Skip to content

Meyer as HC and GM

The Browns Board
109 24 4.0k
  • @tour2ma said:

    But this time giving the new HC a role in choosing his GM has the possibility of mitigating any problems.

    Can't think of many situations where a person gets to choose his or her boss... 

    Didn't work with Mangini and Kokinis either, if I recall. 

    @dutch-oven said:

    Can't think of many situations where a person gets to choose his or her boss...

    There's a difference between having input and "getting to choose".

    Besides.... if the HC is not to report to the GM, then the above is not the case... is it?

  • @dutch-oven said:

    Can't think of many situations where a person gets to choose his or her boss...

    There's a difference between having input and "getting to choose".

    Besides.... if the HC is not to report to the GM, then the above is not the case... is it?

    @tour2ma said:

    There's a difference between having input and "getting to choose".

    Besides.... if the HC is not to report to the GM, then the above is not the case... is it?

    This whole situation is goofy, so who would the HC report to? What does the GM do? Does everyone only report to the owner?

    Not a very efficient chain of command.......but then again this is Believeland.  😉

  • @tour2ma said:

    There's a difference between having input and "getting to choose".

    Besides.... if the HC is not to report to the GM, then the above is not the case... is it?

    This whole situation is goofy, so who would the HC report to? What does the GM do? Does everyone only report to the owner?

    Not a very efficient chain of command.......but then again this is Believeland.  😉

    @mjp28 said:

    This whole situation is goofy, so who would the HC report to? What does the GM do? Does everyone only report to the owner?

    Not a very efficient chain of command.......but then again this is Believeland.  😉

    It has worked... Seattle has this set-up, for example. 

  • @mjp28 said:

    This whole situation is goofy, so who would the HC report to? What does the GM do? Does everyone only report to the owner?

    Not a very efficient chain of command.......but then again this is Believeland.  😉

    It has worked... Seattle has this set-up, for example. 

    @dutch-oven said:

    It has worked... Seattle has this set-up, for example. 

    It might in the right situation but is the Haslam show the right situation?  (no)

  • I saw (briefly) JH on the tube tonight talking about the common traits in winning teams that are perennial playoff teams and having the same goals or visions.... something like that.....and what he was trying to do in putting this staff together.

    We'll see how good he is putting a sports management team together.

  • @dutch-oven said:

    It has worked... Seattle has this set-up, for example. 

    It might in the right situation but is the Haslam show the right situation?  (no)

    @mjp28 said:

    It might in the right situation but is the Haslam show the right situation?  (no)

    Nothing they've done so far indicates they will get it right.

  • @mjp28 said:

    This whole situation is goofy, so who would the HC report to? What does the GM do? Does everyone only report to the owner?

    Not a very efficient chain of command.......but then again this is Believeland.  😉

    It has worked... Seattle has this set-up, for example. 

    @dutch-oven said:

    It has worked... Seattle has this set-up, for example. 

    Bingo... but it only can if two adults who respect each other fill the roles. This is especially so in our case since Jimmah has already shown once that he can't be trusted to mediate disputes.

  • @flyingfooldoug said:

    You told me you like art for setting up the current Afcn. That’s when I lost my respect for you. Get any mirrors as gifts?

    You don’t remember the tarmac meet? Or how artsy farts was the nfl owner that lost money? Or telling me how much adoration you have for him setting up the afcn as it is. 
    the nfl was going to take the team from your hero for the way he bled money.  You agdmire him but aren’t a fan.... lol

    You are in serious need of remedial reading. Here's proof...

    @tour2ma said:

    Not a fan of Modell by any stretch, but pissing on his "grave"? No... I draw the line at "Jump, Art! JUMP!"

    As for the Ravens... They are a natural rival given our history... and I love rivalries. What other team shares a division with three, true rivals? Where two rivals, CIN and BLT, were made off the playing field? It's been 20 years, but we are finally approaching the full realization of all those rivalries on the field.

    Who can we thank for setting up our unique division? Art...

    I love it...

    @tour2ma said:

    You are in serious need of remedial reading. Here's proof...

    My mistake your not a fan. You only love what he did.   Sheeesh

  • @atom said:

    haslem just said he is looking for a coach with nfl experience 

    what ever jimma

    Actually what Jimmah just said is... "Right now, we are just focusing on people with NFL experience.” Smacks of Jimmah feeling like he has Urban in his backpocket.

    So the question becomes... how long is right now?

    @canton-dawg said:

    Anyone see a problem with a GM AND a HC reporting to the owner?

    It didn’t work for Pettine & Farmer...I highly doubt it’s going to work this time around.

    I don't remember it being a huge issue with Pet and Farmer. Now Hue and Sashi... huge issue.

    But this time giving the new HC a role in choosing his GM has the possibility of mitigating any problems.

    @tour2ma said:

    I don't remember it being a huge issue with Pet and Farmer. Now Hue and Sashi... huge issue.

    I recall Farmer bypassing Pettine and sending text messages to Shanahan. 

  • @mjp28 said:

    This whole situation is goofy, so who would the HC report to? What does the GM do? Does everyone only report to the owner?

    Not a very efficient chain of command.......but then again this is Believeland.  😉

    It has worked... Seattle has this set-up, for example. 

    @dutch-oven said:

    It has worked... Seattle has this set-up, for example. 

    So,   Seattle,   New England,  Kansas City    Others....where HC is the boss of GM.   Those 3 franchises have been successful with it.

    A better question is:    Does any other franchise have this so called  "equilibrium" with its HC and GM.....as seemingly the Browns may want to do?

    And, if so, how successful has that been? 

    (I believe that may have been the case in the old  Tom Landry/Gil Brandt days...but not sure since)

  • @mjp28 said:

    The Cleveland Browns like any of the other 32 teams is no small operation maybe run differently than some others but a big "corporation" in itself.  Just scroll down and see what is involved in making the BROWNS tick.  https://www.vegasinsider.com/live-odds/line-originator/nevada

    This is just a small sample:

    Screenshot_2020-01-02_125259.jpg

    Screenshot_2020-01-02_125725.jpg

    Screenshot_2020-01-02_130200.jpg

    The first two names on that list are also the two biggest reasons to run from this team. 

    I'd certainly love to see him coaching for any team I root for, but I just don't think the odds are in the Browns' favor

    @sd_tom said:

    The first two names on that list are also the two biggest reasons to run from this team. 

    I'd certainly love to see him coaching for any team I root for, but I just don't think the odds are in the Browns' favor

    True in a lot of ways if you have an owner/CEO/GM/"HC"/dictator running everything good luck trying to put any organization of any size or complexity together and have it run successfully over time it seldom if ever works.

    It's just one of the problems with the new era of multi-multimillionaire or now multibillionaire owners running sports teams and wanting instant results.

    And the coaching carrousels will continue......

  • @sd_tom said:

    The first two names on that list are also the two biggest reasons to run from this team. 

    I'd certainly love to see him coaching for any team I root for, but I just don't think the odds are in the Browns' favor

    True in a lot of ways if you have an owner/CEO/GM/"HC"/dictator running everything good luck trying to put any organization of any size or complexity together and have it run successfully over time it seldom if ever works.

    It's just one of the problems with the new era of multi-multimillionaire or now multibillionaire owners running sports teams and wanting instant results.

    And the coaching carrousels will continue......

    @mjp28 said:

    True in a lot of ways if you have an owner/CEO/GM/"HC"/dictator running everything good luck trying to put any organization of any size or complexity together and have it run successfully over time it seldom if ever works.

    It's just one of the problems with the new era of multi-multimillionaire or now multibillionaire owners running sports teams and wanting instant results.

    And the coaching carrousels will continue......

    So, are you saying he.....Meyer....would want no part of the Cowboys because of control freak Jerrah being there? 

  • @mjp28 said:

    True in a lot of ways if you have an owner/CEO/GM/"HC"/dictator running everything good luck trying to put any organization of any size or complexity together and have it run successfully over time it seldom if ever works.

    It's just one of the problems with the new era of multi-multimillionaire or now multibillionaire owners running sports teams and wanting instant results.

    And the coaching carrousels will continue......

    So, are you saying he.....Meyer....would want no part of the Cowboys because of control freak Jerrah being there? 

    @the-gipper said:

    So, are you saying he.....Meyer....would want no part of the Cowboys because of control freak Jerrah being there? 

    In reference to the Browns organization and post.

  • @the-gipper said:

    So, are you saying he.....Meyer....would want no part of the Cowboys because of control freak Jerrah being there? 

    In reference to the Browns organization and post.

    @mjp28 said:

    In reference to the Browns organization and post.

    That was not my question.  My question is do you think he is still a viable candidate for the Dallas job.  I mean, anything that applies to Haslam re being a dictator applies in spades to the Gay Caballeros with Jones. 

    Oh I am a gay caballero
    Going to Rio Janiero
    With nice oily hair,
    And full of hot air,
    I'm an expert at shooting the bull-eo
    I'll find me a fair senorita
    Not thin and yet not too much meat-a.
    I'll woo her a while
    In my Argentine style
    And sweep her right off of her feet-a
    I'll tell her I'm of the nobilio
    And live in a great big castillio.
    I must have a miss
    Who will long for a kiss
    And not say "Oh don't be so silly-io.
    It was at a gay cabaretta
    While wining and dining I met her.
    We had one or two
    As other folks do.
    The night was wet but we got wetter.
    She was a dancer and singer
    At me she kept pointing her finger
    And saying to me
    "Si, Senor, Si Si"
    But I couldn't see a durn thing-er
  • @tour2ma said:

    You are in serious need of remedial reading. Here's proof...

    My mistake your not a fan. You only love what he did.   Sheeesh

    @flyingfooldoug said:

    My mistake your not a fan. You only love what he did.   Sheeesh

    Well at least you've learned something today...

  • @tour2ma said:

    I don't remember it being a huge issue with Pet and Farmer. Now Hue and Sashi... huge issue.

    I recall Farmer bypassing Pettine and sending text messages to Shanahan. 

    @canton-dawg said:

    I recall Farmer bypassing Pettine and sending text messages to Shanahan. 

    lol... true that, but wrong direction unless they were secretly reporting to Shanny the younger...

  • @dutch-oven said:

    It has worked... Seattle has this set-up, for example. 

    So,   Seattle,   New England,  Kansas City    Others....where HC is the boss of GM.   Those 3 franchises have been successful with it.

    A better question is:    Does any other franchise have this so called  "equilibrium" with its HC and GM.....as seemingly the Browns may want to do?

    And, if so, how successful has that been? 

    (I believe that may have been the case in the old  Tom Landry/Gil Brandt days...but not sure since)

    @the-gipper said:

    So,   Seattle,   New England,  Kansas City    Others....where HC is the boss of GM.   Those 3 franchises have been successful with it.

    A better question is:    Does any other franchise have this so called  "equilibrium" with its HC and GM.....as seemingly the Browns may want to do?

    And, if so, how successful has that been? 

    (I believe that may have been the case in the old  Tom Landry/Gil Brandt days...but not sure since)

    Seems like it would work if things are in constant harmony.

    trouble or $&@ hitting the fan.  I see a lot of finger pointing and attempting to CYA 

  • @the-gipper said:

    So,   Seattle,   New England,  Kansas City    Others....where HC is the boss of GM.   Those 3 franchises have been successful with it.

    A better question is:    Does any other franchise have this so called  "equilibrium" with its HC and GM.....as seemingly the Browns may want to do?

    And, if so, how successful has that been? 

    (I believe that may have been the case in the old  Tom Landry/Gil Brandt days...but not sure since)

    Seems like it would work if things are in constant harmony.

    trouble or $&@ hitting the fan.  I see a lot of finger pointing and attempting to CYA 

    49ers are another...

    @sdbacker80 said:

    I see a lot of finger pointing and attempting to CYA 

    When the wrong people are in the positions, absolutely... and worse, e.g., back stabbing, etc.

  • 49ers are another...

    @sdbacker80 said:

    I see a lot of finger pointing and attempting to CYA 

    When the wrong people are in the positions, absolutely... and worse, e.g., back stabbing, etc.

    @tour2ma said:

    49ers are another...

    When the wrong people are in the positions, absolutely... and worse, e.g., back stabbing, etc.

    Present day, This is much tougher spot for a HC than a GM.  I don’t think the structure is appealing to a GM.  Most I believe want to select the HC or at least have the input 

    the GM will not be selecting a QB for the foreseeable future.  The GM has cap room and draft capital (18 picks this and and next year including 4 in top 3 rounds this year).  They’ve got a pass this year getting started later than usual.  
     

    the HC has to try to cobble all these personalities into a team and deal with an undisciplined group thanks to Freddie.  And like it or not Fix our QB. 

  • HCs plate will certainly be full... makes you wonder why he'd want most or all the GM duties as well.

    Key is a collaborative approach.