Skip to content

Stay at #49 or trade down

The Browns Board
78 23 2.2k 1
  • 7 7moses7 wrote on last edited by
    #17

    Stay at 49 and take a Savage,  Darnell Savage. S.  Maryland 

  • jcam222J jcam222 wrote on last edited by jcam222
    #18

    Stay at 49 or move up if the right player / value exists. This team is not in need of collecting lower round draft capitol with a trade down. 

  • Stay at 49 or move up if the right player / value exists. This team is not in need of collecting lower round draft capitol with a trade down. 

    OrionO Orion wrote on last edited by
    #19

    @jcam222 said:

    Stay at 49 or move up if the right player / value exists. This team is not in need of collecting lower round draft capitol with a trade down. 

    ...unless, as the draft unfolds, your board is telling you that the players available at 49 aren't much better than those you've got rated in the 60's.

    I DO trust JD.....but I just think it's time for the drunken sailor to sober up.

  • @canton-mike said:

    There ya go, and Dorsey will certainly be looking at those who drop.

    "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder."

    Mike

    If I'm Dorsey with White still on the board and the next team up gives me a call, I have an initial offer and a backup already packaged and tailored to that team's needs.

    EDIT: And I agree we got our #1 this year already, so I'm ready to trade off next year's to get White now as part of the deal. Just consider it an early Xmas present under the tree.

    gumby73G gumby73 wrote on last edited by
    #20

    @texasag1969 said:

     I have an initial offer and a backup already packaged and tailored to that team's needs.

    so I'm ready to trade off next year's to get White now as part of the deal. Just consider it an early Xmas present under the tree.

    K8Df.gif   No debbie downer here, cus White sits on top my board too.1)from what i count, 9 of the top 20 picks have a LB need, starting with Oak/TB at #4/5. 2) It may take a Xmas miracle to get White past 10.Den. 11.Cinn. & 12.GB /yikes imo!.Some help would be if 3 QB's go in top 10 ? 3) Miami would gladly take our 1st round pick next year, loading up at QB crop next season. Sadly Miami sits at #13 tough. 4) The only dirt path left that i see for White, is the Lions sitting at #8 ahead of White's top suitors. For the same QB, load up reasons next draft.Issue is, Matt Patricia may pack his bags, after Day 1 of draft...Come on Detroit---Hear Me Roar!! ?   

  • @tour2ma said:

    A)Trade charts are guides not absolutes. The value of the talent moves the chart values.

    You mention Top Ten talent...

    B)There are at least 15 positional players in the 2019 Draft worthy of going in the top ten.

    C)Add that I see only one QB whose potential has earned the right to be in that mix, yet as may as three may go that high.

    D)Throw in a "WTF?" pick no one, other than the picking team, saw going that high.

    A) the last few drafts, The Harvard chart seems more likely to be in favor.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                 B.) Agreed..Than i'd agree with dorsey on 1st rd talent left at pick #17..Them some big words till outcome. Bogus if JD goes back up in 1st? stay tuned..                                                                          C) Call this crazy..But I see Ryan Finley growing into best QB value this class. And the Patriots will be the team to know better in round 2 or 3..                                                                                                D) Happens every draft & mostly to high picked Wide Outs..Color me in, as DK Metcalf being that pick. Got Gordo explosion off line, not much after.. 

    FlugelF Flugel wrote on last edited by Flugel
    #21

    @gumby73 said:

    C) Call this crazy..But I see Ryan Finley growing into best QB value this class. And the Patriots will be the team to know better in round 2 or 3..                                                                                           

    I posted something very similar about Finley in Tour's thread about his Darkhorse QB; and NE was the team/situation I mentioned as ideal for him. 

    That said, I could also see the New Jersey Giants or LA Chargers snagging him some time after round 1.  Gruden has a lot of picks as well to where he land him in a bargain round. But he's never been patient with young inexperienced QBs which is why he did best with Rich Gannon and Brad Johnson (in their mid 30s).

  • @gumby73 said:

    C) Call this crazy..But I see Ryan Finley growing into best QB value this class. And the Patriots will be the team to know better in round 2 or 3..                                                                                           

    I posted something very similar about Finley in Tour's thread about his Darkhorse QB; and NE was the team/situation I mentioned as ideal for him. 

    That said, I could also see the New Jersey Giants or LA Chargers snagging him some time after round 1.  Gruden has a lot of picks as well to where he land him in a bargain round. But he's never been patient with young inexperienced QBs which is why he did best with Rich Gannon and Brad Johnson (in their mid 30s).

    T TexasAg1969 wrote on last edited by TexasAg1969
    #22

    @flugel said:

    I posted something very similar about Finley in Tour's thread about his Darkhorse QB.

    You might want to review his games against Texas A&M & Clemson. A bit less impressive against decent SEC & ACC defenses. Total of 1 DT and 4 ints for those two games and QB ratings of  93.7 and 88.5 respectively. I wasn't sold watching the A&M game live. His team got routed 52-13 by A&M and 41-7 by Clemson. He was held to 139 yds passing by A&M and 156 by Clemson, his two lows for the season.

  • @flugel said:

    I posted something very similar about Finley in Tour's thread about his Darkhorse QB.

    You might want to review his games against Texas A&M & Clemson. A bit less impressive against decent SEC & ACC defenses. Total of 1 DT and 4 ints for those two games and QB ratings of  93.7 and 88.5 respectively. I wasn't sold watching the A&M game live. His team got routed 52-13 by A&M and 41-7 by Clemson. He was held to 139 yds passing by A&M and 156 by Clemson, his two lows for the season.

    FlugelF Flugel wrote on last edited by Flugel
    #23

    @texasag1969 said:

    You might want to review his games against Texas A&M & Clemson. A bit less impressive against decent SEC & ACC defenses. Total of 1 DT and 4 ints for those two games and QB ratings of  93.7 and 88.5 respectively. I wasn't sold watching the A&M game live. His team got routed 52-13 by A&M and 41-7 by Clemson. He was held to 139 yds passing by A&M and 156 by Clemson, his two lows for the season.

    I believe you Aggies and worthy of note.  That said, how did Alabama's QB look against Clemson?  And not to go hindsight 20/20 on you; but just because Texas Tech didn't always compete against much more talented rosters - that didn't have to mean Patrick Mahomes was a bad idea for the NFL team interested in him.  Everybody has a bad day or 2 so it's important to understand whether it's the exception to the rule (and why) or is it the rule?   The context of Ryan Finley as it pertains to this discussion isn't among 1st round QBs - it's about the bargain he offers to the right taker with the right situation.  The same Coach that drafted Donovan McNabb out of SU's Veer Option Offense (after he was Favre's QB Coach) - traded up alongside John Dorsey to select Mahomes.  Right Coach?  Right situation?  You bet!  In his 1st year as a NFL starter, he won with way more frequency than he ever did at Texas Tech... Much better margin of error to work with.  Speaking of that, when Tom Brady got injured Matt Cassell stepped in won 10 or 11 games with an ideal margin or error the right situation blessed him with.

    Along with what I saw when Finley was keeping NC State in the same game his Defense never showed up to at Syracuse - below is a partial cut and paste of what I posted in the QB Darkhorse thread. 

    Here's Ryan Finley's stats during the 3 years he started for the Wolfpack:

    2016  13 G  243-402  60.4 cmp%  3059 yds  7.6 ypa  18 TD  8 INT                                                                                               

    2017  13 G  311-478  65.1 cmp%  3514 yds  7.4 ypa  17 TD  6 INT

    2018  13 G  326-482  67.4 cmp%  3928 yds  8.1 ypa  25 TD  11 INT

    Gotta have?  No.  Steady improvement?  Absolutely.   If this kid goes to the right situation like NE per say, he could learn from another QB who wasn't anyone's dream PRE-draft.

  • @texasag1969 said:

    You might want to review his games against Texas A&M & Clemson. A bit less impressive against decent SEC & ACC defenses. Total of 1 DT and 4 ints for those two games and QB ratings of  93.7 and 88.5 respectively. I wasn't sold watching the A&M game live. His team got routed 52-13 by A&M and 41-7 by Clemson. He was held to 139 yds passing by A&M and 156 by Clemson, his two lows for the season.

    I believe you Aggies and worthy of note.  That said, how did Alabama's QB look against Clemson?  And not to go hindsight 20/20 on you; but just because Texas Tech didn't always compete against much more talented rosters - that didn't have to mean Patrick Mahomes was a bad idea for the NFL team interested in him.  Everybody has a bad day or 2 so it's important to understand whether it's the exception to the rule (and why) or is it the rule?   The context of Ryan Finley as it pertains to this discussion isn't among 1st round QBs - it's about the bargain he offers to the right taker with the right situation.  The same Coach that drafted Donovan McNabb out of SU's Veer Option Offense (after he was Favre's QB Coach) - traded up alongside John Dorsey to select Mahomes.  Right Coach?  Right situation?  You bet!  In his 1st year as a NFL starter, he won with way more frequency than he ever did at Texas Tech... Much better margin of error to work with.  Speaking of that, when Tom Brady got injured Matt Cassell stepped in won 10 or 11 games with an ideal margin or error the right situation blessed him with.

    Along with what I saw when Finley was keeping NC State in the same game his Defense never showed up to at Syracuse - below is a partial cut and paste of what I posted in the QB Darkhorse thread. 

    Here's Ryan Finley's stats during the 3 years he started for the Wolfpack:

    2016  13 G  243-402  60.4 cmp%  3059 yds  7.6 ypa  18 TD  8 INT                                                                                               

    2017  13 G  311-478  65.1 cmp%  3514 yds  7.4 ypa  17 TD  6 INT

    2018  13 G  326-482  67.4 cmp%  3928 yds  8.1 ypa  25 TD  11 INT

    Gotta have?  No.  Steady improvement?  Absolutely.   If this kid goes to the right situation like NE per say, he could learn from another QB who wasn't anyone's dream PRE-draft.

    T TexasAg1969 wrote on last edited by
    #24

    @flugel said:

    Gotta have?  No.  Steady improvement?  Absolutely.   If this kid goes to the right situation like NE per say, he could learn from another QB who wasn't anyone's dream PRE-draft.

    Yep, and one of the pickers out there has him going to NE, so there's that.

  • Gunz41G Gunz41 wrote on last edited by
    #25

    I'm guessing these trade up options are hopes and dreams and not actually thinking they would work.

    I don't think any team would have that much love for Duke. Everyone here is thinking he has very little play after Hunt comes back. And every team also knows that, so the Browns are in a negative situation then. And teams also know they can get value late in Draft or undrafted for the position. In fact, I remember all the talk last year about how great Barkley was, most proclaiming the best prospect, but almost everyone didn't want to draft him at #1, and majority not to draft him at #4, because you can get similar production in someone like Chubb. There is a reason why he would be 3rd when Hunt comes back. So to think he would make a big difference in a trade up doesn't make sense.

    First the double trade up is crazy, even in a dream. Most think the Browns will be good this upcoming season, so future picks will be low in a round. So to think trading a 3rd this year, Duke, and next year 1st to get a pick in the teens, well what benefit does that do for that team? But let's just say that were to happen miraculously. Lets say that is the 14th pick. What benefit does it do for the Jets to get the 14th, 47th, and next years pick at say 56. Do anybody really think that is even close to equaling this years #3? 

    Again there is a reason why future 1st round picks are valued a round lower. Its because of the unknown. 

  • ballpeenB ballpeen wrote on last edited by
    #26

    I don't see the point in trading down unless it is for a pick next year.  We still have 7 draft choice.  That is more than the probable number of roster spots that will be open.  

    Trade up if anything.  I would like to see the 7 picks turn in to maybe 4 drafted players.

  • I'm guessing these trade up options are hopes and dreams and not actually thinking they would work.

    I don't think any team would have that much love for Duke. Everyone here is thinking he has very little play after Hunt comes back. And every team also knows that, so the Browns are in a negative situation then. And teams also know they can get value late in Draft or undrafted for the position. In fact, I remember all the talk last year about how great Barkley was, most proclaiming the best prospect, but almost everyone didn't want to draft him at #1, and majority not to draft him at #4, because you can get similar production in someone like Chubb. There is a reason why he would be 3rd when Hunt comes back. So to think he would make a big difference in a trade up doesn't make sense.

    First the double trade up is crazy, even in a dream. Most think the Browns will be good this upcoming season, so future picks will be low in a round. So to think trading a 3rd this year, Duke, and next year 1st to get a pick in the teens, well what benefit does that do for that team? But let's just say that were to happen miraculously. Lets say that is the 14th pick. What benefit does it do for the Jets to get the 14th, 47th, and next years pick at say 56. Do anybody really think that is even close to equaling this years #3? 

    Again there is a reason why future 1st round picks are valued a round lower. Its because of the unknown. 

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #27

    @gunz41 said:

    I'm guessing these trade up options are hopes and dreams and not actually thinking they would work.

    I don't think any team would have that much love for Duke. Everyone here is thinking he has very little play after Hunt comes back. And every team also knows that, so the Browns are in a negative situation then. And teams also know they can get value late in Draft or undrafted for the position. In fact, I remember all the talk last year about how great Barkley was, most proclaiming the best prospect, but almost everyone didn't want to draft him at #1, and majority not to draft him at #4, because you can get similar production in someone like Chubb. There is a reason why he would be 3rd when Hunt comes back. So to think he would make a big difference in a trade up doesn't make sense.

    First the double trade up is crazy, even in a dream. Most think the Browns will be good this upcoming season, so future picks will be low in a round. So to think trading a 3rd this year, Duke, and next year 1st to get a pick in the teens, well what benefit does that do for that team? But let's just say that were to happen miraculously. Lets say that is the 14th pick. What benefit does it do for the Jets to get the 14th, 47th, and next years pick at say 56. Do anybody really think that is even close to equaling this years #3? 

    Again there is a reason why future 1st round picks are valued a round lower. Its because of the unknown. 

    As far as I am concerned the value in Duke Johnson is NOT  in whatever we can trade him for....but in whatever use can be made of him. He is...to my mind, that prototypical  3rd down back.   A guy you can run the ball with....throw the ball to out of the backfield, and also use in the slot at times.  He can be productive in all those situations.   I am NOT certain that Hunt has all those attributes....and he certainly won't have them for the Browns to use in the first 8 games....and beyond likely.  He seems to me to be more like Chubb than like Duke.

    In my view...if we got rid of Duke, then we would have to be in the market to get a guy just like him. So, getting rid of him is counter productive...and if Dorsey does so then I see it as just a case of "he's not my guy"  at play.

  • @gunz41 said:

    I'm guessing these trade up options are hopes and dreams and not actually thinking they would work.

    I don't think any team would have that much love for Duke. Everyone here is thinking he has very little play after Hunt comes back. And every team also knows that, so the Browns are in a negative situation then. And teams also know they can get value late in Draft or undrafted for the position. In fact, I remember all the talk last year about how great Barkley was, most proclaiming the best prospect, but almost everyone didn't want to draft him at #1, and majority not to draft him at #4, because you can get similar production in someone like Chubb. There is a reason why he would be 3rd when Hunt comes back. So to think he would make a big difference in a trade up doesn't make sense.

    First the double trade up is crazy, even in a dream. Most think the Browns will be good this upcoming season, so future picks will be low in a round. So to think trading a 3rd this year, Duke, and next year 1st to get a pick in the teens, well what benefit does that do for that team? But let's just say that were to happen miraculously. Lets say that is the 14th pick. What benefit does it do for the Jets to get the 14th, 47th, and next years pick at say 56. Do anybody really think that is even close to equaling this years #3? 

    Again there is a reason why future 1st round picks are valued a round lower. Its because of the unknown. 

    As far as I am concerned the value in Duke Johnson is NOT  in whatever we can trade him for....but in whatever use can be made of him. He is...to my mind, that prototypical  3rd down back.   A guy you can run the ball with....throw the ball to out of the backfield, and also use in the slot at times.  He can be productive in all those situations.   I am NOT certain that Hunt has all those attributes....and he certainly won't have them for the Browns to use in the first 8 games....and beyond likely.  He seems to me to be more like Chubb than like Duke.

    In my view...if we got rid of Duke, then we would have to be in the market to get a guy just like him. So, getting rid of him is counter productive...and if Dorsey does so then I see it as just a case of "he's not my guy"  at play.

    OrionO Orion wrote on last edited by
    #28

    @the-gipper said:

    He is...to my mind, that prototypical  3rd down back.   A guy you can run the ball with....throw the ball to out of the backfield, and also use in the slot at times.

    Duke also blocks decently.   His value is higher to us than to any other team....considering our situation with Hunt.  But I won't be surprised to see him dealt on Friday and we go into the season with Hilliard is our 3rd RB.

  • @gunz41 said:

    I'm guessing these trade up options are hopes and dreams and not actually thinking they would work.

    I don't think any team would have that much love for Duke. Everyone here is thinking he has very little play after Hunt comes back. And every team also knows that, so the Browns are in a negative situation then. And teams also know they can get value late in Draft or undrafted for the position. In fact, I remember all the talk last year about how great Barkley was, most proclaiming the best prospect, but almost everyone didn't want to draft him at #1, and majority not to draft him at #4, because you can get similar production in someone like Chubb. There is a reason why he would be 3rd when Hunt comes back. So to think he would make a big difference in a trade up doesn't make sense.

    First the double trade up is crazy, even in a dream. Most think the Browns will be good this upcoming season, so future picks will be low in a round. So to think trading a 3rd this year, Duke, and next year 1st to get a pick in the teens, well what benefit does that do for that team? But let's just say that were to happen miraculously. Lets say that is the 14th pick. What benefit does it do for the Jets to get the 14th, 47th, and next years pick at say 56. Do anybody really think that is even close to equaling this years #3? 

    Again there is a reason why future 1st round picks are valued a round lower. Its because of the unknown. 

    As far as I am concerned the value in Duke Johnson is NOT  in whatever we can trade him for....but in whatever use can be made of him. He is...to my mind, that prototypical  3rd down back.   A guy you can run the ball with....throw the ball to out of the backfield, and also use in the slot at times.  He can be productive in all those situations.   I am NOT certain that Hunt has all those attributes....and he certainly won't have them for the Browns to use in the first 8 games....and beyond likely.  He seems to me to be more like Chubb than like Duke.

    In my view...if we got rid of Duke, then we would have to be in the market to get a guy just like him. So, getting rid of him is counter productive...and if Dorsey does so then I see it as just a case of "he's not my guy"  at play.

    Gunz41G Gunz41 wrote on last edited by
    #29

    @the-gipper said:

    As far as I am concerned the value in Duke Johnson is NOT  in whatever we can trade him for....but in whatever use can be made of him. He is...to my mind, that prototypical  3rd down back.   A guy you can run the ball with....throw the ball to out of the backfield, and also use in the slot at times.  He can be productive in all those situations.   I am NOT certain that Hunt has all those attributes....and he certainly won't have them for the Browns to use in the first 8 games....and beyond likely.  He seems to me to be more like Chubb than like Duke.

    In my view...if we got rid of Duke, then we would have to be in the market to get a guy just like him. So, getting rid of him is counter productive...and if Dorsey does so then I see it as just a case of "he's not my guy"  at play.

    I agree, but it seems that most expect him to be dealt, and some seem to value his trade value as a top tier player. I like him as a player, but he doesn't equal what those guys are saying 

  • ballpeenB ballpeen wrote on last edited by
    #30

    Hilliard has his spot.  Time to move on.

  • Hilliard has his spot.  Time to move on.

    OrionO Orion wrote on last edited by
    #31

    @ballpeen said:

    Hilliard has his spot.  Time to move on.

    So what does that mean to you?  Cut him?  Trade him for a flip of 7th round picks?  

  • Hilliard has his spot.  Time to move on.

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #32

    @ballpeen said:

    Hilliard has his spot.  Time to move on.

    From Hilliard.

  • @ballpeen said:

    Hilliard has his spot.  Time to move on.

    So what does that mean to you?  Cut him?  Trade him for a flip of 7th round picks?  

    ballpeenB ballpeen wrote on last edited by
    #33

    @orion said:

    So what does that mean to you?  Cut him?  Trade him for a flip of 7th round picks?  

    Maybe package Our 3rd and Duke to get back in to round 2.

    @the-gipper said:

    From Hilliard.

    I doubt it.  I don't know why so many think Duke a great player.  If he was, he would have been playing more.  Hilliard had 9 receptions last year on probably as many targets...I couldn't find that info.  He will step in nicely.

  • ballpeenB ballpeen wrote on last edited by
    #34

    Oh....people say why trade him when all we will get is a flip of 7th round picks.  I think that says it right...he is a dime a dozen player.  There are all kinds of journeymen backs out there who go from team to team and catch 40 balls.

  • @orion said:

    So what does that mean to you?  Cut him?  Trade him for a flip of 7th round picks?  

    Maybe package Our 3rd and Duke to get back in to round 2.

    @the-gipper said:

    From Hilliard.

    I doubt it.  I don't know why so many think Duke a great player.  If he was, he would have been playing more.  Hilliard had 9 receptions last year on probably as many targets...I couldn't find that info.  He will step in nicely.

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #35

    @ballpeen said:

    Maybe package Our 3rd and Duke to get back in to round 2.

    I doubt it.  I don't know why so many think Duke a great player.  If he was, he would have been playing more.  Hilliard had 9 receptions last year on probably as many targets...I couldn't find that info.  He will step in nicely.

    Duke was the best weapon this team had for a couple of years.  Before Mayfield, before Chubb, before Calloway, before Landry.  Perhaps that is why. Most of us do NOT believe his capability was diminished...only his utilization:

    Rushing & Receiving

     
      •   Games Rushing Receiving Total Yds      
        Year Age Tm Pos No. G GS Rush Yds TD Lng Y/A Y/G A/G Tgt Rec Yds Y/R TD Lng R/G Y/G Ctch% Y/Tgt Touch Y/Tch YScm RRTD Fmb AV
        Career       64 10 299 1286 5 39 4.3 20.1 4.7 303 235 2170 9.2 8 52 3.7 33.9 77.6%   534 6.4719 3456 13 8 20
        2015 22 CLE rb 29 16 7 104 379 0 39 3.6 23.7 6.5 74 61 534 8.8 2 52 3.8 33.4 82.4% 7.2 165 5.5333 913 2 1 5
        2016 23 CLE rb 29 16 1 73 358 1 22 4.9 22.4 4.6 74 53 514 9.7 0 32 3.3 32.1 71.6% 6.9 126 6.9206 872 1 2 5
        2017 24 CLE   29 16 0 82 348 4 19 4.2 21.8 5.1 93 74 693 9.4 3 41 4.6 43.3 79.6% 7.5 156 6.6731 1041 7 4 6
        2018 25 CLE rb 29 16 2 40 201 0 23 5.0 12.6 2.5 62 47 429 9.1 3 32 2.9 26.8 75.8% 6.9 87 7.2414 630 3 1 4

    To be reduced from 165 touches to 87 would reduce any player's output.  Yet note that his yards per touch increase quite a bit last year...even though he had fewer touches.

  • Oh....people say why trade him when all we will get is a flip of 7th round picks.  I think that says it right...he is a dime a dozen player.  There are all kinds of journeymen backs out there who go from team to team and catch 40 balls.

    OrionO Orion wrote on last edited by
    #36

    @ballpeen said:

    ..he is a dime a dozen player.  There are all kinds of journeymen backs out there who go from team to team and catch 40 balls.

    .....I believe in another thread I called it, "Rent - a - Running Back".  

    Duke is a smart football player who can catch, run & block.  

    I think Dorsey made a mistake when he answered the Karem Hunt question by answering, "No, singing Karem Hunt doesn't make Duke expendable yet."    - I wish he wouldn't have said the word 'yet'.