The Truth about Myles/Rudolph
-
You went a completely different direction though that shocked me. I don't find Garrett's hits during the jets game dirty at all. They weren't even late. It was only a penalty cause he wasn't able to keep his full body weight from landing on the qb which is hard to do when you're mid air diving to hit the qb. While yes it is a penalty I didn't see it as dirty or have any Ill will behind the hits
I honestly didn't even know anyone considered those dirty.
You're a Cleveland fan so of course nobody thinks he should have been penalized vrs the Jets or he's played any dirty football yet. The hit that really stood out was the 1 he ended their backup QB's season. If ANYONE did that exact same thing to our QB in a game - trust me when I tell you all the same Cleveland fans that were telling you it wasn't dirty would be telling you it is dirty. I promise. Didn't one of the commentators mention he wouldn't be surprised if there's a fine from the league after it? He was penalized 2-3 times that game - but that doesn't mean they were all dirty the way Refs baby QBs. The 1 that ended the guy's season was avoidable IMO. When they
Overall, I don't think MG is a dirty player. I just have 2 WTF moments with him that took place on prime-time TV that can lead people to think he is dirty; especially if they haven't watched him every week since he arrived here. I don't want people thinking this guy is the next Burfict because he isn't. He's just gotta exercise better judgement/self-control in the 2 situations a lot of eyes saw in the 2 Night Games we're talking about.
Didn't one of the commentators mention he wouldn't be surprised if there's a fine from the league after it?
If it happened it was after the first one. I watched the following 5 plays after the 2nd one that resulted in the injury and nothing was said. The first one I only got to watch play and replay which only thing said during that was blandino saying "nothing wrong with the timing of the hit but they're going to get him for body weight on qb. It's a judgement call but supportable based on how their chests lined up." Then Booger said that was just a good hit in my day.
Again im not arguing it is not a penalty. It absolutely is based on the rule. I just don't think it's dirty unless you operate under the idea all penalties are dirty plays.
I looked it up and Garrett was fined for both hits. Here comes another example of my non-bias. Jamal Adams was also fined for his hit on Baker in that game which I don't think was a dirty play.
Now I don't know if the nfl only fines if they feel they are dirty plays or if they fine most all roughing the passer penalties. If the latter is the case then it's asinine and they should fine every player that gets a 15 yard penalty, but ultimately I'm ok with Garrett and Adams both getting fines if that's how they do it. However if fines are supposed to be for dirty plays I dont believe either player should have been given a fine.
Honestly I would have assumed they only fined for dirty plays but after decastro got fined for playing peacemaker and trying to break up a fight then nothing the NFL fines for would surprise me.
-
Didn't one of the commentators mention he wouldn't be surprised if there's a fine from the league after it?
If it happened it was after the first one. I watched the following 5 plays after the 2nd one that resulted in the injury and nothing was said. The first one I only got to watch play and replay which only thing said during that was blandino saying "nothing wrong with the timing of the hit but they're going to get him for body weight on qb. It's a judgement call but supportable based on how their chests lined up." Then Booger said that was just a good hit in my day.
Again im not arguing it is not a penalty. It absolutely is based on the rule. I just don't think it's dirty unless you operate under the idea all penalties are dirty plays.
I looked it up and Garrett was fined for both hits. Here comes another example of my non-bias. Jamal Adams was also fined for his hit on Baker in that game which I don't think was a dirty play.
Now I don't know if the nfl only fines if they feel they are dirty plays or if they fine most all roughing the passer penalties. If the latter is the case then it's asinine and they should fine every player that gets a 15 yard penalty, but ultimately I'm ok with Garrett and Adams both getting fines if that's how they do it. However if fines are supposed to be for dirty plays I dont believe either player should have been given a fine.
Honestly I would have assumed they only fined for dirty plays but after decastro got fined for playing peacemaker and trying to break up a fight then nothing the NFL fines for would surprise me.
If it happened it was after the first one. I watched the following 5 plays after the 2nd one that resulted in the injury and nothing was said. The first one I only got to watch play and replay which only thing said during that was blandino saying "nothing wrong with the timing of the hit but they're going to get him for body weight on qb. It's a judgement call but supportable based on how their chests lined up." Then Booger said that was just a good hit in my day.
Again im not arguing it is not a penalty. It absolutely is based on the rule. I just don't think it's dirty unless you operate under the idea all penalties are dirty plays.
I agree with a lot of your points! That said, let's apply the physics of a 270 lb DE that can run about a 4.58 sprinting with about a 15 yard head of steam to the sideline where the QB released the ball prior to the hit and pounce. That's why that hit got him the $45 K fine. This video I attached below isn't great because it goes down field with the ball instead of zooming in on the hit. However, they do go back and show the hit focusing mostly on the leg breaking. While you are correct in saying/thinking it's hard to stop a full head of steam. If you are an athletic freak like Garrett is - you can hit and turn while doing so. I've seen guys exhibit this kind of body control. I saw someone with far less athletic ability do that to Aaron Rodgers 2-3 weeks ago so he landed on his side next to Rodgers trying to prevent a flag. He still got flagged and that was ridiculous.
When we played Seattle, they got 4 penalties in Wilson's go ahead drive late which I questioned a couple of those. If anything, I'm a homer that protests a lot of penalties against us. Classic example? Last year when Ben got outside of the pocket on 4th and goal from the 9 looking to run or throw (with the body weight of 260 lbs on a 6'6" frame) - Garrett tackled him like a ball carrier and got flagged. This gave Pitt 4 new downs and 1st and goal from the 5 instead of the FG they would have ended up with in a game that ended tied in regulation and OT. I definitely had a problem with the call and it cost a win over Pittsburgh IMO.
-
Thing that I think has to be remembered is that the all MG's "roughing" penalties came in the first two weeks of the season when pass rushers were trying to figure what and where the lines were when it came to the QB.
-
-
Thing that I think has to be remembered is that the all MG's "roughing" penalties came in the first two weeks of the season when pass rushers were trying to figure what and where the lines were when it came to the QB.
Thing that I think has to be remembered is that the all MG's "roughing" penalties came in the first two weeks of the season when pass rushers were trying to figure what and where the lines were when it came to the QB.
i said something similar earlier and i was fairly certain he hadn't got a roughing the passer penalty since that jets week.
Again i truly think Garrett was trying to avoid one of those full body weight penalties when he hit Rudolph and that's actually what started the whole fiasco. Rudolph likely felt he took him to the ground late when really Garrett was just trying to take him down without landing on him.
-
Thing that I think has to be remembered is that the all MG's "roughing" penalties came in the first two weeks of the season when pass rushers were trying to figure what and where the lines were when it came to the QB.
i said something similar earlier and i was fairly certain he hadn't got a roughing the passer penalty since that jets week.
Again i truly think Garrett was trying to avoid one of those full body weight penalties when he hit Rudolph and that's actually what started the whole fiasco. Rudolph likely felt he took him to the ground late when really Garrett was just trying to take him down without landing on him.
i said something similar earlier and i was fairly certain he hadn't got a roughing the passer penalty since that jets week.
Again i truly think Garrett was trying to avoid one of those full body weight penalties when he hit Rudolph and that's actually what started the whole fiasco. Rudolph likely felt he took him to the ground late when really Garrett was just trying to take him down without landing on him.
Exactly. Garrett didn't want that penalty for squishing the squealer qb, so he went out of his way to have him land on HIM.
and still sissy mason went on a hissy fit. An adopted sister-in -law said she heard the Browns-Squealers game was going to have a seasoned, veteran ref squad there, and some NFL officials may be there.
Way too late- you let it get out of hand by favoring the steelers all these years.
-
Thing that I think has to be remembered is that the all MG's "roughing" penalties came in the first two weeks of the season when pass rushers were trying to figure what and where the lines were when it came to the QB.
i said something similar earlier and i was fairly certain he hadn't got a roughing the passer penalty since that jets week.
Again i truly think Garrett was trying to avoid one of those full body weight penalties when he hit Rudolph and that's actually what started the whole fiasco. Rudolph likely felt he took him to the ground late when really Garrett was just trying to take him down without landing on him.
Again i truly think Garrett was trying to avoid one of those full body weight penalties when he hit Rudolph and that's actually what started the whole fiasco. Rudolph likely felt he took him to the ground late when really Garrett was just trying to take him down without landing on him.
Yup... Could not have laid him more gently on the ground... kind of a slo-mo take down that I'm sure seemed late and later to Rudolph... with the irritation then magnified by Mason's "performance".
-
i said something similar earlier and i was fairly certain he hadn't got a roughing the passer penalty since that jets week.
Again i truly think Garrett was trying to avoid one of those full body weight penalties when he hit Rudolph and that's actually what started the whole fiasco. Rudolph likely felt he took him to the ground late when really Garrett was just trying to take him down without landing on him.
Exactly. Garrett didn't want that penalty for squishing the squealer qb, so he went out of his way to have him land on HIM.
and still sissy mason went on a hissy fit. An adopted sister-in -law said she heard the Browns-Squealers game was going to have a seasoned, veteran ref squad there, and some NFL officials may be there.
Way too late- you let it get out of hand by favoring the steelers all these years.
Exactly. Garrett didn't want that penalty for squishing the squealer qb, so he went out of his way to have him land on HIM.
and still sissy mason went on a hissy fit. An adopted sister-in -law said she heard the Browns-Squealers game was going to have a seasoned, veteran ref squad there, and some NFL officials may be there.
Way too late- you let it get out of hand by favoring the Steelers all these years.
I have the over\under on ejections in the game at 2-1\2.
For sure the game will be very tightly officiated....
Been reported Cal.... The Browns- Steelers get Clay Martin's crew. Clay has 5 seasons of experience as a ref, and everyone else has at least 4 years on the job. FWIW, lives in Oklahoma and is a HS basketball coach. Doubtless the NFL Ref job pays a lot better.
Martin's 2019 NFL officiating crew consists of umpire Fred Bryan, down judge Jerod Phillips, line judge Gary Arthur, field judge Nate Jones, side judge Greg Gautreaux, back judge Greg Wilson, replay official Tom Sifferman, and replay assistant Gavin Anderson.
OTOH, as usual, the Patriots get multi SB ref Tony Corriente's crew. For future reference, there's a site Football zebras- that posts this stuff....
-
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login