Skip to content

TRIBE to keep Lindor? Looks like it. * And a look ahead at 2020 *.

The Tribe Board
5 2 706
  • mjp28M mjp28 wrote on last edited by mjp28
    #1

    TRIBE to keep Lindor? Looks like it.

    Indians expect to hold Lindor.    CBS 24/7

    Earlier today, our own R.J. Anderson took a look at how the Dodgers have the payroll flexibility, roster depth and prospect depth to swing a deal for a superstar still this offseason. He's absolutely right and a name that has been linked to the Dodgers all offseason has been Francisco Lindor.

    Lindor is two years from free agency, which means he's starting to get really expensive in arbitration, and the Indians are notoriously cheap at this point. 

    Indians president Chris Antonetti said Wedesday, via Mandy Bell of MLB.com, that the "expectation" is that Lindor will be the team's Opening Day shortstop. 

    Mandy Bell@MandyBell02
    Chris Antonetti: "I have never had a different expectation other than Francisco [Lindor] will be our shortstop Opening Day. That was my expectation as the season ended. That’s still my expectation as I’m sitting here today."

    Chris Antonetti: "I have never had a different expectation other than Francisco [Lindor] will be our shortstop Opening Day. That was my expectation as the season ended. That’s still my expectation as I’m sitting here today."

     
    46 people are talking about this
    Mandy Bell@MandyBell02
    Chris Antonetti: "I have never had a different expectation other than Francisco [Lindor] will be our shortstop Opening Day. That was my expectation as the season ended. That’s still my expectation as I’m sitting here today."
     
     
    Now, it should be noted that wasn't a promise and things can change. If they get blown away by an offer from someone, like the Dodgers, and take it, he still didn't lie. To this point, if the Indians are taking offers on Lindor, this quote simply means their asking price hasn't been met.
  • The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #2

    I would hope so.   I think they would have had a very tough year attendance wise if they moved him.   They may still have a bad year. 

  • I would hope so.   I think they would have had a very tough year attendance wise if they moved him.   They may still have a bad year. 

    mjp28M mjp28 wrote on last edited by
    #3

    @the-gipper said:

    ......They may still have a bad year. 

    I'm not too sure on that, Bauer has potential but had a bad year, Kluber as great as he was may be close to peaking...... we'll see on both.

    To compete in the ALC they have a fine young and "affordable"  pitching staff.......ok cheap by today's standards. And pitching is always key in competing in beisbol.

    Their infield with GG Lindor, Ramirez, Santana, GG Perez is good with a decent replacement for "dirt bag".

    Outfield again some good potential, some good gloves and you wonder if Zimmer will comeback to his all star potential. They also have a great farm system, always one of the best in MLB.

    The only big worry again BIG BATS, you need pitching and HRs to compete in today's game (or so they say).  Again we'll see, it's a too loooong season!

  • @the-gipper said:

    ......They may still have a bad year. 

    I'm not too sure on that, Bauer has potential but had a bad year, Kluber as great as he was may be close to peaking...... we'll see on both.

    To compete in the ALC they have a fine young and "affordable"  pitching staff.......ok cheap by today's standards. And pitching is always key in competing in beisbol.

    Their infield with GG Lindor, Ramirez, Santana, GG Perez is good with a decent replacement for "dirt bag".

    Outfield again some good potential, some good gloves and you wonder if Zimmer will comeback to his all star potential. They also have a great farm system, always one of the best in MLB.

    The only big worry again BIG BATS, you need pitching and HRs to compete in today's game (or so they say).  Again we'll see, it's a too loooong season!

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #4

    @mjp28 said:

    I'm not too sure on that, Bauer has potential but had a bad year, Kluber as great as he was may be close to peaking...... we'll see on both.

    To compete in the ALC they have a fine young and "affordable"  pitching staff.......ok cheap by today's standards. And pitching is always key in competing in beisbol.

    Their infield with GG Lindor, Ramirez, Santana, GG Perez is good with a decent replacement for "dirt bag".

    Outfield again some good potential, some good gloves and you wonder if Zimmer will comeback to his all star potential. They also have a great farm system, always one of the best in MLB.

    The only big worry again BIG BATS, you need pitching and HRs to compete in today's game (or so they say).  Again we'll see, it's a too loooong season!

    Bad year, as in Bad attendance.   Not record wise.  The team could/should compete for the AL central crown.....but it is still a fact that the fan base does not trust this ownership, and they show it by not coming to games. 

  • mjp28M mjp28 wrote on last edited by
    #5

    Continued over somewhat from the Browns main board....... 

    CLEVELAND, Ohio — I hate writing columns about Cleveland sports stars and money.   https://www.cleveland.com/tribe/2020/02/francisco-lindor-is-headed-for-a-huge-payday-but-probably-not-with-the-cleveland-indians.html

    That issue will hang over the Indians and Francisco Lindor probably until he is traded or leaves as a free agent after the 2021 season. That’s because baseball’s lack of a salary cap is a problem for many Major League teams, not just the Tribe.

    ........And I can see why he says this in the BROWNS, INDIANS, CAVS market situations....

    RISING PRICES

    At first, I thought it would require contract of at least 10 years and well over $300 million to sign Lindor. Now it would be understandable if Lindor’s agents are thinking about $400 million, given the rise in salaries.

    “A lot of money sounds pretty right now," Lindor told the media this weekend. “Everything sounds pretty. A lot of years sounds pretty, too. At the end of the day I’ve got to do what’s best for me, my family ... and also what’s best for Indians organization.”

    Lindor said all the right things about loving Cleveland and wanting to stay with the Indians.

    And he insisted it isn’t all about money.

    He may even mean that. But there was a reason his agents turned down a multi-year deal worth at least $100 million a few years ago. The chance to be a free agent is too enticing......... continued in the link........