The Combine
-
-
Akron St. Vincent St. Mary
Do you see now why I was " banging the drum for a 6 round Prospect". Because if Hakeem Butler were available in the 6 round that would be the steal of the draft.
-
Well, if you're looking at another vertical threat for speed alone - Parris Campbell is certainly on the Browns radar. Was incredibly surprised by his footwork. It's fantastic and smooth. Kid can play all over the formation and will be a real steal. Might end up being a Santonio Holmes type deal and slides into the 1st round.
-
I know Parris is only about 6' tall, but his ability is huge. But he's a football player, and could be as much a surprise
as Michael Thomas, though Thomas was 6'3"
-
Rewatched Haskins throws. You can forget about Murray being the 1st QB off the board unless Kingsbury wants to commit career suicide.
-
Haskins is a traditional QB. Murray is more of a fit in Kingsbury’s offense which is why the belief if Murray going number 1 and Cardinals possibly trading Rosen. (Dolphins maybe)
Campbell has blazing speed. Just send him on a drag route and get the ball in his hands.
-
I didn't watch. Who ran the gauntlet the best? (that tells who can 'really' catch the ball)
youtube it or it will be on again & again up to 9am sunday..hard to tell, it was done well..TE's Irv Smith jr slightly over Fant maybe..Loads of mid round WR's did well..(ya got to see Steve Smith tell the QB from buffalo to "ice up son, on them lasers from 10 yards" ?)
-
I didn't watch. Who ran the gauntlet the best? (that tells who can 'really' catch the ball)
youtube it or it will be on again & again up to 9am sunday..hard to tell, it was done well..TE's Irv Smith jr slightly over Fant maybe..Loads of mid round WR's did well..(ya got to see Steve Smith tell the QB from buffalo to "ice up son, on them lasers from 10 yards" ?)
-
-
Rewatched Haskins throws. You can forget about Murray being the 1st QB off the board unless Kingsbury wants to commit career suicide.
Rewatched Haskins throws. You can forget about Murray being the 1st QB off the board unless Kingsbury wants to commit career suicide.
Haskins is a traditional QB. Murray is more of a fit in Kingsbury’s offense which is why the belief if Murray going number 1 and Cardinals possibly trading Rosen. (Dolphins maybe)
I'll agree with tia- Murray #1 overall is insane. Is he that much better than Lamar Jackson, who lasted until the end of the 1st round? Make that double doo-doo, because they already have Rosen. I will literally bust a gut laughing if the Schmardinals trade Rosen and he winds up being a better NFL QB than Murray. Sounds like something the pre Dorsey Browns would do- and that IMHO would top anything from that era.
But from a Browns homer perspective, Murray going #1 overall is the cat's meow. Is Rosen worth what some other QB needy team that drafts ahead of the Browns at #17 be willing to pay? Absolutely in my book. Haskins will be long gone too. So that will make at least 3 top defenders fall down the board into our lap.
-
My point is small doesn't matter anymore. The spread has entered the NFL as I predicted 10 years ago. Don't underestimate Murray because he seems short.
I'd take Murray over Haskins. He's a better player.
Sorry if I'm an Ohio State Homer. Care to bet? I have Haskins going ahead of Murray. (just about every mock I've seen does too) Saw plenty of Dwayne. Scouts rave about his football IQ, Mayfield level arm, he's plenty accurate enough, and mobile enough. To my mind Kyler is a smaller version of Lamar Jackson, maybe a tad more accuracy. He tries running like Jackson, assuming he de-bulks- he's gonna get killed in short order. Checking- Lamar is 6' 3", 212, and didn't have to bulk up to get to that weight...
Yes, it does. Just dismissing it yet despite a lot of evidence to the contrary...? Not wise.
Too early to say (with only Russell Wilson as the current outlier) that less than 6' for a qb doesn't matter anymore. Murray succeeds, scouts and NFL GMs will start changing their minds.
Another thing about Murray in comparison to Mayfield is Baker had a lot more college starts than Kyler. Yeah, I know Trubisky was another of the outliers in the Parcells' major predictors of NFL success... But then Mitch is 6' 2", and I raved about his accuracy coming out...
Sorry if I'm an Ohio State Homer. Care to bet? I have Haskins going ahead of Murray. (just about every mock I've seen does too) Saw plenty of Dwayne. Scouts rave about his football IQ, Mayfield level arm, he's plenty accurate enough, and mobile enough. To my mind Kyler is a smaller version of Lamar Jackson, maybe a tad more accuracy. He tries running like Jackson, assuming he de-bulks- he's gonna get killed in short order. Checking- Lamar is 6' 3", 212, and didn't have to bulk up to get to that weight...
Too early to say (with only Russell Wilson as the current outlier) that less than 6' for a qb doesn't matter anymore. Murray succeeds, scouts and NFL GMs will start changing their minds.
Another thing about Murray in comparison to Mayfield is Baker had a lot more college starts than Kyler. Yeah, I know Trubisky was another of the outliers in the Parcells' major predictors of NFL success... But then Mitch is 6' 2", and I raved about his accuracy coming out...
I really like a lot of points you made in the 1st 2 paragraphs Hoorta. The only place you might of went a little OSU homer is you're bringing up Murray starting only 1 season as a negative when that's all Haskins started.
I think what has saved Russell Wilson in many of the years he hasn't had a great line in front of him aside from his quickness is his agility to dodge should be tacklers almost effortless. Very rarely do I see people getting a clean shot at him. Murray has a lot of that with some the type of jets/better than Wilson. Another parallel he shares with Wilson, is they both had arms MLB was very interested in. We have the hindsight 20/20 on Wilson today; but he's led his team to 2 more SBs as a 3rd round QB than his draft class mates Andrew Luck drafted at #1 overall and RG3 drafted at #2 overall. The biggest difference I see in Russell Wilson and RG3 or take your pick of anyone that didn't live up to their draft slot - is the ability to process information as quickly as the NFL demands it in order to be accurate. If you're late on the reads - it's harder to be accurate in a league with better closing speeds. That said, if you can escape pressure the way Russell Wilson has you can bust a lot of corners coming off the WR in ( run support) with throws that don't have to be super-accurate to be completed to uncontested Receivers. Historically, does combine assessment criteria ever really give a 5'11" QB like Wilson the same chance at round 1 consideration it gives taller QBs like RG3, Josh Allen, Ryan Tannehill or even Brandon Weeden (who still doesn't know he can throw the ball away outside of the pocket)?
As much as I enjoy watching guys compete - these are some reasons I don't put too much stock in the Combine when it comes to evaluating QBs throwing the ball: 1) no defenders are in intimate space of passer quite like they will be for the QB prospect heading to the worst NFL team/offense; 2) They aren't asked to process information so there's really no high pressure quick decision making to see or question; 3) They're throwing to strangers with all different speeds and quicks so you gotta look more at did he throw it well and to the right place where the receiver should be (ie; many years on the quick outs I hear the instructor/supervisor of that drill reminding QBs with something along this line "DO NOT wait on the receiver. Just throw it where the receiver needs to be because hesitation on these are pick 6's on Sundays.")
-
DL Montez Sweat 4.41 40 WTF
-
-
I remember one throw in particular, an over the shoulder pass dropped in about 30-40 yards down the right sideline. Murray has the arm strength, the accuracy, and the quickness to be a lot better than Jackson.
The throw is at the 2:33 off a playfake. That is a big time throw.
-
I remember one throw in particular, an over the shoulder pass dropped in about 30-40 yards down the right sideline. Murray has the arm strength, the accuracy, and the quickness to be a lot better than Jackson.
The throw is at the 2:33 off a playfake. That is a big time throw.
I remember one throw in particular, an over the shoulder pass dropped in about 30-40 yards down the right sideline. Murray has the arm strength, the accuracy, and the quickness to be a lot better than Jackson.
The throw is at the 2:33 off a playfake. That is a big time throw.
Yes can't imagine Hue being able to throw like that
-
Miles Boykin 6’4” (Notre Dame) jumped 43.5 vert and ran a 4.42u
Emanuel Hall 6’2” jumped 43.5 and ran a 4.39. Both are graded way under Metcalf, who jumped 40.5, ran the 4.33, bench pressed 27
-
Devin White LSU LB is killing it today in all the drills. Unreal speed and quickness. You can see how he was originally recruited as a RB. 4.42 40, 39.5" vert @ 237 lbs. 22 reps bench press.
-
Akron St. Vincent St. Mary
Do you see now why I was " banging the drum for a 6 round Prospect". Because if Hakeem Butler were available in the 6 round that would be the steal of the draft.
-
Devin White LSU LB is killing it today in all the drills. Unreal speed and quickness. You can see how he was originally recruited as a RB. 4.42 40, 39.5" vert @ 237 lbs. 22 reps bench press.
Devin White LSU LB is killing it today in all the drills. Unreal speed and quickness. You can see how he was originally recruited as a RB. 4.42 40, 39.5" vert @ 237 lbs. 22 reps bench press.
We could REALLY that kind of quickness in our LBer Corps Aggies. If he also has good first step instinct - it's going to be hard to see him lasting until #17. That said, the LBers are posting good times.
I'm thinking we need to go all in on defense this draft. We need to upgrade half our line and at least 1 LBer while we couldn't get our best 2 corners on the field at the same time for 10 of our games.
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login
️