Skip to content

Stay at #49 or trade down

The Browns Board
78 23 2.2k 1
  • Hilliard has his spot.  Time to move on.

    OrionO Orion wrote on last edited by
    #31

    @ballpeen said:

    Hilliard has his spot.  Time to move on.

    So what does that mean to you?  Cut him?  Trade him for a flip of 7th round picks?  

  • Hilliard has his spot.  Time to move on.

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #32

    @ballpeen said:

    Hilliard has his spot.  Time to move on.

    From Hilliard.

  • @ballpeen said:

    Hilliard has his spot.  Time to move on.

    So what does that mean to you?  Cut him?  Trade him for a flip of 7th round picks?  

    ballpeenB ballpeen wrote on last edited by
    #33

    @orion said:

    So what does that mean to you?  Cut him?  Trade him for a flip of 7th round picks?  

    Maybe package Our 3rd and Duke to get back in to round 2.

    @the-gipper said:

    From Hilliard.

    I doubt it.  I don't know why so many think Duke a great player.  If he was, he would have been playing more.  Hilliard had 9 receptions last year on probably as many targets...I couldn't find that info.  He will step in nicely.

  • ballpeenB ballpeen wrote on last edited by
    #34

    Oh....people say why trade him when all we will get is a flip of 7th round picks.  I think that says it right...he is a dime a dozen player.  There are all kinds of journeymen backs out there who go from team to team and catch 40 balls.

  • @orion said:

    So what does that mean to you?  Cut him?  Trade him for a flip of 7th round picks?  

    Maybe package Our 3rd and Duke to get back in to round 2.

    @the-gipper said:

    From Hilliard.

    I doubt it.  I don't know why so many think Duke a great player.  If he was, he would have been playing more.  Hilliard had 9 receptions last year on probably as many targets...I couldn't find that info.  He will step in nicely.

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #35

    @ballpeen said:

    Maybe package Our 3rd and Duke to get back in to round 2.

    I doubt it.  I don't know why so many think Duke a great player.  If he was, he would have been playing more.  Hilliard had 9 receptions last year on probably as many targets...I couldn't find that info.  He will step in nicely.

    Duke was the best weapon this team had for a couple of years.  Before Mayfield, before Chubb, before Calloway, before Landry.  Perhaps that is why. Most of us do NOT believe his capability was diminished...only his utilization:

    Rushing & Receiving

     
      •   Games Rushing Receiving Total Yds      
        Year Age Tm Pos No. G GS Rush Yds TD Lng Y/A Y/G A/G Tgt Rec Yds Y/R TD Lng R/G Y/G Ctch% Y/Tgt Touch Y/Tch YScm RRTD Fmb AV
        Career       64 10 299 1286 5 39 4.3 20.1 4.7 303 235 2170 9.2 8 52 3.7 33.9 77.6%   534 6.4719 3456 13 8 20
        2015 22 CLE rb 29 16 7 104 379 0 39 3.6 23.7 6.5 74 61 534 8.8 2 52 3.8 33.4 82.4% 7.2 165 5.5333 913 2 1 5
        2016 23 CLE rb 29 16 1 73 358 1 22 4.9 22.4 4.6 74 53 514 9.7 0 32 3.3 32.1 71.6% 6.9 126 6.9206 872 1 2 5
        2017 24 CLE   29 16 0 82 348 4 19 4.2 21.8 5.1 93 74 693 9.4 3 41 4.6 43.3 79.6% 7.5 156 6.6731 1041 7 4 6
        2018 25 CLE rb 29 16 2 40 201 0 23 5.0 12.6 2.5 62 47 429 9.1 3 32 2.9 26.8 75.8% 6.9 87 7.2414 630 3 1 4

    To be reduced from 165 touches to 87 would reduce any player's output.  Yet note that his yards per touch increase quite a bit last year...even though he had fewer touches.

  • Oh....people say why trade him when all we will get is a flip of 7th round picks.  I think that says it right...he is a dime a dozen player.  There are all kinds of journeymen backs out there who go from team to team and catch 40 balls.

    OrionO Orion wrote on last edited by
    #36

    @ballpeen said:

    ..he is a dime a dozen player.  There are all kinds of journeymen backs out there who go from team to team and catch 40 balls.

    .....I believe in another thread I called it, "Rent - a - Running Back".  

    Duke is a smart football player who can catch, run & block.  

    I think Dorsey made a mistake when he answered the Karem Hunt question by answering, "No, singing Karem Hunt doesn't make Duke expendable yet."    - I wish he wouldn't have said the word 'yet'.

  • OrionO Orion wrote on last edited by
    #37

      -  There will be NO TRADING UP INTO ROUND ONE  -

    I just OK'ed the switch of band rehearsal from Wednesday night to Thursday night!

  •   -  There will be NO TRADING UP INTO ROUND ONE  -

    I just OK'ed the switch of band rehearsal from Wednesday night to Thursday night!

    gumby73G gumby73 wrote on last edited by gumby73
    #38

    @orion said:

      -  There will be NO TRADING UP INTO ROUND ONE  -

    I just OK'ed the switch of band rehearsal from Wednesday night to Thursday night!

    I've been rehearsing getting rid of those 6th & 7th round picks all week..My wife's birthday tickets to me, says Jimmy Buffett hits the Nashville stage at 8 pm Saturday night..Let's wrap this thing up by 6Pm Dorsey.. Come Monday..i might be alright😉 

  • Gunz41G Gunz41 wrote on last edited by
    #39

    Ballpeen, you are contradicting yourself here.

    If you think his value is swap of 7th round picks, or even by himself worth a 5th, 6th, 7th, then packaging him with a 3rd is not even close to moving to 2nd.

    Now the thing I don't understand completely is people bringing up being the best player a couple years ago to assess value. I think he is more valuable on the team as I have said, and I can't get on board with packaging him to move up in 1st 3 rounds, as I don't see that value as I have said, but being the top playmaker on a bad team doesn't mean he had great value. What that says is that the team had bad talent. That doesn't mean he couldn't be a great talent, but using his as the "best" adds no value. The best player on a bad team doesn't mean that player would be good on another 

  • Stay at 49 or move up if the right player / value exists. This team is not in need of collecting lower round draft capitol with a trade down. 

    htownbrownH htownbrown wrote on last edited by
    #40

    @jcam222 said:

    Stay at 49 or move up if the right player / value exists. This team is not in need of collecting lower round draft capitol with a trade down. 

    https://www.google.com/amp/s/brownswire.usatoday.com/2019/03/20/cleveland-browns-2019-nfl-draft-prospect-grades/amp/

    Exactly.  The FO already hinted they had determined any players left around pick 17 had second round value.  Why would you trade back into the first if you think that?  Hard to imagine a top 15 pick to fall far enough to jump that high.  Moving up in the second seems far more likely, but what do I know?

  • T TexasAg1969 wrote on last edited by
    #41
  • Ballpeen, you are contradicting yourself here.

    If you think his value is swap of 7th round picks, or even by himself worth a 5th, 6th, 7th, then packaging him with a 3rd is not even close to moving to 2nd.

    Now the thing I don't understand completely is people bringing up being the best player a couple years ago to assess value. I think he is more valuable on the team as I have said, and I can't get on board with packaging him to move up in 1st 3 rounds, as I don't see that value as I have said, but being the top playmaker on a bad team doesn't mean he had great value. What that says is that the team had bad talent. That doesn't mean he couldn't be a great talent, but using his as the "best" adds no value. The best player on a bad team doesn't mean that player would be good on another 

    Canton MikeC Canton Mike wrote on last edited by
    #42

    @gunz41 said:

    Ballpeen, you are contradicting yourself here.

    If you think his value is swap of 7th round picks, or even by himself worth a 5th, 6th, 7th, then packaging him with a 3rd is not even close to moving to 2nd.

    Now the thing I don't understand completely is people bringing up being the best player a couple years ago to assess value. I think he is more valuable on the team as I have said, and I can't get on board with packaging him to move up in 1st 3 rounds, as I don't see that value as I have said, but being the top playmaker on a bad team doesn't mean he had great value. What that says is that the team had bad talent. That doesn't mean he couldn't be a great talent, but using his as the "best" adds no value. The best player on a bad team doesn't mean that player would be good on another 

    I bolded the statements that, to me, say it all. I don't think Duke is/was as good as some think. I think he's an average back & the alleged picks suggested in trade pretty much verify that.

    Mike

  • @jcam222 said:

    Stay at 49 or move up if the right player / value exists. This team is not in need of collecting lower round draft capitol with a trade down. 

    https://www.google.com/amp/s/brownswire.usatoday.com/2019/03/20/cleveland-browns-2019-nfl-draft-prospect-grades/amp/

    Exactly.  The FO already hinted they had determined any players left around pick 17 had second round value.  Why would you trade back into the first if you think that?  Hard to imagine a top 15 pick to fall far enough to jump that high.  Moving up in the second seems far more likely, but what do I know?

    OrionO Orion wrote on last edited by
    #43

    @htownbrown said:

    The FO already hinted they had determined any players left around pick 17 had second round value.

    This is true.  But IS IT true?  Or was it pre-draft bullshit tossed out there by JD?  

  • htownbrownH htownbrown wrote on last edited by
    #44

    Idk, but most consider him a straight shooter.  If he moves back into the first, a top 15 player on his board has probably fallen to the late 20s.  Just doesn't seem likely to me.

  • hoortaH hoorta wrote on last edited by hoorta
    #45

    @texasag1969 said:

    10 potential picks @ # 49

    https://www.wkyc.com/article/sports/nfl/browns/10-players-the-cleveland-browns-could-select-with-pick-no-49-in-the-2019-nfl-draft/95-f431955d-d8e0-43cf-a5eb-474719c93efd

    LOL Ag, you may be an A&M homer, but I'm definitely a (note the bold) Benedictine homer. Yeah, my HS Alma Mater, and unless things have seriously changed around there, Layne is a high quality individual.   

    Enter Benedictine product Justin Layne, who is coming off a productive junior season at Michigan State in which he tallied 72 tackles, 2.5 of which came for a loss, 15 passes defended and 1 interception. At 6-foot-2 and 192 pounds, the second-team All-Big Ten selection is a bit rangier than Ward and could provide the Browns with more flexibility when it comes to defending opposing receivers.

    BTW, third round pick from last year Jerome Baker went to the same HS by way of Ohio State. 

  •   -  There will be NO TRADING UP INTO ROUND ONE  -

    I just OK'ed the switch of band rehearsal from Wednesday night to Thursday night!

    hoortaH hoorta wrote on last edited by
    #46

    @orion said:

      -  There will be NO TRADING UP INTO ROUND ONE  -

    I just OK'ed the switch of band rehearsal from Wednesday night to Thursday night!

    @gumby73 said:

    I've been rehearsing getting rid of those 6th & 7th round picks all week..My wife's birthday tickets to me, says Jimmy Buffett hits the Nashville stage at 8 pm Saturday night..Let's wrap this thing up by 6Pm Dorsey.. Come Monday..i might be alright😉 

    Haven't you guys heard of the wonders  of DVR?  I'll probably start watching the first round sometime around 9:30, just to rip through all the commercials and other BS.  

    Gums, unless you're a total draft nerd, guys we take in the 6\7th round are going to be players you never heard of. Unless you really want to see who's going to take Mr. Irrelevant around 6PM Saturday, I'd say Buffett will be far more entertaining. 

  • Ballpeen, you are contradicting yourself here.

    If you think his value is swap of 7th round picks, or even by himself worth a 5th, 6th, 7th, then packaging him with a 3rd is not even close to moving to 2nd.

    Now the thing I don't understand completely is people bringing up being the best player a couple years ago to assess value. I think he is more valuable on the team as I have said, and I can't get on board with packaging him to move up in 1st 3 rounds, as I don't see that value as I have said, but being the top playmaker on a bad team doesn't mean he had great value. What that says is that the team had bad talent. That doesn't mean he couldn't be a great talent, but using his as the "best" adds no value. The best player on a bad team doesn't mean that player would be good on another 

    ballpeenB ballpeen wrote on last edited by
    #47

    @gunz41 said:

    Ballpeen, you are contradicting yourself here.

    If you think his value is swap of 7th round picks, or even by himself worth a 5th, 6th, 7th, then packaging him with a 3rd is not even close to moving to 2nd.

    Now the thing I don't understand completely is people bringing up being the best player a couple years ago to assess value. I think he is more valuable on the team as I have said, and I can't get on board with packaging him to move up in 1st 3 rounds, as I don't see that value as I have said, but being the top playmaker on a bad team doesn't mean he had great value. What that says is that the team had bad talent. That doesn't mean he couldn't be a great talent, but using his as the "best" adds no value. The best player on a bad team doesn't mean that player would be good on another 

    I was just talking about Duke as a sweetener.  If such a move required something else, so be it.

  • Ballpeen, you are contradicting yourself here.

    If you think his value is swap of 7th round picks, or even by himself worth a 5th, 6th, 7th, then packaging him with a 3rd is not even close to moving to 2nd.

    Now the thing I don't understand completely is people bringing up being the best player a couple years ago to assess value. I think he is more valuable on the team as I have said, and I can't get on board with packaging him to move up in 1st 3 rounds, as I don't see that value as I have said, but being the top playmaker on a bad team doesn't mean he had great value. What that says is that the team had bad talent. That doesn't mean he couldn't be a great talent, but using his as the "best" adds no value. The best player on a bad team doesn't mean that player would be good on another 

    T TexasAg1969 wrote on last edited by
    #48

    @gunz41 said:

    Ballpeen, you are contradicting yourself here.

    If you think his value is swap of 7th round picks, or even by himself worth a 5th, 6th, 7th, then packaging him with a 3rd is not even close to moving to 2nd.

    Now the thing I don't understand completely is people bringing up being the best player a couple years ago to assess value. I think he is more valuable on the team as I have said, and I can't get on board with packaging him to move up in 1st 3 rounds, as I don't see that value as I have said, but being the top playmaker on a bad team doesn't mean he had great value. What that says is that the team had bad talent. That doesn't mean he couldn't be a great talent, but using his as the "best" adds no value. The best player on a bad team doesn't mean that player would be good on another 

    I was already about to say the addition of Chubb & Baker made him less needed as a 3rd down back. Having said that I would give serious consideration to converting him to the slot. He's got what it takes to be a good one if he accepts the role.

  • @orion said:

      -  There will be NO TRADING UP INTO ROUND ONE  -

    I just OK'ed the switch of band rehearsal from Wednesday night to Thursday night!

    @gumby73 said:

    I've been rehearsing getting rid of those 6th & 7th round picks all week..My wife's birthday tickets to me, says Jimmy Buffett hits the Nashville stage at 8 pm Saturday night..Let's wrap this thing up by 6Pm Dorsey.. Come Monday..i might be alright😉 

    Haven't you guys heard of the wonders  of DVR?  I'll probably start watching the first round sometime around 9:30, just to rip through all the commercials and other BS.  

    Gums, unless you're a total draft nerd, guys we take in the 6\7th round are going to be players you never heard of. Unless you really want to see who's going to take Mr. Irrelevant around 6PM Saturday, I'd say Buffett will be far more entertaining. 

    OrionO Orion wrote on last edited by
    #49

    @hoorta said:

    Haven't you guys heard of the wonders  of DVR? 

    I do not own a DVR.   I have a DVD player/recorder but trying to figure out how to record something is a nightmare.

  • @texasag1969 said:

    10 potential picks @ # 49

    https://www.wkyc.com/article/sports/nfl/browns/10-players-the-cleveland-browns-could-select-with-pick-no-49-in-the-2019-nfl-draft/95-f431955d-d8e0-43cf-a5eb-474719c93efd

    LOL Ag, you may be an A&M homer, but I'm definitely a (note the bold) Benedictine homer. Yeah, my HS Alma Mater, and unless things have seriously changed around there, Layne is a high quality individual.   

    Enter Benedictine product Justin Layne, who is coming off a productive junior season at Michigan State in which he tallied 72 tackles, 2.5 of which came for a loss, 15 passes defended and 1 interception. At 6-foot-2 and 192 pounds, the second-team All-Big Ten selection is a bit rangier than Ward and could provide the Browns with more flexibility when it comes to defending opposing receivers.

    BTW, third round pick from last year Jerome Baker went to the same HS by way of Ohio State. 

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #50

    @hoorta said:

    LOL Ag, you may be an A&M homer, but I'm definitely a (note the bold) Benedictine homer. Yeah, my HS Alma Mater, and unless things have seriously changed around there, Layne is a high quality individual.   

    Enter Benedictine product Justin Layne, who is coming off a productive junior season at Michigan State in which he tallied 72 tackles, 2.5 of which came for a loss, 15 passes defended and 1 interception. At 6-foot-2 and 192 pounds, the second-team All-Big Ten selection is a bit rangier than Ward and could provide the Browns with more flexibility when it comes to defending opposing receivers.

    BTW, third round pick from last year Jerome Baker went to the same HS by way of Ohio State. 

    Yea...well....you went to the same high school as Chuck Noll......nuff said there.  (and I was born in the same town as Bo Schembechler....so nuff said there also)