Skip to content

The Combine

The Browns Board
164 27 5.2k 1
  • @tour2ma said:

    So which starter mix is best? I've been using V8...

    Never thought of horseradish... only things you did not mention that I use are lime (wet glass rim for salt then squeeze in the rest) and a celery stalk. Been thinking about trying celery salt.

    Biggest thing is I am not a fan of Tabasco. I go very light on it for the mix, pour mine and then triple the dashes into my wife's portion... and she usually adds a couple more.

    Personally, I don't use the mixes. IMHO, V8 is a good choice & celery salt is a MUST. If you don't like Tabasco, try Frank's Red Hot. It's flavorful but not real hot. Another option is to add a little beef broth. You can get real creative, but I LOVE the horseradish.

    BTW, if using a thick tomato juice, do not stir, but ROLL the drink between 2 glasses so as not to break down the consistency of the juice yet blend the flavors well.

    Mike

    @canton-mike said:

    Personally, I don't use the mixes. IMHO, V8 is a good choice & celery salt is a MUST. If you don't like Tabasco, try Frank's Red Hot. It's flavorful but not real hot. Another option is to add a little beef broth. You can get real creative, but I LOVE the horseradish.

    BTW, if using a thick tomato juice, do not stir, but ROLL the drink between 2 glasses so as not to break down the consistency of the juice yet blend the flavors well.

    @gumby73 said:

    Too many large group of card playing nights  & a wife that spoils me, lead me to some bloody convenience. Demitri's Classic bloody mary mix is a time saver..(there pepperoni straws are killer) youtube demitri's or the wife orders different demitri's mixers from amazon..(ingredients labels on site) i think there is 4 types? My after sleep, Bloody Mary number is their 'Classic'. Now again am spoiled on demitri's, but ya can't go wrong using V8 & adding your own idea's..wife prefers a dash of A1 steak sauce over the heartburn of horseradish or worstershire..1 card player even prefers soy/teriyaki sauce.(yuck!).good luck & hollar if ya need..their bacon salt is tasty also. go light salt on rim  

    We need a "mixology" thread...

    Thanks guys... I'm taking notes.

  • @nickers said:

    Just a question.. Does anyone or any team really glean anything from the Combine?... I always thought of it as promotional window dressing...

    Absolutely... and I think every team gains prospect insight from the Combine. Remember they conduct "interviews" in addition to the on-field stuff.

    On-field everyone looks for confirmation of what they know and surprises by some they don't. A few names always pop.

    And it's not just the measured stuff... it's also the drills.

    @tour2ma said:

    Absolutely... and I think every team gains prospect insight from the Combine. Remember they conduct "interviews" in addition to the on-field stuff.

    On-field everyone looks for confirmation of what they know and surprises by some they don't. A few names always pop.

    And it's not just the measured stuff... it's also the drills.

    That was my favorite part of watching the drills was Mayock then showing why the drill was important and what the teams/scouts were watching for in that particuliar drill.

  • @tour2ma said:

    Absolutely... and I think every team gains prospect insight from the Combine. Remember they conduct "interviews" in addition to the on-field stuff.

    On-field everyone looks for confirmation of what they know and surprises by some they don't. A few names always pop.

    And it's not just the measured stuff... it's also the drills.

    That was my favorite part of watching the drills was Mayock then showing why the drill was important and what the teams/scouts were watching for in that particuliar drill.

    @mark-o said:

    That was my favorite part of watching the drills was Mayock then showing why the drill was important and what the teams/scouts were watching for in that particuliar drill.

    I wonder who will be replacing Mayock at the Combine? Charlie Casserly???

    Mike

  • @mark-o said:

    That was my favorite part of watching the drills was Mayock then showing why the drill was important and what the teams/scouts were watching for in that particuliar drill.

    I wonder who will be replacing Mayock at the Combine? Charlie Casserly???

    Mike

    @canton-mike said:

    I wonder who will be replacing Mayock at the Combine? Charlie Casserly???

    Mike

    Hue Jackson 

  • @canton-mike said:

    I wonder who will be replacing Mayock at the Combine? Charlie Casserly???

    Mike

    Hue Jackson 

    @7moses7 said:

    Hue Jackson 

    I was going to go with Sashi... 🙂

  • @mark-o said:

    That was my favorite part of watching the drills was Mayock then showing why the drill was important and what the teams/scouts were watching for in that particuliar drill.

    I wonder who will be replacing Mayock at the Combine? Charlie Casserly???

    Mike

    @canton-mike said:

    I wonder who will be replacing Mayock at the Combine? Charlie Casserly???

    Mike

    Charles Davis or Daniel Jeremiah would be my guesses.

  • @canton-mike said:

    I wonder who will be replacing Mayock at the Combine? Charlie Casserly???

    Mike

    Charles Davis or Daniel Jeremiah would be my guesses.

    @mark-o said:

    Charles Davis or Daniel Jeremiah would be my guesses.

    I'm also guessing Jeremiah &  I'm no fan of his either.

    Mike

  • If it's on and I am watching TV I will watch for a while, but I don't make a point of watching it.

  • @canton-mike said:

    Personally, I don't use the mixes. IMHO, V8 is a good choice & celery salt is a MUST. If you don't like Tabasco, try Frank's Red Hot. It's flavorful but not real hot. Another option is to add a little beef broth. You can get real creative, but I LOVE the horseradish.

    BTW, if using a thick tomato juice, do not stir, but ROLL the drink between 2 glasses so as not to break down the consistency of the juice yet blend the flavors well.

    @gumby73 said:

    Too many large group of card playing nights  & a wife that spoils me, lead me to some bloody convenience. Demitri's Classic bloody mary mix is a time saver..(there pepperoni straws are killer) youtube demitri's or the wife orders different demitri's mixers from amazon..(ingredients labels on site) i think there is 4 types? My after sleep, Bloody Mary number is their 'Classic'. Now again am spoiled on demitri's, but ya can't go wrong using V8 & adding your own idea's..wife prefers a dash of A1 steak sauce over the heartburn of horseradish or worstershire..1 card player even prefers soy/teriyaki sauce.(yuck!).good luck & hollar if ya need..their bacon salt is tasty also. go light salt on rim  

    We need a "mixology" thread...

    Thanks guys... I'm taking notes.

    @tour2ma said:

    We need a "mixology" thread...

    Nah.............................never screw up a great sipping rum.??

  • @canton-mike said:

    I wonder who will be replacing Mayock at the Combine? Charlie Casserly???

    Mike

    Hue Jackson 

    @7moses7 said:

    Hue Jackson 

    The George Costanza of the Combine.................................always pick the opposite.?

  • 3 best Aggies this year listed by best for Browns first. All are coming out a year early.

    Eric McCoy - Center - I think he is going to be a very good pro center for some lucky team. Or even a G since he has excellent pulling skills. The one A&M player I think could contribute to the Browns the most if we could pick him up around the 3rd rd.

    Jace Sternberger  - TE  - He will be very similar to our own 3rd year TE Njoku but better hands to start out his rookie season. (I liked Njoku's progress this year in that area).

    Trey Williams  RB - Leading SEC rusher in 2018 and broke all time A&M single season rushing record - great vision and follows his blocking very well - quick through any crease and very decent after contact yards. Good hands. Very similar to our own 3rd down RB Johnson. The write up on him in the article above is very outdated. Major jump from 2017 to 2018 under far better coaching. Less than 1000 yds R/R in 2017 to over 2000 this year.

  • 3 best Aggies this year listed by best for Browns first. All are coming out a year early.

    Eric McCoy - Center - I think he is going to be a very good pro center for some lucky team. Or even a G since he has excellent pulling skills. The one A&M player I think could contribute to the Browns the most if we could pick him up around the 3rd rd.

    Jace Sternberger  - TE  - He will be very similar to our own 3rd year TE Njoku but better hands to start out his rookie season. (I liked Njoku's progress this year in that area).

    Trey Williams  RB - Leading SEC rusher in 2018 and broke all time A&M single season rushing record - great vision and follows his blocking very well - quick through any crease and very decent after contact yards. Good hands. Very similar to our own 3rd down RB Johnson. The write up on him in the article above is very outdated. Major jump from 2017 to 2018 under far better coaching. Less than 1000 yds R/R in 2017 to over 2000 this year.

    @texasag1969 said:

    3 best Aggies this year listed by best for Browns first. All are coming out a year early.

    Eric McCoy - Center - I think he is going to be a very good pro center for some lucky team. Or even a G since he has excellent pulling skills. The one A&M player I think could contribute to the Browns the most if we could pick him up around the 3rd rd.

    Jace Sternberger  - TE  - He will be very similar to our own 3rd year TE Njoku but better hands to start out his rookie season. (I liked Njoku's progress this year in that area).

    Trey Williams  RB - Leading SEC rusher in 2018 and broke all time A&M single season rushing record - great vision and follows his blocking very well - quick through any crease and very decent after contact yards. Good hands. Very similar to our own 3rd down RB Johnson. The write up on him in the article above is very outdated. Major jump from 2017 to 2018 under far better coaching. Less than 1000 yds R/R in 2017 to over 2000 this year.

    Why should we care until and unless we draft them?

  • @texasag1969 said:

    3 best Aggies this year listed by best for Browns first. All are coming out a year early.

    Eric McCoy - Center - I think he is going to be a very good pro center for some lucky team. Or even a G since he has excellent pulling skills. The one A&M player I think could contribute to the Browns the most if we could pick him up around the 3rd rd.

    Jace Sternberger  - TE  - He will be very similar to our own 3rd year TE Njoku but better hands to start out his rookie season. (I liked Njoku's progress this year in that area).

    Trey Williams  RB - Leading SEC rusher in 2018 and broke all time A&M single season rushing record - great vision and follows his blocking very well - quick through any crease and very decent after contact yards. Good hands. Very similar to our own 3rd down RB Johnson. The write up on him in the article above is very outdated. Major jump from 2017 to 2018 under far better coaching. Less than 1000 yds R/R in 2017 to over 2000 this year.

    Why should we care until and unless we draft them?

    @the-gipper said:

    Why should we care until and unless we draft them?

    There were some here who cared when I brought attention to Myles Garrett when he was a freshman at A&M. There are several here who actually want to keep up with the draft BEFORE the draft. If that isn't you then just don't read it. I'm speculating on the Center from A&M as a guy who could help us down the line.

  • @texasag1969 said:

    3 best Aggies this year listed by best for Browns first. All are coming out a year early.

    Eric McCoy - Center - I think he is going to be a very good pro center for some lucky team. Or even a G since he has excellent pulling skills. The one A&M player I think could contribute to the Browns the most if we could pick him up around the 3rd rd.

    Jace Sternberger  - TE  - He will be very similar to our own 3rd year TE Njoku but better hands to start out his rookie season. (I liked Njoku's progress this year in that area).

    Trey Williams  RB - Leading SEC rusher in 2018 and broke all time A&M single season rushing record - great vision and follows his blocking very well - quick through any crease and very decent after contact yards. Good hands. Very similar to our own 3rd down RB Johnson. The write up on him in the article above is very outdated. Major jump from 2017 to 2018 under far better coaching. Less than 1000 yds R/R in 2017 to over 2000 this year.

    Why should we care until and unless we draft them?

    @the-gipper said:

    Why should we care until and unless we draft them?

    Seriously Gip? 

  • 3 best Aggies this year listed by best for Browns first. All are coming out a year early.

    Eric McCoy - Center - I think he is going to be a very good pro center for some lucky team. Or even a G since he has excellent pulling skills. The one A&M player I think could contribute to the Browns the most if we could pick him up around the 3rd rd.

    Jace Sternberger  - TE  - He will be very similar to our own 3rd year TE Njoku but better hands to start out his rookie season. (I liked Njoku's progress this year in that area).

    Trey Williams  RB - Leading SEC rusher in 2018 and broke all time A&M single season rushing record - great vision and follows his blocking very well - quick through any crease and very decent after contact yards. Good hands. Very similar to our own 3rd down RB Johnson. The write up on him in the article above is very outdated. Major jump from 2017 to 2018 under far better coaching. Less than 1000 yds R/R in 2017 to over 2000 this year.

    @texasag1969 said:

    Jace Sternberger  - TE  - He will be very similar to our own 3rd year TE Njoku but better hands to start out his rookie season. (I liked Njoku's progress this year in that area).

    I'd love to add another nice talent at TE to go with Njoku. 

  • @the-gipper said:

    Why should we care until and unless we draft them?

    There were some here who cared when I brought attention to Myles Garrett when he was a freshman at A&M. There are several here who actually want to keep up with the draft BEFORE the draft. If that isn't you then just don't read it. I'm speculating on the Center from A&M as a guy who could help us down the line.

    @texasag1969 said:

    There were some here who cared when I brought attention to Myles Garrett when he was a freshman at A&M. There are several here who actually want to keep up with the draft BEFORE the draft. If that isn't you then just don't read it. I'm speculating on the Center from A&M as a guy who could help us down the line.

    Garret was the projected #1 pick in the draft.  The Browns had the #1 pick in the draft.....so certainly we cared about him for that reason.

    Where do these other guys project?  Any of them in the mix for the #17 pick?  That would be the only reason to single them out.

  • @the-gipper said:

    Why should we care until and unless we draft them?

    Seriously Gip? 

    @dutch-oven said:

    Seriously Gip? 

    Yes, seriously.   Why should we care about potential Texas A&M prospects any more than Texas prospects, or Texas Tech prospects, or Texas Christian prospects....or, you name the school.

    Give us a list of the priority needs of the Browns, and which prospects may fit those needs who may be available when the Browns pick, regardless of college.

    Hell...for all I know there may be a couple of Akron U players that could be draftable prospects.  Maybe we should highlight them.

  • @dutch-oven said:

    Seriously Gip? 

    Yes, seriously.   Why should we care about potential Texas A&M prospects any more than Texas prospects, or Texas Tech prospects, or Texas Christian prospects....or, you name the school.

    Give us a list of the priority needs of the Browns, and which prospects may fit those needs who may be available when the Browns pick, regardless of college.

    Hell...for all I know there may be a couple of Akron U players that could be draftable prospects.  Maybe we should highlight them.

    @the-gipper said:

    Yes, seriously.   Why should we care about potential Texas A&M prospects any more than Texas prospects, or Texas Tech prospects, or Texas Christian prospects....or, you name the school.

    Give us a list of the priority needs of the Browns, and which prospects may fit those needs who may be available when the Browns pick, regardless of college.

    Hell...for all I know there may be a couple of Akron U players that could be draftable prospects.  Maybe we should highlight them.

    And the one I mentioned among the 3 top players is a center, an area of need. But you ignored what I said. Walter Football and Draftek both have him rated the 2nd best overall center in the draft and likely 2-3 round pick. If he is there in the 3rd I think we go after him. If either of the other two becomes BPA, then we need to look at them. They are both about 4-5th round picks and may move up after combine/pro days.

  • @the-gipper said:

    Yes, seriously.   Why should we care about potential Texas A&M prospects any more than Texas prospects, or Texas Tech prospects, or Texas Christian prospects....or, you name the school.

    Give us a list of the priority needs of the Browns, and which prospects may fit those needs who may be available when the Browns pick, regardless of college.

    Hell...for all I know there may be a couple of Akron U players that could be draftable prospects.  Maybe we should highlight them.

    And the one I mentioned among the 3 top players is a center, an area of need. But you ignored what I said. Walter Football and Draftek both have him rated the 2nd best overall center in the draft and likely 2-3 round pick. If he is there in the 3rd I think we go after him. If either of the other two becomes BPA, then we need to look at them. They are both about 4-5th round picks and may move up after combine/pro days.

    @texasag1969 said:

    And the one I mentioned among the 3 top players is a center, an area of need. But you ignored what I said. Walter Football and Draftek both have him rated the 2nd best overall center in the draft and likely 2-3 round pick. If he is there in the 3rd I think we go after him. If either of the other two becomes BPA, then we need to look at them. They are both about 4-5th round picks and may move up after combine/pro days.

    Why do you think that center is an area of need?   JC Tretter is a fine center....and comes from a school that we both have a connection to:  Cornell.  (didn't you say your wife went there?).    Maybe we need a backup center......but I am not for taking a backup center in the 2/3 round area.  6/7 maybe.

    And maybe we should be looking at this guy for depth at a position of need:   pass rush.  Maybe he is the next Jason Taylor?  He will be at the combine:

    https://gozips.com/news/2019/1/3/football-akrons-jamal-davis-invited-to-nfl-combine.aspx

    Or this guy in round 6/7:

    http://www.rotoworld.com/player/CFB/138559/Ulysees-Gilbert