Skip to content

***Browns Vs. Titans Game Day Thread***

The Browns Board
277 62 11.7k 1
  • @jiggins7919 said:

    Exactly. Problem is, our defense picked the exact wrong time to be out of position and take atrocious angles in pursuit. I mean, REALLY guys? We scratch and claw our way back into the ugliest game ever and you shit the sheets IMMEDIATELY after we get within 2 on a play they tried to run 3-4 times already?! Ughhhhhhh. 

    As I pointed out way back when I wanted us to take Henry, he has those long strides that fool you into thinking he is slow, but like Eric Dickerson's similar running gait, that just isn't the case. He's very fast when into 6th gear. He fools you into taking wrong angles and that's what we did. Up until that play I was fine with how we had contained him compared to the potential. But he is very dangerous in the second half when you get a little sloppy when tired. Vrabel knows exactly what he has in Henry. His previous HC never understood it.

    @texasag1969 said:

    As I pointed out way back when I wanted us to take Henry, he has those long strides that fool you into thinking he is slow, but like Eric Dickerson's similar running gait, that just isn't the case. He's very fast when into 6th gear. He fools you into taking wrong angles and that's what we did. Up until that play I was fine with how we had contained him compared to the potential. But he is very dangerous in the second half when you get a little sloppy when tired. Vrabel knows exactly what he has in Henry. His previous HC never understood it.

    We didn't take any wrong angles on that play.  No one had an angle to get to him because outside of the linebacker who got put on the ground Greedy was the only player on that half of the field and he was blocked. Henry is a solid back, but your infatuation with him is something else lol. I'll take chubb 10 times out of 10. We just need to not get behind the sticks because of penalties and give him the ball some more. 

  • @dutch-oven said:

    Christmas Day for Browns fans has finally arrived. 

    ... and the turd with a bow tied around it under my TV made me yearn for a lump of coal...

    Major needs...

    • Discipline
    • Discipline
    • Discipline
    • Humility
    • Discipline
    • Time
    • Discipline

    This week will be a major test for Kitch

    And it's not just the penalties... it's also the assignments. Prime example was Kirksey biting on the play fake on Walker's first TD. He left his "zone" to support a run that was well contained... if it had been a run. Walker nicely filled the empty space he left behind.

    On an early sack by Wake... he had inside help from the RG... yet allowed himself to be beaten outside... simply can't happen.

    Screen D...

    More later... including "the good" I saw... which may mean it's a very short post.

    I find all the ref bitchin' to be hilareous...

    @tour2ma said:

    More later... including "the good" I saw... which may mean it's a very short post.

    The Good:

    • Higgins... I was half joking a week or so ago when I said he could have the best season in our WR room.
    • Flashes of Baker... the back shoulder to Landry... the fast ball to Njoku for the TD... so the Baker we love is in there.
    • Chubb... showed the zone-read vision we saw last year.
    • OBJ... saw the Giant the league feared.

    So skill-position-wise... we have what we need.

    I said it'd be a short post, but there's more bad...

    Game plan discipline...

    I really want to see (or do) a formation count. Specifically how much Baker was under Center. I know he was on play #1 and the Hilliyard TD run, but having a hard time remembering other instances. It's where Baker needs to live on 1st and 2nd downs. He is a clever ball faker and starting by turning his back to the D seems to speed his decision process... plus of course the hesitation it creates in the DL gives our OL that little bit of pressure relief that they need.

    This worked early, but my impression is that we went away from it much earlier than the score demanded us to, i.e., the 4th quarter.

    @dutch-oven said:

    Every Browns fan's mock draft next offseason is going to be OLine OT heavy. 

    FIFY... and can you blame them?

    Right now we look like the 2017 NYGs... spent on D... had great skill players... OL s-s-s-s-s-s-s-s-sucked... especially the OTs.

    And who saved then inside??? An over-the-hill cast off named John Greco...

  • My fears for this team heading into this season... 

    - Interior Oline.  Who looked OK today for the most part.

    - Commitment to the running game.   Which Freddie and Monken did a masterful job of shoving their heads up their own asses after the first drive.

    - Having a coaching staff obsessed with their shiny toys. I.E. Baker, ODB, Landry, etc etc.     

    - Forgetting that this team and young QB (emphasis on young) is still at its best when they run the ball, setup playaction, the bootlegs, etc etc... then attack the short to intermediate field.

    - A defense that was left on the field far too long

    - A QB that, once you frustrate him, gets too far in his own head and starts throwing the ball pissed off.  Leading to wild pitches that end up high and into DB's hands.

    Some of these are scheme, others are mentality that aren't easily broken, if at all broken.   Baker throwing that pick to Logan Ryan is InFuckingExcusable.   Part of the Farve mentality I've mentioned on here a few times.   Sure, you may get a big time throw here and there. But there will come a game when it fucks your WHOLE team over because you just haven't met a single throw you didn't like.  

    This team needs a serious Come-To-Jesus moment early.   Style and Flash will never beat passion and substance.   The Jets play quality defense and if this coaching staff doesn't respect the Williams Duo and tries to make Baker do it all, they will turn the ball over and they WILL lose.

    Tennessee flat beat you at your own game today.    They rode the hot hand of their bruising RB, forced the defense to consistently stop them.  They setup their QB for success with play action, some high percentage throws and sprinkled in some creative screen looks.       Thank Christ I took Henry in the 3rd round.  Vrabel has a real weapon on his hands there.     It was nothing short of a fucking clinic as to how the Browns SHOULD have played today. 

    Get this fixed early because this season is very dependent on getting off to a quality start.  The back half of this schedule was pretty unforgiving and so far the 2 other AFCN teams looked pretty damn respectable.  

    @tiamat63 said:

    Part of the Farve mentality I've mentioned on here a few times. 

    So you're the other one... 😉 ... Just one line from a great post.

    Serious question, tia... did you see any "quit" today?

  • Credit to Coach Vrabel and staff for having their team ready.

    A lot of what they did to protect their tackle situation and shaky QB play were things I expected to see from our own staff.

    Tennessee might have a hell of a coach who is a QB away from bringing them some playoff wins.

  • @tiamat63 said:

    Part of the Farve mentality I've mentioned on here a few times. 

    So you're the other one... 😉 ... Just one line from a great post.

    Serious question, tia... did you see any "quit" today?

    @tour2ma said:

    So you're the other one... 😉 ... Just one line from a great post.

    Serious question, tia... did you see any "quit" today?

    Not quit per-se.    But I did see a "fuck it, let's see what happens" from Baker a time or two. 

    And towards the end, saw a few of the boys on defense protecting themselves and perhaps not giving -100%.    Couldn't blame them either.

    But I'm combing through memories while the beer started flowing. Hoping to get a more clear 2nd look sometime in the middle of the week.

    The lack of work from under center on the early downs as the game went on was something I mentioned to a friend.  Glad you brought that up as well.

  • sorry, I'll just repost my post from the "panic mode" thread.

    ***********************************************

    sorry, I see that as wrong.Kitchens is the PERFECT coach to be Coach of the Browns. The players fought for a half, it was close - but game time is different - timing is different - and the Teets played like they were po'd at the attention and hype the Browns have been getting. and their defense

      As far as "over-hyped"...sure...that is what the media does. But the changes to the Browns and their success the last third of last season does deserve some serious attention.

        The Kardiac Kids, 1980, lost the first two games of their season. They ended up 11-6. Even week 12, they got hammered by the bungles.

        The Browns lost their composure - the defense was being held like crazy, and the offense was being overrun. And don't anybody tell me there weren't non-calls and calls that benefitted the teets. The OPI on OBJ was a huge example. Their oline got away with a lot of crap that should have been called. Not so much on the Browns offensive line. I'm just sayin what I'm seein. Our LT Robinson got shoved down well after the play was over, NO CALL. The teet that shoved him seemed to be going after him again, and Robinson got po'd and put his foot up to his head to stop him, still on the ground, immediate call of UC and ejection of Robinson.

        There are different examples the Browns suffer this crap. I believe some other teams see it, and bait the Browns, some of the Browns don't handle it well.

       That will change.

    Anyways...in 1980, the Browns went 11-6, but lost their first two games. And their first game they got hammered by the Patriots.

    It's a long season. We'll see how it goes, but judging by the first game is just not valid. I'm concerned about the oline, but still, the Browns didn't have one of the best olines back then either. They will adapt.

    1 September 7, 1980 at New England Patriots L 34–17 49,222 0–1
    2 September 15, 1980 Houston Oilers L 16–7 80,243 0–2
    3 September 21, 1980 Kansas City Chiefs W 20–13 63,614 1–2
    4 September 28, 1980 at Tampa Bay Buccaneers W 34–27 65,540 2–2
    5 October 5, 1980 Denver Broncos L 19–16 81,065 2–3
    6 October 12, 1980 at Seattle Seahawks W 27–3 61,366 3–3
    7 October 19, 1980 Green Bay Packers W 26–21 75,548 4–3
    8 October 26, 1980 Pittsburgh Steelers W 27–26 79,095 5–3
    9 November 3, 1980 Chicago Bears W 27–21 84,225 6–3
    10 November 9, 1980 at Baltimore Colts W 28–27 45,369 7–3
    11 November 16, 1980 at Pittsburgh Steelers L 16–13 54,563 7–4
    12 November 23, 1980 Cincinnati Bengals W 31–7 79,253 8–4
    13 November 30, 1980 at Houston Oilers W 17–14 51,514 9–4
    14 December 7, 1980 New York Jets W 17–14 78,454 10–4
    15 December 14, 1980 at Minnesota Vikings L 28–23 42,202 10–5
    16 December 21, 1980 at Cincinnati Bengals W 27–24 50,058 11–5
  • I get as upset as anyone at the bad officiating in the NFL and the Browns seem to get more than their share of bad calls but it is something all the NFL teams have to deal with and I won't use it as an excuse for losing. The good teams learn to deal with it and overcome it and that is what we must do and not lose our composure when it happens but to stay disciplined and focused. 

  • @texasag1969 said:

    As I pointed out way back when I wanted us to take Henry, he has those long strides that fool you into thinking he is slow, but like Eric Dickerson's similar running gait, that just isn't the case. He's very fast when into 6th gear. He fools you into taking wrong angles and that's what we did. Up until that play I was fine with how we had contained him compared to the potential. But he is very dangerous in the second half when you get a little sloppy when tired. Vrabel knows exactly what he has in Henry. His previous HC never understood it.

    We didn't take any wrong angles on that play.  No one had an angle to get to him because outside of the linebacker who got put on the ground Greedy was the only player on that half of the field and he was blocked. Henry is a solid back, but your infatuation with him is something else lol. I'll take chubb 10 times out of 10. We just need to not get behind the sticks because of penalties and give him the ball some more. 

    @bjh2130 said:

    Henry is a solid back, but your infatuation with him is something else lol.

    What infatuation? You mean the one that says we took Coleman and Ogbah while leaving him there for the Titans to use to tromp all over us? ??That one??

    EDIT: The one that called this happening all summer??

  • Calfox said it best, the refs are a lame excuse but it was evident the Tits weren’t getting nearly as fucked on calls as the browns were. 20 penalties is ridiculous when the other team had only 3

  • Calfox said it best, the refs are a lame excuse but it was evident the Tits weren’t getting nearly as fucked on calls as the browns were. 20 penalties is ridiculous when the other team had only 3

    @typicalbrowns50 said:

    Calfox said it best, the refs are a lame excuse but it was evident the Tits weren’t getting nearly as fucked on calls as the browns were. 20 penalties is ridiculous when the other team had only 3

    Not if your team keeps fucking up badly. And they were.

  • Youth and chemistry. We have youth, we don’t have chemistry. It will take some time. New players in a new scheme together. It ain’t that simple. 

    Lets not all blame Kitchens now ?

  • I have to say that what infuriated me the most was Baker holding the ball too long. Some of the sacks were well beyond 3-4 seconds after the snap. I don't know if had to do with the playcalls and the routes being too long (thats a Hueish mistake) or him playing the hero. 

    I also noticed how he almost exclusively played under center when we ran the ball, and even in some empty backfield formations from the shotgun. 

    I said it before the game and I still think the same. The more we balance our offense between rushes and passes, the more we will succeed, as we got weapons for both those playing styles and no defense can cover them both simultaneously.

  • @typicalbrowns50 said:

    Calfox said it best, the refs are a lame excuse but it was evident the Tits weren’t getting nearly as fucked on calls as the browns were. 20 penalties is ridiculous when the other team had only 3

    Not if your team keeps fucking up badly. And they were.

    @texasag1969 said:

    Not if your team keeps fucking up badly. And they were.

    stop blaming the fucking refs....our team deserved a high percentage of those calls.....they sucked....end of story...fucking players kicking the opposition in the head...guess that was a b ad call also....the only call i saw that was bad was the qb sack on baker as he was not nearly in the grasp...they could have even called more penalties on the clowns...i saw them get away with some that were not called.on top of the ones that were....the coaches deserve alot of blame for a hugh lack of discipline...hugh lack of....

  • This is about the most apt representation of fans emotions from kickoff until that Henry throwback screen.

  • Calfox said it best, the refs are a lame excuse but it was evident the Tits weren’t getting nearly as fucked on calls as the browns were. 20 penalties is ridiculous when the other team had only 3

    @typicalbrowns50 said:

    Calfox said it best, the refs are a lame excuse but it was evident the Tits weren’t getting nearly as fucked on calls as the browns were. 20 penalties is ridiculous when the other team had only 3

    One team was prepared.

    One team was not. 

  • Correct Dutch. Kitchens is at fault for that

  • @typicalbrowns50 said:

    Calfox said it best, the refs are a lame excuse but it was evident the Tits weren’t getting nearly as fucked on calls as the browns were. 20 penalties is ridiculous when the other team had only 3

    One team was prepared.

    One team was not. 

    @dutch-oven said:

    One team was prepared.

    One team was not. 

    One team was doing an awful lot of commercials, promotions and online stuff.

    I guess we will find out Monday night who is ready to get their heads back into football.

  • @dutch-oven said:

    One team was prepared.

    One team was not. 

    One team was doing an awful lot of commercials, promotions and online stuff.

    I guess we will find out Monday night who is ready to get their heads back into football.

    @mjp28 said:

    One team was doing an awful lot of commercials, promotions and online stuff.

    I guess we will find out Monday night who is ready to get their heads back into football.

    But BAKER IS THE COOLEST BECAUSE HE SHOTGUNNED A BEER! WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! ?

  • I have to say that what infuriated me the most was Baker holding the ball too long. Some of the sacks were well beyond 3-4 seconds after the snap. I don't know if had to do with the playcalls and the routes being too long (thats a Hueish mistake) or him playing the hero. 

    I also noticed how he almost exclusively played under center when we ran the ball, and even in some empty backfield formations from the shotgun. 

    I said it before the game and I still think the same. The more we balance our offense between rushes and passes, the more we will succeed, as we got weapons for both those playing styles and no defense can cover them both simultaneously.

    @nero said:

    I have to say that what infuriated me the most was Baker holding the ball too long. Some of the sacks were well beyond 3-4 seconds after the snap. I don't know if had to do with the playcalls and the routes being too long (thats a Hueish mistake) or him playing the hero. 

    I also noticed how he almost exclusively played under center when we ran the ball, and even in some empty backfield formations from the shotgun. 

    I said it before the game and I still think the same. The more we balance our offense between rushes and passes, the more we will succeed, as we got weapons for both those playing styles and no defense can cover them both simultaneously.

    Playing calling and coaching are Baker's best friend but he doesn't always listen

  • Sticking to the "refs not calling as much penalties on the Titans" is like trying to fight for your 5% of reason in a discussion. The blame is on us.