Skip to content

***Jets VS Browns Gameday Thread***

The Browns Board
201 39 6.2k 1
  • As soon as Baker and Offensive Coaching staff understand that OBJ, Landry, Chubb and Hunt in a couple months are YAC maniacs and you don’t need to feed the ball to them 20-30 yards down the field.  Things will look better.  Right now Baker is attempting 20 tough throws a game probably 10-12 more than most QBs in the NFL

    food for thought 

  • As soon as Baker and Offensive Coaching staff understand that OBJ, Landry, Chubb and Hunt in a couple months are YAC maniacs and you don’t need to feed the ball to them 20-30 yards down the field.  Things will look better.  Right now Baker is attempting 20 tough throws a game probably 10-12 more than most QBs in the NFL

    food for thought 

    @sdbacker80 said:

    As soon as Baker and Offensive Coaching staff understand that OBJ, Landry, Chubb and Hunt in a couple months are YAC maniacs and you don’t need to feed the ball to them 20-30 yards down the field.  Things will look better. 

    The 89 yard TD wasn’t YAC? A lot of the short throws were guarded very well by NY. Screens didn’t work much. There were certainly “short” throws last night. 

    Edit: Baker missed open  Chubb out of the backfield forcing it to OBJ and getting picked off as a result 

  • @tour2ma said:

    We need the Baker of 2018... the QB that lead a team with no hope of playoff contention with abandon.

    Easier to say than to do, but he he doesn't loosen/lighten up, then we aren't going anywhere.

    True, but I think Baker is playing different because he knows there are more limitations with his offensive line. Every qb that gets big pressure has it usually affect his play. I think Kitchens needs to call more short throws and Baker needs to not force the big long gains that he's used to.

       Depends on the defense they face, I suppose. Williams' defense is pretty good and stopping the rush....?

    @calfoxwc said:

    True, but I think Baker is playing different because he knows there are more limitations with his offensive line. Every qb that gets big pressure has it usually affect his play. I think Kitchens needs to call more short throws and Baker needs to not force the big long gains that he's used to.

       Depends on the defense they face, I suppose. Williams' defense is pretty good and stopping the rush....?

    Dan Orlovsky (who I respect) wouldn't stop talking about the lack of rhythm the Browns had on offense. He said we constantly hiked the ball with 1 second on play clock with Baker frantically clapping his hands for the ball. Also, we didn't appear very effective with the empty backfield. Baker simply wouldn't cut it loose. 

    My biggest worries are Baker missing easy passes and Baker holding onto it. How about that one to Landry? It was a 2 yard route and Baker threw high. It went off Landry's hands and could've been a pick 6. It was an easy pass that would've generated an easy first. 

  • Baker, something that I noticed:

    The running back (or short receiver) can be wide open 5-7 yards downfield....but Baker wants the big type gainer....so he doesn't throw it to him.  But by the time he concludes that the deeper pass isn't going to be there, the short receiver is covered.  If he would just take what the D is giving him the team would be a lot better off.

  • from what I'm reading..here's my 2 cents that might be worth a penny..   Meet the new guy that prefers larger chunk plays than dinking down the field..  https://www.dawgsbynature.com/2019/5/10/18512991/what-to-expect-from-todd-monken-stat-overview  or https://www.patreon.com/posts/how-will-todd-23961759   we just played 2 DC's that knew our dink offensive passing game..adding these new concepts to Freddie's offense may take more than 2 games..       

  • @calfoxwc said:

    True, but I think Baker is playing different because he knows there are more limitations with his offensive line. Every qb that gets big pressure has it usually affect his play. I think Kitchens needs to call more short throws and Baker needs to not force the big long gains that he's used to.

       Depends on the defense they face, I suppose. Williams' defense is pretty good and stopping the rush....?

    Dan Orlovsky (who I respect) wouldn't stop talking about the lack of rhythm the Browns had on offense. He said we constantly hiked the ball with 1 second on play clock with Baker frantically clapping his hands for the ball. Also, we didn't appear very effective with the empty backfield. Baker simply wouldn't cut it loose. 

    My biggest worries are Baker missing easy passes and Baker holding onto it. How about that one to Landry? It was a 2 yard route and Baker threw high. It went off Landry's hands and could've been a pick 6. It was an easy pass that would've generated an easy first. 

    @jiggins7919 said:

    Dan Orlovsky (who I respect) wouldn't stop talking about the lack of rhythm the Browns had on offense. He said we constantly hiked the ball with 1 second on play clock with Baker frantically clapping his hands for the ball. Also, we didn't appear very effective with the empty backfield. Baker simply wouldn't cut it loose. 

    My biggest worries are Baker missing easy passes and Baker holding onto it. How about that one to Landry? It was a 2 yard route and Baker threw high. It went off Landry's hands and could've been a pick 6. It was an easy pass that would've generated an easy first. 

    I noticed the consistent down to the wire snapping of the ball from us but sorta saw it as a feather in the cap sort of thing. Manipulating every second. There was at least one time the play clock hit zero and the refs didn’t see in time to flag it. 

    But yeah, something seems amiss with Baker. And good observation in your other post about Baker favoring the long ball, but he just ain’t pulling the trigger fast enough.

    He’s missing high, and he doesn't seem to trust his off speed stuff.

  • @sdbacker80 said:

    As soon as Baker and Offensive Coaching staff understand that OBJ, Landry, Chubb and Hunt in a couple months are YAC maniacs and you don’t need to feed the ball to them 20-30 yards down the field.  Things will look better. 

    The 89 yard TD wasn’t YAC? A lot of the short throws were guarded very well by NY. Screens didn’t work much. There were certainly “short” throws last night. 

    Edit: Baker missed open  Chubb out of the backfield forcing it to OBJ and getting picked off as a result 

    @clevelandwantsplayoffs said:

    The 89 yard TD wasn’t YAC? A lot of the short throws were guarded very well by NY. Screens didn’t work much. There were certainly “short” throws last night. 

    Edit: Baker missed open  Chubb out of the backfield forcing it to OBJ and getting picked off as a result 

    And the OBJ TD play worked right?  The other screen to Chubb was set up well but one of their DTs made an excellent play. We have a luxury of simplifying the route tree.  When you have better athletes on the perimeter (for once) the five yard curl (easy throw) can net you a first down or a bigger play with some of the guys we have.  Watch the DBs on OBJ he has had a huge cushion the last two weeks.  Simple high percentage throws that don’t have to go between a second and third level of defenders.  We can make it easier and still take a few shots down field.  But this take shots down field and occasionally check down to the shorter route it’s not high percentage football

  • @clevelandwantsplayoffs said:

    The 89 yard TD wasn’t YAC? A lot of the short throws were guarded very well by NY. Screens didn’t work much. There were certainly “short” throws last night. 

    Edit: Baker missed open  Chubb out of the backfield forcing it to OBJ and getting picked off as a result 

    And the OBJ TD play worked right?  The other screen to Chubb was set up well but one of their DTs made an excellent play. We have a luxury of simplifying the route tree.  When you have better athletes on the perimeter (for once) the five yard curl (easy throw) can net you a first down or a bigger play with some of the guys we have.  Watch the DBs on OBJ he has had a huge cushion the last two weeks.  Simple high percentage throws that don’t have to go between a second and third level of defenders.  We can make it easier and still take a few shots down field.  But this take shots down field and occasionally check down to the shorter route it’s not high percentage football

    @sdbacker80 said:

     But this take shots down field and occasionally check down to the shorter route it’s not high percentage football

    I'm a little shocked we don't get that buttonhook to Landry 4-5 times a game. He gets a giant cushion and it's pretty simple to make that toss. Perhaps we really are just figuring it out. 

    I'm also hoping we can run the ball better. We don't hardly try to run on 3rd and short, and last night was a textbook Nick Chubb game, but he never really got cooking save the one TD. Let's get it all working this Sunday and beat down a good team on national tv! 

  • One thing that stood out to me last night was Garrett's demeanor. I have not seen him play with such intensity to really run through people rather than just bring them down. I think he was trying to make an emphatic statement to Williams that he really could have done better last year without a muzzle on his playing options. I believe he made his point to all of us.

  • One thing that stood out to me last night was Garrett's demeanor. I have not seen him play with such intensity to really run through people rather than just bring them down. I think he was trying to make an emphatic statement to Williams that he really could have done better last year without a muzzle on his playing options. I believe he made his point to all of us.

    @texasag1969 said:

    One thing that stood out to me last night was Garrett's demeanor. I have not seen him play with such intensity to really run through people rather than just bring them down. I think he was trying to make an emphatic statement to Williams that he really could have done better last year without a muzzle on his playing options. I believe he made his point to all of us.

    Here's what I like about Myles right now.....and I know the penalties are bad(baaaad myles, baaaad).....but I love him creaming these guys.....relentless......and here are the reasons why...

    1) I was concerned he could be a lil soft, w/o killer instincts....

    2) I didnt know, for sure, that he REALLY wanted to be great and put in the effort....

    3) With his intellect, I had concerns how much he wnated or needed football....

    And now I see he aint soft....he's giving 110% effort....he wants it baaaad......and he is striking fear into opposing QB's and teams in general....and the fouls just add to the fear factor.....Im all in 100%!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

  • @texasag1969 said:

    One thing that stood out to me last night was Garrett's demeanor. I have not seen him play with such intensity to really run through people rather than just bring them down. I think he was trying to make an emphatic statement to Williams that he really could have done better last year without a muzzle on his playing options. I believe he made his point to all of us.

    Here's what I like about Myles right now.....and I know the penalties are bad(baaaad myles, baaaad).....but I love him creaming these guys.....relentless......and here are the reasons why...

    1) I was concerned he could be a lil soft, w/o killer instincts....

    2) I didnt know, for sure, that he REALLY wanted to be great and put in the effort....

    3) With his intellect, I had concerns how much he wnated or needed football....

    And now I see he aint soft....he's giving 110% effort....he wants it baaaad......and he is striking fear into opposing QB's and teams in general....and the fouls just add to the fear factor.....Im all in 100%!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    @mudfly said:

    Here's what I like about Myles right now.....and I know the penalties are bad(baaaad myles, baaaad).....but I love him creaming these guys.....relentless......and here are the reasons why...

    1) I was concerned he could be a lil soft, w/o killer instincts....

    2) I didnt know, for sure, that he REALLY wanted to be great and put in the effort....

    3) With his intellect, I had concerns how much he wnated or needed football....

    And now I see he aint soft....he's giving 110% effort....he wants it baaaad......and he is striking fear into opposing QB's and teams in general....and the fouls just add to the fear factor.....Im all in 100%!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    I also questioned Myle's tenacity previously thinking he may be too laid back, but I LOVE the way he played last night. He showed he has some MEAN in his game!!

    Mike

  • I think his MMA training unlocked a beast in him. Just have to keep it focused. A lot of the personal fouls are also very judgment based on the refs part. 

  • @clevelandwantsplayoffs said:

    The 89 yard TD wasn’t YAC? A lot of the short throws were guarded very well by NY. Screens didn’t work much. There were certainly “short” throws last night. 

    Edit: Baker missed open  Chubb out of the backfield forcing it to OBJ and getting picked off as a result 

    And the OBJ TD play worked right?  The other screen to Chubb was set up well but one of their DTs made an excellent play. We have a luxury of simplifying the route tree.  When you have better athletes on the perimeter (for once) the five yard curl (easy throw) can net you a first down or a bigger play with some of the guys we have.  Watch the DBs on OBJ he has had a huge cushion the last two weeks.  Simple high percentage throws that don’t have to go between a second and third level of defenders.  We can make it easier and still take a few shots down field.  But this take shots down field and occasionally check down to the shorter route it’s not high percentage football

    @sdbacker80 said:

    And the OBJ TD play worked right?  The other screen to Chubb was set up well but one of their DTs made an excellent play. We have a luxury of simplifying the route tree.  When you have better athletes on the perimeter (for once) the five yard curl (easy throw) can net you a first down 

    Then why complain? ...

    There were plenty of short throws that went nowhere and screens. The offense was basically getting practice reps in as Jets were hopeless with third stringer QB

  • The Jets actually had the ball longer than we did.    (...just checked out the game book)

    OBJ was targeted 10 times (6 catches).  Landry 7 targets (3 catches)

    TE's targeted 3 times with 1 measly 4 yard catch.   It is THIS position (along with Higgins) that was supposed to flourish with OBJ & Landry on the field.  Higgins didn't suit up and Njoku was lost early in the game.  Higgins' replacement chipped in with a couple of 20+ yard receptions (Ratley) but it is Higgins that Baker developed a 'feel' for when he arrived in Cleveland.  Ratley was  hurt (again).

    Basically, we were without two weapons. 

    At TE, without Njoku, we're without a TE to throw to.  At least that's the way it looks right now.  You'd be tempted to want DeValve back, but really, he was just a tall lumbering lug who couldn't stay out of the medical tent.  We'll probably set TE as a mini-priority in next year's draft.

    ------------

    Freddie:

    I didn't like the idea of going for it on 4th down.  Fortunately, we benefited from a defensive penalty to convert one.  And Freddie was only bluffing on the two other 4th down plays.   The Jets were crippled.  We should've kept punting them deep in their end (which is what we did).  BTW, Hue was too dumb to try and draw a D offsides on 4th down.

    I didn't understand all of the passing in the closing minutes of the game.  I mean, why put Baker in position to get injured with a 20 point lead on a team with a crippled offense?  It didn't make sense to me.  We should've been running the ball and punting if we had to.  

  • The Jets actually had the ball longer than we did.    (...just checked out the game book)

    OBJ was targeted 10 times (6 catches).  Landry 7 targets (3 catches)

    TE's targeted 3 times with 1 measly 4 yard catch.   It is THIS position (along with Higgins) that was supposed to flourish with OBJ & Landry on the field.  Higgins didn't suit up and Njoku was lost early in the game.  Higgins' replacement chipped in with a couple of 20+ yard receptions (Ratley) but it is Higgins that Baker developed a 'feel' for when he arrived in Cleveland.  Ratley was  hurt (again).

    Basically, we were without two weapons. 

    At TE, without Njoku, we're without a TE to throw to.  At least that's the way it looks right now.  You'd be tempted to want DeValve back, but really, he was just a tall lumbering lug who couldn't stay out of the medical tent.  We'll probably set TE as a mini-priority in next year's draft.

    ------------

    Freddie:

    I didn't like the idea of going for it on 4th down.  Fortunately, we benefited from a defensive penalty to convert one.  And Freddie was only bluffing on the two other 4th down plays.   The Jets were crippled.  We should've kept punting them deep in their end (which is what we did).  BTW, Hue was too dumb to try and draw a D offsides on 4th down.

    I didn't understand all of the passing in the closing minutes of the game.  I mean, why put Baker in position to get injured with a 20 point lead on a team with a crippled offense?  It didn't make sense to me.  We should've been running the ball and punting if we had to.  

    @orion said:

    The Jets actually had the ball longer than we did.    (...just checked out the game book)

    OBJ was targeted 10 times (6 catches).  Landry 7 targets (3 catches)

    TE's targeted 3 times with 1 measly 4 yard catch.   It is THIS position (along with Higgins) that was supposed to flourish with OBJ & Landry on the field.  Higgins didn't suit up and Njoku was lost early in the game.  Higgins' replacement chipped in with a couple of 20+ yard receptions (Ratley) but it is Higgins that Baker developed a 'feel' for when he arrived in Cleveland.  Ratley was  hurt (again).

    Basically, we were without two weapons. 

    At TE, without Njoku, we're without a TE to throw to.  At least that's the way it looks right now.  You'd be tempted to want DeValve back, but really, he was just a tall lumbering lug who couldn't stay out of the medical tent.  We'll probably set TE as a mini-priority in next year's draft.

    ------------

    Freddie:

    I didn't like the idea of going for it on 4th down.  Fortunately, we benefited from a defensive penalty to convert one.  And Freddie was only bluffing on the two other 4th down plays.   The Jets were crippled.  We should've kept punting them deep in their end (which is what we did).  BTW, Hue was too dumb to try and draw a D offsides on 4th down.

    I didn't understand all of the passing in the closing minutes of the game.  I mean, why put Baker in position to get injured with a 20 point lead on a team with a crippled offense?  It didn't make sense to me.  We should've been running the ball and punting if we had to.  

    Because Freddie was treating it like a scrimmage that counted? Working on stuff?  Some have said- September is now the preseason?  

  • @orion said:

    The Jets actually had the ball longer than we did.    (...just checked out the game book)

    OBJ was targeted 10 times (6 catches).  Landry 7 targets (3 catches)

    TE's targeted 3 times with 1 measly 4 yard catch.   It is THIS position (along with Higgins) that was supposed to flourish with OBJ & Landry on the field.  Higgins didn't suit up and Njoku was lost early in the game.  Higgins' replacement chipped in with a couple of 20+ yard receptions (Ratley) but it is Higgins that Baker developed a 'feel' for when he arrived in Cleveland.  Ratley was  hurt (again).

    Basically, we were without two weapons. 

    At TE, without Njoku, we're without a TE to throw to.  At least that's the way it looks right now.  You'd be tempted to want DeValve back, but really, he was just a tall lumbering lug who couldn't stay out of the medical tent.  We'll probably set TE as a mini-priority in next year's draft.

    ------------

    Freddie:

    I didn't like the idea of going for it on 4th down.  Fortunately, we benefited from a defensive penalty to convert one.  And Freddie was only bluffing on the two other 4th down plays.   The Jets were crippled.  We should've kept punting them deep in their end (which is what we did).  BTW, Hue was too dumb to try and draw a D offsides on 4th down.

    I didn't understand all of the passing in the closing minutes of the game.  I mean, why put Baker in position to get injured with a 20 point lead on a team with a crippled offense?  It didn't make sense to me.  We should've been running the ball and punting if we had to.  

    Because Freddie was treating it like a scrimmage that counted? Working on stuff?  Some have said- September is now the preseason?  

    @hoorta said:

    Because Freddie was treating it like a scrimmage that counted? Working on stuff?  Some have said- September is now the preseason?  

    Well, I don't like it.  Baker got sacked while 'working on stuff'?   IMO he should've been working on his hand-off to a RB.  Perhaps Johnson at that point.  QB's have been dropping like flies.

  • @orion said:

    The Jets actually had the ball longer than we did.    (...just checked out the game book)

    OBJ was targeted 10 times (6 catches).  Landry 7 targets (3 catches)

    TE's targeted 3 times with 1 measly 4 yard catch.   It is THIS position (along with Higgins) that was supposed to flourish with OBJ & Landry on the field.  Higgins didn't suit up and Njoku was lost early in the game.  Higgins' replacement chipped in with a couple of 20+ yard receptions (Ratley) but it is Higgins that Baker developed a 'feel' for when he arrived in Cleveland.  Ratley was  hurt (again).

    Basically, we were without two weapons. 

    At TE, without Njoku, we're without a TE to throw to.  At least that's the way it looks right now.  You'd be tempted to want DeValve back, but really, he was just a tall lumbering lug who couldn't stay out of the medical tent.  We'll probably set TE as a mini-priority in next year's draft.

    ------------

    Freddie:

    I didn't like the idea of going for it on 4th down.  Fortunately, we benefited from a defensive penalty to convert one.  And Freddie was only bluffing on the two other 4th down plays.   The Jets were crippled.  We should've kept punting them deep in their end (which is what we did).  BTW, Hue was too dumb to try and draw a D offsides on 4th down.

    I didn't understand all of the passing in the closing minutes of the game.  I mean, why put Baker in position to get injured with a 20 point lead on a team with a crippled offense?  It didn't make sense to me.  We should've been running the ball and punting if we had to.  

    Because Freddie was treating it like a scrimmage that counted? Working on stuff?  Some have said- September is now the preseason?  

    @hoorta said:

    Because Freddie was treating it like a scrimmage that counted? Working on stuff?  Some have said- September is now the preseason?  

    Across the league. It really is nfl preseason. August is all about setting the roster. Sept is the practice season. A lot of the slop goes away come October. Except officiating. That’s just year round B.S.  I compared full time job MLB umps to part time NFL refs. There is no comparison. Until the owners want better officiating, we’re stuck with deaf, dumb and blind

  • @sdbacker80 said:

    And the OBJ TD play worked right?  The other screen to Chubb was set up well but one of their DTs made an excellent play. We have a luxury of simplifying the route tree.  When you have better athletes on the perimeter (for once) the five yard curl (easy throw) can net you a first down 

    Then why complain? ...

    There were plenty of short throws that went nowhere and screens. The offense was basically getting practice reps in as Jets were hopeless with third stringer QB

    @clevelandwantsplayoffs said:

    Then why complain? ...

    There were plenty of short throws that went nowhere and screens. The offense was basically getting practice reps in as Jets were hopeless with third stringer QB

    23 points against the Jets without Williams and Mosley?  And you go into the game knowing that Gregg Williams is going to play a Safety 25 yards off the ball.  It’s week 2 we have some new pieces but it needs work and the Browns are truly bless this year with Backs/WRs that can do special Things after the catch.  

    The offense is backwards now in its approach

  • I went back to see what led up to Myles' first roughing penalty and found the answer. He was sending a message to Gregg Williams and the Jets D. Jamal Adams had already been flagged for roughing Baker Mayfield and then while our RB was being held up for no further gain by at least two teammates, he took another even harder free shot at our RB, but was not called. He got away with one IMO. So the next opportunity that Myles had to take a shot at the QB, he took it. And then he took the other as well which was really no worse than the first except TS flexed his own lower leg and ankle back under his upper leg rather than out strait like he should have, which forced the injury bad enough to leave the game. Unfortunately he is now out for the season for torn ankle ligaments that will require surgery. I hope this does not get into Myles' head, because it was not really his fault how the QB's leg tucked under himself the wrong way rather than take a better fall.

  • I went back to see what led up to Myles' first roughing penalty and found the answer. He was sending a message to Gregg Williams and the Jets D. Jamal Adams had already been flagged for roughing Baker Mayfield and then while our RB was being held up for no further gain by at least two teammates, he took another even harder free shot at our RB, but was not called. He got away with one IMO. So the next opportunity that Myles had to take a shot at the QB, he took it. And then he took the other as well which was really no worse than the first except TS flexed his own lower leg and ankle back under his upper leg rather than out strait like he should have, which forced the injury bad enough to leave the game. Unfortunately he is now out for the season for torn ankle ligaments that will require surgery. I hope this does not get into Myles' head, because it was not really his fault how the QB's leg tucked under himself the wrong way rather than take a better fall.

    @texasag1969 said:

    I went back to see what led up to Myles' first roughing penalty and found the answer. He was sending a message to Gregg Williams and the Jets D. Jamal Adams had already been flagged for roughing Baker Mayfield and then while our RB was being held up for no further gain by at least two teammates, he took another even harder free shot at our RB, but was not called. He got away with one IMO. So the next opportunity that Myles had to take a shot at the QB, he took it. And then he took the other as well which was really no worse than the first except TS flexed his own lower leg and ankle back under his upper leg rather than out strait like he should have, which forced the injury bad enough to leave the game. Unfortunately he is now out for the season for torn ankle ligaments that will require surgery. I hope this does not get into Myles' head, because it was not really his fault how the QB's leg tucked under himself the wrong way rather than take a better fall.

    I wouldn't blame Semian for falling awkardly either. That stuff happens in miliseconds and many injuries are caused by a part of the body being in the wrong moment at the wrong time, not conciously.