Bold idea that would change the landscape of sports in Cleveland
-
-
And how are they (whomever) going to do the financing for all of this ?
I do believe in looking ahead and creative thinking but are the CBS and Progressive beyond their useful lives ?
And how are they (whomever) going to do the financing for all of this ?
I do believe in looking ahead and creative thinking but are the CBS and Progressive beyond their useful lives ?
The tax payers, of course!
I would have asked Ruiter why the Browns new stadium couldn't have been built where the Wolstein Center is, eliminating the need for a new ballpark for the Indians.
-
-
Sounds dumb to me...
I noticed that Gilbert commented on every franchise's home other than his.
I love the Jake...
I like that Browns Stadium was built on the site of old Muni...
Sounds dumb to me...
I noticed that Gilbert commented on every franchise's home other than his.
I love the Jake...
I like that Browns Stadium was built on the site of old Muni...
I agree with you on Progressive Field, but not on First Energy. There is no bigger waste of money and space than an open-air football stadium, especially in the North. Then you add the fact that being on the lakefront makes it very expensive to maintain, and that prime real estate is wasted for 10 dates a year, plus the occasional concert. Having a retractable dome would open up the ability for Cleveland to host huge events like the Super Bowl, NCAA Final Four, etc... All that means more to me that this mediocre stadium sitting on the site of old Cleveland Stadium, IMO....
I would imagine the reason Gilbert didn't comment on the home of the Cavs is because the home of the Cavs just underwent an enormous facelift.
-
Sounds dumb to me...
I noticed that Gilbert commented on every franchise's home other than his.
I love the Jake...
I like that Browns Stadium was built on the site of old Muni...
I agree with you on Progressive Field, but not on First Energy. There is no bigger waste of money and space than an open-air football stadium, especially in the North. Then you add the fact that being on the lakefront makes it very expensive to maintain, and that prime real estate is wasted for 10 dates a year, plus the occasional concert. Having a retractable dome would open up the ability for Cleveland to host huge events like the Super Bowl, NCAA Final Four, etc... All that means more to me that this mediocre stadium sitting on the site of old Cleveland Stadium, IMO....
I would imagine the reason Gilbert didn't comment on the home of the Cavs is because the home of the Cavs just underwent an enormous facelift.
I agree with you on Progressive Field, but not on First Energy. There is no bigger waste of money and space than an open-air football stadium, especially in the North. Then you add the fact that being on the lakefront makes it very expensive to maintain, and that prime real estate is wasted for 10 dates a year, plus the occasional concert. Having a retractable dome would open up the ability for Cleveland to host huge events like the Super Bowl, NCAA Final Four, etc... All that means more to me that this mediocre stadium sitting on the site of old Cleveland Stadium, IMO....
I would imagine the reason Gilbert didn't comment on the home of the Cavs is because the home of the Cavs just underwent an enormous facelift.
And the Cavs are a pitiful team without LBJ.
THE BROWNS blew it not going with a retractable stadium when they replaced the Ol' Muni.....an expensive Mulligan now to build another stadium.
-
Gilbert has the money.
-
So does Jimma
-
-

-
Less for baseball and more for football?
Hell yeah let's do it.
Jump in front of the inevitable decline in baseball and move it towards more football. Become a venue for cold weather games (bowls, XFL, etc)
-
Less for baseball and more for football?
Hell yeah let's do it.
Jump in front of the inevitable decline in baseball and move it towards more football. Become a venue for cold weather games (bowls, XFL, etc)
Less for baseball and more for football?
Hell yeah let's do it.
Jump in front of the inevitable decline in baseball and move it towards more football. Become a venue for cold weather games (bowls, XFL, etc)
Shut up soccer fag.
-
Apparently Dan Gilbert was on 92.3 this morning, I had just missed his interview when I turned it on at 7:25am... From the interview, which Gilbert talked about the state of downtown Cleveland in relation to it's sports teams, Daryl Ruiter came up with a bold plan... What do you think of it?
1. Tear down CSU's Wolstein Center on the near east side of downtown. It has become somewhat of a white elephant.
2. Build a smaller, more intimate ballpark for the Indians. Think a 32,000-34,000 seat PNC Field. Upper deck that hugs the playing field, unlike Progressive Field. Half the amount of luxury boxes.
3. Tear down Progressive Field, build a new retractable dome for the Browns in its spot. Go after the Super Bowl, NCAA Final Four, Big Ten Championship, etc...
4. Tear down First Energy Stadium, develop (finally) the lakefront. Haslam has made a point a few times about how much money is poured into the stadium there because the damage it takes from being on the lakefront. This is a great piece of real estate, Cleveland needs to finally take advantage of its lakefront.
What say you?
Apparently Dan Gilbert was on 92.3 this morning, I had just missed his interview when I turned it on at 7:25am... From the interview, which Gilbert talked about the state of downtown Cleveland in relation to it's sports teams, Daryl Ruiter came up with a bold plan... What do you think of it?
1. Tear down CSU's Wolstein Center on the near east side of downtown. It has become somewhat of a white elephant.
2. Build a smaller, more intimate ballpark for the Indians. Think a 32,000-34,000 seat PNC Field. Upper deck that hugs the playing field, unlike Progressive Field. Half the amount of luxury boxes.
3. Tear down Progressive Field, build a new retractable dome for the Browns in its spot. Go after the Super Bowl, NCAA Final Four, Big Ten Championship, etc...
4. Tear down First Energy Stadium, develop (finally) the lakefront. Haslam has made a point a few times about how much money is poured into the stadium there because the damage it takes from being on the lakefront. This is a great piece of real estate, Cleveland needs to finally take advantage of its lakefront.
What say you?
How many packs of smokes and bottles are you gonna tax?
tear downs $$
new builds $$$$$$
and you just put a ton of money in First energy and not too long ago the Prog the new scoreboard etc
before they built first energy I was screaming for a dome for the very reasons brought up. Super Bowl, NCAA other big events. We doubled down and remodeled it now too.
too late -
Apparently Dan Gilbert was on 92.3 this morning, I had just missed his interview when I turned it on at 7:25am... From the interview, which Gilbert talked about the state of downtown Cleveland in relation to it's sports teams, Daryl Ruiter came up with a bold plan... What do you think of it?
1. Tear down CSU's Wolstein Center on the near east side of downtown. It has become somewhat of a white elephant.
2. Build a smaller, more intimate ballpark for the Indians. Think a 32,000-34,000 seat PNC Field. Upper deck that hugs the playing field, unlike Progressive Field. Half the amount of luxury boxes.
3. Tear down Progressive Field, build a new retractable dome for the Browns in its spot. Go after the Super Bowl, NCAA Final Four, Big Ten Championship, etc...
4. Tear down First Energy Stadium, develop (finally) the lakefront. Haslam has made a point a few times about how much money is poured into the stadium there because the damage it takes from being on the lakefront. This is a great piece of real estate, Cleveland needs to finally take advantage of its lakefront.
What say you?
How many packs of smokes and bottles are you gonna tax?
tear downs $$
new builds $$$$$$
and you just put a ton of money in First energy and not too long ago the Prog the new scoreboard etc
before they built first energy I was screaming for a dome for the very reasons brought up. Super Bowl, NCAA other big events. We doubled down and remodeled it now too.
too lateHow many packs of smokes and bottles are you gonna tax?
tear downs $$
new builds $$$$$$
and you just put a ton of money in First energy and not too long ago the Prog the new scoreboard etc
before they built first energy I was screaming for a dome for the very reasons brought up. Super Bowl, NCAA other big events. We doubled down and remodeled it now too.
too lateI think it's a pipe dream too...
Someday the Browns will be playing in a retractable dome. I have a feeling if the Haslams are around for the long term, they'll demand an upgrade.
I still think the next ballpark the Indians play in won't be in Cleveland.
-
How many packs of smokes and bottles are you gonna tax?
tear downs $$
new builds $$$$$$
and you just put a ton of money in First energy and not too long ago the Prog the new scoreboard etc
before they built first energy I was screaming for a dome for the very reasons brought up. Super Bowl, NCAA other big events. We doubled down and remodeled it now too.
too lateI think it's a pipe dream too...
Someday the Browns will be playing in a retractable dome. I have a feeling if the Haslams are around for the long term, they'll demand an upgrade.
I still think the next ballpark the Indians play in won't be in Cleveland.
I think it's a pipe dream too...
Someday the Browns will be playing in a retractable dome. I have a feeling if the Haslams are around for the long term, they'll demand an upgrade.
I still think the next ballpark the Indians play in won't be in Cleveland.
The tribes ballpark can last for another 50 or more years
-
Sounds dumb to me...
I noticed that Gilbert commented on every franchise's home other than his.
I love the Jake...
I like that Browns Stadium was built on the site of old Muni...
I agree with you on Progressive Field, but not on First Energy. There is no bigger waste of money and space than an open-air football stadium, especially in the North. Then you add the fact that being on the lakefront makes it very expensive to maintain, and that prime real estate is wasted for 10 dates a year, plus the occasional concert. Having a retractable dome would open up the ability for Cleveland to host huge events like the Super Bowl, NCAA Final Four, etc... All that means more to me that this mediocre stadium sitting on the site of old Cleveland Stadium, IMO....
I would imagine the reason Gilbert didn't comment on the home of the Cavs is because the home of the Cavs just underwent an enormous facelift.
I agree with you on Progressive Field, but not on First Energy. There is no bigger waste of money and space than an open-air football stadium, especially in the North.
Put a lid on that sucker and you guys will finally be able to see the greatest sport ever.....
Supercross baby.
-
Less for baseball and more for football?
Hell yeah let's do it.
Jump in front of the inevitable decline in baseball and move it towards more football. Become a venue for cold weather games (bowls, XFL, etc)
Shut up soccer fag.
Shut up
soccersupercross fag. -
Shut up
soccersupercross fag. -
And how are they (whomever) going to do the financing for all of this ?
I do believe in looking ahead and creative thinking but are the CBS and Progressive beyond their useful lives ?
And how are they (whomever) going to do the financing for all of this ?
I do believe in looking ahead and creative thinking but are the CBS and Progressive beyond their useful lives ?
Put a winning team on the field, and scew the dome. Cold weather? New England, Green Bay, Pittsburgh, and Kansas City. Any of those cities screaming for a dome? Don't think so. Only the wimps. It's bullshit, you can sit out in 10 degree weather for hours and be totally comfortable- if you know how to dress for it.
FWIW, I've been to several domed venues. If that's the ambiance you want, I suggest you stay home, save your money, and watch the game on the tube. Because that's what you get.
Domed stadium for the Browns? Just let Dan and Jimmy toss in a billion each, and no problem. That's the only way it's happening in Cleveland.
The tribes ballpark can last for another 50 or more years
Yeah Gip, they should tear down those Fenway and Wrigley mausoleums too.
-
I'll not argue that a retractable dome may bring Super Bowls & other events to Cleveland but, as a 73 year old Browns' Fan & Season Ticket Member, I prefer football played "in the elements". I really can't imagine sitting "inside" at a football game. It just doesn't seem natural to me.
Bottom line is that, no matter what, I'm all in as a Browns' Fan for the rest of my life.
Mike
-
I'll not argue that a retractable dome may bring Super Bowls & other events to Cleveland but, as a 73 year old Browns' Fan & Season Ticket Member, I prefer football played "in the elements". I really can't imagine sitting "inside" at a football game. It just doesn't seem natural to me.
Bottom line is that, no matter what, I'm all in as a Browns' Fan for the rest of my life.
Mike
I'll not argue that a retractable dome may bring Super Bowls & other events to Cleveland but, as a 73 year old Browns' Fan & Season Ticket Member, I prefer football played "in the elements". I really can't imagine sitting "inside" at a football game. It just doesn't seem natural to me.
Bottom line is that, no matter what, I'm all in as a Browns' Fan for the rest of my life.
Mike
Agree 100%. Dress for the tailgate and weather. Yeah, those windy days can be tough, but if we are still here after all the years of crap, we aren't going anywhere.
In 2007 I took my (at the time) 12 year old son to St. Louis to watch the Browns/Rams game. It was boring sitting in a dome.Felt like a movie theater.
Went to Jerry's Palace in 2012, Browns/Cowboys. While it's not a true "dome," it is pretty darn close. Honestly, I wasn't impressed with that stadium at all. I found myself looking at the giant TV too much (and bitching about Brandon Weeden lol...who throws a ball into the bleachers on 4th and goal from the 3?).
Went to Phoenix this year, Browns/Cardinals. Funny, I completely agree they need a dome, it's way to hot down there, but once again, just an odd atmosphere.
Our problem in Cleveland is simply our sports teams owners are all mixed up. Dolan needs to own an NBA or NFL team with a salary cap. Gilbert or Haslam should own the Tribe, they'd ante up for Lindor.
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login