Skip to content

Baker has turned the corner

The Browns Board
64 27 2.1k 1
  • Baker's quietly put three good games in a row together and the offense has looked a lot more fluid. He has 4 td and 1 int in the last 3 and that int was on a shovel pass, so that's not even a real int, it's just a play that was blown up (Billicheat probably knew it was coming, so no credit to the Pats). 

    And he's done this against 3 of the top 10 secondaries. Of course, he gets another one in the Douchlers on Thursday, but he's battle-tested now. AND he got two redzone passing tds today, so that bodes well for the future. 

    Baker and the offense are starting to get in a groove. They're looking way more in rhythm than they did at the beginning of the year, when Baker was holding onto the ball forever and every pass play looked so difficult. When he marched them down the field for the go-ahead score today, it was much more in sync. Just made good reads, got the ball out, boom, first down. 

    This She-lers team is vulnerable, they don't have a good running or passing offense. If we can get just two tds I think we can take them. And with Baker and the offense rolling, I like our chances! 

  • He's playing better, which is good. He got bailed out on a couple passes that could have been game breakers yesterday, most notably in the 4th where he lobbed it into double coverage but the two bills players ran into each other.

    Overall the offense is looking better.

  • Wish I could agree.

  • Good post. I was kinda thinking the same that Baker seems to be easing back into the guy we thought he was the last few games. Keep it up Baker.

  • Wish I could agree.

    @tiamat63 said:

    Wish I could agree.

    Do tell. I know he got “lucky” on a couple passes, but luck is fickle like that and one could argue he was on the other side of lady luck earlier games in the season. Baker’s still gonna be gunslinger-like, so he’s gonna make some bad throws, but lessening those bad throws is what l feel like he’s done the last few games.

  • Wish I could agree.

    @tiamat63 said:

    Wish I could agree.

    3052587.png&h=102&scale=crop&w=102CLE
    B. Mayfield 26-38, 238 YDS, 2 TDs
     
    What about these particular stats do you find deficient?
  • Even when he isn't playing that great and putting up low numbers, the type of throws he can make shows that he is the best QB we have had in a long time.

    See the incomplete pass 30 yards downfield on a double covered OBJ and OBJ misplayed on the last step and missed it by a finger tip. That ball couldn't have been thrown better on his part. 

    That Landry pass at the end of the game was as ridiculous as the catch.

  • Agree to a point, but we still struggle to score. It's not all on him.

    The Squealers game will be a toughie, no doubt. Their D is playing well. Can Baker and the Browns make enough plays to win? Sure hope so.

  • Agree to a point, but we still struggle to score. It's not all on him.

    The Squealers game will be a toughie, no doubt. Their D is playing well. Can Baker and the Browns make enough plays to win? Sure hope so.

    @bob806 said:

    Agree to a point, but we still struggle to score. It's not all on him.

    The Squealers game will be a toughie, no doubt. Their D is playing well. Can Baker and the Browns make enough plays to win? Sure hope so.

    We can, we're due for a long td to OBJ and a defensive td. If we can get an early lead and no turnovers, they can't come back.

    I think we can get to Mason 'Statue' Rudolph as well, get a couple turnovers of our own. Pittcrap was lucky to beat the colts and got a bunch of questionable calls to beat the rams. That fumble recovery that wasn't reviewed for no reason was a joke

  • Agree to a point, but we still struggle to score. It's not all on him.

    The Squealers game will be a toughie, no doubt. Their D is playing well. Can Baker and the Browns make enough plays to win? Sure hope so.

    @bob806 said:

    Agree to a point, but we still struggle to score. It's not all on him.

    The Squealers game will be a toughie, no doubt. Their D is playing well. Can Baker and the Browns make enough plays to win? Sure hope so.

    It's going to be a real fast week they play again in 3+ days from right now.

    On turning the corner put up a few really good numbers games, get back to 6-6 and we'll all say yeah....... he's back.

    GO BROWNS, two in a row.....baby!

  • I agree, to a point. That safety he took was truly bad. True, the playcall was atrocious, but Baker HAD to know presnap that he had no time and no help on that side. I didn't look at it much, so it's possible that we blew an assignment, but it appeared to be an empty formation...at the goal line. Baker HAD to know. 

    But, like I said, I largely agree. Baker's accuracy was ON POINT yesterday. I would've LOVED to see him hit those OBJ deep balls, but they're super close. Virtually every other pass, save the INT drop, was there. He hit OBJ on the fade, but it got knocked away (perfectly thrown). Many other throws, perfect. He took a step, that's for sure. 

  • Steelers D is playing lights out right now. That Fitzpatrick is a total beast, making a huge difference. 

  • Steelers D is playing lights out right now. That Fitzpatrick is a total beast, making a huge difference. 

    @icecube said:

    Steelers D is playing lights out right now. That Fitzpatrick is a total beast, making a huge difference. 

    Him and Devon Bush. They seem to score every week. We haven't had a defensive TD in forever. It's gonna be a nightmare game. If we win, it's gonna be a close one. 

  • I agree, to a point. That safety he took was truly bad. True, the playcall was atrocious, but Baker HAD to know presnap that he had no time and no help on that side. I didn't look at it much, so it's possible that we blew an assignment, but it appeared to be an empty formation...at the goal line. Baker HAD to know. 

    But, like I said, I largely agree. Baker's accuracy was ON POINT yesterday. I would've LOVED to see him hit those OBJ deep balls, but they're super close. Virtually every other pass, save the INT drop, was there. He hit OBJ on the fade, but it got knocked away (perfectly thrown). Many other throws, perfect. He took a step, that's for sure. 

    @jiggins7919 said:

    I agree, to a point. That safety he took was truly bad. True, the playcall was atrocious, but Baker HAD to know presnap that he had no time and no help on that side. I didn't look at it much, so it's possible that we blew an assignment, but it appeared to be an empty formation...at the goal line. Baker HAD to know. 

    But, like I said, I largely agree. Baker's accuracy was ON POINT yesterday. I would've LOVED to see him hit those OBJ deep balls, but they're super close. Virtually every other pass, save the INT drop, was there. He hit OBJ on the fade, but it got knocked away (perfectly thrown). Many other throws, perfect. He took a step, that's for sure. 

    It wasn't a blown assignment. It was a 3 step drop. On a 3 step drop the ball has to come out at the very top of the drop which is very dependent on the quarterback recognizing the coverage presnap to determine what route has best chance of being open. Even if nothing is open you fire it over someone's head out of bounds.

  • @jiggins7919 said:

    I agree, to a point. That safety he took was truly bad. True, the playcall was atrocious, but Baker HAD to know presnap that he had no time and no help on that side. I didn't look at it much, so it's possible that we blew an assignment, but it appeared to be an empty formation...at the goal line. Baker HAD to know. 

    But, like I said, I largely agree. Baker's accuracy was ON POINT yesterday. I would've LOVED to see him hit those OBJ deep balls, but they're super close. Virtually every other pass, save the INT drop, was there. He hit OBJ on the fade, but it got knocked away (perfectly thrown). Many other throws, perfect. He took a step, that's for sure. 

    It wasn't a blown assignment. It was a 3 step drop. On a 3 step drop the ball has to come out at the very top of the drop which is very dependent on the quarterback recognizing the coverage presnap to determine what route has best chance of being open. Even if nothing is open you fire it over someone's head out of bounds.

    @bjh2130 said:

    It wasn't a blown assignment. It was a 3 step drop. On a 3 step drop the ball has to come out at the very top of the drop which is very dependent on the quarterback recognizing the coverage presnap to determine what route has best chance of being open. Even if nothing is open you fire it over someone's head out of bounds.

    Yeah, that's what I figured, but I didn't want to sound certain without looking at it again. Thanks for clearing it up. 

    I REALLY wish that didn't happen. It's a really bad play, as you stated, he's GOT to fire that ball out, and he's GOT to know that. Do I like the call? Nope. We'd been running it well all day and I would prefer to try and get some distance from the goal line. What also hurt is that I seem to remember Baker's read over the middle being somewhat open. Open enough to let it rip. Hopefully this is a mistake he won't make again. It could have cost us the game. 

    You know what else was bothersome? Our offense had two possessions in the 3rd and 4th quarter where we could've extended the 12-9 lead. Two drives that basically went nowhere. The good teams bury opponents and we couldn't do it. Again, hopefully we learn from it! 

    But hey, Baker looked pretty sharp. I loved seeing the 2 deep shots to OBJ. Those will connect soon, and I'm thinking Thursday. 

  • The addition of Hunt as a check down and target is helping almost immediately I would say. Getting Higgins out of the doghouse and back on the field will be great as well. If they default back to weed head jr. tomorrow instead of Higgins that will truly suck.  

  • In a round room?

  • The addition of Hunt as a check down and target is helping almost immediately I would say. Getting Higgins out of the doghouse and back on the field will be great as well. If they default back to weed head jr. tomorrow instead of Higgins that will truly suck.  

    @jcam222 said:

    The addition of Hunt as a check down and target is helping almost immediately I would say. Getting Higgins out of the doghouse and back on the field will be great as well. If they default back to weed head jr. tomorrow instead of Higgins that will truly suck.  

    I've said it before but I'm saying it again...Kareem Hunt was a grown MAN out there. I read something to the effect where he was in for only 1 out of 13 red zone plays. That's gonna CHANGE, son. Hunt can block, he can catch, and he can run. We're going to work on our two back formation in the red zone, and I have high hopes. That man looked READY to play, and it's not a stretch to say he was the difference in us winning the game. Remember the game-winning drive, right after the overturned fumble for a TD? The next play was 3rd and 7 and where did we go? What did we dial up? Kareem Hunt out pattern. Baker threw it on the nails, Hunt caught it clean. HUGE play. 

  • @bob806 said:

    Agree to a point, but we still struggle to score. It's not all on him.

    The Squealers game will be a toughie, no doubt. Their D is playing well. Can Baker and the Browns make enough plays to win? Sure hope so.

    We can, we're due for a long td to OBJ and a defensive td. If we can get an early lead and no turnovers, they can't come back.

    I think we can get to Mason 'Statue' Rudolph as well, get a couple turnovers of our own. Pittcrap was lucky to beat the colts and got a bunch of questionable calls to beat the rams. That fumble recovery that wasn't reviewed for no reason was a joke

    @crunchy said:

    We can, we're due for a long td to OBJ and a defensive td. If we can get an early lead and no turnovers, they can't come back.

    I think we can get to Mason 'Statue' Rudolph as well, get a couple turnovers of our own. Pittcrap was lucky to beat the colts and got a bunch of questionable calls to beat the rams. That fumble recovery that wasn't reviewed for no reason was a joke

    Agree. Sadly its nothing new with them. Being good is one thing, lucky and good is another thing. 

    Pisses me off that "our QB becomes a runner and is therefore allowed to be hit in the head," for example, while several of Goodell's darlings get all the breaks. Ok, I'm getting fired up, time to put the coffee down lol.

    GO BROWNS

  • @tiamat63 said:

    Wish I could agree.

    Do tell. I know he got “lucky” on a couple passes, but luck is fickle like that and one could argue he was on the other side of lady luck earlier games in the season. Baker’s still gonna be gunslinger-like, so he’s gonna make some bad throws, but lessening those bad throws is what l feel like he’s done the last few games.

    @ibleedbrown said:

    Do tell. I know he got “lucky” on a couple passes, but luck is fickle like that and one could argue he was on the other side of lady luck earlier games in the season. Baker’s still gonna be gunslinger-like, so he’s gonna make some bad throws, but lessening those bad throws is what l feel like he’s done the last few games.

    I'll respond to this post in detail later today.  Its been a busy 24 hours (sadly)