Skip to content

Browns to interview McCarthy

Locked The Browns Board
192 41 5.9k
  • Kicked this ahead about 19 minutes.. aired about 2 weeks ago

         your choice to maybe start around 4 minute'ish..         

  • @tiamat63 said:


    Almost every player in the NFL is a millennial.  So I have zero idea what this comment is supposed to mean.  Hell, Tom Brady is damn near in that generational group and he's 40.

     re: McCarthy - dude needs to learn how to run the ball.   Had some decent tailbacks in Green Bay and never finished higher than 16th in rushing.

    I’ll spell it out for you because not all are bad some are just more entitled than others.  Would you agree we have a few divas ?  
     

    the run game was window dressing with Rodgers and those 3/4 WRs they had -  fortunate to have to that by the way.  It would be an injustice not to go four wide and sling it all around with those tools 
     

    @sdbacker80 said:

    I’ll spell it out for you because not all are bad some are just more entitled than others.  Would you agree we have a few divas ?  
     

    the run game was window dressing with Rodgers and those 3/4 WRs they had -  fortunate to have to that by the way.  It would be an injustice not to go four wide and sling it all around with those tools 
     

    I'm curious who those few are? For as terrible ODB is made to be, he really wasn't all that bad.  At times, he was giving more senatorial answers and level headed responses than our own QB.

    Who else would you include?  Myles?... Pass.  Landry? Pass.  

    Baker is on that fence.

    And all that window dressing meant little when you have a spotty Oline, lack committment to the running game in the red zone and field one of the leagues worst defenses.   The Pack around then was Rodgers, his receivers, and not a whole hell of a lot else.   

  • i'll take a proven MCcarthy over anyone of the ones listed. Like someone said above, he would garner the respect of the locker room immediately. And with that instill the discipline this team needs and craves. 

  • A AP1

    I may be too simple of a man but a little research on Mike McCarthy shows that in 12 seasons in Green Bay he was 135-85-2. Included in that record is a 10-8 playoff record with one Super Bowl championship. 

    The Browns have won 47 games since 1999. Should one count the Browns last 18 playoff games, they would have to go back to 1968. I don't care if it was the NFC North.

    Why would any fan be against such a hire? What have we really to lose as fans? We tried the next genius on the coaching tree, a couple times. We tried the lightening in a bottle offensive-minded du jour a time or two. We tried the defensive guy. We had a disciplinarian, he was not retained. We tried the up and coming offensive mind diamond in the rough. Remember when we were all afraid someone might snatch Freddie up? We even let a rookie have his input in the process. 

    How about a guy that just wins? 

    Let's not over complicate and over analyze. That road, in my opinion, has not previously worked.

    @ap1 said:

    I may be too simple of a man but a little research on Mike McCarthy shows that in 12 seasons in Green Bay he was 135-85-2. Included in that record is a 10-8 playoff record with one Super Bowl championship. 

    The Browns have won 47 games since 1999. Should one count the Browns last 18 playoff games, they would have to go back to 1968. I don't care if it was the NFC North.

    Why would any fan be against such a hire? What have we really to lose as fans? We tried the next genius on the coaching tree, a couple times. We tried the lightening in a bottle offensive-minded du jour a time or two. We tried the defensive guy. We had a disciplinarian, he was not retained. We tried the up and coming offensive mind diamond in the rough. Remember when we were all afraid someone might snatch Freddie up? We even let a rookie have his input in the process. 

    How about a guy that just wins? 

    Let's not over complicate and over analyze. That road, in my opinion, has not previously worked.

    Spot on with “trying the next genius on the coaching tree.”

    I would like the next guy to try to win with the core we have but with slight modifications to personnel.   When Dorsey was fired my first reaction was well here we again with 50% roster turnover.  If Depo is really in charge I have to think we keep the core and modify some of the fringe pieces.  
     

    all I want in the next HC is a proven LEADER and I think with this team that leader needs to have a proven record.  And next this HC needs to really make three key hires OC and DC of course but the QB coach very important to get inside  Bakers mechanics and head.

  • Correct me if am wrong here ?.. Browns 1st interview is with McCarthy like Tomorrow* 'Thursday' .. than i see reports only interviewing Robert Saleh in san fran this* weekend? (and yes Jimmy your flying to me)  Meanwhile Skins have a coach & signed a decent D cord & somehow we have 8 to 10 more interviews to have? This year is off to a banging start..Tia, Can ya get a crew together to run our defense?

    @gumby73 said:

    Tia, Can ya get a crew together to run our defense?

    I would be happy just working on personnel.    But I have some phone calls to make if you're insisting.

    Going to be weird explaining my defensive motto to ownership and managment though...

    2e67es6.jpg

  • doesnt it seem odd to anyone that haslem would do his presser in the middle of McCarthy interview

  • doesnt it seem odd to anyone that haslem would do his presser in the middle of McCarthy interview

    @atom said:

    doesnt it seem odd to anyone that haslem would do his presser in the middle of McCarthy interview

    I don’t know if that’s the case I thought the interview took place already.


    It’s more of a concern That we are picking the coach and not having a GM direct the efforts gonna be interesting power struggle I guess or they will go with a young and up and comer that doesn’t care. 

  • @atom said:

    doesnt it seem odd to anyone that haslem would do his presser in the middle of McCarthy interview

    I don’t know if that’s the case I thought the interview took place already.


    It’s more of a concern That we are picking the coach and not having a GM direct the efforts gonna be interesting power struggle I guess or they will go with a young and up and comer that doesn’t care. 

    @sdbacker80 said:

    I don’t know if that’s the case I thought the interview took place already.


    It’s more of a concern That we are picking the coach and not having a GM direct the efforts gonna be interesting power struggle I guess or they will go with a young and up and comer that doesn’t care. 

    per haslem pick the head coach first then the coach will have input on who the gm will be and both will report to haslem,sound familiar 

  • @sdbacker80 said:

    I don’t know if that’s the case I thought the interview took place already.


    It’s more of a concern That we are picking the coach and not having a GM direct the efforts gonna be interesting power struggle I guess or they will go with a young and up and comer that doesn’t care. 

    per haslem pick the head coach first then the coach will have input on who the gm will be and both will report to haslem,sound familiar 

    @atom said:

    per haslem pick the head coach first then the coach will have input on who the gm will be and both will report to haslem,sound familiar 

    yes it does and Until Haslem becomes just a blank check we are doomed. 

  • Correct me if am wrong here ?.. Browns 1st interview is with McCarthy like Tomorrow* 'Thursday' .. than i see reports only interviewing Robert Saleh in san fran this* weekend? (and yes Jimmy your flying to me)  Meanwhile Skins have a coach & signed a decent D cord & somehow we have 8 to 10 more interviews to have? This year is off to a banging start..Tia, Can ya get a crew together to run our defense?

    @gumby73 said:

    Correct me if am wrong here ?.. Browns 1st interview is with McCarthy like Tomorrow* 'Thursday' .. than i see reports only interviewing Robert Saleh in san fran this* weekend? (and yes Jimmy your flying to me)  Meanwhile Skins have a coach & signed a decent D cord & somehow we have 8 to 10 more interviews to have? This year is off to a banging start..Tia, Can ya get a crew together to run our defense?

    Well, the Redskins had weeks to interview head coaches and Rivera has by far the best resume...  There's a couple guys we want to talk to- but can't because they have playoff games this week... What's worse is not doing due diligence. And I'm on record hiring the coach first and then the GM is a BAD idea, as well as both reporting directly to Jimmy. 

  • @atom said:

    doesnt it seem odd to anyone that haslem would do his presser in the middle of McCarthy interview

    I don’t know if that’s the case I thought the interview took place already.


    It’s more of a concern That we are picking the coach and not having a GM direct the efforts gonna be interesting power struggle I guess or they will go with a young and up and comer that doesn’t care. 

    @sdbacker80 said:

    I don’t know if that’s the case I thought the interview took place already.


    It’s more of a concern That we are picking the coach and not having a GM direct the efforts gonna be interesting power struggle I guess or they will go with a young and up and comer that doesn’t care. 

    The Structure issue 

  • @gumby73 said:

    Correct me if am wrong here ?.. Browns 1st interview is with McCarthy like Tomorrow* 'Thursday' .. than i see reports only interviewing Robert Saleh in san fran this* weekend? (and yes Jimmy your flying to me)  Meanwhile Skins have a coach & signed a decent D cord & somehow we have 8 to 10 more interviews to have? This year is off to a banging start..Tia, Can ya get a crew together to run our defense?

    Well, the Redskins had weeks to interview head coaches and Rivera has by far the best resume...  There's a couple guys we want to talk to- but can't because they have playoff games this week... What's worse is not doing due diligence. And I'm on record hiring the coach first and then the GM is a BAD idea, as well as both reporting directly to Jimmy. 

    @hoorta said:

     What's worse is not doing due diligence. And I'm on record hiring the coach first and then the GM is a BAD idea, as well as both reporting directly to Jimmy. 

    San Fran east..Shanny was hired first than Lynch..can't say some don't fail either.. after farmer/pett.. hue/sashi.. jimmy elects to make.. The Yellow prick road Exit "Me"

  • doesnt it seem odd to anyone that haslem would do his presser in the middle of McCarthy interview

    @atom said:

    doesnt it seem odd to anyone that haslem would do his presser in the middle of McCarthy interview

    that was from the radio show Browns Daily  

    the interview for Roman is set for tonight

  • It is highly possible from what I have heard that the Brown WILL be going with the  " HC in charge" model.  That in essence, the HC will be the boss of the GM.....which I guess can and has worked.     BB and NE operate that way.  a

    I think it works that way in KC with  Reid at the forefront.      It would not surprise me if it is that way in New Orleans.

    Someone mentioned  SFO.

    Anywhere else?

  • It is highly possible from what I have heard that the Brown WILL be going with the  " HC in charge" model.  That in essence, the HC will be the boss of the GM.....which I guess can and has worked.     BB and NE operate that way.  a

    I think it works that way in KC with  Reid at the forefront.      It would not surprise me if it is that way in New Orleans.

    Someone mentioned  SFO.

    Anywhere else?

    @the-gipper said:

    It is highly possible from what I have heard that the Brown WILL be going with the  " HC in charge" model.  That in essence, the HC will be the boss of the GM.....which I guess can and has worked.     BB and NE operate that way.  a

    I think it works that way in KC with  Reid at the forefront.      It would not surprise me if it is that way in New Orleans.

    Someone mentioned  SFO.

    Anywhere else?

    What did you hear? (or did you listen) & who/what is SFO?... in presser, Jimmy maintains the HC will name the gameday 46..while the GM will control the 53..McDaniels is to interview next Friday..Do you think he will show with that cat out of the bag?? nobody in this room, can't avoid talking to much to media including this fine coaching hiring staff 

  • Ok, we have gotten past the interview with an experienced & successful HC (McCarthy). Now it's on to the IMPORTANT interviews....the Coordinators who have NOT been successful HCs, are young & will learn on the job with this very young team...seems to be the formula for all the FAILED HCs the Haslams have hired to date, so why not follow that trend?

    Canton Mike

    Mike

  • Ok, we have gotten past the interview with an experienced & successful HC (McCarthy). Now it's on to the IMPORTANT interviews....the Coordinators who have NOT been successful HCs, are young & will learn on the job with this very young team...seems to be the formula for all the FAILED HCs the Haslams have hired to date, so why not follow that trend?

    Canton Mike

    Mike

    @canton-mike said:

    Ok, we have gotten past the interview with an experienced & successful HC (McCarthy). Now it's on to the IMPORTANT interviews....the Coordinators who have NOT been successful HCs, are young & will learn on the job with this very young team...seems to be the formula for all the FAILED HCs the Haslams have hired to date, so why not follow that trend?

    Canton Mike

    Mike

    and as i said for the final time haslem left in the fucking interview to do his presser 

    nothing says fuck you like that

  • @the-gipper said:

    It is highly possible from what I have heard that the Brown WILL be going with the  " HC in charge" model.  That in essence, the HC will be the boss of the GM.....which I guess can and has worked.     BB and NE operate that way.  a

    I think it works that way in KC with  Reid at the forefront.      It would not surprise me if it is that way in New Orleans.

    Someone mentioned  SFO.

    Anywhere else?

    What did you hear? (or did you listen) & who/what is SFO?... in presser, Jimmy maintains the HC will name the gameday 46..while the GM will control the 53..McDaniels is to interview next Friday..Do you think he will show with that cat out of the bag?? nobody in this room, can't avoid talking to much to media including this fine coaching hiring staff 

    @gumby73 said:

    What did you hear? (or did you listen) & who/what is SFO?... in presser, Jimmy maintains the HC will name the gameday 46..while the GM will control the 53..McDaniels is to interview next Friday..Do you think he will show with that cat out of the bag?? nobody in this room, can't avoid talking to much to media including this fine coaching hiring staff 

    Maybe I just assumed that because it looks like the HC will be hired first, and then the GM......that the HC would be in charge.    I think/thought that the HC would be able to hire "his guy"  at GM....making the HC the superior of the GM.    But as some have pointed out the Haslam's are apparently going back to the tried and failed model of  HC/GM equal authority of reporting to the owner. 

  • @gumby73 said:

    What did you hear? (or did you listen) & who/what is SFO?... in presser, Jimmy maintains the HC will name the gameday 46..while the GM will control the 53..McDaniels is to interview next Friday..Do you think he will show with that cat out of the bag?? nobody in this room, can't avoid talking to much to media including this fine coaching hiring staff 

    Maybe I just assumed that because it looks like the HC will be hired first, and then the GM......that the HC would be in charge.    I think/thought that the HC would be able to hire "his guy"  at GM....making the HC the superior of the GM.    But as some have pointed out the Haslam's are apparently going back to the tried and failed model of  HC/GM equal authority of reporting to the owner. 

    @the-gipper said:

    Maybe I just assumed that because it looks like the HC will be hired first, and then the GM......that the HC would be in charge.    I think/thought that the HC would be able to hire "his guy"  at GM....making the HC the superior of the GM.    But as some have pointed out the Haslam's are apparently going back to the tried and failed model of  HC/GM equal authority of reporting to the owner. 

    But Haslam explained that there won't be any friction with both the HC and GM reporting to him (unlike before) BECAUSE THE NEW HC AND GM WILL BE BEST BUDS AND THEY'LL HAVE SLEEP OVERS AND MAKE SMORES!

    stepbrothers.png

  • ugh....hate the idea of MM.

    He is way too conservative and doesn't understand risk/reward, point expectation charts, etc

    He SINGLEHANDEDLY lost the nfc championship game in Seattle some years ago with numerous terrible decisions.  He kicked two field goals at the 1 yard line in the 1st quarter.  That's terrible and not defensible.  Then, as if that weren't bad enough, with 4-5 minutes in the game GB had the ball up 11(?) and he ran the ball into the line 3 straight times.  Didn't even try to get a first down.....with prime Aaron Rodgers.  GB punted and the next time they touched the ball they were behind.

    I do not want the coach responsible for that coaching malpractice to coach the Cleveland Browns.