Duke Johnson Requests Trade
-
Duke seemed slowed last year, and Hunt is a terrific receiver..
But we basically have Hunt under contract for half a season, so if we trade Duke we still need a third down back, so there goes another draft pick to a less experienced receiver and blocker.
Z
Zombo said:
Duke seemed slowed last year, and Hunt is a terrific receiver..
But we basically have Hunt under contract for half a season, so if we trade Duke we still need a third down back, so there goes another draft pick to a less experienced receiver and blocker.
Z
CJ Anderson 1 year deal fully guaranteed ?
-
While it is true that for a couple of seasons Duke was our best offensive weapon ( hell some games he was our ONLY weapon) I would say that on the current roster he is arguably the fifth or sixth best. From what I understand about the way his contract is structured if the Browns are going to trade him it's in their best interest to do it after June 1. I totally get him not showing up for a voluntary team function to avoid risking an injury and to show his displeasure, but unless the Browns get an offer they can't refuse I don't see him going anywhere soon. Again keeping in mind our current roster I would assume Duke's production could be replaced easily. My biggest fear would be an injury to Chubb, that might cause some regret should they trade Duke.
-
While it is true that for a couple of seasons Duke was our best offensive weapon ( hell some games he was our ONLY weapon) I would say that on the current roster he is arguably the fifth or sixth best. From what I understand about the way his contract is structured if the Browns are going to trade him it's in their best interest to do it after June 1. I totally get him not showing up for a voluntary team function to avoid risking an injury and to show his displeasure, but unless the Browns get an offer they can't refuse I don't see him going anywhere soon. Again keeping in mind our current roster I would assume Duke's production could be replaced easily. My biggest fear would be an injury to Chubb, that might cause some regret should they trade Duke.
While it is true that for a couple of seasons Duke was our best offensive weapon ( hell some games he was our ONLY weapon) I would say that on the current roster he is arguably the fifth or sixth best. From what I understand about the way his contract is structured if the Browns are going to trade him it's in their best interest to do it after June 1. I totally get him not showing up for a voluntary team function to avoid risking an injury and to show his displeasure, but unless the Browns get an offer they can't refuse I don't see him going anywhere soon. Again keeping in mind our current roster I would assume Duke's production could be replaced easily. My biggest fear would be an injury to Chubb, that might cause some regret should they trade Duke.
I don't know about replaced easily. Chubb is awesome. Hunt could bust, or could be great. But i'll be damned if Duke couldn't crush it at 3DB without Hunt.
Hunt is talented but it probably left Duke Sour. I don't blame him, If someone tells me they want to build something and then bring in two others guys, i'd be like "screw it" too. I think Dorsey just doesn't like Duke, and loves KC picks better. It's apparent, looking at the pattern.
-
I think it’s a bad bad idea to let Duke go. Why not give the guy an expanded role? Make him a FB/H back hybrid type? With Orson Charles gone, Duke is the only back we have left that l trust to lay a block on a free blitzer. Why couldn’t he do that in a lead blocker role where HE’S the one with a head instead of fending off a guy with a head of steam? Oh, and he runs with and catches the ball well. He’s that quintessential “football player” that everyone claims they want on their team.
-
I think many fans felt like we never truly used Duke as much as we could have, and I was hoping we'd have another 8 games to try and figure it out. After all, Kitchens was a new OC and we had a crap load of new shite to pull together. Do I understand his frustration about playing? I guess so, a RB only has so much time, but on the other hand, we extended his contract and presumably WANTED him in Cleveland...so whatever. I just always respected him and hate to see him go.
I think many fans felt like we never truly used Duke as much as we could have, and I was hoping we'd have another 8 games to try and figure it out. After all, Kitchens was a new OC and we had a crap load of new shite to pull together. Do I understand his frustration about playing? I guess so, a RB only has so much time, but on the other hand, we extended his contract and presumably WANTED him in Cleveland...so whatever. I just always respected him and hate to see him go.
He isn't necessarily going anywhere. Just because his agent says he may want to.
I want to bed Kaley Cuocco.....don't mean its going to happen.
-
Zombo said:
Duke seemed slowed last year, and Hunt is a terrific receiver..
But we basically have Hunt under contract for half a season, so if we trade Duke we still need a third down back, so there goes another draft pick to a less experienced receiver and blocker.
Z
CJ Anderson 1 year deal fully guaranteed ?
-
Did someone just say Duke oughta be at FB......sigh
-
I think it’s a bad bad idea to let Duke go. Why not give the guy an expanded role? Make him a FB/H back hybrid type? With Orson Charles gone, Duke is the only back we have left that l trust to lay a block on a free blitzer. Why couldn’t he do that in a lead blocker role where HE’S the one with a head instead of fending off a guy with a head of steam? Oh, and he runs with and catches the ball well. He’s that quintessential “football player” that everyone claims they want on their team.
I think it’s a bad bad idea to let Duke go. Why not give the guy an expanded role? Make him a FB/H back hybrid type? With Orson Charles gone, Duke is the only back we have left that l trust to lay a block on a free blitzer. Why couldn’t he do that in a lead blocker role where HE’S the one with a head instead of fending off a guy with a head of steam? Oh, and he runs with and catches the ball well. He’s that quintessential “football player” that everyone claims they want on their team.
Duke Johnson is the Miami hurricanes all time leading rusher. And he’s only proven he can move the ball. It’ll definitely be a loss in Cleveland’s column to lose him because they chose Kareem hunt and Chubb instead but what kind of magic mushrooms are you finding to say he should be a blocking fullback? Good lord. If you’re not strung out than there’s a serious problem that needs fixed
-
Duke is exactly the type of player you need in today’s NFL. Baffled by any attempt to move him on
-
Now we have to move him. Once players start asking for a trade in the public forum, they become a distraction. Him not being at the workouts is a distraction.
Time to move on. He is replaceable.
-
Reactions to signing other top players at their positions (as we did Hunt).....
Baker....."Bring 'em on & I'll TAKE 'em on!"
Landry..."Bring 'em on & I'll TAKE 'em on!"
OBJ......."Bring 'em on & I'll TAKE 'em on!"
Chubb..."Bring 'em on & I'll TAKE 'em on!"
Duke....."WAAA, I'm takin' my ball & going home."
We want & need COMPETITORS, not QUITTERS!
Bye Duke.
Mike
-
Various twitter accounts reporting .....apparently we are in talks with the Jets, Texans and Eagles .......Darron Lee from Jets looks a possibility now ..... probably be draft pick from other 2 teams
.....apparently we are in talks with the Jets, Texans and Eagles .......Darron Lee from Jets looks a possibility now ..... probably be draft pick from other 2 teams
Lots of smoke burning on twitter...Tre Boston to announce his new landing spot today/ Tre tweet..believable names mentioned in Duke trade, 1) Jets-LB Darron Lee 2)Texans-LB Brennan Scarlett 3) Philly-CB Rasul Douglas..With no player attached to Duke? I've seen 4th to 6th rounders might get offered up..this deal needs to get done before the draft imo.. This is a Duke/agent players choice..but Dorsey brings his own set of dealing Cards
️
️
️
️
-
I'm still hoping for Darron Lee, but whoever or whatever it is, JD will get 'er done!
Mike
-
Did someone just say Duke oughta be at FB......sigh
Did someone just say Duke oughta be at FB......sigh
Nope, no one said that. I said “FB/H-back hybrid type”. If it eases your mind to call it an H-back then go for it. I’m just acknowledging that Duke is an above average blocker for a halfback, and probably better at it than our tight ends.
I get that asking him to lead block at the rate of a typical FB is gonna get him killed, but maybe 5 times a game?
1) Kitchens doesn’t really utilize a FB that much anyway, but he does use one. Towards the end of the season we all saw DeValve awkwardly fill in for the role previously occupied by Orson Charles, plowing into a defender and then falling down. Duke could do a better job than that.
2) Kitchens has also shown that he can do some fun creative things with multiple backs. The guy has a knack for manipulating misdirection. Duke is an ideal candidate to do such things with due to his varied skill set.
3) I read something last year where Duke said he took a degree of pride in his blocking. He works at it, he’s good at it, and it shows.
4) It nets more playing time for Duke. Right now he feels like the underappreciated odd man out, but he could be a lynchpin in a lot of cool formations and plays. Kitchens has shown he can go out of the box to utilize his players’ skill sets (Landry throwing bombs, wishbone formations, etc) so it’s not that far out of left field.
-
Reactions to signing other top players at their positions (as we did Hunt).....
Baker....."Bring 'em on & I'll TAKE 'em on!"
Landry..."Bring 'em on & I'll TAKE 'em on!"
OBJ......."Bring 'em on & I'll TAKE 'em on!"
Chubb..."Bring 'em on & I'll TAKE 'em on!"
Duke....."WAAA, I'm takin' my ball & going home."
We want & need COMPETITORS, not QUITTERS!
Bye Duke.
Mike
Reactions to signing other top players at their positions (as we did Hunt).....
Baker....."Bring 'em on & I'll TAKE 'em on!"
Landry..."Bring 'em on & I'll TAKE 'em on!"
OBJ......."Bring 'em on & I'll TAKE 'em on!"
Chubb..."Bring 'em on & I'll TAKE 'em on!"
Duke....."WAAA, I'm takin' my ball & going home."
We want & need COMPETITORS, not QUITTERS!
Bye Duke.
Mike
Exactly.. This is a Man's game.. Snowflakes need not apply...
-
Some rumor on twitter ( and poster said it is a rumor so could be bullshit ) today say we are in talks with the Jets to swap Duke for Darron Lee.
-
Reactions to signing other top players at their positions (as we did Hunt).....
Baker....."Bring 'em on & I'll TAKE 'em on!"
Landry..."Bring 'em on & I'll TAKE 'em on!"
OBJ......."Bring 'em on & I'll TAKE 'em on!"
Chubb..."Bring 'em on & I'll TAKE 'em on!"
Duke....."WAAA, I'm takin' my ball & going home."
We want & need COMPETITORS, not QUITTERS!
Bye Duke.
Mike
Reactions to signing other top players at their positions (as we did Hunt).....
Baker....."Bring 'em on & I'll TAKE 'em on!"
Landry..."Bring 'em on & I'll TAKE 'em on!"
OBJ......."Bring 'em on & I'll TAKE 'em on!"
Chubb..."Bring 'em on & I'll TAKE 'em on!"
Duke....."WAAA, I'm takin' my ball & going home."
We want & need COMPETITORS, not QUITTERS!
Bye Duke.
Mike
Eh, to be honest I never have gotten that vibe from this situation. I may as well be the conductor on the Dorsey train, but this Duke saga I think he has whiffed on. My opinion? When Dorsey signed Hunt to the team Duke rightfully behind the scenes had some conversations with Dorsey about his role, future with the team. I'm getting the vibe strongly Dorsey strung him a long a bit and finally made it clear he was not in the future plans of the organization, which led to this "request" (if true). If all that is the case, it's a bit dramatic to take your point of view. Duke is a damn fine football player we're pushing aside, and he knows that.
-
Reactions to signing other top players at their positions (as we did Hunt).....
Baker....."Bring 'em on & I'll TAKE 'em on!"
Landry..."Bring 'em on & I'll TAKE 'em on!"
OBJ......."Bring 'em on & I'll TAKE 'em on!"
Chubb..."Bring 'em on & I'll TAKE 'em on!"
Duke....."WAAA, I'm takin' my ball & going home."
We want & need COMPETITORS, not QUITTERS!
Bye Duke.
Mike
Reactions to signing other top players at their positions (as we did Hunt).....
Baker....."Bring 'em on & I'll TAKE 'em on!"
Landry..."Bring 'em on & I'll TAKE 'em on!"
OBJ......."Bring 'em on & I'll TAKE 'em on!"
Chubb..."Bring 'em on & I'll TAKE 'em on!"
Duke....."WAAA, I'm takin' my ball & going home."
We want & need COMPETITORS, not QUITTERS!
Bye Duke.
Mike
These players compete in every training and every game. You can see how Duke has been a team player even when he wasn't receiving as many touches as many of us thought he should.
In a sport so brutal and which such short careers (and we are talking about a running back here), I don't blame him or consider him a quitter for trying to find the best option for his career. He is not so old so we still can get an interesting trade with him, so he prefers making the move himself instead of a forced trade 8 games in or after something worse happens.
-
Darron Lee on that def would be amazing. That guy would plug the hole left by Jamie nicely.
-
Reactions to signing other top players at their positions (as we did Hunt).....
Baker....."Bring 'em on & I'll TAKE 'em on!"
Landry..."Bring 'em on & I'll TAKE 'em on!"
OBJ......."Bring 'em on & I'll TAKE 'em on!"
Chubb..."Bring 'em on & I'll TAKE 'em on!"
Duke....."WAAA, I'm takin' my ball & going home."
We want & need COMPETITORS, not QUITTERS!
Bye Duke.
Mike
Duke....."WAAA, I'm takin' my ball & going home."
We want & need COMPETITORS, not QUITTERS!
Bye Duke.
What part of Dorsey shopping Duke around the league long before any hint of Duke wanting to be traded do you fail to understand?
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login