Skip to content

The 2020 Rules Changes Thread

The Browns Board
27 8 568
  • Check out the proposed onside kick replacement. It's got more potential impact than any of the others.

    Good article on it here: https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/among-nfl-rule-change-proposals-is-a-fourth-and-15-play-replacing-an-onside-kick/ar-BB14qExg?ocid=spartandhp

    Full list below from https://operations.nfl.com/updates/the-rules/2020-rules-proposals/

    image.thumb.png.9659d26ac00aa0efc7c4a3e042de26ff.png

  • I hate that 4th and 15 onside kick thing.   If you're losing the game then you deserve to be losing the game!   Don't penalize the team that has worked hard to get a lead.

    Let's change the NBA to Make It - Take it then!

  • Booth official looks great actually -- the point is to get calls right that are obvious. 

    Replay of PI didn't work bc of the way it was implemented, not because the Saints WR should always get hit before the ball gets to their hands.

  • I hear that they are supposed to vote on the 4th and 15  proposal like today. 

    I heard another alternative being that a team could select to do a 4th and 2 or 3......but if they choose that the MUST run the ball.  No forward pass allowed...not even "Utah passes".

    If they do adopt the 4th and 15,  I understand that they can only choose that option during the  regulation time....not OT.  And they can only do it twice. 

    If they go with the 4th and 15, I can see a number of hook and ladder plays being called......or the  "Music City Miracle"  like plays.

    A key though, as noted above, is that if you fail, the other team gets the ball where they stop you.    In other words, say it is an incomplete pass.....the defending team then gets the ball on your  25 yard line.  In other words, they are basically already in  Field Goal range. 

  • You know who is not making No Fun League cracks today, after owners tabled a proposal to allow teams to convert a fourth-and-15 play as an alternative to an onside kick? Special teams acolytes, who worried the play would be another baby step toward taking the kickoff out of the game.

    That was never the case -- the kickoff is alive and well, despite safety-related rules changes that drove the success rate of an onside kick attempt down to 10.5 percent in the last two years. But the owners' decision to pass again on the fourth-and-15 play -- it failed badly last year -- was a nod to the traditionalists, who have long worried that the idea is too gimmicky, as Pittsburgh Steelers president Art Rooney II told Pittsburgh reporters on Thursday afternoon. Another reason to reconsider such a proposal: the conversion rate on fourth-and-15 plays over the last 10 seasons is 26.7 percent, well above the onside kick recovery rate even before the safety rules changes, which was 16.3 percent from 2013 to 2017. That might simply give teams too good a chance, an acknowledgement that one owner made during their virtual meeting when he suggested teams that have Hall of Fame-caliber quarterbacks should not be part of the discussion.

    "There is definitely that theory that you don't want to make the comeback too easy," said Rich McKay, the chairman of the Competition Committee. "You worked all game to get ahead."

  • So?  They did table it.   I had not heard.    Rooney was right....it really is too gimmicky. 

    Like the college OT rules....nothing but a gimmick. 

  • So?  They did table it.   I had not heard.    Rooney was right....it really is too gimmicky. 

    Like the college OT rules....nothing but a gimmick. 

    @the-gipper said:

    Like the college OT rules....nothing but a gimmick. 

    Yep, but I loved A&M's record setting 7 OT win over LSU!?

  • @the-gipper said:

    Like the college OT rules....nothing but a gimmick. 

    Yep, but I loved A&M's record setting 7 OT win over LSU!?

    @texasag1969 said:

    Yep, but I loved A&M's record setting 7 OT win over LSU!?

    Would you have loved it less if there was a legitimate OT system in place and they won? 

  • @texasag1969 said:

    Yep, but I loved A&M's record setting 7 OT win over LSU!?

    Would you have loved it less if there was a legitimate OT system in place and they won? 

    @the-gipper said:

    Would you have loved it less if there was a legitimate OT system in place and they won? 

    I'd like the win but would have missed multiple spectacular plays that 7 OT produced by both sides.

  • @the-gipper said:

    Would you have loved it less if there was a legitimate OT system in place and they won? 

    I'd like the win but would have missed multiple spectacular plays that 7 OT produced by both sides.

    @texasag1969 said:

    I'd like the win but would have missed multiple spectacular plays that 7 OT produced by both sides.

    meh.  Those plays happen every week in college football in regulation time. 

  • @texasag1969 said:

    I'd like the win but would have missed multiple spectacular plays that 7 OT produced by both sides.

    meh.  Those plays happen every week in college football in regulation time. 

    @the-gipper said:

    meh.  Those plays happen every week in college football in regulation time. 

    Nope. It was one play after another every single overtime. There were more spectacular plays in the overtimes than any 3 full college games combined.

    It was named Sports Illustrated's Game of the Year for 2018. https://www.si.com/college/2018/11/28/regular-season-top-10-games-lsu-texas-am

  • @the-gipper said:

    meh.  Those plays happen every week in college football in regulation time. 

    Nope. It was one play after another every single overtime. There were more spectacular plays in the overtimes than any 3 full college games combined.

    It was named Sports Illustrated's Game of the Year for 2018. https://www.si.com/college/2018/11/28/regular-season-top-10-games-lsu-texas-am

    @texasag1969 said:

    Nope. It was one play after another every single overtime. There were more spectacular plays in the overtimes than any 3 full college games combined.

    It was named Sports Illustrated's Game of the Year for 2018. https://www.si.com/college/2018/11/28/regular-season-top-10-games-lsu-texas-am

    Not impressed by games that take such gimmickry to the extreme.  I am not saying that the kids didn't make great plays...even spectacular plays.  But having to go to 7 OTs with this system is a farce. 

  • I hate that 4th and 15 onside kick thing.   If you're losing the game then you deserve to be losing the game!   Don't penalize the team that has worked hard to get a lead.

    Let's change the NBA to Make It - Take it then!

    @orion said:

    I hate that 4th and 15 onside kick thing.   If you're losing the game then you deserve to be losing the game!   Don't penalize the team that has worked hard to get a lead.

    Let's change the NBA to Make It - Take it then!

    I kind of agree let's not get too cute with the rule changes unless they have to......proven data on health concerns, etc.

    ALSO I hate multiple OT games I like the current NFL version and then let it end in a tie unless it is a playoff game.

  • @orion said:

    I hate that 4th and 15 onside kick thing.   If you're losing the game then you deserve to be losing the game!   Don't penalize the team that has worked hard to get a lead.

    Let's change the NBA to Make It - Take it then!

    I kind of agree let's not get too cute with the rule changes unless they have to......proven data on health concerns, etc.

    ALSO I hate multiple OT games I like the current NFL version and then let it end in a tie unless it is a playoff game.

    @mjp28 said:

    ALSO I hate multiple OT games I like the current NFL version and then let it end in a tie unless it is a playoff game.

    Ya know what?  I don't have a problem with games ending in a tie.  Play 60 minutes...and end the game...so that 60 Minutes can come on on time.  🙂

    Obviously, playoffs 'require' a winner and a loser....but IMO, the regular season does not.

    edit:  add:  For the VAST majority of the last 20 years.....A TIE would've been a HUGE VICTORY for us.  

  • Play football for 60 minutes...then we can all get the hell out a here!

  • OK, that made no sense whatsoever. 

  • OK, that made no sense whatsoever. 

    @the-gipper said:

    OK, that made no sense whatsoever. 

    Lol....So, I say, for the regular season, no OT.   -  Play 60 minutes of football then we can all get the hell out of there.

    And Woody says, We're going to clone him right into his suite so we can all get the hell out of here.

  • They can table that 4th & 15 rule every year in my traditional ? opinion.. or till they can find a replacement for Troy Vincent 😮...

    I listened to Mr. V, try to explain the 'non-gimmick' of this rule yesterday.. of why any sports team, getting their butts handed to them all day should even earn a chance?

    Vincent replied "The NFL is a 60 minute 'entertainment' business" Get Out! before we can build 20 point comeback Targets?       

    Edit--i get my fair share of rule changes just flipping on a browns game weekly..why risk anymore? 

  • They can table that 4th & 15 rule every year in my traditional ? opinion.. or till they can find a replacement for Troy Vincent 😮...

    I listened to Mr. V, try to explain the 'non-gimmick' of this rule yesterday.. of why any sports team, getting their butts handed to them all day should even earn a chance?

    Vincent replied "The NFL is a 60 minute 'entertainment' business" Get Out! before we can build 20 point comeback Targets?       

    Edit--i get my fair share of rule changes just flipping on a browns game weekly..why risk anymore? 

    @gumby73 said:

    They can table that 4th & 15 rule every year in my traditional ? opinion.. or till they can find a replacement for Troy Vincent 😮...

    I listened to Mr. V, try to explain the 'non-gimmick' of this rule yesterday.. of why any sports team, getting their butts handed to them all day should even earn a chance?

    Vincent replied "The NFL is a 60 minute 'entertainment' business" Get Out! before we can build 20 point comeback Targets?       

    Edit--i get my fair share of rule changes just flipping on a browns game weekly..why risk anymore? 

    The refs have seemed to come up with new rules from time to time to keep the Browns from winning.   Going back to the Bottle game. 

  • New Rule:  # 119B  -   The bench area for each sideline will be extended beyond each goal line so as to offer social distancing during anthems.