Skip to content

Tiamat's 2019 training camp observations, thoughts, ramblings (who the hell knows at this point?)

The Browns Board
118 21 4.3k
  • T TexasAg1969 wrote on last edited by
    #88

    I was listening to NFL Radio yesterday and they were discussion Njoku needing to improve his catching for balls coming in below the waste. They say he is excellent at getting open and catching anything high, but still drops the low ones in practice more often than not, especially on crossing routes over the middle. Hopefully Baker figures this out too and sends 'em high every time he's targeted.

  • any insight on TE Demetetrius Harris? Hands/blocking. Who saw Devalves snaps? Orson Charles/P.Brown?  Did RB AJ Ovellette see any touches? thanks

    tiamat63T tiamat63 wrote on last edited by
    #89

    @gumby73 said:

    any insight on TE Demetetrius Harris? Hands/blocking. Who saw Devalves snaps? Orson Charles/P.Brown?  Did RB AJ Ovellette see any touches? thanks

    Not sure which TE but it wasn't Njoku - Saw a gun double tight and the wing pulled across for a kickout on the backside end. Got there in a hurry and walked, I think it was Zettel?, clean out of the play.  

    So there's that...

  • @tiamat63 said:

     Hilliard.  He's more than just a 'serviceable' back.   The kid could start in a pinch and I wouldn't be scared.  He runs patient, smooth and determined.  As some would say a very 'intelligent' runner.

    Remember Ogbo (Ogbonnaya)?   He was a very smart RB.  Good blocker, always knew who and where to block, a good receiving back and knew how to be open, ran smart.  -  Can Hilliard block?

    ...good to hear Higgins is doing well.  We need a solid 3rd receiver.  He's gotta stay healthy though.

    tiamat63T tiamat63 wrote on last edited by
    #90

    @orion said:

    Remember Ogbo (Ogbonnaya)?   He was a very smart RB.  Good blocker, always knew who and where to block, a good receiving back and knew how to be open, ran smart.  -  Can Hilliard block?

    ...good to hear Higgins is doing well.  We need a solid 3rd receiver.  He's gotta stay healthy though.

    I remember Obby. Had the misfortune of playing for Shurmur.

    Hilliard can block, otherwise he wouldn't be getting the snaps in this offense that he has.

    Higgy is more than solid. Might have legit fantasy value.

  • @orion said:

    Remember Ogbo (Ogbonnaya)?   He was a very smart RB.  Good blocker, always knew who and where to block, a good receiving back and knew how to be open, ran smart.  -  Can Hilliard block?

    ...good to hear Higgins is doing well.  We need a solid 3rd receiver.  He's gotta stay healthy though.

    I remember Obby. Had the misfortune of playing for Shurmur.

    Hilliard can block, otherwise he wouldn't be getting the snaps in this offense that he has.

    Higgy is more than solid. Might have legit fantasy value.

    OrionO Orion wrote on last edited by
    #91

    @tiamat63 said:

    Higgy is more than solid. Might have legit fantasy value.

    I don't give a rats ass about fantasy value .   -  just sayin'

  • @tiamat63 said:

    Higgy is more than solid. Might have legit fantasy value.

    I don't give a rats ass about fantasy value .   -  just sayin'

    tiamat63T tiamat63 wrote on last edited by
    #92

    @orion said:

    I don't give a rats ass about fantasy value .   -  just sayin'

    Point being, I believe he'll be a bit beyond just a "solid" player.  He'll produce.  To the point where other players and fans will take notice.

  • U Unsympathetic wrote on last edited by
    #93

    If Corbett's not starting any time soon, how about getting a 4th, 5th from Minn or Seattle?

  • @canton-mike said:

    I don't think I have ever been more pissed about a draft pick (MISS!) than Corey Coleman over Mike Thomas!!!  AAAARRRRGGGGHHH!!!!!!

    I hate being reminded of that day.

    Mike

    More than the night the Browns traded up to take Johnny Football? 

    That was the night I almost became a Packers fan. 

    tiamat63T tiamat63 wrote on last edited by
    #94

    @dutch-oven said:

    More than the night the Browns traded up to take Johnny Football? 

    That was the night I almost became a Packers fan. 

    Was asked to leave Smokey Bones in Mentor after (drunkenly) MF'ing everyone up and down the bar who cheered the pick.  Not my finest hour, but jokes on them - i was right.

    @dutch-oven said:

    Callaway gives the Browns the ability to open up the top of the defense, his ability to produce is important. Maybe not vital, but important. 

    Landry and Higgins are more the move-the-chain guys, and OBJ is a spectacular talent when he's actually on the field. Callaway gives the Browns explosiveness in the pass game. 

    Callaway can be a vertical and YAC threat... If he actually catches the ball.

    @texasag1969 said:

    I was listening to NFL Radio yesterday and they were discussion Njoku needing to improve his catching for balls coming in below the waste. They say he is excellent at getting open and catching anything high, but still drops the low ones in practice more often than not, especially on crossing routes over the middle. Hopefully Baker figures this out too and sends 'em high every time he's targeted.

    I can see that.  But then again most players his size could be tagged the same.  Of course it helps that when Baker isn't right on he tends to put the ball a little high.  Benefits having receivers with a plus catch radius.

  • If Corbett's not starting any time soon, how about getting a 4th, 5th from Minn or Seattle?

    tiamat63T tiamat63 wrote on last edited by
    #95

    @unsympathetic said:

    If Corbett's not starting any time soon, how about getting a 4th, 5th from Minn or Seattle?

    *shrugs*  the article in the other camp thread has Corbett projected as RG1.  Which, by some miracle happens, will be near a Cam Erving level head scratcher for me.

  • @clevelandwantsplayoffs said:

    Great insight into what is going on in camp. I really hope Callaway can fix his drop issues. He is a vital part of the offense.

    I saw on ESPN that Baker had some issues with the #1 receivers. Something about them not working back towards the ball. What a leader we got, man.

    Callaway gives the Browns the ability to open up the top of the defense, his ability to produce is important. Maybe not vital, but important. 

    Landry and Higgins are more the move-the-chain guys, and OBJ is a spectacular talent when he's actually on the field. Callaway gives the Browns explosiveness in the pass game. 

    CLEVELANDwantsPLAYOFFSC CLEVELANDwantsPLAYOFFS wrote on last edited by
    #96

    @dutch-oven said:

    Callaway gives the Browns the ability to open up the top of the defense, his ability to produce is important. Maybe not vital, but important. 

    Landry and Higgins are more the move-the-chain guys, and OBJ is a spectacular talent when he's actually on the field. Callaway gives the Browns explosiveness in the pass game. 

    Higgins and Landry have reliable hands, and OBJ is spectacular.. I am aware. 

    Anybody can get sidelined. AC11 is the next man up, so his development and catching the damn ball is very important

  • @unsympathetic said:

    If Corbett's not starting any time soon, how about getting a 4th, 5th from Minn or Seattle?

    *shrugs*  the article in the other camp thread has Corbett projected as RG1.  Which, by some miracle happens, will be near a Cam Erving level head scratcher for me.

    ComeonmanC Comeonman wrote on last edited by
    #97

    @tiamat63 said:

    *shrugs*  the article in the other camp thread has Corbett projected as RG1.  Which, by some miracle happens, will be near a Cam Erving level head scratcher for me.

    Please make it stop! Too many names in this thread like Coleman, Erving and JF!

  • @dutch-oven said:

    Callaway gives the Browns the ability to open up the top of the defense, his ability to produce is important. Maybe not vital, but important. 

    Landry and Higgins are more the move-the-chain guys, and OBJ is a spectacular talent when he's actually on the field. Callaway gives the Browns explosiveness in the pass game. 

    Higgins and Landry have reliable hands, and OBJ is spectacular.. I am aware. 

    Anybody can get sidelined. AC11 is the next man up, so his development and catching the damn ball is very important

    Canton MikeC Canton Mike wrote on last edited by
    #98

    @clevelandwantsplayoffs said:

    Higgins and Landry have reliable hands, and OBJ is spectacular.. I am aware. 

    Anybody can get sidelined. AC11 is the next man up, so his development and catching the damn ball is very important

    I think the kid will be fine. Apparently came to camp a little out of shape, but he's surrounded by real PROS in the WR room, so I feel he'll mature & come around.

    Mike

  • tiamat63T tiamat63 wrote on last edited by tiamat63
    #99

    This has nothing to do with training camp but it's some insight for those interested in getting to understand football scheme a lot more. There are some intermediate and higher level concepts being explained here, but done so in a way that will make sense.   Added Bonus: The man doing the breakdown is one of my all time favorite Buckeye DB's (Only behind Chris Gamble) and one of my favorite safeties in the NFL - Malcolm Jenkins. 

    The discussion starting at 0:15 with "inverted half'. Inverted is when the safeties stack down low and the corners are now back or drop into the hash responsibility that was previously the safeties job.   Inverted cover 2 was a staple for the Steelers during most of the 2000's.  Remember Larry Fitz roasting their secondary to put the Cardinals ahead in the SuperBowl? IIRC, that was off inverted cover 2.                  This is a good lesson in how defenses prioritize route threats - I.E. which route combinations they're expecting vs what the defense shows.  In this case, MJ says he's looking to take away the '7'... universally that's known as a flag or bench route To Diggs.

    If you're wondering why the defensive alignment and zone drop to outside leverage by the safety...?   it's to help the DB over the top focus on playing vertical and inside breaking routes without worrying about being beaten to the outside boundary - because his defensive help, in this case Malcolm, is there. 

    Just a great clip all around from one of my all time favorites.  Very much worth a watch even for higher level football I.Q.'s.    

  • T TexasAg1969 wrote on last edited by TexasAg1969

    That is one smart player there. Love how he bates throws to "open" receivers. It's an art form. There is a kid now going into 10th grade here who is one of the most talented players I've ever seen and mostly plays QB. But at times he will come in as a CB. In a close game the other team's WR was making toast out of the normal CB for catch after catch all the way down the field, but when they got to the 10 this kid asked my son to put him in with the statement, "I'll take it from him and run it back for a TD coach." He put him in and it looked like he was beaten, but just as the QB started to let it fly he broke from deep behind the receiver, stepped in front as the ball got there and scored on a 100+ yd. TD. He was watching the eyes and the arm and as soon as the QB had reached that point of no return, just sprinted to the spot he knew it would be. Amazingly smart to set that QB up into throwing a "sure" TD.

    BTW he loves OSU. I still get a word in about A&M when I go see him play though.?

  • @canton-mike said:

    I don't think I have ever been more pissed about a draft pick (MISS!) than Corey Coleman over Mike Thomas!!!  AAAARRRRGGGGHHH!!!!!!

    I hate being reminded of that day.

    Mike

    More than the night the Browns traded up to take Johnny Football? 

    That was the night I almost became a Packers fan. 

    Tour2maT Tour2ma wrote on last edited by

    @dutch-oven said:

    More than the night the Browns traded up to take Johnny Football?

    As soon as it was announced that we'd traded up I said, "Oh Fuck!"

  • @dutch-oven said:

    More than the night the Browns traded up to take Johnny Football?

    As soon as it was announced that we'd traded up I said, "Oh Fuck!"

    T TexasAg1969 wrote on last edited by

    @tour2ma said:

    As soon as it was announced that we'd traded up I said, "Oh Fuck!"

    With the first pick in the 2017 NFL draft the Cleveland Browns take from Texas A&M..............................

    With the first pick in the 2018 NFL draft the Cleveland Browns take from Oklahoma................................

    I think I'm cured now. ??

  • CLEVELANDwantsPLAYOFFSC CLEVELANDwantsPLAYOFFS wrote on last edited by

    This rookie defense seems to be loaded. Greedy, Redwine, Wilson, Taki.. who knows which one will step in and make an impact.

  • tiamat63T tiamat63 wrote on last edited by

    On that drive and from the notes.

    - Kush your RG

    - Hilliard looks solid

    - Higgy is THE MAN.

  • CLEVELANDwantsPLAYOFFSC CLEVELANDwantsPLAYOFFS wrote on last edited by

    Posted in the game day thread but Chad Thomas looked explosive with a QB pressures and a QB hit on one drive

  • Posted in the game day thread but Chad Thomas looked explosive with a QB pressures and a QB hit on one drive

    tiamat63T tiamat63 wrote on last edited by

    @clevelandwantsplayoffs said:

    Posted in the game day thread but Chad Thomas looked explosive with a QB pressures and a QB hit on one drive

    Also something in camp that was evident in drills.  Didnt see it in 11's though. So that was a nice surprise.

  • This rookie defense seems to be loaded. Greedy, Redwine, Wilson, Taki.. who knows which one will step in and make an impact.

    T TexasAg1969 wrote on last edited by

    @clevelandwantsplayoffs said:

    This rookie defense seems to be loaded. Greedy, Redwine, Wilson, Taki.. who knows which one will step in and make an impact.

    It's Wilson. After watching his play I have no doubt. He was my hope for 3rd round pick and I could not believe he was still there for us in the 5th. STEAL! 

    Taki now has a lot to prove and that's a great motivator for real competitors.?