Bold idea that would change the landscape of sports in Cleveland
-
-
Football indoors sucks, especially for Browns fans used to football being played in the mud and snow.
But financially there is nothing more idiotic than building an astronomically expensive building that gets used 12 or so times a year, especially when it sits on prime real estate.
Football indoors sucks, especially for Browns fans used to football being played in the mud and snow.
But financially there is nothing more idiotic than building an astronomically expensive building that gets used 12 or so times a year, especially when it sits on prime real estate.
The outdoor vs dome/retractable stadium talk is about drawing other venues to a football stadium besides two preseason games and eight regular season games in 365 days a year.
Fan and player comfort is just nice if you have a rare 0° day with 25 mph winds or maybe torrential rain.
Also the joint football/baseball stadiums are gone forever.........unless Al Davis rises out of his grave just to piss us all off again.

-
Did you not get the memo on immature name-calling, Tour? ?
The original post is still standing, apparently that stand is on a case-by-case situation.
Hardly name calling Dutch. Tour was expressing his personal opinion (which happens to be different) than yours.
There's ways to disagree without resorting to calling someone a racist bigot.
Your feelings hurt because I'm tired of you and Gorka calling each other names? FWIW, I wound up wasting a lot of time deleting what amounted to roughly 30% of the Garrett thread that was just off topic personal insult bullshit.
-
How many packs of smokes and bottles are you gonna tax?
tear downs $$
new builds $$$$$$
and you just put a ton of money in First energy and not too long ago the Prog the new scoreboard etc
before they built first energy I was screaming for a dome for the very reasons brought up. Super Bowl, NCAA other big events. We doubled down and remodeled it now too.
too lateI think it's a pipe dream too...
Someday the Browns will be playing in a retractable dome. I have a feeling if the Haslams are around for the long term, they'll demand an upgrade.
I still think the next ballpark the Indians play in won't be in Cleveland.
I think it's a pipe dream too...
Someday the Browns will be playing in a retractable dome. I have a feeling if the Haslams are around for the long term, they'll demand an upgrade.
I still think the next ballpark the Indians play in won't be in Cleveland.
The Jake... Prog...has at least 20-25 years left.
it will be interesting in that time it could very well be a early-mid 90s type scenario again. Browns and Indians looking for new Stadiums. Absolutely nothing wrong with First energy it is as modern as any stadium out there.
-
I think it's a pipe dream too...
Someday the Browns will be playing in a retractable dome. I have a feeling if the Haslams are around for the long term, they'll demand an upgrade.
I still think the next ballpark the Indians play in won't be in Cleveland.
The Jake... Prog...has at least 20-25 years left.
it will be interesting in that time it could very well be a early-mid 90s type scenario again. Browns and Indians looking for new Stadiums. Absolutely nothing wrong with First energy it is as modern as any stadium out there.
The Jake... Prog...has at least 20-25 years left.
it will be interesting in that time it could very well be a early-mid 90s type scenario again. Browns and Indians looking for new Stadiums. Absolutely nothing wrong with First energy it is as modern as any stadium out there.
Team's leases end well before that time.
We'll see how many years the Browns and Indians want to stay where they are, regardless of how many years we all think the stadiums have. If the Dolans sell the Indians, I'd almost guarantee the new owners will start clamoring for a new stadium, the same way the Haslams are slowly hinting that they want an upgrade over First Energy.
-
I think it's a pipe dream too...
Someday the Browns will be playing in a retractable dome. I have a feeling if the Haslams are around for the long term, they'll demand an upgrade.
I still think the next ballpark the Indians play in won't be in Cleveland.
The Jake... Prog...has at least 20-25 years left.
it will be interesting in that time it could very well be a early-mid 90s type scenario again. Browns and Indians looking for new Stadiums. Absolutely nothing wrong with First energy it is as modern as any stadium out there.
The Jake... Prog...has at least 20-25 years left.
it will be interesting in that time it could very well be a early-mid 90s type scenario again. Browns and Indians looking for new Stadiums. Absolutely nothing wrong with First energy it is as modern as any stadium out there.
I'll add my two cents about First Energy here.
First about putting a dome on it. Can't and won't happen. Structurally wasn't built for one. Putting a bubble over it has already been suggested. Retrofitting it with the requisite HVAC would be a nightmare. If you want a dome, more efficient to start from scratch, and the going rate seems to be around $2 billion to go that route.
As to there being "nothing wrong" with it, I'll disagree. My Bucket List is to see the Browns play in every NFL venue, and I'm about 1\2 way there. When the stadium was built, the goal was to replicate the "feel" of the old place as closely as possible. Bad idea. The concourse behind the stands is woefully cramped (sardine city) compared to almost all of the other stadiums. Paul Brown in Cincinnati has at least triple if not four times the space. I was really hoping when Jimmy poured millions into the stadium renovation, he'd address the shortcomings, but it didn't happen. BTW, when planning for the stadium originally came out, the fan opinion was overwhelming "no dome".
FWIW, by my count, there's 15 teams with the potential of a cold weather game, and three domes. Tells me all I need to know. Apparently there's a lot of wimps afraid of getting their toes cold.
-
Did you not get the memo on immature name-calling, Tour? ?
The original post is still standing, apparently that stand is on a case-by-case situation.
Hardly name calling Dutch. Tour was expressing his personal opinion (which happens to be different) than yours.
There's ways to disagree without resorting to calling someone a racist bigot.
Your feelings hurt because I'm tired of you and Gorka calling each other names? FWIW, I wound up wasting a lot of time deleting what amounted to roughly 30% of the Garrett thread that was just off topic personal insult bullshit.
Hardly name calling Dutch. Tour was expressing his personal opinion (which happens to be different) than yours.
There's ways to disagree without resorting to calling someone a racist bigot.
Your feelings hurt because I'm tired of you and Gorka calling each other names? FWIW, I wound up wasting a lot of time deleting what amounted to roughly 30% of the Garrett thread that was just off topic personal insult bullshit.
Sweet Jesus, my post could not have flown any higher over your head if it was flying first class in a 747.
-
The Jake... Prog...has at least 20-25 years left.
it will be interesting in that time it could very well be a early-mid 90s type scenario again. Browns and Indians looking for new Stadiums. Absolutely nothing wrong with First energy it is as modern as any stadium out there.
I'll add my two cents about First Energy here.
First about putting a dome on it. Can't and won't happen. Structurally wasn't built for one. Putting a bubble over it has already been suggested. Retrofitting it with the requisite HVAC would be a nightmare. If you want a dome, more efficient to start from scratch, and the going rate seems to be around $2 billion to go that route.
As to there being "nothing wrong" with it, I'll disagree. My Bucket List is to see the Browns play in every NFL venue, and I'm about 1\2 way there. When the stadium was built, the goal was to replicate the "feel" of the old place as closely as possible. Bad idea. The concourse behind the stands is woefully cramped (sardine city) compared to almost all of the other stadiums. Paul Brown in Cincinnati has at least triple if not four times the space. I was really hoping when Jimmy poured millions into the stadium renovation, he'd address the shortcomings, but it didn't happen. BTW, when planning for the stadium originally came out, the fan opinion was overwhelming "no dome".
FWIW, by my count, there's 15 teams with the potential of a cold weather game, and three domes. Tells me all I need to know. Apparently there's a lot of wimps afraid of getting their toes cold.
I'll add my two cents about First Energy here.
First about putting a dome on it. Can't and won't happen. Structurally wasn't built for one. Putting a bubble over it has already been suggested. Retrofitting it with the requisite HVAC would be a nightmare. If you want a dome, more efficient to start from scratch, and the going rate seems to be around $2 billion to go that route.
As to there being "nothing wrong" with it, I'll disagree. My Bucket List is to see the Browns play in every NFL venue, and I'm about 1\2 way there. When the stadium was built, the goal was to replicate the "feel" of the old place as closely as possible. Bad idea. The concourse behind the stands is woefully cramped (sardine city) compared to almost all of the other stadiums. Paul Brown in Cincinnati has at least triple if not four times the space. I was really hoping when Jimmy poured millions into the stadium renovation, he'd address the shortcomings, but it didn't happen. BTW, when planning for the stadium originally came out, the fan opinion was overwhelming "no dome".
FWIW, by my count, there's 15 teams with the potential of a cold weather game, and three domes. Tells me all I need to know. Apparently there's a lot of wimps afraid of getting their toes cold.
Just out of curiosity Larry, I would like to see that list of all the stadiums you have attended. ( I know you have been to Titans/Texans of course as I was with you for those).
I know you are talking about Dallas this year. I assume that is one you have not been to. And it is my understanding, if there is to be a "Browns Board" away game tailgate, Dallas is the likely target. Depending on the scheduling, there is a very slim chance I could do that....big maybe. (again would look to maybe meet up with my daughter....and at that point he will be my son-in-law in Dallas.
-
The Jake... Prog...has at least 20-25 years left.
it will be interesting in that time it could very well be a early-mid 90s type scenario again. Browns and Indians looking for new Stadiums. Absolutely nothing wrong with First energy it is as modern as any stadium out there.
Team's leases end well before that time.
We'll see how many years the Browns and Indians want to stay where they are, regardless of how many years we all think the stadiums have. If the Dolans sell the Indians, I'd almost guarantee the new owners will start clamoring for a new stadium, the same way the Haslams are slowly hinting that they want an upgrade over First Energy.
Team's leases end well before that time.
We'll see how many years the Browns and Indians want to stay where they are, regardless of how many years we all think the stadiums have. If the Dolans sell the Indians, I'd almost guarantee the new owners will start clamoring for a new stadium, the same way the Haslams are slowly hinting that they want an upgrade over First Energy.
With each ownership change in any sport or city come new questions.
Do the new owners pledge loyalty to the existing cities to get the team in the first place or are there "loftier goals" for the franchise ? Ad then there are attendance and profitability issues along with the other 31 owners in NFL Inc. all very wealthy business people who do have some say in moving franchises.
And the larger question: have the NFL Cleveland Browns v2.0 been a success or not and could they be moved when other issues like leases are settled. Scary thought.
The Cleveland Indians have been more successful in every decade since the 1990s and have an adequate remodeled and downsized stadium.
After all this isn't a movie like Major League now it it ? Or maybe a BROWNS remake ?

-
Football indoors sucks, especially for Browns fans used to football being played in the mud and snow.
But financially there is nothing more idiotic than building an astronomically expensive building that gets used 12 or so times a year, especially when it sits on prime real estate.
Football indoors sucks, especially for Browns fans used to football being played in the mud and snow.
But financially there is nothing more idiotic than building an astronomically expensive building that gets used 12 or so times a year, especially when it sits on prime real estate.
I used to hate indoor football back when it was my dad's era of being a fan. Unfortunately, since it's become a passing league - here's what's been won in the Great Lakes regions while Cleveland never makes post seasons any more:
1 SB Championship in Chicago - although 85 was way before they made rules babying/favoring passers.
2 SB Championships in GB compared to how many they won in the 60s. The 1 SB they won with Aaron Rodgers as a Wild Card team that had to win 3 road games (inclusive of beating Atlanta in a dome) before beating the Cutler-less Bears in Chicago for the NFC Championship.
0 SBs in Detroit or as Lumberg used to call it "Detroilet"
0 Superbowls in Cleveland after being the last team to win the NFL Championship in 1964 before the name of it was changed to Superbowl the next year. If I'm off by a year Gipper will let me know...
0 Superbowl Ws for Minnesota
0 Superbowl Ws in Buffalo
0 Superbowl Ws for Cincy even though they're not on a Great Lake per say
-
Football indoors sucks, especially for Browns fans used to football being played in the mud and snow.
But financially there is nothing more idiotic than building an astronomically expensive building that gets used 12 or so times a year, especially when it sits on prime real estate.
I used to hate indoor football back when it was my dad's era of being a fan. Unfortunately, since it's become a passing league - here's what's been won in the Great Lakes regions while Cleveland never makes post seasons any more:
1 SB Championship in Chicago - although 85 was way before they made rules babying/favoring passers.
2 SB Championships in GB compared to how many they won in the 60s. The 1 SB they won with Aaron Rodgers as a Wild Card team that had to win 3 road games (inclusive of beating Atlanta in a dome) before beating the Cutler-less Bears in Chicago for the NFC Championship.
0 SBs in Detroit or as Lumberg used to call it "Detroilet"
0 Superbowls in Cleveland after being the last team to win the NFL Championship in 1964 before the name of it was changed to Superbowl the next year. If I'm off by a year Gipper will let me know...
0 Superbowl Ws for Minnesota
0 Superbowl Ws in Buffalo
0 Superbowl Ws for Cincy even though they're not on a Great Lake per say
I used to hate indoor football back when it was my dad's era of being a fan. Unfortunately, since it's become a passing league - here's what's been won in the Great Lakes regions while Cleveland never makes post seasons any more:
1 SB Championship in Chicago - although 85 was way before they made rules babying/favoring passers.
2 SB Championships in GB compared to how many they won in the 60s. The 1 SB they won with Aaron Rodgers as a Wild Card team that had to win 3 road games (inclusive of beating Atlanta in a dome) before beating the Cutler-less Bears in Chicago for the NFC Championship.
0 SBs in Detroit or as Lumberg used to call it "Detroilet"
0 Superbowls in Cleveland after being the last team to win the NFL Championship in 1964 before the name of it was changed to Superbowl the next year. If I'm off by a year Gipper will let me know...
0 Superbowl Ws for Minnesota
0 Superbowl Ws in Buffalo
0 Superbowl Ws for Cincy even though they're not on a Great Lake per say
Interesting... Like I've said before, I prefer cold weather football outdoors.
But I also understand that the city of Cleveland is possibly missing out on a lot of events - events that for example cold weather cities like Indianapolis or Minneapolis get - because they don't have a retractable dome football stadium.
Plus, it's about time Cleveland does something with their lakefront.
-
Football indoors sucks, especially for Browns fans used to football being played in the mud and snow.
But financially there is nothing more idiotic than building an astronomically expensive building that gets used 12 or so times a year, especially when it sits on prime real estate.
I used to hate indoor football back when it was my dad's era of being a fan. Unfortunately, since it's become a passing league - here's what's been won in the Great Lakes regions while Cleveland never makes post seasons any more:
1 SB Championship in Chicago - although 85 was way before they made rules babying/favoring passers.
2 SB Championships in GB compared to how many they won in the 60s. The 1 SB they won with Aaron Rodgers as a Wild Card team that had to win 3 road games (inclusive of beating Atlanta in a dome) before beating the Cutler-less Bears in Chicago for the NFC Championship.
0 SBs in Detroit or as Lumberg used to call it "Detroilet"
0 Superbowls in Cleveland after being the last team to win the NFL Championship in 1964 before the name of it was changed to Superbowl the next year. If I'm off by a year Gipper will let me know...
0 Superbowl Ws for Minnesota
0 Superbowl Ws in Buffalo
0 Superbowl Ws for Cincy even though they're not on a Great Lake per say
I used to hate indoor football back when it was my dad's era of being a fan. Unfortunately, since it's become a passing league - here's what's been won in the Great Lakes regions while Cleveland never makes post seasons any more:
1 SB Championship in Chicago - although 85 was way before they made rules babying/favoring passers.
2 SB Championships in GB compared to how many they won in the 60s. The 1 SB they won with Aaron Rodgers as a Wild Card team that had to win 3 road games (inclusive of beating Atlanta in a dome) before beating the Cutler-less Bears in Chicago for the NFC Championship.
0 SBs in Detroit or as Lumberg used to call it "Detroilet"
0 Superbowls in Cleveland after being the last team to win the NFL Championship in 1964 before the name of it was changed to Superbowl the next year. If I'm off by a year Gipper will let me know... apparently you knew that...or suspected it yourself, as yes, off by a year. Browns/Packers played last NFL title game in 1965, prior to the onset of the NFL/AFL Championship game....ltbka...The Super Bowl. Packers beat Cowboys in Dallas for the right to go to SB 1. That was not the "Ice Bowl"....that came a year later.
0 Superbowl Ws for Minnesota
0 Superbowl Ws in Buffalo
0 Superbowl Ws for Cincy even though they're not on a Great Lake per say.
See my "Curse of Lake Erie" thread.
-
I used to hate indoor football back when it was my dad's era of being a fan. Unfortunately, since it's become a passing league - here's what's been won in the Great Lakes regions while Cleveland never makes post seasons any more:
1 SB Championship in Chicago - although 85 was way before they made rules babying/favoring passers.
2 SB Championships in GB compared to how many they won in the 60s. The 1 SB they won with Aaron Rodgers as a Wild Card team that had to win 3 road games (inclusive of beating Atlanta in a dome) before beating the Cutler-less Bears in Chicago for the NFC Championship.
0 SBs in Detroit or as Lumberg used to call it "Detroilet"
0 Superbowls in Cleveland after being the last team to win the NFL Championship in 1964 before the name of it was changed to Superbowl the next year. If I'm off by a year Gipper will let me know...
0 Superbowl Ws for Minnesota
0 Superbowl Ws in Buffalo
0 Superbowl Ws for Cincy even though they're not on a Great Lake per say
Interesting... Like I've said before, I prefer cold weather football outdoors.
But I also understand that the city of Cleveland is possibly missing out on a lot of events - events that for example cold weather cities like Indianapolis or Minneapolis get - because they don't have a retractable dome football stadium.
Plus, it's about time Cleveland does something with their lakefront.
Interesting... Like I've said before, I prefer cold weather football outdoors.
But I also understand that the city of Cleveland is possibly missing out on a lot of events - events that for example cold weather cities like Indianapolis or Minneapolis get - because they don't have a retractable dome football stadium.
Plus, it's about time Cleveland does something with their lakefront.
And those cities and teams are more the "my dad's or granddad's" favorite old teams very much like Cleveland. Somewhat similar to the B10 vs SEC in college.
They were great once upon a time.
This isn't the Bud Grant era of let's go out and freeze our butts off and play or watch a game. This newer generation wants comfy seats and wifi hookups.
Forward thinking time ?
-
Interesting... Like I've said before, I prefer cold weather football outdoors.
But I also understand that the city of Cleveland is possibly missing out on a lot of events - events that for example cold weather cities like Indianapolis or Minneapolis get - because they don't have a retractable dome football stadium.
Plus, it's about time Cleveland does something with their lakefront.
And those cities and teams are more the "my dad's or granddad's" favorite old teams very much like Cleveland. Somewhat similar to the B10 vs SEC in college.
They were great once upon a time.
This isn't the Bud Grant era of let's go out and freeze our butts off and play or watch a game. This newer generation wants comfy seats and wifi hookups.
Forward thinking time ?
And those cities and teams are more the "my dad's or granddad's" favorite old teams very much like Cleveland. Somewhat similar to the B10 vs SEC in college.
They were great once upon a time.
This isn't the Bud Grant era of let's go out and freeze our butts off and play or watch a game. This newer generation wants comfy seats and wifi hookups.
Forward thinking time ?
In a perfect world, I would want the Browns in a retractable dome that is always open on Browns gamedays, but has the ability to close so it could host the Super Bowl, Final Four, etc...
I know there isn't a chance in hell that would happen though, but that would be my ultimate "win-win" scenario.
-
I'll add my two cents about First Energy here.
First about putting a dome on it. Can't and won't happen. Structurally wasn't built for one. Putting a bubble over it has already been suggested. Retrofitting it with the requisite HVAC would be a nightmare. If you want a dome, more efficient to start from scratch, and the going rate seems to be around $2 billion to go that route.
As to there being "nothing wrong" with it, I'll disagree. My Bucket List is to see the Browns play in every NFL venue, and I'm about 1\2 way there. When the stadium was built, the goal was to replicate the "feel" of the old place as closely as possible. Bad idea. The concourse behind the stands is woefully cramped (sardine city) compared to almost all of the other stadiums. Paul Brown in Cincinnati has at least triple if not four times the space. I was really hoping when Jimmy poured millions into the stadium renovation, he'd address the shortcomings, but it didn't happen. BTW, when planning for the stadium originally came out, the fan opinion was overwhelming "no dome".
FWIW, by my count, there's 15 teams with the potential of a cold weather game, and three domes. Tells me all I need to know. Apparently there's a lot of wimps afraid of getting their toes cold.
Just out of curiosity Larry, I would like to see that list of all the stadiums you have attended. ( I know you have been to Titans/Texans of course as I was with you for those).
I know you are talking about Dallas this year. I assume that is one you have not been to. And it is my understanding, if there is to be a "Browns Board" away game tailgate, Dallas is the likely target. Depending on the scheduling, there is a very slim chance I could do that....big maybe. (again would look to maybe meet up with my daughter....and at that point he will be my son-in-law in Dallas.
Just out of curiosity Larry, I would like to see that list of all the stadiums you have attended. ( I know you have been to Titans/Texans of course as I was with you for those).
I know you are talking about Dallas this year. I assume that is one you have not been to. And it is my understanding, if there is to be a "Browns Board" away game tailgate, Dallas is the likely target. Depending on the scheduling, there is a very slim chance I could do that....big maybe. (again would look to maybe meet up with my daughter....and at that point he will be my son-in-law in Dallas.
Since you asked- Cincinnati (many times), Lions (many times, both old Silverdome and Ford Field), Texans (twice), Colts (before and after Lucas Oil- and if you want my opinion, it's the best of the Domes I've been to), Chiefs- X3, and for those who say an NFL stadium is obsolete after 15 years- Arrowhead has been hosting games since 1972, and it's my favorite outdoor stadium. Rams St. Louis in the Edward Jones Dome. Dolphins, Patriots, Buccaneers, Titans.
Blew a lot of opportunities last year. Jets, Broncos, and Cardinals. You probably know I had Arizona on the schedule until the Browns started playing so poorly I cancelled the idea, and I'm glad I didn't waste my money going.
This year the possibilities are Dallas, Jaguars (would they move the Browns game to London? Not outside the realm of possibility), Giants\ Jets. My thinking is if I hit a stadium with two teams, it counts for both. I'll only make one trip to LA. High on my eventual priority list are the Bears, Bills, Packers, and the away Steelers and Ravens. Probably go incognito to the last two. And I've heard Eagles fans are brutal to opposing fans.
BTW- curious question to those who say First Energy is a waste of Lakefront property- if you tear it down, what's your plan to replace it with that makes it more valuable? Yeah, when the plans for Gateway came out- Modell shot himself in the foot not buying into the idea- but he thought he could go it alone when his cash cow Indians bolted to Jacobs Field. We paid dearly for his mistake.
And those cities and teams are more the "my dad's or granddad's" favorite old teams very much like Cleveland. Somewhat similar to the B10 vs SEC in college.
They were great once upon a time.
This isn't the Bud Grant era of let's go out and freeze our butts off and play or watch a game. This newer generation wants comfy seats and wifi hookups.
Forward thinking time ?
Part of that is the ever escalating price of decent seats. Cowboy's 100 level are $300 bucks each. And the millennials are more interested in checking how their fantasy team is doing checking on their phones than actually watching the game. Hence the obnoxious IT'S THIRD DOWN!!!! To get the short attention spans back to the game.... Oh well, New England has their fog horn....
-
Football indoors sucks, especially for Browns fans used to football being played in the mud and snow.
But financially there is nothing more idiotic than building an astronomically expensive building that gets used 12 or so times a year, especially when it sits on prime real estate.
I used to hate indoor football back when it was my dad's era of being a fan. Unfortunately, since it's become a passing league - here's what's been won in the Great Lakes regions while Cleveland never makes post seasons any more:
1 SB Championship in Chicago - although 85 was way before they made rules babying/favoring passers.
2 SB Championships in GB compared to how many they won in the 60s. The 1 SB they won with Aaron Rodgers as a Wild Card team that had to win 3 road games (inclusive of beating Atlanta in a dome) before beating the Cutler-less Bears in Chicago for the NFC Championship.
0 SBs in Detroit or as Lumberg used to call it "Detroilet"
0 Superbowls in Cleveland after being the last team to win the NFL Championship in 1964 before the name of it was changed to Superbowl the next year. If I'm off by a year Gipper will let me know...
0 Superbowl Ws for Minnesota
0 Superbowl Ws in Buffalo
0 Superbowl Ws for Cincy even though they're not on a Great Lake per say
I used to hate indoor football back when it was my dad's era of being a fan. Unfortunately, since it's become a passing league - here's what's been won in the Great Lakes regions while Cleveland never makes post seasons any more:
1 SB Championship in Chicago - although 85 was way before they made rules babying/favoring passers.
2 SB Championships in GB compared to how many they won in the 60s. The 1 SB they won with Aaron Rodgers as a Wild Card team that had to win 3 road games (inclusive of beating Atlanta in a dome) before beating the Cutler-less Bears in Chicago for the NFC Championship.
0 SBs in Detroit or as Lumberg used to call it "Detroilet"
0 Superbowls in Cleveland after being the last team to win the NFL Championship in 1964 before the name of it was changed to Superbowl the next year. If I'm off by a year Gipper will let me know...
0 Superbowl Ws for Minnesota
0 Superbowl Ws in Buffalo
0 Superbowl Ws for Cincy even though they're not on a Great Lake per say
And you forgot how many for the Patriots? I'll count New York as a semi- cold weather site too, so add the Giants and Jets in there for wins.
The Vikes and Bills at least made the big game, and if not for a shanked Scott Norwood game winner the Bills would have a Ring.
-
Just out of curiosity Larry, I would like to see that list of all the stadiums you have attended. ( I know you have been to Titans/Texans of course as I was with you for those).
I know you are talking about Dallas this year. I assume that is one you have not been to. And it is my understanding, if there is to be a "Browns Board" away game tailgate, Dallas is the likely target. Depending on the scheduling, there is a very slim chance I could do that....big maybe. (again would look to maybe meet up with my daughter....and at that point he will be my son-in-law in Dallas.
Since you asked- Cincinnati (many times), Lions (many times, both old Silverdome and Ford Field), Texans (twice), Colts (before and after Lucas Oil- and if you want my opinion, it's the best of the Domes I've been to), Chiefs- X3, and for those who say an NFL stadium is obsolete after 15 years- Arrowhead has been hosting games since 1972, and it's my favorite outdoor stadium. Rams St. Louis in the Edward Jones Dome. Dolphins, Patriots, Buccaneers, Titans.
Blew a lot of opportunities last year. Jets, Broncos, and Cardinals. You probably know I had Arizona on the schedule until the Browns started playing so poorly I cancelled the idea, and I'm glad I didn't waste my money going.
This year the possibilities are Dallas, Jaguars (would they move the Browns game to London? Not outside the realm of possibility), Giants\ Jets. My thinking is if I hit a stadium with two teams, it counts for both. I'll only make one trip to LA. High on my eventual priority list are the Bears, Bills, Packers, and the away Steelers and Ravens. Probably go incognito to the last two. And I've heard Eagles fans are brutal to opposing fans.
BTW- curious question to those who say First Energy is a waste of Lakefront property- if you tear it down, what's your plan to replace it with that makes it more valuable? Yeah, when the plans for Gateway came out- Modell shot himself in the foot not buying into the idea- but he thought he could go it alone when his cash cow Indians bolted to Jacobs Field. We paid dearly for his mistake.
And those cities and teams are more the "my dad's or granddad's" favorite old teams very much like Cleveland. Somewhat similar to the B10 vs SEC in college.
They were great once upon a time.
This isn't the Bud Grant era of let's go out and freeze our butts off and play or watch a game. This newer generation wants comfy seats and wifi hookups.
Forward thinking time ?
Part of that is the ever escalating price of decent seats. Cowboy's 100 level are $300 bucks each. And the millennials are more interested in checking how their fantasy team is doing checking on their phones than actually watching the game. Hence the obnoxious IT'S THIRD DOWN!!!! To get the short attention spans back to the game.... Oh well, New England has their fog horn....
BTW- curious question to those who say First Energy is a waste of Lakefront property- if you tear it down, what's your plan to replace it with that makes it more valuable?
Have you ever been to Chicago? Milwaukee?
Two midwestern cities with a vibrant lakefront scene. Cleveland, on the other hand, has a ton of its downtown lakefront property wasted on a football stadium used a dozen times a year and an airport that almost no one benefits from.
This isn't a newsflash that Cleveland has always squandered its greatest asset.
-
Can’t they do that outdoors
Oh yea, it's just unrealistic to do it in frozen cities. The SX season starts the 1st Saturday in Jan and runs through the 1st week in May....... Hardly great weather for fans to suffer through in cold weather cites with no lid.
-
BTW- curious question to those who say First Energy is a waste of Lakefront property- if you tear it down, what's your plan to replace it with that makes it more valuable?
Have you ever been to Chicago? Milwaukee?
Two midwestern cities with a vibrant lakefront scene. Cleveland, on the other hand, has a ton of its downtown lakefront property wasted on a football stadium used a dozen times a year and an airport that almost no one benefits from.
This isn't a newsflash that Cleveland has always squandered its greatest asset.
Have you ever been to Chicago? Milwaukee?
Two midwestern cities with a vibrant lakefront scene. Cleveland, on the other hand, has a ton of its downtown lakefront property wasted on a football stadium used a dozen times a year and an airport that almost no one benefits from.
This isn't a newsflash that Cleveland has always squandered its greatest asset.
Yes, I've been to Chicago a bunch of times- and stayed downtown a week for a convention. DUH!!! And what's right on the lakefront in Chicago? Soldier Field. Sorry, but comparing Chicago to Cleveland is more than a little unfair.
And you didn't answer the question- what's your idea to put in place of the stadium? An Aquarium, Planetarium, or a Park like Chicago? Really???? Sounds like bellyaching just for the sake of bellyaching....
-
Have you ever been to Chicago? Milwaukee?
Two midwestern cities with a vibrant lakefront scene. Cleveland, on the other hand, has a ton of its downtown lakefront property wasted on a football stadium used a dozen times a year and an airport that almost no one benefits from.
This isn't a newsflash that Cleveland has always squandered its greatest asset.
Yes, I've been to Chicago a bunch of times- and stayed downtown a week for a convention. DUH!!! And what's right on the lakefront in Chicago? Soldier Field. Sorry, but comparing Chicago to Cleveland is more than a little unfair.
And you didn't answer the question- what's your idea to put in place of the stadium? An Aquarium, Planetarium, or a Park like Chicago? Really???? Sounds like bellyaching just for the sake of bellyaching....
Yes, I've been to Chicago a bunch of times- and stayed downtown a week for a convention. DUH!!! And what's right on the lakefront in Chicago? Soldier Field. Sorry, but comparing Chicago to Cleveland is more than a little unfair.
And you didn't answer the question- what's your idea to put in place of the stadium? An Aquarium, Planetarium, or a Park like Chicago? Really????
I'm sorry, Cleveland's lakefront is perfect the way it is.
I should have never debated the point with someone who would know so much about vibrant urban areas, since you do live in Dayton, Ohio.
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login