Skip to content

The 2020 Free Agency Thread...

The Browns Board
210 20 6.6k
  • Both aqib talib and desir were under 60 this past year. Josh Norman was a 45 and looked like he was mentally already coaching high school rather than playing on Sundays.

    I hope we actually sign Brandon Carr who was a 66 this past season -- serviceable, but not worth the high-priced contract he was playing under.

    @unsympathetic said:

    Both aqib talib and desir were under 60 this past year. Josh Norman was a 45 and looked like he was mentally already coaching high school rather than playing on Sundays.

    I hope we actually sign Brandon Carr who was a 66 this past season -- serviceable, but not worth the high-priced contract he was playing under.

    Are the figures PFF grades? (Asking because I let my subscription lapse.)

    @dutch-oven said:

    I swear there was a thread on here yesterday that said the Browns signed CB Richard Sherman? 

    The Browns Sign Cornerback thread now on page 2 included an article comparing our new CB's size to Sherman...

    Best I can do to help you salvage your sanity.

  • Billings is my under-appreciated signing favorite so far.  Kid has room for growth in his game and brings something to the table that makes me forget about investing mid to late round picks on interior 1gap pluggers.

    @tiamat63 said:

    Billings is my under-appreciated signing favorite so far.  Kid has room for growth in his game and brings something to the table that makes me forget about investing mid to late round picks on interior 1gap pluggers.

    But may I still interest you in a Kinlaw Day 1...

    ... or a Day 2 Davis (Khalil)...

    ... or a Day 3 Jones (Benito) or Davis (Carlos).

    All look to be more penetrators than pluggers...

    Billings... I'm still hung up on his 2nd season at NT in a 3-4 being more productive than his stint as a 4-3 DT last season. What am I missing?

  • @tiamat63 said:

    Billings is my under-appreciated signing favorite so far.  Kid has room for growth in his game and brings something to the table that makes me forget about investing mid to late round picks on interior 1gap pluggers.

    But may I still interest you in a Kinlaw Day 1...

    ... or a Day 2 Davis (Khalil)...

    ... or a Day 3 Jones (Benito) or Davis (Carlos).

    All look to be more penetrators than pluggers...

    Billings... I'm still hung up on his 2nd season at NT in a 3-4 being more productive than his stint as a 4-3 DT last season. What am I missing?

    @tour2ma said:

    But may I still interest you in a Kinlaw Day 1...

    ... or a Day 2 Davis (Khalil)...

    ... or a Day 3 Jones (Benito) or Davis (Carlos).

    All look to be more penetrators than pluggers...

    Billings... I'm still hung up on his 2nd season at NT in a 3-4 being more productive than his stint as a 4-3 DT last season. What am I missing?

    In order 

    - So far?  Not really.

    - Davis?  Meh.  Hard to get a gauge on him when the talent around him is questionable.

    - Haven't watching enough of Benito or Carlos.

    You're not missing anything. But the Bengals haven't used him in much of a 2 gap role either year so I don't worry about the 34/43 distinction.   But the decline in play from Geno Atkins was noticeable when I finished up the Bills game from this past season earlier today.  He's still effective, but not dominant, and that isn't helping the rest of their line.   But their LB play is the absolute worst and exactly what has hurt their defense so much.  I can tell you that Billings doesn't offer much in the way of pass rush.  But he made a few really nice TFL's early on vs Buffalo that the Bills (very quickly) adjusted and went away from their IZ to his side and started running more off tackle, toss, screens and sweeps to get the ball on the perimeter and away from him.   

    He isn't some championship piece, but I've been screaming for cost effective run stoppers.  Barry may have done me proud this go around.

  • @orion said:

    We need an OT (I say, LT)... In a week's time we've taken OFF of our needs list:  1 OT (I say, RT),

    lol.... I get it... stop already... 😉

    @tour2ma said:

    lol.... I get it... stop already... 😉

    🙂  IMO they picture him at RT.  However, if things don't fall to nicely early in the draft, he could be the fall back plan for LT.

    Even if we DO draft a LT at 10, if Conklin flat out out-plays him then he could be the LT.

    Signing a starting OT in FA is a big help.

  • @gumby73 said:

    Got to admit..Been watching Seattle's Clowney rag doll a good 9'ers front on the Network

    A lot of it vs the run I'm betting...

    Clowney's Pass Rush numbers were down, I've read more than one account about 2020 being his best season vs. the run to date.

    @tour2ma said:

    A lot of it vs the run I'm betting...

    Clowney's Pass Rush numbers were down, I've read more than one account about 2020 being his best season vs. the run to date.

    against the run.yep! And we could certainly use some of that, along with his QB panic attacks, that now should count as a stat ..the game i watched was in SF in week 10 last year..lots of good stuff, good game & George Kittle was out..So, JC decided to make Mike McGlinchey his bit$h-tits for the night..Clowney's stats showed that was his most productive game of year, so am looking at others.(so far, imo, Emerson Griffin attacks better with edge balance bend comparing the two). JC got credit for 1 sack, 5 tackles, with 5 QB hits...Were now in the era of 'we can't hit the QB' anyhow..I counted 3 or 4 more times Clowney forced Jimmy G 'squirts in his skirt' just from JC being 1 yard away clean. Jimmy G dumped them to the dirt  .. with no stat-line which now should become a stat line... label under ?SQBS?^^^... Clowney/ E.Griffin and 2 Bosa's should approve of this message.. 

  • 50D72EC9-A289-433D-9B0B-7A26F28EEE84.jpeg

  • @tour2ma said:

    lol.... I get it... stop already... 😉

    🙂  IMO they picture him at RT.  However, if things don't fall to nicely early in the draft, he could be the fall back plan for LT.

    Even if we DO draft a LT at 10, if Conklin flat out out-plays him then he could be the LT.

    Signing a starting OT in FA is a big help.

    @orion said:

    🙂  IMO they picture him at RT.  However, if things don't fall to nicely early in the draft, he could be the fall back plan for LT.

    Even if we DO draft a LT at 10, if Conklin flat out out-plays him then he could be the LT.

    Signing a starting OT in FA is a big help.

    In a pinch, Conk can play LT, but if we go into the season with him as our LT, I'm not thrilled. They still need to grab one of those top LTs in the draft. Then go LB, DT, and just BPA really. 

  • Bit late, but was just reading an article that included a tweet  that included (man.... lots a lot of including...) an abbreviation with which I was not familiar, NLTBE... Context said that it was so kind of incentive.

    Turns out it stands for Not Likely To Be Earned and has a "likely to be earned" (LTBE) cousin. Great example is a sack stat... for a number let's pick 10.

    • For MG this level would clearly be LTBE.
    • For Ogun NLTBE is appropriate.

    Mildly interesting perhaps, but what was more interesting (at least to me) was what I stumbled across in route to answer... the NFL's 2019 Free Agent Glossary. No surprise that it turns out there is a 2020 version that was issued just in time for this FA season... March 18.

    The publication also has other tabs dealing with player movement for that year.

    http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001106817/article/2020-nfl-free-agency-glossary-all-the-terms-you-need-to-know

  • Panthers signed PJ Walker... and Chiefs signed Jordan Taamu.  The XFL is officially legit.. and Walker's college coach was Panthers new HC Rhule.

    Next year after/during the draft we now get to speculate which XFL player can plug a gap or beat out someone on the roster

    Panthers also traded Kyle Allen to skins so their QB room is now Bridgewater and Walker.. interesting. I'm calling it now: Walker will eventually be their franchise.

  •  Cam Newton getting released today as per Adam schefter

  •  Cam Newton getting released today as per Adam schefter

    @darren15 said:

     Cam Newton getting released today as per Adam schefter

    Since he cowardly refused to jump on a fumble in the super bowl, I've had no use for him.  (of course, who cares what I think of that, right?)

  • Panthers signed PJ Walker... and Chiefs signed Jordan Taamu.  The XFL is officially legit.. and Walker's college coach was Panthers new HC Rhule.

    Next year after/during the draft we now get to speculate which XFL player can plug a gap or beat out someone on the roster

    Panthers also traded Kyle Allen to skins so their QB room is now Bridgewater and Walker.. interesting. I'm calling it now: Walker will eventually be their franchise.

    @unsympathetic said:

    Panthers signed PJ Walker...

    Actually saw part of a couple of his games... wild, little kid there, but not without promise. Problem I have is him being too different from his starter.

    Perfect spot for him would have been AZ behind Murray... but Teddy? Not feeling that, too much of a style difference for my taste.

    Above is one of the reasons I like Keenum behind Baker... similar QBs.

  • @unsympathetic said:

    Panthers signed PJ Walker...

    Actually saw part of a couple of his games... wild, little kid there, but not without promise. Problem I have is him being too different from his starter.

    Perfect spot for him would have been AZ behind Murray... but Teddy? Not feeling that, too much of a style difference for my taste.

    Above is one of the reasons I like Keenum behind Baker... similar QBs.

    @tour2ma said:

    Actually saw part of a couple of his games... wild, little kid there, but not without promise. Problem I have is him being too different from his starter.

    Perfect spot for him would have been AZ behind Murray... but Teddy? Not feeling that, too much of a style difference for my taste.

    Above is one of the reasons I like Keenum behind Baker... similar QBs.

    And as far as I know we still have Garret Gilbert on the roster.   Wondering if the plan is to retain him as 3rd string. 

    Another question in that regard:     When does this roster expansion happen under the new CBA.   This year, or not until the following year when they go to 17 games.   Expanded roster would let you keep a 3rd string QB active perhaps. 

  • In other MAJOR QB News...

    Brian Hoyer is once again a Pat... 3rd stint with the team.

    Probably deserved its own thread... 😉

  • @tour2ma said:

    Actually saw part of a couple of his games... wild, little kid there, but not without promise. Problem I have is him being too different from his starter.

    Perfect spot for him would have been AZ behind Murray... but Teddy? Not feeling that, too much of a style difference for my taste.

    Above is one of the reasons I like Keenum behind Baker... similar QBs.

    And as far as I know we still have Garret Gilbert on the roster.   Wondering if the plan is to retain him as 3rd string. 

    Another question in that regard:     When does this roster expansion happen under the new CBA.   This year, or not until the following year when they go to 17 games.   Expanded roster would let you keep a 3rd string QB active perhaps. 

    @the-gipper said:

      Expanded roster would let you keep a 3rd string QB active perhaps. 

    i remember but cant remember which game where we were short on o-linemen after injury 

  • In other MAJOR QB News...

    Brian Hoyer is once again a Pat... 3rd stint with the team.

    Probably deserved its own thread... 😉

    @tour2ma said:

    In other MAJOR QB News...

    Brian Hoyer is once again a Pat... 3rd stint with the team.

    I think I saw where he thought he would be given a fair chance to compete for the starting position.

  • @tour2ma said:

    Actually saw part of a couple of his games... wild, little kid there, but not without promise. Problem I have is him being too different from his starter.

    Perfect spot for him would have been AZ behind Murray... but Teddy? Not feeling that, too much of a style difference for my taste.

    Above is one of the reasons I like Keenum behind Baker... similar QBs.

    And as far as I know we still have Garret Gilbert on the roster.   Wondering if the plan is to retain him as 3rd string. 

    Another question in that regard:     When does this roster expansion happen under the new CBA.   This year, or not until the following year when they go to 17 games.   Expanded roster would let you keep a 3rd string QB active perhaps. 

    @the-gipper said:

    Another question in that regard:     When does this roster expansion happen under the new CBA.   This year, or not until the following year when they go to 17 games.   Expanded roster would let you keep a 3rd string QB active perhaps. 

    I thought i read that the new CBA mandated all teams must activate 8 OL-man every game..Most used 6-7 (+1).. Were activating 1 FB (+2).. JOJO is a return specialist (+3)... Bonus--Two TE sets may need 4 activated...  Gilbert needs to run the practice squad..or he won't see many meaningful reps with 2 learning a new offense. Gilbert needs reps, even if he scripts next weeks opponents QB plays..Lamar not so much..

  • Skins traded Dunbar to the Seahawks for a 5th.  When you have a chance to receive a third-day pick for a borderline All-Pro, you do that deal!

    So they have back the pick they traded away for Kyle Allen.. they essentially traded Quinton Dunbar for Kyle Allen....

    To be clear, Quinton Dunbar was the second-highest PFF grade in 2019 for any CB.

  • Skins traded Dunbar to the Seahawks for a 5th.  When you have a chance to receive a third-day pick for a borderline All-Pro, you do that deal!

    So they have back the pick they traded away for Kyle Allen.. they essentially traded Quinton Dunbar for Kyle Allen....

    To be clear, Quinton Dunbar was the second-highest PFF grade in 2019 for any CB.

    @unsympathetic said:

    When you have a chance to receive a third-day pick for a borderline All-Pro, you do that deal!

    hmm....I wish you were the Steelers GM.