Skip to content

Mt. Rushmore of Coaches

The Browns Board
33 11 1.2k 1
  • The talking heads on TV were discussing this due to the  death of Don Shula.  They each had their own set.  So, lets do our own survey. 

    Who would be on your Mt. Rushmore    of  Head coaches?  

  • without brady and Gronk, butticheck was  not on the list at all.

  • Don Shula,  Paul Brown,  Bill Walsh,  Vince Lombardi

  • Paul Brown, Tom Landry, Belichick, Halas

  • without brady and Gronk, butticheck was  not on the list at all.

    @calfoxwc said:

    without brady and Gronk, butticheck was  not on the list at all.

    Without Otto Graham, Paul Brown is not on this list. 

  • Gipper can't put Belichick on this Mount Rushmore because his blatant homerism won't allow it.

    He'll ramble on and on and on in response to this, which I'm not going to even bother to respond to, but what I just said is true. 

  • Don Shula, Vince Lombardi, Bill Walsh, Bill Belichick 

  • Zombo said:

    So you are judging Belichick on his four years in Cleveland, where the team rapidly improved from a depleted roster to a playoff winner before the wheels came off with the move... His first year in New England with another depleted roster ... and the year he went 11-5  with Matt Cassell.

    And because of those six seasons, you dont want to acknowledge his coaching prowess because he had a HOF qb ... even though he won a Super Bowl when that Qb was just a game manager in his second year, then won two more super bowls, then 10 years later won three more Super Bowls, including one where Brady was on the bench ready to concede defeat when his defense intercepted the ball at the one yard line. 

    He has taken 9 different 53 man rosters, which he himself drafted, built and coached, to the Super Bowl, but since they all had the same QB, who he also drafted and coached, he's a lesser coach than Shula who won 2 out 6 championships, and never won one with Dan Marino, the best passer of his era?

    This is why I was afraid to ask. I knew you would have some biased, bullshit reason for ranking him where you did, and you would dig in and not give ground and just make it a frustrating endeavor to try and discuss it with you.

    Paul Brown and Otto Graham were both the best of their era. And Bill Belichick and Tom Brady were both the best if their era. They won championships together ... not in spite of each other.

    Z

    BB was/is a PR nightmare and when he cut Kosar, it riled up our fan base. 

    Yet, he managed to put together a solid defense and was well on his way to doing great things here until Art destroyed it. 

    He's won with defense, and he's won letting Brady throw 50+times. He's the master of salary cap football.

    While I wouldn't expect the Pats in the SB this season, I wouldn't count them out of the playoffs. 

  • Paul Brown won hugely every place he coached.

    like Massillon Washington High School. and Paul Brown didn't have Lou Groza in hs.

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Brown

    Brown began his coaching career at Severn School in 1931 before becoming the head football coach at Massillon Washington High School in Massillon, Ohio, where he grew up. His high school teams lost only 10 games in 11 seasons. He was then hired at Ohio State University and coached the school to its first national football championship in 1942. After World War II, he became head coach of the Browns, who won all four AAFC championships before joining the NFL in 1950. Brown coached the Browns to three NFL championships – in 1950, 1954 and 1955 – but was fired in January 1963 amid a power struggle with team owner Art Modell.

    *************************************

       now, let's look at billy buttheadcheck -

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_Belichick, who was a loser head coach for the Browns - his first head coaching job.

    THEN, after being FIRED, he became a head coach with the Jets, but "resigned" after only one day on the job, and went to become the head coach of the Patriots.

    Belichick began his coaching career in 1975 and became the defensive coordinator for New York Giants head coach Bill Parcells by 1985. Parcells and Belichick won two Super Bowls together before Belichick left to become the head coach of the Cleveland Browns in 1991. He remained in Cleveland for five seasons but was fired following the team's 1995 season. He then rejoined Parcells, first in New England, where the team lost Super Bowl XXXI, and later with the New York Jets.

    After being named head coach of the Jets, Belichick resigned after only one day on the job to accept the head coaching job for the New England Patriots on January 27, 2000.

    ***********************************************

       and, after inheriting a Patiots team that was 11-5 in 96, in 94, 10-5 in 97, 9-7 in 98, and 8-8 in 99....

    buttheadcheck became their head coach, and took them to a losing season - 5-11.

    Only after all that, did he learn how not to be too much of a jerkface, to become a successful head coach.

    and guess what qb came to the Patriots in Buttheadcheck's FIRST YEAR? yep. Tom Brady.

  • Yeah, I can't take someone seriously who calls themselves an adult but uses words like "hugely" and refers to people as "Buttheadcheck". 

    Some of you should be forced to show your work on here to your better halves. How embarrassing that would be. 

  • Yeah, I can't take someone seriously who calls themselves an adult but uses words like "hugely" and refers to people as "Buttheadcheck". 

    Some of you should be forced to show your work on here to your better halves. How embarrassing that would be. 

    @dutch-oven said:

    Yeah, I can't take someone seriously who calls themselves an adult but uses words like "hugely" and refers to people as "Buttheadcheck". 

    Some of you should be forced to show your work on here to your better halves. How embarrassing that would be. 

    When are you going to show your work and pick your group?

  • Paul Brown,  Lombardi, Halas, Shula.

  • Gipper can't put Belichick on this Mount Rushmore because his blatant homerism won't allow it.

    He'll ramble on and on and on in response to this, which I'm not going to even bother to respond to, but what I just said is true. 

    @dutch-oven said:

    Gipper can't put Belichick on this Mount Rushmore because his blatant homerism won't allow it.

    He'll ramble on and on and on in response to this, which I'm not going to even bother to respond to, but what I just said is true. 

    Exactly. Completely true. 

  • No Parcells?  He won alot of places...alot of Qbs...coached up alot of bad teams

    He has a place in my Mt Rush.

  • @dutch-oven said:

    Gipper can't put Belichick on this Mount Rushmore because his blatant homerism won't allow it.

    He'll ramble on and on and on in response to this, which I'm not going to even bother to respond to, but what I just said is true. 

    Exactly. Completely true. 

    @mld-woody said:

    Exactly. Completely true. 

    if you can't argue vs the content, you go woodypeckerhead, even over here?

    pretty trash. I just gave facts, and sure enough, you go back to it again?

    egad. If a post is wrong, explain why it is, don't just bitch as usual.

  • @dutch-oven said:

    Yeah, I can't take someone seriously who calls themselves an adult but uses words like "hugely" and refers to people as "Buttheadcheck". 

    Some of you should be forced to show your work on here to your better halves. How embarrassing that would be. 

    When are you going to show your work and pick your group?

    @the-gipper said:

    When are you going to show your work and pick your group?

    I already did. 

  • @dutch-oven said:

    Gipper can't put Belichick on this Mount Rushmore because his blatant homerism won't allow it.

    He'll ramble on and on and on in response to this, which I'm not going to even bother to respond to, but what I just said is true. 

    Exactly. Completely true. 

    @mld-woody said:

    Exactly. Completely true. 

    Yes,  I do Exhibit blatant homerism.   I will demonstrate:   FUCK  MICHIGAN!!  

    And where are YOUR choices?   No, never mind.  I know that you don't know enough about the history of the game to have a proper choice.   You would probably choose like just Jim Harbaugh and Bieline.....

  • @the-gipper said:

    When are you going to show your work and pick your group?

    I already did. 

    @dutch-oven said:

    I already did. 

    Not in any post that I see on this thread.    Picking them in your brain doesn't really reveal anything to the rest of us. 

  • Gipper can't put Belichick on this Mount Rushmore because his blatant homerism won't allow it.

    He'll ramble on and on and on in response to this, which I'm not going to even bother to respond to, but what I just said is true. 

    @dutch-oven said:

    Gipper can't put Belichick on this Mount Rushmore because his blatant homerism won't allow it.

    No, I just think the guys I chose are better. 

    He'll ramble on and on and on in response to this, which I'm not going to even bother to respond to, but what I just said is true. 

    No, I just think the guys I chose are better. 

  • Brown , Lombardi,Walsh , Halas!