Our Bet, Draft specuation
-
Yeah barring injury Burrow is going to be selected number 1. That hometown kid thing is really going to solidify it with the fanbase also. Which if the redskins select second and take young he'll be going back home also.
Well, he's really not a hometown kid- not in the sense Trubisky would have been if the Browns had drafted him. Athens is over 100 miles from Cinci- but he is an OHIO kid, having played at Ohio State.
Well, he's really not a hometown kid- not in the sense Trubisky would have been if the Browns had drafted him. Athens is over 100 miles from Cinci- but he is an OHIO kid, having played at Ohio State.
I think today's players are more concerned with going to a winner -or- maybe just the big numbers.
-
Today's players, no more than yesterday's players, do not have a choice as to where they are drafted. The post you made is also irrelevent....because they basically have no choice on their compensation.
On the other hand, once their initial contract ends, then they have choices.
-
You can just can the speculation on Stafford. (pun intended.) Matt is going nowhere in 2020- not with a $31 million cap hit albatross. Washington, Lions, and Giants will all be desirous of getting Young. MHO is trade speculation starts at the #2 pick. Oh, the Redskins will just sit at #2 and take Young- no one is jumping ahead of them to take Chase, that would only happen to take a QB- and I don't see any realistic trade that would have the Bengals trading down and missing out on the chance to get Joe
I'll let you off if the Bengals decide to trade the pick, but it's a damn near certainty they won't. Not with Esiason giving Joe a Bengals helmet on the NFL Today pregame. And if you want any more proof you're gonna lose this bet, intrepid Cincinnati marketeers are already hawking unlicensed Burrow jerseys. https://bengalswire.usatoday.com/2019/12/23/joe-burrow-bengals-jersey-nfl-draft/
There'd be an uprising in Bungledom if the Bungles take anyone but Joe. I've seen some draft rags calling Burrow the best qb prospect since Andrew Luck. Walter is a little less effusive in his praise, but still considers him the lock #1 pick...
"It's clear by now that Ryan Finley is not the long-term answer, so the Bengals will want to select a franchise quarterback with the top pick in the 2020 NFL Draft. Tua Tagovailoa is no longer the option because of his devastating injury, but it doesn't even matter anymore, based on what Joe Burrow has accomplished.
Burrow has improved exponentially, and he's now the no-brainer No. 1 overall selection."The only way the Bengals don't take Joe is in the unfortunate event he suffers a catastrophic injury in the College Playoffs.
Actually, I would be the one letting YOU off....because I say "Young, no matter what" at #1, be it Bengals, Giants, Redskins whomever.
Maybe we should wait and see if the Bitchy Pussies do the trade before determining if the bet is off...for, if they don't the suggestion of letting the bet go is superfluous. I only brought it up because it was brought up on the radio.....and it does provide a subject for some interesting speculation.
Fair to say?
Actually, I would be the one letting YOU off....because I say "Young, no matter what" at #1, be it Bengals, Giants, Redskins whomever.
Maybe we should wait and see if the Bitchy Pussies do the trade before determining if the bet is off...for, if they don't the suggestion of letting the bet go is superfluous. I only brought it up because it was brought up on the radio.....and it does provide a subject for some interesting speculation.
Fair to say?
Bull, I said Burrow #1 to the Bengals, you're the one trying to muddy the waters.
Now you're trying to throw some trade crap in there? I was PERFECTLY clear what I meant. And Young ISN'T going to the Bengals at #1 regardless. Care to double down?
-
Actually, I would be the one letting YOU off....because I say "Young, no matter what" at #1, be it Bengals, Giants, Redskins whomever.
Maybe we should wait and see if the Bitchy Pussies do the trade before determining if the bet is off...for, if they don't the suggestion of letting the bet go is superfluous. I only brought it up because it was brought up on the radio.....and it does provide a subject for some interesting speculation.
Fair to say?
Bull, I said Burrow #1 to the Bengals, you're the one trying to muddy the waters.
Now you're trying to throw some trade crap in there? I was PERFECTLY clear what I meant. And Young ISN'T going to the Bengals at #1 regardless. Care to double down?
Bull, I said Burrow #1 to the Bengals, you're the one trying to muddy the waters.
Now you're trying to throw some trade crap in there? I was PERFECTLY clear what I meant. And Young ISN'T going to the Bengals at #1 regardless. Care to double down?
That’s right you said Burrow number one to the Bengals you didn’t say Burrow number two or number three or number four.
-
Bull, I said Burrow #1 to the Bengals, you're the one trying to muddy the waters.
Now you're trying to throw some trade crap in there? I was PERFECTLY clear what I meant. And Young ISN'T going to the Bengals at #1 regardless. Care to double down?
That’s right you said Burrow number one to the Bengals you didn’t say Burrow number two or number three or number four.
That’s right you said Burrow number one to the Bengals you didn’t say Burrow number two or number three or number four.
Gipper you are definitely trying to muddy the waters in your original post in here you said that Larry said the BENGALS would take burrow at 1 and you said the BENGALS would take young at 1. Seems to be the bet was made based on who the BENGALS would pick at 1 not just who the pick at number 1 would be. If you made that exact bet in vegas and the Bengals traded out of the number 1 pick the bet would be void.
-
That’s right you said Burrow number one to the Bengals you didn’t say Burrow number two or number three or number four.
Gipper you are definitely trying to muddy the waters in your original post in here you said that Larry said the BENGALS would take burrow at 1 and you said the BENGALS would take young at 1. Seems to be the bet was made based on who the BENGALS would pick at 1 not just who the pick at number 1 would be. If you made that exact bet in vegas and the Bengals traded out of the number 1 pick the bet would be void.
Gipper you are definitely trying to muddy the waters in your original post in here you said that Larry said the BENGALS would take burrow at 1 and you said the BENGALS would take young at 1. Seems to be the bet was made based on who the BENGALS would pick at 1 not just who the pick at number 1 would be. If you made that exact bet in vegas and the Bengals traded out of the number 1 pick the bet would be void.
OK, fair enough. I guess. Like I said, my question was what should be the disposition of the bet if the Bengals traded the pick. I only "muddied it up" because some national radio/tv guys had a discussion about what would happen if the Bengals made a trade.
So, nothing is muddied until and unless that happens. That is how I see it.
-
Actually, I would be the one letting YOU off....because I say "Young, no matter what" at #1, be it Bengals, Giants, Redskins whomever.
Maybe we should wait and see if the Bitchy Pussies do the trade before determining if the bet is off...for, if they don't the suggestion of letting the bet go is superfluous. I only brought it up because it was brought up on the radio.....and it does provide a subject for some interesting speculation.
Fair to say?
Bull, I said Burrow #1 to the Bengals, you're the one trying to muddy the waters.
Now you're trying to throw some trade crap in there? I was PERFECTLY clear what I meant. And Young ISN'T going to the Bengals at #1 regardless. Care to double down?
Bull, I said Burrow #1 to the Bengals, you're the one trying to muddy the waters.
It's going to be Burrow unless they're fools. I REALLY like him, and I think he would have EASILY been the first pick in the 2018 draft. Limited time as a starter, but his pocket awareness translates so freaking well IMO.
I'm officially terrified that Baker is ruined. You don't set rookie records and then all of the sudden start sucking. Something is going on and we all need to hope a new coaching staff can get him back on track. I wouldn't bet against Baker, but this entire season has been choppy as hell. Two steps forward, three backwards. He hasn't even feasted on the bad defenses, something he excelled at last year. I still believe in him, but let's be honest, next year will likely be the "put up or shut up" time of his young career.
-
If I was Zombo I would change Gipper's handle to:
Muddy Waters
-
If I was Zombo I would change Gipper's handle to:
Muddy Waters
If I was Zombo I would change Gipper's handle to:
Muddy Waters
Well, like I said, I brought it up only because national media types did, and because, again, like I said, I thought it could be an interesting subject for discussion : the possibility of the Bengals trading the pick. It could be that whether or not Hoorta and I had a bet going or not. It may be a bit premature now, but it was brought up elsewhere.
Or, are you diametrically opposed to having any matter that can be an interesting subject for discussion brought up here?
-
If I was Zombo I would change Gipper's handle to:
Muddy Waters
Well, like I said, I brought it up only because national media types did, and because, again, like I said, I thought it could be an interesting subject for discussion : the possibility of the Bengals trading the pick. It could be that whether or not Hoorta and I had a bet going or not. It may be a bit premature now, but it was brought up elsewhere.
Or, are you diametrically opposed to having any matter that can be an interesting subject for discussion brought up here?
Well, like I said, I brought it up only because national media types did, and because, again, like I said, I thought it could be an interesting subject for discussion : the possibility of the Bengals trading the pick. It could be that whether or not Hoorta and I had a bet going or not. It may be a bit premature now, but it was brought up elsewhere.
Or, are you diametrically opposed to having any matter that can be an interesting subject for discussion brought up here?
Is it possible the Bengals would entertain trading the pick? Sure, anythings possible. But very, very unlikely they would do so. I've mentioned some draft rags are putting Joe on an Andrew Luck level of talent, and the Colts weren't trading out of #1 for Luck regardless of how silly the offers got. If Burrow shines in the playoffs, and brings the National championship to LSU, count on the Bengals asking price for the pick being prohibitive.
It will be at least three first round picks & a lot more.
& MHO that article suggesting a possible trade was just click bait, like Urban Meyer to the Browns level hot air.
-
Well, like I said, I brought it up only because national media types did, and because, again, like I said, I thought it could be an interesting subject for discussion : the possibility of the Bengals trading the pick. It could be that whether or not Hoorta and I had a bet going or not. It may be a bit premature now, but it was brought up elsewhere.
Or, are you diametrically opposed to having any matter that can be an interesting subject for discussion brought up here?
Is it possible the Bengals would entertain trading the pick? Sure, anythings possible. But very, very unlikely they would do so. I've mentioned some draft rags are putting Joe on an Andrew Luck level of talent, and the Colts weren't trading out of #1 for Luck regardless of how silly the offers got. If Burrow shines in the playoffs, and brings the National championship to LSU, count on the Bengals asking price for the pick being prohibitive.
It will be at least three first round picks & a lot more.
& MHO that article suggesting a possible trade was just click bait, like Urban Meyer to the Browns level hot air.
Is it possible the Bengals would entertain trading the pick? Sure, anythings possible. But very, very unlikely they would do so. I've mentioned some draft rags are putting Joe on an Andrew Luck level of talent, and the Colts weren't trading out of #1 for Luck regardless of how silly the offers got. If Burrow shines in the playoffs, and brings the National championship to LSU, count on the Bengals asking price for the pick being prohibitive.
It will be at least three first round picks & a lot more.
OK, sure. Like I said, forget that we have a bet going.....As I said, this discussion on the radio involved a potential bidding war between the Redskins and Giants for the services of Young. IF the Bengals hold still, then the Redskins currently have the #2....and they would need to do nothing. But, as mentioned, what if the Giants were willing to give up a host in order to jump the Skins.
The difference between this situation and the LUck situation would be that there, any team that was offering to trade with Indy was in order to get Luck. Here, the trade offers would not be to get the QB the Bengals may want, but another player. The issue could be: Can the Bengals eat their cake and have it too: Could they still get Burrows...AND get something very valuable in addition. If the Bengals were shrewd (something they have never been accused of)...they could even say: Washington, give us your number 2 pick plus X, in order that we do not trade down with NYG. They get Burrows and X...whatever that may be. Their 2d round or 3rd round pick...or a future pick.
-
Is it possible the Bengals would entertain trading the pick? Sure, anythings possible. But very, very unlikely they would do so. I've mentioned some draft rags are putting Joe on an Andrew Luck level of talent, and the Colts weren't trading out of #1 for Luck regardless of how silly the offers got. If Burrow shines in the playoffs, and brings the National championship to LSU, count on the Bengals asking price for the pick being prohibitive.
It will be at least three first round picks & a lot more.
OK, sure. Like I said, forget that we have a bet going.....As I said, this discussion on the radio involved a potential bidding war between the Redskins and Giants for the services of Young. IF the Bengals hold still, then the Redskins currently have the #2....and they would need to do nothing. But, as mentioned, what if the Giants were willing to give up a host in order to jump the Skins.
The difference between this situation and the LUck situation would be that there, any team that was offering to trade with Indy was in order to get Luck. Here, the trade offers would not be to get the QB the Bengals may want, but another player. The issue could be: Can the Bengals eat their cake and have it too: Could they still get Burrows...AND get something very valuable in addition. If the Bengals were shrewd (something they have never been accused of)...they could even say: Washington, give us your number 2 pick plus X, in order that we do not trade down with NYG. They get Burrows and X...whatever that may be. Their 2d round or 3rd round pick...or a future pick.
OK, sure. Like I said, forget that we have a bet going.....As I said, this discussion on the radio involved a potential bidding war between the Redskins and Giants for the services of Young. See below- there's NOT going to be a bidding war for Chase. Total fallacy. IF the Bengals hold still, then the Redskins currently have the #2....and they would need to do nothing. But, as mentioned, what if the Giants were willing to give up a host in order to jump the Skins.
The difference between this situation and the Luck situation would be that there, any team that was offering to trade with Indy was in order to get Luck. Here, the trade offers would not be to get the QB the Bengals may want, but another player. The issue could be: Can the Bengals eat their cake and have it too: Could they still get Burrows...AND get something very valuable in addition. If the Bengals were shrewd (something they have never been accused of)...they could even say: Washington, give us your number 2 pick plus X, in order that we do not trade down with NYG. They get Burrows and X...whatever that may be. Their 2d round or 3rd round pick...or a future pick.
That's where the hot air comes in Gipper- and whoever was speculating it doesn't know what the Sam Heck they're talking about. There is absolutely ZERO, no chance in hell the Bengals would trade down to the #4 hole. Because- of the possibility some QB needy team could jump up to the Lions #3 pick and take Burrow. <POOF> THERE GOES JOE. And I've already said- the Lions are stuck with Stafford for 2020, because of the $31 million cap hit on his contract. You can be certain Detroit's phone would be ringing off the hook if Burrow was still available at #3. Not only that if Young did go #1, the Redskins would be fielding deals for the #2 pick, because they already have Haskins. Yeah- and the Bengals would trade back up from #4 to #3- but the Bengals GM isn't Kevin Costner, and this isn't a recreation of Draft Day. Except maybe the guy suggesting something like that imagined it was.
Two other things that doofus wasn't considering. NO team is going to break the bank for a defensive player, regardless of his potential. Young isn't going to be valued that highly- except maybe in your mind. In case you missed it- Michigan pretty much neutralized him with double team blocking. Secondly- the Redskins will be dead certain the Bengals are taking Burrow, so why would they want to waste draft capital?
So the Bengals will take Joe, and the Redskins will be sitting pretty in the second hole and take Young. It's just too damn simple. Looks like the silly season is starting early.
The reality of the situation is you only trade up to #1 if you're taking a QB- the cost in draft capital is far too high to even remotely consider taking anything else.
PS- Historically, the Bengals don't do draft day trades, especially in the first round. I can't recall them ever doing so.
-
OK, we shall see.
-
The original proposition was the Bengals draft young at 1 vs the Bengals draft burrow at 1. Not young will be drafted at 1 vs Burrow will be drafted at 1. So you're statement above isn't sticking to the original proposition. Its changing the original proposition.
I agree that by the Bengals trading the #1 pick, the original proposition is changed. We/I never thought about the possibility of the Bengals trading down until I heard it stated on the radio.The original proposition was the Bengals draft young at 1 vs the Bengals draft burrow at 1. Not young will be drafted at 1 vs Burrow will be drafted at 1. So you're statement above isn't sticking to the original proposition. Its changing the original proposition.
I agree that by the Bengals trading the #1 pick, the original proposition is changed. We/I never thought about the possibility of the Bengals trading down until I heard it stated on the radio.Nope....if the Bengals don't pick Young at #1, you lose. It's that simple. Quit trying to manipulate the jury.
-
The original proposition was the Bengals draft young at 1 vs the Bengals draft burrow at 1. Not young will be drafted at 1 vs Burrow will be drafted at 1. So you're statement above isn't sticking to the original proposition. Its changing the original proposition.
I agree that by the Bengals trading the #1 pick, the original proposition is changed. We/I never thought about the possibility of the Bengals trading down until I heard it stated on the radio.Nope....if the Bengals don't pick Young at #1, you lose. It's that simple. Quit trying to manipulate the jury.
-
Maybe I'm wrong but this look like a draft thread. Maybe The word draft in the title threw me.
?
WSS
-
Maybe I'm wrong but this look like a draft thread. Maybe The word draft in the title threw me.
?
WSS
Maybe I'm wrong but this look like a draft thread. Maybe The word draft in the title threw me.
?
WSS
Yea, maybe, a bit of a different one though.
-
The original proposition was the Bengals draft young at 1 vs the Bengals draft burrow at 1. Not young will be drafted at 1 vs Burrow will be drafted at 1. So you're statement above isn't sticking to the original proposition. Its changing the original proposition.
I agree that by the Bengals trading the #1 pick, the original proposition is changed. We/I never thought about the possibility of the Bengals trading down until I heard it stated on the radio.Nope....if the Bengals don't pick Young at #1, you lose. It's that simple. Quit trying to manipulate the jury.
-
And if the Bengals trade the pick, it's a wash.
No team in their right mind is going to trade up to #1 just to take Young.
Our bet aside, why not? He is considered the most dominant defensive player to be available since....I don't know what. I think he rated higher than Miles Garrett. If a franchise QB is not your necessity.....but a monster DE is.....then why not try for him?
Maybe you can say that the Bengals should never trade the rights to Burrows, and maybe you are right....but that does not mean that other teams should not inquire, or even make offers. Right now, per early reports, those two: Burrows and Young are the creme de la creme of available talent it seems.
It seems possible that teams at the bottom can be as competitive as teams at the top. Teams want that #1 seed.....and, this year, teams want either that #1 or #2 draft pick. As good, perhaps, as they may be, the likes of Jeff Okudah DB, Andrew Thomas OT, Jerry Jeudy WR, are not considered the prospects that Burrows and Young are, are they?
-
And if the Bengals trade the pick, it's a wash.
No team in their right mind is going to trade up to #1 just to take Young.
Our bet aside, why not? He is considered the most dominant defensive player to be available since....I don't know what. I think he rated higher than Miles Garrett. If a franchise QB is not your necessity.....but a monster DE is.....then why not try for him?
Maybe you can say that the Bengals should never trade the rights to Burrows, and maybe you are right....but that does not mean that other teams should not inquire, or even make offers. Right now, per early reports, those two: Burrows and Young are the creme de la creme of available talent it seems.
It seems possible that teams at the bottom can be as competitive as teams at the top. Teams want that #1 seed.....and, this year, teams want either that #1 or #2 draft pick. As good, perhaps, as they may be, the likes of Jeff Okudah DB, Andrew Thomas OT, Jerry Jeudy WR, are not considered the prospects that Burrows and Young are, are they?
Our bet aside, why not? He is considered the most dominant defensive player to be available since....I don't know what. I think he rated higher than Miles Garrett. If a franchise QB is not your necessity.....but a monster DE is.....then why not try for him?
Maybe you can say that the Bengals should never trade the rights to Burrows, and maybe you are right....but that does not mean that other teams should not inquire, or even make offers. Right now, per early reports, those two: Burrows and Young are the creme de la creme of available talent it seems.
It seems possible that teams at the bottom can be as competitive as teams at the top. Teams want that #1 seed.....and, this year, teams want either that #1 or #2 draft pick. As good, perhaps, as they may be, the likes of Jeff Okudah DB, Andrew Thomas OT, Jerry Jeudy WR, are not considered the prospects that Burrows and Young are, are they?
With the #1 pick, Cinci can start talking to prospects as soon as they have an agent. Of course other teams can ask the Bengals what they want for the #1 pick, and the Bengals can ask for something so ridiculous, no one will give them what they want. AND- here's why the Giants won't- and can't move up from #4 to #1 JUST for Young. The draft value chart says it would cost them their #4, the second and third round picks this year, and a first next year. That's just to move up three spots. QB needy teams lower down in the draft order won't possibly be able to offer the Bengals enough to move up that high.
Young- best since Kahlil Mack. Same size as Garrett. We'll see how he's rated after the combine. Sure, clearly the best defensive prospect in a couple years. But as I said-
1) The Bengals are much further along on defense as opposed to offense.
2) It's a damn near certainty Cinci is moving on from Dalton, they can trade or cut him in 2020 with no cap repercussions. (I'm seeing that almost dally down here in the local news)
3) In the 2017 draft when Garrett with #1 overall, there wasn't a QB prospect anywhere close to where Joe is going to be rated. You can bet the ranch with 20\20 hindsight, based on current NFL production, the Browns would have taken Mahomes over Myles. Pre draft Myles was a 7X prospect as opposed to Pat's 5X. Shit, NFL.com thought he might go in the second round.
4) With Dalton gone- it's a foregone conclusion they're taking a QB.
and we beat Mahomes to death in draft prospects - here's the negatives....
WEAKNESSES
Can be inconsistent in his approach. Needs to play inside the offense and show more discipline. Too eager to go big game hunting. Ravenous appetite for the explosive play can also bring unwanted trouble. Willingness to default to playground style appears to limit his ability to get into a consistent rhythm. Needs to improve anticipatory reads and learn to take what the defense gives him. Decision making can go from good to bad in a moment's notice. Operates from a narrow base and allows his upper body and arm to race ahead of his feet. Has a dip and wind-up in his standard release. Explosive delivery and follow-through causes some throws to sail. Needs better touch on intermediate and deep balls. Carries ball a little low in the pocket. Impatient. Will leave pocket prematurely rather than standing in and winning in rhythm. Better as a scrambler than pure runner. Looked a little less mobile in the open field this season.
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login