4life wrote on last edited by
    #43

    @tour2ma said:

    Permission to disagree... It was tacit in your prior post.

    NYG signed 3 big name FAs for their D... Olivier Vernon, Janoris Jenkins and Damon Harrison. If my math is correct, then that's the top end of the range for which you are arguing.

    Clowney? Talk? Sure, but not sure how hard I'd pursue or high I'd be willing to pay. I'm honestly torn here because I think he's a bit too much of a freelancer for Williams' D. Plus he works the same side as Garrett. Then there's the fact that we've come close to matching his 2019 production by committee.

    Well garrett spends time on the LDE now....im sure clowney and him could switch around like joey and ingraham do

  • Uhh yyeeaaahhh, not a RB i was thinking of

    Tour2maT Tour2ma wrote on last edited by
    #44

    @clevfan4life said:

    Uhh yyeeaaahhh, not a RB i was thinking of

    Ditto... Duke's our vet in the RB now.

  • Uhh yyeeaaahhh, not a RB i was thinking of

    Gunz41G Gunz41 wrote on last edited by
    #45

    @clevfan4life said:

    Uhh yyeeaaahhh, not a RB i was thinking of

    Are you trying to troll? Or drunk and not remembering what you say?

    Not one FA, but a couple could very well put us in the afc champ picture. One of my biggest reasons for making this thread, is the avg lifespan of workhorses like chubb. That potential run game to go with baker is imo a foundation for a SB appearance. Thats my opinion, if u all dont agree, fine. But thats the basis for my "strike now" contention. 

  • @ghoolie said:

    This is not a team that is going to be built through FA. It is CLEAR, Dorsey is the shit. He will build this team organically, and use FA to patch and spot fix, maybe add a special guy here or there. With what he did in the 2018 draft, you have to be out of your mind to now want him in the draft as much as possible.

    ^^^^^What he said^^^^^ And Im sure G meant "  With what he did in the 2018 draft, you have to be out of your mind to NOT want him in the draft as much as possible."

    GhoolieG Ghoolie wrote on last edited by
    #46

    @5150k9 said:

    ^^^^^What he said^^^^^ And Im sure G meant "  With what he did in the 2018 draft, you have to be out of your mind to NOT want him in the draft as much as possible."

    YEP, sorry for the typo. FWIW I am in the process of scheduling 2 eye surgeries. Nothing critical, well, I mean it is eye surgery, but it is a routine, 3-minute process that will remove my lenses, slightly blocked with cataracts and put in new lenses, which they say will return my eyesight to that of an 18-year-old man. No more contacts, no glasses. HOWEVER................because I wore hard lenses all my life, I have had to not wear them and stick to glasses for the past 2 months. My vision is sloppy with glasses so I just don't have the patience to spell check my stuff.

    But, indeed, why would you not want Dorsey drafting as many players as possible? This Browns team is so much fun and I am so proud of them. We have waited for this team since 1999. God Bless John Dorsey, Greg Williams and Freddie Kitchens. go Damn Haslam if he messes with this, RIght now, his team is on auto pilot. He needs to sit back, fidget with his nuts and leave it alone.

  • The Cysko KidT The Cysko Kid wrote on last edited by
    #47

    Looks like no one likes your idea. And with good reason, because it sucks. 

  • @5150k9 said:

    ^^^^^What he said^^^^^ And Im sure G meant "  With what he did in the 2018 draft, you have to be out of your mind to NOT want him in the draft as much as possible."

    YEP, sorry for the typo. FWIW I am in the process of scheduling 2 eye surgeries. Nothing critical, well, I mean it is eye surgery, but it is a routine, 3-minute process that will remove my lenses, slightly blocked with cataracts and put in new lenses, which they say will return my eyesight to that of an 18-year-old man. No more contacts, no glasses. HOWEVER................because I wore hard lenses all my life, I have had to not wear them and stick to glasses for the past 2 months. My vision is sloppy with glasses so I just don't have the patience to spell check my stuff.

    But, indeed, why would you not want Dorsey drafting as many players as possible? This Browns team is so much fun and I am so proud of them. We have waited for this team since 1999. God Bless John Dorsey, Greg Williams and Freddie Kitchens. go Damn Haslam if he messes with this, RIght now, his team is on auto pilot. He needs to sit back, fidget with his nuts and leave it alone.

    hoortaH hoorta wrote on last edited by
    #48

    @ghoolie said:

    YEP, sorry for the typo. FWIW I am in the process of scheduling 2 eye surgeries. Nothing critical, well, I mean it is eye surgery, but it is a routine, 3-minute process that will remove my lenses, slightly blocked with cataracts and put in new lenses, which they say will return my eyesight to that of an 18-year-old man. No more contacts, no glasses. HOWEVER................because I wore hard lenses all my life, I have had to not wear them and stick to glasses for the past 2 months. My vision is sloppy with glasses so I just don't have the patience to spell check my stuff.

    But, indeed, why would you not want Dorsey drafting as many players as possible? This Browns team is so much fun and I am so proud of them. We have waited for this team since 1999. God Bless John Dorsey, Greg Williams and Freddie Kitchens. go Damn Haslam if he messes with this, RIght now, his team is on auto pilot. He needs to sit back, fidget with his nuts and leave it alone.

    Hope the cataract surgery goes well. And it's not a 3 minute procedure either. Just my 0.02- but I'd steer clear of those Surgeons who are trying to cram in as many procedures as they can in a day- so they can buy a private island out in the Caribbean. BTW, if you need reading glasses, they can correct you 20\20 for distance, but you'll still need them for up close. 

    What I did for my surgery was split the difference. Was so damn nearsighted that big E at the top of the chart was just a blur. But up close- I could read microprint. So after, I went from 20\600 to 20\200 distance- but I can still read up close- just take my glasses off.  🙂  

  • @ghoolie said:

    YEP, sorry for the typo. FWIW I am in the process of scheduling 2 eye surgeries. Nothing critical, well, I mean it is eye surgery, but it is a routine, 3-minute process that will remove my lenses, slightly blocked with cataracts and put in new lenses, which they say will return my eyesight to that of an 18-year-old man. No more contacts, no glasses. HOWEVER................because I wore hard lenses all my life, I have had to not wear them and stick to glasses for the past 2 months. My vision is sloppy with glasses so I just don't have the patience to spell check my stuff.

    But, indeed, why would you not want Dorsey drafting as many players as possible? This Browns team is so much fun and I am so proud of them. We have waited for this team since 1999. God Bless John Dorsey, Greg Williams and Freddie Kitchens. go Damn Haslam if he messes with this, RIght now, his team is on auto pilot. He needs to sit back, fidget with his nuts and leave it alone.

    Hope the cataract surgery goes well. And it's not a 3 minute procedure either. Just my 0.02- but I'd steer clear of those Surgeons who are trying to cram in as many procedures as they can in a day- so they can buy a private island out in the Caribbean. BTW, if you need reading glasses, they can correct you 20\20 for distance, but you'll still need them for up close. 

    What I did for my surgery was split the difference. Was so damn nearsighted that big E at the top of the chart was just a blur. But up close- I could read microprint. So after, I went from 20\600 to 20\200 distance- but I can still read up close- just take my glasses off.  🙂  

    GhoolieG Ghoolie wrote on last edited by
    #49

    @hoorta said:

    Hope the cataract surgery goes well. And it's not a 3 minute procedure either. Just my 0.02- but I'd steer clear of those Surgeons who are trying to cram in as many procedures as they can in a day- so they can buy a private island out in the Caribbean. BTW, if you need reading glasses, they can correct you 20\20 for distance, but you'll still need them for up close. 

    What I did for my surgery was split the difference. Was so damn nearsighted that big E at the top of the chart was just a blur. But up close- I could read microprint. So after, I went from 20\600 to 20\200 distance- but I can still read up close- just take my glasses off.  🙂  

    The Physician who is doing mine did the Father of my optometrist, and opthamologist. I am.pptimg for the laser procedure and the high performance lens. I am fine with needing reading glasses. My left eye is just not sharp any more. Once the left is done I am going to have the right done and then voila no more contacts and glasses.

    This has been a pain in the ass. 2 months.in glasses. I am not happy.

  • @clevfan4life said:

    Uhh yyeeaaahhh, not a RB i was thinking of

    Are you trying to troll? Or drunk and not remembering what you say?

    Not one FA, but a couple could very well put us in the afc champ picture. One of my biggest reasons for making this thread, is the avg lifespan of workhorses like chubb. That potential run game to go with baker is imo a foundation for a SB appearance. Thats my opinion, if u all dont agree, fine. But thats the basis for my "strike now" contention. 

    C Clevfan4life wrote on last edited by
    #50

    @gunz41 said:

    Are you trying to troll? Or drunk and not remembering what you say?

    Not one FA, but a couple could very well put us in the afc champ picture. One of my biggest reasons for making this thread, is the avg lifespan of workhorses like chubb. That potential run game to go with baker is imo a foundation for a SB appearance. Thats my opinion, if u all dont agree, fine. But thats the basis for my "strike now" contention. 

    Where does that say i want a FA RB signing? U need to re read my original post, maybe do it slowly and pronounce every word....

    Our current running game to.go along with baker, imo, is the foundation for a SB run....not just a 1st round playoff appearance. So is that saying RB is a "hole" in our team that im saying needs filled now in free agency? OBVIOUSLY not. 

    My point is theres a couple holes in this team that if filled in free agency, may very well put this ream in the AFC championship next year. But if we use the draft, we may acquire a player that takes a couple years to pan out, if he ever does at all. Ofc, my mind may change on draft day depending on how the 1st round pans out...we dont know. Im only sayingbthis might be the year to belichick it and trade out so that we have the ammo the following year to trade higher into the round...which if things go well we'll have an even worse draft pick in 2020......get it?

  • @hoorta said:

    Hope the cataract surgery goes well. And it's not a 3 minute procedure either. Just my 0.02- but I'd steer clear of those Surgeons who are trying to cram in as many procedures as they can in a day- so they can buy a private island out in the Caribbean. BTW, if you need reading glasses, they can correct you 20\20 for distance, but you'll still need them for up close. 

    What I did for my surgery was split the difference. Was so damn nearsighted that big E at the top of the chart was just a blur. But up close- I could read microprint. So after, I went from 20\600 to 20\200 distance- but I can still read up close- just take my glasses off.  🙂  

    The Physician who is doing mine did the Father of my optometrist, and opthamologist. I am.pptimg for the laser procedure and the high performance lens. I am fine with needing reading glasses. My left eye is just not sharp any more. Once the left is done I am going to have the right done and then voila no more contacts and glasses.

    This has been a pain in the ass. 2 months.in glasses. I am not happy.

    T TexasAg1969 wrote on last edited by
    #51

    @ghoolie said:

    The Physician who is doing mine did the Father of my optometrist, and opthamologist. I am.pptimg for the laser procedure and the high performance lens. I am fine with needing reading glasses. My left eye is just not sharp any more. Once the left is done I am going to have the right done and then voila no more contacts and glasses.

    This has been a pain in the ass. 2 months.in glasses. I am not happy.

    After I had both done for better distance vision (because I hike the outdoors for wildlife and vistas), I have been tested at 20/15 vision. Two things really stood out, the really vivid colors that got washed out over the years and the veins in the leaves at the tops of trees. Used to be a dull greenish mass and now they really sparkle individually! Well worth it Tom. And I got a 4X scope for my 22LR pistol because with reading glasses I can see the crosshairs real well and the target is focused downrange by the scope which I can also see very well with the reading glasses. Perfect solution for a target shooter (I only hunt animals with a camera now).?