Skip to content

What is the biggest factor in Browns winning season??

The Browns Board
48 22 1.4k 1
  • T TexasAg1969 wrote on last edited by
    #10

    With an offense based more on running I hope to see longer times of possession which allow our thin defense plenty of time to rest on the sidelines. A rested first team D can win those close ones we tend to drop in the second half.

  • @orion said:

    Ice - I think you nailed the main things that were bad and cannot be bad anymore in order to be successful.  

    I would hope for a winning season.  But lets remember, once again, there's a WHOLE LOT of new with the Browns right now.  The OL will have at least two and possibly three new players.  One maybe two rookies.  The whole new playbook, new coaches, new GM thing that us fans are so familiar with.  Add to that the coronavirus affects that will be coming down the pike.

    I'm going to hope for gradual improvement throughout the season culminating with what looks like a solid team.  I'd like to see them win the last quarter of the season. (go 3-1........no matter who they have to play)

    Orion, appreciate your takes. ?

    I don't buy the "whole new system" thing. How many times has a D or O had a "whole new system" and kicked butt year 1? It's not rocket science. If OBJ was hurt all last season and is healthy now? A real LT? Uh oh. 

    OrionO Orion wrote on last edited by
    #11

    @icecube said:

    I don't buy the "whole new system" thing.

    I do.

    It's not a big deal for the RBs...but timing between receivers and the QB on new routes takes time to acquire.  Not to mention our 1st round pick needing to learn a new position...and of course the OL having perhaps three new pieces.  They have to learn how to work together.

    Too much newness to expect great things.  I'm not drinking the kool-aid nor will I entertain hype.   ---  i think buying into the hype last year by the team was a major problem.  Guys were not working hard enough nor taking it seriously enough.  After all, they were gonna be in the super bowl without even stepping onto the field.

  • The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #12

    The biggest factor in bringing a winning season would be to score more points than the other team.   Wouldn't it? 

  • @icecube said:

    I don't buy the "whole new system" thing.

    I do.

    It's not a big deal for the RBs...but timing between receivers and the QB on new routes takes time to acquire.  Not to mention our 1st round pick needing to learn a new position...and of course the OL having perhaps three new pieces.  They have to learn how to work together.

    Too much newness to expect great things.  I'm not drinking the kool-aid nor will I entertain hype.   ---  i think buying into the hype last year by the team was a major problem.  Guys were not working hard enough nor taking it seriously enough.  After all, they were gonna be in the super bowl without even stepping onto the field.

    I Icecube wrote on last edited by
    #13

    @orion said:

    I do.

    It's not a big deal for the RBs...but timing between receivers and the QB on new routes takes time to acquire.  Not to mention our 1st round pick needing to learn a new position...and of course the OL having perhaps three new pieces.  They have to learn how to work together.

    Too much newness to expect great things.  I'm not drinking the kool-aid nor will I entertain hype.   ---  i think buying into the hype last year by the team was a major problem.  Guys were not working hard enough nor taking it seriously enough.  After all, they were gonna be in the super bowl without even stepping onto the field.

    There are a limited amount of routes ran, they mostly all run the same routes. An 8 route is an 8 route. It's the terminology that changes. 

    And on D, how many times have you seen a D improve dramatically in the very 1st year of a new system? A lot. 

  • @orion said:

    I do.

    It's not a big deal for the RBs...but timing between receivers and the QB on new routes takes time to acquire.  Not to mention our 1st round pick needing to learn a new position...and of course the OL having perhaps three new pieces.  They have to learn how to work together.

    Too much newness to expect great things.  I'm not drinking the kool-aid nor will I entertain hype.   ---  i think buying into the hype last year by the team was a major problem.  Guys were not working hard enough nor taking it seriously enough.  After all, they were gonna be in the super bowl without even stepping onto the field.

    There are a limited amount of routes ran, they mostly all run the same routes. An 8 route is an 8 route. It's the terminology that changes. 

    And on D, how many times have you seen a D improve dramatically in the very 1st year of a new system? A lot. 

    S SdBacker80 wrote on last edited by SdBacker80
    #14

    @icecube said:

    There are a limited amount of routes ran, they mostly all run the same routes. An 8 route is an 8 route. It's the terminology that changes. 

    And on D, how many times have you seen a D improve dramatically in the very 1st year of a new system? A lot. 

    The Defense had the secondary out for half the year with hamstrings and then when they returned relatively healthy the best pass rusher in football was out.  Wilks for whatever reason was awful here too.

     I argued with some on here that our overall the effort didn’t look that great.  It looked like some guys were not talented enough or just flat out quit.  A New leader would certainly change that. 
     

    As far as attitude of don’t expect much from year to year.  We were are very underachieving 6 win team that could have very well met Just some not all expectations and been a 9-10 win team.   
     

    im far more pessimistic in some areas though than others.  I don’t expect Wills to just change sides as a rookie in the NFL At one of the toughest positions and have a good season. He’s gonna struggle at times and we will certainly hear we need a vet there at times.  

  • Tour2maT Tour2ma wrote on last edited by
    #15

    Biggest factor?

    Health...

  • @orion said:

    I do.

    It's not a big deal for the RBs...but timing between receivers and the QB on new routes takes time to acquire.  Not to mention our 1st round pick needing to learn a new position...and of course the OL having perhaps three new pieces.  They have to learn how to work together.

    Too much newness to expect great things.  I'm not drinking the kool-aid nor will I entertain hype.   ---  i think buying into the hype last year by the team was a major problem.  Guys were not working hard enough nor taking it seriously enough.  After all, they were gonna be in the super bowl without even stepping onto the field.

    There are a limited amount of routes ran, they mostly all run the same routes. An 8 route is an 8 route. It's the terminology that changes. 

    And on D, how many times have you seen a D improve dramatically in the very 1st year of a new system? A lot. 

    OrionO Orion wrote on last edited by
    #16

    @icecube said:

    There are a limited amount of routes ran,

    Yes there are...but there are routes that some offensive systems really don't run.

    We have the talent to be successful.  If the ducks line up nicely.

  • D BoneD D Bone wrote on last edited by
    #17

    Coaching 

  • ATOMA ATOM wrote on last edited by
    #18

    chomps

  • @icecube said:

    I don't buy the "whole new system" thing.

    I do.

    It's not a big deal for the RBs...but timing between receivers and the QB on new routes takes time to acquire.  Not to mention our 1st round pick needing to learn a new position...and of course the OL having perhaps three new pieces.  They have to learn how to work together.

    Too much newness to expect great things.  I'm not drinking the kool-aid nor will I entertain hype.   ---  i think buying into the hype last year by the team was a major problem.  Guys were not working hard enough nor taking it seriously enough.  After all, they were gonna be in the super bowl without even stepping onto the field.

    Bob806B Bob806 wrote on last edited by
    #19

    @orion said:

    I do.

    It's not a big deal for the RBs...but timing between receivers and the QB on new routes takes time to acquire.  Not to mention our 1st round pick needing to learn a new position...and of course the OL having perhaps three new pieces.  They have to learn how to work together.

    Too much newness to expect great things.  I'm not drinking the kool-aid nor will I entertain hype.   ---  i think buying into the hype last year by the team was a major problem.  Guys were not working hard enough nor taking it seriously enough.  After all, they were gonna be in the super bowl without even stepping onto the field.

    That's what I'm worried about too. I think all the teams with new coaching staffs may be behind the 8 ball.

    Like others mentioned,  the defense is a concern. I'm glad Wilks is gone, that scheme sucked. But it may take time to gel 

  • B blitzz2 wrote on last edited by
    #20

    OL Play, protect the cornerstone..

    LB, pretty thin there, guess we will see if Mack and Co step up. Hopefully after training camp cuts, there will be some unexpected LB cuts.

    Coaching. Freddie was way in over his head,  Stef. hopefully plants the foundation going forward.

  • @icecube said:

    There are a limited amount of routes ran,

    Yes there are...but there are routes that some offensive systems really don't run.

    We have the talent to be successful.  If the ducks line up nicely.

    I Icecube wrote on last edited by
    #21

    @orion said:

    Yes there are...but there are routes that some offensive systems really don't run.

    We have the talent to be successful.  If the ducks line up nicely.

    True. If there is an epiphany. Let Stef have a chance. Let him run it. 

  • tiamat63T tiamat63 wrote on last edited by
    #22

    Scoring more than the other teams.

  • Biggest factor?

    Health...

    I Icecube wrote on last edited by
    #23

    @tour2ma said:

    Biggest factor?

    Health...

    That's a given, but other than injuries...

  • @tour2ma said:

    Biggest factor?

    Health...

    That's a given, but other than injuries...

    Tour2maT Tour2ma wrote on last edited by
    #24

    @icecube said:

    That's a given, but other than injuries...

    More than a given in our case. It's of paramount importance.

    Save maybe QB and Safety we don't have the depth to lose any starter without a serious talent fall off.

  • @icecube said:

    That's a given, but other than injuries...

    More than a given in our case. It's of paramount importance.

    Save maybe QB and Safety we don't have the depth to lose any starter without a serious talent fall off.

    I Icecube wrote on last edited by
    #25

    @tour2ma said:

    More than a given in our case. It's of paramount importance.

    Save maybe QB and Safety we don't have the depth to lose any starter without a serious talent fall off.

    Are many teams any different? 

  • ballpeenB ballpeen wrote on last edited by
    #26

    Hold the other team to fewer points every game.

    I win the chicken dinner.

  • gumby73G gumby73 wrote on last edited by
    #27

    If ya want a honest answer on what not* to do? Ask Nick Chubb 

  • @tour2ma said:

    More than a given in our case. It's of paramount importance.

    Save maybe QB and Safety we don't have the depth to lose any starter without a serious talent fall off.

    Are many teams any different? 

    Tour2maT Tour2ma wrote on last edited by Tour2ma
    #28

    @icecube said:

    Are many teams any different? 

    Have to define "many", but yes, more than a couple are very different.

  • Hold the other team to fewer points every game.

    I win the chicken dinner.

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #29

    @ballpeen said:

    Hold the other team to fewer points every game.

    I win the chicken dinner.

    BUZZZZ  too late.   Other got their hand on that poultry before you.    But we will leave a couple of wings for you.