Andrew Luck
-
You're wrong.
There was no excuse to boo
Luck apparently told the owner weeks ago
-
I'm think, that Luck would have decided before the draft, to help his team, but didn't really know til later.
The more he found out about what other players have been saying about injuries... and dealt with his own...
he just didn't want to go on with any more injuries - . Good luck to him.
-
I'm sorry....dude just did a very selfish move. I understand wanting to retire and retiring because of all those injuries................but don't tell me he had 0 idea pre-draft. Dude is very smart and educated...He knows what a QB means to a team and Jacoby is a back up....Dude could've rehabbed half the season and be welcomed back with open arms and let everyone know this is his last year. Colts fan had every reason to boo.....
I'm sorry....dude just did a very selfish move. I understand wanting to retire and retiring because of all those injuries................but don't tell me he had 0 idea pre-draft. Dude is very smart and educated...He knows what a QB means to a team and Jacoby is a back up....Dude could've rehabbed half the season and be welcomed back with open arms and let everyone know this is his last year. Colts fan had every reason to boo.....
I can tell you that after knee surgery for a torn medial meniscus I desperately wanted to come back to racquetball again and rode a bicycle 15 miles a day up and down hills to rehab. But it took me about two months of trying to come back (4 months first on the bike) before I had to admit I was hurting the other knee in trying to protect the one that had healed. I was very lucky that after a year from then on I was asked to play again by my son in law after having spent that year on that 15 mi. a day ride. So now I play again but with the knowledge I am one injury away from bicycles permanently.
It's very hard to give up something you have done and love most of your life and you first have to conclude you just can't do it on the level required. And for pro QB's it's just not the same as an amateur RB player. Tough decision for Luck to make with $$$$$$s to have to leave on the table tempting a comeback. I won't fault him for hanging on to hope as long as he could. Real self-competitors are just made that way.
-
According to the NFLPA, the average career is 3.3 years.
Looks like he’ll be a full time caveman for geico now... lol
BINGO, we have a winner!
The NFL is truly a brutal business that's why they are going overboard to try to protect the quarterbacks and wide receivers. For every player who makes 10, 15 or even 20 years there are many who get hurt in training camp or year 1 or 2 in the game.
Good luck Luck in your new career behind a microphone or maybe just fishing.
BINGO, we have a winner!
The NFL is truly a brutal business that's why they are going overboard to try to protect the quarterbacks and wide receivers. For every player who makes 10, 15 or even 20 years there are many who get hurt in training camp or year 1 or 2 in the game.
Good luck Luck in your new career behind a microphone or maybe just fishing.
For sure, I just wonder if this sort of thing will cascade more in the coming years. The first people that came into my head were the Bosa brothers. Came from a good (wealthy) family, have the tools to earn big deals in their mid 20's. Why not walk away from the game after 8-ish seasons? $100 something million bucks and already having a base makes it, in some ways, almost an easy decision. Gronk just did the same thing really.
There some dudes who will want to die on the field, but I'm just not nearly as sure this generation feels that way.
-
I'm sorry....dude just did a very selfish move. I understand wanting to retire and retiring because of all those injuries................but don't tell me he had 0 idea pre-draft. Dude is very smart and educated...He knows what a QB means to a team and Jacoby is a back up....Dude could've rehabbed half the season and be welcomed back with open arms and let everyone know this is his last year. Colts fan had every reason to boo.....
I'm sorry....dude just did a very selfish move. I understand wanting to retire and retiring because of all those injuries................but don't tell me he had 0 idea pre-draft. Dude is very smart and educated...He knows what a QB means to a team and Jacoby is a back up....Dude could've rehabbed half the season and be welcomed back with open arms and let everyone know this is his last year. Colts fan had every reason to boo.....
Of course it was selfish. I expect the retirement of somebody to be a selfish move. It's football, not the war.
I can see him not knowing till a few weeks ago. Pre draft he still had plenty of months to recover and get into perfect football shape. Time has gone by, and he has kept feeling pain, with another season of fighting through pain getting closer and closer.
-
BINGO, we have a winner!
The NFL is truly a brutal business that's why they are going overboard to try to protect the quarterbacks and wide receivers. For every player who makes 10, 15 or even 20 years there are many who get hurt in training camp or year 1 or 2 in the game.
Good luck Luck in your new career behind a microphone or maybe just fishing.
For sure, I just wonder if this sort of thing will cascade more in the coming years. The first people that came into my head were the Bosa brothers. Came from a good (wealthy) family, have the tools to earn big deals in their mid 20's. Why not walk away from the game after 8-ish seasons? $100 something million bucks and already having a base makes it, in some ways, almost an easy decision. Gronk just did the same thing really.
There some dudes who will want to die on the field, but I'm just not nearly as sure this generation feels that way.
The're some dudes who will want to die on the field, but I'm just not nearly as sure this generation feels that way.
Dorsey seems to be loading up on "football guys", not just players. The kind that are there for the game itself and money comes second to what they love. When I hear players like Baker and Garrett wanting to be the best that's ever been, I know who we have on this team.
-
The're some dudes who will want to die on the field, but I'm just not nearly as sure this generation feels that way.
Dorsey seems to be loading up on "football guys", not just players. The kind that are there for the game itself and money comes second to what they love. When I hear players like Baker and Garrett wanting to be the best that's ever been, I know who we have on this team.
Dorsey seems to be loading up on "football guys", not just players. The kind that are there for the game itself and money comes second to what they love. When I hear players like Baker and Garrett wanting to be the best that's ever been, I know who we have on this team.
So.... if one is damaged to the point where "best ever" is not possible and they retire early, then you'll understand?
-
You're wrong.
There was no excuse to boo
Luck apparently told the owner weeks ago
He probably should have announced it then...before the game. In hindsight.
-
BINGO, we have a winner!
The NFL is truly a brutal business that's why they are going overboard to try to protect the quarterbacks and wide receivers. For every player who makes 10, 15 or even 20 years there are many who get hurt in training camp or year 1 or 2 in the game.
Good luck Luck in your new career behind a microphone or maybe just fishing.
For sure, I just wonder if this sort of thing will cascade more in the coming years. The first people that came into my head were the Bosa brothers. Came from a good (wealthy) family, have the tools to earn big deals in their mid 20's. Why not walk away from the game after 8-ish seasons? $100 something million bucks and already having a base makes it, in some ways, almost an easy decision. Gronk just did the same thing really.
There some dudes who will want to die on the field, but I'm just not nearly as sure this generation feels that way.
For sure, I just wonder if this sort of thing will cascade more in the coming years. The first people that came into my head were the Bosa brothers. Came from a good (wealthy) family, have the tools to earn big deals in their mid 20's. Why not walk away from the game after 8-ish seasons? $100 something million bucks and already having a base makes it, in some ways, almost an easy decision. Gronk just did the same thing really.
There some dudes who will want to die on the field, but I'm just not nearly as sure this generation feels that way.
And now he can become the assistant commissioner of the XFL.....since his dad is the commissioner!!
-
I'm sorry....dude just did a very selfish move. I understand wanting to retire and retiring because of all those injuries................but don't tell me he had 0 idea pre-draft. Dude is very smart and educated...He knows what a QB means to a team and Jacoby is a back up....Dude could've rehabbed half the season and be welcomed back with open arms and let everyone know this is his last year. Colts fan had every reason to boo.....
I'm sorry....dude just did a very selfish move. I understand wanting to retire and retiring because of all those injuries................but don't tell me he had 0 idea pre-draft. Dude is very smart and educated...He knows what a QB means to a team and Jacoby is a back up....Dude could've rehabbed half the season and be welcomed back with open arms and let everyone know this is his last year. Colts fan had every reason to boo.....
Sorry- but I'll assume Luck is being honest when he said he wasn't sure about it as recently as a month ago. Or are you a disgruntled Colts fan dropping by for a visit? As some have previously said- Irsay's dad was one of the more recent carpetbaggers who set off a chain reaction of team relocation. Maybe karma is catching up to the Colts.
This isn't the first or the last time a "name" player has walked away from the game when they still had plenty of tread left on the tires. Starting with Jim Brown (I've maintained if JB had done a Jerry Rice and played until he couldn't anymore, he'd still hold every rushing record worth mentioning), Barry Sanders, Robert Smith, and Calvin Johnson. Those off the top of my head. Chris Borland walked away after a promising rookie season.
The salaries are so high now, there's really no reason to keep playing if you're worried about winding up in a wheelchair like Earl Campbell did.
-
BINGO, we have a winner!
The NFL is truly a brutal business that's why they are going overboard to try to protect the quarterbacks and wide receivers. For every player who makes 10, 15 or even 20 years there are many who get hurt in training camp or year 1 or 2 in the game.
Good luck Luck in your new career behind a microphone or maybe just fishing.
For sure, I just wonder if this sort of thing will cascade more in the coming years. The first people that came into my head were the Bosa brothers. Came from a good (wealthy) family, have the tools to earn big deals in their mid 20's. Why not walk away from the game after 8-ish seasons? $100 something million bucks and already having a base makes it, in some ways, almost an easy decision. Gronk just did the same thing really.
There some dudes who will want to die on the field, but I'm just not nearly as sure this generation feels that way.
For sure, I just wonder if this sort of thing will cascade more in the coming years. The first people that came into my head were the Bosa brothers. Came from a good (wealthy) family, have the tools to earn big deals in their mid 20's. Why not walk away from the game after 8-ish seasons? $100 something million bucks and already having a base makes it, in some ways, almost an easy decision. Gronk just did the same thing really.
There some dudes who will want to die on the field, but I'm just not nearly as sure this generation feels that way.
It's happening now when I played high school football in the 1960s we had 105 boys out for JV and varsity football our graduating class had 327 total students.
Now I see some local schools here in football crazy NE OHIO that can barely get 30 or 40 players most playing two ways and some special teams.
The soccer, volleyball and those sports are not having those kinds of problems.
I believe kids are lazier and many soccer moms and dads don't want their kids playing tackle football. Why? Just read the papers and watch the news.....or PBS or 60 minutes.
-
Dorsey seems to be loading up on "football guys", not just players. The kind that are there for the game itself and money comes second to what they love. When I hear players like Baker and Garrett wanting to be the best that's ever been, I know who we have on this team.
So.... if one is damaged to the point where "best ever" is not possible and they retire early, then you'll understand?
So.... if one is damaged to the point where "best ever" is not possible and they retire early, then you'll understand?
So long as the reason is legitimate like Luck's seems to be? Sure. Of course I would prefer that both our players actually become the best ever and fulfill their dreams without becoming injured. But as the Stones used to sing, "You can't always get what you want.......".
-
I don't understand why wait til the season is about to start? Why not say something before the draft? Even at tne 1st preseason game? Why wait til after the most important preseason game then say "I am done"? IMO it is a pure bitch move. He could of said something a long time ago.
-
I'm sorry....dude just did a very selfish move. I understand wanting to retire and retiring because of all those injuries................but don't tell me he had 0 idea pre-draft. Dude is very smart and educated...He knows what a QB means to a team and Jacoby is a back up....Dude could've rehabbed half the season and be welcomed back with open arms and let everyone know this is his last year. Colts fan had every reason to boo.....
I can tell you that after knee surgery for a torn medial meniscus I desperately wanted to come back to racquetball again and rode a bicycle 15 miles a day up and down hills to rehab. But it took me about two months of trying to come back (4 months first on the bike) before I had to admit I was hurting the other knee in trying to protect the one that had healed. I was very lucky that after a year from then on I was asked to play again by my son in law after having spent that year on that 15 mi. a day ride. So now I play again but with the knowledge I am one injury away from bicycles permanently.
It's very hard to give up something you have done and love most of your life and you first have to conclude you just can't do it on the level required. And for pro QB's it's just not the same as an amateur RB player. Tough decision for Luck to make with $$$$$$s to have to leave on the table tempting a comeback. I won't fault him for hanging on to hope as long as he could. Real self-competitors are just made that way.
I can tell you that after knee surgery for a torn medial meniscus I desperately wanted to come back to racquetball again and rode a bicycle 15 miles a day up and down hills to rehab. But it took me about two months of trying to come back (4 months first on the bike) before I had to admit I was hurting the other knee in trying to protect the one that had healed. I was very lucky that after a year from then on I was asked to play again by my son in law after having spent that year on that 15 mi. a day ride. So now I play again but with the knowledge I am one injury away from bicycles permanently.
It's very hard to give up something you have done and love most of your life and you first have to conclude you just can't do it on the level required. And for pro QB's it's just not the same as an amateur RB player. Tough decision for Luck to make with $$$$$$s to have to leave on the table tempting a comeback. I won't fault him for hanging on to hope as long as he could. Real self-competitors are just made that way.
Same here. So many surgeries, and the recent ACL/MCL blowout I had in 2017 took me right out of playing basketball and volleyball. I'm finally back to playing again (although poorly, lol), but it's of the understanding that I'm one injury away from permanent retirement...and my wife shooting me dead.
-
I'm sorry....dude just did a very selfish move. I understand wanting to retire and retiring because of all those injuries................but don't tell me he had 0 idea pre-draft. Dude is very smart and educated...He knows what a QB means to a team and Jacoby is a back up....Dude could've rehabbed half the season and be welcomed back with open arms and let everyone know this is his last year. Colts fan had every reason to boo.....
I'm sorry....dude just did a very selfish move. I understand wanting to retire and retiring because of all those injuries................but don't tell me he had 0 idea pre-draft. Dude is very smart and educated...He knows what a QB means to a team and Jacoby is a back up....Dude could've rehabbed half the season and be welcomed back with open arms and let everyone know this is his last year. Colts fan had every reason to boo.....
BULLSHIT!!
First, no REAL fan would boo him.
Mike
-
I'm sorry....dude just did a very selfish move. I understand wanting to retire and retiring because of all those injuries................but don't tell me he had 0 idea pre-draft. Dude is very smart and educated...He knows what a QB means to a team and Jacoby is a back up....Dude could've rehabbed half the season and be welcomed back with open arms and let everyone know this is his last year. Colts fan had every reason to boo.....
I'm sorry....dude just did a very selfish move. I understand wanting to retire and retiring because of all those injuries................but don't tell me he had 0 idea pre-draft. Dude is very smart and educated...He knows what a QB means to a team and Jacoby is a back up....Dude could've rehabbed half the season and be welcomed back with open arms and let everyone know this is his last year. Colts fan had every reason to boo.....
This is one of the most asinine things I have ever read.
From all reports he suffered the latest injury sometime in April. And it was thought to be a strained calf. Refresh my memory, what month is the Draft?
He went from a minor calf strain to still being out in August. And as HE said, he got tired of injury, pain, rehab repeat. And it got to be so much that he lost the joy to play.
You know one of the FIRST things I say to players I coach? If you don't want to be here/not give it everything then leave now, its actually more dangerous for players not going all out.
But since it is apparently how things and minds are supposed to work, I think it was very selfish of you to not have made this post back in April
-
I don't think that the Colts will be tanking. I think they will turn to Brissette and see if he can be the QB of the future.
He has played pretty well. I don't think that he will be in like the Top 20 QBs in this league, but he can be a starter and play decently. How far they go depends a lot of the quality of the rest of the team.
The Colts HAVE done a lot to put quality players around Luck...now they are going to have to rely on the supporting cast to pull the show together and not the star.
All that being said...Fuck them. Let them lose. Their tank job to get Luck was a despicable display of poor sportsmanship and in a sense was the best example of what can be wrong with the NFL these days.....letting teams tank. Fuck them. Lose. I remember when they had their division sown up, and they were playing someone who the Browns were fighting with for a playoff spot. This was 2007. They tanked that game, denying the Browns a chance to make the playoffs. Refused to play Peyton...instead played like Curtis Painter at QB. It was the worst example of a lack of integrity in the game that I have seen. So, nothing that team suffers breaks my heart....albeit that I did like Luck and thought he could be special. It wasn't against him, but that organization.
He has played pretty well. I don't think that he will be in like the Top 20 QBs in this league, but he can be a starter and play decently. How far they go depends a lot of the quality of the rest of the team.
The Colts HAVE done a lot to put quality players around Luck...now they are going to have to rely on the supporting cast to pull the show together and not the star.
All that being said...Fuck them. Let them lose. Their tank job to get Luck was a despicable display of poor sportsmanship and in a sense was the best example of what can be wrong with the NFL these days.....letting teams tank. Fuck them. Lose. I remember when they had their division sown up, and they were playing someone who the Browns were fighting with for a playoff spot. This was 2007. They tanked that game, denying the Browns a chance to make the playoffs. Refused to play Peyton...instead played like Curtis Painter at QB. It was the worst example of a lack of integrity in the game that I have seen. So, nothing that team suffers breaks my heart....albeit that I did like Luck and thought he could be special. It wasn't against him, but that organization.
Specifically referring to the 2011 season for the Colts and how they got Luck, how was what they did any different than Cleveland going 0-16?
Manning was hurt, so much so that a lot of the league thought he would never play again. He couldn't throw a ball 5 yards.
Don't let your disdain for them or love for Cleveland cloud your view on one vs. other. They had a better coach than Hue for sure, but let's not act as if Caldwell was a great coach. Most teams are going to be pretty bad when they lose one of the best QBs to ever play the game. It's not as if most teams have a situation like Young backing up Montana, Rodgers backing up Favre, or even Foles backing up Wentz.
-
He has played pretty well. I don't think that he will be in like the Top 20 QBs in this league, but he can be a starter and play decently. How far they go depends a lot of the quality of the rest of the team.
The Colts HAVE done a lot to put quality players around Luck...now they are going to have to rely on the supporting cast to pull the show together and not the star.
All that being said...Fuck them. Let them lose. Their tank job to get Luck was a despicable display of poor sportsmanship and in a sense was the best example of what can be wrong with the NFL these days.....letting teams tank. Fuck them. Lose. I remember when they had their division sown up, and they were playing someone who the Browns were fighting with for a playoff spot. This was 2007. They tanked that game, denying the Browns a chance to make the playoffs. Refused to play Peyton...instead played like Curtis Painter at QB. It was the worst example of a lack of integrity in the game that I have seen. So, nothing that team suffers breaks my heart....albeit that I did like Luck and thought he could be special. It wasn't against him, but that organization.
Specifically referring to the 2011 season for the Colts and how they got Luck, how was what they did any different than Cleveland going 0-16?
Manning was hurt, so much so that a lot of the league thought he would never play again. He couldn't throw a ball 5 yards.
Don't let your disdain for them or love for Cleveland cloud your view on one vs. other. They had a better coach than Hue for sure, but let's not act as if Caldwell was a great coach. Most teams are going to be pretty bad when they lose one of the best QBs to ever play the game. It's not as if most teams have a situation like Young backing up Montana, Rodgers backing up Favre, or even Foles backing up Wentz.
Specifically referring to the 2011 season for the Colts and how they got Luck, how was what they did any different than Cleveland going 0-16?
Manning was hurt, so much so that a lot of the league thought he would never play again. He couldn't throw a ball 5 yards.
Don't let your disdain for them or love for Cleveland cloud your view on one vs. other. They had a better coach than Hue for sure, but let's not act as if Caldwell was a great coach. Most teams are going to be pretty bad when they lose one of the best QBs to ever play the game. It's not as if most teams have a situation like Young backing up Montana, Rodgers backing up Favre, or even Foles backing up Wentz.
Difference ? Ok, the dolts were playing to intentionally lose games to acquire the number one pick... Luck. The Browns had a load of high draft picks and were playing to win games.
-
Specifically referring to the 2011 season for the Colts and how they got Luck, how was what they did any different than Cleveland going 0-16?
Manning was hurt, so much so that a lot of the league thought he would never play again. He couldn't throw a ball 5 yards.
Don't let your disdain for them or love for Cleveland cloud your view on one vs. other. They had a better coach than Hue for sure, but let's not act as if Caldwell was a great coach. Most teams are going to be pretty bad when they lose one of the best QBs to ever play the game. It's not as if most teams have a situation like Young backing up Montana, Rodgers backing up Favre, or even Foles backing up Wentz.
Difference ? Ok, the dolts were playing to intentionally lose games to acquire the number one pick... Luck. The Browns had a load of high draft picks and were playing to win games.
Difference ? Ok, the dolts were playing to intentionally lose games to acquire the number one pick... Luck. The Browns had a load of high draft picks and were playing to win games.
Wait, weren't people talking about how they got rid of all these vets?
And exactly how do you quantify that one was trying to lose while the other was trying to win? I DO know that one team won 2 games and the other won 0.
And I will ABSOLUTELY GUARANTEE that players from EITHER that Colts team, that Browns team, or throw in the 0-16 Lions were trying to lose.
-
He has played pretty well. I don't think that he will be in like the Top 20 QBs in this league, but he can be a starter and play decently. How far they go depends a lot of the quality of the rest of the team.
The Colts HAVE done a lot to put quality players around Luck...now they are going to have to rely on the supporting cast to pull the show together and not the star.
All that being said...Fuck them. Let them lose. Their tank job to get Luck was a despicable display of poor sportsmanship and in a sense was the best example of what can be wrong with the NFL these days.....letting teams tank. Fuck them. Lose. I remember when they had their division sown up, and they were playing someone who the Browns were fighting with for a playoff spot. This was 2007. They tanked that game, denying the Browns a chance to make the playoffs. Refused to play Peyton...instead played like Curtis Painter at QB. It was the worst example of a lack of integrity in the game that I have seen. So, nothing that team suffers breaks my heart....albeit that I did like Luck and thought he could be special. It wasn't against him, but that organization.
Specifically referring to the 2011 season for the Colts and how they got Luck, how was what they did any different than Cleveland going 0-16?
Manning was hurt, so much so that a lot of the league thought he would never play again. He couldn't throw a ball 5 yards.
Don't let your disdain for them or love for Cleveland cloud your view on one vs. other. They had a better coach than Hue for sure, but let's not act as if Caldwell was a great coach. Most teams are going to be pretty bad when they lose one of the best QBs to ever play the game. It's not as if most teams have a situation like Young backing up Montana, Rodgers backing up Favre, or even Foles backing up Wentz.
Specifically referring to the 2011 season for the Colts and how they got Luck, how was what they did any different than Cleveland going 0-16?
Because the Colts TRIED to lose games specifically to be able to draft Luck. As bad as the Browns were...I don't think they ever tried to lose. The Browns had a program by which they wanted to obtain draft picks, but they never specifically tried to lose.
Manning was hurt, so much so that a lot of the league thought he would never play again. He couldn't throw a ball 5 yards.
Don't let your disdain for them or love for Cleveland cloud your view on one vs. other.
Don't let your naivetee cloud your judgment.
They had a better coach than Hue for sure, but let's not act as if Caldwell was a great coach.
Didn't Caldwell coach them into a Super Bowl?
Most teams are going to be pretty bad when they lose one of the best QBs to ever play the game. It's not as if most teams have a situation like Young backing up Montana, Rodgers backing up Favre, or even Foles backing up Wentz.
Besides, I am really talking more about the year the Browns had a chance to make the playoffs if the Colts would have taken care of business by beating a bunch of bums after they had already secured their playoff positioning. It was as bad in my mind as a player taking money to tank a game. A total lack of integrity.
Let's put it this way....take last year. The Browns had NO chance to make the playoffs....their season was over really. Yet, they tried their hardest to beat the Ravens and by doing so give the Steelers the division title. What the Colts did would have been the same as if the Browns had said: let's sit Baker, let's sit Chubb, let's sit Garrett...etc. etc. sit all their top line players....and hand the playoff spot to Baltimore. But they did not do that, they had more integrity. The played hard and honestly...and while they came up short, it was not for lack of effort. Indy TANKED the game they played...giving the playoff spot to another team...can't recall who.....and denying it to the Browns.
Fuck them. I am sorry for Luck because he felt he had to do what he did.....but I am NOT sorry for the Colts organization. Not one bit.
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login