What does the Chief Of Staff do?
-
Ask Bob Haldeman what the chief of staff does
-
My concern for her in this position would be the same for any female in this position - no matter her looks, voice, haircut or sexual orientation - the respect factor.
I didn't read all the links in the thread, but if this is a true chief of staff position then this individual is the gateway to the HC. That means not everything gets to the head coach from the staff but everything from the head coach gets to the staff, that means juggling egos on the staff, mediating, counseling both the head coach and the staff and commanding the room when needed. Does the staff need a chief? I thought that was the head coaches job.
Here's a real world scenario the Browns faced in the last two seasons: Todd Haley, the OC with a 20 year NFL resume, and Gregg Williams, the DC with a 30 year NFL resume, could not stand each other. They got chippy in practice. They got chippy on Hard Knocks. We can only imagine the the verbal exchanges not seen once the cameras left and the losing started. The chief of staff would mediate through disagreements with those two. How would that have gone?
According to Browns.com, I did see she was an assistant coach high in school football as late as 2017. Imagine the cynicism from this board if the Browns hired a 30 year old man that two and a half years previous was an assistant coach and algebra teacher. I remember cynicism towards Mike Pettine and he had nearly 15 years of NFL experience since leaving North Penn when the Browns hired him.
From my standpoint, looks, hair, voice, and sexual preference do not matter. She will have the respect of ownership - they have no choice, she will have the respect of the Front Office - they will have no choice. I hope she has the respect of the staff and the locker room, or this will go nowhere.
And, much like my opinion of the Browns' structure when it comes to the chain of command, the more layers added complicate the burden of responsibility and finding the root cause of problems.
-
My concern for her in this position would be the same for any female in this position - no matter her looks, voice, haircut or sexual orientation - the respect factor.
I didn't read all the links in the thread, but if this is a true chief of staff position then this individual is the gateway to the HC. That means not everything gets to the head coach from the staff but everything from the head coach gets to the staff, that means juggling egos on the staff, mediating, counseling both the head coach and the staff and commanding the room when needed. Does the staff need a chief? I thought that was the head coaches job.
Here's a real world scenario the Browns faced in the last two seasons: Todd Haley, the OC with a 20 year NFL resume, and Gregg Williams, the DC with a 30 year NFL resume, could not stand each other. They got chippy in practice. They got chippy on Hard Knocks. We can only imagine the the verbal exchanges not seen once the cameras left and the losing started. The chief of staff would mediate through disagreements with those two. How would that have gone?
According to Browns.com, I did see she was an assistant coach high in school football as late as 2017. Imagine the cynicism from this board if the Browns hired a 30 year old man that two and a half years previous was an assistant coach and algebra teacher. I remember cynicism towards Mike Pettine and he had nearly 15 years of NFL experience since leaving North Penn when the Browns hired him.
From my standpoint, looks, hair, voice, and sexual preference do not matter. She will have the respect of ownership - they have no choice, she will have the respect of the Front Office - they will have no choice. I hope she has the respect of the staff and the locker room, or this will go nowhere.
And, much like my opinion of the Browns' structure when it comes to the chain of command, the more layers added complicate the burden of responsibility and finding the root cause of problems.
And, much like my opinion of the Browns' structure when it comes to the chain of command, the more layers added complicate the burden of responsibility and finding the root cause of problems.
One caveat however. Stefanski has successfully served in that position and knows what it entails. He wanted someone to have that same function for the Browns. Given how well everything has NOT gone here, I say give it a chance. It cannot be worse than what we have had in the past, so nothing to lose and everything to gain the way the new HC wants to try it.?
-
And, much like my opinion of the Browns' structure when it comes to the chain of command, the more layers added complicate the burden of responsibility and finding the root cause of problems.
One caveat however. Stefanski has successfully served in that position and knows what it entails. He wanted someone to have that same function for the Browns. Given how well everything has NOT gone here, I say give it a chance. It cannot be worse than what we have had in the past, so nothing to lose and everything to gain the way the new HC wants to try it.?
One caveat however. Stefanski has successfully served in that position and knows what it entails. He wanted someone to have that same function for the Browns. Given how well everything has NOT gone here, I say give it a chance. It cannot be worse than what we have had in the past, so nothing to lose and everything to gain the way the new HC wants to try it.?
I cannot argue that.
-
And, much like my opinion of the Browns' structure when it comes to the chain of command, the more layers added complicate the burden of responsibility and finding the root cause of problems.
One caveat however. Stefanski has successfully served in that position and knows what it entails. He wanted someone to have that same function for the Browns. Given how well everything has NOT gone here, I say give it a chance. It cannot be worse than what we have had in the past, so nothing to lose and everything to gain the way the new HC wants to try it.?
One caveat however. Stefanski has successfully served in that position and knows what it entails. He wanted someone to have that same function for the Browns. Given how well everything has NOT gone here, I say give it a chance. It cannot be worse than what we have had in the past, so nothing to lose and everything to gain the way the new HC wants to try it.?
I'm fine with it also since Stefanski wanted it but when it comes to our owner I would rather see someone with a vision and a plan for this team for the present and the future and then stick with it and not seemingly using the throwing something against the wall and hoping it sticks approach.
-
As a coach of a female only sport for the last 18yrs, I say it's pretty fucking awesome and am all for it.
As a coach of a female only sport for the last 18yrs, I say it's pretty fucking awesome and am all for it.
OK, so I've been waiting for more hires like this for a while. The ONLY concern I have is whether or not the process is carried out correctly. What do I mean? Well, for one I'm not sure about her title. I would NOT have given her an ambiguous title that doesn't clearly define her role. To me, that's setting her up for failure. She needs to be "defensive backs coach" or "quality control analyst" or something like that.
They haven't done that, instead they made her "Chief of Staff", which to fans, sounds like a concocted attempt to give her an artificially inflated title. I worked for the government for over a decade in 3 different agencies, and Chief of Staff was a VERY big deal. Now, obviously football and government are two totally different things, but how does she fit into the infrastructure of the team?
Perhaps the fans and media don't NEED to know, but again, I think that would be another error in helping females infiltrate the manliest of sports. They should also be cautious not to give her more authority than she's possibly earned. Other players and especially other coaches will sniff that out immediately and you will definitely have internal discord. Most of all, that wouldn't be fair to HER. She strikes me as a person who is willing to do whatever it takes to reach her goal of working in the NFL. She's young, let her work her way up.
Again, this is all speculation on my part. For all I know she's getting coffee for everyone, but I seriously doubt it. I think it's past time for women to have a role in the NFL. They can love football as much as us even if they can't really play the game. That might sound a little harsh, but it's true. I hope she does well, and I REALLY hope it's done right. Don't make her a story, let her work her way up, and let's make some history while winning a shitload of football games.
-
As a coach of a female only sport for the last 18yrs, I say it's pretty fucking awesome and am all for it.
OK, so I've been waiting for more hires like this for a while. The ONLY concern I have is whether or not the process is carried out correctly. What do I mean? Well, for one I'm not sure about her title. I would NOT have given her an ambiguous title that doesn't clearly define her role. To me, that's setting her up for failure. She needs to be "defensive backs coach" or "quality control analyst" or something like that.
They haven't done that, instead they made her "Chief of Staff", which to fans, sounds like a concocted attempt to give her an artificially inflated title. I worked for the government for over a decade in 3 different agencies, and Chief of Staff was a VERY big deal. Now, obviously football and government are two totally different things, but how does she fit into the infrastructure of the team?
Perhaps the fans and media don't NEED to know, but again, I think that would be another error in helping females infiltrate the manliest of sports. They should also be cautious not to give her more authority than she's possibly earned. Other players and especially other coaches will sniff that out immediately and you will definitely have internal discord. Most of all, that wouldn't be fair to HER. She strikes me as a person who is willing to do whatever it takes to reach her goal of working in the NFL. She's young, let her work her way up.
Again, this is all speculation on my part. For all I know she's getting coffee for everyone, but I seriously doubt it. I think it's past time for women to have a role in the NFL. They can love football as much as us even if they can't really play the game. That might sound a little harsh, but it's true. I hope she does well, and I REALLY hope it's done right. Don't make her a story, let her work her way up, and let's make some history while winning a shitload of football games.
OK, so I've been waiting for more hires like this for a while. The ONLY concern I have is whether or not the process is carried out correctly. What do I mean? Well, for one I'm not sure about her title. I would NOT have given her an ambiguous title that doesn't clearly define her role. To me, that's setting her up for failure. She needs to be "defensive backs coach" or "quality control analyst" or something like that.
They haven't done that, instead they made her "Chief of Staff", which to fans, sounds like a concocted attempt to give her an artificially inflated title. I worked for the government for over a decade in 3 different agencies, and Chief of Staff was a VERY big deal. Now, obviously football and government are two totally different things, but how does she fit into the infrastructure of the team?
Perhaps the fans and media don't NEED to know, but again, I think that would be another error in helping females infiltrate the manliest of sports. They should also be cautious not to give her more authority than she's possibly earned. Other players and especially other coaches will sniff that out immediately and you will definitely have internal discord. Most of all, that wouldn't be fair to HER. She strikes me as a person who is willing to do whatever it takes to reach her goal of working in the NFL. She's young, let her work her way up.
Again, this is all speculation on my part. For all I know she's getting coffee for everyone, but I seriously doubt it. I think it's past time for women to have a role in the NFL. They can love football as much as us even if they can't really play the game. That might sound a little harsh, but it's true. I hope she does well, and I REALLY hope it's done right. Don't make her a story, let her work her way up, and let's make some history while winning a shitload of football games.
in the famous words of the ghoul
she's a coffee fetcher
damnit it was supposed to be pink
-
cant escape PC ism
Show proof that she's bad at policy.
I happen to think she might be good at her role.
Are you just another Republican who thinks all women are incompetent?
-
Wow. Somewhere in my head I thought people were past the idea of giving a shit if someone was a man or a woman in charge, but clearly chauvinism is prevalent everywhere.
IMOP, her role is to make sure everyone is on the same page with everything from meetings, to trips, to equipment to analytical data, etc. She is the organization behind the chaos that occurs when you have to run a team. She takes care of the minutia so that Stefanski doesn't have to deal with it. This is why it's such an important role. There are so many things going on from a week to week basis that has absolutely nothing to do with the game but is critical to how the team is run. I have worked on the medical side of football for almost 20 years and I can tell you, especially away games, it takes an extremely large amount of communication to ensure that everyone has what they need. And that is just one aspect! Stefanski can focus on the FB aspect of the game. She can focus on the other parts. It's equally beneficial. She learns how to develop a program and how a team is run, and he can delegate through her. She's going to learn things about how to run an organization more than she is going to learn about the X and Os.
Great hire. Wish Freddie would have been forward thinking enough to have a position like this...
-
cant escape PC ism
Show proof that she's bad at policy.
I happen to think she might be good at her role.
Are you just another Republican who thinks all women are incompetent?
Show proof that she's bad at policy.
huh? what does policy have to do with political correctness? to be PC here (in my comment to tiama63) who was responding to cal and the trending tone of
of the thread turning ugly... is simply to acknowledge the days we live in and the landmines afoot when TALKING about someone elses orientation.
I happen to think she might be good at her role.
Are you just another Republican who thinks all women are incompetent?
wont answer that because it shows just how STOOPID you are in this rediculouus take of yours ... that and getting kicked out from zombo for talking politics in here.
-
Wow. Somewhere in my head I thought people were past the idea of giving a shit if someone was a man or a woman in charge, but clearly chauvinism is prevalent everywhere.
IMOP, her role is to make sure everyone is on the same page with everything from meetings, to trips, to equipment to analytical data, etc. She is the organization behind the chaos that occurs when you have to run a team. She takes care of the minutia so that Stefanski doesn't have to deal with it. This is why it's such an important role. There are so many things going on from a week to week basis that has absolutely nothing to do with the game but is critical to how the team is run. I have worked on the medical side of football for almost 20 years and I can tell you, especially away games, it takes an extremely large amount of communication to ensure that everyone has what they need. And that is just one aspect! Stefanski can focus on the FB aspect of the game. She can focus on the other parts. It's equally beneficial. She learns how to develop a program and how a team is run, and he can delegate through her. She's going to learn things about how to run an organization more than she is going to learn about the X and Os.
Great hire. Wish Freddie would have been forward thinking enough to have a position like this...
Wow. Somewhere in my head I thought people were past the idea of giving a shit if someone was a man or a woman in charge, but clearly chauvinism is prevalent everywhere.
IMOP, her role is to make sure everyone is on the same page with everything from meetings, to trips, to equipment to analytical data, etc. She is the organization behind the chaos that occurs when you have to run a team. She takes care of the minutia so that Stefanski doesn't have to deal with it. This is why it's such an important role. There are so many things going on from a week to week basis that has absolutely nothing to do with the game but is critical to how the team is run. I have worked on the medical side of football for almost 20 years and I can tell you, especially away games, it takes an extremely large amount of communication to ensure that everyone has what they need. And that is just one aspect! Stefanski can focus on the FB aspect of the game. She can focus on the other parts. It's equally beneficial. She learns how to develop a program and how a team is run, and he can delegate through her. She's going to learn things about how to run an organization more than she is going to learn about the X and Os.
Great hire. Wish Freddie would have been forward thinking enough to have a position like this...
Thanks Big! I was curious as to what her duties may be, but your explanation (I know, it's your opinion) clears the air for me as to the type of duties the position may entail, the value to Stefanski, AND how positively it impacts her growth.
Mike.
-
Show proof that she's bad at policy.
huh? what does policy have to do with political correctness? to be PC here (in my comment to tiama63) who was responding to cal and the trending tone of
of the thread turning ugly... is simply to acknowledge the days we live in and the landmines afoot when TALKING about someone elses orientation.
I happen to think she might be good at her role.
Are you just another Republican who thinks all women are incompetent?
wont answer that because it shows just how STOOPID you are in this rediculouus take of yours ... that and getting kicked out from zombo for talking politics in here.
4 hours ago, Unsympathetic said:Show proof that she's bad at policy.
huh? what does policy have to do with political correctness?
You brought it up, jackass. You're the one who thought it would be fun to imply the only reason she was hired was PC.. after it was posted on the thread without complaint or refutation that her resume is actually substantive.
What precisely in her personal history leads unambiguously to a conclusion of her incompetence at this job?
Or do you.. not have anything substantive, and just hoped nobody would call you on your bullshit?
Don't like it? Delete your account.
Oh, and about that Republican thing? You took it into the political with the PC comment.. time for you to stop being sensitive. And if you actually think I went too far.. then maybe you shouldn't have opened the door.
-
4 hours ago, Unsympathetic said:
Show proof that she's bad at policy.
huh? what does policy have to do with political correctness?
You brought it up, jackass. You're the one who thought it would be fun to imply the only reason she was hired was PC.. after it was posted on the thread without complaint or refutation that her resume is actually substantive.
What precisely in her personal history leads unambiguously to a conclusion of her incompetence at this job?
Or do you.. not have anything substantive, and just hoped nobody would call you on your bullshit?
Don't like it? Delete your account.
Oh, and about that Republican thing? You took it into the political with the PC comment.. time for you to stop being sensitive. And if you actually think I went too far.. then maybe you shouldn't have opened the door.
You brought it up, jackass. You're the one who thought it would be fun to imply the only reason she was hired was PC.. after it was posted on the thread without complaint or refutation that her resume is actually substantive.
read in context - oh wait you didnt include that herenext time include the (my) entire post so that by a slimmest of chance, you might ACTUALLY comprehend it?
or are you drunk posting?
what precisely in her personal history leads unambiguously to a conclusion of her incompetence at this job?
it gets simpler here - I never did say anything to that effect, I m not the one engaged in that take - dont believe me? START rereading it genius
with Stefansky and his hires on the staff - Im a wait and see kinda guy
Or do you.. not have anything substantive, and just hoped nobody would call you on your bullshit?
I personally dont care that you seemed to take offense, and it is not bullshit to call out an obvious predjudice. but AGAIN, where are you missing this?
Don't like it? Delete your account.
well, there are a few here that tried... but you cant do it yourself
Oh, and about that Republican thing? You took it into the political with the PC comment.. time for you to stop being sensitive. And if you actually think I went too far.. then maybe you shouldn't have opened the door.
LOL even this says you are looking into a mirror while speaking
-
If there was ever a group that could handle a female taking a job in football with the browns and subverting gender norms it's the old folks home that is the browns board
-
If there was ever a group that could handle a female taking a job in football with the browns and subverting gender norms it's the old folks home that is the browns board
If there was ever a group that could handle a female taking a job in football with the browns and subverting gender norms it's the old folks home that is the browns board
You can't figure out how to write in pink either? ?
-
Katie Sowers is one of the onfield coaches of the 49ers.
What, exactly, is she not doing well? Aside from not being a guy, of course.
-
If there was ever a group that could handle a female taking a job in football with the browns and subverting gender norms it's the old folks home that is the browns board
You can't figure out how to write in pink either? ?
You can't figure out how to write in pink either? ?
stroll arrow over line or word you want colored (should highlight) click on A above for color selection..pink is in more colors, find color, click ok..move arrow down to highlighted lines, than right click..wah lah ?
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login
