Skip to content

Donovan Peoples-Jones

The Browns Board
316 27 7.9k 1
  • @unsympathetic said:

    Lots of thoughts on DPJ

    "The biggest concern with Peoples-Jones at the next level is how consistently he can beat press coverage and if he has enough quick-twitch qualities to be a consistent separator."

    This is what concerns me the most. You can teach a guy to run better routes and maybe show him some technical things to beat a press cover or to help him potentially get open. But if a guy can't fake out a defender I have never heard of that skill-set being taught so that he suddenly learns how to do it. If the quickness (as opposed to speed) and twitch isn't there it ain't going to grow on him.

    That isn't to say he won't be a good 3rd receiver. He reminds me in a way of Antonio Callaway. I thought Callaway's twitch and ability to get a step through deception was bad. But his speed was very good and, importantly, his quickness, was very good. I could be wrong but I don't see quickness in DP-J's route-running, and the analysis confirms this. But where he will be better than Callaway is his size and his ability to fight and come down with the ball, which is fantastic. So he will be a capable 3rd receiver, imo.

    Which brings up a question. Has anyone heard what the hell Higgins did that put him in 2 Browns' FO doghouses?

    U Unsympathetic wrote on last edited by

    @barry said:

    This is what concerns me the most. 

    If the quickness (as opposed to speed) and twitch isn't there it ain't going to grow on him.

    My favorite quote from his NFL.com draft profile:

    "Play speed is very gradual and non-threatening"

  • @barry said:

    This is what concerns me the most. 

    If the quickness (as opposed to speed) and twitch isn't there it ain't going to grow on him.

    My favorite quote from his NFL.com draft profile:

    "Play speed is very gradual and non-threatening"

    NeroN Nero wrote on last edited by

    @unsympathetic said:

    My favorite quote from his NFL.com draft profile:

    "Play speed is very gradual and non-threatening"

    Watching his highlights, to me he looks more like a long stride fast runner, than a sprinter. I mean, it looks like he has a nice top speed, but he doesn't reach it as fast as other players (and THAT is a threatening trait). 

  • @unsympathetic said:

    My favorite quote from his NFL.com draft profile:

    "Play speed is very gradual and non-threatening"

    Watching his highlights, to me he looks more like a long stride fast runner, than a sprinter. I mean, it looks like he has a nice top speed, but he doesn't reach it as fast as other players (and THAT is a threatening trait). 

    MLD WoodyM MLD Woody wrote on last edited by

    @nero said:

    Watching his highlights, to me he looks more like a long stride fast runner, than a sprinter. I mean, it looks like he has a nice top speed, but he doesn't reach it as fast as other players (and THAT is a threatening trait). 

    Which is interesting, given his broad and vert, you'd think he'd be pretty explosive. May be a route running technique thing. 

    I don't think he could have a better WR room to be in though with Jarvis and Odell (maybe one with Fitz haha)

  • @nero said:

    Watching his highlights, to me he looks more like a long stride fast runner, than a sprinter. I mean, it looks like he has a nice top speed, but he doesn't reach it as fast as other players (and THAT is a threatening trait). 

    Which is interesting, given his broad and vert, you'd think he'd be pretty explosive. May be a route running technique thing. 

    I don't think he could have a better WR room to be in though with Jarvis and Odell (maybe one with Fitz haha)

    NeroN Nero wrote on last edited by

    @mld-woody said:

    Which is interesting, given his broad and vert, you'd think he'd be pretty explosive. May be a route running technique thing. 

    I don't think he could have a better WR room to be in though with Jarvis and Odell (maybe one with Fitz haha)

    It is interesting, but maybe those skills are not corelated. Back to soccer, Messi in his prime I would say had one of the fastest 0 to 100 sprint in soccer, and height doesn't help but I wouldn't say he has the best broad and vert ever. 

    DPJ is now a Brown so let's hope he earns his spot and contributes. He definitely has a nice WR room to look up to and at the same time joining such a couple must instantly make you more humble on your skills lol. 

  • @mld-woody said:

    Which is interesting, given his broad and vert, you'd think he'd be pretty explosive. May be a route running technique thing. 

    I don't think he could have a better WR room to be in though with Jarvis and Odell (maybe one with Fitz haha)

    It is interesting, but maybe those skills are not corelated. Back to soccer, Messi in his prime I would say had one of the fastest 0 to 100 sprint in soccer, and height doesn't help but I wouldn't say he has the best broad and vert ever. 

    DPJ is now a Brown so let's hope he earns his spot and contributes. He definitely has a nice WR room to look up to and at the same time joining such a couple must instantly make you more humble on your skills lol. 

    MLD WoodyM MLD Woody wrote on last edited by

    @nero said:

    It is interesting, but maybe those skills are not corelated. Back to soccer, Messi in his prime I would say had one of the fastest 0 to 100 sprint in soccer, and height doesn't help but I wouldn't say he has the best broad and vert ever. 

    DPJ is now a Brown so let's hope he earns his spot and contributes. He definitely has a nice WR room to look up to and at the same time joining such a couple must instantly make you more humble on your skills lol. 

    Small stride length can help build acceleration quickly. I deal with it playing soccer myself. At 6'4" it takes me longer to get going that someone that's 5'9", but once I have my strides going I can match (generally speaking)

  • MLD WoodyM MLD Woody wrote on last edited by

    https://news.gallup.com/poll/224864/football-americans-favorite-sport-watch.aspx

    The 9% of Americans who mention baseball as their favorite sport to watch is the lowest percentage for the sport since Gallup first asked the question in 1937

    https://sports.yahoo.com/mlb-attendance-continues-to-drop-following-worst-season-since-2003-223509591.html

    The Associated Press reported on Thursday that the average attendance for MLB games this season is 26,854 through Wednesday. That marks a 1.4 percent drop from last year’s tally of 27,242 at the same point of the season.

    2018 was the first season since 2003 that average attendance for MLB games dropped below 30,000, according to AP.

    https://www.marketwatch.com/story/the-sports-with-the-oldest-and-youngest-tv-audiences-2017-06-30

    Major League Baseball’s television audience is among the oldest in professional sports, according to data recently released by Street & Smith’s Sports Business Journal and Magna Global. The average age of a baseball viewer is 57, up from 52 in 2006. There won’t be a youth movement, either, as just 7% of baseball’s audience is below age 18.

    All sports have aging viewers, as the country is aging, but MLB is the oldest major sport and outpacing the age growth rate. MLS on the other hand is among the youngest. 

  • @nero said:

    It is interesting, but maybe those skills are not corelated. Back to soccer, Messi in his prime I would say had one of the fastest 0 to 100 sprint in soccer, and height doesn't help but I wouldn't say he has the best broad and vert ever. 

    DPJ is now a Brown so let's hope he earns his spot and contributes. He definitely has a nice WR room to look up to and at the same time joining such a couple must instantly make you more humble on your skills lol. 

    Small stride length can help build acceleration quickly. I deal with it playing soccer myself. At 6'4" it takes me longer to get going that someone that's 5'9", but once I have my strides going I can match (generally speaking)

    NeroN Nero wrote on last edited by

    @mld-woody said:

    Small stride length can help build acceleration quickly. I deal with it playing soccer myself. At 6'4" it takes me longer to get going that someone that's 5'9", but once I have my strides going I can match (generally speaking)

    6'4"? Fuck me. I'm glad that I have never said any real hurtful thing about TTUN and I have the Atlantic Ocean between us. Striker, defender? Don't tell me you play midfield. 

  • @mld-woody said:

    Small stride length can help build acceleration quickly. I deal with it playing soccer myself. At 6'4" it takes me longer to get going that someone that's 5'9", but once I have my strides going I can match (generally speaking)

    6'4"? Fuck me. I'm glad that I have never said any real hurtful thing about TTUN and I have the Atlantic Ocean between us. Striker, defender? Don't tell me you play midfield. 

    C calfoxwc wrote on last edited by

    @nero said:

    6'4"? Fuck me. I'm glad that I have never said any real hurtful thing about TTUN and I have the Atlantic Ocean between us. Striker, defender? Don't tell me you play midfield. 

    hqdefault.jpg

  • https://news.gallup.com/poll/224864/football-americans-favorite-sport-watch.aspx

    The 9% of Americans who mention baseball as their favorite sport to watch is the lowest percentage for the sport since Gallup first asked the question in 1937

    https://sports.yahoo.com/mlb-attendance-continues-to-drop-following-worst-season-since-2003-223509591.html

    The Associated Press reported on Thursday that the average attendance for MLB games this season is 26,854 through Wednesday. That marks a 1.4 percent drop from last year’s tally of 27,242 at the same point of the season.

    2018 was the first season since 2003 that average attendance for MLB games dropped below 30,000, according to AP.

    https://www.marketwatch.com/story/the-sports-with-the-oldest-and-youngest-tv-audiences-2017-06-30

    Major League Baseball’s television audience is among the oldest in professional sports, according to data recently released by Street & Smith’s Sports Business Journal and Magna Global. The average age of a baseball viewer is 57, up from 52 in 2006. There won’t be a youth movement, either, as just 7% of baseball’s audience is below age 18.

    All sports have aging viewers, as the country is aging, but MLB is the oldest major sport and outpacing the age growth rate. MLS on the other hand is among the youngest. 

    hoortaH hoorta wrote on last edited by

    @mld-woody said:

    https://news.gallup.com/poll/224864/football-americans-favorite-sport-watch.aspx

    The 9% of Americans who mention baseball as their favorite sport to watch is the lowest percentage for the sport since Gallup first asked the question in 1937

    https://sports.yahoo.com/mlb-attendance-continues-to-drop-following-worst-season-since-2003-223509591.html

    The Associated Press reported on Thursday that the average attendance for MLB games this season is 26,854 through Wednesday. That marks a 1.4 percent drop from last year’s tally of 27,242 at the same point of the season.

    2018 was the first season since 2003 that average attendance for MLB games dropped below 30,000, according to AP.

    https://www.marketwatch.com/story/the-sports-with-the-oldest-and-youngest-tv-audiences-2017-06-30

    Major League Baseball’s television audience is among the oldest in professional sports, according to data recently released by Street & Smith’s Sports Business Journal and Magna Global. The average age of a baseball viewer is 57, up from 52 in 2006. There won’t be a youth movement, either, as just 7% of baseball’s audience is below age 18.

    All sports have aging viewers, as the country is aging, but MLB is the oldest major sport and outpacing the age growth rate. MLS on the other hand is among the youngest. 

    Don't confuse Gipper with facts Woody....  😁 

    All his stuff is opinionated rubbish.... The above is real world. Which he's not living in- at least when it comes to baseball...   

    I'd be interested in seeing a poll what sport the under 18 crowd favors, when they're not playing video games.... 

  • @mld-woody said:

    Small stride length can help build acceleration quickly. I deal with it playing soccer myself. At 6'4" it takes me longer to get going that someone that's 5'9", but once I have my strides going I can match (generally speaking)

    6'4"? Fuck me. I'm glad that I have never said any real hurtful thing about TTUN and I have the Atlantic Ocean between us. Striker, defender? Don't tell me you play midfield. 

    MLD WoodyM MLD Woody wrote on last edited by

    @nero said:

    6'4"? Fuck me. I'm glad that I have never said any real hurtful thing about TTUN and I have the Atlantic Ocean between us. Striker, defender? Don't tell me you play midfield. 

    Centerback and I've picked up goalie the last few years. When your wingspan covers the indoor goal, or you can dive out in front of someone and block 8', you're good lol. But most of my life before that is winning headers and bodying little guys.

    I don't have the endurance for midfield. Asthma is a bitch. 

    No striker. I enjoy shutting other people down more than I enjoy scoring, honestly. 

    How about you?

    Oh and I'm just soccer big. Not big big haha.

  • @unsympathetic said:

    My favorite quote from his NFL.com draft profile:

    "Play speed is very gradual and non-threatening"

    Watching his highlights, to me he looks more like a long stride fast runner, than a sprinter. I mean, it looks like he has a nice top speed, but he doesn't reach it as fast as other players (and THAT is a threatening trait). 

    BarryB Barry wrote on last edited by

    @nero said:

    Watching his highlights, to me he looks more like a long stride fast runner, than a sprinter. I mean, it looks like he has a nice top speed, but he doesn't reach it as fast as other players (and THAT is a threatening trait). 

    Which is what was amazing about Josh Gordon. The guy had both long strides and was quick with them. If you look closely at his breaks he could break a defender's ankles by using his long strides, he didn't have to take shorter, quick steps to change direction. 

  • https://news.gallup.com/poll/224864/football-americans-favorite-sport-watch.aspx

    The 9% of Americans who mention baseball as their favorite sport to watch is the lowest percentage for the sport since Gallup first asked the question in 1937

    https://sports.yahoo.com/mlb-attendance-continues-to-drop-following-worst-season-since-2003-223509591.html

    The Associated Press reported on Thursday that the average attendance for MLB games this season is 26,854 through Wednesday. That marks a 1.4 percent drop from last year’s tally of 27,242 at the same point of the season.

    2018 was the first season since 2003 that average attendance for MLB games dropped below 30,000, according to AP.

    https://www.marketwatch.com/story/the-sports-with-the-oldest-and-youngest-tv-audiences-2017-06-30

    Major League Baseball’s television audience is among the oldest in professional sports, according to data recently released by Street & Smith’s Sports Business Journal and Magna Global. The average age of a baseball viewer is 57, up from 52 in 2006. There won’t be a youth movement, either, as just 7% of baseball’s audience is below age 18.

    All sports have aging viewers, as the country is aging, but MLB is the oldest major sport and outpacing the age growth rate. MLS on the other hand is among the youngest. 

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by

    @mld-woody said:

    https://news.gallup.com/poll/224864/football-americans-favorite-sport-watch.aspx

    The 9% of Americans who mention baseball as their favorite sport to watch is the lowest percentage for the sport since Gallup first asked the question in 1937

    https://sports.yahoo.com/mlb-attendance-continues-to-drop-following-worst-season-since-2003-223509591.html

    The Associated Press reported on Thursday that the average attendance for MLB games this season is 26,854 through Wednesday. That marks a 1.4 percent drop from last year’s tally of 27,242 at the same point of the season.

    2018 was the first season since 2003 that average attendance for MLB games dropped below 30,000, according to AP.

    https://www.marketwatch.com/story/the-sports-with-the-oldest-and-youngest-tv-audiences-2017-06-30

    Major League Baseball’s television audience is among the oldest in professional sports, according to data recently released by Street & Smith’s Sports Business Journal and Magna Global. The average age of a baseball viewer is 57, up from 52 in 2006. There won’t be a youth movement, either, as just 7% of baseball’s audience is below age 18.

    All sports have aging viewers, as the country is aging, but MLB is the oldest major sport and outpacing the age growth rate. MLS on the other hand is among the youngest. 

    Still 10 times the audience That soccer has

  • @mld-woody said:

    https://news.gallup.com/poll/224864/football-americans-favorite-sport-watch.aspx

    The 9% of Americans who mention baseball as their favorite sport to watch is the lowest percentage for the sport since Gallup first asked the question in 1937

    https://sports.yahoo.com/mlb-attendance-continues-to-drop-following-worst-season-since-2003-223509591.html

    The Associated Press reported on Thursday that the average attendance for MLB games this season is 26,854 through Wednesday. That marks a 1.4 percent drop from last year’s tally of 27,242 at the same point of the season.

    2018 was the first season since 2003 that average attendance for MLB games dropped below 30,000, according to AP.

    https://www.marketwatch.com/story/the-sports-with-the-oldest-and-youngest-tv-audiences-2017-06-30

    Major League Baseball’s television audience is among the oldest in professional sports, according to data recently released by Street & Smith’s Sports Business Journal and Magna Global. The average age of a baseball viewer is 57, up from 52 in 2006. There won’t be a youth movement, either, as just 7% of baseball’s audience is below age 18.

    All sports have aging viewers, as the country is aging, but MLB is the oldest major sport and outpacing the age growth rate. MLS on the other hand is among the youngest. 

    Still 10 times the audience That soccer has

    MLD WoodyM MLD Woody wrote on last edited by

    @the-gipper said:

    Still 10 times the audience That soccer has

    Not at all the point I was making. But by going to this I realize you're admitting you're wrong in the only way you know how. I'll take it. 

  • @nero said:

    6'4"? Fuck me. I'm glad that I have never said any real hurtful thing about TTUN and I have the Atlantic Ocean between us. Striker, defender? Don't tell me you play midfield. 

    Centerback and I've picked up goalie the last few years. When your wingspan covers the indoor goal, or you can dive out in front of someone and block 8', you're good lol. But most of my life before that is winning headers and bodying little guys.

    I don't have the endurance for midfield. Asthma is a bitch. 

    No striker. I enjoy shutting other people down more than I enjoy scoring, honestly. 

    How about you?

    Oh and I'm just soccer big. Not big big haha.

    NeroN Nero wrote on last edited by

    @mld-woody said:

    Centerback and I've picked up goalie the last few years. When your wingspan covers the indoor goal, or you can dive out in front of someone and block 8', you're good lol. But most of my life before that is winning headers and bodying little guys.

    I don't have the endurance for midfield. Asthma is a bitch. 

    No striker. I enjoy shutting other people down more than I enjoy scoring, honestly. 

    How about you?

    Oh and I'm just soccer big. Not big big haha.

    Goalie with 6' 4'' is great. I had asthma when I was a kid but never more after puberty. 

    I'm really bad at soccer, so in normal soccer I would play defender (haven't played in ages), I enjoyed shutting people down. Now for some years I've only played futsal and I play as a striker simply because I'm not either phisically or technically good so there's where less harmful I can be for my team: in futsal you have to sprint constantly and is way different to soccer, with more technique and moving around. I fight, I try to not make mistakes, I cheer and that's about it. 

    And yeah, I'd say you're soccer big. Not only in Spain we have less average height than in the US (I'm 5'9'' myself), but I don't see many people at 6'4'' or taller playing soccer unless they are centerback, goalie or a striker. I only recall Ibrahimovic being a very agile at 6'5'', but from that point onwards most of the people are "clunky" for soccer.

  • @mld-woody said:

    Centerback and I've picked up goalie the last few years. When your wingspan covers the indoor goal, or you can dive out in front of someone and block 8', you're good lol. But most of my life before that is winning headers and bodying little guys.

    I don't have the endurance for midfield. Asthma is a bitch. 

    No striker. I enjoy shutting other people down more than I enjoy scoring, honestly. 

    How about you?

    Oh and I'm just soccer big. Not big big haha.

    Goalie with 6' 4'' is great. I had asthma when I was a kid but never more after puberty. 

    I'm really bad at soccer, so in normal soccer I would play defender (haven't played in ages), I enjoyed shutting people down. Now for some years I've only played futsal and I play as a striker simply because I'm not either phisically or technically good so there's where less harmful I can be for my team: in futsal you have to sprint constantly and is way different to soccer, with more technique and moving around. I fight, I try to not make mistakes, I cheer and that's about it. 

    And yeah, I'd say you're soccer big. Not only in Spain we have less average height than in the US (I'm 5'9'' myself), but I don't see many people at 6'4'' or taller playing soccer unless they are centerback, goalie or a striker. I only recall Ibrahimovic being a very agile at 6'5'', but from that point onwards most of the people are "clunky" for soccer.

    MLD WoodyM MLD Woody wrote on last edited by

    @nero said:

    Goalie with 6' 4'' is great. I had asthma when I was a kid but never more after puberty. 

    I'm really bad at soccer, so in normal soccer I would play defender (haven't played in ages), I enjoyed shutting people down. Now for some years I've only played futsal and I play as a striker simply because I'm not either phisically or technically good so there's where less harmful I can be for my team: in futsal you have to sprint constantly and is way different to soccer, with more technique and moving around. I fight, I try to not make mistakes, I cheer and that's about it. 

    And yeah, I'd say you're soccer big. Not only in Spain we have less average height than in the US (I'm 5'9'' myself), but I don't see many people at 6'4'' or taller playing soccer unless they are centerback, goalie or a striker. I only recall Ibrahimovic being a very agile at 6'5'', but from that point onwards most of the people are "clunky" for soccer.

    My favorite player growing up was Oguchi Onyewu. Big ass centerback. Played on the US team. 

    Also, I'm terrible at futsal. The less players on the field the worse I get as a field player (but better I get at goalie haha).

    I'd also imagine the Spanish version of "really bad at soccer" is still above average in the States haha. 

  • Dutch OvenD Dutch Oven wrote on last edited by

    What makes a "really bad soccer player"? 

    Someone confused how to jog around a big field at a medium pace aimlessly and struggling to eat orange slices one of the mom's brought after the game? 

    ?

  • @nero said:

    It is interesting, but maybe those skills are not corelated. Back to soccer, Messi in his prime I would say had one of the fastest 0 to 100 sprint in soccer, and height doesn't help but I wouldn't say he has the best broad and vert ever. 

    DPJ is now a Brown so let's hope he earns his spot and contributes. He definitely has a nice WR room to look up to and at the same time joining such a couple must instantly make you more humble on your skills lol. 

    Small stride length can help build acceleration quickly. I deal with it playing soccer myself. At 6'4" it takes me longer to get going that someone that's 5'9", but once I have my strides going I can match (generally speaking)

    Tour2maT Tour2ma wrote on last edited by

    @mld-woody said:

    Small stride length can help build acceleration quickly.

     Short stride helps control, but it's really the rate of increase of "turnover rate" or cycles per second that defines acceleration... literally.

    The one thing a short stride does do is keep a runner from fighting his own momentum whether accelerating or at top speed.

    I never had a coach tell me this until Sam Mussabini did.

  • @mld-woody said:

    https://news.gallup.com/poll/224864/football-americans-favorite-sport-watch.aspx

    The 9% of Americans who mention baseball as their favorite sport to watch is the lowest percentage for the sport since Gallup first asked the question in 1937

    https://sports.yahoo.com/mlb-attendance-continues-to-drop-following-worst-season-since-2003-223509591.html

    The Associated Press reported on Thursday that the average attendance for MLB games this season is 26,854 through Wednesday. That marks a 1.4 percent drop from last year’s tally of 27,242 at the same point of the season.

    2018 was the first season since 2003 that average attendance for MLB games dropped below 30,000, according to AP.

    https://www.marketwatch.com/story/the-sports-with-the-oldest-and-youngest-tv-audiences-2017-06-30

    Major League Baseball’s television audience is among the oldest in professional sports, according to data recently released by Street & Smith’s Sports Business Journal and Magna Global. The average age of a baseball viewer is 57, up from 52 in 2006. There won’t be a youth movement, either, as just 7% of baseball’s audience is below age 18.

    All sports have aging viewers, as the country is aging, but MLB is the oldest major sport and outpacing the age growth rate. MLS on the other hand is among the youngest. 

    Don't confuse Gipper with facts Woody....  😁 

    All his stuff is opinionated rubbish.... The above is real world. Which he's not living in- at least when it comes to baseball...   

    I'd be interested in seeing a poll what sport the under 18 crowd favors, when they're not playing video games.... 

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by The Gipper

    @hoorta said:

    Don't confuse Gipper with facts Woody....  😁 

    All his stuff is opinionated rubbish....

    EVRERYTHING you say about fucking soccer is opinionated Rubbish. 

    The above is real world. Which he's not living in- at least when it comes to baseball...   

    The average attendance for baseball game

    @mld-woody said:

    Not at all the point I was making. But by going to this I realize you're admitting you're wrong in the only way you know how. I'll take it. 

    @mld-woody said:

    Not at all the point I was making. But by going to this I realize you're admitting you're wrong in the only way you know how. I'll take it. 

    Right...your point is no point at all.  

    Average attendance at  34 soccer games like 21,000.   Average baseball attendence for a game where they play 162 games was  over 28,000.   Both sports actually had declines in attendance in 2019......except Soccer had a bigger percentage of decline.   (baseball problem with this decline was primarily attributable to  the Miami two Florida market.  TB and Miami.  It just is not working there for some reason, though you would think it would because of the big Hispanic population)

  • Dutch OvenD Dutch Oven wrote on last edited by

    I will say without reservation that no Cleveland sports player ever had Cleveland sports fans back like a former TTUN player... 

    https://www.cleveland.com/browns/2015/11/why_steve_everitt_and_cleveland_browns_fans.html

  • I will say without reservation that no Cleveland sports player ever had Cleveland sports fans back like a former TTUN player... 

    https://www.cleveland.com/browns/2015/11/why_steve_everitt_and_cleveland_browns_fans.html

    gumby73G gumby73 wrote on last edited by

    @dutch-oven said:

    I will say without reservation that no Cleveland sports player ever had Cleveland sports fans back like a former TTUN player... 

    https://www.cleveland.com/browns/2015/11/why_steve_everitt_and_cleveland_browns_fans.html

    no guilt here...still own the jersey...2 everitt charity bandanas & original Plains Dealer article in the scrapbook.. at the time, Steve was the guy the media wanted on the podium..