Skip to content
The Browns Board
Theme
  • System
  • Light
  • Dark
  • Login
  • Register
  • Forums
  • Recent
  • Popular
  • Users
  • Donate
  1. Home
  2. Political Discussion
  3. Franken

Franken

Scheduled Pinned Locked Moved Political Discussion
63 Posts 10 Posters 3.6k Views
  • Oldest to Newest
  • Newest to Oldest
  • Most Votes
Reply
  • Reply as topic
Log in to reply
This topic has been deleted. Only users with topic management privileges can see it.
  • ballpeen ballpeenB Conversation Starter Dedicated Reacting Well Very Popular Posting Machine Collaborator First Post One Year In One Month Later Week One Done
    • 9k Posts
    • 2k Reputation
    ballpeenB ballpeen wrote on last edited by
    #1
    http://online.wsj.com/article/SB124640687950076679.html

    The 'Absentee' Senator

    Franken wins by changing the rules.

    The Minnesota Supreme Court yesterday declared Democrat Al Franken the winner of last year's disputed Senate race, and Republican incumbent Norm Coleman's gracious concession at least spares the state any further legal combat. The unfortunate lesson is that you don't need to win the vote on Election Day as long as your lawyers are creative enough to have enough new or disqualified ballots counted after the fact.

    Mr. Franken trailed Mr. Coleman by 725 votes after the initial count on election night, and 215 after the first canvass. The Democrat's strategy from the start was to manipulate the recount in a way that would discover votes that could add to his total. The Franken legal team swarmed the recount, aggressively demanding that votes that had been disqualified be added to his count, while others be denied for Mr. Coleman.

    But the team's real goldmine were absentee ballots, thousands of which the Franken team claimed had been mistakenly rejected. While Mr. Coleman's lawyers demanded a uniform standard for how counties should re-evaluate these rejected ballots, the Franken team ginned up an additional 1,350 absentees from Franken-leaning counties. By the time this treasure hunt ended, Mr. Franken was 312 votes up, and Mr. Coleman was left to file legal briefs.

    What Mr. Franken understood was that courts would later be loathe to overrule decisions made by the canvassing board, however arbitrary those decisions were. He was right. The three-judge panel overseeing the Coleman legal challenge, and the Supreme Court that reviewed the panel's findings, in essence found that Mr. Coleman hadn't demonstrated a willful or malicious attempt on behalf of officials to deny him the election. And so they refused to reopen what had become a forbidding tangle of irregularities. Mr. Coleman didn't lose the election. He lost the fight to stop the state canvassing board from changing the vote-counting rules after the fact.

    This is now the second time Republicans have been beaten in this kind of legal street fight. In 2004, Dino Rossi was ahead in the election-night count for Washington Governor against Democrat Christine Gregoire. Ms. Gregoire's team demanded the right to rifle through a list of provisional votes that hadn't been counted, setting off a hunt for "new" Gregoire votes. By the third recount, she'd discovered enough to win. This was the model for the Franken team.

    Mr. Franken now goes to the Senate having effectively stolen an election. If the GOP hopes to avoid repeats, it should learn from Minnesota that modern elections don't end when voters cast their ballots. They only end after the lawyers count them.

    If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.
    1 Reply Last reply
    Quote Reply
    • Chicopee John C
      • 2k Posts
      • 104 Reputation
      C Chicopee John wrote on last edited by Chicopee John
      #2

      No surprise here. Both Party's cheat and bend whatever they can bend for their benefit.

      This was an interesting piece from a mainstream media. However, it will never appear on National TV or 60 Minutes.

      "God is great. Beer is good. People are crazy."
      ballpeenB ? 2 Replies Last reply
      Quote Reply
      • C Chicopee John

        No surprise here. Both Party's cheat and bend whatever they can bend for their benefit.

        This was an interesting piece from a mainstream media. However, it will never appear on National TV or 60 Minutes.

        ballpeen ballpeenB Conversation Starter Dedicated Reacting Well Very Popular Posting Machine Collaborator First Post One Year In One Month Later Week One Done
        • 9k Posts
        • 2k Reputation
        ballpeenB ballpeen wrote on last edited by
        #3

        @chicopee-john said:

        No surprise here. Both Party's cheat and bend whatever they can bend for their benefit.

        This was an interesting piece from a mainstream media. However, it will never appear on National TV or 60 Minutes.

        No doubt...but those haven't been legit for many years.

        The WSJ is the last great newspaper in this country and the PBS New Hour is the last legit news broadcast.

        If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.
        1 Reply Last reply
        Quote Reply
        • Mr. T Mr. TM
          • 7k Posts
          • 184 Reputation
          Mr. TM Mr. T wrote on last edited by
          #4

          And who said cheaters never win?

          And all of this is at the expense of the taxpayer.

          Head or Gut?
          1 Reply Last reply
          Quote Reply
          • osusev O
            • 1k Posts
            • 4 Reputation
            O osusev wrote on last edited by
            #5

            O come on now.... Bush vs Gore..... YOU KNOW Gore should have won Florida. Both parties play hardball... sometimes your side is the loser, other times its the winner.

            This was for a senatorial position, I think the republicans are still up considering they got 6 years of controlling congress and the white house out of the deal.

            Redistricting Texas....... the republicans took control..... It happens.

            W 1 Reply Last reply
            Quote Reply
            • DieHardBrownsFan DieHardBrownsFanD Conversation Starter Dedicated Reacting Well Very Popular Collaborator Posting Machine First Post One Month Later Week One Done One Year In
              • 28k Posts
              • 6k Reputation
              DieHardBrownsFanD DieHardBrownsFan wrote on last edited by
              #6

              Franken is an embarassment. He is far worse then GWB. At least he was a real Governor. Franken is a friking clown. This is the future of the democraps? ROFLMFAO! Dems dead in 2012. Mark it down.

              "You planning on having a long relationship with that glass or are you going to drink it? Drink up, man. Maybe we can get another.” - Janis Joplin, 1970.
              C 1 Reply Last reply
              Quote Reply
              • osusev O
                • 1k Posts
                • 4 Reputation
                O osusev wrote on last edited by
                #7

                Diehard I will mark that down with your other prognostication of Mccain Winning POTUS in 2008 lol

                1 Reply Last reply
                Quote Reply
                • O osusev

                  O come on now.... Bush vs Gore..... YOU KNOW Gore should have won Florida. Both parties play hardball... sometimes your side is the loser, other times its the winner.

                  This was for a senatorial position, I think the republicans are still up considering they got 6 years of controlling congress and the white house out of the deal.

                  Redistricting Texas....... the republicans took control..... It happens.

                  Westside Steve W Dedicated Reacting Well Posting Machine Collaborator First Post Conversation Starter Week One Done One Year In One Month Later Very Popular
                  • 39k Posts
                  • 9k Reputation
                  W Westside Steve wrote on last edited by
                  #8

                  @osusev said:

                  O come on now.... Bush vs Gore..... YOU KNOW Gore should have won Florida.

                  What in the world would prompt a stupid statement like that one?

                  WSS

                  www.westsidesteve.com www.myspace.com/westsidestevemusic www.cdbaby.com/artist/westsidestevesimmons
                  1 Reply Last reply
                  Quote Reply
                  • calfoxwc C Dedicated Very Popular Conversation Starter Collaborator First Post Posting Machine Reacting Well Week One Done One Year In One Month Later
                    • 64k Posts
                    • 8k Reputation
                    C calfoxwc wrote on last edited by
                    #9

                    O come on now.... Bush vs Gore..... YOU KNOW Gore should have won Florida...

                    Ridiculous Sev. Gore tried what Franken got away with. Gore just didn't succeed in stealing the election.

                    Bush won every time.

                    This time, Franken lost, and ended up winning.

                    Comparing the two is not making your point.

                    1 Reply Last reply
                    Quote Reply
                    • osusev O
                      • 1k Posts
                      • 4 Reputation
                      O osusev wrote on last edited by
                      #10

                      What is exactly "stupid" steve Wait you mean the comparison to disputed ballots/recounts/court challenges that eventually led to a supreme court hearing and ruling? O wait yes both cases had the EXACT same similarities....

                      Or you mean the the fact that Bush's Brother and Ms. I want to be a republican ambassador was in control of the recount/voting situation in Florida?

                      Maybe you missed the "sarcasm" in the statements about "knowing" one way or the other in either case who really won....

                      This is not about one party vs another more about the corruption of either party and how the voting system can be flawed to either parties advantage.

                      Whining and crying that Franken stole the election is about as silly as Whining and Crying that Bush Jr. stole the election.... Neither election was so dominant that either could claim victory so in a close situation I am just glad we have some sort of process that does not lead to violence/military action IE Honduras....

                      Mr. TM W 2 Replies Last reply
                      Quote Reply
                      • O osusev

                        What is exactly "stupid" steve Wait you mean the comparison to disputed ballots/recounts/court challenges that eventually led to a supreme court hearing and ruling? O wait yes both cases had the EXACT same similarities....

                        Or you mean the the fact that Bush's Brother and Ms. I want to be a republican ambassador was in control of the recount/voting situation in Florida?

                        Maybe you missed the "sarcasm" in the statements about "knowing" one way or the other in either case who really won....

                        This is not about one party vs another more about the corruption of either party and how the voting system can be flawed to either parties advantage.

                        Whining and crying that Franken stole the election is about as silly as Whining and Crying that Bush Jr. stole the election.... Neither election was so dominant that either could claim victory so in a close situation I am just glad we have some sort of process that does not lead to violence/military action IE Honduras....

                        Mr. T Mr. TM
                        • 7k Posts
                        • 184 Reputation
                        Mr. TM Mr. T wrote on last edited by
                        #11

                        @osusev said:

                        Neither election was so dominant that either could claim victory so in a close situation I am just glad we have some sort of process that does not lead to violence/military action IE Honduras....

                        Wait 3 years when obama gets voted out.

                        i can see it now, Rodney King riots every major city 😆

                        Head or Gut?
                        1 Reply Last reply
                        Quote Reply
                        • calfoxwc C Dedicated Very Popular Conversation Starter Collaborator First Post Posting Machine Reacting Well Week One Done One Year In One Month Later
                          • 64k Posts
                          • 8k Reputation
                          C calfoxwc wrote on last edited by
                          #12

                          Neither election was so dominant that either could claim victory so in a close situation I am just glad we have some sort of process that does not lead to violence/military action IE Honduras....

                          **************************************************

                          Obama may be a Honduras leftist pres who may have to be forcibly removed after cancelling our Constitution altogether.

                          That's how little I think of him as a human being.

                          He isn't even an American in his outlook, he's a leader of the world's leftists in our country.

                          He sucks.

                          1 Reply Last reply
                          Quote Reply
                          • C Chicopee John

                            No surprise here. Both Party's cheat and bend whatever they can bend for their benefit.

                            This was an interesting piece from a mainstream media. However, it will never appear on National TV or 60 Minutes.

                            Aloysius ?
                            • Posts
                            • 0 Reputation
                            ? Aloysius wrote on last edited by
                            #13

                            @chicopee-john said:

                            This was an interesting piece from a mainstream media. However, it will never appear on National TV or 60 Minutes.

                            It's from the WSJ editorial page, not the actual reporting side of the paper. There's a big difference.

                            1 Reply Last reply
                            Quote Reply
                            • DieHardBrownsFanD DieHardBrownsFan

                              Franken is an embarassment. He is far worse then GWB. At least he was a real Governor. Franken is a friking clown. This is the future of the democraps? ROFLMFAO! Dems dead in 2012. Mark it down.

                              Chicopee John C
                              • 2k Posts
                              • 104 Reputation
                              C Chicopee John wrote on last edited by
                              #14

                              @diehardbrownsfan said:

                              Franken is an embarassment. He is far worse then GWB. At least he was a real Governor. Franken is a friking clown. This is the future of the democraps? ROFLMFAO! Dems dead in 2012. Mark it down.

                              I wouldn't read too much into this, DieHard.

                              Remember that MN also elected Jesse Ventura as governor.

                              It is an 'odd' state and nobody believes that Franken is the future of anything.

                              It is what it is.

                              "God is great. Beer is good. People are crazy."
                              1 Reply Last reply
                              Quote Reply
                              • O osusev

                                What is exactly "stupid" steve Wait you mean the comparison to disputed ballots/recounts/court challenges that eventually led to a supreme court hearing and ruling? O wait yes both cases had the EXACT same similarities....

                                Or you mean the the fact that Bush's Brother and Ms. I want to be a republican ambassador was in control of the recount/voting situation in Florida?

                                Maybe you missed the "sarcasm" in the statements about "knowing" one way or the other in either case who really won....

                                This is not about one party vs another more about the corruption of either party and how the voting system can be flawed to either parties advantage.

                                Whining and crying that Franken stole the election is about as silly as Whining and Crying that Bush Jr. stole the election.... Neither election was so dominant that either could claim victory so in a close situation I am just glad we have some sort of process that does not lead to violence/military action IE Honduras....

                                Westside Steve W Dedicated Reacting Well Posting Machine Collaborator First Post Conversation Starter Week One Done One Year In One Month Later Very Popular
                                • 39k Posts
                                • 9k Reputation
                                W Westside Steve wrote on last edited by
                                #15

                                @osusev said:

                                What is exactly "stupid" steve Wait you mean the comparison to disputed ballots/recounts/court challenges that eventually led to a supreme court hearing and ruling? O wait yes both cases had the EXACT same similarities....

                                Or you mean the the fact that Bush's Brother and Ms. I want to be a republican ambassador was in control of the recount/voting situation in Florida?

                                Maybe you missed the "sarcasm" in the statements about "knowing" one way or the other in either case who really won....

                                This is not about one party vs another more about the corruption of either party and how the voting system can be flawed to either parties advantage.

                                Whining and crying that Franken stole the election is about as silly as Whining and Crying that Bush Jr. stole the election....

                                Which you guys have been doing for 9 years without any evidence.

                                Neither election was so dominant that either could claim victory so in a close situation I am just glad we have some sort of process that does not lead to violence/military action IE Honduras....

                                What is stupid is that I have no doubt Bush won Florida.

                                What evidence do you have otherwise?

                                None.

                                With the exception of a few most of the elections boards were Dems.

                                So if they are in charge of tossing a vote here and there sooner or later the count changes.

                                I assume Coleman won Minn and after months of dirty work voila.

                                I also asume the Dems in Florida were going to apply the same crooked count and after time a lotta votes would be miraculously found OR disappeared.

                                SC just said enough is enough.

                                But hey you have 60 Sev.

                                Time to fire up the excuse machine in earnest.

                                WSS

                                www.westsidesteve.com www.myspace.com/westsidestevemusic www.cdbaby.com/artist/westsidestevesimmons
                                1 Reply Last reply
                                Quote Reply
                                • osusev O
                                  • 1k Posts
                                  • 4 Reputation
                                  O osusev wrote on last edited by
                                  #16

                                  I dont have squat Steve, you make an assumption of my party affiliation. I am a fiscal conservative first, social progressive second, military realist third.

                                  I technically fit more toward the old GOP than toward new Dem politics. I more align with Colin Powell overall than Obama.

                                  You dont have any evidence and neither do the dems that either party really won the florida election fairly. BOTH parties were up to shenanigans, one just happen to win out in a governor and secretary of state in influence.

                                  I dont think Franken taking the 60th seat is as important as most might think, two dem senators are ill and their are a host of conservative dems that side with corporate america easily.

                                  W 1 Reply Last reply
                                  Quote Reply
                                  • O osusev

                                    I dont have squat Steve, you make an assumption of my party affiliation. I am a fiscal conservative first, social progressive second, military realist third.

                                    I technically fit more toward the old GOP than toward new Dem politics. I more align with Colin Powell overall than Obama.

                                    You dont have any evidence and neither do the dems that either party really won the florida election fairly. BOTH parties were up to shenanigans, one just happen to win out in a governor and secretary of state in influence.

                                    I dont think Franken taking the 60th seat is as important as most might think, two dem senators are ill and their are a host of conservative dems that side with corporate america easily.

                                    Westside Steve W Dedicated Reacting Well Posting Machine Collaborator First Post Conversation Starter Week One Done One Year In One Month Later Very Popular
                                    • 39k Posts
                                    • 9k Reputation
                                    W Westside Steve wrote on last edited by
                                    #17

                                    @osusev said:

                                    I dont have squat Steve, you make an assumption of my party affiliation. I am a fiscal conservative first, social progressive second, military realist third.

                                    I make the assumption from your last years worth of posts. And the reality that you voted for the least fiscally conservative candidate in decades.

                                    I technically fit more toward the old GOP than toward new Dem politics. I more align with Colin Powell overall than Obama.

                                    Don't buy it. See above.

                                    You dont have any evidence and neither do the dems that either party really won the florida election fairly.

                                    Yes we do.

                                    Bush won and the dems griped.

                                    Pue and simple. What "dirty tricks" do you claim?

                                    Hell if you want to play word games you can't "prove" Obama won fairly.

                                    BOTH parties were up to shenanigans, one just happen to win out in a governor and secretary of state in influence.

                                    I dont think Franken taking the 60th seat is as important as most might think, two dem senators are ill and their are a host of conservative dems that side with corporate america easily.

                                    And we hate corporate America because...?

                                    WSS

                                    www.westsidesteve.com www.myspace.com/westsidestevemusic www.cdbaby.com/artist/westsidestevesimmons
                                    1 Reply Last reply
                                    Quote Reply
                                    • osusev O
                                      • 1k Posts
                                      • 4 Reputation
                                      O osusev wrote on last edited by
                                      #18

                                      you can buy whatever you want, I have and run multiple small/medium size business. Taxes affect me a TON

                                      I served active duty and truly understand how violent the world really is and the need for smart military presence.

                                      My problem is with Healthcare which for me is based on My morals and outlook on social standards, I happen to believe in balance in most aspects in life which also leads me to believe in being as envirementally balanced as I can be.

                                      I have children and dont believe I need to live in such a way that can hurt their future. Koreans by culture are VERY conservative fiscally and socially.

                                      I just happen to believe that it is my duty to contribute as much as i can to those who do not have as much. I believe I have a moral imperative to lead by example.

                                      I am not a "christian" by any measure but that does not mean I am not socially conservative, just because I dont believe in judging others and enforcing my beliefs on others again does not mean I am not socially conservative.

                                      My children at 10-11 still dont get to play ANY violent video games, they go with me to donate and give back to charity organizations. I have been called to task for being too strict on my children. They call EVERY stranger or non family Maam and Sir.

                                      I dont like this defecit spending at all and extremely worried about inflation, I also worry about the added debt load and how this will affect our currency/etc...

                                      I just dont see very many other options when we faced almost certain economic collapse when Obama was elected.

                                      My posts on Bush Jr. was driven because he was SO UNLIKE his father and quite frankly my belief that if you cant run a business you are NOT qualified to be POTUS. I did not like Clinton, I liked Perot and Bush SR..... I really respect Mccain but Palin was too much like Bush for me.

                                      You can try to pigeon hole me all you like.... good luck with that.

                                      I am going to refuse to open up the Bush vs Gore Florida debacle because quite frankly there is loads of arguments and facts on BOTH sides that BOTH were up to no good and trying to influence the situation one way or the other. I do believe that Gore would and should have won Florida but it does not matter anymore.

                                      Funny thing is that I HATE the welfare system as it is and think it needs to be massively adjusted to TEMPORARILY help, just like Unemployment which RUNS out.

                                      I hate Affirmative action..... for all kinds of reason. I think it cheapens Minorities and lessens accomplishments of others like me who WORK HARD and earn it scholastically and professionally. I think its reverse racism and waters down our education system.

                                      I dont like NEOCON's because I think their ideology is too mixed up with Religous mumbo jumbo and military interventionism to preempt POSSIBLE threats is quite frankly STUPID. That does not mean I am a liberal.

                                      I just happen to believe in a Secular government and I dont care what other people do or who they do it with... its not my job to judge them.

                                      So call me a "lib" or a "dem" or "left" leaning which is completely not true if you want because of my positions on specific platforms. Its not accurate but if it makes you feel like you analyzed my posts and now can discern my social/financial/political leanings go ahead.

                                      I suggest you stay in Music because your analytic skills need some work.

                                      Legacy FanL W 2 Replies Last reply
                                      Quote Reply
                                      • calfoxwc C Dedicated Very Popular Conversation Starter Collaborator First Post Posting Machine Reacting Well Week One Done One Year In One Month Later
                                        • 64k Posts
                                        • 8k Reputation
                                        C calfoxwc wrote on last edited by
                                        #19

                                        Perhaps, then, Sev, you might grow a little into yourself, and allow us to have different viewpoints on issues,

                                        and NOT PIGEONHOLE us as "neocons", too.

                                        But, with most liberals, what they believe in, is trying to coerce others into actually having to DO what THEY believe in.

                                        "Don't tread on me" gotta find myself some of those bumper stickers...

                                        ? 1 Reply Last reply
                                        Quote Reply
                                        • C calfoxwc

                                          Perhaps, then, Sev, you might grow a little into yourself, and allow us to have different viewpoints on issues,

                                          and NOT PIGEONHOLE us as "neocons", too.

                                          But, with most liberals, what they believe in, is trying to coerce others into actually having to DO what THEY believe in.

                                          "Don't tread on me" gotta find myself some of those bumper stickers...

                                          mz. ?
                                          • Posts
                                          • 0 Reputation
                                          ? mz. wrote on last edited by
                                          #20

                                          @calfoxwc said:

                                          "Don't tread on me" gotta find myself some of those bumper stickers...

                                          And in typical Neocon fashion, cal fails to see how he and his brethren "tread" all over anyone else who doesn't strictly adhere to the Bible.

                                          It's really beyond tiresome.

                                          W 1 Reply Last reply
                                          Quote Reply

                                          Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.

                                          Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.

                                          With your input, this post could be even better 💗

                                          Register Login
                                          Reply
                                          • Reply as topic
                                          Log in to reply
                                          • Oldest to Newest
                                          • Newest to Oldest
                                          • Most Votes


                                          Theme
                                          • System
                                          • Light
                                          • Dark
                                          The Browns Board Terms Privacy

                                          The Browns Board is an independent fan community. It is not affiliated with, endorsed by, or sponsored by the Cleveland Browns, Cleveland Cavaliers, Cleveland Guardians, the NFL, NBA, MLB, or any of their affiliates. Team names, logos, and other marks are the property of their respective owners.

                                          • First post
                                            Last post
                                          0
                                          • Forums
                                          • Recent
                                          • Popular
                                          • Users
                                          • Donate