Conference Finals live Chat room
-
Browns fan from beginning...to end.
...but I always held the Rams as a very distant 2nd favorite team. I used to like Roman Gabriel / Jack Snow, Merlin Olsen / Deacon Jones days.
I held no grudge against the Rams- way back in the days of the Fearsome Foursome. Loved Merlin Olson. But those days are long gone. They became the Carpetbagging Shams.
This is the Cliff Notes version, if your want the whole shady story, you can read it here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_the_St._Louis_Rams
Prior to the Rams 1979 Super Bowl season, owner Carroll Rosenbloom drowned in an accident. His widow, Georgia Frontiere, inherited 70% ownership of the team. Frontiere fired her step-son, Steve Rosenbloom, and assumed total control of the franchise." Georgia then strong-armed the League getting her to move to St. Louis a few years later...
Falling on hard times in St. Louis, another deal- which was not allowed by League rules (can't own other major league sports franchises)the team was sold to Missouri Native Carpetbagger Stan Kroenke. If you think Modell was bad- at least he wasn't originally from Ohio. Even though St Louis had the best improved stadium deal on the table, Kroenke flipped the city the bird, and (with the blessing of can we say dirtball Jerry Jones) moved the team back to LA, which the League had long wanted to have a team in the #2 TV market in the country- even though apparently the locals could care less... And in case you're interested, St. Louis is a bigger market than at least nine other cities that currently have NFL teams.... Too bad, because I can't see them getting an NFL team back in the foreseeable future...
So screw you Rams... And while were at it- screw you too Patriots. At least those UCLA basketball Championships in the '60s are ancient history, and I hope 50 years from now New England is waiting for their next Super Bowl appearance... You've won more than your share. Super Bowl LIII, and the Browns and Lions are still waiting for their first trip....
-
-
-
Browns fan from beginning...to end.
...but I always held the Rams as a very distant 2nd favorite team. I used to like Roman Gabriel / Jack Snow, Merlin Olsen / Deacon Jones days.
I held no grudge against the Rams- way back in the days of the Fearsome Foursome. Loved Merlin Olson. But those days are long gone. They became the Carpetbagging Shams.
This is the Cliff Notes version, if your want the whole shady story, you can read it here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_the_St._Louis_Rams
Prior to the Rams 1979 Super Bowl season, owner Carroll Rosenbloom drowned in an accident. His widow, Georgia Frontiere, inherited 70% ownership of the team. Frontiere fired her step-son, Steve Rosenbloom, and assumed total control of the franchise." Georgia then strong-armed the League getting her to move to St. Louis a few years later...
Falling on hard times in St. Louis, another deal- which was not allowed by League rules (can't own other major league sports franchises)the team was sold to Missouri Native Carpetbagger Stan Kroenke. If you think Modell was bad- at least he wasn't originally from Ohio. Even though St Louis had the best improved stadium deal on the table, Kroenke flipped the city the bird, and (with the blessing of can we say dirtball Jerry Jones) moved the team back to LA, which the League had long wanted to have a team in the #2 TV market in the country- even though apparently the locals could care less... And in case you're interested, St. Louis is a bigger market than at least nine other cities that currently have NFL teams.... Too bad, because I can't see them getting an NFL team back in the foreseeable future...
So screw you Rams... And while were at it- screw you too Patriots. At least those UCLA basketball Championships in the '60s are ancient history, and I hope 50 years from now New England is waiting for their next Super Bowl appearance... You've won more than your share. Super Bowl LIII, and the Browns and Lions are still waiting for their first trip....
I held no grudge against the Rams- way back in the days of the Fearsome Foursome. Loved Merlin Olson. But those days are long gone. They became the Carpetbagging Shams.
This is the Cliff Notes version, if your want the whole shady story, you can read it here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_the_St._Louis_Rams
Prior to the Rams 1979 Super Bowl season, owner Carroll Rosenbloom drowned in an accident. His widow, Georgia Frontiere, inherited 70% ownership of the team. Frontiere fired her step-son, Steve Rosenbloom, and assumed total control of the franchise." Georgia then strong-armed the League getting her to move to St. Louis a few years later...
Falling on hard times in St. Louis, another deal- which was not allowed by League rules (can't own other major league sports franchises)the team was sold to Missouri Native Carpetbagger Stan Kroenke. If you think Modell was bad- at least he wasn't originally from Ohio. Even though St Louis had the best improved stadium deal on the table, Kroenke flipped the city the bird, and (with the blessing of can we say dirtball Jerry Jones) moved the team back to LA, which the League had long wanted to have a team in the #2 TV market in the country- even though apparently the locals could care less... And in case you're interested, St. Louis is a bigger market than at least nine other cities that currently have NFL teams.... Too bad, because I can't see them getting an NFL team back in the foreseeable future...
So screw you Rams... And while were at it- screw you too Patriots. At least those UCLA basketball Championships in the '60s are ancient history, and I hope 50 years from now New England is waiting for their next Super Bowl appearance... You've won more than your share. Super Bowl LIII, and the Browns and Lions are still waiting for their first trip....
The Browns won seven championships in a 10 year time span so I’m not worried about the patriots matching that
-
Not entirely accurate. I'm not rooting for the Rams and I'd be willing to be the majority of San Diego county isn't either. San Diego is anti-Los Angeles in any sport.
But the question is would the majority of the people in the state of California prefer the rams are the patriots. Not just San Diego
-
I held no grudge against the Rams- way back in the days of the Fearsome Foursome. Loved Merlin Olson. But those days are long gone. They became the Carpetbagging Shams.
This is the Cliff Notes version, if your want the whole shady story, you can read it here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_the_St._Louis_Rams
Prior to the Rams 1979 Super Bowl season, owner Carroll Rosenbloom drowned in an accident. His widow, Georgia Frontiere, inherited 70% ownership of the team. Frontiere fired her step-son, Steve Rosenbloom, and assumed total control of the franchise." Georgia then strong-armed the League getting her to move to St. Louis a few years later...
Falling on hard times in St. Louis, another deal- which was not allowed by League rules (can't own other major league sports franchises)the team was sold to Missouri Native Carpetbagger Stan Kroenke. If you think Modell was bad- at least he wasn't originally from Ohio. Even though St Louis had the best improved stadium deal on the table, Kroenke flipped the city the bird, and (with the blessing of can we say dirtball Jerry Jones) moved the team back to LA, which the League had long wanted to have a team in the #2 TV market in the country- even though apparently the locals could care less... And in case you're interested, St. Louis is a bigger market than at least nine other cities that currently have NFL teams.... Too bad, because I can't see them getting an NFL team back in the foreseeable future...
So screw you Rams... And while were at it- screw you too Patriots. At least those UCLA basketball Championships in the '60s are ancient history, and I hope 50 years from now New England is waiting for their next Super Bowl appearance... You've won more than your share. Super Bowl LIII, and the Browns and Lions are still waiting for their first trip....
The Browns won seven championships in a 10 year time span so I’m not worried about the patriots matching that
The Browns won seven championships in a 10 year time span so I’m not worried about the patriots matching that
You forced me to look this up. The AAFC did not entirely merge with the NFL- as the AFL did. The Browns won three championships from 1950 until 1964 by NFL reckoning- by Pro Football HOF standards, and that's the yardstick that matters, not yours. According to the NFL- your count doesn't mean jack shit, as far as official records are concerned. Anything Otto Graham did prior to 1950? Ditto. Three teams in the (minor league) AAFC folded. Go ahead, count those AAFC championships if you must. They mean about as much as any team that won a USFL Championship- where a lot of "useful" players from that league wound up in the NFL when the league folded, including several that landed on the Browns...
I'm not saying the AAFC Browns weren't a great team, just don't go saying "I count those Championships" because the NFL doesn't.
-
-
-
The Browns won seven championships in a 10 year time span so I’m not worried about the patriots matching that
You forced me to look this up. The AAFC did not entirely merge with the NFL- as the AFL did. The Browns won three championships from 1950 until 1964 by NFL reckoning- by Pro Football HOF standards, and that's the yardstick that matters, not yours. According to the NFL- your count doesn't mean jack shit, as far as official records are concerned. Anything Otto Graham did prior to 1950? Ditto. Three teams in the (minor league) AAFC folded. Go ahead, count those AAFC championships if you must. They mean about as much as any team that won a USFL Championship- where a lot of "useful" players from that league wound up in the NFL when the league folded, including several that landed on the Browns...
I'm not saying the AAFC Browns weren't a great team, just don't go saying "I count those Championships" because the NFL doesn't.
I'm not saying the AAFC Browns weren't a great team, just don't go saying "I count those Championships" because the NFL doesn't.
That is true, shouldn't be, but it is true.
There's an argument that can be made that the AAFC in its last two seasons was overall a better league than the NFL. It might be thought of as a minor league, but it most likely was as good as the NFL at its end.
One of the best Browns books I've ever read dives into this topic: https://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/best-show-in-football-andy-piascik/1111631235
-
The Browns won seven championships in a 10 year time span so I’m not worried about the patriots matching that
You forced me to look this up. The AAFC did not entirely merge with the NFL- as the AFL did. The Browns won three championships from 1950 until 1964 by NFL reckoning- by Pro Football HOF standards, and that's the yardstick that matters, not yours. According to the NFL- your count doesn't mean jack shit, as far as official records are concerned. Anything Otto Graham did prior to 1950? Ditto. Three teams in the (minor league) AAFC folded. Go ahead, count those AAFC championships if you must. They mean about as much as any team that won a USFL Championship- where a lot of "useful" players from that league wound up in the NFL when the league folded, including several that landed on the Browns...
I'm not saying the AAFC Browns weren't a great team, just don't go saying "I count those Championships" because the NFL doesn't.
You forced me to look this up. The AAFC did not entirely merge with the NFL- as the AFL did. The Browns won three championships from 1950 until 1964 by NFL reckoning- by Pro Football HOF standards, and that's the yardstick that matters, not yours. According to the NFL- your count doesn't mean jack shit, as far as official records are concerned. Anything Otto Graham did prior to 1950? Ditto. Three teams in the (minor league) AAFC folded. Go ahead, count those AAFC championships if you must. They mean about as much as any team that won a USFL Championship- where a lot of "useful" players from that league wound up in the NFL when the league folded, including several that landed on the Browns...
I'm not saying the AAFC Browns weren't a great team, just don't go saying "I count those Championships" because the NFL doesn't.
Your key word was "Entirely". But it was still a merger.
Almost all mergers are only partial mergers. When the ABA merged with the NBA....that was only partial. Only some teams came in....its why we have no Kentucky Colonels in the NBA, or Virginia Squires, or Pittsburgh Pipers or Utah Stars. So a number of teams often do not make it into mergers. But some did: Nets, Nuggets, Pacers, Spurs
Same with the WHL/NHL merger. It was a partial merger. The Quebec Nordiques (nka Colorado Avalanche), The Hartford Whalers nka Carolina Hurricane. The Edmonton Oilers and the Winnipeg Jets.....
So...actually, the AFL/NFL merger is the outlier in major league sports mergers. The only one where all the teams from both leagues combined to remain active.
And FYI...the AAFC was certainly NOT a "minor league" compared to the NFL at the time. The AAFC paid its players more....it had greater average attendance...and there is that little thing where the AAFC Champion played in 6 consecutive NFL title games after it joined...and that AAFC teams won 5 of the 10 NFL titles in the first decade after the merger.
The AAFC didn't survive because the Browns were too good.
And FYI....the NFL is NOT the keeper of the records. The Hall of Fame counts those titles.....as does the likes of the Sporting News...and every other reporting body. The NFL's opinion is just one of many when it comes to this.....and is by NO means the authoritative opionion.
And you can ignore the history of why the NFL chooses not to do so all you want. It does not make it any less of a fact of what that history is because some people choose to ignore or deny it. (I could bring up the whole Holocaust thing....)
-
Honest question: The Patriots in the south is Lousiana, where New Orleans is? I don't know by heart all the states.
The Patriots are in New England...in the very northeast of the country....the ONLY place that this map has that supposedly a majority of the people there would want the Pats to win.....except for Louisiana.
And they have Louisiana going for the Pats because they assume there is resentment because of the bitter loss that the New Orleans (Louisiana) Saints just suffered to the LA Rams.
-
Honest question: The Patriots in the south is Lousiana, where New Orleans is? I don't know by heart all the states.
The Patriots are in New England...in the very northeast of the country....the ONLY place that this map has that supposedly a majority of the people there would want the Pats to win.....except for Louisiana.
And they have Louisiana going for the Pats because they assume there is resentment because of the bitter loss that the New Orleans (Louisiana) Saints just suffered to the LA Rams.
The Patriots are in New England...in the very northeast of the country....the ONLY place that this map has that supposedly a majority of the people there would want the Pats to win.....except for Louisiana.
And they have Louisiana going for the Pats because they assume there is resentment because of the bitter loss that the New Orleans (Louisiana) Saints just suffered to the LA Rams.
It was a pure geographical question, non-football related. I had understood the joke

-
I'm not saying the AAFC Browns weren't a great team, just don't go saying "I count those Championships" because the NFL doesn't.
That is true, shouldn't be, but it is true.
There's an argument that can be made that the AAFC in its last two seasons was overall a better league than the NFL. It might be thought of as a minor league, but it most likely was as good as the NFL at its end.
One of the best Browns books I've ever read dives into this topic: https://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/best-show-in-football-andy-piascik/1111631235
That is true, shouldn't be, but it is true.
There's an argument that can be made that the AAFC in its last two seasons was overall a better league than the NFL. It might be thought of as a minor league, but it most likely was as good as the NFL at its end.
One of the best Browns books I've ever read dives into this topic: https://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/best-show-in-football-andy-piascik/1111631235
As I said....the AAFC was no more of a minor league than the AFL was. Sure, perhaps overall in the beginning both leagues would not have been able to match up game to game vs. the NFL.
The Browns certainly would have however. There had been proposed after the initial AAFC season that a "World Series of Football" be held between the winners of the AAFC and the winners of the NFL. You know, kind of like a "super bowl" game. The NFL refused. to do that. But there is no doubt in my mind that if the AAFC Champion Browns had played the NFL champions those years that the Browns would have easily won vs. the 1947 NFL Champions Chicago Cardinals...and the 48/49 NFL champion Phil. Eagles. (The Browns manhandled the Eagles in their first ever NFL game). The real game would have been the 1946 Browns vs. the 1946 Bears......that could have been a barnburner:
George Halas vs. Paul Brown
Sid Luckman vs. Otto Graham.
The Monsters of the Midway vs. the........I don't think the Browns defense had a nickname at that time. ...a damned good Browns defense
-
The Patriots are in New England...in the very northeast of the country....the ONLY place that this map has that supposedly a majority of the people there would want the Pats to win.....except for Louisiana.
And they have Louisiana going for the Pats because they assume there is resentment because of the bitter loss that the New Orleans (Louisiana) Saints just suffered to the LA Rams.
It was a pure geographical question, non-football related. I had understood the joke

-
I understood, and I was giving you the geography. Any other questions of the sort?
Nah, thanks. I told you that because Orion had already responded to my question. I know that USA has California, Texas, Florida, Washington, Ohio, Louisiana... And fortysome Dakotas.
-
I understood, and I was giving you the geography. Any other questions of the sort?
Nah, thanks. I told you that because Orion had already responded to my question. I know that USA has California, Texas, Florida, Washington, Ohio, Louisiana... And fortysome Dakotas.
-
Here is some geographical data: States who had teams win the most Championships (NFL, AFL, AAFC)
Ohio: 13 (4 or 5 franchises: Pro/Rams/Browns/Bulldogs)
Wisconsin: 13.....all Packers
New York: 11....Jets/Giants/Bills (note...count Jets/Giants as NY even though they play in New Jersey)
California: 11... Chargers/Rams/49ers/Raiders
Pennsylvania: 11.....Yellow Jackets/Eagles/Steelers
Illinois: 10 Bears/Cardinals
Texas: 8 .....Cowboys/Dall. Texans/Oilers
Massachussets: 5 Patriots
Maryland: 5: Colts/Ravens
Washington DC: 5 Redskins (count as DC even though they play in Maryland)
Michigan: 4......Lions
Colorado: 3.....Broncos
Florida: 3.....Dolphins, Bucs
Missouri: 3.....Chiefs/Rams
Indiana: 1....Colts
Louisiana: 1....Saints
Washington State: 1 Seahawks
Rhode Island: 1 Steam Roller
(states that currently have teams, but have never won a title: Arizona, Minnesota, Tennessee, North Carolina, Georgia
-
I understood, and I was giving you the geography. Any other questions of the sort?
Nah, thanks. I told you that because Orion had already responded to my question. I know that USA has California, Texas, Florida, Washington, Ohio, Louisiana... And fortysome Dakotas.
Nah, thanks. I told you that because Orion had already responded to my question. I know that USA has California, Texas, Florida, Washington, Ohio, Louisiana... And fortysome Dakotas.
You of all people shouldn't forget Maine. Remember the Maine? We had to kick your asses in a war over the Maine.


-
Here is some geographical data: States who had teams win the most Championships (NFL, AFL, AAFC)
Ohio: 13 (4 or 5 franchises: Pro/Rams/Browns/Bulldogs)
Wisconsin: 13.....all Packers
New York: 11....Jets/Giants/Bills (note...count Jets/Giants as NY even though they play in New Jersey)
California: 11... Chargers/Rams/49ers/Raiders
Pennsylvania: 11.....Yellow Jackets/Eagles/Steelers
Illinois: 10 Bears/Cardinals
Texas: 8 .....Cowboys/Dall. Texans/Oilers
Massachussets: 5 Patriots
Maryland: 5: Colts/Ravens
Washington DC: 5 Redskins (count as DC even though they play in Maryland)
Michigan: 4......Lions
Colorado: 3.....Broncos
Florida: 3.....Dolphins, Bucs
Missouri: 3.....Chiefs/Rams
Indiana: 1....Colts
Louisiana: 1....Saints
Washington State: 1 Seahawks
Rhode Island: 1 Steam Roller
(states that currently have teams, but have never won a title: Arizona, Minnesota, Tennessee, North Carolina, Georgia
(states that currently have teams, but have never won a title: Arizona, Minnesota, Tennessee, North Carolina
Georgia?
You of all people shouldn't forget Maine. Remember the Maine? We had to kick your asses in a war over the Maine.


Lol. Damn you... I remember Maine, I was just setting up the joke. In fact, it's 7pm and I'm still studying so I decided to rehearse my knowledge of the states at https://online.seterra.com/en/vgp/3003... Here are the results:



This one got me pretty angry...

-
I think you need to explain this "test"....
and why would you get angry over Nebraska. No one gets mad at Nebraska.
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login

