The Pick At 49
-
I can see a CB as well, but there are a lot from which to choose in that mid-2nd area...
For grins I inserted their PFF grades in parentheses besides their DraftScout Round projection.
Just shows to go ya that opinions vary...
I'll go with Lonnie Johnson jr. ... big body across from Ward.
Zombo
Zombo said:
I'll go with Lonnie Johnson jr. ... big body across from Ward.
Not a bad choice, but if we are going to ignore PFF's grades then let's go with another U of H kid... Isaiah Johnson. Same height as Lonnie, but faster and crushed the 3-cone with a 6.81 vs. Lonnie's 7.01.
Lonnie's only edge is 1.5" more vertical...
-
Zombo said:
I'll go with Lonnie Johnson jr. ... big body across from Ward.
Not a bad choice, but if we are going to ignore PFF's grades then let's go with another U of H kid... Isaiah Johnson. Same height as Lonnie, but faster and crushed the 3-cone with a 6.81 vs. Lonnie's 7.01.
Lonnie's only edge is 1.5" more vertical...
Isaiah Johnson. Same height as Lonnie, but faster
You can't teach speed. - He's fast.
...quite a crap-shoot trying to determine who pick #49 will be...and I wouldn't be surprised to see us move around in the second round.
(No 1st round pick for us...but we have one of the best receivers in the game to place along side of Landry, Njoku & Calllaway/Higgins/Willies.....so far we're having a great draft)
-
Isaiah Johnson. Same height as Lonnie, but faster
You can't teach speed. - He's fast.
...quite a crap-shoot trying to determine who pick #49 will be...and I wouldn't be surprised to see us move around in the second round.
(No 1st round pick for us...but we have one of the best receivers in the game to place along side of Landry, Njoku & Calllaway/Higgins/Willies.....so far we're having a great draft)
-
Dorsey makes a draft day trade as follows: Browns trade 2nd round pick (49) a 5th round pick (155) and Duke Johnson to Philly for their 1st round pick (26) and Rasual Douglas.
Browns draft one of the three: CB Greedy Williams, DT Jeffrey Simmons or best OL available.
I could certainly see a trade, but this one makes little sense for PHI. They just got Jordan Howard, and have other backs for a committee.
I like Duke, but I don't think he is worth that much in a trade.
I think there will be someone wherever the Browns draft that can help them, I'm guessing it's a defender
I could certainly see a trade, but this one makes little sense for PHI. They just got Jordan Howard, and have other backs for a committee.
I like Duke, but I don't think he is worth that much in a trade.
I think there will be someone wherever the Browns draft that can help them, I'm guessing it's a defender
Even with the Jets adding L.Bell, it's still being reported that 3 teams including the Jets have interest in Duke. Reported also is we have interest in Jets Darron Lee's coverage skills at LB..The Browns own pick 3.16 in 3rd..The Jets have no 2nd rounder, but own two 3rd rounders of 3.4 & 3.29..Am wondering if the Lee/Duke deal gets done with us flipping Jets picks in 3rd & not sure which way it flips?
-
Might not be picking 49
Browns GM John Dorsey, who traded a 1st-round pick for Odell Beckham Jr., is considering trading back into the 1st round.
-
Here’s a lengthy, athletic corner from Clemson, Trayvon Mullen, the 69th ranked player in the draft according to NFL.com. 6’1, sub 4.5 40 time, nice frame.
-
Talk on twitter we could go to 8 by offering Lions our 49, our 2nd and 3rd rounders next year and Duke Johnson .......
-
Talk on twitter we could go to 8 by offering Lions our 49, our 2nd and 3rd rounders next year and Duke Johnson .......
-
-
Yes it does. But we may have to outbid someone like Miami who might also want to move up there to get ahead of Denver for Drew Lock.
But Denver might go up for Drew as well...
The rise of the QBs is how a D. White could fall to 8 or 10 or 12...
Don't put it past Dorsey to apparently overspend for the #8 and then trade down a slot or three, recoup some of his spend and still get his guy. I'd just hope that his guy is our guy...
At any rate it's getting interesting.
-
Yes it does. But we may have to outbid someone like Miami who might also want to move up there to get ahead of Denver for Drew Lock.
But Denver might go up for Drew as well...
The rise of the QBs is how a D. White could fall to 8 or 10 or 12...
Don't put it past Dorsey to apparently overspend for the #8 and then trade down a slot or three, recoup some of his spend and still get his guy. I'd just hope that his guy is our guy...
At any rate it's getting interesting.
But Denver might go up for Drew as well...
The rise of the QBs is how a D. White could fall to 8 or 10 or 12...
Don't put it past Dorsey to apparently overspend for the #8 and then trade down a slot or three, recoup some of his spend and still get his guy. I'd just hope that his guy is our guy...
At any rate it's getting interesting.
Of course this is the crazy time of smoke and mirrors, so who knows. I just hope we find a way to get White. That guy is a difference maker right where we need him most. Just imagine him operating behind this line we now have. Gonna be tough to move the ball on us.
-
-
I wouldn't mortgage our future for White. I'm on the record saying G. Pratt, K. Hodge, and T. Watson are just as good if not better.
Straight up vs. the run? I'd have to agree to varying extents with your take... especially in Pratt's case... barely in Watson's... with Hodge in the middle.
But add in coverage? That's where White separates himself IMO. For me it's his 3-down balance on the field that draws me to him... plus his raw speed which he translates quite well into impact.
But if we go 2nd tier, then I'd add one sneaky name to the end of your list... the gamecocks' Cam Smith. Right now he's a 2 -down guy who gets in position vs. the pass, but somehow just doesn't make the plays he's set to make.
-
I wouldn't mortgage our future for White. I'm on the record saying G. Pratt, K. Hodge, and T. Watson are just as good if not better.
Straight up vs. the run? I'd have to agree to varying extents with your take... especially in Pratt's case... barely in Watson's... with Hodge in the middle.
But add in coverage? That's where White separates himself IMO. For me it's his 3-down balance on the field that draws me to him... plus his raw speed which he translates quite well into impact.
But if we go 2nd tier, then I'd add one sneaky name to the end of your list... the gamecocks' Cam Smith. Right now he's a 2 -down guy who gets in position vs. the pass, but somehow just doesn't make the plays he's set to make.
Straight up vs. the run? I'd have to agree to varying extents with your take... especially in Pratt's case... barely in Watson's... with Hodge in the middle.
But add in coverage? That's where White separates himself IMO. For me it's his 3-down balance on the field that draws me to him... plus his raw speed which he translates quite well into impact.
But if we go 2nd tier, then I'd add one sneaky name to the end of your list... the gamecocks' Cam Smith. Right now he's a 2 -down guy who gets in position vs. the pass, but somehow just doesn't make the plays he's set to make.
That's why I'm so high on Pratt, he converted from safety to LBer so he has experience in coverage. All 3 are better vs the run, they aren't freak athletes that jump off the screen. They are quicker to react, get in the gap, and tackle better. White has a ton of potential, but he also could be a bust.
-
I could certainly see a trade, but this one makes little sense for PHI. They just got Jordan Howard, and have other backs for a committee.
I like Duke, but I don't think he is worth that much in a trade.
I think there will be someone wherever the Browns draft that can help them, I'm guessing it's a defender
Even with the Jets adding L.Bell, it's still being reported that 3 teams including the Jets have interest in Duke. Reported also is we have interest in Jets Darron Lee's coverage skills at LB..The Browns own pick 3.16 in 3rd..The Jets have no 2nd rounder, but own two 3rd rounders of 3.4 & 3.29..Am wondering if the Lee/Duke deal gets done with us flipping Jets picks in 3rd & not sure which way it flips?
Even with the Jets adding L.Bell, it's still being reported that 3 teams including the Jets have interest in Duke. Reported also is we have interest in Jets Darron Lee's coverage skills at LB..The Browns own pick 3.16 in 3rd..The Jets have no 2nd rounder, but own two 3rd rounders of 3.4 & 3.29..Am wondering if the Lee/Duke deal gets done with us flipping Jets picks in 3rd & not sure which way it flips?
Oh I might not have made my point clear. I wouldn't be surprised if any team traded for Duke, but some others would need it more. I just think its unrealistic to think Duke nets you getting in the 1st round plus Douglas
-
Personally, I think he's just throwin' stuff out there so that everyone knows he's open for business, but actually has no 'real' intentions........of course if someone that they absolutely loved is sliding to the bottom of the round, all bets are off.
Personally, I think he's just throwin' stuff out there so that everyone knows he's open for business, but actually has no 'real' intentions........of course if someone that they absolutely loved is sliding to the bottom of the round, all bets are off.
Just read a CBS article saying basically what you did.
It quotes this exchange between JD and Schefter:
"Business as usual. That's the way it is," Dorsey said. "Who's to say I won't go up in the first round?"
"Might we see something there?" Schefter asked.
"You never know," Dorsey said. "My phone's open. They can give me a call."
I'm pretty sure if you're hot to move up, then you make the calls.
-
Straight up vs. the run? I'd have to agree to varying extents with your take... especially in Pratt's case... barely in Watson's... with Hodge in the middle.
But add in coverage? That's where White separates himself IMO. For me it's his 3-down balance on the field that draws me to him... plus his raw speed which he translates quite well into impact.
But if we go 2nd tier, then I'd add one sneaky name to the end of your list... the gamecocks' Cam Smith. Right now he's a 2 -down guy who gets in position vs. the pass, but somehow just doesn't make the plays he's set to make.
That's why I'm so high on Pratt, he converted from safety to LBer so he has experience in coverage. All 3 are better vs the run, they aren't freak athletes that jump off the screen. They are quicker to react, get in the gap, and tackle better. White has a ton of potential, but he also could be a bust.
That's why I'm so high on Pratt, he converted from safety to LBer so he has experience in coverage. All 3 are better vs the run, they aren't freak athletes that jump off the screen. They are quicker to react, get in the gap, and tackle better. White has a ton of potential, but he also could be a bust.
White was recruited to LSU as a star running back in HS and has that kind of athletic ability and speed. He is still learning to be a defensive player and he has the highest ceiling of all of them IMO. A good ILB coach can turn him into a monster. When he arrives, he hits.
-
That's why I'm so high on Pratt, he converted from safety to LBer so he has experience in coverage. All 3 are better vs the run, they aren't freak athletes that jump off the screen. They are quicker to react, get in the gap, and tackle better. White has a ton of potential, but he also could be a bust.
White was recruited to LSU as a star running back in HS and has that kind of athletic ability and speed. He is still learning to be a defensive player and he has the highest ceiling of all of them IMO. A good ILB coach can turn him into a monster. When he arrives, he hits.
White was recruited to LSU as a star running back in HS and has that kind of athletic ability and speed. He is still learning to be a defensive player and he has the highest ceiling of all of them IMO. A good ILB coach can turn him into a monster. When he arrives, he hits.
I agree with all of that, but if I'm spending a high pick on a player they have to have the instincts to play the position. I love the upside but white could be the taylor Mays of the LBer position. We dont have a chance at him anyways if we do trade up it will be in the back end of the 1st. I could see a package of picks plus Duke to get to Green bays pick at 30.
-
I rule nothing out.
IMO, Dorsey is as creative in acquiring talent as Freddie is creative with his offense. I'm just enjoying the ride!
Mike
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login
