Skip to content

Calfox's annual first pre-combine stupid mock draft

The Browns Board
73 13 2.5k 2
  • S SdBacker80 wrote on last edited by SdBacker80
    #60

    Chase Young was singled up for half a season and teams paid dearly. In that time he was singled up most of those teams made a conscious effort to do three step drop ball out.  The second half he was doubled and tripled...pockets were rolling away...again ball out quickly.   Teams got an idea for a second to double him and run right at him, which he either made the play or stood the tackle up and the back is going East and west right away.  Your best containment against him was a 3 and 10 type give up draw where he gets caught getting up field on a pass rush to get the QB.  
     

    Having religiously watched OSU for the past 20-25 years we haven’t had a defender demand that kind of respect EVER. Not Joey...Not Nick...maybe Big Daddy Wilkinson a little in the 90s.  

    Chase Young should be the first overall pick.  The Bengals will probably go QB if they stay and I can’t fault them.  But the Redskins are outta of their dang minds if they take one of these “good” tackle prospects ahead of Young.  

  • @tiamat63 said:

    It's an admitted part of his game he needs to work on and coaches will make sure he does just that at the NFL.   But he'll be drafted so high for one reason only - he's a screamer off the edge and those will always be at a premium in the NFL.

    How does Chase Young compare to Myles Garrett when he was entering the draft? 

    tiamat63T tiamat63 wrote on last edited by tiamat63
    #61

    @dutch-oven said:

    How does Chase Young compare to Myles Garrett when he was entering the draft? 

    IMHO - physical dimensions won't be far off.  Though I think that Chase's first step might be just a hair faster.  Which should show up on the 10 & 20 yard split.  And I think he has a stronger inside rip.    But Myles seems to dip and bend around the edge just a notch better.  He's a large guy that is naturally great at minimizing the contact area for tackles to land a punch like few human beings on Earth.      Chase isn't quite to that level but that isn't to say he's poor at turning the corner either.  We're talking about subtle differences at very high levels.

    Both can get upfield too fast and take themselves out of a play.  Myles did a better job the 1st half of this season playing with more discipline.  I trust Chase will have it coached into him as well.

    I mean, if it wasn't for Burrow - Chase would be going #1 overall.  So there's that to consider as well.

  • @dutch-oven said:

    How does Chase Young compare to Myles Garrett when he was entering the draft? 

    IMHO - physical dimensions won't be far off.  Though I think that Chase's first step might be just a hair faster.  Which should show up on the 10 & 20 yard split.  And I think he has a stronger inside rip.    But Myles seems to dip and bend around the edge just a notch better.  He's a large guy that is naturally great at minimizing the contact area for tackles to land a punch like few human beings on Earth.      Chase isn't quite to that level but that isn't to say he's poor at turning the corner either.  We're talking about subtle differences at very high levels.

    Both can get upfield too fast and take themselves out of a play.  Myles did a better job the 1st half of this season playing with more discipline.  I trust Chase will have it coached into him as well.

    I mean, if it wasn't for Burrow - Chase would be going #1 overall.  So there's that to consider as well.

    T TexasAg1969 wrote on last edited by
    #62

    @tiamat63 said:

    I mean, if it wasn't for Burrow - Chase would be going #1 overall.  So there's that to consider as well.

    Agree.?

  • @dutch-oven said:

    How does Chase Young compare to Myles Garrett when he was entering the draft? 

    IMHO - physical dimensions won't be far off.  Though I think that Chase's first step might be just a hair faster.  Which should show up on the 10 & 20 yard split.  And I think he has a stronger inside rip.    But Myles seems to dip and bend around the edge just a notch better.  He's a large guy that is naturally great at minimizing the contact area for tackles to land a punch like few human beings on Earth.      Chase isn't quite to that level but that isn't to say he's poor at turning the corner either.  We're talking about subtle differences at very high levels.

    Both can get upfield too fast and take themselves out of a play.  Myles did a better job the 1st half of this season playing with more discipline.  I trust Chase will have it coached into him as well.

    I mean, if it wasn't for Burrow - Chase would be going #1 overall.  So there's that to consider as well.

    Tour2maT Tour2ma wrote on last edited by
    #63

    @tiamat63 said:

    IMHO - physical dimensions won't be far off.  Though I think that Chase's first step might be just a hair faster.  Which should show up on the 10 & 20 yard split.  And I think he has a stronger inside rip.    But Myles seems to dip and bend around the edge just a notch better.  He's a large guy that is naturally great at minimizing the contact area for tackles to land a punch like few human beings on Earth.      Chase isn't quite to that level but that isn't to say he's poor at turning the corner either.  We're talking about subtle differences at very high levels.

    Both can get upfield too fast and take themselves out of a play.  Myles did a better job the 1st half of this season playing with more discipline.  I trust Chase will have it coached into him as well.

    Pretty much the same take here...

    I think the biggest difference is Chase coverts speed to power better. Plus he has more "hand skills"... is a better technician than Myles was going into the draft.

    Myles' bend was and is superior. Coming out of TAMU he was essentially a one-trick pony... but what a trick...

    Burst? Very hard call to make... I'll wait for the Combine.

  • @tiamat63 said:

    IMHO - physical dimensions won't be far off.  Though I think that Chase's first step might be just a hair faster.  Which should show up on the 10 & 20 yard split.  And I think he has a stronger inside rip.    But Myles seems to dip and bend around the edge just a notch better.  He's a large guy that is naturally great at minimizing the contact area for tackles to land a punch like few human beings on Earth.      Chase isn't quite to that level but that isn't to say he's poor at turning the corner either.  We're talking about subtle differences at very high levels.

    Both can get upfield too fast and take themselves out of a play.  Myles did a better job the 1st half of this season playing with more discipline.  I trust Chase will have it coached into him as well.

    Pretty much the same take here...

    I think the biggest difference is Chase coverts speed to power better. Plus he has more "hand skills"... is a better technician than Myles was going into the draft.

    Myles' bend was and is superior. Coming out of TAMU he was essentially a one-trick pony... but what a trick...

    Burst? Very hard call to make... I'll wait for the Combine.

    tiamat63T tiamat63 wrote on last edited by
    #64

    @tour2ma said:

    Pretty much the same take here...

    I think the biggest difference is Chase coverts speed to power better. Plus he has more "hand skills"... is a better technician than Myles was going into the draft.

    Myles' bend was and is superior. Coming out of TAMU he was essentially a one-trick pony... but what a trick...

    Burst? Very hard call to make... I'll wait for the Combine.

    Huge credit to Larry Johnson.  That man is a legend of a D-line coach.    The amount of names he has put into the league.....  lordy.

  • @dutch-oven said:

    How does Chase Young compare to Myles Garrett when he was entering the draft? 

    IMHO - physical dimensions won't be far off.  Though I think that Chase's first step might be just a hair faster.  Which should show up on the 10 & 20 yard split.  And I think he has a stronger inside rip.    But Myles seems to dip and bend around the edge just a notch better.  He's a large guy that is naturally great at minimizing the contact area for tackles to land a punch like few human beings on Earth.      Chase isn't quite to that level but that isn't to say he's poor at turning the corner either.  We're talking about subtle differences at very high levels.

    Both can get upfield too fast and take themselves out of a play.  Myles did a better job the 1st half of this season playing with more discipline.  I trust Chase will have it coached into him as well.

    I mean, if it wasn't for Burrow - Chase would be going #1 overall.  So there's that to consider as well.

    FlugelF Flugel wrote on last edited by Flugel
    #65

    @tiamat63 said:

    IMHO - physical dimensions won't be far off.  Though I think that Chase's first step might be just a hair faster.  Which should show up on the 10 & 20 yard split.  And I think he has a stronger inside rip.    But Myles seems to dip and bend around the edge just a notch better.  He's a large guy that is naturally great at minimizing the contact area for tackles to land a punch like few human beings on Earth.      Chase isn't quite to that level but that isn't to say he's poor at turning the corner either.  We're talking about subtle differences at very high levels.

    Both can get upfield too fast and take themselves out of a play.  Myles did a better job the 1st half of this season playing with more discipline.  I trust Chase will have it coached into him as well.

    I mean, if it wasn't for Burrow - Chase would be going #1 overall.  So there's that to consider as well.

    In other words, your buddy Flugel put his foot in his mouth again - which would have been fine if it didn't have a brand new Nike sneaker on it.

    Having said that, I'd like to thank Tony Grossi for reminding me there's always someone ready and willing to be dumber.

  • @tiamat63 said:

    IMHO - physical dimensions won't be far off.  Though I think that Chase's first step might be just a hair faster.  Which should show up on the 10 & 20 yard split.  And I think he has a stronger inside rip.    But Myles seems to dip and bend around the edge just a notch better.  He's a large guy that is naturally great at minimizing the contact area for tackles to land a punch like few human beings on Earth.      Chase isn't quite to that level but that isn't to say he's poor at turning the corner either.  We're talking about subtle differences at very high levels.

    Both can get upfield too fast and take themselves out of a play.  Myles did a better job the 1st half of this season playing with more discipline.  I trust Chase will have it coached into him as well.

    I mean, if it wasn't for Burrow - Chase would be going #1 overall.  So there's that to consider as well.

    In other words, your buddy Flugel put his foot in his mouth again - which would have been fine if it didn't have a brand new Nike sneaker on it.

    Having said that, I'd like to thank Tony Grossi for reminding me there's always someone ready and willing to be dumber.

    tiamat63T tiamat63 wrote on last edited by
    #66

    @flugel said:

    In other words, your buddy Flugel put his foot in his mouth again - which would have been fine if it didn't have a brand new Nike sneaker on it.

    Having said that, I'd like to thank Tony Grossi for reminding me there's always someone ready and willing to be dumber.

    Given the bulk of where Nike is manufactured, might be best to go get tested homie.

  • @flugel said:

    In other words, your buddy Flugel put his foot in his mouth again - which would have been fine if it didn't have a brand new Nike sneaker on it.

    Having said that, I'd like to thank Tony Grossi for reminding me there's always someone ready and willing to be dumber.

    Given the bulk of where Nike is manufactured, might be best to go get tested homie.

    T TexasAg1969 wrote on last edited by
    #67

    @tiamat63 said:

    Given the bulk of where Nike is manufactured, might be best to go get tested homie.

    They make those in San Fran? (not that there's anything wrong with that).?

  • @tiamat63 said:

    Given the bulk of where Nike is manufactured, might be best to go get tested homie.

    They make those in San Fran? (not that there's anything wrong with that).?

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #68

    @texasag1969 said:

    They make those in San Fran? (not that there's anything wrong with that).?

    Wuhan, China.   Home of the Mexicanbeervirus.

  • @tiamat63 said:

    Given the bulk of where Nike is manufactured, might be best to go get tested homie.

    They make those in San Fran? (not that there's anything wrong with that).?

    tiamat63T tiamat63 wrote on last edited by
    #69

    @texasag1969 said:

    They make those in San Fran? (not that there's anything wrong with that).?

    Yeah but they have a Chinatown.  Close enough for my comfort.

  • @texasag1969 said:

    They make those in San Fran? (not that there's anything wrong with that).?

    Yeah but they have a Chinatown.  Close enough for my comfort.

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #70

    @tiamat63 said:

    Yeah but they have a Chinatown.  Close enough for my comfort.

    Cleveland has a Chinatown too.  Though actually they call it Asia Town, as, I assume it takes in others besides Chinese:  Vietnamese, Philipinos etc. 

    East of downtown along St. Clair. 

  • @tiamat63 said:

    Yeah but they have a Chinatown.  Close enough for my comfort.

    Cleveland has a Chinatown too.  Though actually they call it Asia Town, as, I assume it takes in others besides Chinese:  Vietnamese, Philipinos etc. 

    East of downtown along St. Clair. 

    tiamat63T tiamat63 wrote on last edited by
    #71

    @the-gipper said:

    Cleveland has a Chinatown too.  Though actually they call it Asia Town, as, I assume it takes in others besides Chinese:  Vietnamese, Philipinos etc. 

    East of downtown along St. Clair. 

    You make me so unfunny at times.

  • @the-gipper said:

    Cleveland has a Chinatown too.  Though actually they call it Asia Town, as, I assume it takes in others besides Chinese:  Vietnamese, Philipinos etc. 

    East of downtown along St. Clair. 

    You make me so unfunny at times.

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #72

    @tiamat63 said:

    You make me so unfunny at times.

    Go get yourself some Moo Goo Gai Pan to help. 

  • C calfoxwc wrote on last edited by calfoxwc
    #73

    about Marcus Norman - he is a sleeper, for sure. S. Florida - overlooked.

    https://www.nfldraftdiamonds.com/2019/09/marcus-norman/

    https://gousfbulls.com/sports/football/roster/marcus-norman/11762

    but I would love to see him succeed in the NFL - just an instinct on my part.

    I listen to Joe Thomas talking about being an offensive lineman... and  I think I'd look for an OT with

    the heart, character, smarts, and intensity that Joe Thomas has. In my mock, I drafted Marcus real high - 3rd round....but it is more for the intangibles that I did. Without the intangibles, he's more of a 6th/7th rounder...even UDFA. 

    https://www.thedailystampede.com/2019/7/23/20707974/usf-football-ot-marcus-norman-named-to-outland-trophy-watch-list-for-second-straight-year-aac-award