Skip to content

Trade out of the 1st round next year and address our needs through FA...

Locked The Browns Board
94 33 2.5k 1
  • jiggins7919J jiggins7919 wrote on last edited by
    #53

    I'm too lazy to look it up, but what did the Bears give up for Mack? At least one first rounder, right? And that pick isn't going to be that early, so that's a win. It's the reason I was shouting from the rooftop to make a deal for Mack before anyone else did. Normally I would NEVER entertain trading away a #1 pick, but if the player is right, and they're a young dominant force, why the heck not? I mean, I'm not even sure HOW you'd block Garrett and Mack at the same time, and if you got behind and had to pass? Yeesh. 

    Anyway, you're going to start seeing this more and more. A while ago I said somebody would give up a 1st rounder for Amari Cooper and a few board members absolutely grilled me and made fun of me. Of course it actually happened and I don't look like quite as much of an idiot (well, maybe), and it's been a positive for the Cowboys. 

    For far too long draft picks have been overvalued. I mean, we drafted a backup center with the 33rd pick of the draft, and lord knows what we could've gotten for it. It's too early to know if we made the right move, but we drafted a backup for Tretter, who is beasting on one leg. Hopefully Corbett works out, but I would have loved to know the offers we got for him. 

    The original poster might be a little off here, but I do see his point. One of the best ways to create a winning team is to have your QB playing well at the beginning of his rookie deal. Why is that so important? Because the rookie contracts don't hold a CANDLE to the money QBs will get when it's time to re-sign. Remember the Joe Flacco $100 million contract? What choice did the Ravens have? They paid a bunch of money to their QB because the rookie deal expired and it completely screwed them. 

    So while we don't want to go OVERBOARD, we do want to explore the possibility of trading some picks for players. There will always be teams trending in opposite directions. The Raiders want picks, and they're selling off their players. I'd be shocked if Derek Carr was on the team next year. If Alex Smith retires (my heart hurts for him), don't you think it'd be smart for Washington to trade for him? 

    Let's look at the Khalil Mack trade again. There's almost NO WAY Mack isn't going to be great. The only real threat is injury, and you can't really predict that. Now what's the hit rate for 1st round picks? It's something we know all about. Now obviously you have to PAY Mack a shit load, but if you have the resources, why not? It's part of the reason why I wanted him so badly. We had the cash, let's make the deal. 

    What makes me really excited is John Dorsey has already proven himself to be more than competent, and also someone who isn't afraid to make a big deal. It's a fun time to be a Browns fan, and how awesome is THAT? 

  • D domcucch1994 wrote on last edited by
    #54

    If they trade their 1st rounder go after Von Miller

  • If they trade their 1st rounder go after Von Miller

    jiggins7919J jiggins7919 wrote on last edited by
    #55

    @domcucch1994 said:

    If they trade their 1st rounder go after Von Miller

    And that's the kind of player I'm talking about. Now obviously I don't think Von would be available, but go after somebody like THAT. I really think we're going to see more of those Mack and Amari Cooper deals, as teams become increasingly segregated into the groups of "building a team" and "building assets". 

    It's kind of a fun game to play. The "who would I want on my team" game. For me, it begins and ends with defensive end. Why? Because I want more pressure opposite Garrett. I know our coaches and players are doing a good job of building up Ogbah and celebrating the things he does that don't get statistically recorded or easily noticed. And there could be a lot of truth to that, but I can't help but think that we need someone else there. I had high hopes for Ogbah this year, and I would've bet he was due for a much better statistical season, but we haven't seen it. Has he been bad? I don't think so. But has he made the type of impact we hoped for? 

    Other than defensive ends, I'd love to find a tackle upgrade. That being said, I do think our tackle problem has kind of been less and less of an issue. You almost never even hear Hubbard's name anymore, and Greg Robinson has been locking down the LT spot for weeks now. We know Greg isn't perfect, but the guy is starting to show why he was picked #2 overall. Greg's biggest problem is holding. He holds FAR too much, and he also holds when he doesn't have to. Greg needs to understand that tackles get beat every once in a while, and instead of holding, maybe just have a bit of faith your teammates will still make it work. Now if your qb is about to get smoked, well yeah...hold. Lol. But Greg is really starting to hurt us with these penalties, and he's got to know the refs are watching him. It's frustrating because you can see the talent, the power, and the rare mobility. 

    Anyway, I'd stay tuned after the season is over because we already know Dorsey loves to wheel and deal. I'd be stoked to see us make a "splash deal" and continue to build this team up. I've heard some Browns fans voice frustrations over Jarvis Landry because he's not playing up to his lofty salary, but I disagree. I think Landry's attitude and persona are VITAL to the state of our team, and Landry will only get better if Perriman continues to improve or we sign another stud WR. 

  • B beare wrote on last edited by
    #56

    very good teams build through the draft and mix in a few free agents

  • very good teams build through the draft and mix in a few free agents

    jiggins7919J jiggins7919 wrote on last edited by
    #57

    @beare said:

    very good teams build through the draft and mix in a few free agents

    I think that's been the best method, but I also think things are changing, even it's just a little bit. Look at what the Rams did. While they didn't trade away too many early assets, they saw they had their QB on the rookie contract, and they went out and acquired some free agents and also traded for some talent. Money will get tighter when they have to re-sign Goff, mainly because they had to pay Aaron Donald whatever he wanted. 

  • @beare said:

    very good teams build through the draft and mix in a few free agents

    I think that's been the best method, but I also think things are changing, even it's just a little bit. Look at what the Rams did. While they didn't trade away too many early assets, they saw they had their QB on the rookie contract, and they went out and acquired some free agents and also traded for some talent. Money will get tighter when they have to re-sign Goff, mainly because they had to pay Aaron Donald whatever he wanted. 

    Tour2maT Tour2ma wrote on last edited by
    #58

    @jiggins7919 said:

    I think that's been the best method, but I also think things are changing, even it's just a little bit. Look at what the Rams did. While they didn't trade away too many early assets, they saw they had their QB on the rookie contract, and they went out and acquired some free agents and also traded for some talent. Money will get tighter when they have to re-sign Goff, mainly because they had to pay Aaron Donald whatever he wanted. 

    Even before last nite I'm not sure LAR is a great example to promote the FA route...

    They added Cooks, Whitworth, Peters, Talib and Suh... and since Kupp went down they've been spiraling back to earth.

    Also need to look at who they let leave to help them afford who they brought in. In the Rams case it was some pretty good LBs, Ogletree and Quinn, and a great CB, Johnson.

  • If they trade their 1st rounder go after Von Miller

    T TexasAg1969 wrote on last edited by
    #59

    @domcucch1994 said:

    If they trade their 1st rounder go after Von Miller

    He's already got a Browns jersey. Garrett traded with him after the game Sat.?

  • Looks like no one likes your idea. And with good reason, because it sucks. 

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #60

    @the-cysko-kid said:

    Looks like no one likes your idea. And with good reason, because it sucks. 

    How about this idea:    We keep our draft picks....use them to take more good young players...AND, fill in a few holes here and there with FA veterans. And maybe a trade or two. 

    You know....sorta like what we did this year.

    Traded a bad backup QB for Randall.   You know all about our draft class....picked up Landry in FA (or was he a trade too?)...and a couple of others....Perriman, Robinson, Zeitler, Hubbard  etc. 

  • D BoneD D Bone wrote on last edited by
    #61

    From 1-31 / 0-16 to 6-7-1 and there's still a draft thread before the clock reads 00:00 in week 17......... baby steps I guess. 

  • From 1-31 / 0-16 to 6-7-1 and there's still a draft thread before the clock reads 00:00 in week 17......... baby steps I guess. 

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #62

    @d-bone said:

    From 1-31 / 0-16 to 6-7-1 and there's still a draft thread before the clock reads 00:00 in week 17......... baby steps I guess. 

    Force of habit.

  • U Unsympathetic wrote on last edited by
    #63

    Absolutely not.. we need first-rounders at both DL and OT. 

    We tried the "best" FA OT last offseason and he is not a long-term solution.. it's bizarre this is even a topic.

  • @the-cysko-kid said:

    Looks like no one likes your idea. And with good reason, because it sucks. 

    How about this idea:    We keep our draft picks....use them to take more good young players...AND, fill in a few holes here and there with FA veterans. And maybe a trade or two. 

    You know....sorta like what we did this year.

    Traded a bad backup QB for Randall.   You know all about our draft class....picked up Landry in FA (or was he a trade too?)...and a couple of others....Perriman, Robinson, Zeitler, Hubbard  etc. 

    hoortaH hoorta wrote on last edited by
    #64

    @the-gipper said:

    How about this idea:    We keep our draft picks....use them to take more good young players...AND, fill in a few holes here and there with FA veterans. And maybe a trade or two. 

    You know....sorta like what we did this year.

    Traded a bad backup QB for Randall.   You know all about our draft class....picked up Landry in FA (or was he a trade too?)...and a couple of others....Perriman, Robinson, Zeitler, Hubbard  etc. 

    Landry was a trade, 4th this year, 7th in 2019. In reply to Jiggins, that's why almost everyone thought Jerrah was nuts giving up a first for Cooper. And I'll lay some serious money Amari isn't their ticket to the Super Bowl. 

    Regarding Zietler, FA that tightwad Mike Brown didn't want to pay.

  • @the-gipper said:

    How about this idea:    We keep our draft picks....use them to take more good young players...AND, fill in a few holes here and there with FA veterans. And maybe a trade or two. 

    You know....sorta like what we did this year.

    Traded a bad backup QB for Randall.   You know all about our draft class....picked up Landry in FA (or was he a trade too?)...and a couple of others....Perriman, Robinson, Zeitler, Hubbard  etc. 

    Landry was a trade, 4th this year, 7th in 2019. In reply to Jiggins, that's why almost everyone thought Jerrah was nuts giving up a first for Cooper. And I'll lay some serious money Amari isn't their ticket to the Super Bowl. 

    Regarding Zietler, FA that tightwad Mike Brown didn't want to pay.

    U Unsympathetic wrote on last edited by Unsympathetic
    #65

    @hoorta said:

    And I'll lay some serious money Amari isn't their ticket to the Super Bowl. 

    Also, the Amari acquisition failing to produce the promised SB victory [never mind the reality that Dallas' win streak plausibly would have happened without Cooper because their opponents' D has been really bad {20th or lower in DVOA} outside of Saints..] won't stop people from asserting in the future that !playmakerz! alone will solve all the problems.

  • Absolutely not.. we need first-rounders at both DL and OT. 

    We tried the "best" FA OT last offseason and he is not a long-term solution.. it's bizarre this is even a topic.

    C Clevfan4life wrote on last edited by
    #66

    @unsympathetic said:

    Absolutely not.. we need first-rounders at both DL and OT. 

    We tried the "best" FA OT last offseason and he is not a long-term solution.. it's bizarre this is even a topic.

    We did? Who? Cause theres gonna be taylor lewan out there this year, we wanna protect baker right?

  • Bob806B Bob806 wrote on last edited by Bob806
    #67

    @dutch-oven said:

    😉

    wpNIWlK.jpg

    Yep. I agree with D Bone...

    My goodness, we're actually a competitive team for the first time since 2007, and we have yet another DRAFT thread. 

    To each his own, I just find the endless draft speculation uninteresting. Merry Christmas, beat the BenGals.

  • @unsympathetic said:

    Absolutely not.. we need first-rounders at both DL and OT. 

    We tried the "best" FA OT last offseason and he is not a long-term solution.. it's bizarre this is even a topic.

    We did? Who? Cause theres gonna be taylor lewan out there this year, we wanna protect baker right?

    U Unsympathetic wrote on last edited by Unsympathetic
    #68

    @clevfan4life said:

    We did? Who? 

    Hubbard was 5/38 last offseason from Pitt, and he has been bad enough to consider cutting outright and taking the dead-money hit.  Tretter and Zeitler were two offseasons ago and those two were both the top-$$ and best FA OL at their positions on the market.. those two players alone are 19M of our annual cap. [somebody might have matched Tretter's 7 but zeitler's 12.5 is quite a lot]

    Lewan is certainly worth considering, but they may want to have at least one of the OL starters be on a rookie deal.  Bitonio can't be an All-Pro on a rookie salary forever.

  • I'm too lazy to look it up, but what did the Bears give up for Mack? At least one first rounder, right? And that pick isn't going to be that early, so that's a win. It's the reason I was shouting from the rooftop to make a deal for Mack before anyone else did. Normally I would NEVER entertain trading away a #1 pick, but if the player is right, and they're a young dominant force, why the heck not? I mean, I'm not even sure HOW you'd block Garrett and Mack at the same time, and if you got behind and had to pass? Yeesh. 

    Anyway, you're going to start seeing this more and more. A while ago I said somebody would give up a 1st rounder for Amari Cooper and a few board members absolutely grilled me and made fun of me. Of course it actually happened and I don't look like quite as much of an idiot (well, maybe), and it's been a positive for the Cowboys. 

    For far too long draft picks have been overvalued. I mean, we drafted a backup center with the 33rd pick of the draft, and lord knows what we could've gotten for it. It's too early to know if we made the right move, but we drafted a backup for Tretter, who is beasting on one leg. Hopefully Corbett works out, but I would have loved to know the offers we got for him. 

    The original poster might be a little off here, but I do see his point. One of the best ways to create a winning team is to have your QB playing well at the beginning of his rookie deal. Why is that so important? Because the rookie contracts don't hold a CANDLE to the money QBs will get when it's time to re-sign. Remember the Joe Flacco $100 million contract? What choice did the Ravens have? They paid a bunch of money to their QB because the rookie deal expired and it completely screwed them. 

    So while we don't want to go OVERBOARD, we do want to explore the possibility of trading some picks for players. There will always be teams trending in opposite directions. The Raiders want picks, and they're selling off their players. I'd be shocked if Derek Carr was on the team next year. If Alex Smith retires (my heart hurts for him), don't you think it'd be smart for Washington to trade for him? 

    Let's look at the Khalil Mack trade again. There's almost NO WAY Mack isn't going to be great. The only real threat is injury, and you can't really predict that. Now what's the hit rate for 1st round picks? It's something we know all about. Now obviously you have to PAY Mack a shit load, but if you have the resources, why not? It's part of the reason why I wanted him so badly. We had the cash, let's make the deal. 

    What makes me really excited is John Dorsey has already proven himself to be more than competent, and also someone who isn't afraid to make a big deal. It's a fun time to be a Browns fan, and how awesome is THAT? 

    Gunz41G Gunz41 wrote on last edited by
    #69

    @jiggins7919 said:

    I'm too lazy to look it up, but what did the Bears give up for Mack? At least one first rounder, right? And that pick isn't going to be that early, so that's a win. It's the reason I was shouting from the rooftop to make a deal for Mack before anyone else did. Normally I would NEVER entertain trading away a #1 pick, but if the player is right, and they're a young dominant force, why the heck not? I mean, I'm not even sure HOW you'd block Garrett and Mack at the same time, and if you got behind and had to pass? Yeesh. 

    Anyway, you're going to start seeing this more and more. A while ago I said somebody would give up a 1st rounder for Amari Cooper and a few board members absolutely grilled me and made fun of me. Of course it actually happened and I don't look like quite as much of an idiot (well, maybe), and it's been a positive for the Cowboys. 

    For far too long draft picks have been overvalued. I mean, we drafted a backup center with the 33rd pick of the draft, and lord knows what we could've gotten for it. It's too early to know if we made the right move, but we drafted a backup for Tretter, who is beasting on one leg. Hopefully Corbett works out, but I would have loved to know the offers we got for him. 

    The original poster might be a little off here, but I do see his point. One of the best ways to create a winning team is to have your QB playing well at the beginning of his rookie deal. Why is that so important? Because the rookie contracts don't hold a CANDLE to the money QBs will get when it's time to re-sign. Remember the Joe Flacco $100 million contract? What choice did the Ravens have? They paid a bunch of money to their QB because the rookie deal expired and it completely screwed them. 

    So while we don't want to go OVERBOARD, we do want to explore the possibility of trading some picks for players. There will always be teams trending in opposite directions. The Raiders want picks, and they're selling off their players. I'd be shocked if Derek Carr was on the team next year. If Alex Smith retires (my heart hurts for him), don't you think it'd be smart for Washington to trade for him? 

    Let's look at the Khalil Mack trade again. There's almost NO WAY Mack isn't going to be great. The only real threat is injury, and you can't really predict that. Now what's the hit rate for 1st round picks? It's something we know all about. Now obviously you have to PAY Mack a shit load, but if you have the resources, why not? It's part of the reason why I wanted him so badly. We had the cash, let's make the deal. 

    What makes me really excited is John Dorsey has already proven himself to be more than competent, and also someone who isn't afraid to make a big deal. It's a fun time to be a Browns fan, and how awesome is THAT? 

    2 1st rounders, a 3rd, and a 6th

  • @unsympathetic said:

    Absolutely not.. we need first-rounders at both DL and OT. 

    We tried the "best" FA OT last offseason and he is not a long-term solution.. it's bizarre this is even a topic.

    We did? Who? Cause theres gonna be taylor lewan out there this year, we wanna protect baker right?

    hoortaH hoorta wrote on last edited by
    #70

    @clevfan4life said:

    We did? Who? Cause there's gonna be taylor lewan out there this year, we wanna protect baker right?

    Please engage brain before posting. Do you ever do a little research before throwing out names? Well I did. https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/tennessee-titans/taylor-lewan-14420/

    1) Lewan isn't a free agent- he signed a new deal this year giving him Joe Thomas money. Already told you once that was going to be his price tag regardless, you weren't listening. 

    2) So, the only way the Browns could get him is in a trade, and if you think the Titans would trade their Pro Bowl level left tackle for anything short of a King's Ransom- you're out of your ever loving mind. 

  • @gunz41 said:

    Are you trying to troll? Or drunk and not remembering what you say?

    Not one FA, but a couple could very well put us in the afc champ picture. One of my biggest reasons for making this thread, is the avg lifespan of workhorses like chubb. That potential run game to go with baker is imo a foundation for a SB appearance. Thats my opinion, if u all dont agree, fine. But thats the basis for my "strike now" contention. 

    Where does that say i want a FA RB signing? U need to re read my original post, maybe do it slowly and pronounce every word....

    Our current running game to.go along with baker, imo, is the foundation for a SB run....not just a 1st round playoff appearance. So is that saying RB is a "hole" in our team that im saying needs filled now in free agency? OBVIOUSLY not. 

    My point is theres a couple holes in this team that if filled in free agency, may very well put this ream in the AFC championship next year. But if we use the draft, we may acquire a player that takes a couple years to pan out, if he ever does at all. Ofc, my mind may change on draft day depending on how the 1st round pans out...we dont know. Im only sayingbthis might be the year to belichick it and trade out so that we have the ammo the following year to trade higher into the round...which if things go well we'll have an even worse draft pick in 2020......get it?

    Gunz41G Gunz41 wrote on last edited by
    #71

    @clevfan4life said:

    Where does that say i want a FA RB signing? U need to re read my original post, maybe do it slowly and pronounce every word....

    Our current running game to.go along with baker, imo, is the foundation for a SB run....not just a 1st round playoff appearance. So is that saying RB is a "hole" in our team that im saying needs filled now in free agency? OBVIOUSLY not. 

    My point is theres a couple holes in this team that if filled in free agency, may very well put this ream in the AFC championship next year. But if we use the draft, we may acquire a player that takes a couple years to pan out, if he ever does at all. Ofc, my mind may change on draft day depending on how the 1st round pans out...we dont know. Im only sayingbthis might be the year to belichick it and trade out so that we have the ammo the following year to trade higher into the round...which if things go well we'll have an even worse draft pick in 2020......get it?

    Have your opinion all you want. You could be right. I commented because it seems like you are going all over the place.

    And if you dont see how that message looks like you are talking about a RB "One of my biggest reasons for making this thread, is the avg lifespan of workhorses like chubb."

    Maybe it wasn't your intention, just how it appears 

  • @jiggins7919 said:

    I'm too lazy to look it up, but what did the Bears give up for Mack? At least one first rounder, right? And that pick isn't going to be that early, so that's a win. It's the reason I was shouting from the rooftop to make a deal for Mack before anyone else did. Normally I would NEVER entertain trading away a #1 pick, but if the player is right, and they're a young dominant force, why the heck not? I mean, I'm not even sure HOW you'd block Garrett and Mack at the same time, and if you got behind and had to pass? Yeesh. 

    Anyway, you're going to start seeing this more and more. A while ago I said somebody would give up a 1st rounder for Amari Cooper and a few board members absolutely grilled me and made fun of me. Of course it actually happened and I don't look like quite as much of an idiot (well, maybe), and it's been a positive for the Cowboys. 

    For far too long draft picks have been overvalued. I mean, we drafted a backup center with the 33rd pick of the draft, and lord knows what we could've gotten for it. It's too early to know if we made the right move, but we drafted a backup for Tretter, who is beasting on one leg. Hopefully Corbett works out, but I would have loved to know the offers we got for him. 

    The original poster might be a little off here, but I do see his point. One of the best ways to create a winning team is to have your QB playing well at the beginning of his rookie deal. Why is that so important? Because the rookie contracts don't hold a CANDLE to the money QBs will get when it's time to re-sign. Remember the Joe Flacco $100 million contract? What choice did the Ravens have? They paid a bunch of money to their QB because the rookie deal expired and it completely screwed them. 

    So while we don't want to go OVERBOARD, we do want to explore the possibility of trading some picks for players. There will always be teams trending in opposite directions. The Raiders want picks, and they're selling off their players. I'd be shocked if Derek Carr was on the team next year. If Alex Smith retires (my heart hurts for him), don't you think it'd be smart for Washington to trade for him? 

    Let's look at the Khalil Mack trade again. There's almost NO WAY Mack isn't going to be great. The only real threat is injury, and you can't really predict that. Now what's the hit rate for 1st round picks? It's something we know all about. Now obviously you have to PAY Mack a shit load, but if you have the resources, why not? It's part of the reason why I wanted him so badly. We had the cash, let's make the deal. 

    What makes me really excited is John Dorsey has already proven himself to be more than competent, and also someone who isn't afraid to make a big deal. It's a fun time to be a Browns fan, and how awesome is THAT? 

    2 1st rounders, a 3rd, and a 6th

    hoortaH hoorta wrote on last edited by
    #72

    @gunz41 said:

    2- 1st rounders, a 3rd, and a 6th

    And if he (Mack) doesn't take them to a few Super Bowls, the Bears gave up too much.  MHO.