Skip to content

Rock n Roll Hall of Fame Inductees

Westside Steve's Movie Reviews
43 8 926
  • Here is the list of acts that are to be inducted into the Rock n Roll Hall of Fame:

    They are Depeche Mode,
    The Doobie Brothers,
    Whitney Houston,
    Nine Inch Nails,
    The Notorious B.I.G.
    T-Rex.
    Jon Landau and Irving Azoff are the recipients of the Ahmet Ertegun Award.
     
    I am highly ambivalent about this group.  How is Depeche Mode more deserving than a number of other 80s acts (that I think were better)  like Culture Club,  Tears for Fears, others.    T-Rex was highly mediocre in my opinion. 
    Them in lieu of like Jethro Tull, Procul Harum?  And others...laughable.
    Whitney I get.  In the genre of Pop goddesses, she may be more deserving that Mariah Carey, Celine Dion
    I will defer on the rap artists.   Notorious BIG is a BIG name anyway...
    Nine Inch Nails?  Also a big name in that genre, whatever that genre is (punk, rock, alt, grunge,...like Green Day, I am not sure).
    Going back to pull in the Doobie Brothers?  I guess....they had a lot of hit songs and were a good band. Not at the top of their era, but good. 
  • should have been

    Soundgarden
    Judas Priest

    Motorhead

    MC5

    Thin Lizzy

  • should have been

    Soundgarden
    Judas Priest

    Motorhead

    MC5

    Thin Lizzy

    @atom said:

    should have been

    Soundgarden
    Judas Priest

    Motorhead

    MC5

    Thin Lizzy

    All too similar.  Nine Inch Nails represents the "heavy" set. 

  • @atom said:

    should have been

    Soundgarden
    Judas Priest

    Motorhead

    MC5

    Thin Lizzy

    All too similar.  Nine Inch Nails represents the "heavy" set. 

    @the-gipper said:

    All too similar.  Nine Inch Nails represents the "heavy" set. 

    you are on either drain bamaged or more than likely never listened to their music except for the crap the radio feeds down your throat 

  • are The Beatles in the hall of fame ?   what about Iron Maiden ? The Who ?

  • @the-gipper said:

    All too similar.  Nine Inch Nails represents the "heavy" set. 

    you are on either drain bamaged or more than likely never listened to their music except for the crap the radio feeds down your throat 

    @atom said:

    you are on either drain bamaged or more than likely never listened to their music except for the crap the radio feeds down your throat 

    Right....  I am not familiar with the music of all those acts.  I do see what I have been told is basically metal music:  MC5, Judas Priest.   I understand that Soundgarden was part of the Seattle grunge theme, which, to me, just seems a variation of metal music.   Thin Lizzy, I think, can perhaps be considered somewhat pop...but with metal leanigs. 

    But, by all means, educate us on the differences between all those acts. 

  • are The Beatles in the hall of fame ?   what about Iron Maiden ? The Who ?

    @atom said:

    are The Beatles in the hall of fame ?   what about Iron Maiden ? The Who ?

    I believe Iron Maiden is NOT in the RRHOF....and that does not bother me one bit.  

    Judas Priest?  They were a finalist but apparently did not make it. 

  • all right ill start with 

    The MC5  a counterculture movement that basically invented Punk back in the mid 60's their Rock N Roll was a kick in the face to the fascist's  that ran the country at the time That alone should make them worthy

  • oh ya they fucking rocked and is one band Black Sabbath said they borrowed from 

    are Black Sabbath in the rrhof ?

  • Thin Lizzy are more of a folk blues band not fucking metal and the true best band from Ireland they had their hits here in the us but were also so important  because of their bandmates who were a mix of Protestants and Catholics and in that circa was unheard of

    look man there is more than just music going on here

  • I have other reasons but Soundgarden was the best band ever to sound like Led Zeppelin without sounding like Led Zeppelin

  • The R & R HOF is a fucking joke.

  • AxeA Axe

    The R & R HOF is a fucking joke.

    @axe said:

    The R & R HOF is a fucking joke.

    Why?  Because a few metalheads think that their favorite monotonous band didn't get in?

  • @axe said:

    The R & R HOF is a fucking joke.

    Why?  Because a few metalheads think that their favorite monotonous band didn't get in?

    @the-gipper said:

    Why?  Because a few metalheads think that their favorite monotonous band didn't get in?

    Actually anybody's favorite bands regardless of genre.  Including your own. And not necessarily because I love any of the bands that Atom possted you don't know the difference. I don't fault you for not knowing the difference only for blaring away about it with no knowledge.

    WSS

  • That never stops him, no matter the subject 😉

    If they want to call it the "Music Hall of Fame" then I'd have far less problem with that. But calling it the Rock n Roll HOF is ridiculous.

  • @the-gipper said:

    Why?  Because a few metalheads think that their favorite monotonous band didn't get in?

    Actually anybody's favorite bands regardless of genre.  Including your own. And not necessarily because I love any of the bands that Atom possted you don't know the difference. I don't fault you for not knowing the difference only for blaring away about it with no knowledge.

    WSS

    @westside-steve said:

    Actually anybody's favorite bands regardless of genre.  Including your own. And not necessarily because I love any of the bands that Atom possted you don't know the difference. I don't fault you for not knowing the difference only for blaring away about it with no knowledge.

    WSS

    Fair enough......they are monotonous bands of different genres.  I will take your word of that. 

  • AxeA Axe

    That never stops him, no matter the subject 😉

    If they want to call it the "Music Hall of Fame" then I'd have far less problem with that. But calling it the Rock n Roll HOF is ridiculous.

    @axe said:

    That never stops him, no matter the subject 😉

    If they want to call it the "Music Hall of Fame" then I'd have far less problem with that. But calling it the Rock n Roll HOF is ridiculous.

    If they want to call it the Rock n Roll HOF, then some could say they should have stopped inducting anyone after  Buddy Holly,  Bill Haley and Chuck Berry.   

    But what I take of this is that Rock n Roll will not be pigeon holed, and neither my standards nor yours will rein it in. 

    And you critcize me for not knowing the "genre" of some of the acts mentioned above?   Their genre is Rock n Roll. No other distinction need be made. 

  • @axe said:

    That never stops him, no matter the subject 😉

    If they want to call it the "Music Hall of Fame" then I'd have far less problem with that. But calling it the Rock n Roll HOF is ridiculous.

    If they want to call it the Rock n Roll HOF, then some could say they should have stopped inducting anyone after  Buddy Holly,  Bill Haley and Chuck Berry.   

    But what I take of this is that Rock n Roll will not be pigeon holed, and neither my standards nor yours will rein it in. 

    And you critcize me for not knowing the "genre" of some of the acts mentioned above?   Their genre is Rock n Roll. No other distinction need be made. 

    @the-gipper said:

    But what I take of this is that Rock n Roll will not be pigeon holed, and neither my standards nor yours will rein it in. 

     I agree with that. I'm not going to sit here and say anyone who doesn't adhere strictly to a I,IV,V arrangement format or play Strats exclusively should be excluded. There are a dizzying number of sub genres for every genre. My point is (and I'm sure you've been to the R&R HOF) that there is an obvious disconnect at a certain point in the visit from Rock n Roll. THAT is why I say call it the "Music Hall of Fame" if you will but don't call it the R&R HOF.  It's no longer that.

     Allow me to add Frank Marino and Mahogany Rush along with Ted Nugent to the list WTF aren't they in?

  • AxeA Axe

    @the-gipper said:

    But what I take of this is that Rock n Roll will not be pigeon holed, and neither my standards nor yours will rein it in. 

     I agree with that. I'm not going to sit here and say anyone who doesn't adhere strictly to a I,IV,V arrangement format or play Strats exclusively should be excluded. There are a dizzying number of sub genres for every genre. My point is (and I'm sure you've been to the R&R HOF) that there is an obvious disconnect at a certain point in the visit from Rock n Roll. THAT is why I say call it the "Music Hall of Fame" if you will but don't call it the R&R HOF.  It's no longer that.

     Allow me to add Frank Marino and Mahogany Rush along with Ted Nugent to the list WTF aren't they in?

    @axe said:

     I agree with that. I'm not going to sit here and say anyone who doesn't adhere strictly to a I,IV,V arrangement format or play Strats exclusively should be excluded. There are a dizzying number of sub genres for every genre. My point is (and I'm sure you've been to the R&R HOF) that there is an obvious disconnect at a certain point in the visit from Rock n Roll. THAT is why I say call it the "Music Hall of Fame" if you will but don't call it the R&R HOF.  It's no longer that.

     Allow me to add Frank Marino and Mahogany Rush along with Ted Nugent to the list WTF aren't they in?

    Wow I had forgotten about Frank saw em once open for Heart The Joe Perry Project was also there damn that was a long time ago

    and i agree the rrhof is fucked up

  • AxeA Axe

    @the-gipper said:

    But what I take of this is that Rock n Roll will not be pigeon holed, and neither my standards nor yours will rein it in. 

     I agree with that. I'm not going to sit here and say anyone who doesn't adhere strictly to a I,IV,V arrangement format or play Strats exclusively should be excluded. There are a dizzying number of sub genres for every genre. My point is (and I'm sure you've been to the R&R HOF) that there is an obvious disconnect at a certain point in the visit from Rock n Roll. THAT is why I say call it the "Music Hall of Fame" if you will but don't call it the R&R HOF.  It's no longer that.

     Allow me to add Frank Marino and Mahogany Rush along with Ted Nugent to the list WTF aren't they in?

    @axe said:

     I agree with that. I'm not going to sit here and say anyone who doesn't adhere strictly to a I,IV,V arrangement format or play Strats exclusively should be excluded. There are a dizzying number of sub genres for every genre. My point is (and I'm sure you've been to the R&R HOF) that there is an obvious disconnect at a certain point in the visit from Rock n Roll. THAT is why I say call it the "Music Hall of Fame" if you will but don't call it the R&R HOF.  It's no longer that.

     Allow me to add Frank Marino and Mahogany Rush along with Ted Nugent to the list WTF aren't they in?

    It never was that.  Really. From the very first class.  From Ray Charles to James Brown to Buddy Holly etc. you had what I think were primarily blues guys, soul music, rockabilly,  "pop" idols etc. 

    And to answer your second question:  I guess they are not in because they have not been felt to have been either good enough, or popular enough, or influential enough.

    It like saying:  why aren't the Monkees in? Herman's Hermits?  These  acts were far, far more popular in their time than the guys you mention.  I don't think I know who Frank Marino is....related to Dan?   So, you see.