Looking back on Bill
-
Thank you for saying what I was just about to say.
Technicalities meant absolutely zero to the tires on the trucks that moved our team to Baltimore.
Lipstick on a pig.
I got your semantics right here!
I don't know many franchise owners in America that think employees, equipment and leadership staff aren't the most important parts of their franchise. It doesn't matter as long as you and Gipper know otherwise...
Then you guys should be glad we not only got our team and new players back, because if it wasn't for those legal semantics- you'd be rooting for the Baltimore Browns or the Cleveland Bulldogs.
-
Thank you for saying what I was just about to say.
Technicalities meant absolutely zero to the tires on the trucks that moved our team to Baltimore.
Lipstick on a pig.
I got your semantics right here!
I don't know many franchise owners in America that think employees, equipment and leadership staff aren't the most important parts of their franchise. It doesn't matter as long as you and Gipper know otherwise...
Then you guys should be glad we not only got our team and new players back, because if it wasn't for those legal semantics- you'd be rooting for the Baltimore Browns or the Cleveland Bulldogs.
Then you guys should be glad we not only got our team and new players back, because if it wasn't for those legal semantics- you'd be rooting for the Baltimore Browns or the Cleveland Bulldogs.
Bite your tongue....I was never rooting for the Baltimore Browns. If it had been a new team in Cleveland after 3 years without anything, not sure I would've really been a fan. It would've turned into like the NBA for me, I'm happy for Cleveland when the Cavs win but I'm not rushing out buying Cavs merchandise either. I "rooted" for the Packers and Bears during our 3 years off because those cities and fan bases seemed to be like Cleveland. Probably would've stuck with one of those or just never had a true "favorite" team again.
-
To me, I see both sides being "right." Yes the entire team/therefore the franchise went to Baltimore, but everything Cleveland Browns didn't. So I'm reading these posts and just see both sides using different views of a word.
I look at it like this. If San Diego or St Louis were to get teams, they couldn't go back to their Chargers/Rams, as the entire thing moved. I think what throws people off with the topic is getting an "expansion" team. But expansion and new arent mutually exclusive. Its expanding the league with another team, not a new team.
Maybe that doesn't make sense, but hopefully it does.
To some here, it's obviously just semantics. But to some of us the semantics make a mighty important difference as to what happened legally . Me and Gipper dealt with Baltimorons for years who didn't know the difference, and now apparently some Browns fans aren't willing to admit there is a difference either....
To some here, it's obviously just semantics. But to some of us the semantics make a mighty important difference as to what happened legally . Me and Gipper dealt with Baltimorons for years who didn't know the difference, and now apparently some Browns fans aren't willing to admit there is a difference either....
I agree with you, I'm just saying it appears as if some are not using it in the same way. As in everything that encompasses the franchise moved, while the Cleveland Browns stayed.
I look at it as the team moved, not the franchise. The team being all the people, etc
-
To some here, it's obviously just semantics. But to some of us the semantics make a mighty important difference as to what happened legally . Me and Gipper dealt with Baltimorons for years who didn't know the difference, and now apparently some Browns fans aren't willing to admit there is a difference either....
I agree with you, I'm just saying it appears as if some are not using it in the same way. As in everything that encompasses the franchise moved, while the Cleveland Browns stayed.
I look at it as the team moved, not the franchise. The team being all the people, etc
I agree with you, I'm just saying it appears as if some are not using it in the same way. As in everything that encompasses the franchise moved, while the Cleveland Browns stayed.
I look at it as the team moved, not the franchise. The team being all the people, etc
At least someone gets where me & Gip are coming from. The young 'uns may not be aware of how hard some of us worked when Modell pulled the rug out from under us (this was before the Internet really took off) jamming the NFL's Fax machines, picketing their office in New York to at least get table scraps. Modell got plenty of death threats, bet that made him think twice about going out in public for awhile. Some Browns fans recognized him eating in a restaurant in (I believe it was) West Palm shortly after, and gave him a full fledged barrage of profanity before they were asked to leave, letting him know on a personal level exactly how the fans felt. Our name, our colors. Best lawyers in Cleveland donated their time to make it happen.
-
Thank you for saying what I was just about to say.
Technicalities meant absolutely zero to the tires on the trucks that moved our team to Baltimore.
Lipstick on a pig.
But that’s just the point the only thing moved to Baltimore were chattels . The contents of the house. The house itself did not move.
-
Thank you for saying what I was just about to say.
Technicalities meant absolutely zero to the tires on the trucks that moved our team to Baltimore.
Lipstick on a pig.
I got your semantics right here!
I don't know many franchise owners in America that think employees, equipment and leadership staff aren't the most important parts of their franchise. It doesn't matter as long as you and Gipper know otherwise...
Then you guys should be glad we not only got our team and new players back, because if it wasn't for those legal semantics- you'd be rooting for the Baltimore Browns or the Cleveland Bulldogs.
Then you guys should be glad we not only got our team and new players back, because if it wasn't for those legal semantics- you'd be rooting for the Baltimore Browns
For Browns fans who have never lived anywhere near Ohio, what is the 'huge' difference between rooting for the Cleveland Browns or the Baltimore Browns?
-
Thank you for saying what I was just about to say.
Technicalities meant absolutely zero to the tires on the trucks that moved our team to Baltimore.
Lipstick on a pig.
But that’s just the point the only thing moved to Baltimore were chattels . The contents of the house. The house itself did not move.
But that’s just the point the only thing moved to Baltimore were chattels
Look, I understand and have always understood your legal ee's point. But it does not jive with what we, as Browns fans, went through. They way to explain what happened to us was that our team moved away and THEN won a super bowl. The ultimate snub. As has been said, we got an expansion team that was called the Browns.
-
Thank you for saying what I was just about to say.
Technicalities meant absolutely zero to the tires on the trucks that moved our team to Baltimore.
Lipstick on a pig.
I got your semantics right here!
I don't know many franchise owners in America that think employees, equipment and leadership staff aren't the most important parts of their franchise. It doesn't matter as long as you and Gipper know otherwise...
Then you guys should be glad we not only got our team and new players back, because if it wasn't for those legal semantics- you'd be rooting for the Baltimore Browns or the Cleveland Bulldogs.
Then you guys should be glad we not only got our team and new players back, because if it wasn't for those legal semantics- you'd be rooting for the Baltimore Browns or the Cleveland Bulldogs.
Your Dodge ball continues. Did Baltimore have a tough time selling games out from the very first time they weren't called the Colts on game day? No, they had the choice of crying in their beers forever or following the sport they love on home turf. Guess what they chose? 2 SB Championships and several post season appearances later - worries of new team name and colors is all old testament in Ratville. Winning puts fannies in seats; and it has forever.
Do you really want to go down memory lane about how happy you have been about this team since 99? That's 20 years with only 2 winning seasons so quit acting like NOTHING was taken and carrying on with your semantics nonsense. The franchise was ripped right out of Cleveland; because a very bad business man was being heavily rewarded to move the team,equipment, staff and leadership. This left Cleveland bulldozing the stadium it won 8 Pro Football championships in and 3 years without football before countless years of football follies followed that you've belly ached about repeatedly. But hold on, you are now in an argument over semantics so let's sweep all this inconvenient truth right under the rug.
-
But that’s just the point the only thing moved to Baltimore were chattels
Look, I understand and have always understood your legal ee's point. But it does not jive with what we, as Browns fans, went through. They way to explain what happened to us was that our team moved away and THEN won a super bowl. The ultimate snub. As has been said, we got an expansion team that was called the Browns.
Look, I understand and have always understood your legal ee's point. But it does not jive with what we, as Browns fans, went through. They way to explain what happened to us was that our team moved away and THEN won a super bowl. The ultimate snub. As has been said, we got an expansion team that was called the Browns.
The house analogy I think is the best. There was a house in Cleveland called the Browns. The guy that owned the house moved and took the furniture with him. Title deed to the house stayed in a trust. The foundation of the house stayed the walls and the floor and ceiling the roof all stayed. What was taken Were the couches chairs the bed and the pots and pans. I don’t know how much more simply I can try to make people understand.
-
Then you guys should be glad we not only got our team and new players back, because if it wasn't for those legal semantics- you'd be rooting for the Baltimore Browns or the Cleveland Bulldogs.
Your Dodge ball continues. Did Baltimore have a tough time selling games out from the very first time they weren't called the Colts on game day? No, they had the choice of crying in their beers forever or following the sport they love on home turf. Guess what they chose? 2 SB Championships and several post season appearances later - worries of new team name and colors is all old testament in Ratville. Winning puts fannies in seats; and it has forever.
Do you really want to go down memory lane about how happy you have been about this team since 99? That's 20 years with only 2 winning seasons so quit acting like NOTHING was taken and carrying on with your semantics nonsense. The franchise was ripped right out of Cleveland; because a very bad business man was being heavily rewarded to move the team,equipment, staff and leadership. This left Cleveland bulldozing the stadium it won 8 Pro Football championships in and 3 years without football before countless years of football follies followed that you've belly ached about repeatedly. But hold on, you are now in an argument over semantics so let's sweep all this inconvenient truth right under the rug.
Your Dodge ball continues. Did Baltimore have a tough time selling games out from the very first time they weren't called the Colts on game day? No, they had the choice of crying in their beers forever or following the sport they love on home turf. Guess what they chose? 2 SB Championships and several post season appearances later - worries of new team name and colors is all old testament in Ratville. Winning puts fannies in seats; and it has forever.
Do you really want to go down memory lane about how happy you have been about this team since 99? That's 20 years with only 2 winning seasons so quit acting like NOTHING was taken and carrying on with your semantics nonsense. The franchise was ripped right out of Cleveland; because a very bad business man was being heavily rewarded to move the team,equipment, staff and leadership. This left Cleveland bulldozing the stadium it won 8 Pro Football championships in and 3 years without football before countless years of football follies followed that you've belly ached about repeatedly. But hold on, you are now in an argument over semantics so let's sweep all this inconvenient truth right under the rug.
That the house stayed. The new owners had to re-furnish it and they have done purely shitty job of doing so I mean that’s the problem. The new owners got their furniture from big lots instead of going to like Ethan Allen.
-
Look, I understand and have always understood your legal ee's point. But it does not jive with what we, as Browns fans, went through. They way to explain what happened to us was that our team moved away and THEN won a super bowl. The ultimate snub. As has been said, we got an expansion team that was called the Browns.
The house analogy I think is the best. There was a house in Cleveland called the Browns. The guy that owned the house moved and took the furniture with him. Title deed to the house stayed in a trust. The foundation of the house stayed the walls and the floor and ceiling the roof all stayed. What was taken Were the couches chairs the bed and the pots and pans. I don’t know how much more simply I can try to make people understand.
The house analogy I think is the best. There was a house in Cleveland called the Browns. The guy that owned the house moved and took the furniture with him. Title deed to the house stayed in a trust. The foundation of the house stayed the walls and the floor and ceiling the roof all stayed. What was taken Were the couches chairs the bed and the pots and pans. I don’t know how much more simply I can try to make people understand.
If the players, coaches and staff moved... Let's rather say that all the house was lifted by its foundations and moved elsewhere, while they poured salt on the soil and the now homeless guys kept only the sign in the front.
-
The house analogy I think is the best. There was a house in Cleveland called the Browns. The guy that owned the house moved and took the furniture with him. Title deed to the house stayed in a trust. The foundation of the house stayed the walls and the floor and ceiling the roof all stayed. What was taken Were the couches chairs the bed and the pots and pans. I don’t know how much more simply I can try to make people understand.
If the players, coaches and staff moved... Let's rather say that all the house was lifted by its foundations and moved elsewhere, while they poured salt on the soil and the now homeless guys kept only the sign in the front.
If the players, coaches and staff moved... Let's rather say that all the house was lifted by its foundations and moved elsewhere, while they poured salt on the soil and the now homeless guys kept only the sign in the front.
Let’s not say that because that would be wrong. The fans are the foundation. The stadium in the facilities are the walls and floors. The house obviously needed some renovation but it still is The same house.
-
If the players, coaches and staff moved... Let's rather say that all the house was lifted by its foundations and moved elsewhere, while they poured salt on the soil and the now homeless guys kept only the sign in the front.
Let’s not say that because that would be wrong. The fans are the foundation. The stadium in the facilities are the walls and floors. The house obviously needed some renovation but it still is The same house.
Let’s not say that because that would be wrong.
And they peed on grandma's tomb before leaving.
-
Look, I understand and have always understood your legal ee's point. But it does not jive with what we, as Browns fans, went through. They way to explain what happened to us was that our team moved away and THEN won a super bowl. The ultimate snub. As has been said, we got an expansion team that was called the Browns.
The house analogy I think is the best. There was a house in Cleveland called the Browns. The guy that owned the house moved and took the furniture with him. Title deed to the house stayed in a trust. The foundation of the house stayed the walls and the floor and ceiling the roof all stayed. What was taken Were the couches chairs the bed and the pots and pans. I don’t know how much more simply I can try to make people understand.
The house analogy I think is the best. There was a house in Cleveland called the Browns. The guy that owned the house moved and took the furniture with him. Title deed to the house stayed in a trust. The foundation of the house stayed the walls and the floor and ceiling the roof all stayed. What was taken Were the couches chairs the bed and the pots and pans. I don’t know how much more simply I can try to make people understand.
We'll just let Flugs believe the franchise moved, he's hopeless... The analogy I used way back was your corner McDonald's. Building is still there, but owner moved his equipment and employees over to a new Micky D's franchise on the other side of town.. So the corporation took over the old place, and sold it to a new owner- who renovated it, filled it with new equipment and employees...
And they peed on grandma's tomb before leaving.
Modell "I had no choice"= lie. He could have sold out to Al Lerner then and there. Nope, he wanted the glory of still being an NFL owner, and passing the team down to his cigar chompin' kid. Nothing short of Divine Justice that he ended up with neither... However, a guy peed on Modell's grave after he died and put it on YouTube... . Should have left some dog poop there while he was at it. So the more irate Cleveland fans got their revenge in the end too... I said when he passed on the family should have had him cremated, because it was bound to happen sooner or later...
-
The house analogy I think is the best. There was a house in Cleveland called the Browns. The guy that owned the house moved and took the furniture with him. Title deed to the house stayed in a trust. The foundation of the house stayed the walls and the floor and ceiling the roof all stayed. What was taken Were the couches chairs the bed and the pots and pans. I don’t know how much more simply I can try to make people understand.
We'll just let Flugs believe the franchise moved, he's hopeless... The analogy I used way back was your corner McDonald's. Building is still there, but owner moved his equipment and employees over to a new Micky D's franchise on the other side of town.. So the corporation took over the old place, and sold it to a new owner- who renovated it, filled it with new equipment and employees...
And they peed on grandma's tomb before leaving.
Modell "I had no choice"= lie. He could have sold out to Al Lerner then and there. Nope, he wanted the glory of still being an NFL owner, and passing the team down to his cigar chompin' kid. Nothing short of Divine Justice that he ended up with neither... However, a guy peed on Modell's grave after he died and put it on YouTube... . Should have left some dog poop there while he was at it. So the more irate Cleveland fans got their revenge in the end too... I said when he passed on the family should have had him cremated, because it was bound to happen sooner or later...
-
The house analogy I think is the best. There was a house in Cleveland called the Browns. The guy that owned the house moved and took the furniture with him. Title deed to the house stayed in a trust. The foundation of the house stayed the walls and the floor and ceiling the roof all stayed. What was taken Were the couches chairs the bed and the pots and pans. I don’t know how much more simply I can try to make people understand.
We'll just let Flugs believe the franchise moved, he's hopeless... The analogy I used way back was your corner McDonald's. Building is still there, but owner moved his equipment and employees over to a new Micky D's franchise on the other side of town.. So the corporation took over the old place, and sold it to a new owner- who renovated it, filled it with new equipment and employees...
And they peed on grandma's tomb before leaving.
Modell "I had no choice"= lie. He could have sold out to Al Lerner then and there. Nope, he wanted the glory of still being an NFL owner, and passing the team down to his cigar chompin' kid. Nothing short of Divine Justice that he ended up with neither... However, a guy peed on Modell's grave after he died and put it on YouTube... . Should have left some dog poop there while he was at it. So the more irate Cleveland fans got their revenge in the end too... I said when he passed on the family should have had him cremated, because it was bound to happen sooner or later...
We'll just let Flugs believe the franchise moved, he's hopeless... The analogy I used way back was your corner McDonald's. Building is still there, but owner moved his equipment and employees over to a new Micky D's franchise on the other side of town.. So the corporation took over the old place, and sold it to a new owner- who renovated it, filled it with new equipment and employees...
Modell "I had no choice"= lie. He could have sold out to Al Lerner then and there. Nope, he wanted the glory of still being an NFL owner, and passing the team down to his cigar chompin' kid. Nothing short of Divine Justice that he ended up with neither... However, a guy peed on Modell's grave after he died and put it on YouTube... . Should have left some dog poop there while he was at it. So the more irate Cleveland fans got their revenge in the end too... I said when he passed on the family should have had him cremated, because it was bound to happen sooner or later...
Well, to give Art a tiny benefit of doubt, wouldn't you want to be an owner even if it moved? I mean there are only 32 NFL franchises in the world.
And I think your McDonalds analogy is excellent.
I've never been to Cleveland being from Va, so just going by looking it up, but to expand even more on that. Instead of using McDonald's, use In N Out Burger or Wahlburgers. Neither have a place in Va that I know of. So the owner tries to move that place to Virginia, and for whatever reason.
-
We'll just let Flugs believe the franchise moved, he's hopeless... The analogy I used way back was your corner McDonald's. Building is still there, but owner moved his equipment and employees over to a new Micky D's franchise on the other side of town.. So the corporation took over the old place, and sold it to a new owner- who renovated it, filled it with new equipment and employees...
Modell "I had no choice"= lie. He could have sold out to Al Lerner then and there. Nope, he wanted the glory of still being an NFL owner, and passing the team down to his cigar chompin' kid. Nothing short of Divine Justice that he ended up with neither... However, a guy peed on Modell's grave after he died and put it on YouTube... . Should have left some dog poop there while he was at it. So the more irate Cleveland fans got their revenge in the end too... I said when he passed on the family should have had him cremated, because it was bound to happen sooner or later...
Well, to give Art a tiny benefit of doubt, wouldn't you want to be an owner even if it moved? I mean there are only 32 NFL franchises in the world.
And I think your McDonalds analogy is excellent.
I've never been to Cleveland being from Va, so just going by looking it up, but to expand even more on that. Instead of using McDonald's, use In N Out Burger or Wahlburgers. Neither have a place in Va that I know of. So the owner tries to move that place to Virginia, and for whatever reason.
Well, to give Art a tiny benefit of doubt, wouldn't you want to be an owner even if it moved? I mean there are only 32 NFL franchises in the world.
And I think your McDonalds analogy is excellent.
I've never been to Cleveland being from Va, so just going by looking it up, but to expand even more on that. Instead of using McDonald's, use In N Out Burger or Wahlburgers. Neither have a place in Va that I know of. So the owner tries to move that place to Virginia, and for whatever reason.
I think it all depends on the fan themselves. Having been here to see the Chargers move to LA, most long time SD Chargers fans who want nothing to do with the team because they're in LA. If they had moved to Vegas or San Antonio or Mexico City or anywhere other than LA, I think they would still support the team but LA is the enemy. There are some who don't care whether they are in LA or SD, they are Chargers fans and will support them anywhere. Based on attendance, there are far fewer of them.
-
-
I agree with you, I'm just saying it appears as if some are not using it in the same way. As in everything that encompasses the franchise moved, while the Cleveland Browns stayed.
I look at it as the team moved, not the franchise. The team being all the people, etc
At least someone gets where me & Gip are coming from. The young 'uns may not be aware of how hard some of us worked when Modell pulled the rug out from under us (this was before the Internet really took off) jamming the NFL's Fax machines, picketing their office in New York to at least get table scraps. Modell got plenty of death threats, bet that made him think twice about going out in public for awhile. Some Browns fans recognized him eating in a restaurant in (I believe it was) West Palm shortly after, and gave him a full fledged barrage of profanity before they were asked to leave, letting him know on a personal level exactly how the fans felt. Our name, our colors. Best lawyers in Cleveland donated their time to make it happen.
At least someone gets where me & Gip are coming from. The young 'uns may not be aware of how hard some of us worked when Modell pulled the rug out from under us (this was before the Internet really took off) jamming the NFL's Fax machines, picketing their office in New York to at least get table scraps. Modell got plenty of death threats, bet that made him think twice about going out in public for awhile. Some Browns fans recognized him eating in a restaurant in (I believe it was) West Palm shortly after, and gave him a full fledged barrage of profanity before they were asked to leave, letting him know on a personal level exactly how the fans felt. Our name, our colors. Best lawyers in Cleveland donated their time to make it happen.
Nobody is blasting the fan base Larry. Just the opposite. You keep saying the franchise never left but there was no football in Cleveland in 96, 97, and 98 before there was 5-27 football in 99 and 2000 right? 2 winning seasons in 20 years has tarnished the reputation and resume of the Glory years we enjoyed in the 80s and our previous family members enjoyed in the 40s, 50s, and 60s. Modell buried that no matter how much you want to spin it. Today? We're finally feeling some legit hope something is being built the right way 23 years after the move.
The Cleveland Rams established in 1936 - moved to LA in 1945. The Cleveland Browns kicked off for the 1st time in 1946 - did the previous colors, name or anything from that move prevent fans from getting interested in whatever professional football team CLEVELAND put on the field? In fact, they didn't even join the NFL until after they dominated the AAFC with 4 consecutive Championships in every ear they participated. Then they joined the NFL and went to 6 consecutive Championship Games while winning 6 of those. Guess what solves everything when it comes to getting fans interested? Nobody gave a crap that they weren't the Rams right?
After getting Modell'd, Paul Brown reminded us the way to stick it up Modell's asss was to keep the orange helmets and get to the SB before Art could. Land ho! Having said that, the city of Baltimore once felt like they'd never root for another NFL team with a different name and team colors than the Colts. After there was no NFL in Baltimore - absence made the heart grow fonder for a Pro Team. They had no trouble selling games out; especially when they started frequenting playoffs and winning SBs.
YES, our fans had a lot to do with keeping the colors and team name we are happy about. But, there's no pretending how much was lost regardless of semantics. My friend had a very successful pizza business that he franchised. The most essential ingredients aside from location and name of the franchise are product, leadership, employees, advertising, and customer service/satisfaction. That's where a lot of us are coming from. In the last 20 years - how often have we read or voiced complaints about customer satisfaction, leadership, personnel choices, and product on the field?
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login