Skip to content

Rumor Hunt was in a bar fight....

The Browns Board
86 23 2.2k 1
  • @the-gipper said:

    So maybe I was wrong is that make you happy now. Hell was still an Old Norse concept.   And Answer me this why I knew the Jews not believe in hell

    I won't disagree that hell could be a a Norse concept- I'm not great on Norse mythology, other than knowing a lot of their names. Odin, Thor et al.  and some of our days of the week come from them- Wednesday (Woden), Friday (Friga).  

    Our Jewish friends don't believe in hell as we understand it, more like our Purgatory. 🙂  Some of Jesus' contemporaries (The Sadducees)  didn't even believe in an afterlife. Our atheist pals over on the political forum had better hope they were right.  

    Dutch OvenD Dutch Oven wrote on last edited by
    #45

    @hoorta said:

    Our atheist pals over on the political forum had better hope they were right.  

    This atheist who avoids the wasteland of the political forum like the plague is smart enough not to extorted into believing in the imaginary mob boss in the sky. I'm Italian, I'm versed in the whole "protection" racket already. 

    And I don't believe there's any mention of Purgatory in the Old or New Testament. I always was under the impression that Purgatory was a Catholic invention to try and squeeze more money out of their flock by hinting that giving more money to them might persuade Jesus's dad into moving them from Purgatory to Heaven. 

    This is a strangely interesting conversation, by the way. Not Browns-related at all, but still interesting. Nothing wrong with that. 

  • @the-gipper said:

    So maybe I was wrong is that make you happy now. Hell was still an Old Norse concept.   And Answer me this why I knew the Jews not believe in hell

    I won't disagree that hell could be a a Norse concept- I'm not great on Norse mythology, other than knowing a lot of their names. Odin, Thor et al.  and some of our days of the week come from them- Wednesday (Woden), Friday (Friga).  

    Our Jewish friends don't believe in hell as we understand it, more like our Purgatory. 🙂  Some of Jesus' contemporaries (The Sadducees)  didn't even believe in an afterlife. Our atheist pals over on the political forum had better hope they were right.  

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #46

    @hoorta said:

    I won't disagree that hell could be a a Norse concept- I'm not great on Norse mythology, other than knowing a lot of their names. Odin, Thor et al.  and some of our days of the week come from them- Wednesday (Woden), Friday (Friga).  

    Our Jewish friends don't believe in hell as we understand it, more like our Purgatory. 🙂  Some of Jesus' contemporaries (The Sadducees)  didn't even believe in an afterlife. Our atheist pals over on the political forum had better hope they were right.  

    In Norse mythology, Hel, the location, shares a name with Hel, a being who rules over the location. In late Icelandic sources, varying descriptions of Hel are given and various figures are described as being buried with items that will facilitate their journey to Hel after their death. In the Poetic Edda, Brynhildr's trip to Hel after her death is described and Odin, while alive, also visits Hel upon his horse Sleipnir. In Snorri Sturluson's Prose Edda, Baldr goes to Hel on his death and subsequently Hermóðr uses Sleipnir to attempt to retrieve him.

    The Old Norse feminine proper noun Hel is identical to the name of the entity that presides over the realm, Old Norse Hel. The word has cognates in all branches of the Germanic languages, including Old English hell (and thus Modern English hell), Old Frisian helle, Old Saxon hellia, Old High German hella, and Gothic halja. All forms ultimately derive from the reconstructed Proto-Germanic feminine noun *xaljō ('concealed place, the underworld'). In turn, the Proto-Germanic form derives from the o-grade form of the Proto-Indo-European root *kel-, *kol-: 'to cover, conceal, save'.[1]

  • @hoorta said:

    Our atheist pals over on the political forum had better hope they were right.  

    This atheist who avoids the wasteland of the political forum like the plague is smart enough not to extorted into believing in the imaginary mob boss in the sky. I'm Italian, I'm versed in the whole "protection" racket already. 

    And I don't believe there's any mention of Purgatory in the Old or New Testament. I always was under the impression that Purgatory was a Catholic invention to try and squeeze more money out of their flock by hinting that giving more money to them might persuade Jesus's dad into moving them from Purgatory to Heaven. 

    This is a strangely interesting conversation, by the way. Not Browns-related at all, but still interesting. Nothing wrong with that. 

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #47

    @dutch-oven said:

    This atheist who avoids the wasteland of the political forum like the plague is smart enough not to extorted into believing in the imaginary mob boss in the sky. I'm Italian, I'm versed in the whole "protection" racket already. 

    And I don't believe there's any mention of Purgatory in the Old or New Testament. I always was under the impression that Purgatory was a Catholic invention to try and squeeze more money out of their flock by hinting that giving more money to them might persuade Jesus's dad into moving them from Purgatory to Heaven. 

    This is a strangely interesting conversation, by the way. Not Browns-related at all, but still interesting. Nothing wrong with that. 

    Well....we Browns fans have been in Hel/Hell for the last 20 years.   Or has that been purgatory? Perhaps we are now working our way out of Purgatory and into the Heaven of some winning/playoff seasons.

    So, there...I have connected it to the Browns.  How did that work?

  • KvoetheK Kvoethe wrote on last edited by
    #48

    Well...i didnt see that coming???

  • @jcam222 said:

    Pretty big fucking stretch from what I actually said. Spin what I say anyway you want but people with self admitted alcohol issues don’t belong in bars. 

    Don't even try to school me on Alcoholism.... I watched My father drink himself to death... Have a nice day...

    jcam222J jcam222 wrote on last edited by jcam222
    #49

    @nickers said:

    Don't even try to school me on Alcoholism.... I watched My father drink himself to death... Have a nice day...

    First sorry he drank himself to death. Secondly I’ve been sober now 30 years. One thing I know is that a bar at 3am is no place for me or people like me. 

  • @nickers said:

    Don't even try to school me on Alcoholism.... I watched My father drink himself to death... Have a nice day...

    First sorry he drank himself to death. Secondly I’ve been sober now 30 years. One thing I know is that a bar at 3am is no place for me or people like me. 

    Dutch OvenD Dutch Oven wrote on last edited by
    #50

    @jcam222 said:

    First sorry he drank himself to death. Secondly I’ve been sober now 30 years. One thing I know is that a bar at 3am is no place for me or people like me. 

    The funny thing about nickers is how testy he is about this situation (YOU DON'T KNOW THE ENTIRE STORY!) while you know if there's even a hint that OBJ is late returning a library book he'll be all over his ass... ?

  • @hoorta said:

    Our atheist pals over on the political forum had better hope they were right.  

    This atheist who avoids the wasteland of the political forum like the plague is smart enough not to extorted into believing in the imaginary mob boss in the sky. I'm Italian, I'm versed in the whole "protection" racket already. 

    And I don't believe there's any mention of Purgatory in the Old or New Testament. I always was under the impression that Purgatory was a Catholic invention to try and squeeze more money out of their flock by hinting that giving more money to them might persuade Jesus's dad into moving them from Purgatory to Heaven. 

    This is a strangely interesting conversation, by the way. Not Browns-related at all, but still interesting. Nothing wrong with that. 

    hoortaH hoorta wrote on last edited by
    #51

    @dutch-oven said:

    This atheist who avoids the wasteland of the political forum like the plague is smart enough not to extorted into believing in the imaginary mob boss in the sky. I'm Italian, I'm versed in the whole "protection" racket already. 

    And I don't believe there's any mention of Purgatory in the Old or New Testament. I always was under the impression that Purgatory was a Catholic invention to try and squeeze more money out of their flock by hinting that giving more money to them might persuade Jesus's dad into moving them from Purgatory to Heaven. 

    This is a strangely interesting conversation, by the way. Not Browns-related at all, but still interesting. Nothing wrong with that. 

    Fer sure, there's lots of things not biblical that some "Catholics" hold by tradition. As one of those- I have a hard time with this specific teaching- among others. Fish on Friday is OK during Lent- but cow\pig isn't. Fish\ lobster\shrimp\octopus\squid is every bit as much protein as land animals. Was that a dispensation for Italian fishermen to make a killing 40 days out of the year?  🙂 

    PS- that whole concept of Purgatory has to do with things called "private revelations" that you can believe- or not, if you want to. Some of them are pretty convincing if you're a believer of those special mystics. The "official" church has never AFAIK taken a stand if it really exists- or not.  

    I'm sure not going to draw a line with "official" Church teaching- and what that Holy Spirit- tells me as right- I suppose some hard cores would brand me as a heretic. There's still some "traditionalists"who think Vatican II  (which gave the green light to say the Mass in languages other than Latin) believe it's the sign of the end times. Never mind this little historical tidbit- way, way back- the Apostles didn't know much Latin- and the initial celebrations were in Aramaic or Greek, not Latin.  🙂  

  • @dutch-oven said:

    This atheist who avoids the wasteland of the political forum like the plague is smart enough not to extorted into believing in the imaginary mob boss in the sky. I'm Italian, I'm versed in the whole "protection" racket already. 

    And I don't believe there's any mention of Purgatory in the Old or New Testament. I always was under the impression that Purgatory was a Catholic invention to try and squeeze more money out of their flock by hinting that giving more money to them might persuade Jesus's dad into moving them from Purgatory to Heaven. 

    This is a strangely interesting conversation, by the way. Not Browns-related at all, but still interesting. Nothing wrong with that. 

    Fer sure, there's lots of things not biblical that some "Catholics" hold by tradition. As one of those- I have a hard time with this specific teaching- among others. Fish on Friday is OK during Lent- but cow\pig isn't. Fish\ lobster\shrimp\octopus\squid is every bit as much protein as land animals. Was that a dispensation for Italian fishermen to make a killing 40 days out of the year?  🙂 

    PS- that whole concept of Purgatory has to do with things called "private revelations" that you can believe- or not, if you want to. Some of them are pretty convincing if you're a believer of those special mystics. The "official" church has never AFAIK taken a stand if it really exists- or not.  

    I'm sure not going to draw a line with "official" Church teaching- and what that Holy Spirit- tells me as right- I suppose some hard cores would brand me as a heretic. There's still some "traditionalists"who think Vatican II  (which gave the green light to say the Mass in languages other than Latin) believe it's the sign of the end times. Never mind this little historical tidbit- way, way back- the Apostles didn't know much Latin- and the initial celebrations were in Aramaic or Greek, not Latin.  🙂  

    FlugelF Flugel wrote on last edited by
    #52

    @hoorta said:

    Fer sure, there's lots of things not biblical that some "Catholics" hold by tradition. As one of those- I have a hard time with this specific teaching- among others. Fish on Friday is OK during Lent- but cow\pig isn't. Fish\ lobster\shrimp\octopus\squid is every bit as much protein as land animals. Was that a dispensation for Italian fishermen to make a killing 40 days out of the year?  🙂 

    PS- that whole concept of Purgatory has to do with things called "private revelations" that you can believe- or not, if you want to. Some of them are pretty convincing if you're a believer of those special mystics. The "official" church has never AFAIK taken a stand if it really exists- or not.  

    I'm sure not going to draw a line with "official" Church teaching- and what that Holy Spirit- tells me as right- I suppose some hard cores would brand me as a heretic. There's still some "traditionalists"who think Vatican II  (which gave the green light to say the Mass in languages other than Latin) believe it's the sign of the end times. Never mind this little historical tidbit- way, way back- the Apostles didn't know much Latin- and the initial celebrations were in Aramaic or Greek, not Latin.  🙂  

    I showed up to a thread about Hunt and landed in a debate about Hell. 

    Here's my beef with the Catholic Church and their religious instructions I wasted way too many years participating in. What part of excommunicating a divorced couple and their young children from the church exemplifies  "don't judge others" and "forgiveness of sins"?    So, if a spouse is repeatedly unfaithful - the whole family pretty much gets thrown out of the church, judged and unforgiven.    That said, an allegedly celibate Priest going Sandusky on little boys hasn't been kicked out of the Catholic Church.   He just gets sent to another Catholic Church where he can rinse and repeat the unthinkable (quite often under the same roof where most of the sacraments take place). 

  • @hoorta said:

    Fer sure, there's lots of things not biblical that some "Catholics" hold by tradition. As one of those- I have a hard time with this specific teaching- among others. Fish on Friday is OK during Lent- but cow\pig isn't. Fish\ lobster\shrimp\octopus\squid is every bit as much protein as land animals. Was that a dispensation for Italian fishermen to make a killing 40 days out of the year?  🙂 

    PS- that whole concept of Purgatory has to do with things called "private revelations" that you can believe- or not, if you want to. Some of them are pretty convincing if you're a believer of those special mystics. The "official" church has never AFAIK taken a stand if it really exists- or not.  

    I'm sure not going to draw a line with "official" Church teaching- and what that Holy Spirit- tells me as right- I suppose some hard cores would brand me as a heretic. There's still some "traditionalists"who think Vatican II  (which gave the green light to say the Mass in languages other than Latin) believe it's the sign of the end times. Never mind this little historical tidbit- way, way back- the Apostles didn't know much Latin- and the initial celebrations were in Aramaic or Greek, not Latin.  🙂  

    I showed up to a thread about Hunt and landed in a debate about Hell. 

    Here's my beef with the Catholic Church and their religious instructions I wasted way too many years participating in. What part of excommunicating a divorced couple and their young children from the church exemplifies  "don't judge others" and "forgiveness of sins"?    So, if a spouse is repeatedly unfaithful - the whole family pretty much gets thrown out of the church, judged and unforgiven.    That said, an allegedly celibate Priest going Sandusky on little boys hasn't been kicked out of the Catholic Church.   He just gets sent to another Catholic Church where he can rinse and repeat the unthinkable (quite often under the same roof where most of the sacraments take place). 

    Dutch OvenD Dutch Oven wrote on last edited by
    #53

    @flugel said:

    I showed up to a thread about Hunt and landed in a debate about Hell. 

    Here's my beef with the Catholic Church and their religious instructions I wasted way too many years participating in. What part of excommunicating a divorced couple and their young children from the church exemplifies  "don't judge others" and "forgiveness of sins"?    So, if a spouse is repeatedly unfaithful - the whole family pretty much gets thrown out of the church, judged and unforgiven.    That said, an allegedly celibate Priest going Sandusky on little boys hasn't been kicked out of the Catholic Church.   He just gets sent to another Catholic Church where he can rinse and repeat the unthinkable (quite often under the same roof where most of the sacraments take place). 

    Did you ever see the film 'Spotlight' with Michael Keaton? 

    Fascinating movie on the Catholic Church in Boston and their coverup of pedophiles in their midst. 

  • NeroN Nero wrote on last edited by
    #54

    I'm thinking about joining the conversation... But I'm tired and I think it will request a lot of energy. Keep it guys, I'll have some popcorn.

    The Catholic Spaniard 😉

  • @hoorta said:

    Fer sure, there's lots of things not biblical that some "Catholics" hold by tradition. As one of those- I have a hard time with this specific teaching- among others. Fish on Friday is OK during Lent- but cow\pig isn't. Fish\ lobster\shrimp\octopus\squid is every bit as much protein as land animals. Was that a dispensation for Italian fishermen to make a killing 40 days out of the year?  🙂 

    PS- that whole concept of Purgatory has to do with things called "private revelations" that you can believe- or not, if you want to. Some of them are pretty convincing if you're a believer of those special mystics. The "official" church has never AFAIK taken a stand if it really exists- or not.  

    I'm sure not going to draw a line with "official" Church teaching- and what that Holy Spirit- tells me as right- I suppose some hard cores would brand me as a heretic. There's still some "traditionalists"who think Vatican II  (which gave the green light to say the Mass in languages other than Latin) believe it's the sign of the end times. Never mind this little historical tidbit- way, way back- the Apostles didn't know much Latin- and the initial celebrations were in Aramaic or Greek, not Latin.  🙂  

    I showed up to a thread about Hunt and landed in a debate about Hell. 

    Here's my beef with the Catholic Church and their religious instructions I wasted way too many years participating in. What part of excommunicating a divorced couple and their young children from the church exemplifies  "don't judge others" and "forgiveness of sins"?    So, if a spouse is repeatedly unfaithful - the whole family pretty much gets thrown out of the church, judged and unforgiven.    That said, an allegedly celibate Priest going Sandusky on little boys hasn't been kicked out of the Catholic Church.   He just gets sent to another Catholic Church where he can rinse and repeat the unthinkable (quite often under the same roof where most of the sacraments take place). 

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #55

    @flugel said:

    I showed up to a thread about Hunt and landed in a debate about Hell. 

    Here's my beef with the Catholic Church and their religious instructions I wasted way too many years participating in. What part of excommunicating a divorced couple and their young children from the church exemplifies  "don't judge others" and "forgiveness of sins"?    So, if a spouse is repeatedly unfaithful - the whole family pretty much gets thrown out of the church, judged and unforgiven.    That said, an allegedly celibate Priest going Sandusky on little boys hasn't been kicked out of the Catholic Church.   He just gets sent to another Catholic Church where he can rinse and repeat the unthinkable (quite often under the same roof where most of the sacraments take place). 

    I don't think the Catholic Church should come in for any worse criticism than any other Christian denomination.  They all have their idiotic traditions and rules and history.

  • C Clevfan4life wrote on last edited by
    #56

    what the fuvk is going on in here? i had to backpage just to.verify which forum i was in. Umm, this was about kareem hunt right?

  • what the fuvk is going on in here? i had to backpage just to.verify which forum i was in. Umm, this was about kareem hunt right?

    hoortaH hoorta wrote on last edited by
    #57

    @clevfan4life said:

    what the fuvk is going on in here? i had to backpage just to.verify which forum i was in. Umm, this was about kareem hunt right?

    Sorry we got way off topic Clevefan.  But not much is happening on the football front till the end of the month.  

    @flugel said:

    I showed up to a thread about Hunt and landed in a debate about Hell. 

    Here's my beef with the Catholic Church and their religious instructions I wasted way too many years participating in. What part of excommunicating a divorced couple and their young children from the church exemplifies  "don't judge others" and "forgiveness of sins"?    So, if a spouse is repeatedly unfaithful - the whole family pretty much gets thrown out of the church, judged and unforgiven.    That said, an allegedly celibate Priest going Sandusky on little boys hasn't been kicked out of the Catholic Church.   He just gets sent to another Catholic Church where he can rinse and repeat the unthinkable (quite often under the same roof where most of the sacraments take place). 

    Since I\we are getting comments to keep religion out of it, I'll just sign off that I understand where you're coming from. I'll send you a PM.  

  • what the fuvk is going on in here? i had to backpage just to.verify which forum i was in. Umm, this was about kareem hunt right?

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #58

    @clevfan4life said:

    what the fuvk is going on in here? i had to backpage just to.verify which forum i was in. Umm, this was about kareem hunt right?

    Since you think it is torture, that confirms that you are a sinner...and that you have landed in the right place!

  • Of course everyone get the pitchforks.. because all of the evidence has not been accrued so to speak.. But I guess you all deem him guilty and want to run him out of town..  Lets gather the facts before we sentence him Kay?

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #59

    @nickers said:

    Of course everyone get the pitchforks.. because all of the evidence has not been accrued so to speak.. But I guess you all deem him guilty and want to run him out of town..  Lets gather the facts before we sentence him Kay?

    See.....Nickers started it all with this reference to pitchforks!!!😆

  • @clevfan4life said:

    what the fuvk is going on in here? i had to backpage just to.verify which forum i was in. Umm, this was about kareem hunt right?

    Since you think it is torture, that confirms that you are a sinner...and that you have landed in the right place!

    C Clevfan4life wrote on last edited by
    #60

    @the-gipper said:

    Since you think it is torture, that confirms that you are a sinner...and that you have landed in the right place!

    if-jealousy-is-envy-and-envy-is-a-sin-an

  • I'm thinking about joining the conversation... But I'm tired and I think it will request a lot of energy. Keep it guys, I'll have some popcorn.

    The Catholic Spaniard 😉

    OrionO Orion wrote on last edited by
    #61

    @nero said:

    The Catholic Spaniard 😉

  • jcam222J jcam222 wrote on last edited by
    #62

    This thread is definite proof that we need football to start VERY soon LOL 

  • @the-gipper said:

    Since you think it is torture, that confirms that you are a sinner...and that you have landed in the right place!

    if-jealousy-is-envy-and-envy-is-a-sin-an

    Dutch OvenD Dutch Oven wrote on last edited by
    #63

    @clevfan4life said:

    if-jealousy-is-envy-and-envy-is-a-sin-an

    If Jesus suffered from low self-esteem and didn't believe in himself, would he be committing blasphemy? 

  • @the-gipper said:

    Since you think it is torture, that confirms that you are a sinner...and that you have landed in the right place!

    if-jealousy-is-envy-and-envy-is-a-sin-an

    hoortaH hoorta wrote on last edited by hoorta
    #64

    @clevfan4life said:

    if-jealousy-is-envy-and-envy-is-a-sin-an

    And if you're an atheist- why should it matter- he doesn't exist in your mind after all   🙂

    Jealousy does not necessarily = envy.