Browns hire Kevin Stefanski as HC
-
I have to say, for all the fans who have paid so much for season tickets,... that this is very much a make or break hire, I think.....
Fail this time, and I can see where the old Saints "shopping bag over the head" would be in order. One more failure, I can see where the Haslams should just sell the team.
Putting an outstanding staff together, new hc works out... now is the time, Haslams, to put up or shut up. Failure is not an option.
Most fans should EXPECT a playoff run. I've made a few excuses "first year hc, etc. takes time". well, it seems time has run out for 3 yr plans that never come to success. The time is now. But no pressure on Stephanowski. lol
-
Hearing that there were stipulations placed on candidates such as giving Haslam the weekly game plan and using analytics in decision making just makes me laugh
Hearing that there were stipulations placed on candidates such as giving Haslam the weekly game plan and using analytics in decision making just makes me laugh
What a fucking joke.
-
I DO NOT like this hire!
Keep in mind, I applauded the drafting of Manziel, the hiring of Hue, & the promotion of Freddie.
After analyzing the situation, I don't know Jack Shit!
GO BROWNS!
Canton
Mike
I DO NOT like this hire!
Keep in mind, I applauded the drafting of Manziel, the hiring of Hue, & the promotion of Freddie.
I've gotta reply to this...even before I read pages 7 & 8.
Mike, I have you pegged as sort of a Homer. You always try to find something to root for in just about everything that the Browns do. So man, I've gotta give ya some credit for taking this stance. - And it's not because I like people being negative about the Browns.....it's because I don't think it was easy for you to say.
Me personally, I don't hate the hire. Is it like hiring a Harvard Freddie Kitchens? Yup. But I'm going to give the guy the clean slate that he deserves. (as I know you will) He's supposedly a smart guy. He's not a loud mouthed yeller. I like smart, under control guys. We'll see how it works out.
What I don't like is the process. Jimmy and his family running things. Husband, wife and son-in-law. They've proven that they're football dopes. I hope Stefanski can succeed in spite of The Family.
-
Oh shit you and cal too? We're fucked.?
Stephanski wasn't "my guy". Try to get at least ONE fact straight this month, okay?
I wanted Kris Richard, who wasn't interviewed. "Reading comprehension" IS a thing, you know.
-
I thought this too but word is that Haslam was not open to the changes McDaniels wanted to make. The biggest of those being him not meddling and also diminishing the role of Depo. McDaniels wasn’t hired because Jimmy wouldn’t get his fingers out of the pie. GET THIS - Dustin Fox is reporting that Stefanski has to sit down on Monday’s and review the gameplay with Haslam and Depo. If this is true we are doomed until that asshat is gone.
At least you've got some "word is" in your post... and it's saying that that McD overstepped his bounds. At least that's consistent with what we know about the guy. The big question is what did McD propose in place of the reduction in Depo's role?
As for telling an owner not to meddle... how arrogant can an employee be? Kraft meddled... got right in the middle of the Jimmy G/ TB12 thing... and Jimmy G went to SF. Bill did well to get a 2nd considering the circumstances. Like it or not, it's Jimmah's pie...
As for the weekly game plan reviews... I made fun of them earlier, but they could be much about nothing. For starters I have to believe they're very high-level, broad-brush talks, if for no other reason but that Depo and Jimmah don't know enough to get into the weeds. The plan should already have considered input from the analytics boys, so it's not like Depo's going to bring anything new to the meeting.
Feels to me like more of a... wait for it... process check to see how well their young HC is delegating responsibility for developing the plan for the week and how he assembles the pieces... the tactics, if you like... into an overall, winning strategy.
Bottom line... I don't think the weekly meet has to be a bad thing... and so long as it's not enough to drive off every candidate that's good enough for now.
Next check for me will be reports of when it occurs on Monday and how long the meetings last. If they are not end of the day and/or last more than 30 minutes... 45 tops... then I'll get worried.
Until then I'll just watch the hair-on-fire, chinese-fire-drill that is the Browns Board...
At least you've got some "word is" in your post... and it's saying that that McD overstepped his bounds. At least that's consistent with what we know about the guy. The big question is what did McD propose in place of the reduction in Depo's role?
As for telling an owner not to meddle... how arrogant can an employee be? Kraft meddled... got right in the middle of the Jimmy G/ TB12 thing... and Jimmy G went to SF. Bill did well to get a 2nd considering the circumstances. Like it or not, it's Jimmah's pie...
As for the weekly game plan reviews... I made fun of them earlier, but they could be much about nothing. For starters I have to believe they're very high-level, broad-brush talks, if for no other reason but that Depo and Jimmah don't know enough to get into the weeds. The plan should already have considered input from the analytics boys, so it's not like Depo's going to bring anything new to the meeting.
Feels to me like more of a... wait for it... process check to see how well their young HC is delegating responsibility for developing the plan for the week and how he assembles the pieces... the tactics, if you like... into an overall, winning strategy.
Bottom line... I don't think the weekly meet has to be a bad thing... and so long as it's not enough to drive off every candidate that's good enough for now.
Next check for me will be reports of when it occurs on Monday and how long the meetings last. If they are not end of the day and/or last more than 30 minutes... 45 tops... then I'll get worried.
Until then I'll just watch the hair-on-fire, chinese-fire-drill that is the Browns Board...
For most organizations I’d agree that McD perhaps overstepped his bounds. Keep in mind however he was not an employee but one interviewing to be one. Anyone well versed in interviewing is not just also interviewing the prospective employer. With Haslams track record of meddling and forcing bad decisions it entirely reasonable to want that changed prior to accepting the job. I will give you that perhaps the weekly meeting is a bit overblown, that said of the 32 teams how many owners do you think are reviewing game plans on Mondays??
-
I DO NOT like this hire!
Keep in mind, I applauded the drafting of Manziel, the hiring of Hue, & the promotion of Freddie.
After analyzing the situation, I don't know Jack Shit!
GO BROWNS!
Canton
Mike
I DO NOT like this hire!
Keep in mind, I applauded the drafting of Manziel, the hiring of Hue, & the promotion of Freddie.
After analyzing the situation, I don't know Jack Shit!
GO BROWNS!
Canton
Mike
One of the best posts ever! I resemble those remarks
-
I'm just curious, but what other team(s) interviewed Stefanski last year and this one for a head coaching job? Besides the Browns, of course...
-
-
Coulda fooled me. Here is a "fact" from page 3 of this very thread. If that is not an endorsement then I don't know what is. I read yours first and then PoG's and exactly what did you expect me to say other than "We're fucked"?
cal said on Sept 14 right here in this thread on page 3:
"well, I bought into the hype with the last two failure hc's...so third time is the charm. Personally, I put a lot of stock in who said also, it's a "fantastic" hire in the video. that means serious stuff, imho.
This time, I'm seeing that they learned their lesson. Stephanski is no "nice guy fuddy duddy nincampoop gonna fail" guy. you betcha. and that is with a UDFA at ROG and a terrific RT that got hurt in the playoff game."
Next time try to remember your "facts" for at least two days after you post them. "Writing comprehension" IS a thing you know.?
You are just a stupid-ass. Read your own post. Sept 14? It's JANUARY you ignorant butthole. I'm supporting their choice as hopefully a GREAT choice. But he wasn't MY choice.
So, who would you pick as the next HC ?
calfoxwc replied to tinythinker's topic in THE BROWNS BOARD
...I'd pickKris Richard as my next head coach. I don't get why he didn't get aninterview with the Browns. Did with the Giants... at least, hope he ends up with the Browns as an assistant coach.You are just a stupid-ass. Read your own post. Sept 14? It's JANUARY you ignorant butthole. I'm supporting their choice as hopefully a GREAT choice. But he wasn't MY choice.
So, who would you pick as the next HC ?
calfoxwc replied to tinythinker's topic in THE BROWNS BOARD
...I'd pickKris Richard as my next head coach. I don't get why he didn't get aninterview with the Browns. Did with the Giants... at least, hope he ends up with the Browns as an assistant coach.So I misstyped it. No big deal. And he was my choice only if Kubiac came with the deal. That still does not negate what you said in this thread prior to PoG, hence my little barb.
-
-
Hearing that there were stipulations placed on candidates such as giving Haslam the weekly game plan and using analytics in decision making just makes me laugh
Hearing that there were stipulations placed on candidates such as giving Haslam the weekly game plan and using analytics in decision making just makes me laugh
People who don't understand what is actually going on make me laugh...
-
And it's now official...
Browns officially hire Kevin Stefanski as head coach
Stefanski becomes team’s 18th full-time head coach, sixth since the Haslams bought the franchise in 2012.
By Thomas Moore@Tom_RedRight88 Jan 13, 2020, 8:10pm EST -
At least you've got some "word is" in your post... and it's saying that that McD overstepped his bounds. At least that's consistent with what we know about the guy. The big question is what did McD propose in place of the reduction in Depo's role?
As for telling an owner not to meddle... how arrogant can an employee be? Kraft meddled... got right in the middle of the Jimmy G/ TB12 thing... and Jimmy G went to SF. Bill did well to get a 2nd considering the circumstances. Like it or not, it's Jimmah's pie...
As for the weekly game plan reviews... I made fun of them earlier, but they could be much about nothing. For starters I have to believe they're very high-level, broad-brush talks, if for no other reason but that Depo and Jimmah don't know enough to get into the weeds. The plan should already have considered input from the analytics boys, so it's not like Depo's going to bring anything new to the meeting.
Feels to me like more of a... wait for it... process check to see how well their young HC is delegating responsibility for developing the plan for the week and how he assembles the pieces... the tactics, if you like... into an overall, winning strategy.
Bottom line... I don't think the weekly meet has to be a bad thing... and so long as it's not enough to drive off every candidate that's good enough for now.
Next check for me will be reports of when it occurs on Monday and how long the meetings last. If they are not end of the day and/or last more than 30 minutes... 45 tops... then I'll get worried.
Until then I'll just watch the hair-on-fire, chinese-fire-drill that is the Browns Board...
For most organizations I’d agree that McD perhaps overstepped his bounds. Keep in mind however he was not an employee but one interviewing to be one. Anyone well versed in interviewing is not just also interviewing the prospective employer. With Haslams track record of meddling and forcing bad decisions it entirely reasonable to want that changed prior to accepting the job. I will give you that perhaps the weekly meeting is a bit overblown, that said of the 32 teams how many owners do you think are reviewing game plans on Mondays??
For most organizations I’d agree that McD perhaps overstepped his bounds. Keep in mind however he was not an employee but one interviewing to be one. Anyone well versed in interviewing is not just also interviewing the prospective employer. With Haslams track record of meddling and forcing bad decisions it entirely reasonable to want that changed prior to accepting the job.
I will give you that perhaps the weekly meeting is a bit overblown, that said of the 32 teams how many owners do you think are reviewing game plans on Mondays??
Not many, but then we now have word that the Monday meeting will be a post mortem of the game just played.... and I am sure those are fairly common.
If there's a game plan meeting, it would appear it will be on Friday which basically eliminates any "meddling" concerns since the plan is locked in by then. A si article I posted earlier around here somewhere explained how this is all a good thing ensuring that the Analytics boys are ready to support the HC and staff come Sunday.
As for Haslam's meddling... how many instances have there really been? He...
- went with a glorified scout who talked out of turn in the War room and gave us Manziel;
- decided on Hue Jackson after getting schmoozed by the snake, and
- bailed on a 5-year commitment to a new way of doing things when Dorsey, the other snake, got in his ear.
I grant you these were doozies, but the count I keep coming up with is these three.
-
-
-
The point I came away with from that article is the fact that it was NOT just the Browns interviewing McDaniels to be their HC, but it was also McDaniels interviewing the Browns to be the organization that he would want to work for in the ensuing years.
And while it seems that it was the Browns that turned down McD for the job....it is more accurate perhaps to say that McD turned down the Browns.
It seemed clear that JH and Depo told a bunch of "Thou shalts" to McD. and McD said, basically "I shalt not". Stinky and Saleh seemed to be more pliable to the ways that Depo wanted things to go, ergo, while to some extent it seemed like a foregone conclusion, it was still a process after which Depo concluded: this is still the coach that I think fits in most with what I want; and while I came to that conclusion last year, I confirm it this time around.
And, so be it. I don't care who is here, I just don't want this to be a fucking disaster like some much of what has come before with this FO crew, including the departed. Bring a winner, and shut the fuck up otherwise. We don't want to hear any of your BS, any of your double talk, any of your excuses...Win games now.
Just because you have a 5 year contract with the owner means nothing to us. You have about a 5 game contract with the Fans.
-
For most organizations I’d agree that McD perhaps overstepped his bounds. Keep in mind however he was not an employee but one interviewing to be one. Anyone well versed in interviewing is not just also interviewing the prospective employer. With Haslams track record of meddling and forcing bad decisions it entirely reasonable to want that changed prior to accepting the job.
I will give you that perhaps the weekly meeting is a bit overblown, that said of the 32 teams how many owners do you think are reviewing game plans on Mondays??
Not many, but then we now have word that the Monday meeting will be a post mortem of the game just played.... and I am sure those are fairly common.
If there's a game plan meeting, it would appear it will be on Friday which basically eliminates any "meddling" concerns since the plan is locked in by then. A si article I posted earlier around here somewhere explained how this is all a good thing ensuring that the Analytics boys are ready to support the HC and staff come Sunday.
As for Haslam's meddling... how many instances have there really been? He...
- went with a glorified scout who talked out of turn in the War room and gave us Manziel;
- decided on Hue Jackson after getting schmoozed by the snake, and
- bailed on a 5-year commitment to a new way of doing things when Dorsey, the other snake, got in his ear.
I grant you these were doozies, but the count I keep coming up with is these three.
Not many, but then we now have word that the Monday meeting will be a post mortem of the game just played.... and I am sure those are fairly common.
True...As I related earlier, Modell would have them do it at his house, the night of the game, over pasta.
If there's a game plan meeting, it would appear it will be on Friday which basically eliminates any "meddling" concerns since the plan is locked in by then. A si article I posted earlier around here somewhere explained how this is all a good thing ensuring that the Analytics boys are ready to support the HC and staff come Sunday.
What, if after seeing the game plan, they are NOT ready to support the HC and staff with that plan? Unless this is just a pro forma skull session where the coach says: THIS is MY game plane.....You...You nerds you. Come up with some of the microdetails I will need to support this plan.
As for Haslam's meddling... how many instances have there really been? He...
- went with a glorified scout who talked out of turn in the War room and gave us Manziel;
- You mean the homeless guy?
- decided on Hue Jackson after getting schmoozed by the snake, and
- Was Jimmy wearing his fig leaf when he got schmoozed by the snake?
- bailed on a 5-year commitment to a new way of doing things when Dorsey, the other snake, got in his ear.
- How did Dorsey get in his ear? JH invited him into his head. Don't blame Dorsey.
I grant you these were doozies, but the count I keep coming up with is these three.
Well...your way got us 1-31...but NOW that we are back to that, its all going to be good. Right.
-
-
Lots of negativity about a guy who hasn't even coached a game yet. I'm a fan of his as the head coach until he gives me a reason to not support him as the head coach.
Freddie said all the right things last January as well and that didn't work out so well but I'll give this dude a chance to be the guy to turn everything around.
Carry on with the sky is falling....
-
Lots of negativity about a guy who hasn't even coached a game yet. I'm a fan of his as the head coach until he gives me a reason to not support him as the head coach.
Freddie said all the right things last January as well and that didn't work out so well but I'll give this dude a chance to be the guy to turn everything around.
Carry on with the sky is falling....
Lots of negativity about a guy who hasn't even coached a game yet. I'm a fan of his as the head coach until he gives me a reason to not support him as the head coach.
Freddie said all the right things last January as well and that didn't work out so well but I'll give this dude a chance to be the guy to turn everything around.
Carry on with the sky is falling....
I think no matter who was chosen there was going to be a fair share of negativity about it. McDaniels had his naysayers on here....as did Daboll, Schwartz and others. Though...not much toward Saleh, Roman, Bienemy (probably because no on figured any of them would get the job anyway).
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login

