Skip to content

Stay at #49 or trade down

The Browns Board
78 23 2.2k 1
  • OrionO Orion wrote on last edited by
    #37

      -  There will be NO TRADING UP INTO ROUND ONE  -

    I just OK'ed the switch of band rehearsal from Wednesday night to Thursday night!

  •   -  There will be NO TRADING UP INTO ROUND ONE  -

    I just OK'ed the switch of band rehearsal from Wednesday night to Thursday night!

    gumby73G gumby73 wrote on last edited by gumby73
    #38

    @orion said:

      -  There will be NO TRADING UP INTO ROUND ONE  -

    I just OK'ed the switch of band rehearsal from Wednesday night to Thursday night!

    I've been rehearsing getting rid of those 6th & 7th round picks all week..My wife's birthday tickets to me, says Jimmy Buffett hits the Nashville stage at 8 pm Saturday night..Let's wrap this thing up by 6Pm Dorsey.. Come Monday..i might be alright😉 

  • Gunz41G Gunz41 wrote on last edited by
    #39

    Ballpeen, you are contradicting yourself here.

    If you think his value is swap of 7th round picks, or even by himself worth a 5th, 6th, 7th, then packaging him with a 3rd is not even close to moving to 2nd.

    Now the thing I don't understand completely is people bringing up being the best player a couple years ago to assess value. I think he is more valuable on the team as I have said, and I can't get on board with packaging him to move up in 1st 3 rounds, as I don't see that value as I have said, but being the top playmaker on a bad team doesn't mean he had great value. What that says is that the team had bad talent. That doesn't mean he couldn't be a great talent, but using his as the "best" adds no value. The best player on a bad team doesn't mean that player would be good on another 

  • Stay at 49 or move up if the right player / value exists. This team is not in need of collecting lower round draft capitol with a trade down. 

    htownbrownH htownbrown wrote on last edited by
    #40

    @jcam222 said:

    Stay at 49 or move up if the right player / value exists. This team is not in need of collecting lower round draft capitol with a trade down. 

    https://www.google.com/amp/s/brownswire.usatoday.com/2019/03/20/cleveland-browns-2019-nfl-draft-prospect-grades/amp/

    Exactly.  The FO already hinted they had determined any players left around pick 17 had second round value.  Why would you trade back into the first if you think that?  Hard to imagine a top 15 pick to fall far enough to jump that high.  Moving up in the second seems far more likely, but what do I know?

  • T TexasAg1969 wrote on last edited by
    #41
  • Ballpeen, you are contradicting yourself here.

    If you think his value is swap of 7th round picks, or even by himself worth a 5th, 6th, 7th, then packaging him with a 3rd is not even close to moving to 2nd.

    Now the thing I don't understand completely is people bringing up being the best player a couple years ago to assess value. I think he is more valuable on the team as I have said, and I can't get on board with packaging him to move up in 1st 3 rounds, as I don't see that value as I have said, but being the top playmaker on a bad team doesn't mean he had great value. What that says is that the team had bad talent. That doesn't mean he couldn't be a great talent, but using his as the "best" adds no value. The best player on a bad team doesn't mean that player would be good on another 

    Canton MikeC Canton Mike wrote on last edited by
    #42

    @gunz41 said:

    Ballpeen, you are contradicting yourself here.

    If you think his value is swap of 7th round picks, or even by himself worth a 5th, 6th, 7th, then packaging him with a 3rd is not even close to moving to 2nd.

    Now the thing I don't understand completely is people bringing up being the best player a couple years ago to assess value. I think he is more valuable on the team as I have said, and I can't get on board with packaging him to move up in 1st 3 rounds, as I don't see that value as I have said, but being the top playmaker on a bad team doesn't mean he had great value. What that says is that the team had bad talent. That doesn't mean he couldn't be a great talent, but using his as the "best" adds no value. The best player on a bad team doesn't mean that player would be good on another 

    I bolded the statements that, to me, say it all. I don't think Duke is/was as good as some think. I think he's an average back & the alleged picks suggested in trade pretty much verify that.

    Mike

  • @jcam222 said:

    Stay at 49 or move up if the right player / value exists. This team is not in need of collecting lower round draft capitol with a trade down. 

    https://www.google.com/amp/s/brownswire.usatoday.com/2019/03/20/cleveland-browns-2019-nfl-draft-prospect-grades/amp/

    Exactly.  The FO already hinted they had determined any players left around pick 17 had second round value.  Why would you trade back into the first if you think that?  Hard to imagine a top 15 pick to fall far enough to jump that high.  Moving up in the second seems far more likely, but what do I know?

    OrionO Orion wrote on last edited by
    #43

    @htownbrown said:

    The FO already hinted they had determined any players left around pick 17 had second round value.

    This is true.  But IS IT true?  Or was it pre-draft bullshit tossed out there by JD?  

  • htownbrownH htownbrown wrote on last edited by
    #44

    Idk, but most consider him a straight shooter.  If he moves back into the first, a top 15 player on his board has probably fallen to the late 20s.  Just doesn't seem likely to me.

  • hoortaH hoorta wrote on last edited by hoorta
    #45

    @texasag1969 said:

    10 potential picks @ # 49

    https://www.wkyc.com/article/sports/nfl/browns/10-players-the-cleveland-browns-could-select-with-pick-no-49-in-the-2019-nfl-draft/95-f431955d-d8e0-43cf-a5eb-474719c93efd

    LOL Ag, you may be an A&M homer, but I'm definitely a (note the bold) Benedictine homer. Yeah, my HS Alma Mater, and unless things have seriously changed around there, Layne is a high quality individual.   

    Enter Benedictine product Justin Layne, who is coming off a productive junior season at Michigan State in which he tallied 72 tackles, 2.5 of which came for a loss, 15 passes defended and 1 interception. At 6-foot-2 and 192 pounds, the second-team All-Big Ten selection is a bit rangier than Ward and could provide the Browns with more flexibility when it comes to defending opposing receivers.

    BTW, third round pick from last year Jerome Baker went to the same HS by way of Ohio State. 

  •   -  There will be NO TRADING UP INTO ROUND ONE  -

    I just OK'ed the switch of band rehearsal from Wednesday night to Thursday night!

    hoortaH hoorta wrote on last edited by
    #46

    @orion said:

      -  There will be NO TRADING UP INTO ROUND ONE  -

    I just OK'ed the switch of band rehearsal from Wednesday night to Thursday night!

    @gumby73 said:

    I've been rehearsing getting rid of those 6th & 7th round picks all week..My wife's birthday tickets to me, says Jimmy Buffett hits the Nashville stage at 8 pm Saturday night..Let's wrap this thing up by 6Pm Dorsey.. Come Monday..i might be alright😉 

    Haven't you guys heard of the wonders  of DVR?  I'll probably start watching the first round sometime around 9:30, just to rip through all the commercials and other BS.  

    Gums, unless you're a total draft nerd, guys we take in the 6\7th round are going to be players you never heard of. Unless you really want to see who's going to take Mr. Irrelevant around 6PM Saturday, I'd say Buffett will be far more entertaining. 

  • Ballpeen, you are contradicting yourself here.

    If you think his value is swap of 7th round picks, or even by himself worth a 5th, 6th, 7th, then packaging him with a 3rd is not even close to moving to 2nd.

    Now the thing I don't understand completely is people bringing up being the best player a couple years ago to assess value. I think he is more valuable on the team as I have said, and I can't get on board with packaging him to move up in 1st 3 rounds, as I don't see that value as I have said, but being the top playmaker on a bad team doesn't mean he had great value. What that says is that the team had bad talent. That doesn't mean he couldn't be a great talent, but using his as the "best" adds no value. The best player on a bad team doesn't mean that player would be good on another 

    ballpeenB ballpeen wrote on last edited by
    #47

    @gunz41 said:

    Ballpeen, you are contradicting yourself here.

    If you think his value is swap of 7th round picks, or even by himself worth a 5th, 6th, 7th, then packaging him with a 3rd is not even close to moving to 2nd.

    Now the thing I don't understand completely is people bringing up being the best player a couple years ago to assess value. I think he is more valuable on the team as I have said, and I can't get on board with packaging him to move up in 1st 3 rounds, as I don't see that value as I have said, but being the top playmaker on a bad team doesn't mean he had great value. What that says is that the team had bad talent. That doesn't mean he couldn't be a great talent, but using his as the "best" adds no value. The best player on a bad team doesn't mean that player would be good on another 

    I was just talking about Duke as a sweetener.  If such a move required something else, so be it.

  • Ballpeen, you are contradicting yourself here.

    If you think his value is swap of 7th round picks, or even by himself worth a 5th, 6th, 7th, then packaging him with a 3rd is not even close to moving to 2nd.

    Now the thing I don't understand completely is people bringing up being the best player a couple years ago to assess value. I think he is more valuable on the team as I have said, and I can't get on board with packaging him to move up in 1st 3 rounds, as I don't see that value as I have said, but being the top playmaker on a bad team doesn't mean he had great value. What that says is that the team had bad talent. That doesn't mean he couldn't be a great talent, but using his as the "best" adds no value. The best player on a bad team doesn't mean that player would be good on another 

    T TexasAg1969 wrote on last edited by
    #48

    @gunz41 said:

    Ballpeen, you are contradicting yourself here.

    If you think his value is swap of 7th round picks, or even by himself worth a 5th, 6th, 7th, then packaging him with a 3rd is not even close to moving to 2nd.

    Now the thing I don't understand completely is people bringing up being the best player a couple years ago to assess value. I think he is more valuable on the team as I have said, and I can't get on board with packaging him to move up in 1st 3 rounds, as I don't see that value as I have said, but being the top playmaker on a bad team doesn't mean he had great value. What that says is that the team had bad talent. That doesn't mean he couldn't be a great talent, but using his as the "best" adds no value. The best player on a bad team doesn't mean that player would be good on another 

    I was already about to say the addition of Chubb & Baker made him less needed as a 3rd down back. Having said that I would give serious consideration to converting him to the slot. He's got what it takes to be a good one if he accepts the role.

  • @orion said:

      -  There will be NO TRADING UP INTO ROUND ONE  -

    I just OK'ed the switch of band rehearsal from Wednesday night to Thursday night!

    @gumby73 said:

    I've been rehearsing getting rid of those 6th & 7th round picks all week..My wife's birthday tickets to me, says Jimmy Buffett hits the Nashville stage at 8 pm Saturday night..Let's wrap this thing up by 6Pm Dorsey.. Come Monday..i might be alright😉 

    Haven't you guys heard of the wonders  of DVR?  I'll probably start watching the first round sometime around 9:30, just to rip through all the commercials and other BS.  

    Gums, unless you're a total draft nerd, guys we take in the 6\7th round are going to be players you never heard of. Unless you really want to see who's going to take Mr. Irrelevant around 6PM Saturday, I'd say Buffett will be far more entertaining. 

    OrionO Orion wrote on last edited by
    #49

    @hoorta said:

    Haven't you guys heard of the wonders  of DVR? 

    I do not own a DVR.   I have a DVD player/recorder but trying to figure out how to record something is a nightmare.

  • @texasag1969 said:

    10 potential picks @ # 49

    https://www.wkyc.com/article/sports/nfl/browns/10-players-the-cleveland-browns-could-select-with-pick-no-49-in-the-2019-nfl-draft/95-f431955d-d8e0-43cf-a5eb-474719c93efd

    LOL Ag, you may be an A&M homer, but I'm definitely a (note the bold) Benedictine homer. Yeah, my HS Alma Mater, and unless things have seriously changed around there, Layne is a high quality individual.   

    Enter Benedictine product Justin Layne, who is coming off a productive junior season at Michigan State in which he tallied 72 tackles, 2.5 of which came for a loss, 15 passes defended and 1 interception. At 6-foot-2 and 192 pounds, the second-team All-Big Ten selection is a bit rangier than Ward and could provide the Browns with more flexibility when it comes to defending opposing receivers.

    BTW, third round pick from last year Jerome Baker went to the same HS by way of Ohio State. 

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #50

    @hoorta said:

    LOL Ag, you may be an A&M homer, but I'm definitely a (note the bold) Benedictine homer. Yeah, my HS Alma Mater, and unless things have seriously changed around there, Layne is a high quality individual.   

    Enter Benedictine product Justin Layne, who is coming off a productive junior season at Michigan State in which he tallied 72 tackles, 2.5 of which came for a loss, 15 passes defended and 1 interception. At 6-foot-2 and 192 pounds, the second-team All-Big Ten selection is a bit rangier than Ward and could provide the Browns with more flexibility when it comes to defending opposing receivers.

    BTW, third round pick from last year Jerome Baker went to the same HS by way of Ohio State. 

    Yea...well....you went to the same high school as Chuck Noll......nuff said there.  (and I was born in the same town as Bo Schembechler....so nuff said there also)

  • @gunz41 said:

    Ballpeen, you are contradicting yourself here.

    If you think his value is swap of 7th round picks, or even by himself worth a 5th, 6th, 7th, then packaging him with a 3rd is not even close to moving to 2nd.

    Now the thing I don't understand completely is people bringing up being the best player a couple years ago to assess value. I think he is more valuable on the team as I have said, and I can't get on board with packaging him to move up in 1st 3 rounds, as I don't see that value as I have said, but being the top playmaker on a bad team doesn't mean he had great value. What that says is that the team had bad talent. That doesn't mean he couldn't be a great talent, but using his as the "best" adds no value. The best player on a bad team doesn't mean that player would be good on another 

    I was just talking about Duke as a sweetener.  If such a move required something else, so be it.

    Gunz41G Gunz41 wrote on last edited by
    #51

    @ballpeen said:

    I was just talking about Duke as a sweetener.  If such a move required something else, so be it.

    I understood your point. But it makes no sense when combined with your other statement. How is a "dime a dozen, worth a 7th rounder" become a 3rd round pick sweetener to move to 2nd? 

    You don't have to assign someone a value to see how that makes no sense. Nobody would be good with trading a 2nd round pick for a 3rd and 7th. Let's just use an example here for context. Are you cool with the Browns trading pick 49 for pick 65 and 248 (Arizona 3rd and 7th)? Or let's use this, you good with pick 49 for pick 65 and 174 (the top picks in 3rd and 6th).

    People can have their own opinions on someone's value, and those can differ. If someone had the opinion that Duke had a 3rd round value, then they could make a case for a move up like that. But when you offer up an opinion that someone has very little value, you can't turn around and say he has good value to fit a narrative

  • chocoC choco wrote on last edited by
    #52

    That's wasn't how I read it.  All peen was saying, imo, that Duke can be extra fodder for a trade up, and as he later re-qualified, 'if it takes more, so be it'. That he did not offer a full eval of which additional picks he would offer doesn't mean only Duke was the additional compensation. Read the actual words, not what you think he typed.

  • @hoorta said:

    LOL Ag, you may be an A&M homer, but I'm definitely a (note the bold) Benedictine homer. Yeah, my HS Alma Mater, and unless things have seriously changed around there, Layne is a high quality individual.   

    Enter Benedictine product Justin Layne, who is coming off a productive junior season at Michigan State in which he tallied 72 tackles, 2.5 of which came for a loss, 15 passes defended and 1 interception. At 6-foot-2 and 192 pounds, the second-team All-Big Ten selection is a bit rangier than Ward and could provide the Browns with more flexibility when it comes to defending opposing receivers.

    BTW, third round pick from last year Jerome Baker went to the same HS by way of Ohio State. 

    Yea...well....you went to the same high school as Chuck Noll......nuff said there.  (and I was born in the same town as Bo Schembechler....so nuff said there also)

    hoortaH hoorta wrote on last edited by
    #53

    @the-gipper said:

    Yea...well....you went to the same high school as Chuck Noll......nuff said there.  (and I was born in the same town as Bo Schembechler....so nuff said there also)

    LOL, but did you go to the same high school as Bo is the question? Just being born in a town, in my case Cleveland- covers a lot of celebrities, sports and otherwise.  🙂  Chuck may be our most famous alum, but those who follow golf have heard of Tom Weiskopf. #2 famous alum. Tom drove the green and aced a par 4 when he was on the golf team.   

    The currently unemployed Najee Goode (formerly of the Eagles) is another of our guys that made it to the NFL.  

    PS, not only did I go to the same HS as Noll, I followed him down the road here to the University of Dayton. BTW, Jon Gruden is also a UD grad. 

  • @ballpeen said:

    I was just talking about Duke as a sweetener.  If such a move required something else, so be it.

    I understood your point. But it makes no sense when combined with your other statement. How is a "dime a dozen, worth a 7th rounder" become a 3rd round pick sweetener to move to 2nd? 

    You don't have to assign someone a value to see how that makes no sense. Nobody would be good with trading a 2nd round pick for a 3rd and 7th. Let's just use an example here for context. Are you cool with the Browns trading pick 49 for pick 65 and 248 (Arizona 3rd and 7th)? Or let's use this, you good with pick 49 for pick 65 and 174 (the top picks in 3rd and 6th).

    People can have their own opinions on someone's value, and those can differ. If someone had the opinion that Duke had a 3rd round value, then they could make a case for a move up like that. But when you offer up an opinion that someone has very little value, you can't turn around and say he has good value to fit a narrative

    ballpeenB ballpeen wrote on last edited by
    #54

    @gunz41 said:

    I understood your point. But it makes no sense when combined with your other statement. How is a "dime a dozen, worth a 7th rounder" become a 3rd round pick sweetener to move to 2nd? 

    You don't have to assign someone a value to see how that makes no sense. Nobody would be good with trading a 2nd round pick for a 3rd and 7th. Let's just use an example here for context. Are you cool with the Browns trading pick 49 for pick 65 and 248 (Arizona 3rd and 7th)? Or let's use this, you good with pick 49 for pick 65 and 174 (the top picks in 3rd and 6th).

    People can have their own opinions on someone's value, and those can differ. If someone had the opinion that Duke had a 3rd round value, then they could make a case for a move up like that. But when you offer up an opinion that someone has very little value, you can't turn around and say he has good value to fit a narrative

    No, you don't understand my point.  I said Duke could be the sweetener.  I don't sit around with a draft value chart when I type.  I never though that Duke and  a 3rd rounder would get us in to the 2nd round.  I said Duke could sweeten the deal...I assumed most would understand it would probably take another pick, especially since I said he is a dime a dozen player..

    I also wasn't the one who said he was worth a 7th round flip.  I think he has more value than that, especially as the guy to tip the scale in our favor towards a trade.  Read the words man.

    Look, I like Duke and wanted to keep him until he started asking for a trade.....and really, I still like him.  To me he like a Theo Reddick....a decent player, but not somebody you can't easily replace.

  • @gunz41 said:

    I understood your point. But it makes no sense when combined with your other statement. How is a "dime a dozen, worth a 7th rounder" become a 3rd round pick sweetener to move to 2nd? 

    You don't have to assign someone a value to see how that makes no sense. Nobody would be good with trading a 2nd round pick for a 3rd and 7th. Let's just use an example here for context. Are you cool with the Browns trading pick 49 for pick 65 and 248 (Arizona 3rd and 7th)? Or let's use this, you good with pick 49 for pick 65 and 174 (the top picks in 3rd and 6th).

    People can have their own opinions on someone's value, and those can differ. If someone had the opinion that Duke had a 3rd round value, then they could make a case for a move up like that. But when you offer up an opinion that someone has very little value, you can't turn around and say he has good value to fit a narrative

    No, you don't understand my point.  I said Duke could be the sweetener.  I don't sit around with a draft value chart when I type.  I never though that Duke and  a 3rd rounder would get us in to the 2nd round.  I said Duke could sweeten the deal...I assumed most would understand it would probably take another pick, especially since I said he is a dime a dozen player..

    I also wasn't the one who said he was worth a 7th round flip.  I think he has more value than that, especially as the guy to tip the scale in our favor towards a trade.  Read the words man.

    Look, I like Duke and wanted to keep him until he started asking for a trade.....and really, I still like him.  To me he like a Theo Reddick....a decent player, but not somebody you can't easily replace.

    Gunz41G Gunz41 wrote on last edited by
    #55

    @ballpeen said:

    No, you don't understand my point.  I said Duke could be the sweetener.  I don't sit around with a draft value chart when I type.  I never though that Duke and  a 3rd rounder would get us in to the 2nd round.  I said Duke could sweeten the deal...I assumed most would understand it would probably take another pick, especially since I said he is a dime a dozen player..

    I also wasn't the one who said he was worth a 7th round flip.  I think he has more value than that, especially as the guy to tip the scale in our favor towards a trade.  Read the words man.

    Look, I like Duke and wanted to keep him until he started asking for a trade.....and really, I still like him.  To me he like a Theo Reddick....a decent player, but not somebody you can't easily replace.

    Well that isn't how it reads. You said "maybe package our 3rd and Duke to get back into Round 2"

    And you may not have been the one to say swap 7th, but you said that says it right.

    I don't know what your point is about the value chart, but if you were referring to me using those Cardinals picks, you don't need a chart in front of you. I didn't have one. Its simple, would YOU be happy if the Browns traded the 47th pick for a 3rd and 6th or 7th? Duke has no value on a chart, as that value is what someone is willing to give up 

  • ballpeenB ballpeen wrote on last edited by
    #56

     Buzz off kid, and at my age most everybody is a kid so don't take that as a big insult.  I was a teenager in 1964 , just driving a car when we last won a championship.  If you are a contemporary , I'll call you Gramps rather than kid.   I can't help it you don't get it.    In your example, I might, it just  depends on if the sweetener was something I needed.  I think Dukes value is in a package deal.