Skip to content

Mock Drafts Thread

The Browns Board
117 18 3.9k
  • Apparently stupid is not limited to FA articles today.

    Here's a CBS mock that not only has us trading up, but trading up for Mehki Belton because... "Given Becton's insane athleticism at his size at the left tackle spot, he's a perfect fit in Kevin Stefanski's zone-blocking run scheme..."

    Then they add to the stupid by claiming it's only cost us a 4th rounder to move up from 10 to 8...

    https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/news/2020-nfl-mock-draft-packers-take-combine-star-patriots-land-small-school-sleeper-browns-trade-up/

    I ain't gonna make it thru this offseason...

  • Apparently stupid is not limited to FA articles today.

    Here's a CBS mock that not only has us trading up, but trading up for Mehki Belton because... "Given Becton's insane athleticism at his size at the left tackle spot, he's a perfect fit in Kevin Stefanski's zone-blocking run scheme..."

    Then they add to the stupid by claiming it's only cost us a 4th rounder to move up from 10 to 8...

    https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/news/2020-nfl-mock-draft-packers-take-combine-star-patriots-land-small-school-sleeper-browns-trade-up/

    I ain't gonna make it thru this offseason...

    @tour2ma said:

    Apparently stupid is not limited to FA articles today.

    Here's a CBS mock that not only has us trading up, but trading up for Mehki Belton because... "Given Becton's insane athleticism at his size at the left tackle spot, he's a perfect fit in Kevin Stefanski's zone-blocking run scheme..."

    Then they add to the stupid by claiming it's only cost us a 4th rounder to move up from 10 to 8...

    https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/news/2020-nfl-mock-draft-packers-take-combine-star-patriots-land-small-school-sleeper-browns-trade-up/

    I ain't gonna make it thru this offseason...

    I was about to propose something similar. I didnt like Becton because i was going off memory of how horrible the Louisville offensive line used to be. I went and compared his tape to the top guys and he is on a different level. I dont think any of the other guys are worthy of top 10 pick but Becton could be a generational talent. In reality he doesnt make it out of the top 5

  • @tour2ma said:

    Apparently stupid is not limited to FA articles today.

    Here's a CBS mock that not only has us trading up, but trading up for Mehki Belton because... "Given Becton's insane athleticism at his size at the left tackle spot, he's a perfect fit in Kevin Stefanski's zone-blocking run scheme..."

    Then they add to the stupid by claiming it's only cost us a 4th rounder to move up from 10 to 8...

    https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/news/2020-nfl-mock-draft-packers-take-combine-star-patriots-land-small-school-sleeper-browns-trade-up/

    I ain't gonna make it thru this offseason...

    I was about to propose something similar. I didnt like Becton because i was going off memory of how horrible the Louisville offensive line used to be. I went and compared his tape to the top guys and he is on a different level. I dont think any of the other guys are worthy of top 10 pick but Becton could be a generational talent. In reality he doesnt make it out of the top 5

    @louisville-slugger said:

    I was about to propose something similar. I didnt like Becton because i was going off memory of how horrible the Louisville offensive line used to be. I went and compared his tape to the top guys and he is on a different level. I dont think any of the other guys are worthy of top 10 pick but Becton could be a generational talent. In reality he doesnt make it out of the top 5

    I don't think what Tour was "proposing" would be praise of Becton. 

    And having just wrapped up watching him vs Clemson this past season, I'm inclined to agree being very underwhelmed at times by what I saw.

    Dear God, the amount of waist bending....

  • I think Louisville Slugger sees something I don't.

    What game(s) did you look at LS? If different than those I looked at, then I'm willing to take another look.

    Meanwhile report is out that LAC is trading Okung to CAR for OG Trai Turner so would appear that LAC has an OT in mind at #6 overall.

  • I think Louisville Slugger sees something I don't.

    What game(s) did you look at LS? If different than those I looked at, then I'm willing to take another look.

    Meanwhile report is out that LAC is trading Okung to CAR for OG Trai Turner so would appear that LAC has an OT in mind at #6 overall.

    @tour2ma said:

    I think Louisville Slugger sees something I don't.

    What game(s) did you look at LS? If different than those I looked at, then I'm willing to take another look.

    Meanwhile report is out that LAC is trading Okung to CAR for OG Trai Turner so would appear that LAC has an OT in mind at #6 overall.

    Interesting. So who do they plan on at QB? Brady? Tyrod Taylor??

  • @tour2ma said:

    I think Louisville Slugger sees something I don't.

    What game(s) did you look at LS? If different than those I looked at, then I'm willing to take another look.

    Meanwhile report is out that LAC is trading Okung to CAR for OG Trai Turner so would appear that LAC has an OT in mind at #6 overall.

    Interesting. So who do they plan on at QB? Brady? Tyrod Taylor??

    @texasag1969 said:

    Interesting. So who do they plan on at QB? Brady? Tyrod Taylor??

    Bridgewater. 

  • @louisville-slugger said:

    I was about to propose something similar. I didnt like Becton because i was going off memory of how horrible the Louisville offensive line used to be. I went and compared his tape to the top guys and he is on a different level. I dont think any of the other guys are worthy of top 10 pick but Becton could be a generational talent. In reality he doesnt make it out of the top 5

    I don't think what Tour was "proposing" would be praise of Becton. 

    And having just wrapped up watching him vs Clemson this past season, I'm inclined to agree being very underwhelmed at times by what I saw.

    Dear God, the amount of waist bending....

    @tiamat63 said:

    I don't think what Tour was "proposing" would be praise of Becton. 

    And having just wrapped up watching him vs Clemson this past season, I'm inclined to agree being very underwhelmed at times by what I saw.

    Dear God, the amount of waist bending....

    He needs to get lower in pass blocking and slow down when getting to the 2and level, but that's pretty easy to fix with a coach like Callahan. His run blocking is devastating and his feet are good in pass pro.

    Wills has heavy feet. Hes probably going to be a OG.

    Thomas mirrors well but looks weak/soft.

    Wirfs is a good RT prospect but I want a LT if it a top 10 pick.

    It's still early my opinion might change but that's what I'm seeing

  • @tiamat63 said:

    I don't think what Tour was "proposing" would be praise of Becton. 

    And having just wrapped up watching him vs Clemson this past season, I'm inclined to agree being very underwhelmed at times by what I saw.

    Dear God, the amount of waist bending....

    He needs to get lower in pass blocking and slow down when getting to the 2and level, but that's pretty easy to fix with a coach like Callahan. His run blocking is devastating and his feet are good in pass pro.

    Wills has heavy feet. Hes probably going to be a OG.

    Thomas mirrors well but looks weak/soft.

    Wirfs is a good RT prospect but I want a LT if it a top 10 pick.

    It's still early my opinion might change but that's what I'm seeing

    @louisville-slugger said:

    He needs to get lower in pass blocking and slow down when getting to the 2and level, but that's pretty easy to fix with a coach like Callahan. His run blocking is devastating and his feet are good in pass pro.

    Wills has heavy feet. Hes probably going to be a OG.

    Thomas mirrors well but looks weak/soft.

    Wirfs is a good RT prospect but I want a LT if it a top 10 pick.

    It's still early my opinion might change but that's what I'm seeing

    We'll have to just disagree on Wills and Thomas then.

    I still have more to watch on Becton. 

  • @texasag1969 said:

    Interesting. So who do they plan on at QB? Brady? Tyrod Taylor??

    Bridgewater. 

    @the-gipper said:

    Bridgewater. 

    Tampa Bay looks like a contender there.

    https://sports.yahoo.com/buccaneers-hot-teddy-bridgewater-020844977.html

  • @texasag1969 said:

    Tampa Bay looks like a contender there.

    https://sports.yahoo.com/buccaneers-hot-teddy-bridgewater-020844977.html

    I guess just another rumor, much like everything with FA season......which in my opinion should have already started, like yesterday. 

  • I think Louisville Slugger sees something I don't.

    What game(s) did you look at LS? If different than those I looked at, then I'm willing to take another look.

    Meanwhile report is out that LAC is trading Okung to CAR for OG Trai Turner so would appear that LAC has an OT in mind at #6 overall.

    @tour2ma said:

    I think Louisville Slugger sees something I don't.

    What game(s) did you look at LS? If different than those I looked at, then I'm willing to take another look.

    Meanwhile report is out that LAC is trading Okung to CAR for OG Trai Turner so would appear that LAC has an OT in mind at #6 overall.

    I watched the Clemson tape. There were a handful of bad snaps. He got too high and pushed into the QB twice. No sack but it looks bad. He completely whiffed on a cut block. He over perused a linebacker. Other than that he dominated his man on every snap. 

    I've only watched 1 game of each of these guys so things could change, but Becton is way ahead at this point

  • @tiamat63 said:

    I don't think what Tour was "proposing" would be praise of Becton. 

    And having just wrapped up watching him vs Clemson this past season, I'm inclined to agree being very underwhelmed at times by what I saw.

    Dear God, the amount of waist bending....

    He needs to get lower in pass blocking and slow down when getting to the 2and level, but that's pretty easy to fix with a coach like Callahan. His run blocking is devastating and his feet are good in pass pro.

    Wills has heavy feet. Hes probably going to be a OG.

    Thomas mirrors well but looks weak/soft.

    Wirfs is a good RT prospect but I want a LT if it a top 10 pick.

    It's still early my opinion might change but that's what I'm seeing

    @louisville-slugger said:

    He needs to get lower in pass blocking and slow down when getting to the 2and level, but that's pretty easy to fix with a coach like Callahan. His run blocking is devastating and his feet are good in pass pro.  it's partly about getting caught flat footed with his feet.(but, any man that size could). mostly it's his poor balance waste bend, while trying to out physical every line opponent.. Becton reminds me a lot of Utah's -50lb. less- Garrett Bolles at Denver.. Bolles found out, ya can't anchor spinning speed demons off the edge till he get's his as& down & bend locks at his knees..when Bolles got beat in 1st season. He had to anchor by holding flags due to playing to high out of his stance. Becton is 2" taller than Bolles, but your right it can be coached..Bolles showed it can be done by coaching.. Denver hires Pitts, former OL coach Mike Munchak and Bowles did improve technique wise last season.. Dalton Risner played well in 1st season, not getting the coaching that Bolles badly needed year one...  

    Wills has heavy feet. Hes probably going to be a OG.  but watch his feet, butt & knee bend in pass pro all aligned squaring off his opponents. has best hand location & punch of the group.it's why, scouts say he's the best tech ready of any tackle..

    Thomas mirrors well but looks weak/soft. can't agree w/weak-soft.. AT played 3 years & over 42 games in the SEC & gave up only 5 sacks...i have slim hopes a smart gm leaves Thomas on the board before we get #10...

    It's still early my opinion might change but that's what I'm seeing...  and Were not pro scouts that get paid to f' this up?...and they will   

  • @louisville-slugger said:

    He needs to get lower in pass blocking and slow down when getting to the 2and level, but that's pretty easy to fix with a coach like Callahan. His run blocking is devastating and his feet are good in pass pro.  it's partly about getting caught flat footed with his feet.(but, any man that size could). mostly it's his poor balance waste bend, while trying to out physical every line opponent.. Becton reminds me a lot of Utah's -50lb. less- Garrett Bolles at Denver.. Bolles found out, ya can't anchor spinning speed demons off the edge till he get's his as& down & bend locks at his knees..when Bolles got beat in 1st season. He had to anchor by holding flags due to playing to high out of his stance. Becton is 2" taller than Bolles, but your right it can be coached..Bolles showed it can be done by coaching.. Denver hires Pitts, former OL coach Mike Munchak and Bowles did improve technique wise last season.. Dalton Risner played well in 1st season, not getting the coaching that Bolles badly needed year one...  

    Wills has heavy feet. Hes probably going to be a OG.  but watch his feet, butt & knee bend in pass pro all aligned squaring off his opponents. has best hand location & punch of the group.it's why, scouts say he's the best tech ready of any tackle..

    Thomas mirrors well but looks weak/soft. can't agree w/weak-soft.. AT played 3 years & over 42 games in the SEC & gave up only 5 sacks...i have slim hopes a smart gm leaves Thomas on the board before we get #10...

    It's still early my opinion might change but that's what I'm seeing...  and Were not pro scouts that get paid to f' this up?...and they will   

    @gumby73 said:

    I dont think Becton gets caught flat footed it looks like he tries to bully people and use his size to shove defenders away. 

    I went back and watched Thomas and I have no idea where that assessment came from. Hes really good. I think hes our guy.

    I stand with my assessment on wills. Those choppy steps will get him wrecked at the next level. Really nice guard prospect 

  • At least you came around on Thomas... so we have that. 😉

    Really disagree on Becton... He's got balance issues and doesn't flow well enough to play in a ZBS. It's all too common of a problem with OTs over 6'5"... and his issues are compounded by his massive chest.... which he makes too available to pass rushers.

    I don't see heavy feet under Wills. He needs a kick step but then so does every OT in this class. Closest I've seen to one is the UConn kid. But chopping steps don't get OTs into trouble... hopping does. Joe Thomas chopped... but only after the prettiest kick step in the league was finished.

    Wirfs is the one I see moving inside.

    But with the news about pursuing Trent Williams and Jason Peters I have to wonder if we end up taking an OT at #10...

  • At least you came around on Thomas... so we have that. 😉

    Really disagree on Becton... He's got balance issues and doesn't flow well enough to play in a ZBS. It's all too common of a problem with OTs over 6'5"... and his issues are compounded by his massive chest.... which he makes too available to pass rushers.

    I don't see heavy feet under Wills. He needs a kick step but then so does every OT in this class. Closest I've seen to one is the UConn kid. But chopping steps don't get OTs into trouble... hopping does. Joe Thomas chopped... but only after the prettiest kick step in the league was finished.

    Wirfs is the one I see moving inside.

    But with the news about pursuing Trent Williams and Jason Peters I have to wonder if we end up taking an OT at #10...

    @tour2ma said:

    At least you came around on Thomas... so we have that. 😉

    Really disagree on Becton... He's got balance issues and doesn't flow well enough to play in a ZBS. It's all too common of a problem with OTs over 6'5"... and his issues are compounded by his massive chest.... which he makes too available to pass rushers.

    I don't see heavy feet under Wills. He needs a kick step but then so does every OT in this class. Closest I've seen to one is the UConn kid. But chopping steps don't get OTs into trouble... hopping does. Joe Thomas chopped... but only after the prettiest kick step in the league was finished.

    Wirfs is the one I see moving inside.

    But with the news about pursuing Trent Williams and Jason Peters I have to wonder if we end up taking an OT at #10...

    How do you feel about a FA LT and Wirfs as a RT or RG?

  • At least you came around on Thomas... so we have that. 😉

    Really disagree on Becton... He's got balance issues and doesn't flow well enough to play in a ZBS. It's all too common of a problem with OTs over 6'5"... and his issues are compounded by his massive chest.... which he makes too available to pass rushers.

    I don't see heavy feet under Wills. He needs a kick step but then so does every OT in this class. Closest I've seen to one is the UConn kid. But chopping steps don't get OTs into trouble... hopping does. Joe Thomas chopped... but only after the prettiest kick step in the league was finished.

    Wirfs is the one I see moving inside.

    But with the news about pursuing Trent Williams and Jason Peters I have to wonder if we end up taking an OT at #10...

    @tour2ma said:

    But with the news about pursuing Trent Williams and Jason Peters I have to wonder if we end up taking an OT at #10...

    very true. I can't imagine the trade giving up the #10 pick though, like mentioned in one article I read. Doesn't make sense to give up the #10 pick, only to have that team draft one of the top OT's on the board.?

  • @tour2ma said:

    At least you came around on Thomas... so we have that. 😉

    Really disagree on Becton... He's got balance issues and doesn't flow well enough to play in a ZBS. It's all too common of a problem with OTs over 6'5"... and his issues are compounded by his massive chest.... which he makes too available to pass rushers.

    I don't see heavy feet under Wills. He needs a kick step but then so does every OT in this class. Closest I've seen to one is the UConn kid. But chopping steps don't get OTs into trouble... hopping does. Joe Thomas chopped... but only after the prettiest kick step in the league was finished.

    Wirfs is the one I see moving inside.

    But with the news about pursuing Trent Williams and Jason Peters I have to wonder if we end up taking an OT at #10...

    How do you feel about a FA LT and Wirfs as a RT or RG?

    @texasag1969 said:

    How do you feel about a FA LT and Wirfs as a RT or RG?

    Dunno... I was disappointed in the tape I saw of him at OT and never thought about him as an OG, but with that as a fallback position... maybe. Still seems like a steep price to pay for an OG.

    PFF did an analysis of player performance vs. draft pick spent and the lowest impact position was OG.

  • @texasag1969 said:

    How do you feel about a FA LT and Wirfs as a RT or RG?

    Dunno... I was disappointed in the tape I saw of him at OT and never thought about him as an OG, but with that as a fallback position... maybe. Still seems like a steep price to pay for an OG.

    PFF did an analysis of player performance vs. draft pick spent and the lowest impact position was OG.

    @tour2ma said:

    PFF did an analysis of player performance vs. draft pick spent and the lowest impact position was OG.

    Damn! So Ghoolie was half right then!?

  • @tour2ma said:

    PFF did an analysis of player performance vs. draft pick spent and the lowest impact position was OG.

    Damn! So Ghoolie was half right then!?

    @texasag1969 said:

    Damn! So Ghoolie was half right then!?

    lol... also did analysis of Combine measurements as predictors of performance and one of top ones for OL and DL was "weight".

    Of course the kicker is that Combine invites aren't given out to just any "fat-ass". 🙂

  • @texasag1969 said:

    How do you feel about a FA LT and Wirfs as a RT or RG?

    Dunno... I was disappointed in the tape I saw of him at OT and never thought about him as an OG, but with that as a fallback position... maybe. Still seems like a steep price to pay for an OG.

    PFF did an analysis of player performance vs. draft pick spent and the lowest impact position was OG.

    @tour2ma said:

    Dunno... I was disappointed in the tape I saw of him at OT and never thought about him as an OG, but with that as a fallback position... maybe. Still seems like a steep price to pay for an OG.

    PFF did an analysis of player performance vs. draft pick spent and the lowest impact position was OG.

    I read a McManamon article a month or so ago where he basically interviewed a PFF type guy to look at our current roster with an analytical eye and he basically agreed that an OG isn’t the most impactful position to gain an edge and he thought we would be fine going forward with Teller.