Best NFL player by position, by P-5 conference
-
Heard something about this on the radio today. Thought I would put it to the test: Who is the best player at each position to come out of each Power 5 Conference (as currently constituted). Here is my list. Let us know if you have alternative thoughts:
Quarterbacks:
Big Ten: Tom Brady, Michigan
Pac 12: John Elway Stanford
SEC: Peyton Manning, Tennessee
ACC: Dan Marino, Pitt
Big 12: Bobby Layne Texas (but...some day Mahomes may take this)
Take list above^^ than add Independent school ND-Joe Montana... than rank the 6 ?
ACC: Could not decide between Mike Ditka Pitt and John Mackey Syracuse... Ditka!
Big 12: Russell Okung Oklahoma check on Jammal Brown? ? Oklahoma... Redskin, 2 pro bowls and won a SB
Pace over Thomas no way. Thomas should be there. More Pro Bowls.
Pardon Gippers buckeye homerism
... am a homer too, but JT was the best LT candidate I'd ever seen coming out of any college school.. Munoz a real close 2nd... two of THe Best
EDit--- Watch for this kid next season... LT Penei Sewell-- from Oregon.. a 6'6 munster, that gives up nothing
Pardon Gippers buckeye homerism
... am a homer too, but JT was the best LT candidate I'd ever seen coming out of any college school.. Munoz a real close 2nd... two of THe Best
EDit--- Watch for this kid next season... LT Penei Sewell-- from Oregon.. a 6'6 munster, that gives up nothing
I'm just here to see how many Buckeyes Gip puts on his list
-
Pardon Gippers buckeye homerism
... am a homer too, but JT was the best LT candidate I'd ever seen coming out of any college school.. Munoz a real close 2nd... two of THe Best
EDit--- Watch for this kid next season... LT Penei Sewell-- from Oregon.. a 6'6 munster, that gives up nothing
I'm just here to see how many Buckeyes Gip puts on his list
I'm just here to see how many Buckeyes Gip puts on his list
Well I think I have one or two. I also said the Franco Harris probably deserved it over it’s George. But Jim Brown hated the way Franco Harris played so why shouldn’t I? And Joe Thomas over Orlando pace is certainly arguable. A tough choice. There I think we’re a couple of other guys to who might’ve been there. With the receivers I got it down to either Warfield or Carter both buckeyes. Is there someone else that could’ve been in there instead?
-
If I was a real homer I would’ve picked Otto Graham from Northwestern over Tom Brady. Maybe I should?
I tried to be completely objective....except on the Franco choice...and I clearly stated that I was being biased there.
-
In researching this I was surprised to see how few wide receivers came out of the SEC. I think Lance Alworth from Arkansas was the only Hall of Famer. And like I said eventually Julio Jones will probably take over the top spot there by the end of his career. The ACC however had a ton of great wide receivers. Especially Miami Florida
-
If I was a real homer I would’ve picked Otto Graham from Northwestern over Tom Brady. Maybe I should?
I tried to be completely objective....except on the Franco choice...and I clearly stated that I was being biased there.
If I was a real homer I would’ve picked Otto Graham from Northwestern over Tom Brady. Maybe I should?
You can do as you please. Living with orange and brown blinders on is part of your MO as well
-
If I was a real homer I would’ve picked Otto Graham from Northwestern over Tom Brady. Maybe I should?
You can do as you please. Living with orange and brown blinders on is part of your MO as well
You can do as you please. Living with orange and brown blinders on is part of your MO as well
Says the guy who posts nonstop regaling us about whatever mediocre TTUN player is on the Browns roster.
Pot, meet kettle. ?
-
You can do as you please. Living with orange and brown blinders on is part of your MO as well
Says the guy who posts nonstop regaling us about whatever mediocre TTUN player is on the Browns roster.
Pot, meet kettle. ?
Says the guy who posts nonstop regaling us about whatever mediocre TTUN player is on the Browns roster.
Pot, meet kettle. ?
I think when all was said and done Gip made more posts in the DPJ thread than me haha
-
Says the guy who posts nonstop regaling us about whatever mediocre TTUN player is on the Browns roster.
Pot, meet kettle. ?
I think when all was said and done Gip made more posts in the DPJ thread than me haha
I think when all was said and done Gip made more posts in the DPJ thread than me haha
Well THAT's a given too ?
-
Heard something about this on the radio today. Thought I would put it to the test: Who is the best player at each position to come out of each Power 5 Conference (as currently constituted). Here is my list. Let us know if you have alternative thoughts:
Quarterbacks:
Big Ten: Tom Brady, Michigan
Pac 12: John Elway Stanford
SEC: Peyton Manning, Tennessee
ACC: Dan Marino, Pitt
Big 12: Bobby Layne Texas (but...some day Mahomes may take this)
Take list above^^ than add Independent school ND-Joe Montana... than rank the 6 ?
ACC: Could not decide between Mike Ditka Pitt and John Mackey Syracuse... Ditka!
Big 12: Russell Okung Oklahoma check on Jammal Brown? ? Oklahoma... Redskin, 2 pro bowls and won a SB
Pace over Thomas no way. Thomas should be there. More Pro Bowls.
Pardon Gippers buckeye homerism
... am a homer too, but JT was the best LT candidate I'd ever seen coming out of any college school.. Munoz a real close 2nd... two of THe Best
EDit--- Watch for this kid next season... LT Penei Sewell-- from Oregon.. a 6'6 munster, that gives up nothing
Pardon Gippers buckeye homerism
... am a homer too, but JT was the best LT candidate I'd ever seen coming out of any college school.. Munoz a real close 2nd... two of THe Best
EDit--- Watch for this kid next season... LT Penei Sewell-- from Oregon.. a 6'6 munster, that gives up nothing
If you're choosing Ditka (Pitt) over Mackey, then that would make 3 players from Pittsburgh, over one (Warfield) from OSU, and we certainly won't want that.
Gip may regret he started this thread.
-
If I was a real homer I would’ve picked Otto Graham from Northwestern over Tom Brady. Maybe I should?
You can do as you please. Living with orange and brown blinders on is part of your MO as well
You can do as you please. Living with orange and brown blinders on is part of your MO as well
You are Goddamned right I wear my Orange and Brown blinders.
That is the ONLY reason I chose Jim Brown as the best RB to come out of the ACC
and the ONLY Reason I chose Ozzie Newsome as the best TE to come out of the SEC
and the ONLY reason I chose Mike McCormack as the best OT to come out of the Big 12
And the ONLY reason I chose Paul Warfield as the best WR to come out of the Big Ten.
So....here is your challenge:
Prove that I was being a homer here....prove that I overlooked a better player at these respective positions that came from each of those conferences that did not play for the Browns.
-
Says the guy who posts nonstop regaling us about whatever mediocre TTUN player is on the Browns roster.
Pot, meet kettle. ?
I think when all was said and done Gip made more posts in the DPJ thread than me haha
I think when all was said and done Gip made more posts in the DPJ thread than me haha
I probably did. I gave Peeps, or PBJ or Sunshine Superman, or Mellow Yellow...or whatever you want to call him more attention than you....because he is now a Cleveland Brown.
Maybe I will just start calling him "Donovan".
-
Pardon Gippers buckeye homerism
... am a homer too, but JT was the best LT candidate I'd ever seen coming out of any college school.. Munoz a real close 2nd... two of THe Best
EDit--- Watch for this kid next season... LT Penei Sewell-- from Oregon.. a 6'6 munster, that gives up nothing
If you're choosing Ditka (Pitt) over Mackey, then that would make 3 players from Pittsburgh, over one (Warfield) from OSU, and we certainly won't want that.
Gip may regret he started this thread.
If you're choosing Ditka (Pitt) over Mackey, then that would make 3 players from Pittsburgh, over one (Warfield) from OSU, and we certainly won't want that.
Gip may regret he started this thread.
Not at all. I wanted this conversation thank you. Do you think that Woody will have the guts to take on the challenge I gave him? And I guess I didn't think about the fact that I picked 3 Pitt players...as many as OSU players (more if I drop Eddie George in favor of Franco)
Wait till we get to the Defense.
-
Here is the defense:
Defensive Ends:
Big Ten: Carl Eller, Univ. of Minnesota
Pac-12: Terrelll Suggs Arizona St.
SEC: Reggie White Tennessee
ACC: Bruce Smith Va. Tech
Big 12: LeRoy Selmon, Oklahoma
Defensive Tackles:
Big Ten: Randy White, Maryland
Pac 12: Curly Culp AZ St.
SEC: Dan Hampton Arkansas
ACC: Warren Sapp Miami Fla
Big 12: Bob Lilley TCU
Outside Linebacker
Big Ten: Trying to choose between Andre Tippett (Iowa), Bobby Bell (Minn.) and Jack Ham (Penn St.
Pac 12: Clay Matthews II (our Clay Matthews) USC
SEC: Derrick Thomas Alabama
ACC: Lawrence Taylor NC
Big 12: Zack Thomas Texas Tech
Middle Linebacker:
Big Ten: Dick Butkus Illinois (over fellow Ill. grad Ray Nitschke)
Pac 12: Junior Seau USC
SEC: Larry Grantham (Ole Miss)......the SEC really has NOT produced great MLBs...I had to dig hard to find him.
ACC: Ray Lewis Miami Fla
Big 12: Mike Singletary Baylor
Cornerback:
Big 10: Rod Woodson Purdue (other good ones: Herb Adderly MSU, Dick LeBeau OSU; Ty Law Mich.
Pac 12: Mike Haynes AZ St.
SEC: Champ BAiley Georgia
ACC: Deion Sanders FSU
Big 12: Aqib Talib Kansas
Safety:
Big Ten: Paul Krause Iowa
Pac 12: Ronnie Lott USC
SEC: Yale Lary Tex A&M
ACC: Ed Reed Miami
Big 12: Bobby Dillon Texas
Again, if you think I missed someone (highly possible) or if you think there could be someone better...let us know.
-
OK, so, let's look at Eddie George and Francisco Franco side by side:
George:
9 years 2865 attempts 10,441 yards 68 TDs 3.6 yards per attempt 74.0 yards per game
Franco:
13 years 2949 attempts 12,120 yards 91 TDs 4.1 ypa 70.1 ypg
Sure, OK Franco has 4 SBs.....but I suggest that if Eddie were on those Steelers, he would have done as well or better.
Also....take note: Franco had 9505 yards after his 9th season....where George retired after 9 seasons with 10, 441. (of course longevity also counts). But then....George was obviously carrying the load far more than Franco...as he is less than 100 attempts short of Franco in those 4 fewer years.
(Franco and George ARE the top two RBs from the Big Ten in terms of straight rushing yards)
While you have to probably give the nod to Franco.....if you were asking me to draft one of them right now based on their talent coming out of college: I am choosing George.
Also...on the other hand, before too many years I believe it will all be superfluous as Ezekiel Elliot will overtake both of them.
-
Derrick Thomas was great-no doubt. But I'd have put him in a tie with a guy still playing on a high level - Von Miller.
And who knows what Bo Jackson was going to be in the long run without that horrific injury. I think he is the greatest back I ever personally saw play the game. Emmit just
had the good fortune not to have that kind of injury early in his career.
BTW Syracuse was not ACC nor was A&M SEC when Brown and Miller went into the pros.
-
Derrick Thomas was great-no doubt. But I'd have put him in a tie with a guy still playing on a high level - Von Miller.
And who knows what Bo Jackson was going to be in the long run without that horrific injury. I think he is the greatest back I ever personally saw play the game. Emmit just
had the good fortune not to have that kind of injury early in his career.
BTW Syracuse was not ACC nor was A&M SEC when Brown and Miller went into the pros.
Derrick Thomas was great-no doubt. But I'd have put him in a tie with a guy still playing on a high level - Von Miller.
Maybe when their careers are over...not now. Even then, it may still be a homer choice on your part.
And who knows what Bo Jackson was going to be in the long run without that horrific injury. I think he is the greatest back I ever personally saw play the game. Emmit just
had the good fortune not to have that kind of injury early in his career.
I understand, still, injury can be said to have curtailed a lot of careers....but I think for this I have to go with the longer careers (its why I still had Bobby Layne over Mahomes...though someday). Bo just didn't get the chance.
BTW Syracuse was not ACC nor was A&M SEC when Brown and Miller went into the pros.
I get that last point....it is why I said to select them under the current conference alignment. There has been so much shuffling of teams in and out of various conferences. Randy White's Maryland team did not play in the Big Ten. See the above discussion about Franco. Penn St. was not Big Ten at the time he played. The one A&M guy I did pick, Yale Lary, certainly did not play in the SEC.
Maybe YOU could do a "best of the Southwest Conference". A great conference, now defunct. I think there could have been some good choices for that: Dickerson RB for SMU....etc. You do that, and I will do the MAC, my school conference.
-
Here is My Mid American Conf. All NFL team. It actually stacks up pretty darn well with the P-5 :
Offense:
Quarterback: Ben Roethlisberger, Miami, Oh (will be HOF
RB Kareem Hunt Toledo (alternate full career: Michael Turner No. Illinois)
WR: Antonio Brown Central Michigan (note, Marshall was in MAC when Randy Moss played...but is not now and I am just going by current lineup)
TE: Antonio Gates Kent St. (possible HOF?)
OT: Joe Staley Cent. Michigan
OC/C: Brandon Brooks Miami Oh. (currently active )
Defense:
DE: Jason Taylor, Akron HOF
DT: Andy Harmon Kent State
OLB: Khalil Mack Buffalo.....(on track for HOF?)
MLB: Jack Lambert Kent St. HOF
Safety: Emlen Tunnell Toledo HOF
Cornerback: Dwight Smith, Akron (2 Super Bowl Ints)
Special Teams: Josh Cribbs Kent St. (If they would reserve slots in HOF for ST players...Cribbs would be high on the list)
Utility: Julian Edelman Kent St.
-
More "Data" points in this regard: Of the Top 12 NFL RBs that came out of the Big Ten...in terms of career production, half of them have been from Ohio St.:
1. Franco Penn St.
2. Eddie George Ohio St.
3. Ronnie Harmon Iowa (especially good receiving back)
4. Robert Smith Ohio St.
5. Keith Byars Ohio St.
6. Mike Pruitt Purdue
7. Leveon Bell, Michigan St.....active
8. Otis Armstrong Purdue
9. John Brockington, OSU
10. Pete Johnson OSU
11. Larry Johnson Penn St..
12. Ezekiel Elliott Ohio State....active
If you were to go down to the Top 20....3 more Buckeyes would be on the list: Ron Springs, Archie Griffin, Jim Otis
But, note....the source I used only counted players whose teams were in the Big Ten at the time they played for that team; ergo, if we count all RBs who ever played for current Big Ten teams even if they weren't in the Big Ten at the time, you would probably also get the likes of these players:
Lydell Mitchell PSU
Curt Warner PSU
Ray Rice Rutgers.
-
Derrick Thomas was great-no doubt. But I'd have put him in a tie with a guy still playing on a high level - Von Miller.
Maybe when their careers are over...not now. Even then, it may still be a homer choice on your part.
And who knows what Bo Jackson was going to be in the long run without that horrific injury. I think he is the greatest back I ever personally saw play the game. Emmit just
had the good fortune not to have that kind of injury early in his career.
I understand, still, injury can be said to have curtailed a lot of careers....but I think for this I have to go with the longer careers (its why I still had Bobby Layne over Mahomes...though someday). Bo just didn't get the chance.
BTW Syracuse was not ACC nor was A&M SEC when Brown and Miller went into the pros.
I get that last point....it is why I said to select them under the current conference alignment. There has been so much shuffling of teams in and out of various conferences. Randy White's Maryland team did not play in the Big Ten. See the above discussion about Franco. Penn St. was not Big Ten at the time he played. The one A&M guy I did pick, Yale Lary, certainly did not play in the SEC.
Maybe YOU could do a "best of the Southwest Conference". A great conference, now defunct. I think there could have been some good choices for that: Dickerson RB for SMU....etc. You do that, and I will do the MAC, my school conference.
I get that last point....it is why I said to select them under the current conference alignment. There has been so much shuffling of teams in and out of various conferences. Randy White's Maryland team did not play in the Big Ten. See the above discussion about Franco. Penn St. was not Big Ten at the time he played. The one A&M guy I did pick, Yale Lary, certainly did not play in the SEC.
Maybe YOU could do a "best of the Southwest Conference". A great conference, now defunct. I think there could have been some good choices for that: Dickerson RB for SMU....etc. You do that, and I will do the MAC, my school conference.
It would be Dickerson vs Earl-two really great pros.
-
More "Data" points in this regard: Of the Top 12 NFL RBs that came out of the Big Ten...in terms of career production, half of them have been from Ohio St.:
1. Franco Penn St.
2. Eddie George Ohio St.
3. Ronnie Harmon Iowa (especially good receiving back)
4. Robert Smith Ohio St.
5. Keith Byars Ohio St.
6. Mike Pruitt Purdue
7. Leveon Bell, Michigan St.....active
8. Otis Armstrong Purdue
9. John Brockington, OSU
10. Pete Johnson OSU
11. Larry Johnson Penn St..
12. Ezekiel Elliott Ohio State....active
If you were to go down to the Top 20....3 more Buckeyes would be on the list: Ron Springs, Archie Griffin, Jim Otis
But, note....the source I used only counted players whose teams were in the Big Ten at the time they played for that team; ergo, if we count all RBs who ever played for current Big Ten teams even if they weren't in the Big Ten at the time, you would probably also get the likes of these players:
Lydell Mitchell PSU
Curt Warner PSU
Ray Rice Rutgers.
More "Data" points in this regard: Of the Top 12 NFL RBs that came out of the Big Ten...in terms of career production, half of them have been from Ohio St.:
1. Franco Penn St.
2. Eddie George Ohio St.
3. Ronnie Harmon Iowa (especially good receiving back)
4. Robert Smith Ohio St.
5. Keith Byars Ohio St.
6. Mike Pruitt Purdue
7. Leveon Bell, Michigan St.....active
8. Otis Armstrong Purdue
9. John Brockington, OSU
10. Pete Johnson OSU
11. Larry Johnson Penn St.....active
12. Ezekiel Elliott Ohio State....active
If you were to go down to the Top 20....3 more Buckeyes would be on the list: Ron Springs, Archie Griffin, Jim Otis
But, note....the source I used only counted players whose teams were in the Big Ten at the time they played for that team; ergo, if we count all RBs who ever played for current Big Ten teams even if they weren't in the Big Ten at the time, you would probably also get the likes of these players:
Lydell Mitchell PSU
Curt Warner PSU
Ray Rice Rutgers.
Larry Johnson is active?
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login