The 2020 Free Agency Thread...
-
Derrick Henry?
-
My first stated target posted days ago in another thread is Colts' UFA, Anthony Castonzo (LT).
Probably going to take top dollar ($15-16mm/yr) to pull him from Indy (who has even more cap room than we do... a lot more...) and at that price he's not a great value, but he's easily the best OT UFA for 2020.
Have a lot of draft candidates to cull thru between now and the draft, but so far... and it's very early... I'm not aware of a competitive fix for LT in our OL. And it allows us to resign Robinson for RT duty where he's still a marginal, but serviceable, choice.
Someone commented after my earlier mention that Anthony may be considering retirement and that appears to be the case. Coming off a 4-year, $11mm/yr contract more money may not be the best motivator, but Castonzo will only be 32 in August and had a healthy 2019 making all 16 starts. So his deliberation may just be one of those "How much longer do I want to do this?" exercises many vets who have a choice go through.
My first stated target posted days ago in another thread is Colts' UFA, Anthony Castonzo (LT).
Probably going to take top dollar ($15-16mm/yr) to pull him from Indy (who has even more cap room than we do... a lot more...) and at that price he's not a great value, but he's easily the best OT UFA for 2020.
Have a lot of draft candidates to cull thru between now and the draft, but so far... and it's very early... I'm not aware of a competitive fix for LT in our OL. And it allows us to resign Robinson for RT duty where he's still a marginal, but serviceable, choice.
Someone commented after my earlier mention that Anthony may be considering retirement and that appears to be the case. Coming off a 4-year, $11mm/yr contract more money may not be the best motivator, but Castonzo will only be 32 in August and had a healthy 2019 making all 16 starts. So his deliberation may just be one of those "How much longer do I want to do this?" exercises many vets who have a choice go through.
Rumor was back to Colts or he’d retire.
excellent short term overpay though.
-
Derrick Henry?
Derrick Henry?
If he bring Vrabel with him.
-
My first stated target posted days ago in another thread is Colts' UFA, Anthony Castonzo (LT).
Probably going to take top dollar ($15-16mm/yr) to pull him from Indy (who has even more cap room than we do... a lot more...) and at that price he's not a great value, but he's easily the best OT UFA for 2020.
Have a lot of draft candidates to cull thru between now and the draft, but so far... and it's very early... I'm not aware of a competitive fix for LT in our OL. And it allows us to resign Robinson for RT duty where he's still a marginal, but serviceable, choice.
Someone commented after my earlier mention that Anthony may be considering retirement and that appears to be the case. Coming off a 4-year, $11mm/yr contract more money may not be the best motivator, but Castonzo will only be 32 in August and had a healthy 2019 making all 16 starts. So his deliberation may just be one of those "How much longer do I want to do this?" exercises many vets who have a choice go through.
It probably is tempting for one year or so, but it's a very deep OT class. The benefits of drafting your own guy and letting him roll for a career are huge, I think.
It probably is tempting for one year or so, but it's a very deep OT class. The benefits of drafting your own guy and letting him roll for a career are huge, I think.
Problem is that "Depth" does not necessarily mean plug and play quality is there. There are always a ton of OTs in a draft class... just as there are WRs and DBs... problem is a fair number of even the better OT prospects end up being OGs or Cs in the Pros.
The question is... how talented is this OT class? Preliminary looks at the consensus top two prospects by tia and I have underwhelmed us. That is not boding well for the quality of the class.
Growing your own is preferable, but do we have that luxury given the quality of our 2019 starters? We may not have a choice, but do we have the luxury?
-
A little more clickbait
https://factoryofsadness.co/2020/01/16/cleveland-browns-5-free-agents-to-bolster-the-squad/amp/4/
WSS
-
A little more clickbait
https://factoryofsadness.co/2020/01/16/cleveland-browns-5-free-agents-to-bolster-the-squad/amp/4/
WSS
A little more clickbait
Got that right...
Couple good names there would fill needs, but not exactly a discriminating list.
-
It probably is tempting for one year or so, but it's a very deep OT class. The benefits of drafting your own guy and letting him roll for a career are huge, I think.
Problem is that "Depth" does not necessarily mean plug and play quality is there. There are always a ton of OTs in a draft class... just as there are WRs and DBs... problem is a fair number of even the better OT prospects end up being OGs or Cs in the Pros.
The question is... how talented is this OT class? Preliminary looks at the consensus top two prospects by tia and I have underwhelmed us. That is not boding well for the quality of the class.
Growing your own is preferable, but do we have that luxury given the quality of our 2019 starters? We may not have a choice, but do we have the luxury?
Problem is that "Depth" does not necessarily mean plug and play quality is there. There are always a ton of OTs in a draft class... just as there are WRs and DBs... problem is a fair number of even the better OT prospects end up being OGs or Cs in the Pros.
The question is... how talented is this OT class? Preliminary looks at the consensus top two prospects by tia and I have underwhelmed us. That is not boding well for the quality of the class.
Growing your own is preferable, but do we have that luxury given the quality of our 2019 starters? We may not have a choice, but do we have the luxury?
sure. The OT class isn't anywhere near the quality of the wr class. But there are offensive linemen who could step in and help the Browns further down than the third round. The tough part, is knowing who they are. There have been UDFA who have had nice careers in the NFL... plenty of draftable talent. Picking the one that helps your team is the harder part. I figure the Browns picked Corbett out of need, that is a bad idea.
I think back to players I admired with the Browns, like OG Robert Jackson. He was undrafted, but had a nice career, over ten year, all with the Browns. I believe there are gems in this draft well into the fifth/sixth rounds...then who knows, I don't.
Obviously, when I tossed out my 3 round draft, it was disregarding free agency and the combine. But when I looked at the OL class, OT tackles stood out to me.
I'm not alone, for whatever that is worth:
-
Couple more OTs hitting the market that caught my eye...
Another high-end UFA to go with Castonzo... the
PackTitan's Jack Conklin. Still young... he's going to cost even more in total.And there are a couple in the more affordable category...
- Brian Bulaga (GB)... can't see the Pack committing to both him and Conklin; played hurt much of 2019.
- Cornelius Lucas (CHI)... pressed into service in 2019 and had a good year.
- Hala Vaitai (PHI)... also pressed into service and had a very good 2019 season. <==== a real target.
-
Couple more OTs hitting the market that caught my eye...
Another high-end UFA to go with Castonzo... the
PackTitan's Jack Conklin. Still young... he's going to cost even more in total.And there are a couple in the more affordable category...
- Brian Bulaga (GB)... can't see the Pack committing to both him and Conklin; played hurt much of 2019.
- Cornelius Lucas (CHI)... pressed into service in 2019 and had a good year.
- Hala Vaitai (PHI)... also pressed into service and had a very good 2019 season. <==== a real target.
Couple more OTs hitting the market that caught my eye...
Another high-end UFA to go with Castonzo... the Pack's Jack Conklin. Still young... he's going to cost even more in total.
And there are a couple in the more affordable category...
- Brian Bulaga (GB)... can't see the Pack committing to both him and Conklin; played hurt much of 2019.
- Cornelius Lucas (CHI)... pressed into service in 2019 and had a good year.
- Hala Vaitai (PHI)... also pressed into service and had a very good 2019 season. <==== a real target.
?
Conklin plays for the Titans, my guy.
-
And for OG... couple of likely high-priced options...
- Graham Glasgow (DET)... young, very good, going to cost maybe $10mm/yr.
- Joe Thuney (NE).... also young might be cheaper due to questions around OL who leave NE.
And more reasonably priced...
- Steve Wisniewski (KC)... injured in 2019, bit older, but not old, can still play and play well
- Earl Watford (TB)... spot starter journeyman that graded out well at PFF (#27 OG)
- Eric Flowers (WSH)... flopped at OT in NYG/JAX, but moved inside with WSH and played decent
- Denzelle Good (OAK)... part-timed his way to PFF's #26 spot
-
Couple more OTs hitting the market that caught my eye...
Another high-end UFA to go with Castonzo... the Pack's Jack Conklin. Still young... he's going to cost even more in total.
And there are a couple in the more affordable category...
- Brian Bulaga (GB)... can't see the Pack committing to both him and Conklin; played hurt much of 2019.
- Cornelius Lucas (CHI)... pressed into service in 2019 and had a good year.
- Hala Vaitai (PHI)... also pressed into service and had a very good 2019 season. <==== a real target.
?
Conklin plays for the Titans, my guy.
-
Thuney's going to be north of 10M annually
Scherff/Washington should be on the high-priced OG list
-
Thuney's going to be north of 10M annually
Scherff/Washington should be on the high-priced OG list
Scherff/Washington should be on the high-priced OG list
I am only listing folks in which I would have interest If I Ruled the World...
-
Scherff/Washington should be on the high-priced OG list
I am only listing folks in which I would have interest If I Ruled the World...
I am only listing folks in which I would have interest If I Ruled the World...
Or if I were a rich businessman with a zillion bucks and thought buying a football team would be fun.....eh?
Something to do for 17 weeks in the fall/winter? Stay in a nice warm booth with a TV and drink cocktails watching them play.
-
And for OG... couple of likely high-priced options...
- Graham Glasgow (DET)... young, very good, going to cost maybe $10mm/yr.
- Joe Thuney (NE).... also young might be cheaper due to questions around OL who leave NE.
And more reasonably priced...
- Steve Wisniewski (KC)... injured in 2019, bit older, but not old, can still play and play well
- Earl Watford (TB)... spot starter journeyman that graded out well at PFF (#27 OG)
- Eric Flowers (WSH)... flopped at OT in NYG/JAX, but moved inside with WSH and played decent
- Denzelle Good (OAK)... part-timed his way to PFF's #26 spot
-
I've always liked Hunter Henry. Usually have him on my FFL, but injuries kept me from playing him as much as I wanted to. Might come cheap with that history.
-
Heard this today: It is seemingly imperative for the Browns to get one starting OT out of FA, and one out of the Draft. Chris Hubbard is an adequate backup, but not starter.
Jack Conklin seems to be a major target for RT.
Also need help at Safety and Linebacker. Combination of FA and draft.
-
Wonder how much $$ Chris Harris is looking for.
-
Wonder how much $$ Chris Harris is looking for.
-
Wonder how much $$ Chris Harris is looking for.
That's a little lower than what I had in mind, TBH.
I had some football related thoughts racking around in my head earlier today. The future of the defense, both immediate and longterm, was the biggest of those. Specifically our pass rush vs our coverage and how Joe Woods would intend on limiting the run via a combination of personnel and/or numbers committed to the box.
In short, if our new front office is going to weigh the dollars vs field value of certain players, I can't imagine Vernon stays through the off-season. I also don't suspect we can immediately supplement the other edge rusher spot so easily with a rookie or combination of FA and in-house talent. I think priority #1 for this dline needs to be getting stronger at limiting the opposing rushing attacks which also means Vernon has to go. That may dictate taking a look at how our coverage holds up, especially on early downs where teams showed a tendency to attack our secondary at times out of more "traditional" running formations.
I'm also looking at money invested in position groups and realizing that Denzel is still on the cheap for another year or two, Greedy at minimum 2 years and Terrance Mitchell has a reasonable contract as well.
My initial thought ? I would love to drop a few dollars on a great corner like Harris who can erase slot receivers and already would have great familiarity with the defense Woods is installing.
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login