Skip to content

The Browns Hire Asshat Grigson Back As Consultant!

The Browns Board
70 14 1.7k 1
  • hoortaH hoorta wrote on last edited by
    #34

    @the-gipper said:

    I’ll take that as meaning that you don’t have a clue about the answer 

    Well I do so- kindly STFU.   Mr. Knowitall.....  Post deleted...  

  • @orion said:

    Basically, I'm having less and less faith in our new front office. 

    After Richardson had floundered for a year in Indy Grigson said that he would absolutely make the trade all over again.  And when news of Berry (part of our 1-31 gang) agreeing to be our GM broke, the Eagles couldn't drive him to the airport fast enough. (I forget which media person reported that on 92 The Fan  -  Chris SomethingOrOther)

    Beyond a doubt- this sort of stuff seriously concerns me.  

    Regarding Betelguese going supernova in our lifetime, it would be quite a show. Might be visible in the daytime? Get real- easily visible in the daytime, even in the summer with the sun close by. Some estimates say as bright as the full moon, but still a relative pinpoint of light. The one thing missing on my lifetime Astronomy resume. We're overdue for a supernova in our galaxy. The last, Tycho's star- was over 500 years ago. Two bright comets- Hyakutake and Hale-Bopp, and three total solar eclipses. Well, that and if we have another Leonid meteor shower like back in the 1800s.  They were coming down so fast they couldn't be counted. Eyewitnesses said it looked like it was  a major snowstorm coming out of the sky. 

    OrionO Orion wrote on last edited by Orion
    #35

    @hoorta said:

    Regarding Betelguese going supernova in our lifetime, it would be quite a show. Might be visible in the daytime? Get real- easily visible in the daytime, even in the summer with the sun close by. Some estimates say as bright as the full moon, but still a relative pinpoint of light. The one thing missing on my lifetime Astronomy resume. We're overdue for a supernova in our galaxy. The last, Tycho's star- was over 500 years ago. Two bright comets- Hyakutake and Hale-Bopp, and three total solar eclipses. Well, that and if we have another Leonid meteor shower like back in the 1800s.  They were coming down so fast they couldn't be counted. Eyewitnesses said it looked like it was  a major snowstorm coming out of the sky. 

    I read of the Leonids back then.  Three doctors went on a camping tips (I wanna say upstate NY).  One of 'em had to get up in the middle of the night to take a leak (naturally, right) and he noticed the tent seemed to be oddly glowing.  He went outside and saw that amazing spectacle.   He woke the other two and they all watched it.  (that can happen on 33 year cycles I believe, when the head of the comet is coming by and you're in the right spot on the globe)  -  They went into the town the next day and the townspeople were quite confused and somewhat frightened.  So they explained what it was.

    When my son was young his friend happened to have a sleep over at our house, on a Saturday, the night of the Leonids, and it was clear.  So I set up reclining lawn chairs outside and around midnight we went out there with blankets (sleeping bags) and watched.  I pointed to show them Jupiter and just when they looked, a streak went right by Jupiter (the first one they ever saw)!   And shortly after my son's friend pointed and said "Look!"  -  It was an earth grazer blazing across the sky.  Way cool!   Best meteor I've ever seen.

    As for Betelgeuse, supposedly it's not gonna be going supernova in our lifetime.  Perhaps not for another hundred thousand years.  But it IS acting quite strange...dimming more this time than in recorded history...so there's an outside chance.  It would be beyond great if it did go boom.  But remember, the constellation of Orion would never look the same.  Eventually, (a few months?) Orion's right shoulder would be gone to the naked eye.  - Would we have to say that the scorpion did it?  🙂

    What am I doing up at 2:15 in the morning you ask?  My band played a show until 12:35am.  My ears are still ringing and I'm wide awake.  ( we're too old now for late shows like this )  🙂

    ...now back to your regularly scheduled Browns stuff.  Go Browns!

  • @hoorta said:

    Regarding Betelguese going supernova in our lifetime, it would be quite a show. Might be visible in the daytime? Get real- easily visible in the daytime, even in the summer with the sun close by. Some estimates say as bright as the full moon, but still a relative pinpoint of light. The one thing missing on my lifetime Astronomy resume. We're overdue for a supernova in our galaxy. The last, Tycho's star- was over 500 years ago. Two bright comets- Hyakutake and Hale-Bopp, and three total solar eclipses. Well, that and if we have another Leonid meteor shower like back in the 1800s.  They were coming down so fast they couldn't be counted. Eyewitnesses said it looked like it was  a major snowstorm coming out of the sky. 

    I read of the Leonids back then.  Three doctors went on a camping tips (I wanna say upstate NY).  One of 'em had to get up in the middle of the night to take a leak (naturally, right) and he noticed the tent seemed to be oddly glowing.  He went outside and saw that amazing spectacle.   He woke the other two and they all watched it.  (that can happen on 33 year cycles I believe, when the head of the comet is coming by and you're in the right spot on the globe)  -  They went into the town the next day and the townspeople were quite confused and somewhat frightened.  So they explained what it was.

    When my son was young his friend happened to have a sleep over at our house, on a Saturday, the night of the Leonids, and it was clear.  So I set up reclining lawn chairs outside and around midnight we went out there with blankets (sleeping bags) and watched.  I pointed to show them Jupiter and just when they looked, a streak went right by Jupiter (the first one they ever saw)!   And shortly after my son's friend pointed and said "Look!"  -  It was an earth grazer blazing across the sky.  Way cool!   Best meteor I've ever seen.

    As for Betelgeuse, supposedly it's not gonna be going supernova in our lifetime.  Perhaps not for another hundred thousand years.  But it IS acting quite strange...dimming more this time than in recorded history...so there's an outside chance.  It would be beyond great if it did go boom.  But remember, the constellation of Orion would never look the same.  Eventually, (a few months?) Orion's right shoulder would be gone to the naked eye.  - Would we have to say that the scorpion did it?  🙂

    What am I doing up at 2:15 in the morning you ask?  My band played a show until 12:35am.  My ears are still ringing and I'm wide awake.  ( we're too old now for late shows like this )  🙂

    ...now back to your regularly scheduled Browns stuff.  Go Browns!

    T TexasAg1969 wrote on last edited by
    #36

    @orion said:

    I read of the Leonids back then.

    I was filling up at gas station and happened to be looking towards Austin in Nov. 2018 when this one came out of the Leonids. Much more spectacular when you see it in the open air rather than through the windshield. It really lit up the sky.
     

  • @the-gipper said:

    I’ll take that as meaning that you don’t have a clue about the answer 

    Well I do so- kindly STFU.   Mr. Knowitall.....  Post deleted...  

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #37

    @hoorta said:

    Well I do so- kindly STFU.   Mr. Knowitall.....  Post deleted...  

    It was a trivia question.....all were free to answer.

  • @hoorta said:

    Well I do so- kindly STFU.   Mr. Knowitall.....  Post deleted...  

    It was a trivia question.....all were free to answer.

    Dutch OvenD Dutch Oven wrote on last edited by
    #38

    @the-gipper said:

    It was a trivia question.....all were free to answer.

    For $3.50, I would have happily answered.

    I don't answer questions regarding the Pittsburgh Steelers 1974 NFL Draft for free, son. 

  • @the-gipper said:

    It was a trivia question.....all were free to answer.

    For $3.50, I would have happily answered.

    I don't answer questions regarding the Pittsburgh Steelers 1974 NFL Draft for free, son. 

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #39

    @dutch-oven said:

    For $3.50, I would have happily answered.

    I don't answer questions regarding the Pittsburgh Steelers 1974 NFL Draft for free, son. 

    OK, consider your self paid.  What is your answer. 

  • @the-gipper said:

    It was a trivia question.....all were free to answer.

    For $3.50, I would have happily answered.

    I don't answer questions regarding the Pittsburgh Steelers 1974 NFL Draft for free, son. 

    mjp28M mjp28 wrote on last edited by
    #40

    @dutch-oven said:

    For $3.50, I would have happily answered.

    I don't answer questions regarding the Pittsburgh Steelers 1974 NFL Draft for free, son. 

    Or you can just ask Attorney Google.    😆

  • @dutch-oven said:

    For $3.50, I would have happily answered.

    I don't answer questions regarding the Pittsburgh Steelers 1974 NFL Draft for free, son. 

    OK, consider your self paid.  What is your answer. 

    Dutch OvenD Dutch Oven wrote on last edited by
    #41

    @the-gipper said:

    OK, consider your self paid.  What is your answer. 

    Go down to your local Wadsworth convenient store, grab a 20 oz pop and a bag of chips, and as you are walking out the door tell the cashier:

    "Consider yourself paid."

    Come back here and tell us how that worked out for you. ?

  • @orion said:

    I read of the Leonids back then.

    I was filling up at gas station and happened to be looking towards Austin in Nov. 2018 when this one came out of the Leonids. Much more spectacular when you see it in the open air rather than through the windshield. It really lit up the sky.
     

    OrionO Orion wrote on last edited by
    #42

    @texasag1969 said:

    happened to be looking towards Austin in Nov. 2018 when this one came out of the Leonids

    Yeah baby!  That was a good one to see!  You never know what you're gonna see.  If you're a captive audience at the gas pump...then why not take a look up?  

  • @texasag1969 said:

    happened to be looking towards Austin in Nov. 2018 when this one came out of the Leonids

    Yeah baby!  That was a good one to see!  You never know what you're gonna see.  If you're a captive audience at the gas pump...then why not take a look up?  

    hoortaH hoorta wrote on last edited by
    #43

    @orion said:

    Yeah baby!  That was a good one to see!  You never know what you're gonna see.  If you're a captive audience at the gas pump...then why not take a look up?  

    We were lucky enough to see a major fireball at a night  HS football  game. The band was doing a halftime  show with the lights  turned off. We thought  they had  turned the  lights  back on.  Nope, a sight  I'll never forget. Lit the place  up like  daytime and had to be at least -12 magnitude.  For the non astronomers out there brighter than the full moon.  

    A little aside- I  read somewhere the small asteroid that wiped out the dinosaurs was probably  as bright as the  noon day sun right before  it hit. Um, we don't  want to  see  one of those.  

  • @orion said:

    Yeah baby!  That was a good one to see!  You never know what you're gonna see.  If you're a captive audience at the gas pump...then why not take a look up?  

    We were lucky enough to see a major fireball at a night  HS football  game. The band was doing a halftime  show with the lights  turned off. We thought  they had  turned the  lights  back on.  Nope, a sight  I'll never forget. Lit the place  up like  daytime and had to be at least -12 magnitude.  For the non astronomers out there brighter than the full moon.  

    A little aside- I  read somewhere the small asteroid that wiped out the dinosaurs was probably  as bright as the  noon day sun right before  it hit. Um, we don't  want to  see  one of those.  

    nickersN nickers wrote on last edited by
    #44

    @hoorta said:

    We were lucky enough to see a major fireball at a night  HS football  game. The band was doing a halftime  show with the lights  turned off. We thought  they had  turned the  lights  back on.  Nope, a sight  I'll never forget. Lit the place  up like  daytime and had to be at least -12 magnitude.  For the non astronomers out there brighter than the full moon.  

    A little aside- I  read somewhere the small asteroid that wiped out the dinosaurs was probably  as bright as the  noon day sun right before  it hit. Um, we don't  want to  see  one of those.  

    I saw the perseid meteor showers on a moonlit January night when I was a kid.. it was awesome!!

  • @orion said:

    Yeah baby!  That was a good one to see!  You never know what you're gonna see.  If you're a captive audience at the gas pump...then why not take a look up?  

    We were lucky enough to see a major fireball at a night  HS football  game. The band was doing a halftime  show with the lights  turned off. We thought  they had  turned the  lights  back on.  Nope, a sight  I'll never forget. Lit the place  up like  daytime and had to be at least -12 magnitude.  For the non astronomers out there brighter than the full moon.  

    A little aside- I  read somewhere the small asteroid that wiped out the dinosaurs was probably  as bright as the  noon day sun right before  it hit. Um, we don't  want to  see  one of those.  

    T TexasAg1969 wrote on last edited by
    #45

    @hoorta said:

    We were lucky enough to see a major fireball at a night  HS football  game. The band was doing a halftime  show with the lights  turned off. We thought  they had  turned the  lights  back on.  Nope, a sight  I'll never forget. Lit the place  up like  daytime and had to be at least -12 magnitude.  For the non astronomers out there brighter than the full moon.  

    A little aside- I  read somewhere the small asteroid that wiped out the dinosaurs was probably  as bright as the  noon day sun right before  it hit. Um, we don't  want to  see  one of those.  

    That dino killing "small" asteroid likely had it's nose on the ground and it's tail 6 or more miles high into the stratosphere on impact.

    https://www.activewild.com/how-big-was-the-asteroid-that-killed-the-dinosaurs/

  • @the-gipper said:

    OK, consider your self paid.  What is your answer. 

    Go down to your local Wadsworth convenient store, grab a 20 oz pop and a bag of chips, and as you are walking out the door tell the cashier:

    "Consider yourself paid."

    Come back here and tell us how that worked out for you. ?

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #46

    @dutch-oven said:

    Go down to your local Wadsworth convenient store, grab a 20 oz pop and a bag of chips, and as you are walking out the door tell the cashier:

    "Consider yourself paid."

    Come back here and tell us how that worked out for you. ?

    You are the one that I was going to buy lunch for at Al's in Barberton.  All you had to do was come up Van Buren from Canal Fulton. But, you never did.  

    So, clearly it is not about the money for you...if you can't even take a free lunch when its offered.  Now its too late.  I gave up my office there.  

  • @dutch-oven said:

    For $3.50, I would have happily answered.

    I don't answer questions regarding the Pittsburgh Steelers 1974 NFL Draft for free, son. 

    Or you can just ask Attorney Google.    😆

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #47

    @mjp28 said:

    Or you can just ask Attorney Google.    😆

    Don't be an idiot.  You know I know this shit.  But all you do is google and paste shit on here. 

  • @orion said:

    Basically, I'm having less and less faith in our new front office. 

    After Richardson had floundered for a year in Indy Grigson said that he would absolutely make the trade all over again.  And when news of Berry (part of our 1-31 gang) agreeing to be our GM broke, the Eagles couldn't drive him to the airport fast enough. (I forget which media person reported that on 92 The Fan  -  Chris SomethingOrOther)

    Beyond a doubt- this sort of stuff seriously concerns me.  

    Regarding Betelguese going supernova in our lifetime, it would be quite a show. Might be visible in the daytime? Get real- easily visible in the daytime, even in the summer with the sun close by. Some estimates say as bright as the full moon, but still a relative pinpoint of light. The one thing missing on my lifetime Astronomy resume. We're overdue for a supernova in our galaxy. The last, Tycho's star- was over 500 years ago. Two bright comets- Hyakutake and Hale-Bopp, and three total solar eclipses. Well, that and if we have another Leonid meteor shower like back in the 1800s.  They were coming down so fast they couldn't be counted. Eyewitnesses said it looked like it was  a major snowstorm coming out of the sky. 

    ballpeenB ballpeen wrote on last edited by
    #48

    @hoorta said:

    Beyond a doubt- this sort of stuff seriously concerns me.  

    Regarding Betelguese going supernova in our lifetime, it would be quite a show. Might be visible in the daytime? Get real- easily visible in the daytime, even in the summer with the sun close by. Some estimates say as bright as the full moon, but still a relative pinpoint of light. The one thing missing on my lifetime Astronomy resume. We're overdue for a supernova in our galaxy. The last, Tycho's star- was over 500 years ago. Two bright comets- Hyakutake and Hale-Bopp, and three total solar eclipses. Well, that and if we have another Leonid meteor shower like back in the 1800s.  They were coming down so fast they couldn't be counted. Eyewitnesses said it looked like it was  a major snowstorm coming out of the sky. 

    Well, it may have happed 20,000 years ago and we are about to see the results.  I like astronomy as well.  I still have a nice 80mm Meade refractor I still pull out in cooler weather.  I had a 10" Schmidt Cassigrain, but donated that to the local astronomy club maybe 5 years ago.  It has full computer assist.  Just set it, GPS does the rest.  Plug in M-81 and you are following as long as you want.  It was just heavy to lug around.  I still go to Clarence Jones observatory for lectures.  It is part of UTC….Tennessee Chattanooga.  The observatory has a 20.5" primary mirror.  It was one of the test mirrors before the 200" Hale mirror was poured.  You get some pretty impressive views despite light pollution.  It was out in the country when built in the 30's.  Efforts are under consideration to move another 20 miles out of town.  It is a magnificent telescope.

  • The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #49

    Just to put you all out of your collective misery.....the 1974 Steeler draft had 4 Hall of Famers come out of it.   More than any other draft class by one team in history:    Mike Webster, Jack Lambert, Lynn Swann, and...Mel Blount, I think....not sure about that last one. 

  • @hoorta said:

    Beyond a doubt- this sort of stuff seriously concerns me.  

    Regarding Betelguese going supernova in our lifetime, it would be quite a show. Might be visible in the daytime? Get real- easily visible in the daytime, even in the summer with the sun close by. Some estimates say as bright as the full moon, but still a relative pinpoint of light. The one thing missing on my lifetime Astronomy resume. We're overdue for a supernova in our galaxy. The last, Tycho's star- was over 500 years ago. Two bright comets- Hyakutake and Hale-Bopp, and three total solar eclipses. Well, that and if we have another Leonid meteor shower like back in the 1800s.  They were coming down so fast they couldn't be counted. Eyewitnesses said it looked like it was  a major snowstorm coming out of the sky. 

    Well, it may have happed 20,000 years ago and we are about to see the results.  I like astronomy as well.  I still have a nice 80mm Meade refractor I still pull out in cooler weather.  I had a 10" Schmidt Cassigrain, but donated that to the local astronomy club maybe 5 years ago.  It has full computer assist.  Just set it, GPS does the rest.  Plug in M-81 and you are following as long as you want.  It was just heavy to lug around.  I still go to Clarence Jones observatory for lectures.  It is part of UTC….Tennessee Chattanooga.  The observatory has a 20.5" primary mirror.  It was one of the test mirrors before the 200" Hale mirror was poured.  You get some pretty impressive views despite light pollution.  It was out in the country when built in the 30's.  Efforts are under consideration to move another 20 miles out of town.  It is a magnificent telescope.

    hoortaH hoorta wrote on last edited by
    #50

    @ballpeen said:

    Well, it may have happed 20,000 years ago and we are about to see the results.  I like astronomy as well.  I still have a nice 80mm Meade refractor I still pull out in cooler weather.  I had a 10" Schmidt Cassigrain, but donated that to the local astronomy club maybe 5 years ago.  It has full computer assist.  Just set it, GPS does the rest.  Plug in M-81 and you are following as long as you want.  It was just heavy to lug around.  I still go to Clarence Jones observatory for lectures.  It is part of UTC….Tennessee Chattanooga.  The observatory has a 20.5" primary mirror.  It was one of the test mirrors before the 200" Hale mirror was poured.  You get some pretty impressive views despite light pollution.  It was out in the country when built in the 30's.  Efforts are under consideration to move another 20 miles out of town.  It is a magnificent telescope.

    🙂 As they say, the best telescope is the one you use. Totally understand not wanting to drag a 10" scope out just to use it. I have to say I got spoiled looking through the Clubs 12" & 16" reflectors at a semi dark site. Then go to a Star Party in the middle of nowhere out in Nebraska with the limiting magnitude below 6, and start looking through the really big scopes guys have- well. Jupiter was so bright looking through a guys 24" Obsession- it was enough to hurt your eyes. And you could actuality see color in the Triffid Nebula in another 36" reflector. 

    FWIW, I have an old 4" Meade Schmidt-Cassegrain that I can haul around when I'm travelling- the biggest 'scope that will fit in an overhead bin on a plane, (took it to Curacao for the 1998 solar eclipse) and an even older 6" f\10 reflector that has diffraction limited optics I built from scratch way back in the 60s. 

  • The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #51

    When is Warp Drive going to be invented?

  • Just to put you all out of your collective misery.....the 1974 Steeler draft had 4 Hall of Famers come out of it.   More than any other draft class by one team in history:    Mike Webster, Jack Lambert, Lynn Swann, and...Mel Blount, I think....not sure about that last one. 

    hoortaH hoorta wrote on last edited by hoorta
    #52

    @the-gipper said:

    Just to put you all out of your collective misery.....the 1974 Steeler draft had 4 Hall of Famers come out of it.   More than any other draft class by one team in history:    Mike Webster, Jack Lambert, Lynn Swann, and...Mel Blount, I think....not sure about that last one. 

    & why should I reply to  something that I already know the answer to?   🙂  FWIW, the other was John Stallworth- and a lot of non Steeler fans can raise a serious stink Swann and Stallworth aren't worthy because of mediocre career stats. They only got in because Myron Cope was on a mission to get every Steeler that played in the 70s in the HOF. I'm surprised Rocky Blier isn't in yet.  😁 

    I've said for years, Clay Matthews would have been in the HOF decades ago if he had played for the Steelers and not the Browns.  

  • @the-gipper said:

    Just to put you all out of your collective misery.....the 1974 Steeler draft had 4 Hall of Famers come out of it.   More than any other draft class by one team in history:    Mike Webster, Jack Lambert, Lynn Swann, and...Mel Blount, I think....not sure about that last one. 

    & why should I reply to  something that I already know the answer to?   🙂  FWIW, the other was John Stallworth- and a lot of non Steeler fans can raise a serious stink Swann and Stallworth aren't worthy because of mediocre career stats. They only got in because Myron Cope was on a mission to get every Steeler that played in the 70s in the HOF. I'm surprised Rocky Blier isn't in yet.  😁 

    I've said for years, Clay Matthews would have been in the HOF decades ago if he had played for the Steelers and not the Browns.  

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #53

    @hoorta said:

    & why should I reply to  something that I already know the answer to? 

    Because it is a trivia question and the point of a trivia question is to give the answer if you know it.    You would make a poor Jeopardy contestant if the only questions you wanted to answer were those that you did NOT know the answer to. 

     🙂  FWIW, the other was John Stallworth- and a lot of non Steeler fans can raise a serious stink Swann and Stallworth aren't worthy because of mediocre career stats. They only got in because Myron Cope was on a mission to get every Steeler that played in the 70s in the HOF. I'm surprised Rocky Blier isn't in yet.  😁 

    I was thinking Stallworth, but then I thought....wait....2WRs?  It didn't seem right. 

    I've said for years, Clay Matthews would have been in the HOF decades ago if he had played for the Steelers and not the Browns.  

    Or, if the Browns had pulled out a couple of Super Bowl appearances when he was here, that would have helped a lot.   I DO think that some of the voters just discount any player whose team never won (or went to) a Super Bowl.