Skip to content

Browns hire Kevin Stefanski as HC

The Browns Board
268 51 7.8k 1
  • Before the wild card games, people were talking about how the Vikings might release Zimmer and promote stefanski if they got blown out because they love stefanski and didn't wanna see him go.

    Now people hate the hire and Vikings fans couldn't care less to see him go.

    Interesting how the rumors and perception changed.

  • @jcam222 said:

    I thought this too but word is that Haslam was not open to the changes McDaniels wanted to make. The biggest of those being him not meddling and also diminishing the role of Depo. McDaniels wasn’t hired because Jimmy wouldn’t get his fingers out of the pie. GET THIS - Dustin Fox is reporting that Stefanski has to sit down on Monday’s and review the gameplay with Haslam and Depo. If this is true we are doomed until that asshat is gone. 

    At least you've got some "word is" in your post... and it's saying that that McD overstepped his bounds. At least that's consistent with what we know about the guy. The big question is what did McD propose in place of the reduction in Depo's role?

    As for telling an owner not to meddle... how arrogant can an employee be? Kraft meddled... got right in the middle of the Jimmy G/ TB12 thing... and Jimmy G went to SF. Bill did well to get a 2nd considering the circumstances. Like it or not, it's Jimmah's pie...

    As for the weekly game plan reviews... I made fun of them earlier, but they could be much about nothing. For starters I have to believe they're very high-level, broad-brush talks, if for no other reason but that Depo and Jimmah don't know enough to get into the weeds. The plan should already have considered input from the analytics boys, so it's not like Depo's going to bring anything new to the meeting.

    Feels to me like more of a... wait for it... process check to see how well their young HC is delegating responsibility for developing the plan for the week and how he assembles the pieces... the tactics, if you like... into an overall, winning strategy.

    Bottom line... I don't think the weekly meet has to be a bad thing... and so long as it's not enough to drive off every candidate that's good enough for now.

    Next check for me will be reports of when it occurs on Monday and how long the meetings last. If they are not end of the day and/or last more than 30 minutes... 45 tops... then I'll get worried.

    Until then I'll just watch the hair-on-fire, chinese-fire-drill that is the Browns Board...

    @tour2ma said:

    At least you've got some "word is" in your post... and it's saying that that McD overstepped his bounds. At least that's consistent with what we know about the guy. The big question is what did McD propose in place of the reduction in Depo's role?

    As for telling an owner not to meddle... how arrogant can an employee be? Kraft meddled... got right in the middle of the Jimmy G/ TB12 thing... and Jimmy G went to SF. Bill did well to get a 2nd considering the circumstances. Like it or not, it's Jimmah's pie...

    As for the weekly game plan reviews... I made fun of them earlier, but they could be much about nothing. For starters I have to believe they're very high-level, broad-brush talks, if for no other reason but that Depo and Jimmah don't know enough to get into the weeds. The plan should already have considered input from the analytics boys, so it's not like Depo's going to bring anything new to the meeting.

    Feels to me like more of a... wait for it... process check to see how well their young HC is delegating responsibility for developing the plan for the week and how he assembles the pieces... the tactics, if you like... into an overall, winning strategy.

    Bottom line... I don't think the weekly meet has to be a bad thing... and so long as it's not enough to drive off every candidate that's good enough for now.

    Next check for me will be reports of when it occurs on Monday and how long the meetings last. If they are not end of the day and/or last more than 30 minutes... 45 tops... then I'll get worried.

    Until then I'll just watch the hair-on-fire, chinese-fire-drill that is the Browns Board...

    While they may be much to do about nothing, it’s still pretty hard at face value to not dislike and scoff the general idea. It’s a really bad look for an owner who literally has been the worst in the NFL in figuring this out, so far anyway. At face value Haslam wanting this just sounds dumb and another feather to the cap of someone who has no clue what to do.

    im fine with the hire though. McDaniels is obviously a needy bitch and that attitude loses locker rooms fast. But to be Honest if this doesn’t work the NFL should seriously consider stepping in and hiring a league mandated GM. Last straw for me with the Haslams

  •  I'm ambivalent about stefanski. I did not want McDaniels and so I'm happy with that. Something about McDaniels didnt feel like the right move to me. You can learn from a mastand never be that master. Tom Brady, over McDaniels' run, was and is an all time great. And there's also more going on in new England. A rolling Stone gathers no moss. The players feel like they're playing for a champion in new England. Whether they're right or wrong they perceive Cleveland as a doormat and that, to me, is the biggest obstacle that must be overcome. Image matters. A lot. In this generation, in America, image is more important than it's ever been. The browns must change their image from that of a doormat and loser.

  • All the football talking heads on television I saw yesterday seemed to think Stefanski was a good hire so we'll see. I'm hopeful.

  • A lot of people poo poohed the thought of urban meyer as a NFL head coach but I thought this is a guy who knows the right calls to make and when to make them and knows how to hire subordinates to run different aspects of the team and knows how to identify talent. I mean what more are we looking for? 

    But.  We've got stefanski. And it sounds like Paul depodesta is going to be the puppet master. So...no comment. I hope it works out. At least he's not a fat disgusting hillbilly moron slob so that's one image problem fixed. 

  • @dutch-oven said:

    Dustin Fox tweeted that all potential HC hires had to agree to present game plans weekly to Haslam and DePodesta. 

    borat.jpg

    One of two things I see this as.  Either ownership and management want to eliminate any future communication issues and instability among the coaching staff by verifying that these gameplans are developed, set and agreed upon by the coaching staff...     - OR-    Tennessee Jerry Jones just kicked into overdrive.  

    Either great or a disaster.  

    @tiamat63 said:

    One of two things I see this as.  Either ownership and management want to eliminate any future communication issues and instability among the coaching staff by verifying that these gameplans are developed, set and agreed upon by the coaching staff...     - OR-    Tennessee Jerry Jones just kicked into overdrive.  

    Either great or a disaster.  

    Help me out with this one. In Spanish we have a saying "Piensa mal y acertarás" which literally is 'Think wrong and be right', meaning you should expect the worst from a multiple choice scenario. 

    I need help finding an English equivalent... Because it applies here. 

  • @tiamat63 said:

    One of two things I see this as.  Either ownership and management want to eliminate any future communication issues and instability among the coaching staff by verifying that these gameplans are developed, set and agreed upon by the coaching staff...     - OR-    Tennessee Jerry Jones just kicked into overdrive.  

    Either great or a disaster.  

    Help me out with this one. In Spanish we have a saying "Piensa mal y acertarás" which literally is 'Think wrong and be right', meaning you should expect the worst from a multiple choice scenario. 

    I need help finding an English equivalent... Because it applies here. 

    @nero said:

    Help me out with this one. In Spanish we have a saying "Piensa mal y acertarás" which literally is 'Think wrong and be right', meaning you should expect the worst from a multiple choice scenario. 

    I need help finding an English equivalent... Because it applies here. 

    "Hope for the best, prepare for the worst".

  • @nero said:

    Help me out with this one. In Spanish we have a saying "Piensa mal y acertarás" which literally is 'Think wrong and be right', meaning you should expect the worst from a multiple choice scenario. 

    I need help finding an English equivalent... Because it applies here. 

    "Hope for the best, prepare for the worst".

    @tiamat63 said:

    "Hope for the best, prepare for the worst".

    Mmmh not quite the same, but it must be the closest. 

  • @tiamat63 said:

    One of two things I see this as.  Either ownership and management want to eliminate any future communication issues and instability among the coaching staff by verifying that these gameplans are developed, set and agreed upon by the coaching staff...     - OR-    Tennessee Jerry Jones just kicked into overdrive.  

    Either great or a disaster.  

    Help me out with this one. In Spanish we have a saying "Piensa mal y acertarás" which literally is 'Think wrong and be right', meaning you should expect the worst from a multiple choice scenario. 

    I need help finding an English equivalent... Because it applies here. 

    @nero said:

    Help me out with this one. In Spanish we have a saying "Piensa mal y acertarás" which literally is 'Think wrong and be right', meaning you should expect the worst from a multiple choice scenario. 

    I need help finding an English equivalent... Because it applies here. 

    We have a song sorta like that.

  • @tiamat63 said:

    One of two things I see this as.  Either ownership and management want to eliminate any future communication issues and instability among the coaching staff by verifying that these gameplans are developed, set and agreed upon by the coaching staff...     - OR-    Tennessee Jerry Jones just kicked into overdrive.  

    Either great or a disaster.  

    Help me out with this one. In Spanish we have a saying "Piensa mal y acertarás" which literally is 'Think wrong and be right', meaning you should expect the worst from a multiple choice scenario. 

    I need help finding an English equivalent... Because it applies here. 

    @nero said:

    Help me out with this one. In Spanish we have a saying "Piensa mal y acertarás" which literally is 'Think wrong and be right', meaning you should expect the worst from a multiple choice scenario. 

    I need help finding an English equivalent... Because it applies here. 

    Here it's called the Costanza Opposite Strategy - or COS for short. 

  • Before the wild card games, people were talking about how the Vikings might release Zimmer and promote stefanski if they got blown out because they love stefanski and didn't wanna see him go.

    Now people hate the hire and Vikings fans couldn't care less to see him go.

    Interesting how the rumors and perception changed.

    @bbedward said:

    Before the wild card games, people were talking about how the Vikings might release Zimmer and promote stefanski if they got blown out because they love stefanski and didn't wanna see him go.

    Now people hate the hire and Vikings fans couldn't care less to see him go.

    Interesting how the rumors and perception changed.

    I never heard those rumors.

  • Well, at least we didn't hire a fat ass.?

  • @tiamat63 said:

    One of two things I see this as.  Either ownership and management want to eliminate any future communication issues and instability among the coaching staff by verifying that these gameplans are developed, set and agreed upon by the coaching staff...     - OR-    Tennessee Jerry Jones just kicked into overdrive.  

    Either great or a disaster.  

    Help me out with this one. In Spanish we have a saying "Piensa mal y acertarás" which literally is 'Think wrong and be right', meaning you should expect the worst from a multiple choice scenario. 

    I need help finding an English equivalent... Because it applies here. 

    @nero said:

    Help me out with this one. In Spanish we have a saying "Piensa mal y acertarás" which literally is 'Think wrong and be right', meaning you should expect the worst from a multiple choice scenario. 

    I need help finding an English equivalent... Because it applies here. 

    Always set your expectations low, that way you will never be disappointed. 

    That is not exactly translate right either, but it does apply here. 

  • "Piensa mal y acertarás" 

    =

     at least we didn't hire a fat ass.?

  • @nero said:

    Help me out with this one. In Spanish we have a saying "Piensa mal y acertarás" which literally is 'Think wrong and be right', meaning you should expect the worst from a multiple choice scenario. 

    I need help finding an English equivalent... Because it applies here. 

    "Hope for the best, prepare for the worst".

    @tiamat63 said:

    "Hope for the best, prepare for the worst".

    And when in doubt prepare for a party.......

    Iy2b.gif

  • All the football talking heads on television I saw yesterday seemed to think Stefanski was a good hire so we'll see. I'm hopeful.

    @oldbrownsfan said:

    All the football talking heads on television I saw yesterday seemed to think Stefanski was a good hire so we'll see. I'm hopeful.

    It was interesting.  It seemed many were positive some were “well he just got rolled by the Niners”  

    Sean Payton’s reaction was most interesting he kind of rolled his eyes at our organization - here we go again.  He didn’t really come down on the hire though 

  • A lot of people poo poohed the thought of urban meyer as a NFL head coach but I thought this is a guy who knows the right calls to make and when to make them and knows how to hire subordinates to run different aspects of the team and knows how to identify talent. I mean what more are we looking for? 

    But.  We've got stefanski. And it sounds like Paul depodesta is going to be the puppet master. So...no comment. I hope it works out. At least he's not a fat disgusting hillbilly moron slob so that's one image problem fixed. 

    @the-cysko-kid said:

    A lot of people poo poohed the thought of urban meyer as a NFL head coach but I thought this is a guy who knows the right calls to make and when to make them and knows how to hire subordinates to run different aspects of the team and knows how to identify talent. I mean what more are we looking for? 

    But.  We've got stefanski. And it sounds like Paul depodesta is going to be the puppet master. So...no comment. I hope it works out. At least he's not a fat disgusting hillbilly moron slob so that's one image problem fixed. 

    He’s not “yes man” though.  And truthfully he had a Freddie like team his last two/three years Uber talented by highly disorganized.  

    Then you have to question his offense.  Is he willing to change? And then his control freak nature couple with his health

  • Dustin Fox tweeted that all potential HC hires had to agree to present game plans weekly to Haslam and DePodesta. 

    borat.jpg

    @dutch-oven said:

    Dustin Fox tweeted that all potential HC hires had to agree to present game plans weekly to Haslam and DePodesta. 

    borat.jpg

    image.png.724442f1778b3a46cfb96b567e86d904.png

  • @poeticg said:

    We got my guy!

    Kevin Stefanski, it's about to be on! 

    Oh shit you and cal too?   We're fucked.?

    @texasag1969 said:

    Oh shit you and cal too?   We're fucked.?

    Stephanski wasn't "my guy". Try to get at least ONE fact straight this month, okay?

    I wanted Kris Richard, who wasn't interviewed. "Reading comprehension" IS a thing, you know.

  • well, I saw an interview with the Viking's center, and he said it's tough to see him go, but the Browns were getting

    an outstanding teacher and coach, etc. So there's that.

    Ryan: Stefanski is a fantastic hire for the Browns

    Matt Hasselbeck, Rex Ryan, Tedy Bruschi and Sean Payton react to the news that the Browns are planning to hire Vikings offensive coordinator Kevin Stefanski as their new head coach.