Donovan Peoples-Jones
-
Please don't disclose your devil strip Gip
You don't know what that is, do you. You're Not an Akronite.
You don't know what that is, do you.
My guess is it's a tree lawn but I honestly don't know
-
You don't know what that is, do you.
My guess is it's a tree lawn but I honestly don't know
My guess is it's a tree lawn but I honestly don't know
It obviously was not a guess. Its not like it is really a big secret or anything.
-
My guess is it's a tree lawn but I honestly don't know
It obviously was not a guess. Its not like it is really a big secret or anything.
It obviously was not a guess. Its not like it is really a big secret or anything.
No it was 100% a guess. I'd never heard of the term until you said it. I just used context clues....
-
It obviously was not a guess. Its not like it is really a big secret or anything.
No it was 100% a guess. I'd never heard of the term until you said it. I just used context clues....
No it was 100% a guess. I'd never heard of the term until you said it. I just used context clues....
Or, maybe it was in the back of your mind somewhere, and when it was mentioned here it slipped to the front of your mind.
Nevertheless....as noted, it was pretty much exclusively and Akron thing because, aren't you originally from like a Cleveland area suburb? And you say you have never heard of it. So, it was not a Cleveland thing, or Columbus or elsewhere. (however, I do think that someone....here or elsewhere, like on Facebook, said they were from Toledo and that the term was used there some).
https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Devil's Strip
-
You mean the Spanish word for "lawn" translates to "garden"? What is that word?
Also....then...as a non-Akronite I won't disclose to you what a devil strip is.
No. I mean that when we talk about the lawn we usually call it "jardín", which translates to garden. We simplify it by using that therm, no matter if it has flowers making it an actual garden or not. "lawn" translates to "césped" and is a term we use more specific contexts. For example in football. Like, you know, real football

-
No it was 100% a guess. I'd never heard of the term until you said it. I just used context clues....
Or, maybe it was in the back of your mind somewhere, and when it was mentioned here it slipped to the front of your mind.
Nevertheless....as noted, it was pretty much exclusively and Akron thing because, aren't you originally from like a Cleveland area suburb? And you say you have never heard of it. So, it was not a Cleveland thing, or Columbus or elsewhere. (however, I do think that someone....here or elsewhere, like on Facebook, said they were from Toledo and that the term was used there some).
https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Devil's Strip
Or, maybe it was in the back of your mind somewhere, and when it was mentioned here it slipped to the front of your mind.
Nevertheless....as noted, it was pretty much exclusively and Akron thing because, aren't you originally from like a Cleveland area suburb? And you say you have never heard of it. So, it was not a Cleveland thing, or Columbus or elsewhere. (however, I do think that someone....here or elsewhere, like on Facebook, said they were from Toledo and that the term was used there some).
https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Devil's Strip
Correct, Cleveland suburbs. That's why I use tree lawn
-
Or, maybe it was in the back of your mind somewhere, and when it was mentioned here it slipped to the front of your mind.
Nevertheless....as noted, it was pretty much exclusively and Akron thing because, aren't you originally from like a Cleveland area suburb? And you say you have never heard of it. So, it was not a Cleveland thing, or Columbus or elsewhere. (however, I do think that someone....here or elsewhere, like on Facebook, said they were from Toledo and that the term was used there some).
https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Devil's Strip
Correct, Cleveland suburbs. That's why I use tree lawn
That's why I use tree lawn
Which makes about as much sense sense as utility runs where I grew up meant no trees could be planted there.
Although, come to think of it, in old neighborhoods like Grandma and Grandpa Tour's in Brooklyn, Ohio... there were huge tree-lawn trees busting up sidewalks and busting out curbs...
-
You mean the Spanish word for "lawn" translates to "garden"? What is that word?
Also....then...as a non-Akronite I won't disclose to you what a devil strip is.
No. I mean that when we talk about the lawn we usually call it "jardín", which translates to garden. We simplify it by using that therm, no matter if it has flowers making it an actual garden or not. "lawn" translates to "césped" and is a term we use more specific contexts. For example in football. Like, you know, real football

No. I mean that when we talk about the lawn we usually call it "jardín", which translates to garden. We simplify it by using that therm, no matter if it has flowers making it an actual garden or not. "lawn" translates to "césped" and is a term we use more specific contexts. For example in football. Like, you know, real football

I have never heard the term "lawn" used in regard to either football or soccer. In football it is a "field" in soccer I have seen "pitch" used. (not sure how that particular reference came about). Only time I have heard "lawn" used is in tennis, when they play it on grass, like Wimbledon. I think maybe they use "lawn" in croquet as well.
-
That's why I use tree lawn
Which makes about as much sense sense as utility runs where I grew up meant no trees could be planted there.
Although, come to think of it, in old neighborhoods like Grandma and Grandpa Tour's in Brooklyn, Ohio... there were huge tree-lawn trees busting up sidewalks and busting out curbs...
Which makes about as much sense sense as utility runs where I grew up meant no trees could be planted there.
Although, come to think of it, in old neighborhoods like Grandma and Grandpa Tour's in Brooklyn, Ohio... there were huge tree-lawn trees busting up sidewalks and busting out curbs...
I know in some areas the "tree lawns" do in fact have trees. Sometimes devil strips can be very wide, others very narrow. Mine is about average, but no trees. Street lamps, yes. And, to me Devil strip is the natural term. Saying tree lawn to me is an un-natural as calling my yard a "garden".
-
No. I mean that when we talk about the lawn we usually call it "jardín", which translates to garden. We simplify it by using that therm, no matter if it has flowers making it an actual garden or not. "lawn" translates to "césped" and is a term we use more specific contexts. For example in football. Like, you know, real football

I have never heard the term "lawn" used in regard to either football or soccer. In football it is a "field" in soccer I have seen "pitch" used. (not sure how that particular reference came about). Only time I have heard "lawn" used is in tennis, when they play it on grass, like Wimbledon. I think maybe they use "lawn" in croquet as well.
I have never heard the term "lawn" used in regard to either football or soccer. In football it is a "field" in soccer I have seen "pitch" used. (not sure how that particular reference came about). Only time I have heard "lawn" used is in tennis, when they play it on grass, like Wimbledon. I think maybe they use "lawn" in croquet as well.
I am talking about the use of the term in the Spanish language, so it makes sense you haven't heard it used in regard to soccer. We use the term to say that the lawn of the field is higher or smaller, wet or dry.
-
I have never heard the term "lawn" used in regard to either football or soccer. In football it is a "field" in soccer I have seen "pitch" used. (not sure how that particular reference came about). Only time I have heard "lawn" used is in tennis, when they play it on grass, like Wimbledon. I think maybe they use "lawn" in croquet as well.
I am talking about the use of the term in the Spanish language, so it makes sense you haven't heard it used in regard to soccer. We use the term to say that the lawn of the field is higher or smaller, wet or dry.
I am talking about the use of the term in the Spanish language, so it makes sense you haven't heard it used in regard to soccer. We use the term to say that the lawn of the field is higher or smaller, wet or dry.
OK, well, for me that seems a bit weird. We would say "the grass" in those instances. As In: "the grass in your front lawn is getting high....you need to get your mower out.
It sounds like for the same sentence you might say "the lawn in your front garden is getting high....you need to put your goat to work"!!!!
-
I am talking about the use of the term in the Spanish language, so it makes sense you haven't heard it used in regard to soccer. We use the term to say that the lawn of the field is higher or smaller, wet or dry.
OK, well, for me that seems a bit weird. We would say "the grass" in those instances. As In: "the grass in your front lawn is getting high....you need to get your mower out.
It sounds like for the same sentence you might say "the lawn in your front garden is getting high....you need to put your goat to work"!!!!
OK, well, for me that seems a bit weird. We would say "the grass" in those instances. As In: "the grass in your front lawn is getting high....you need to get your mower out.
It sounds like for the same sentence you might say "the lawn in your front garden is getting high....you need to put your goat to work"!!!!
That's the way we use the term lawn. We use "césped" which in English would be closer to "grass" than to "lawn".
https://www.wordreference.com/es/translation.asp?tranword=lawn
https://www.wordreference.com/es/en/translation.asp?spen=césped
-
OK, well, for me that seems a bit weird. We would say "the grass" in those instances. As In: "the grass in your front lawn is getting high....you need to get your mower out.
It sounds like for the same sentence you might say "the lawn in your front garden is getting high....you need to put your goat to work"!!!!
That's the way we use the term lawn. We use "césped" which in English would be closer to "grass" than to "lawn".
https://www.wordreference.com/es/translation.asp?tranword=lawn
https://www.wordreference.com/es/en/translation.asp?spen=césped
That's the way we use the term lawn.
https://www.wordreference.com/es/translation.asp?tranword=lawn
https://www.wordreference.com/es/en/translation.asp?spen=césped
Interesting that they referred to a "bowling lawn". It must have some reference to the sport we know as bowling once being played in parks on grass. While I don't recall that ever being a thing in my lifetime....there are actually a few towns around America called "Bowling Green".....most notably here in Ohio (you may have heard of Bowling Green University" and Kentucky.....Bowling Green KY actually being where my Dad is from. (and also fyi....where the Corvette is produced).
I actually had a cousin who worked at the plant there.....and he was killed in an industrial accident while on the job.
-
That's the way we use the term lawn.
https://www.wordreference.com/es/translation.asp?tranword=lawn
https://www.wordreference.com/es/en/translation.asp?spen=césped
Interesting that they referred to a "bowling lawn". It must have some reference to the sport we know as bowling once being played in parks on grass. While I don't recall that ever being a thing in my lifetime....there are actually a few towns around America called "Bowling Green".....most notably here in Ohio (you may have heard of Bowling Green University" and Kentucky.....Bowling Green KY actually being where my Dad is from. (and also fyi....where the Corvette is produced).
I actually had a cousin who worked at the plant there.....and he was killed in an industrial accident while on the job.
(you may have heard of Bowling Green University" and Kentucky.....Bowling Green KY actually being where my Dad is from. (and also fyi....where the Corvette is produced).
I actually had a cousin who worked at the plant there.....and he was killed in an industrial accident while on the job.
I never heard of Bowling Green University, but I know the Corvette, so that's interesting. RIP your cousin.
-
(you may have heard of Bowling Green University" and Kentucky.....Bowling Green KY actually being where my Dad is from. (and also fyi....where the Corvette is produced).
I actually had a cousin who worked at the plant there.....and he was killed in an industrial accident while on the job.
I never heard of Bowling Green University, but I know the Corvette, so that's interesting. RIP your cousin.
I never heard of Bowling Green University, but I know the Corvette, so that's interesting. RIP your cousin.
Urban Meyer started his head coaching career at Bowling Green.
The Harbaugh family got their start at Bowling Green. The dad, Jack, a college football coach is a BG grad. Also, some Olympians you may have heard of: Scott Hamilton (ice skater), Dave Wottle.
Orel Hershiser (you probably do not know) Superior baseball pitcher.
Ric Ocasek from the band The Cars
Actor Tim Conway. Actress Eva Marie Saint (North by Northwest)
It is a MAC school rival of Akron U/Kent st.
-
Dave Wottle, one of our most notable Olympians in history:
He married a girl that was a year ahead of us (me/WSS) in high school.
-
Don't confuse Gipper with facts Woody....
All his stuff is opinionated rubbish....
EVRERYTHING you say about fucking soccer is opinionated Rubbish.
The above is real world. Which he's not living in- at least when it comes to baseball...
The average attendance for baseball game
Not at all the point I was making. But by going to this I realize you're admitting you're wrong in the only way you know how. I'll take it.
Not at all the point I was making. But by going to this I realize you're admitting you're wrong in the only way you know how. I'll take it.
Right...your point is no point at all.
Average attendance at 34 soccer games like 21,000. Average baseball attendence for a game where they play 162 games was over 28,000. Both sports actually had declines in attendance in 2019......except Soccer had a bigger percentage of decline. (baseball problem with this decline was primarily attributable to the Miami two Florida market. TB and Miami. It just is not working there for some reason, though you would think it would because of the big Hispanic population)
EVRERYTHING you say about fucking soccer is opinionated Rubbish.
Right...your point is no point at all.
Average attendance at 34 soccer games like 21,000. Average baseball attendence for a game where they play 162 games was over 28,000. Both sports actually had declines in attendance in 2019......except Soccer had a bigger percentage of decline. (baseball problem with this decline was primarily attributable to the Miami two Florida market. TB and Miami. It just is not working there for some reason, though you would think it would because of the big Hispanic population)
Yeah- average attendance figures. When back in the suck years, the Indians struggled many times to draw 1,000 fans to a game, unless they gave away nickel beer. Miami should try that.
Your point is when someone presents some facts at how lousy the "former" National pastime is doing, you conveniently change the subject.
I wasn't talking about soccer vis a vis baseball. I'm talking- and Woody backed it up, only a small minority of Americans now consider baseball their favorite spot, and my nursing home comment stands. If the average age of MLB fans is 57, well count my 91 year old Mom in that group. Or you miss it that the under 18 crowd to a large part could care less about baseball?
Just face it Gipper- the interest in baseball is decreasing, and the interest in soccer is increasing.
-
EVRERYTHING you say about fucking soccer is opinionated Rubbish.
Right...your point is no point at all.
Average attendance at 34 soccer games like 21,000. Average baseball attendence for a game where they play 162 games was over 28,000. Both sports actually had declines in attendance in 2019......except Soccer had a bigger percentage of decline. (baseball problem with this decline was primarily attributable to the Miami two Florida market. TB and Miami. It just is not working there for some reason, though you would think it would because of the big Hispanic population)
Yeah- average attendance figures. When back in the suck years, the Indians struggled many times to draw 1,000 fans to a game, unless they gave away nickel beer. Miami should try that.
Your point is when someone presents some facts at how lousy the "former" National pastime is doing, you conveniently change the subject.
I wasn't talking about soccer vis a vis baseball. I'm talking- and Woody backed it up, only a small minority of Americans now consider baseball their favorite spot, and my nursing home comment stands. If the average age of MLB fans is 57, well count my 91 year old Mom in that group. Or you miss it that the under 18 crowd to a large part could care less about baseball?
Just face it Gipper- the interest in baseball is decreasing, and the interest in soccer is increasing.
Yeah- average attendance figures. When back in the suck years, the Indians struggled many times to draw 1,000 fans to a game, unless they gave away nickel beer. Miami should try that.
Your point is when someone presents some facts at how lousy the "former" National pastime is doing, you conveniently change the subject.
I didn't change the subject. I just dispute your opinion. But I can't deny that it is your opinion.
I wasn't talking about soccer vis a vis baseball. I'm talking- and Woody backed it up, only a small minority of Americans now consider baseball their favorite spot, and my nursing home comment stands. If the average age of MLB fans is 57, well count my 91 year old Mom in that group. Or you miss it that the under 18 crowd to a large part could care less about baseball?
Just face it Gipper- the interest in baseball is decreasing, and the interest in soccer is increasing.
Well then...WHY per the stats that I put up above.....did soccer universally have a decrease in attendance in 2019 compared to 2018....far more of a decrease than did baseball?
You want facts, you want stats....there they are. Perhaps for a decade there soccer had made some gains....but that is apparently gonzo. (and that was even in a year when the US women won the World Cup).
Edit: actually, something went FUBAR with this site. I had pasted a whole series of attendance stats for MLS, but somehow the site ditched it when I posted. I have been having some serious connectivity issues with my wifi here. I will have to look those back up
-
Here they are:
25,500 89.3% Los Angeles FC 22,251 22,042 +0.9% Banc of California Stadium 22,000 101.1% New York City FC 21,107 23,211 −9.1% Yankee Stadium* 30,321 (47,422) 69.6% (44.5%) Minnesota United FC 19,723 23,902 −17.5%[c] Allianz Field 19,400 101.7% Vancouver Whitecaps FC 19,514 21,946 −11.1% BC Place* 22,120 (54,500) 99.2% (40.3%) San Jose Earthquakes 18,781 19,032 –1.3% Avaya Stadium[d][e] 18,000 94.3% Sporting Kansas City 18,601 19,950 –6.8% Children's Mercy Park 18,467 100.7% Real Salt Lake 18,121 18,605 –2.6% Rio Tinto Stadium 20,213 89.7% D.C. United 17,744 17,635 +0.6% Audi Field 20,000 88.7% New York Red Bulls 17,281 18,601 −7.1% Red Bull Arena 25,000 69.1% Philadelphia Union 17,111 16,518 +3.6% Talen Energy Stadium[f] 18,500 92.5% New England Revolution 16,737 18,347 −8.8% Gillette Stadium* 20,000 (65,878) 83.7% (25.4%) Montreal Impact 16,171 18,569 –12.9% Saputo Stadium 20,801 77.7% Houston Dynamo 15,874 16,906 −6.1% BBVA Stadium[g] 22,039 72% Columbus Crew 14,856 12,447 +19.4% Mapfre Stadium 19,968 74.4% FC Dallas 14,842 15,512 −4.3% Toyota Stadium 20,500 72.4% Colorado Rapids 14,284 15,333 −6.8% Dick's Sporting Goods Park 18,061 79.1% Chicago Fire 12,324 14,806 −16.8% SeatGeek Stadium 20,000 61.6%Team 2019 average
attendance2018 average
attendancePercent
changeStadium Capacity
(unrestricted)Percent
capacityAtlanta United FC 52,510 53,002 −0.9% Mercedes-Benz Stadium* 42,500 (at least 72,035) 123.6% (72.9%) Seattle Sounders FC 40,247 40,641 −1.0% CenturyLink Field* 39,419 (69,000) 102.1% (58.3%) FC Cincinnati 27,336 N/A N/A Nippert Stadium* 32,250 (40,000) 84.8% (68.3%) Portland Timbers 25,218 21,114 +19.3%[a] Providence Park 25,218 100% Toronto FC 25,048 26,628 −5.9% BMO Field 30,991 80.8% LA Galaxy 23,205 24,444 −5.1% Dignity Health Sports Park 27,000 85.9% Orlando City SC 22,761 23,866 −4.6% Exploria Stadium - So....good on Portland....who has the former Akron U HC as their HC, and Columbus... Jimmy Haslams team .which are the only teams that had more than a slight increase in attendance. 18 out of 23 had decreases.
-
Here they are:
25,500 89.3% Los Angeles FC 22,251 22,042 +0.9% Banc of California Stadium 22,000 101.1% New York City FC 21,107 23,211 −9.1% Yankee Stadium* 30,321 (47,422) 69.6% (44.5%) Minnesota United FC 19,723 23,902 −17.5%[c] Allianz Field 19,400 101.7% Vancouver Whitecaps FC 19,514 21,946 −11.1% BC Place* 22,120 (54,500) 99.2% (40.3%) San Jose Earthquakes 18,781 19,032 –1.3% Avaya Stadium[d][e] 18,000 94.3% Sporting Kansas City 18,601 19,950 –6.8% Children's Mercy Park 18,467 100.7% Real Salt Lake 18,121 18,605 –2.6% Rio Tinto Stadium 20,213 89.7% D.C. United 17,744 17,635 +0.6% Audi Field 20,000 88.7% New York Red Bulls 17,281 18,601 −7.1% Red Bull Arena 25,000 69.1% Philadelphia Union 17,111 16,518 +3.6% Talen Energy Stadium[f] 18,500 92.5% New England Revolution 16,737 18,347 −8.8% Gillette Stadium* 20,000 (65,878) 83.7% (25.4%) Montreal Impact 16,171 18,569 –12.9% Saputo Stadium 20,801 77.7% Houston Dynamo 15,874 16,906 −6.1% BBVA Stadium[g] 22,039 72% Columbus Crew 14,856 12,447 +19.4% Mapfre Stadium 19,968 74.4% FC Dallas 14,842 15,512 −4.3% Toyota Stadium 20,500 72.4% Colorado Rapids 14,284 15,333 −6.8% Dick's Sporting Goods Park 18,061 79.1% Chicago Fire 12,324 14,806 −16.8% SeatGeek Stadium 20,000 61.6%Team 2019 average
attendance2018 average
attendancePercent
changeStadium Capacity
(unrestricted)Percent
capacityAtlanta United FC 52,510 53,002 −0.9% Mercedes-Benz Stadium* 42,500 (at least 72,035) 123.6% (72.9%) Seattle Sounders FC 40,247 40,641 −1.0% CenturyLink Field* 39,419 (69,000) 102.1% (58.3%) FC Cincinnati 27,336 N/A N/A Nippert Stadium* 32,250 (40,000) 84.8% (68.3%) Portland Timbers 25,218 21,114 +19.3%[a] Providence Park 25,218 100% Toronto FC 25,048 26,628 −5.9% BMO Field 30,991 80.8% LA Galaxy 23,205 24,444 −5.1% Dignity Health Sports Park 27,000 85.9% Orlando City SC 22,761 23,866 −4.6% Exploria Stadium - So....good on Portland....who has the former Akron U HC as their HC, and Columbus... Jimmy Haslams team .which are the only teams that had more than a slight increase in attendance. 18 out of 23 had decreases.
Here they are:
Team 2019 average
attendance2018 average
attendancePercent
changeStadium Capacity
(unrestricted)Percent
capacityAtlanta United FC 52,510 53,002 −0.9% Mercedes-Benz Stadium* 42,500 (at least 72,035) 123.6% (72.9%) Seattle Sounders FC 40,247 40,641 −1.0% CenturyLink Field* 39,419 (69,000) 102.1% (58.3%) FC Cincinnati 27,336 N/A N/A Nippert Stadium* 32,250 (40,000) 84.8% (68.3%) Portland Timbers 25,218 21,114 +19.3%[a] Providence Park 25,218 100% Toronto FC 25,048 26,628 −5.9% BMO Field 30,991 80.8% LA Galaxy 23,205 24,444 −5.1% Dignity Health Sports Park 27,000 85.9% Orlando City SC 22,761 23,866 −4.6% Exploria Stadium 25,500 89.3% Los Angeles FC 22,251 22,042 +0.9% Banc of California Stadium 22,000 101.1% New York City FC 21,107 23,211 −9.1% Yankee Stadium* 30,321 (47,422) 69.6% (44.5%) Minnesota United FC 19,723 23,902 −17.5%[c] Allianz Field 19,400 101.7% Vancouver Whitecaps FC 19,514 21,946 −11.1% BC Place* 22,120 (54,500) 99.2% (40.3%) San Jose Earthquakes 18,781 19,032 –1.3% Avaya Stadium[d][e] 18,000 94.3% Sporting Kansas City 18,601 19,950 –6.8% Children's Mercy Park 18,467 100.7% Real Salt Lake 18,121 18,605 –2.6% Rio Tinto Stadium 20,213 89.7% D.C. United 17,744 17,635 +0.6% Audi Field 20,000 88.7% New York Red Bulls 17,281 18,601 −7.1% Red Bull Arena 25,000 69.1% Philadelphia Union 17,111 16,518 +3.6% Talen Energy Stadium[f] 18,500 92.5% New England Revolution 16,737 18,347 −8.8% Gillette Stadium* 20,000 (65,878) 83.7% (25.4%) Montreal Impact 16,171 18,569 –12.9% Saputo Stadium 20,801 77.7% Houston Dynamo 15,874 16,906 −6.1% BBVA Stadium[g] 22,039 72% Columbus Crew 14,856 12,447 +19.4% Mapfre Stadium 19,968 74.4% FC Dallas 14,842 15,512 −4.3% Toyota Stadium 20,500 72.4% Colorado Rapids 14,284 15,333 −6.8% Dick's Sporting Goods Park 18,061 79.1% Chicago Fire 12,324 14,806 −16.8% SeatGeek Stadium 20,000 61.6%
- So....good on Portland....who has the former Akron U HC as their HC, and Columbus... Jimmy Haslams team .which are the only teams that had more than a slight increase in attendance. 18 out of 23 had decreases.
OK, but I'm not talking the here and now, trends anyone? Don't have a crystal ball, but it's going to be interesting 10 years from now where the sports (baseball and soccer) respectively are. I probably won't be around to continue the discussion....
I'll expect another huge bump in 6 years with the United States along with Canada and Mexico hosting the World Cup.
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login