Browns hire Kevin Stefanski as HC
-
The issue isn't just the misses, Tour. It's whom was selected, some of the head scratching that went with it, and the talent that was passed over in favor of said picks. Especially given that 2016 draft. 2017 wasn't without it's flops either. It is incredibly fortunate that Myles was rated as the highest player by more well known 3rd party grades on top of the fact he is a great football player to boot. If he wasn't so highly regarded with the metrics, how might have that gone? We could very well be talking about our issues with Trubisky at the moment and, I admit hesitantly, Dutch is kind of right about that. Talent eval between the more "conventional" minded front offices of days past and the more "analytical" one have their shared abysmal failures.
My concern restated - the pendulum swung one way under Sashi and then the opposite side with the Dorse... only to produce some similar results. My genuine hope is that the scouting department and our regional scouts have their voices heard by this new front office should they reach out to 3rd party grades in working to form their draft boards while developing their consensus players. I just want the new faces to avoid the entrenchment and narrow sight that our previous two administrations have shown at times. (Again, mostly regarding talent acquisition)
I get all this, tia... There are many players I've scouted that we passed over who I wanted and have worked out for other teams (Marcus Williams, George Kittle)... and others not so much including some we did pick (Shon Coleman).
I would point out that if metrics said Myles was not the player he was then he would not have been the player he was... if that makes any sense.... and his on field performance would have been altered as well.
Growing a scouting department was always a core objective of the Sashi FO... that was what was going to take the time. It was the alternative to trying to find the next great, super-evaluator GM... a very rare breed. In parallel the analytics would be refined, but they started off as the stronger voice... no doubting that. In time the playing field would be leveled.
This is what I see us aspiring towards once again. For how long is the big question... and that's on Stef now. At least the timetable is in better hands than it was with Hue.
I get all this, tia... There are many players I've scouted that we passed over who I wanted and have worked out for other teams (Marcus Williams, George Kittle)... and others not so much including some we did pick (Shon Coleman).
I would point out that if metrics said Myles was not the player he was then he would not have been the player he was... if that makes any sense.... and his on field performance would have been altered as well.
Growing a scouting department was always a core objective of the Sashi FO... that was what was going to take the time. It was the alternative to trying to find the next great, super-evaluator GM... a very rare breed. In parallel the analytics would be refined, but they started off as the stronger voice... no doubting that. In time the playing field would be leveled.
This is what I see us aspiring towards once again. For how long is the big question... and that's on Stef now. At least the timetable is in better hands than it was with Hue.
I know what you're trying to say, but the opposite would have to be true then as well, no? If these players were as the grades suggested then drafting would be a science and each would perform as graded transitioning to the NFL.
This circles back around to the formula itself. If the grades assigned to these players don't match the tape and production, then how did we arrive at the grades and is there potential flaws within that system of said evaluation?
Ever see No Country For Old Men? "If the rule that you follow lead you to this, of what use was the rule?"
Scientific method requires constant process evaluation. I use PFF as the best example, because I don't think they possess the constitution for that type of process evaluation. That isn't necessarily me saying that everyone should invite doubt on their work. Only me saying that the best system for anything is one looking for constant improvement and honest self reflection when looking to produce anything of substance.
-
-
I get all this, tia... There are many players I've scouted that we passed over who I wanted and have worked out for other teams (Marcus Williams, George Kittle)... and others not so much including some we did pick (Shon Coleman).
I would point out that if metrics said Myles was not the player he was then he would not have been the player he was... if that makes any sense.... and his on field performance would have been altered as well.
Growing a scouting department was always a core objective of the Sashi FO... that was what was going to take the time. It was the alternative to trying to find the next great, super-evaluator GM... a very rare breed. In parallel the analytics would be refined, but they started off as the stronger voice... no doubting that. In time the playing field would be leveled.
This is what I see us aspiring towards once again. For how long is the big question... and that's on Stef now. At least the timetable is in better hands than it was with Hue.
I know what you're trying to say, but the opposite would have to be true then as well, no? If these players were as the grades suggested then drafting would be a science and each would perform as graded transitioning to the NFL.
This circles back around to the formula itself. If the grades assigned to these players don't match the tape and production, then how did we arrive at the grades and is there potential flaws within that system of said evaluation?
Ever see No Country For Old Men? "If the rule that you follow lead you to this, of what use was the rule?"
Scientific method requires constant process evaluation. I use PFF as the best example, because I don't think they possess the constitution for that type of process evaluation. That isn't necessarily me saying that everyone should invite doubt on their work. Only me saying that the best system for anything is one looking for constant improvement and honest self reflection when looking to produce anything of substance.
I know what you're trying to say, but the opposite would have to be true then as well, no?
First... love No Country... Javier's character was one of the most chillingly understated villains ever... up there with Robert Mitchum in Night of the Hunter.
I think the current level of agreement between metric and traditional evals vary greatly from position to position. The more positions are interdependent, the less reliable the analytics are for them. DE/Edge seems to me to be one of the more closely agreeing
One side comment on PFF... while they grade all of each selected players' games, their eval reports include considerable text on strengths and weaknesses they've observed. Awful lot of traditional scouting in their player summaries.
-
Wrap up Andrew Berry and let's GO.
-
-
I know what you're trying to say, but the opposite would have to be true then as well, no?
First... love No Country... Javier's character was one of the most chillingly understated villains ever... up there with Robert Mitchum in Night of the Hunter.
I think the current level of agreement between metric and traditional evals vary greatly from position to position. The more positions are interdependent, the less reliable the analytics are for them. DE/Edge seems to me to be one of the more closely agreeing
One side comment on PFF... while they grade all of each selected players' games, their eval reports include considerable text on strengths and weaknesses they've observed. Awful lot of traditional scouting in their player summaries.
First... love No Country... Javier's character was one of the most chillingly understated villains ever... up there with Robert Mitchum in Night of the Hunter.
I think the current level of agreement between metric and traditional evals vary greatly from position to position. The more positions are interdependent, the less reliable the analytics are for them. DE/Edge seems to me to be one of the more closely agreeing
One side comment on PFF... while they grade all of each selected players' games, their eval reports include considerable text on strengths and weaknesses they've observed. Awful lot of traditional scouting in their player summaries.
Honestly, might be my favorite villain character in any movie ever. The coin toss scene in the gas station? Legendary and fucking tense.
Agreed on the interdependence of the evaluations re: reliability. As for PFF, I feel they disregard a great deal of their traditional scouting should their grades speak to the opposite of what they see in normal film study. Which makes no god damn sense to me because that would have to mean that scheme, opponent and play design are even further discounted when producing a grade. Again, I hate to use Corey Coleman as an example but one of their articles at the time even admitted to his poor footwork, incredibly high drop percentage and system friendly play. The massive red flags were not enough for their staff to question their grade and thus overall projection of their draft ranking for him.
In short - I'm skeptical.
-
Clemson will win.
What do you know? I agree, they might. I hope not. I root SEC all day, every day.
Like OSU after every other SEC team.
Go SEC
-
-
-
Clemson will win.
What do you know? I agree, they might. I hope not. I root SEC all day, every day.
Like OSU after every other SEC team.
Go SEC
-
Dustin Fox tweeted that all potential HC hires had to agree to present game plans weekly to Haslam and DePodesta.
One of two things I see this as. Either ownership and management want to eliminate any future communication issues and instability among the coaching staff by verifying that these gameplans are developed, set and agreed upon by the coaching staff... - OR- Tennessee Jerry Jones just kicked into overdrive.
Either great or a disaster.
-
Dustin Fox tweeted that all potential HC hires had to agree to present game plans weekly to Haslam and DePodesta.
One of two things I see this as. Either ownership and management want to eliminate any future communication issues and instability among the coaching staff by verifying that these gameplans are developed, set and agreed upon by the coaching staff... - OR- Tennessee Jerry Jones just kicked into overdrive.
Either great or a disaster.
One of two things I see this as. Either ownership and management want to eliminate and future communication issues and instability among the coaching staff by verifying that these gameplans are developed, set and agreed upon by the coaching staff... - OR- Tennessee Jerry Jones just kicked into overdrive.
Either great or a disaster.
I was assuming that that statement was a joke of some sort? No
-
One of two things I see this as. Either ownership and management want to eliminate and future communication issues and instability among the coaching staff by verifying that these gameplans are developed, set and agreed upon by the coaching staff... - OR- Tennessee Jerry Jones just kicked into overdrive.
Either great or a disaster.
I was assuming that that statement was a joke of some sort? No
I was assuming that that statement was a joke of some sort? No
Which part? The Jerry Jones quip? It's sarcasm coupled with insult. I've been calling Haslam the Tennessee version of Jerry since he went over everyone's head and hand picked Manziel. An owner who is so convinced of his football prowess that his meddling has held back his own team.
-
Dustin Fox tweeted that all potential HC hires had to agree to present game plans weekly to Haslam and DePodesta.
Again, this has to be a joke, right? The owner and the "Strategic Planning Director" (which I believe is his title).....plan to micromanage things to that extent?
We are truly fucked then.
You would think that just hiring a new HC would be a moment of hope for this team for the future. That hope seems to have just been dashed on the Lake Erie Pier.
-
I was assuming that that statement was a joke of some sort? No
Which part? The Jerry Jones quip? It's sarcasm coupled with insult. I've been calling Haslam the Tennessee version of Jerry since he went over everyone's head and hand picked Manziel. An owner who is so convinced of his football prowess that his meddling has held back his own team.
Which part? The Jerry Jones quip? It's sarcasm coupled with insult. I've been calling Haslam the Tennessee version of Jerry since he went over everyone's head and hand picked Manziel. An owner who is so convinced of his football prowess that his meddling has held back his own team.
The part where the game plan must be submitted to the owner/Depo.
WTF do those guy know about putting together a game plan?
-
At least, I think, we have this going for us with this hire: Very low expectations. Clearly no one here is jumping up and down with enthusiasm and anticipation of a great season ahead. Anything better than a 6-10 season will seem like a major positive accomplishment.
Fair to say?
Between Freddie’s “coaching” and the defensive scheme. I’d hope we can be at least a .500 team taking out the two factors above
Between Freddie’s “coaching” and the defensive scheme. I’d hope we can be at least a .500 team taking out the two factors above
I'll make no predictions until I see FAs signed and the draft completed.
-
From what I've read from Dustin Fox and Daryl Ruiter, Stefanski is the head coach today because DePodesta knew that if McDaniels was hired, his days would be numbered.
Typical Browns.
-
From what I've read from Dustin Fox and Daryl Ruiter, Stefanski is the head coach today because DePodesta knew that if McDaniels was hired, his days would be numbered.
Typical Browns.
From what I've read from Dustin Fox and Daryl Ruiter, Stefanski is the head coach today because DePodesta knew that if McDaniels was hired, his days would be numbered.
Typical Browns.
So Stefanski was hired because the Browns wanted to keep DePodesta?
-
Dustin Fox tweeted that all potential HC hires had to agree to present game plans weekly to Haslam and DePodesta.
Never a M*A*S*H clip available when you need one...
Colonel Blake : [to Spearchucker Jones at the football practice] I had another idea. I think we should have some plays. You know, usually in football you have some organized plays...
Spearchucker : If you don't mind, I took the liberty.
Colonel Blake : Oh, you have...
Spearchucker : I drew up about seven or eight plays. I figure that's about all this bunch can handle.
Colonel Blake : Oh, these are good. These are very good. Uh, what are these little arrows?
-
From what I've read from Dustin Fox and Daryl Ruiter, Stefanski is the head coach today because DePodesta knew that if McDaniels was hired, his days would be numbered.
Typical Browns.
From what I've read from Dustin Fox and Daryl Ruiter, Stefanski is the head coach today because DePodesta knew that if McDaniels was hired, his days would be numbered.
Typical Browns.
They must have gotten that directly from Depo...
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login

