Another season as a loss
-
Well, the OP is Mr. Pessimist, you are Mr. Milktoast. But I think I was Mr. "Lets see how we can get this done".
I think you're over rating the Browns chances, and hoping the teams ahead of us fall flat. Not likely.
1) I'll buy the Steelers at 8-8, maybe worse if Ju-Ju and Connor miss significant time.
2) Sorry Gip Raiders could easily go 4-2
3) Jags, yeah 4-2 or 3-3 is realistic, but they have big problems just like the Browns
4) Texans\ Colts? the TNF game coming up is an elimination game.
So the Browns only faint chance of making the playoffs is to run the table- and get a lot of help. 9-7 isn't going to do it this year.
I think you're over rating the Browns chances, and hoping the teams ahead of us fall flat. Not likely.
1) I'll buy the Steelers at 8-8, maybe worse if Ju-Ju and Connor miss significant time.
2) Sorry Gip Raiders could easily go 4-2
3) Jags, yeah 4-2 or 3-3 is realistic, but they have big problems just like the Browns
4) Texans\ Colts? the TNF game coming up is an elimination game.
So the Browns only faint chance of making the playoffs is to run the table- and get a lot of help. 9-7 isn't going to do it this year.
Hoorta totally nails it, per usual. Unfortunately this isn't the year to start out slowly, and it's next to impossible for us to make the playoffs. The focus now needs to be on finishing strong, which I know isn't what people want to hear.
But think about what "finishing strong" does for our team. If we finish 8-8, do we get to keep our coach? I think we do. Can we build around a defensive coordinator and draft people specifically fit for his system? Can we improve on our already solid special teams? Can we ride some offensive momentum into next season where the receivers have some time to gel with each other?
And let's be honest, maybe we just need a little luck next year. We started out with a brutal schedule, and when we dropped the early close ones, that was the end of our year. Three games sealed our fate early. Titans, Rams, Seahawks. In all three of those games, for different reasons, we beat ourselves. That made it so we had to be almost perfect in the second half of the year, and when we lost to the Brandon Allen lead Broncos, well...that was that. (as far as playoffs)
We can still have some fun the last six games, and we can still learn a lot about our team. One thing I learned (hopefully) was that we're going to keep Jarvis Landry. Before the season I said Landry would likely be gone next year unless he reworked his massive contract. As good as he is, his production didn't match his salary, and with the arrival of stud WR OBJ, Landry's production would likely fall a little bit and we wouldn't want to invest $30 a million a year to WR's.
WRONG. Jarvis Landry is the freaking SOUL of our team, and I don't see a way in HELL we let him go anywhere. You guys remember that 40 yard catch by Hodge last week? You know what I remember the most? Seeing Landry sprinting down the field to catapult his ass into 3 Steelers in hopes of springing Hodge for just a few more yards. Landry didn't end up helping the play and he missed the diving block, but I loved seeing it.
We get to see how Hunt plays with our team for 6 more games, and we can fine tune our offensive strategy to better incorporate the two stud RB's we have. I feel like Hunt is going to blow up on the field soon, and it might be against a poor defensive team like the Fins. This could be a very fun offense to watch for several years, and although I'm as frustrated as anyone about the lack of productivity THIS year, we still get 6 more games to watch us hopefully come together and get some more wins.
-
I think you're over rating the Browns chances, and hoping the teams ahead of us fall flat. Not likely.
1) I'll buy the Steelers at 8-8, maybe worse if Ju-Ju and Connor miss significant time.
2) Sorry Gip Raiders could easily go 4-2
3) Jags, yeah 4-2 or 3-3 is realistic, but they have big problems just like the Browns
4) Texans\ Colts? the TNF game coming up is an elimination game.
So the Browns only faint chance of making the playoffs is to run the table- and get a lot of help. 9-7 isn't going to do it this year.
Hoorta totally nails it, per usual. Unfortunately this isn't the year to start out slowly, and it's next to impossible for us to make the playoffs. The focus now needs to be on finishing strong, which I know isn't what people want to hear.
But think about what "finishing strong" does for our team. If we finish 8-8, do we get to keep our coach? I think we do. Can we build around a defensive coordinator and draft people specifically fit for his system? Can we improve on our already solid special teams? Can we ride some offensive momentum into next season where the receivers have some time to gel with each other?
And let's be honest, maybe we just need a little luck next year. We started out with a brutal schedule, and when we dropped the early close ones, that was the end of our year. Three games sealed our fate early. Titans, Rams, Seahawks. In all three of those games, for different reasons, we beat ourselves. That made it so we had to be almost perfect in the second half of the year, and when we lost to the Brandon Allen lead Broncos, well...that was that. (as far as playoffs)
We can still have some fun the last six games, and we can still learn a lot about our team. One thing I learned (hopefully) was that we're going to keep Jarvis Landry. Before the season I said Landry would likely be gone next year unless he reworked his massive contract. As good as he is, his production didn't match his salary, and with the arrival of stud WR OBJ, Landry's production would likely fall a little bit and we wouldn't want to invest $30 a million a year to WR's.
WRONG. Jarvis Landry is the freaking SOUL of our team, and I don't see a way in HELL we let him go anywhere. You guys remember that 40 yard catch by Hodge last week? You know what I remember the most? Seeing Landry sprinting down the field to catapult his ass into 3 Steelers in hopes of springing Hodge for just a few more yards. Landry didn't end up helping the play and he missed the diving block, but I loved seeing it.
We get to see how Hunt plays with our team for 6 more games, and we can fine tune our offensive strategy to better incorporate the two stud RB's we have. I feel like Hunt is going to blow up on the field soon, and it might be against a poor defensive team like the Fins. This could be a very fun offense to watch for several years, and although I'm as frustrated as anyone about the lack of productivity THIS year, we still get 6 more games to watch us hopefully come together and get some more wins.
Hoorta totally nails it, per usual. Unfortunately this isn't the year to start out slowly, and it's next to impossible for us to make the playoffs. The focus now needs to be on finishing strong, which I know isn't what people want to hear.
But think about what "finishing strong" does for our team. If we finish 8-8, do we get to keep our coach? I think we do. Can we build around a defensive coordinator and draft people specifically fit for his system? Can we improve on our already solid special teams? Can we ride some offensive momentum into next season where the receivers have some time to gel with each other?
And let's be honest, maybe we just need a little luck next year. We started out with a brutal schedule, and when we dropped the early close ones, that was the end of our year. Three games sealed our fate early. Titans, Rams, Seahawks. In all three of those games, for different reasons, we beat ourselves. That made it so we had to be almost perfect in the second half of the year, and when we lost to the Brandon Allen lead Broncos, well...that was that. (as far as playoffs)
We can still have some fun the last six games, and we can still learn a lot about our team. One thing I learned (hopefully) was that we're going to keep Jarvis Landry. Before the season I said Landry would likely be gone next year unless he reworked his massive contract. As good as he is, his production didn't match his salary, and with the arrival of stud WR OBJ, Landry's production would likely fall a little bit and we wouldn't want to invest $30 a million a year to WR's.
WRONG. Jarvis Landry is the freaking SOUL of our team, and I don't see a way in HELL we let him go anywhere. You guys remember that 40 yard catch by Hodge last week? You know what I remember the most? Seeing Landry sprinting down the field to catapult his ass into 3 Steelers in hopes of springing Hodge for just a few more yards. Landry didn't end up helping the play and he missed the diving block, but I loved seeing it.
We get to see how Hunt plays with our team for 6 more games, and we can fine tune our offensive strategy to better incorporate the two stud RB's we have. I feel like Hunt is going to blow up on the field soon, and it might be against a poor defensive team like the Fins. This could be a very fun offense to watch for several years, and although I'm as frustrated as anyone about the lack of productivity THIS year, we still get 6 more games to watch us hopefully come together and get some more wins.
So? You have switched from Mr. Milktoast to either Mr. Negative or to Mr. Wishy Washy?
I get that it is a longshot.....but it is by no means impossible.
Tonight's game can be a start. While either losing helps, the Colts losing, I think, helps more....with the whole comparative conference record thing. The Browns will be only a game behind the loser. (If they win on Sunday...of course we can never assume). They would have an edge on the Colts in Conf. record (they do now): 5-3 to 5-5.
They are right now even with the Jags in the W/L column...but ahead in the Conf. record. (current 4-3 vs. 4-4).
We can really only look to leapfrogging one of these competitors at a time, it seems. We actually are ahead on leaps over the Jags. I think the Colts losing tonight makes a leap over them a lot shorter.
Titans, who we definitely cannot be tied with, play the Jags. Guess we gotta root for the Jags. Raiders play Jets..then Titans. Yes, it will take a lot because a lot of the teams we need to beat, play each other, so while we gain something on the one hand, we lose on the other.
-
Hoorta totally nails it, per usual. Unfortunately this isn't the year to start out slowly, and it's next to impossible for us to make the playoffs. The focus now needs to be on finishing strong, which I know isn't what people want to hear.
But think about what "finishing strong" does for our team. If we finish 8-8, do we get to keep our coach? I think we do. Can we build around a defensive coordinator and draft people specifically fit for his system? Can we improve on our already solid special teams? Can we ride some offensive momentum into next season where the receivers have some time to gel with each other?
And let's be honest, maybe we just need a little luck next year. We started out with a brutal schedule, and when we dropped the early close ones, that was the end of our year. Three games sealed our fate early. Titans, Rams, Seahawks. In all three of those games, for different reasons, we beat ourselves. That made it so we had to be almost perfect in the second half of the year, and when we lost to the Brandon Allen lead Broncos, well...that was that. (as far as playoffs)
We can still have some fun the last six games, and we can still learn a lot about our team. One thing I learned (hopefully) was that we're going to keep Jarvis Landry. Before the season I said Landry would likely be gone next year unless he reworked his massive contract. As good as he is, his production didn't match his salary, and with the arrival of stud WR OBJ, Landry's production would likely fall a little bit and we wouldn't want to invest $30 a million a year to WR's.
WRONG. Jarvis Landry is the freaking SOUL of our team, and I don't see a way in HELL we let him go anywhere. You guys remember that 40 yard catch by Hodge last week? You know what I remember the most? Seeing Landry sprinting down the field to catapult his ass into 3 Steelers in hopes of springing Hodge for just a few more yards. Landry didn't end up helping the play and he missed the diving block, but I loved seeing it.
We get to see how Hunt plays with our team for 6 more games, and we can fine tune our offensive strategy to better incorporate the two stud RB's we have. I feel like Hunt is going to blow up on the field soon, and it might be against a poor defensive team like the Fins. This could be a very fun offense to watch for several years, and although I'm as frustrated as anyone about the lack of productivity THIS year, we still get 6 more games to watch us hopefully come together and get some more wins.
So? You have switched from Mr. Milktoast to either Mr. Negative or to Mr. Wishy Washy?
I get that it is a longshot.....but it is by no means impossible.
Tonight's game can be a start. While either losing helps, the Colts losing, I think, helps more....with the whole comparative conference record thing. The Browns will be only a game behind the loser. (If they win on Sunday...of course we can never assume). They would have an edge on the Colts in Conf. record (they do now): 5-3 to 5-5.
They are right now even with the Jags in the W/L column...but ahead in the Conf. record. (current 4-3 vs. 4-4).
We can really only look to leapfrogging one of these competitors at a time, it seems. We actually are ahead on leaps over the Jags. I think the Colts losing tonight makes a leap over them a lot shorter.
Titans, who we definitely cannot be tied with, play the Jags. Guess we gotta root for the Jags. Raiders play Jets..then Titans. Yes, it will take a lot because a lot of the teams we need to beat, play each other, so while we gain something on the one hand, we lose on the other.
So? You have switched from Mr. Milktoast to either Mr. Negative or to Mr. Wishy Washy?
I get that it is a longshot.....but it is by no means impossible.
Tonight's game can be a start. While either losing helps, the Colts losing, I think, helps more....with the whole comparative conference record thing. The Browns will be only a game behind the loser. (If they win on Sunday...of course we can never assume). They would have an edge on the Colts in Conf. record (they do now): 5-3 to 5-5.
They are right now even with the Jags in the W/L column...but ahead in the Conf. record. (current 4-3 vs. 4-4).
We can really only look to leapfrogging one of these competitors at a time, it seems. We actually are ahead on leaps over the Jags. I think the Colts losing tonight makes a leap over them a lot shorter.
Titans, who we definitely cannot be tied with, play the Jags. Guess we gotta root for the Jags. Raiders play Jets..then Titans. Yes, it will take a lot because a lot of the teams we need to beat, play each other, so while we gain something on the one hand, we lose on the other.
Gip the team that could help the Browns out the most is the Jets. They still have to play the Raiders, Steelers, Ravens, and Bills. Sorry if I think they're not good enough to beat any of them.
-
So? You have switched from Mr. Milktoast to either Mr. Negative or to Mr. Wishy Washy?
I get that it is a longshot.....but it is by no means impossible.
Tonight's game can be a start. While either losing helps, the Colts losing, I think, helps more....with the whole comparative conference record thing. The Browns will be only a game behind the loser. (If they win on Sunday...of course we can never assume). They would have an edge on the Colts in Conf. record (they do now): 5-3 to 5-5.
They are right now even with the Jags in the W/L column...but ahead in the Conf. record. (current 4-3 vs. 4-4).
We can really only look to leapfrogging one of these competitors at a time, it seems. We actually are ahead on leaps over the Jags. I think the Colts losing tonight makes a leap over them a lot shorter.
Titans, who we definitely cannot be tied with, play the Jags. Guess we gotta root for the Jags. Raiders play Jets..then Titans. Yes, it will take a lot because a lot of the teams we need to beat, play each other, so while we gain something on the one hand, we lose on the other.
Gip the team that could help the Browns out the most is the Jets. They still have to play the Raiders, Steelers, Ravens, and Bills. Sorry if I think they're not good enough to beat any of them.
Gip the team that could help the Browns out the most is the Jets. They still have to play the Raiders, Steelers, Ravens, and Bills. Sorry if I think they're not good enough to beat any of them.
Right....see the new Z thread. We both conceded that they need to pull of a couple of upsets....particularly the Raiders. But, even if they are no help....the NFCS has to come through for us.
-
Colts win tonight. That helps the Browns cause....a bit. One chip in the ante for us.
Texans win makes them 7-4 and in control in AFCS. Their conference record is 6-2
Colts are now 6-5. Conference record is 5-5
And to remind you: Browns are 4-6, but 4-3 in conference.
Also, technically, for now, Colts loss takes them out of playoff position....and puts the Raiders in at 6-4, currently.
-
And here is the rest of their schedule with the records of their opponents:
Dolphins 2-8
Steelers 5-5
Bengals 0-10
Cards 3-7-1
Ravens 8-2
Bengals 0-10
The teams with the best records....Ravens/Steelers, the Browns have already proven they can beat those teams.
3 games are at home and 3 are on the road.
Can we assume your pessimism is based on the fact that Garrett likely will be out? Understandable, but then you disparage the talent and character of the rest of that defense....which, admittedly has to prove that they can come through without their likely best player. But it seems that you are assuming that they just can't do that. We shall see.
And here is the rest of their schedule with the records of their opponents:
Dolphins 2-8
Steelers 5-5
Bengals 0-10
Cards 3-7-1
Ravens 8-2
Bengals 0-10
The teams with the best records....Ravens/Steelers, the Browns have already proven they can beat those teams.
3 games are at home and 3 are on the road.
Can we assume your pessimism is based on the fact that Garrett likely will be out? Understandable, but then you disparage the talent and character of the rest of that defense....which, admittedly has to prove that they can come through without their likely best player. But it seems that you are assuming that they just can't do that. We shall see.
I see 2 more loses, at least.
-
Colts win tonight. That helps the Browns cause....a bit. One chip in the ante for us.
Texans win makes them 7-4 and in control in AFCS. Their conference record is 6-2
Colts are now 6-5. Conference record is 5-5
And to remind you: Browns are 4-6, but 4-3 in conference.
Also, technically, for now, Colts loss takes them out of playoff position....and puts the Raiders in at 6-4, currently.
Colts win tonight. That helps the Browns cause....a bit. One chip in the ante for us.
Texans win makes them 7-4 and in control in AFCS. Their conference record is 6-2
Colts are now 6-5. Conference record is 5-5
And to remind you: Browns are 4-6, but 4-3 in conference.
Also, technically, for now, Colts loss takes them out of playoff position....and puts the Raiders in at 6-4, currently.
And one more loss...
-
Colts win tonight. That helps the Browns cause....a bit. One chip in the ante for us.
Texans win makes them 7-4 and in control in AFCS. Their conference record is 6-2
Colts are now 6-5. Conference record is 5-5
And to remind you: Browns are 4-6, but 4-3 in conference.
Also, technically, for now, Colts loss takes them out of playoff position....and puts the Raiders in at 6-4, currently.
And one more loss...
-
You have not been paying one bit of attention, have you.
I fixed it.
-
You have not been paying one bit of attention, have you.
I fixed it.
I fixed it.
I am just saying how even with another loss, we still have a fair shot at the playoffs. not optimal, but fair.
Hell, if the Browns did not suffer another loss at all in the season, I would almost be willing to guarantee that they would make the playoffs.
You, I think say that you see two more losses. OK, if that happens we are probably cooked.
-
Supposedly, this link...the NFL Playoff Machine, gives some kind of scenarios about how each team could make the playoffs (or not).
I have not taken the time to play with it, plus I am not sure I can figure it out. If any of you want to take a shot at it, see what you can come up with:
-
I fixed it.
I am just saying how even with another loss, we still have a fair shot at the playoffs. not optimal, but fair.
Hell, if the Browns did not suffer another loss at all in the season, I would almost be willing to guarantee that they would make the playoffs.
You, I think say that you see two more losses. OK, if that happens we are probably cooked.
I am just saying how even with another loss, we still have a fair shot at the playoffs. not optimal, but fair.
Truth.
Hell, if the Browns did not suffer another loss at all in the season, I would almost be willing to guarantee that they would make the playoffs.
More likely than not.
You, I think say that you see two more losses. OK, if that happens we are probably cooked.
But with that schedule. I may be wrong. The only real team is Balt. Pitt is a practice squad team, including at QB. Browns win that on a bad day. And Bengals x2, AZ, Fins. Doable.
-
-
Looks to me the Browns get a first round BYE... There was another scenario that had Cleveland vs. Pittsburgh in the Wildcard too...
Looks to me the Browns get a first round BYE... There was another scenario that had Cleveland vs. Pittsburgh in the Wildcard too...
Only playoff Bye we can get comes with a Buh in front of it.
We gotta win out.
Ravens are real and will not be coming back to the pack... but we still match up well with them. We jumped in front of them Week 4 and put pressure on their Offense. And while they've added Peters to their 2ndary (and we've lost MG) our Offense is finally gelling.
We can beat them again. Won't be easy, but we can beat them again.
-
Looks to me the Browns get a first round BYE... There was another scenario that had Cleveland vs. Pittsburgh in the Wildcard too...
Only playoff Bye we can get comes with a Buh in front of it.
We gotta win out.
Ravens are real and will not be coming back to the pack... but we still match up well with them. We jumped in front of them Week 4 and put pressure on their Offense. And while they've added Peters to their 2ndary (and we've lost MG) our Offense is finally gelling.
We can beat them again. Won't be easy, but we can beat them again.
Only playoff Bye we can get comes with a Buh in front of it.
We gotta win out.
Ravens are real and will not be coming back to the pack... but we still match up well with them. We jumped in front of them Week 4 and put pressure on their Offense. And while they've added Peters to their 2ndary (and we've lost MG) our Offense is finally gelling.
We can beat them again. Won't be easy, but we can beat them again.
And correct me if I am wrong, that game is one of our remaining home games. Browns have taken care of home field 3 weeks now.
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login