Skip to content

Duke Dumps his Agent

The Browns Board
74 17 1.9k 1
  • Folks, come on man..When your peers vote you has the 33rd top player in league..as a newbie..Who can argue?

    1.Can the guy catch? sure he can.. Several things on the field jump out over Duke's skill set.. 2.Hunt blocks angry. run or pass block. 3. Hunt's huge advantage imo over Duke is a)Vision with juke speed, not slowing down. b) Hunt coils his body before impact & can take hits. Duke tends to leave his feet, causing weird collisions..4) The biggest factor is Can Dorsey still trust Hunt, off the field? On the field, it's a absolute steal for the price we paid at our own risk..Look who we play after week 8..Hunt will play a huge part on clinching any hopes..     

    @gumby73 said:

    Folks, come on man..When your peers vote you has the 33rd top player in league..as a newbie..Who can argue?

    1.Can the guy catch? sure he can.. Several things on the field jump out over Duke's skill set.. 2.Hunt blocks angry. run or pass block. 3. Hunt's huge advantage imo over Duke is a)Vision with juke speed, not slowing down. b) Hunt coils his body before impact & can take hits. Duke tends to leave his feet, causing weird collisions..4) The biggest factor is Can Dorsey still trust Hunt, off the field? On the field, it's a absolute steal for the price we paid at our own risk..Look who we play after week 8..Hunt will play a huge part on clinching any hopes..     

    Again...different skills.  As I said, more comparable to Chubb.

    What we could have...if we are lucky,  as I said elsewhere,  is a redux of Mack/Byner/Fontenot...    Here are the stats from that year:

    34 Kevin Mack 24 FB 12 12 174 665 10 20 3.8 55.4 14.5 28 292 10.4 0 44 2.3 24.3 0.0%   202 4.7 957 10 6
    33 Curtis Dickey 30 RB 14 10 135 523 6 47 3.9 37.4 9.6 10 78 7.8 0 12 0.7 5.6 0.0%   145 4.1 601 6 4
    44 Earnest Byner 24 rb 7 7 94 277 2 37 2.9 39.6 13.4 37 328 8.9 2 40 5.3 46.9 0.0%   131 4.6 605 4 1
    28 Herman Fontenot 23 rb 16 3 25 105 1 16 4.2 6.6 1.6 47 559 11.9 1 72 2.9 34.9 0.0%   72 9.2 664 2 2

    Fontenot/(Duke)  Chubb (Mack) Hunt (Byner)  Hilliard (Dickey)

    I could definitely see that.

  • @nickers said:

    It apparently is too hard for you read between the lines then..

    I don't need to read between the lines....when the lines themselves are clear.    At this point....Duke is ahead of Hunt ..and Hilliard on the depth chart....and WILL remain their until and unless they decide to trade him.  Maybe they will trade him....thus elevating Hilliard. But, until/unless that happens...or until and unless Hunt comes back and proves himself (and he has a lot of proving to do) DUKE is the #2 guy behind Chubb.

    Plain, simple, solid.   Freddie Kitchens and...??? forget the name of the OC, will decide that matter (or Dorsey if he trades them)  not you, not I, no one here.

    @the-gipper said:

    I don't need to read between the lines....when the lines themselves are clear.    At this point....Duke is ahead of Hunt ..and Hilliard on the depth chart....and WILL remain their until and unless they decide to trade him.  Maybe they will trade him....thus elevating Hilliard. But, until/unless that happens...or until and unless Hunt comes back and proves himself (and he has a lot of proving to do) DUKE is the #2 guy behind Chubb.

    Plain, simple, solid.   Freddie Kitchens and...??? forget the name of the OC, will decide that matter (or Dorsey if he trades them)  not you, not I, no one here.

    All's well and good 'yer'on'er'... I've moved on from Duke,,, I suggest everyone else do the same...

  • am rewatching a juicy Browns at Ravens game, while Gip's orange sunglasses go brighter than mine ?.. Nobody has argued your assessment of Hunt's similar playing skills to Chubb Gip, Butt.. Sadly 😡 (maybe madly is the better word) for what it's worth? (nothing but fan speak, btw)..my lucky 8 ball ? says forget seeing Duke at camp..he won't be here opening week 1..Your above post^^^..the guys all wanted* to be here..Not Duke Johnson/clearly... (strike #1) Hue must have put the puss, in pussifcation in hard knocks with Duke sitting out practices? (I'll add.. not a good look when other mates are pushing for spots..hurt or not? am guessing Landry was not a big Duke fan at last years camp? Bottom line, (strike #2) Dorsey should not add on Freddie's coaching plate what Pettine dealt with in our past. A split lockerroom..Some backed Johnny.. others backed Hoyer..now, word on the street says Some back Duke/Some back Baker? in a behind the scenes word, that Duke clearly(with purpose) decided to put in the front picture window in Berra... it gets & was, a bit messy, as Pettine & Farmer stated on there way out the door..(strike #3) Dorsey has not said one ugly peep, since being called a liar by Duke. Even after JD paid Duke & after just adding Hyde & Chubb.. mainly cus, Dorse knows the ball is still in his front yard to kick around till he finds a willing trade partner..Duke's only leverage is the Browns will pay him guaranteed this season and well. Yea, it's not our money. but, only speaking as a browns fan.(cause that's what we all signed up to do here is fan speak). It's a damn shame, solely on Duke Johnson behave, that his behavior has turned into what we all saw on Duke's day 1.? Trust was given, both ways, the day Duke re-signed it..To later, call any GM a liar after doing their job,of adding better competition at your position..That's called contract 'Gold Digging'! imho.. taking a teams million, to not compete against (in your words)Mack, Byner and soon minus -Fontenot.. I see nothing wrong with keepin' the faith like Gip..I've just lost all the faith in Duke Johnson..           

  • @gumby73 said:

    Folks, come on man..When your peers vote you has the 33rd top player in league..as a newbie..Who can argue?

    1.Can the guy catch? sure he can.. Several things on the field jump out over Duke's skill set.. 2.Hunt blocks angry. run or pass block. 3. Hunt's huge advantage imo over Duke is a)Vision with juke speed, not slowing down. b) Hunt coils his body before impact & can take hits. Duke tends to leave his feet, causing weird collisions..4) The biggest factor is Can Dorsey still trust Hunt, off the field? On the field, it's a absolute steal for the price we paid at our own risk..Look who we play after week 8..Hunt will play a huge part on clinching any hopes..     

    Again...different skills.  As I said, more comparable to Chubb.

    What we could have...if we are lucky,  as I said elsewhere,  is a redux of Mack/Byner/Fontenot...    Here are the stats from that year:

    34 Kevin Mack 24 FB 12 12 174 665 10 20 3.8 55.4 14.5 28 292 10.4 0 44 2.3 24.3 0.0%   202 4.7 957 10 6
    33 Curtis Dickey 30 RB 14 10 135 523 6 47 3.9 37.4 9.6 10 78 7.8 0 12 0.7 5.6 0.0%   145 4.1 601 6 4
    44 Earnest Byner 24 rb 7 7 94 277 2 37 2.9 39.6 13.4 37 328 8.9 2 40 5.3 46.9 0.0%   131 4.6 605 4 1
    28 Herman Fontenot 23 rb 16 3 25 105 1 16 4.2 6.6 1.6 47 559 11.9 1 72 2.9 34.9 0.0%   72 9.2 664 2 2

    Fontenot/(Duke)  Chubb (Mack) Hunt (Byner)  Hilliard (Dickey)

    I could definitely see that.

    @the-gipper said:

    Fontenot/(Duke)  Chubb (Mack) Hunt (Byner)  Hilliard (Dickey)

    I could definitely see that.

    Four?  On the final roster?  

    And Orson Charles?  

  • @the-gipper said:

    I don't need to read between the lines....when the lines themselves are clear.    At this point....Duke is ahead of Hunt ..and Hilliard on the depth chart....and WILL remain their until and unless they decide to trade him.  Maybe they will trade him....thus elevating Hilliard. But, until/unless that happens...or until and unless Hunt comes back and proves himself (and he has a lot of proving to do) DUKE is the #2 guy behind Chubb.

    Plain, simple, solid.   Freddie Kitchens and...??? forget the name of the OC, will decide that matter (or Dorsey if he trades them)  not you, not I, no one here.

    All's well and good 'yer'on'er'... I've moved on from Duke,,, I suggest everyone else do the same...

    @nickers said:

    All's well and good 'yer'on'er'... I've moved on from Duke,,, I suggest everyone else do the same...

    I'm with ya on this Nickers!

  • @the-gipper said:

    I don't need to read between the lines....when the lines themselves are clear.    At this point....Duke is ahead of Hunt ..and Hilliard on the depth chart....and WILL remain their until and unless they decide to trade him.  Maybe they will trade him....thus elevating Hilliard. But, until/unless that happens...or until and unless Hunt comes back and proves himself (and he has a lot of proving to do) DUKE is the #2 guy behind Chubb.

    Plain, simple, solid.   Freddie Kitchens and...??? forget the name of the OC, will decide that matter (or Dorsey if he trades them)  not you, not I, no one here.

    All's well and good 'yer'on'er'... I've moved on from Duke,,, I suggest everyone else do the same...

    @nickers said:

    All's well and good 'yer'on'er'... I've moved on from Duke,,, I suggest everyone else do the same...

    But the Cleveland Browns have not at least not yet. When they move on from him then we will.

  • am rewatching a juicy Browns at Ravens game, while Gip's orange sunglasses go brighter than mine ?.. Nobody has argued your assessment of Hunt's similar playing skills to Chubb Gip, Butt.. Sadly 😡 (maybe madly is the better word) for what it's worth? (nothing but fan speak, btw)..my lucky 8 ball ? says forget seeing Duke at camp..he won't be here opening week 1..Your above post^^^..the guys all wanted* to be here..Not Duke Johnson/clearly... (strike #1) Hue must have put the puss, in pussifcation in hard knocks with Duke sitting out practices? (I'll add.. not a good look when other mates are pushing for spots..hurt or not? am guessing Landry was not a big Duke fan at last years camp? Bottom line, (strike #2) Dorsey should not add on Freddie's coaching plate what Pettine dealt with in our past. A split lockerroom..Some backed Johnny.. others backed Hoyer..now, word on the street says Some back Duke/Some back Baker? in a behind the scenes word, that Duke clearly(with purpose) decided to put in the front picture window in Berra... it gets & was, a bit messy, as Pettine & Farmer stated on there way out the door..(strike #3) Dorsey has not said one ugly peep, since being called a liar by Duke. Even after JD paid Duke & after just adding Hyde & Chubb.. mainly cus, Dorse knows the ball is still in his front yard to kick around till he finds a willing trade partner..Duke's only leverage is the Browns will pay him guaranteed this season and well. Yea, it's not our money. but, only speaking as a browns fan.(cause that's what we all signed up to do here is fan speak). It's a damn shame, solely on Duke Johnson behave, that his behavior has turned into what we all saw on Duke's day 1.? Trust was given, both ways, the day Duke re-signed it..To later, call any GM a liar after doing their job,of adding better competition at your position..That's called contract 'Gold Digging'! imho.. taking a teams million, to not compete against (in your words)Mack, Byner and soon minus -Fontenot.. I see nothing wrong with keepin' the faith like Gip..I've just lost all the faith in Duke Johnson..           

    @gumby73 said:

    am rewatching a juicy Browns at Ravens game, while Gip's orange sunglasses go brighter than mine ?.. Nobody has argued your assessment of Hunt's similar playing skills to Chubb Gip, Butt.. Sadly 😡 (maybe madly is the better word) for what it's worth? (nothing but fan speak, btw)..my lucky 8 ball ? says forget seeing Duke at camp..he won't be here opening week 1..Your above post^^^..the guys all wanted* to be here..Not Duke Johnson/clearly... (strike #1) Hue must have put the puss, in pussifcation in hard knocks with Duke sitting out practices? (I'll add.. not a good look when other mates are pushing for spots..hurt or not? am guessing Landry was not a big Duke fan at last years camp? Bottom line, (strike #2) Dorsey should not add on Freddie's coaching plate what Pettine dealt with in our past. A split lockerroom..Some backed Johnny.. others backed Hoyer..now, word on the street says Some back Duke/Some back Baker? in a behind the scenes word, that Duke clearly(with purpose) decided to put in the front picture window in Berra... it gets & was, a bit messy, as Pettine & Farmer stated on there way out the door..(strike #3) Dorsey has not said one ugly peep, since being called a liar by Duke. Even after JD paid Duke & after just adding Hyde & Chubb.. mainly cus, Dorse knows the ball is still in his front yard to kick around till he finds a willing trade partner..Duke's only leverage is the Browns will pay him guaranteed this season and well. Yea, it's not our money. but, only speaking as a browns fan.(cause that's what we all signed up to do here is fan speak). It's a damn shame, solely on Duke Johnson behave, that his behavior has turned into what we all saw on Duke's day 1.? Trust was given, both ways, the day Duke re-signed it..To later, call any GM a liar after doing their job,of adding better competition at your position..That's called contract 'Gold Digging'! imho.. taking a teams million, to not compete against (in your words)Mack, Byner and soon minus -Fontenot.. I see nothing wrong with keepin' the faith like Gip..I've just lost all the faith in Duke Johnson..           

    My point is not that I’m putting that much faith into Johnson. It’s just that I am reading what the current facts are. The current facts are he is a member of this team and he has a role to play if he’s going to be here in the future. That role will be as the third down back up running back. If he’s gone he’s gone and Vaya con Dios but until that point I’m not going to disparage a member of this football team in case he just happens to stick around here a lot longer than you all think he will. 

  • @the-gipper said:

    Fontenot/(Duke)  Chubb (Mack) Hunt (Byner)  Hilliard (Dickey)

    I could definitely see that.

    Four?  On the final roster?  

    And Orson Charles?  

    @orion said:

    Four?  On the final roster?  

    And Orson Charles?  

    The 1986 team had four running backs on the roster Mack. Byner Fontenot and Dickey

  • Zombo said:

    Ideally you keep Duke half the season and then trade him because, hopefully, it is another team that has injury problems and needs a veteran back,

    Zombo

    However, there is always a good chance someone needs him from day one and with Hillard there, my bet would be on the trade to fulfill someone else's loss. Some counted on RB always goes down during preseason (or gets suspended). I'd take the bet for the trade before opening kickoff in Sept.

  • Zombo said:

    Ideally you keep Duke half the season and then trade him because, hopefully, it is another team that has injury problems and needs a veteran back,

    Zombo

    However, there is always a good chance someone needs him from day one and with Hillard there, my bet would be on the trade to fulfill someone else's loss. Some counted on RB always goes down during preseason (or gets suspended). I'd take the bet for the trade before opening kickoff in Sept.

    @texasag1969 said:

    However, there is always a good chance someone needs him from day one and with Hillard there, my bet would be on the trade to fulfill someone else's loss. Some counted on RB always goes down during preseason (or gets suspended). I'd take the bet for the trade before opening kickoff in Sept.

    Why should we do other teams a favor by giving them a player that we can use for probably a sack of beans in return. 

  • @texasag1969 said:

    However, there is always a good chance someone needs him from day one and with Hillard there, my bet would be on the trade to fulfill someone else's loss. Some counted on RB always goes down during preseason (or gets suspended). I'd take the bet for the trade before opening kickoff in Sept.

    Why should we do other teams a favor by giving them a player that we can use for probably a sack of beans in return. 

    @the-gipper said:

    Why should we do other teams a favor by giving them a player that we can use for probably a sack of beans in return. 

    Because we will end up dropping him for nothing otherwise. Better the beans than air.

  • @the-gipper said:

    Why should we do other teams a favor by giving them a player that we can use for probably a sack of beans in return. 

    Because we will end up dropping him for nothing otherwise. Better the beans than air.

    @texasag1969 said:

    Because we will end up dropping him for nothing otherwise. Better the beans than air.

    No, we wouldn't.  If there were a time to trade him it would be more toward midseason, when other teams may have had their runners suffer injuries and they would be in desperate need for someone like Duke.  Or, maybe, some NFC team (do not trade him in the AFC) could see someone like that as a key component to them making the playoffs.  Then those other team would ante up even more for Duke than we could get for him now. .....

    unless you think that right here, right now you are going to get like a 2d round draft pick for him

  • @texasag1969 said:

    Because we will end up dropping him for nothing otherwise. Better the beans than air.

    No, we wouldn't.  If there were a time to trade him it would be more toward midseason, when other teams may have had their runners suffer injuries and they would be in desperate need for someone like Duke.  Or, maybe, some NFC team (do not trade him in the AFC) could see someone like that as a key component to them making the playoffs.  Then those other team would ante up even more for Duke than we could get for him now. .....

    unless you think that right here, right now you are going to get like a 2d round draft pick for him

    @the-gipper said:

    No, we wouldn't.  If there were a time to trade him it would be more toward midseason, when other teams may have had their runners suffer injuries and they would be in desperate need for someone like Duke.  Or, maybe, some NFC team (do not trade him in the AFC) could see someone like that as a key component to them making the playoffs.  Then those other team would ante up even more for Duke than we could get for him now. .....

    unless you think that right here, right now you are going to get like a 2d round draft pick for him

    Duke isn't worth doo-doo on the open market. Regardless of when he gets  traded. I'll  be shocked  if  we get anything  more than a  4th rounder.  Exhibit  A is what the Steelers  got for their malcontents Brown and  Bell. Almost  nothing  based on their talent  level, on another level compared to Johnson.  

    Too bad Duke isn't  happy with the load of  cash  he got in his new contract. 

  • @the-gipper said:

    No, we wouldn't.  If there were a time to trade him it would be more toward midseason, when other teams may have had their runners suffer injuries and they would be in desperate need for someone like Duke.  Or, maybe, some NFC team (do not trade him in the AFC) could see someone like that as a key component to them making the playoffs.  Then those other team would ante up even more for Duke than we could get for him now. .....

    unless you think that right here, right now you are going to get like a 2d round draft pick for him

    Duke isn't worth doo-doo on the open market. Regardless of when he gets  traded. I'll  be shocked  if  we get anything  more than a  4th rounder.  Exhibit  A is what the Steelers  got for their malcontents Brown and  Bell. Almost  nothing  based on their talent  level, on another level compared to Johnson.  

    Too bad Duke isn't  happy with the load of  cash  he got in his new contract. 

    @hoorta said:

    Duke isn't worth doo-doo on the open market.

    OK, then, the best tactic the Browns can employ is to use him, since they are paying him

    Regardless of when he gets  traded. I'll  be shocked  if  we get anything  more than a  4th rounder.  Exhibit  A is what the Steelers  got for their malcontents Brown and  Bell. Almost  nothing  based on their talent  level, on another level compared to Johnson.  

    Again, all the more reason to just put him to work then.

    Too bad Duke isn't  happy with the load of  cash  he got in his new contract. 

    In my opinion, his happiness is irrelevent.  (besides, I don't think it is the money he is unhappy with, is it?  It is the perceived "you said you might want to trade me"  BS.  All this phony baloney  teenage romance drama.)  Beyond that, if he does get traded, he ain't getting more money from anywhere else, they are just going to pay him that contract.

  • @hoorta said:

    Duke isn't worth doo-doo on the open market.

    OK, then, the best tactic the Browns can employ is to use him, since they are paying him

    Regardless of when he gets  traded. I'll  be shocked  if  we get anything  more than a  4th rounder.  Exhibit  A is what the Steelers  got for their malcontents Brown and  Bell. Almost  nothing  based on their talent  level, on another level compared to Johnson.  

    Again, all the more reason to just put him to work then.

    Too bad Duke isn't  happy with the load of  cash  he got in his new contract. 

    In my opinion, his happiness is irrelevent.  (besides, I don't think it is the money he is unhappy with, is it?  It is the perceived "you said you might want to trade me"  BS.  All this phony baloney  teenage romance drama.)  Beyond that, if he does get traded, he ain't getting more money from anywhere else, they are just going to pay him that contract.

    @the-gipper said:

    Maybe in his mind he thinks he's a "feature back", and that ain't happening with Chubb and Hunt on the roster.

  • @the-gipper said:

    Maybe in his mind he thinks he's a "feature back", and that ain't happening with Chubb and Hunt on the roster.

    @hoorta said:

    Maybe in his mind he thinks he's a "feature back", and that ain't happening with Chubb and Hunt on the roster.

    I don't know...I think he knows he is the backup/3rd down back.    And Hunt really "ain't" on the roster for 8 games, and who knows beyond that.

  • I don't think Duke can take the pounding that an every down RB has to take.  I see him more as a, Raise My Hand For A Break, type of guy rather than the Carlos Hyde, I Don't Need To Come Out type.

  • I don't think Duke can take the pounding that an every down RB has to take.  I see him more as a, Raise My Hand For A Break, type of guy rather than the Carlos Hyde, I Don't Need To Come Out type.

    @orion said:

    I don't think Duke can take the pounding that an every down RB has to take.  I see him more as a, Raise My Hand For A Break, type of guy rather than the Carlos Hyde, I Don't Need To Come Out type.

    Remember the argument Haley had with Hue about Hue letting guys sit too much during Training Camp and that Haley thought they needed to be on the field practicing more? I swear I think it was Duke specifically they were talking about

  • You nailed the guy Dutch.It was Duke^^^  Each day I read on the duke, and I keep reading a clusterfuck of idea's ?..1)Grossi thinks (not easy for him,btw) if Mayfield openly apologies to Duke..The sky quits falling & Duke can be a good teammate..(yikes!) 2.) Trade to Jags maybe front runners? Jags got no one after Fournette & she can't catch..While at GB, Wolfe & Highsmith drafted a LB out of Michigan, Jake Ryan with the 5th pick in the 4th round. Jake is 27, a westlake,ohio kid  & can tackle now at Jags..fair trade option for Duke, imo..3.) The Yuckaneers of TB..They have Barber, who's similar to Duke & a rookie RB Ronald Jones that struggled last season ..Another former Ohio kid that maybe playing out his welcome in TB is DE & former buckeye Noah Spence.Spence is better DE depth than what we have if tradeable..4.) Dorsey has a buddy gm at the Colts..but imo, Chris Ballard loves the RB Nyheim Hines pick from NC State drafted last season..If some remember? Ogun tore his pec not needing surgery..Those are f'n scary going into this season..The Colts have a guy with a motor that won't quit, that plays anywhere on the DL..Denico Autry..might cost Duke & a late pick? But missing out on Gerald McCoy might feel better..     

  • @orion said:

    I don't think Duke can take the pounding that an every down RB has to take.  I see him more as a, Raise My Hand For A Break, type of guy rather than the Carlos Hyde, I Don't Need To Come Out type.

    Remember the argument Haley had with Hue about Hue letting guys sit too much during Training Camp and that Haley thought they needed to be on the field practicing more? I swear I think it was Duke specifically they were talking about

    @dutch-oven said:

    Remember the argument Haley had with Hue about Hue letting guys sit too much during Training Camp and that Haley thought they needed to be on the field practicing more? I swear I think it was Duke specifically they were talking about

    I've always thought that Duke was the 'soft tissue' guy in the conversation.