Skip to content

Baker has turned the corner

The Browns Board
64 27 2.1k 1
  • @jiggins7919 said:

    Man, I don't know about you guys, but I'm nervous AF about this game, lol. I think it's because there's so much riding on it. If we win, we literally still have life. We'd be 4-6 with some legit easier games on the horizon. Sure, we'd have to beat them again in 2 weeks, but whatever. 

    You know what I REALLY want to see? I want to see a freaking blowout victory. A start to finish BEATDOWN. No red zone issues, no sloppiness, and no drama. Just a home win for the good guys that's awesome to watch 

    Hey, a brother can dream, right? ?

    This team is due a blowout victory, and I can't think of any better time to do it than against the Steelers. 

    And I'm sorry, the Steelers have no business winning a fifth game in a row. 

    @dutch-oven said:

    This team is due a blowout victory, and I can't think of any better time to do it than against the Steelers. 

    And I'm sorry, the Steelers have no business winning a fifth game in a row. 

    Am in the Dutch Camp^^ Were close to taking the lid off on some big plays..Our OL, as a unit, has to win the games MVP award.

    I Hate The Steelers shirt was wore under the #6 ? Jersey at work today..Barked at every Steelqueen fan I knew..

    Watch! The pass maybe thrown off the wrong back foot? or It maybe tossed up into double coverage? Am just feel'in a Dangerous Baker night is overdue in the Primetime spotlight..  Hunt while at KC, raped them on dink pass..expect more of the same 

    Shut up the hater's Bake & Go Browns!!   

  • Bake looked pretty sharp tonight. Still not on the same page with OBJ. I thought Hodges was going to have a huge night but went silent after the second catch.

    Still gotta question some of his reads. Missed Hunt open in the flats on a few big plays, and even though it was a HELL of a throw to the new TE in the back of the Endzone to make it 21-7.... I gotta question why you throw that kinda ball on 3rd down that close the the goal post when you can be smart and not put the ball in harms way and take the points to go up by two scores..... but.... I’d rather see those kinda mistakes than physical ineptitude that can’t be improved on.  (Serious though if you missed that throw, rewind and watch the angle from the sideline.... Bake wizzed that thing! It just STUCK in the TE’s arms... that’s the throw we needed at the end of the Rams game...) 

    The defense is gonna be weakened without its star DE now.  Gonna have to crank up the heat and put a lot of points on the board. Let’s do it.

  • @bob806 said:

    Agree to a point, but we still struggle to score. It's not all on him.

    The Squealers game will be a toughie, no doubt. Their D is playing well. Can Baker and the Browns make enough plays to win? Sure hope so.

    We can, we're due for a long td to OBJ and a defensive td. If we can get an early lead and no turnovers, they can't come back.

    I think we can get to Mason 'Statue' Rudolph as well, get a couple turnovers of our own. Pittcrap was lucky to beat the colts and got a bunch of questionable calls to beat the rams. That fumble recovery that wasn't reviewed for no reason was a joke

    @crunchy said:

    We can, we're due for a long td to OBJ and a defensive td. If we can get an early lead and no turnovers, they can't come back.

    I think we can get to Mason 'Statue' Rudolph as well, get a couple turnovers of our own. Pittcrap was lucky to beat the colts and got a bunch of questionable calls to beat the rams. That fumble recovery that wasn't reviewed for no reason was a joke

    I hate to quote myself but... Damn! Was I ever right about this one ? (I still think that was a td to OBJ, refs tried to screw us) 

  • Bake looked pretty sharp tonight. Still not on the same page with OBJ. I thought Hodges was going to have a huge night but went silent after the second catch.

    Still gotta question some of his reads. Missed Hunt open in the flats on a few big plays, and even though it was a HELL of a throw to the new TE in the back of the Endzone to make it 21-7.... I gotta question why you throw that kinda ball on 3rd down that close the the goal post when you can be smart and not put the ball in harms way and take the points to go up by two scores..... but.... I’d rather see those kinda mistakes than physical ineptitude that can’t be improved on.  (Serious though if you missed that throw, rewind and watch the angle from the sideline.... Bake wizzed that thing! It just STUCK in the TE’s arms... that’s the throw we needed at the end of the Rams game...) 

    The defense is gonna be weakened without its star DE now.  Gonna have to crank up the heat and put a lot of points on the board. Let’s do it.

    @hx214 said:

    Bake looked pretty sharp tonight. Still not on the same page with OBJ. I thought Hodges was going to have a huge night but went silent after the second catch.

    Still gotta question some of his reads. Missed Hunt open in the flats on a few big plays, and even though it was a HELL of a throw to the new TE in the back of the Endzone to make it 21-7.... I gotta question why you throw that kinda ball on 3rd down that close the the goal post when you can be smart and not put the ball in harms way and take the points to go up by two scores..... but.... I’d rather see those kinda mistakes than physical ineptitude that can’t be improved on.  (Serious though if you missed that throw, rewind and watch the angle from the sideline.... Bake wizzed that thing! It just STUCK in the TE’s arms... that’s the throw we needed at the end of the Rams game...) 

    The defense is gonna be weakened without its star DE now.  Gonna have to crank up the heat and put a lot of points on the board. Let’s do it.

    Still poor Scheme and poor playcalling by the coaches

  • Bake looked pretty sharp tonight. Still not on the same page with OBJ. I thought Hodges was going to have a huge night but went silent after the second catch.

    Still gotta question some of his reads. Missed Hunt open in the flats on a few big plays, and even though it was a HELL of a throw to the new TE in the back of the Endzone to make it 21-7.... I gotta question why you throw that kinda ball on 3rd down that close the the goal post when you can be smart and not put the ball in harms way and take the points to go up by two scores..... but.... I’d rather see those kinda mistakes than physical ineptitude that can’t be improved on.  (Serious though if you missed that throw, rewind and watch the angle from the sideline.... Bake wizzed that thing! It just STUCK in the TE’s arms... that’s the throw we needed at the end of the Rams game...) 

    The defense is gonna be weakened without its star DE now.  Gonna have to crank up the heat and put a lot of points on the board. Let’s do it.

    @hx214 said:

    Bake looked pretty sharp tonight. Still not on the same page with OBJ. I thought Hodges was going to have a huge night but went silent after the second catch.

    Still gotta question some of his reads. Missed Hunt open in the flats on a few big plays, and even though it was a HELL of a throw to the new TE in the back of the Endzone to make it 21-7.... I gotta question why you throw that kinda ball on 3rd down that close the the goal post when you can be smart and not put the ball in harms way and take the points to go up by two scores..... but.... I’d rather see those kinda mistakes than physical ineptitude that can’t be improved on.  (Serious though if you missed that throw, rewind and watch the angle from the sideline.... Bake wizzed that thing! It just STUCK in the TE’s arms... that’s the throw we needed at the end of the Rams game...) 

    The defense is gonna be weakened without its star DE now.  Gonna have to crank up the heat and put a lot of points on the board. Let’s do it.

    Not saying you feel this way, but looking back on that throw I'm fine with it. You see a defender clearly with his back turned it's very likely incomplete, at best caught or DPI.

    Best comment I saw about it was that if Russell Wilson makes that throw people would be chanting MVP.

  • A much more "controlled" Baker.  He's playing smarter within the confines of the offense and when he does go off script (Throw to Hodge) he was more decisive about it. 

    A return to fundamentals is nice to see.  If Baker hovers around 61-62% comp, avoids turnovers and we run effectively, then 8 wins is in this teams grasp. 

  • Bake looked pretty sharp tonight. Still not on the same page with OBJ. I thought Hodges was going to have a huge night but went silent after the second catch.

    Still gotta question some of his reads. Missed Hunt open in the flats on a few big plays, and even though it was a HELL of a throw to the new TE in the back of the Endzone to make it 21-7.... I gotta question why you throw that kinda ball on 3rd down that close the the goal post when you can be smart and not put the ball in harms way and take the points to go up by two scores..... but.... I’d rather see those kinda mistakes than physical ineptitude that can’t be improved on.  (Serious though if you missed that throw, rewind and watch the angle from the sideline.... Bake wizzed that thing! It just STUCK in the TE’s arms... that’s the throw we needed at the end of the Rams game...) 

    The defense is gonna be weakened without its star DE now.  Gonna have to crank up the heat and put a lot of points on the board. Let’s do it.

    @hx214 said:

    Bake looked pretty sharp tonight. Still not on the same page with OBJ. I thought Hodges was going to have a huge night but went silent after the second catch.

    Still gotta question some of his reads. Missed Hunt open in the flats on a few big plays, and even though it was a HELL of a throw to the new TE in the back of the Endzone to make it 21-7.... I gotta question why you throw that kinda ball on 3rd down that close the the goal post when you can be smart and not put the ball in harms way and take the points to go up by two scores..... but.... I’d rather see those kinda mistakes than physical ineptitude that can’t be improved on.  (Serious though if you missed that throw, rewind and watch the angle from the sideline.... Bake wizzed that thing! It just STUCK in the TE’s arms... that’s the throw we needed at the end of the Rams game...) 

    The defense is gonna be weakened without its star DE now.  Gonna have to crank up the heat and put a lot of points on the board. Let’s do it.

    LOL! I feel the same way. That throw reminded me of the movie "Necessary Roughness" when the WR Featherstone couldn't catch anything so the QB (Scott Bakula) rifles the ball as hard as possible so it gets stuck in Featherstone's facemask, LOL. 

    I loved seeing Carlson go up and make that play for Baker. I thought he was going to POP the football he was squeezing it so hard, haha. But I actually agree with you. The throw itself was a risk he didn't need to take. What if the ball hits the defender's helmet and pops straight up to get picked? Why take the risk? In a game where the Steelers couldn't do ANYTHING, a 10 point lead seems like 50, right? 

    But, whatever. Our rookie TE somehow caught it and effectively ended the game. It was a wild play and I loved seeing how the team reacted. Demetrius Harris was so jacked for Carlson...loved seeing it. 

    Gotta get to work, but lots more to discuss. Another multiple TD game for Baker and no turnovers. That'll do! 

  • For reference, last three games

    62.5% completion, 6 total TDS, no turnovers. Last two game QBR were 74 and 73, respectively (which is where the leaders in the NFL are at typically, or close).

    Definitely encouraging.

  • For reference, last three games

    62.5% completion, 6 total TDS, no turnovers. Last two game QBR were 74 and 73, respectively (which is where the leaders in the NFL are at typically, or close).

    Definitely encouraging.

    @jrb12711 said:

    For reference, last three games

    62.5% completion, 6 total TDS, no turnovers. Last two game QBR were 74 and 73, respectively (which is where the leaders in the NFL are at typically, or close).

    Definitely encouraging.

    So encouraging! And based on the 'eye test' he's looking much better as well. Extending the play multiple times last night, feeling the pocket, directing receivers when he rolls out, being decisive, just making smart decisions consistently. 

    And once again, this is against another top ten pass defense. And one that had been creating a TON of turnovers. 

  • @jrb12711 said:

    For reference, last three games

    62.5% completion, 6 total TDS, no turnovers. Last two game QBR were 74 and 73, respectively (which is where the leaders in the NFL are at typically, or close).

    Definitely encouraging.

    So encouraging! And based on the 'eye test' he's looking much better as well. Extending the play multiple times last night, feeling the pocket, directing receivers when he rolls out, being decisive, just making smart decisions consistently. 

    And once again, this is against another top ten pass defense. And one that had been creating a TON of turnovers. 

    @crunchy said:

    So encouraging! And based on the 'eye test' he's looking much better as well. Extending the play multiple times last night, feeling the pocket, directing receivers when he rolls out, being decisive, just making smart decisions consistently. 

    And once again, this is against another top ten pass defense. And one that had been creating a TON of turnovers. 

    For sure. I said all along Baker is a huge, huge momentum guy. I can see him feasting next week.

  • I actually thought this was one of the grittiest performances we’ve seen from Baker. Period. There were more than a few plays he had to scramble like a maniac just to get the ball out.

  • And the last two games Baker did this against two of the better defenses in the NFL - so nobody can say that he did it against soft opponents.  Definitely encouraging .

  • And the last two games Baker did this against two of the better defenses in the NFL - so nobody can say that he did it against soft opponents.  Definitely encouraging .

    @onkyoreceiver said:

    And the last two games Baker did this against two of the better defenses in the NFL - so nobody can say that he did it against soft opponents.  Definitely encouraging .

    That is such a terrific point. Let's not forget, this Steelers defense was absolutely murdering teams with sacks and turnovers. I know many of us were starting to get pretty nervous after we were up 14-7 for what felt like forever. We basically put the game in our defense's hands and let them do their thing. When we absolutely had to get that last score, we finally did in dramatic fashion. What a catch by the rookie TE, and what a throw (risky for my blood, but whatever, lol). 

    Steelers were living on turnovers and defensive touchdowns. Heck, just the other week or so they were down 14 to the Dolphins I think, and what happened? I'm pretty sure they got a defensive TD and that helped seal it. We cut off their lifeline by not turning it over and that made all the difference. 

    I have a feeling we might see an offensive explosion soon. OBJ and Hunt might be fantasy studs next week...just a hunch. 

    Edit:  I randomly looked up some of the defensive stats from teams like the Bills, Broncos, and Steelers, and it's borderline incredible that we were able to do some of the things we did. Now, we were FAR from great mind you, but some of these defenses made fools of some pretty decent teams. We got the Fins coming up, and according to CBS Sports they're absolutely miserable defensively. 19th against the pass, but 31st against the run. This Dolphins team can still beat us if we crap down our leg, but if we bring the intensity there's little reason why we can't dominate this game. 

  • Baker is definitely trending upward, his play Thursday night was exactly what the Browns needed. The only way Pittsburgh was going to win was if the Browns turned the ball over.

    That said, Baker and OBJ have zero chemistry. It isn't getting better as the season goes.

  • Baker is definitely trending upward, his play Thursday night was exactly what the Browns needed. The only way Pittsburgh was going to win was if the Browns turned the ball over.

    That said, Baker and OBJ have zero chemistry. It isn't getting better as the season goes.

    @dutch-oven said:

    Baker is definitely trending upward, his play Thursday night was exactly what the Browns needed. The only way Pittsburgh was going to win was if the Browns turned the ball over.

    That said, Baker and OBJ have zero chemistry. It isn't getting better as the season goes.

    Makes a case for players actually showing up for OTAs etc, doesn't it? Let's hope OBJ realizes that.

    Mike

  • @dutch-oven said:

    Baker is definitely trending upward, his play Thursday night was exactly what the Browns needed. The only way Pittsburgh was going to win was if the Browns turned the ball over.

    That said, Baker and OBJ have zero chemistry. It isn't getting better as the season goes.

    Makes a case for players actually showing up for OTAs etc, doesn't it? Let's hope OBJ realizes that.

    Mike

    @canton-mike said:

    Makes a case for players actually showing up for OTAs etc, doesn't it? Let's hope OBJ realizes that.

    Mike

    And how many folks on here thought it meant nothing too? 

  • @canton-mike said:

    Makes a case for players actually showing up for OTAs etc, doesn't it? Let's hope OBJ realizes that.

    Mike

    And how many folks on here thought it meant nothing too? 

    @dutch-oven said:

    And how many folks on here thought it meant nothing too? 

    I was one of those, thinking his working with Baker in LA was good enough.........I was WRONG.

    Mike

  • I've been watching far to many 'Junk Steps' in Odel's short & intermediate routes on the all 22.. the timing & sight routes are getting Baker bailing out of the pocket..

    Watch the OBJ & Hodge bombs? even the big gainer that Landry catches in 2nd at 11:37..They all had the same things in common.. Bakers front foot is buried on the ground in the pocket..Bake leads them all to the ball to catching it..

  • Baker didn't just turn the corner in his play, but in his leadership and maturity. He came off as just legit after the game. 

  • The good news is Baker is coming back to his old dangerous ways..... If letting Callaway go is part of the catalyst for that to happen.. so be it... I'm not gonna blame him lol...Baker has worked his ass off.. I pray he will continue to stay the course and run....