Skip to content

WEEK 2 - BROWNS 2.5 point early favorite at the NY Jets week 2 & a brief history of MNF!

The Browns Board
45 13 1.5k
  • I think the worry on this game is that GW is going to do what he can to make the Browns lose their composure early and often. He knows the team and what buttons to push. 

    Tour2maT Tour2ma wrote on last edited by
    #14

    @flyingfooldoug said:

    I think the worry on this game is that GW is going to do what he can to make the Browns lose their composure early and often. He knows the team and what buttons to push. 

    And Gregg's worry is that CJ got dinged Week 1...

  • That's absolutely crazy. We looked cataclysmic today in virtually every aspect of the game, and while it's only one game, what makes people think we're actually a decent team? Penalties don't just go away, and we're in total deep shit right now. I can't imagine we'd be favored on the road, but hey, you never know. Jets game can't get here soon enough. 

    B browns52 wrote on last edited by
    #15

    @jiggins7919 said:

    That's absolutely crazy. We looked cataclysmic today in virtually every aspect of the game, and while it's only one game, what makes people think we're actually a decent team? Penalties don't just go away, and we're in total deep shit right now. I can't imagine we'd be favored on the road, but hey, you never know. Jets game can't get here soon enough. 

    jets suck too, by 2.5 points....thats why....

  • How many of you remember the very first ABC MNF game verses the Namath led Super Bowl champion NEW YORK JETS and our CLEVELAND BROWNS?

    Namath was starting to show his years and the battered up knees but still hung around for awhile and the BROWNS fans packed the Old Muni with upwards of 80,000 fans and were still considered contenders and a top 5 NFL team.

    It was quite a time in football and American history.

    Screenshot_2019-09-10_072128.jpg

    B browns52 wrote on last edited by
    #16

    @mjp28 said:

    How many of you remember the very first ABC MNF game verses the Namath led Super Bowl champion NEW YORK JETS and our CLEVELAND BROWNS?

    Namath was starting to show his years and the battered up knees but still hung around for awhile and the BROWNS fans packed the Old Muni with upwards of 80,000 fans and were still considered contenders and a top 5 NFL team.

    It was quite a time in football and American history.

    Screenshot_2019-09-10_072128.jpg

    leroy kelly baby....the good ol days....

  • How many of you remember the very first ABC MNF game verses the Namath led Super Bowl champion NEW YORK JETS and our CLEVELAND BROWNS?

    Namath was starting to show his years and the battered up knees but still hung around for awhile and the BROWNS fans packed the Old Muni with upwards of 80,000 fans and were still considered contenders and a top 5 NFL team.

    It was quite a time in football and American history.

    Screenshot_2019-09-10_072128.jpg

    hoortaH hoorta wrote on last edited by
    #17

    @mjp28 said:

    How many of you remember the very first ABC MNF game verses the Namath led Super Bowl champion NEW YORK JETS and our CLEVELAND BROWNS?

    Namath was starting to show his years and the battered up knees but still hung around for awhile and the BROWNS fans packed the Old Muni with upwards of 80,000 fans and were still considered contenders and a top 5 NFL team.

    It was quite a time in football and American history.

    Screenshot_2019-09-10_072128.jpg

    One of the many historic Browns games I can say I was in the stands for.....  

  • DieHardBrownsFanD DieHardBrownsFan wrote on last edited by
    #18

    I remember watching the game at home.  I was 16.

  • @jiggins7919 said:

    That's absolutely crazy. We looked cataclysmic today in virtually every aspect of the game, and while it's only one game, what makes people think we're actually a decent team? Penalties don't just go away, and we're in total deep shit right now. I can't imagine we'd be favored on the road, but hey, you never know. Jets game can't get here soon enough. 

    jets suck too, by 2.5 points....thats why....

    jiggins7919J jiggins7919 wrote on last edited by
    #19

    @browns52 said:

    jets suck too, by 2.5 points....thats why....

    The Jets remind me very much of the Titans, but likely a poor man's version. They're going to ugly the game up, create turnovers, and keep it close. Both teams are literally in a must win situation to save their seasons, and our schedule doesn't get much easier. 

    Now, I'm NOT going to be the "sky is falling" fan. Nobody likes that guy (believe me, I know), but I will say that we've got huge problems on our OL, and I don't trust our kicker. We're going to have to win a close game, as I don't see a way to score a bunch of points like so many predicted before the season. The penalties won't go away and we know Greg Robinson is targeted by the officials. We legitimately struggle in pass protection, and we had 3 designed deep shots last game with an open OBJ streaking down the field but Baker didn't have time to cut it loose. 

    Did anybody see the first half of the Raiders' game? THAT'S how you pass block. Our offense won't move the ball if we can't block, and Hubbard is absolutely killing us. Can we turn it all around? Of course, it's ONE game, but damn it all if it didn't feel like more. We royally shit the sheets at HOME and worst of all, we lost our composure and quit. It's very frustrating when it seems like every penalty is going against you, and the Titans got just about every break, but you can't lose it like that. It's unacceptable and they should have apologized to the fans. 

    Obviously I'm not giving up on the team or any crap like that, but we have real problems that need to be fixed quickly. In a way, this loss could be the best thing to happen us. It might completely refocus us and show us just how hard we have to work. It's going to be such a long week, but if we can't figure out how to protect Baker, he's going to get hurt and that's going to be that. 

  • I remember watching the game at home.  I was 16.

    mjp28M mjp28 wrote on last edited by
    #20

    @diehardbrownsfan said:

    I remember watching the game at home.  I was 16.

    One week before my 20th birthday, watched it at Tony's Hideaway bar by the YSU campus at the auxillary bar with TV they set up to watch the game.  Great times.

  • @diehardbrownsfan said:

    I remember watching the game at home.  I was 16.

    One week before my 20th birthday, watched it at Tony's Hideaway bar by the YSU campus at the auxillary bar with TV they set up to watch the game.  Great times.

    jiggins7919J jiggins7919 wrote on last edited by
    #21

    @mjp28 said:

    One week before my 20th birthday, watched it at Tony's Hideaway bar by the YSU campus at the auxillary bar with TV they set up to watch the game.  Great times.

    I love hearing about these old memories. My dad and uncle told me they had to drive out of town to get a hotel room for the Browns last championship game because it was blacked out. Crazy! 

    I kind of think this game being on a Monday doesn't really do us any favors. You KNOW we're chomping at the bit to get back out there, and this also gives two major Jet players time to get healthy. I don't know if you saw their game, but everything changed when star LB CJ Mosley went out. His injury isn't serious, but his availability is up in the air. I would BET he'll play just knowing him, but if he doesn't, that is a crushing blow to them. 

  • jrb12711J jrb12711 wrote on last edited by
    #22

    Sam Darnold is a surprise "out" against us Monday Night with mono. Spread is sure to move our way a bit more. Trevor Siemian is their back-up.

  • Sam Darnold is a surprise "out" against us Monday Night with mono. Spread is sure to move our way a bit more. Trevor Siemian is their back-up.

    T TexasAg1969 wrote on last edited by TexasAg1969
    #23

    @jrb12711 said:

    Sam Darnold is a surprise "out" against us Monday Night with mono. Spread is sure to move our way a bit more. Trevor Siemian is their back-up.

    Also Le'Veon Bell getting an MRI on his shoulder.

  • Sam Darnold is a surprise "out" against us Monday Night with mono. Spread is sure to move our way a bit more. Trevor Siemian is their back-up.

    mjp28M mjp28 wrote on last edited by mjp28
    #24

    @jrb12711 said:

    Sam Darnold is a surprise "out" against us Monday Night with mono. Spread is sure to move our way a bit more. Trevor Siemian is their back-up.

    Just in one book I saw has jumped it to CLE -6.5 and dropped the O/U to 42.5.

    Screenshot_2019-09-12_112242.jpg

  • @jrb12711 said:

    Sam Darnold is a surprise "out" against us Monday Night with mono. Spread is sure to move our way a bit more. Trevor Siemian is their back-up.

    Just in one book I saw has jumped it to CLE -6.5 and dropped the O/U to 42.5.

    Screenshot_2019-09-12_112242.jpg

    jrb12711J jrb12711 wrote on last edited by
    #25

    @mjp28 said:

    Just in one book I saw has jumped it to CLE -6.5 and dropped the O/U to 42.5.

    Screenshot_2019-09-12_112242.jpg

    Those people who bought -2.5 must be excited!

  • @mjp28 said:

    Just in one book I saw has jumped it to CLE -6.5 and dropped the O/U to 42.5.

    Screenshot_2019-09-12_112242.jpg

    Those people who bought -2.5 must be excited!

    mjp28M mjp28 wrote on last edited by
    #26

    @jrb12711 said:

    Those people who bought -2.5 must be excited!

    Oh yes!  😁

  • Tour2maT Tour2ma wrote on last edited by
    #27

    Plus the Yahoo line stayed at -2.5...

    Really the only line I care about. 😎

  • jiggins7919J jiggins7919 wrote on last edited by
    #28

    Man, I wouldn't touch this game on a bet with someone else's money. On paper, I can make a solid argument that we should win. I don't see how the Jets are going to sustain enough drives to put enough points on the board, and scoring in the red zone is tough for STARTING QBS, let alone backups. I foresee us holding them to FG's, and also forcing a turnover or two. Maybe a 10-7 lead at the half, and a final game score of something like 23-13.

    HOWEVER...the NFL is very strange. Backup QBs blow up ALL time. Home crowds can really help,and believe it or not, the Browns are fighting through just being the Browns. I know that's not very scientific, but let's be real for a moment. 

    I'm extremely interested to see how this game shakes out, and when I say interested, I mean terrified. Lol. It's just so funny how you can't predict a single thing, and it would be no big deal for Jets defense to score a touchdown or two. It's what they do. 

    But you know what, it's a Monday night game and it's going to be fun. I'm definitely thinking an ugly type game, but I've been wrong before. I don't care how ugly it is as long as we win and Baker survives! Haha

  • Plus the Yahoo line stayed at -2.5...

    Really the only line I care about. 😎

    hoortaH hoorta wrote on last edited by
    #29

    @tour2ma said:

    Plus the Yahoo line stayed at -2.5...

    Really the only line I care about. 😎

    For how long Tour? Like there's not going to be heavy betting on the Browns with that line?  

  • @jiggins7919 said:

    That's absolutely crazy. We looked cataclysmic today in virtually every aspect of the game, and while it's only one game, what makes people think we're actually a decent team? Penalties don't just go away, and we're in total deep shit right now. I can't imagine we'd be favored on the road, but hey, you never know. Jets game can't get here soon enough. 

    jets suck too, by 2.5 points....thats why....

    medicinemanM medicineman wrote on last edited by
    #30

    @browns52 said:

    jets suck too, by 2.5 points....thats why....

    The home team gets close to 3 points (I think it is like 2.7777) and to have us on the road and getting the 3 and now the 3 is doubled? Sounds like  a trap game. I hope I am wrong but sounds like if you take the Jets and get a easy payday. Besides many have said for years that the NFL is fixed by Vegas and the Refs always seem to have a hard on for us. 

  • @browns52 said:

    jets suck too, by 2.5 points....thats why....

    The home team gets close to 3 points (I think it is like 2.7777) and to have us on the road and getting the 3 and now the 3 is doubled? Sounds like  a trap game. I hope I am wrong but sounds like if you take the Jets and get a easy payday. Besides many have said for years that the NFL is fixed by Vegas and the Refs always seem to have a hard on for us. 

    mjp28M mjp28 wrote on last edited by mjp28
    #31

    @medicineman said:

    The home team gets close to 3 points (I think it is like 2.7777) and to have us on the road and getting the 3 and now the 3 is doubled? Sounds like  a trap game. I hope I am wrong but sounds like if you take the Jets and get a easy payday. Besides many have said for years that the NFL is fixed by Vegas and the Refs always seem to have a hard on for us. 

    The home field advantage has always been 2-3 points for a hundred years and it is more or less in rare occasions nothing more than that.

    Lines are set by oddsmakers based on the teams strengths and weaknesses and move on how people bet to even the betting pool, they like it 50/50 if possible so the sports books do not lose money. 

  • I Icecube wrote on last edited by
    #32

    Only 2.5? Wow. I assumed it would be closer to 7, with all the key injuries for NY. 

  • Take Dallas and give away the points. They and NE are the class of the NFL.

    I Icecube wrote on last edited by
    #33

    @texasag1969 said:

    Take Dallas and give away the points. They and NE are the class of the NFL.

    Soooooo, Balt. and KC are chopped liver?