Skip to content

Best NFL player by position, by P-5 conference

The Browns Board
45 8 834
  • @gumby73 said:

    Pardon Gippers buckeye homerism😉... am a homer too, but JT was the best LT candidate I'd ever seen coming out of any college school.. Munoz a real close 2nd... two of THe Best  

    EDit--- Watch for this kid next season... LT Penei Sewell-- from Oregon.. a 6'6 munster, that gives up nothing

    If you're choosing Ditka (Pitt) over Mackey, then that would make 3 players from Pittsburgh, over one (Warfield) from OSU, and we certainly won't want that.

    Gip may regret he started this thread.

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #15

    @gorka said:

    If you're choosing Ditka (Pitt) over Mackey, then that would make 3 players from Pittsburgh, over one (Warfield) from OSU, and we certainly won't want that.

    Gip may regret he started this thread.

    Not at all. I wanted this conversation thank you.   Do you think that Woody will have the guts to take on the challenge I gave him?  And  I guess I didn't think about the fact that I picked 3 Pitt players...as many as OSU players  (more if I drop Eddie George in favor of  Franco)

    Wait till we get to the Defense. 

  • The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #16

    Here is the defense:

    Defensive  Ends:

    Big Ten:  Carl Eller,  Univ. of Minnesota

    Pac-12:  Terrelll Suggs   Arizona St.

    SEC:  Reggie White  Tennessee

    ACC:  Bruce Smith   Va. Tech

    Big 12:  LeRoy Selmon, Oklahoma

    Defensive Tackles:

    Big Ten: Randy White,  Maryland

    Pac 12:  Curly Culp  AZ St.

    SEC:  Dan Hampton  Arkansas

    ACC:  Warren Sapp  Miami Fla

    Big 12:   Bob Lilley  TCU

    Outside Linebacker

    Big Ten:  Trying to choose between  Andre Tippett (Iowa), Bobby Bell (Minn.) and Jack Ham  (Penn St.

    Pac 12:  Clay Matthews II   (our Clay Matthews) USC

    SEC:  Derrick Thomas  Alabama

    ACC:  Lawrence Taylor  NC

    Big 12:  Zack Thomas Texas Tech

    Middle Linebacker:

    Big Ten:  Dick Butkus Illinois  (over fellow Ill. grad Ray Nitschke)

    Pac 12: Junior Seau   USC

    SEC:  Larry Grantham  (Ole Miss)......the SEC really has NOT produced great MLBs...I had to dig hard to find him.

    ACC:  Ray Lewis  Miami Fla

    Big 12:  Mike Singletary Baylor

    Cornerback:

    Big 10:  Rod Woodson Purdue   (other good ones: Herb Adderly MSU, Dick LeBeau OSU; Ty Law Mich.

    Pac 12:  Mike Haynes  AZ  St.

    SEC:  Champ BAiley  Georgia

    ACC:  Deion Sanders  FSU

    Big 12:  Aqib Talib  Kansas

    Safety:

    Big Ten:   Paul Krause  Iowa

    Pac 12:  Ronnie Lott  USC

    SEC:  Yale Lary  Tex A&M

    ACC:  Ed Reed  Miami

    Big 12:  Bobby Dillon  Texas

    Again, if you think I missed someone (highly possible)  or if you think there could be someone better...let us know. 

  • The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by The Gipper
    #17

    OK,  so, let's look at  Eddie George and  Francisco Franco  side by side:

    George:

    9 years    2865 attempts   10,441 yards  68 TDs   3.6 yards per attempt  74.0  yards per game

    Franco:

    13 years 2949 attempts  12,120 yards  91 TDs  4.1 ypa   70.1 ypg

    Sure, OK Franco has 4 SBs.....but I suggest that if Eddie were on those Steelers, he would have done as well or better. 

    Also....take note:  Franco had  9505 yards  after his 9th season....where George retired after 9 seasons with  10, 441. (of course longevity also counts).   But then....George was obviously carrying the load far more than Franco...as he is less than 100 attempts short of Franco in those 4 fewer years. 

    (Franco and George ARE the top two RBs from the Big Ten in terms of straight rushing yards)

    While you have to probably give the nod to  Franco.....if you were asking me to draft one of them right now based on their talent coming out of college:  I am choosing George.

    Also...on the other hand,  before too many years I believe it will all be superfluous as  Ezekiel Elliot will overtake both of them. 

  • T TexasAg1969 wrote on last edited by
    #18

    Derrick Thomas was great-no doubt. But I'd have put him in a tie with a guy still playing on a high level - Von Miller.

    And who knows what Bo Jackson was going to be in the long run without that horrific injury. I think he is the greatest back I ever personally saw play the game. Emmit just

    had the good fortune not to have that kind of injury early in his career.

    BTW Syracuse was not ACC nor was A&M SEC when Brown and Miller went into the pros.

  • Derrick Thomas was great-no doubt. But I'd have put him in a tie with a guy still playing on a high level - Von Miller.

    And who knows what Bo Jackson was going to be in the long run without that horrific injury. I think he is the greatest back I ever personally saw play the game. Emmit just

    had the good fortune not to have that kind of injury early in his career.

    BTW Syracuse was not ACC nor was A&M SEC when Brown and Miller went into the pros.

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #19

    @texasag1969 said:

    Derrick Thomas was great-no doubt. But I'd have put him in a tie with a guy still playing on a high level - Von Miller.

    Maybe when their careers are over...not now. Even then, it may still be a homer choice on your part. 

    And who knows what Bo Jackson was going to be in the long run without that horrific injury. I think he is the greatest back I ever personally saw play the game. Emmit just

    had the good fortune not to have that kind of injury early in his career.

    I understand,  still, injury can be said to have curtailed a lot of careers....but I think for this I have to go with the longer careers  (its why I still had Bobby Layne over Mahomes...though someday).  Bo just didn't get the chance. 

    BTW Syracuse was not ACC nor was A&M SEC when Brown and Miller went into the pros.

    I get that last point....it is why I said to select them under the current conference alignment.  There has been so much shuffling of teams in and out of various conferences.  Randy White's  Maryland team did not play in the Big Ten.  See the above discussion about Franco.  Penn St. was not Big Ten at the time he played.     The one A&M guy I did pick, Yale Lary, certainly did not play in the SEC. 

    Maybe YOU could do a "best of the Southwest Conference".   A great conference, now defunct.  I think there could have been some good choices for that:    Dickerson RB for SMU....etc.    You do that,  and I will do the MAC, my school conference.

  • The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by The Gipper
    #20

    Here is My  Mid American Conf.   All NFL team.    It actually stacks up pretty darn well with the P-5 :

    Offense: 

    Quarterback:    Ben Roethlisberger,  Miami, Oh  (will be HOF

    RB  Kareem Hunt   Toledo   (alternate full career:  Michael Turner No. Illinois)

    WR:   Antonio Brown  Central Michigan    (note, Marshall was in MAC when Randy Moss played...but is not now and I am just going by current lineup)

    TE:  Antonio Gates  Kent St.  (possible HOF?)

    OT:  Joe Staley  Cent. Michigan

    OC/C:  Brandon Brooks  Miami Oh.   (currently active )

    Defense:

    DE:   Jason Taylor,   Akron   HOF

    DT:  Andy Harmon  Kent State

    OLB:  Khalil Mack   Buffalo.....(on track for HOF?)

    MLB:  Jack Lambert  Kent St.   HOF

    Safety:  Emlen Tunnell   Toledo   HOF

    Cornerback: Dwight Smith, Akron    (2 Super Bowl Ints)

    Special Teams:    Josh Cribbs  Kent St.    (If they would reserve slots in HOF for ST players...Cribbs would be high on the list)

    Utility:  Julian Edelman Kent St. 

  • The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by The Gipper
    #21

    More "Data" points in this regard:    Of the Top 12  NFL RBs that came out of the Big Ten...in terms of career production,  half of them have been from Ohio St.:

    1. Franco  Penn St.

    2. Eddie George  Ohio St.

    3. Ronnie Harmon   Iowa  (especially good receiving back)

    4. Robert Smith Ohio St.

    5. Keith Byars  Ohio St.

    6. Mike Pruitt  Purdue

    7. Leveon Bell, Michigan St.....active

    8. Otis Armstrong Purdue

    9. John Brockington,  OSU

    10. Pete Johnson  OSU

    11. Larry Johnson  Penn St..

    12. Ezekiel Elliott  Ohio State....active

    If you were to go down to the Top 20....3 more Buckeyes would be on the list:   Ron Springs, Archie Griffin,  Jim Otis

    But, note....the source I used only counted  players whose teams were in the Big Ten at the time they played for that team;   ergo, if we count all  RBs who ever played for current Big Ten teams even if they weren't in the Big Ten at the time,  you would probably also get the likes of these players:

    Lydell Mitchell PSU

    Curt Warner PSU

    Ray Rice  Rutgers.

  • @texasag1969 said:

    Derrick Thomas was great-no doubt. But I'd have put him in a tie with a guy still playing on a high level - Von Miller.

    Maybe when their careers are over...not now. Even then, it may still be a homer choice on your part. 

    And who knows what Bo Jackson was going to be in the long run without that horrific injury. I think he is the greatest back I ever personally saw play the game. Emmit just

    had the good fortune not to have that kind of injury early in his career.

    I understand,  still, injury can be said to have curtailed a lot of careers....but I think for this I have to go with the longer careers  (its why I still had Bobby Layne over Mahomes...though someday).  Bo just didn't get the chance. 

    BTW Syracuse was not ACC nor was A&M SEC when Brown and Miller went into the pros.

    I get that last point....it is why I said to select them under the current conference alignment.  There has been so much shuffling of teams in and out of various conferences.  Randy White's  Maryland team did not play in the Big Ten.  See the above discussion about Franco.  Penn St. was not Big Ten at the time he played.     The one A&M guy I did pick, Yale Lary, certainly did not play in the SEC. 

    Maybe YOU could do a "best of the Southwest Conference".   A great conference, now defunct.  I think there could have been some good choices for that:    Dickerson RB for SMU....etc.    You do that,  and I will do the MAC, my school conference.

    T TexasAg1969 wrote on last edited by
    #22

    @the-gipper said:

    I get that last point....it is why I said to select them under the current conference alignment.  There has been so much shuffling of teams in and out of various conferences.  Randy White's  Maryland team did not play in the Big Ten.  See the above discussion about Franco.  Penn St. was not Big Ten at the time he played.     The one A&M guy I did pick, Yale Lary, certainly did not play in the SEC. 

    Maybe YOU could do a "best of the Southwest Conference".   A great conference, now defunct.  I think there could have been some good choices for that:    Dickerson RB for SMU....etc.    You do that,  and I will do the MAC, my school conference.

    It would be Dickerson vs Earl-two really great pros.

  • More "Data" points in this regard:    Of the Top 12  NFL RBs that came out of the Big Ten...in terms of career production,  half of them have been from Ohio St.:

    1. Franco  Penn St.

    2. Eddie George  Ohio St.

    3. Ronnie Harmon   Iowa  (especially good receiving back)

    4. Robert Smith Ohio St.

    5. Keith Byars  Ohio St.

    6. Mike Pruitt  Purdue

    7. Leveon Bell, Michigan St.....active

    8. Otis Armstrong Purdue

    9. John Brockington,  OSU

    10. Pete Johnson  OSU

    11. Larry Johnson  Penn St..

    12. Ezekiel Elliott  Ohio State....active

    If you were to go down to the Top 20....3 more Buckeyes would be on the list:   Ron Springs, Archie Griffin,  Jim Otis

    But, note....the source I used only counted  players whose teams were in the Big Ten at the time they played for that team;   ergo, if we count all  RBs who ever played for current Big Ten teams even if they weren't in the Big Ten at the time,  you would probably also get the likes of these players:

    Lydell Mitchell PSU

    Curt Warner PSU

    Ray Rice  Rutgers.

    MLD WoodyM MLD Woody wrote on last edited by
    #23

    @the-gipper said:

    More "Data" points in this regard:    Of the Top 12  NFL RBs that came out of the Big Ten...in terms of career production,  half of them have been from Ohio St.:

    1. Franco  Penn St.

    2. Eddie George  Ohio St.

    3. Ronnie Harmon   Iowa  (especially good receiving back)

    4. Robert Smith Ohio St.

    5. Keith Byars  Ohio St.

    6. Mike Pruitt  Purdue

    7. Leveon Bell, Michigan St.....active

    8. Otis Armstrong Purdue

    9. John Brockington,  OSU

    10. Pete Johnson  OSU

    11. Larry Johnson  Penn St.....active

    12. Ezekiel Elliott  Ohio State....active

    If you were to go down to the Top 20....3 more Buckeyes would be on the list:   Ron Springs, Archie Griffin,  Jim Otis

    But, note....the source I used only counted  players whose teams were in the Big Ten at the time they played for that team;   ergo, if we count all  RBs who ever played for current Big Ten teams even if they weren't in the Big Ten at the time,  you would probably also get the likes of these players:

    Lydell Mitchell PSU

    Curt Warner PSU

    Ray Rice  Rutgers.

    Larry Johnson is active?

  • @the-gipper said:

    More "Data" points in this regard:    Of the Top 12  NFL RBs that came out of the Big Ten...in terms of career production,  half of them have been from Ohio St.:

    1. Franco  Penn St.

    2. Eddie George  Ohio St.

    3. Ronnie Harmon   Iowa  (especially good receiving back)

    4. Robert Smith Ohio St.

    5. Keith Byars  Ohio St.

    6. Mike Pruitt  Purdue

    7. Leveon Bell, Michigan St.....active

    8. Otis Armstrong Purdue

    9. John Brockington,  OSU

    10. Pete Johnson  OSU

    11. Larry Johnson  Penn St.....active

    12. Ezekiel Elliott  Ohio State....active

    If you were to go down to the Top 20....3 more Buckeyes would be on the list:   Ron Springs, Archie Griffin,  Jim Otis

    But, note....the source I used only counted  players whose teams were in the Big Ten at the time they played for that team;   ergo, if we count all  RBs who ever played for current Big Ten teams even if they weren't in the Big Ten at the time,  you would probably also get the likes of these players:

    Lydell Mitchell PSU

    Curt Warner PSU

    Ray Rice  Rutgers.

    Larry Johnson is active?

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by The Gipper
    #24

    @mld-woody said:

    Larry Johnson is active?

    Wait,   Wasn't he the one that was just traded from the Cards to  Houston in the Hopkins trade? 

    Let's check....I guess I am thinking of the wrong guy.   David Johnson. 

    What the hell....who can tell one Johnson from another....Larry, Lyndon, David, Andrew, 😆

    Call a porn star...she can have a Johnson in each hand...and other places.

  • @the-gipper said:

    I get that last point....it is why I said to select them under the current conference alignment.  There has been so much shuffling of teams in and out of various conferences.  Randy White's  Maryland team did not play in the Big Ten.  See the above discussion about Franco.  Penn St. was not Big Ten at the time he played.     The one A&M guy I did pick, Yale Lary, certainly did not play in the SEC. 

    Maybe YOU could do a "best of the Southwest Conference".   A great conference, now defunct.  I think there could have been some good choices for that:    Dickerson RB for SMU....etc.    You do that,  and I will do the MAC, my school conference.

    It would be Dickerson vs Earl-two really great pros.

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #25

    @texasag1969 said:

    It would be Dickerson vs Earl-two really great pros.

    OK, you got the RBs....now give us your SW conf. best QB, WR/TE/OT/OG-C/DT/DE/MLB/OLB/S/CB.

    Tommy Nobis?   Was Baylor in the SWC?  

  • Here is My  Mid American Conf.   All NFL team.    It actually stacks up pretty darn well with the P-5 :

    Offense: 

    Quarterback:    Ben Roethlisberger,  Miami, Oh  (will be HOF

    RB  Kareem Hunt   Toledo   (alternate full career:  Michael Turner No. Illinois)

    WR:   Antonio Brown  Central Michigan    (note, Marshall was in MAC when Randy Moss played...but is not now and I am just going by current lineup)

    TE:  Antonio Gates  Kent St.  (possible HOF?)

    OT:  Joe Staley  Cent. Michigan

    OC/C:  Brandon Brooks  Miami Oh.   (currently active )

    Defense:

    DE:   Jason Taylor,   Akron   HOF

    DT:  Andy Harmon  Kent State

    OLB:  Khalil Mack   Buffalo.....(on track for HOF?)

    MLB:  Jack Lambert  Kent St.   HOF

    Safety:  Emlen Tunnell   Toledo   HOF

    Cornerback: Dwight Smith, Akron    (2 Super Bowl Ints)

    Special Teams:    Josh Cribbs  Kent St.    (If they would reserve slots in HOF for ST players...Cribbs would be high on the list)

    Utility:  Julian Edelman Kent St. 

    gumby73G gumby73 wrote on last edited by gumby73
    #26

    @the-gipper said:

    OT:  Joe Staley  Cent. Michigan .... OT Eric Fisher Cent. Mich.//// KC  (central does know how to recruit some good back-2-back Tackles)

    OC/C:  Brandon Brooks  Miami Oh.   (currently active ) ... OG -TJ Lang Eastern Mich. ////GB 

    Defense:

    OLB:  Khalil Mack   Buffalo.....(on track for HOF?) ... OLB- James Harrison ? Kent ST.// 5 PB's & 2 SB rings//// (could be jailed, in the bumble-bee 3rd jersey by now)

    Cornerback: Dwight Smith, Akron    (2 Super Bowl Ints) .... CB- Jimmy Ward N. Illinois// 49'ers  

    Good list Gip.... I could only find these MAC men^^ that might raise a small position debate...  

  • @the-gipper said:

    OT:  Joe Staley  Cent. Michigan .... OT Eric Fisher Cent. Mich.//// KC  (central does know how to recruit some good back-2-back Tackles)

    OC/C:  Brandon Brooks  Miami Oh.   (currently active ) ... OG -TJ Lang Eastern Mich. ////GB 

    Defense:

    OLB:  Khalil Mack   Buffalo.....(on track for HOF?) ... OLB- James Harrison ? Kent ST.// 5 PB's & 2 SB rings//// (could be jailed, in the bumble-bee 3rd jersey by now)

    Cornerback: Dwight Smith, Akron    (2 Super Bowl Ints) .... CB- Jimmy Ward N. Illinois// 49'ers  

    Good list Gip.... I could only find these MAC men^^ that might raise a small position debate...  

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #27

    @gumby73 said:

    Good list Gip.... I could only find these MAC men^^ that might raise a small position debate...  

    I know Eric Fisher was the #1 overall pick....but hasn't he been kind of a bust?  Staley was quite good. 

    I would not put Harrison over Mack...even ignoring Harrison's thuggery.

    Not sure about Lang and Ward...not familiar with them. 

  • @texasag1969 said:

    It would be Dickerson vs Earl-two really great pros.

    OK, you got the RBs....now give us your SW conf. best QB, WR/TE/OT/OG-C/DT/DE/MLB/OLB/S/CB.

    Tommy Nobis?   Was Baylor in the SWC?  

    T TexasAg1969 wrote on last edited by
    #28

    @the-gipper said:

    OK, you got the RBs....now give us your SW conf. best QB, WR/TE/OT/OG-C/DT/DE/MLB/OLB/S/CB.

    Tommy Nobis?   Was Baylor in the SWC?  

    Yes Baylor was SWC. I'll work on the rest tomorrow.

  • @gumby73 said:

    Good list Gip.... I could only find these MAC men^^ that might raise a small position debate...  

    I know Eric Fisher was the #1 overall pick....but hasn't he been kind of a bust?  Staley was quite good. 

    I would not put Harrison over Mack...even ignoring Harrison's thuggery.

    Not sure about Lang and Ward...not familiar with them. 

    gumby73G gumby73 wrote on last edited by gumby73
    #29

    @the-gipper said:

    I know Eric Fisher was the #1 overall pick....but hasn't he been kind of a bust?  Staley was quite good. 

    the Chiefs were 2-14 before hiring Dorsey. Andy Reid was already in house and JD & Reid decided trading for QB Alex Smith was better than drafting one.. Fisher may have come from a draft class of nfl average Joe's? #1 pick Eric Fisher even admits his early struggles in this link..  https://si.com/nfl/chiefs/news/eric-fisher-battled-test-super-bowl   so let's not settle on thinking Jedrick Wills or Andrew Thomas will have it any easier.. It's not on them either, that training camps can't even open. Big-Trust in Bill Callahan

    KC adding Mitchell Schwartz & upgrading the interior OL finished KC's land of QB toys.. I'd even say, Cam Erving got better OL coaching just to get to average. Than still got KC fired at SB ending not matching up to what's coming up behind him.. it's what good teams do...and Good Luck Dallas. Erving will be there to get Dak back up... 

    but Sure... I'd put Joe Staley ahead of Eric Fisher.         either Joe Thomas level? NopE !! 

  • Heard something about this on the radio today.   Thought I would put it to the test:  Who is the best player at each position to come out of each Power 5 Conference (as currently constituted).    Here is my list.   Let us know if you have alternative thoughts:

    Quarterbacks:

    Big Ten:  Tom Brady, Michigan

    Pac 12:  John Elway Stanford

    SEC:  Peyton Manning, Tennessee

    ACC:  Dan Marino,  Pitt

    Big 12:   Bobby Layne  Texas     (but...some day Mahomes may take this)

    Running Backs:

    Big Ten:   Eddie George  Ohio St.   (though...I may have to relent and name Franco Harris...convince me I am right)

    Pac 12:  OJ Simpson  USC

    SEC:  Emmitt Smith  Florida

    ACC:  Jim Brown  Syracuse

    Big 12:  Barry Sanders  OK St.

    Wide Receivers:

    Big Ten: Paul Warfield Ohio St   (by a scoche over Cris Carter)

    Pac 12: James Lofton  Stanford

    SEC:  Lance Alworth  Arkansas    (Julio Jones though may take over before career ends)

    ACC:  Larry Fitzgerald  Pitt

    Big 12:  Tommy McDonald  OK

    Tight Ends

    Big Ten  Charlie Sanders   Minnesota

    Pac 12: Tony Gonzales  Cal

    SEC:   Ozzie Newsome  Alabama

    ACC:   Could not decide between Mike Ditka Pitt and John Mackey Syracuse

    Big 12:  Keith Jackson  OK

    Offensive Tackle: 

    Big Ten:  Orlando Pace  Ohio St. 

    Pac 12: Anthony Munoz  USC

    SEC: Lomas Brown  Florida

    ACC:  Walter Jones  FSU

    Big 12:  Mike McCormack  Kansas

    OCs/OGs

    Big Ten:   Mike Webster  Wisconsin

    Pac 12:  Bruce Matthews  USC

    SEC:  John Hannah  Alabama

    Big 12:  Russell Okung  Oklahoma

    Defense later. 

    ballpeenB ballpeen wrote on last edited by
    #30

    @the-gipper said:

    Heard something about this on the radio today.   Thought I would put it to the test:  Who is the best player at each position to come out of each Power 5 Conference (as currently constituted).    Here is my list.   Let us know if you have alternative thoughts:

    Quarterbacks:

    Big Ten:  Tom Brady, Michigan

    Pac 12:  John Elway Stanford

    SEC:  Peyton Manning, Tennessee

    ACC:  Dan Marino,  Pitt

    Big 12:   Bobby Layne  Texas     (but...some day Mahomes may take this)

    Running Backs:

    Big Ten:   Eddie George  Ohio St.   (though...I may have to relent and name Franco Harris...convince me I am right)

    Pac 12:  OJ Simpson  USC

    SEC:  Emmitt Smith  Florida

    ACC:  Jim Brown  Syracuse

    Big 12:  Barry Sanders  OK St.

    Wide Receivers:

    Big Ten: Paul Warfield Ohio St   (by a scoche over Cris Carter)

    Pac 12: James Lofton  Stanford

    SEC:  Lance Alworth  Arkansas    (Julio Jones though may take over before career ends)

    ACC:  Larry Fitzgerald  Pitt

    Big 12:  Tommy McDonald  OK

    Tight Ends

    Big Ten  Charlie Sanders   Minnesota

    Pac 12: Tony Gonzales  Cal

    SEC:   Ozzie Newsome  Alabama

    ACC:   Could not decide between Mike Ditka Pitt and John Mackey Syracuse

    Big 12:  Keith Jackson  OK

    Offensive Tackle: 

    Big Ten:  Orlando Pace  Ohio St. 

    Pac 12: Anthony Munoz  USC

    SEC: Lomas Brown  Florida

    ACC:  Walter Jones  FSU

    Big 12:  Mike McCormack  Kansas

    OCs/OGs

    Big Ten:   Mike Webster  Wisconsin

    Pac 12:  Bruce Matthews  USC

    SEC:  John Hannah  Alabama

    Big 12:  Russell Okung  Oklahoma

    Defense later. 

    I might put Megatron over Fitz

  • @the-gipper said:

    I know Eric Fisher was the #1 overall pick....but hasn't he been kind of a bust?  Staley was quite good. 

    the Chiefs were 2-14 before hiring Dorsey. Andy Reid was already in house and JD & Reid decided trading for QB Alex Smith was better than drafting one.. Fisher may have come from a draft class of nfl average Joe's? #1 pick Eric Fisher even admits his early struggles in this link..  https://si.com/nfl/chiefs/news/eric-fisher-battled-test-super-bowl   so let's not settle on thinking Jedrick Wills or Andrew Thomas will have it any easier.. It's not on them either, that training camps can't even open. Big-Trust in Bill Callahan

    KC adding Mitchell Schwartz & upgrading the interior OL finished KC's land of QB toys.. I'd even say, Cam Erving got better OL coaching just to get to average. Than still got KC fired at SB ending not matching up to what's coming up behind him.. it's what good teams do...and Good Luck Dallas. Erving will be there to get Dak back up... 

    but Sure... I'd put Joe Staley ahead of Eric Fisher.         either Joe Thomas level? NopE !! 

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #31

    @gumby73 said:

    the Chiefs were 2-14 before hiring Dorsey. Andy Reid was already in house and JD & Reid decided trading for QB Alex Smith was better than drafting one.. Fisher may have come from a draft class of nfl average Joe's? #1 pick Eric Fisher even admits his early struggles in this link..  https://si.com/nfl/chiefs/news/eric-fisher-battled-test-super-bowl   so let's not settle on thinking Jedrick Wills or Andrew Thomas will have it any easier.. It's not on them either, that training camps can't even open. Big-Trust in Bill Callahan

    KC adding Mitchell Schwartz & upgrading the interior OL finished KC's land of QB toys.. I'd even say, Cam Erving got better OL coaching just to get to average. Than still got KC fired at SB ending not matching up to what's coming up behind him.. it's what good teams do...and Good Luck Dallas. Erving will be there to get Dak back up... 

    but Sure... I'd put Joe Staley ahead of Eric Fisher.         either Joe Thomas level? NopE !! 

    Well...the point there was just to say which OT was the best to come out of the MAC....not to compare them to players that came out of the Big Boys.  Staley was pretty good, but sure, not up to like  Pace/JT/Jim Parker/Munoz etc. level. 

    Though,  I will say that I was unimpressed with the OTs that have come out of the SEC as when I was searching I thought it would be a piece of cake to find great OTs from that conference....but it was not.   The best I could find was Lomas Brown....whom I highly disrespect...because he came to the Browns and just tanked and all he wanted was a paycheck. Nevertheless he was still the best I could come up with.  I think Staley is at least on a par with him.  (OGs/OCs were different....a number of great ones from SEC) 

  • @the-gipper said:

    Heard something about this on the radio today.   Thought I would put it to the test:  Who is the best player at each position to come out of each Power 5 Conference (as currently constituted).    Here is my list.   Let us know if you have alternative thoughts:

    Quarterbacks:

    Big Ten:  Tom Brady, Michigan

    Pac 12:  John Elway Stanford

    SEC:  Peyton Manning, Tennessee

    ACC:  Dan Marino,  Pitt

    Big 12:   Bobby Layne  Texas     (but...some day Mahomes may take this)

    Running Backs:

    Big Ten:   Eddie George  Ohio St.   (though...I may have to relent and name Franco Harris...convince me I am right)

    Pac 12:  OJ Simpson  USC

    SEC:  Emmitt Smith  Florida

    ACC:  Jim Brown  Syracuse

    Big 12:  Barry Sanders  OK St.

    Wide Receivers:

    Big Ten: Paul Warfield Ohio St   (by a scoche over Cris Carter)

    Pac 12: James Lofton  Stanford

    SEC:  Lance Alworth  Arkansas    (Julio Jones though may take over before career ends)

    ACC:  Larry Fitzgerald  Pitt

    Big 12:  Tommy McDonald  OK

    Tight Ends

    Big Ten  Charlie Sanders   Minnesota

    Pac 12: Tony Gonzales  Cal

    SEC:   Ozzie Newsome  Alabama

    ACC:   Could not decide between Mike Ditka Pitt and John Mackey Syracuse

    Big 12:  Keith Jackson  OK

    Offensive Tackle: 

    Big Ten:  Orlando Pace  Ohio St. 

    Pac 12: Anthony Munoz  USC

    SEC: Lomas Brown  Florida

    ACC:  Walter Jones  FSU

    Big 12:  Mike McCormack  Kansas

    OCs/OGs

    Big Ten:   Mike Webster  Wisconsin

    Pac 12:  Bruce Matthews  USC

    SEC:  John Hannah  Alabama

    Big 12:  Russell Okung  Oklahoma

    Defense later. 

    I might put Megatron over Fitz

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #32

    @ballpeen said:

    I might put Megatron over Fitz

    I debated those two in my mind....plus a couple of others from current ACC schools.  Like Michael Irvin, Andre Johnson and others.  As a whole I think the current ACC lineup has produced the best WRs.   It was probably Fitzgerald's longevity that had me put him on top. I could roll with either. 

  • Here is the defense:

    Defensive  Ends:

    Big Ten:  Carl Eller,  Univ. of Minnesota

    Pac-12:  Terrelll Suggs   Arizona St.

    SEC:  Reggie White  Tennessee

    ACC:  Bruce Smith   Va. Tech

    Big 12:  LeRoy Selmon, Oklahoma

    Defensive Tackles:

    Big Ten: Randy White,  Maryland

    Pac 12:  Curly Culp  AZ St.

    SEC:  Dan Hampton  Arkansas

    ACC:  Warren Sapp  Miami Fla

    Big 12:   Bob Lilley  TCU

    Outside Linebacker

    Big Ten:  Trying to choose between  Andre Tippett (Iowa), Bobby Bell (Minn.) and Jack Ham  (Penn St.

    Pac 12:  Clay Matthews II   (our Clay Matthews) USC

    SEC:  Derrick Thomas  Alabama

    ACC:  Lawrence Taylor  NC

    Big 12:  Zack Thomas Texas Tech

    Middle Linebacker:

    Big Ten:  Dick Butkus Illinois  (over fellow Ill. grad Ray Nitschke)

    Pac 12: Junior Seau   USC

    SEC:  Larry Grantham  (Ole Miss)......the SEC really has NOT produced great MLBs...I had to dig hard to find him.

    ACC:  Ray Lewis  Miami Fla

    Big 12:  Mike Singletary Baylor

    Cornerback:

    Big 10:  Rod Woodson Purdue   (other good ones: Herb Adderly MSU, Dick LeBeau OSU; Ty Law Mich.

    Pac 12:  Mike Haynes  AZ  St.

    SEC:  Champ BAiley  Georgia

    ACC:  Deion Sanders  FSU

    Big 12:  Aqib Talib  Kansas

    Safety:

    Big Ten:   Paul Krause  Iowa

    Pac 12:  Ronnie Lott  USC

    SEC:  Yale Lary  Tex A&M

    ACC:  Ed Reed  Miami

    Big 12:  Bobby Dillon  Texas

    Again, if you think I missed someone (highly possible)  or if you think there could be someone better...let us know. 

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by The Gipper
    #33

    @the-gipper said:

    Here is the defense:

    Defensive  Ends:

    Big Ten:  Carl Eller,  Univ. of Minnesota

    Pac-12:  Terrelll Suggs   Arizona St.

    SEC:  Reggie White  Tennessee

    ACC:  Bruce Smith   Va. Tech

    Big 12:  LeRoy Selmon, Oklahoma

    Defensive Tackles:

    Big Ten: Randy White,  Maryland

    Pac 12:  Curly Culp  AZ St.

    SEC:  Dan Hampton  Arkansas

    ACC:  Warren Sapp  Miami Fla

    Big 12:   Bob Lilley  TCU

    Outside Linebacker

    Big Ten:  Trying to choose between  Andre Tippett (Iowa), Bobby Bell (Minn.) and Jack Ham  (Penn St.

    Pac 12:  Clay Matthews II   (our Clay Matthews) USC

    SEC:  Derrick Thomas  Alabama

    ACC:  Lawrence Taylor  NC

    Big 12:  Zack Thomas Texas Tech

    Middle Linebacker:

    Big Ten:  Dick Butkus Illinois  (over fellow Ill. grad Ray Nitschke)

    Pac 12: Junior Seau   USC

    SEC:  Larry Grantham  (Ole Miss)......the SEC really has NOT produced great MLBs...I had to dig hard to find him.

    ACC:  Ray Lewis  Miami Fla

    Big 12:  Mike Singletary Baylor

    Cornerback:

    Big 10:  Rod Woodson Purdue   (other good ones: Herb Adderly MSU, Dick LeBeau OSU; Ty Law Mich.

    Pac 12:  Mike Haynes  AZ  St.

    SEC:  Champ BAiley  Georgia

    ACC:  Deion Sanders  FSU

    Big 12:  Aqib Talib  Kansas

    Safety:

    Big Ten:   Paul Krause  Iowa

    Pac 12:  Ronnie Lott  USC

    SEC:  Yale Lary  Tex A&M

    ACC:  Ed Reed  Miami

    Big 12:  Bobby Dillon  Texas

    Again, if you think I missed someone (highly possible)  or if you think there could be someone better...let us know. 

    On my "Homerism"   note.....not one OSU player taken.    And the only guy that played for the Browns was Clay Matthews.  

    Can anyone name an OLB that came out of the Pac 12  that was better than Clay? 

    I can find one guy who is arguable:   Lance Briggs  OLB from Arizona. But, overall I think I will stick with Clay. 

  • @the-gipper said:

    Here is the defense:

    Defensive  Ends:

    Big Ten:  Carl Eller,  Univ. of Minnesota

    Pac-12:  Terrelll Suggs   Arizona St.

    SEC:  Reggie White  Tennessee

    ACC:  Bruce Smith   Va. Tech

    Big 12:  LeRoy Selmon, Oklahoma

    Defensive Tackles:

    Big Ten: Randy White,  Maryland

    Pac 12:  Curly Culp  AZ St.

    SEC:  Dan Hampton  Arkansas

    ACC:  Warren Sapp  Miami Fla

    Big 12:   Bob Lilley  TCU

    Outside Linebacker

    Big Ten:  Trying to choose between  Andre Tippett (Iowa), Bobby Bell (Minn.) and Jack Ham  (Penn St.

    Pac 12:  Clay Matthews II   (our Clay Matthews) USC

    SEC:  Derrick Thomas  Alabama

    ACC:  Lawrence Taylor  NC

    Big 12:  Zack Thomas Texas Tech

    Middle Linebacker:

    Big Ten:  Dick Butkus Illinois  (over fellow Ill. grad Ray Nitschke)

    Pac 12: Junior Seau   USC

    SEC:  Larry Grantham  (Ole Miss)......the SEC really has NOT produced great MLBs...I had to dig hard to find him.

    ACC:  Ray Lewis  Miami Fla

    Big 12:  Mike Singletary Baylor

    Cornerback:

    Big 10:  Rod Woodson Purdue   (other good ones: Herb Adderly MSU, Dick LeBeau OSU; Ty Law Mich.

    Pac 12:  Mike Haynes  AZ  St.

    SEC:  Champ BAiley  Georgia

    ACC:  Deion Sanders  FSU

    Big 12:  Aqib Talib  Kansas

    Safety:

    Big Ten:   Paul Krause  Iowa

    Pac 12:  Ronnie Lott  USC

    SEC:  Yale Lary  Tex A&M

    ACC:  Ed Reed  Miami

    Big 12:  Bobby Dillon  Texas

    Again, if you think I missed someone (highly possible)  or if you think there could be someone better...let us know. 

    On my "Homerism"   note.....not one OSU player taken.    And the only guy that played for the Browns was Clay Matthews.  

    Can anyone name an OLB that came out of the Pac 12  that was better than Clay? 

    I can find one guy who is arguable:   Lance Briggs  OLB from Arizona. But, overall I think I will stick with Clay. 

    ballpeenB ballpeen wrote on last edited by
    #34

    @the-gipper said:

    On my "Homerism"   note.....not one OSU player taken.    And the only guy that played for the Browns was Clay Matthews.  

    Can anyone name an OLB that came out of the Pac 12  that was better than Clay? 

    I can find one guy who is arguable:   Lance Briggs  OLB from Arizona. But, overall I think I will stick with Clay. 

    @the-gipper said:

    Heard something about this on the radio today.   Thought I would put it to the test:  Who is the best player at each position to come out of each Power 5 Conference (as currently constituted).    Here is my list.   Let us know if you have alternative thoughts:

    Quarterbacks:

    Big Ten:  Tom Brady, Michigan

    Pac 12:  John Elway Stanford

    SEC:  Peyton Manning, Tennessee

    ACC:  Dan Marino,  Pitt

    Big 12:   Bobby Layne  Texas     (but...some day Mahomes may take this)

    Running Backs:

    Big Ten:   Eddie George  Ohio St.   (though...I may have to relent and name Franco Harris...convince me I am right)

    Pac 12:  OJ Simpson  USC

    SEC:  Emmitt Smith  Florida

    ACC:  Jim Brown  Syracuse

    Big 12:  Barry Sanders  OK St.

    Wide Receivers:

    Big Ten: Paul Warfield Ohio St   (by a scoche over Cris Carter)

    Pac 12: James Lofton  Stanford

    SEC:  Lance Alworth  Arkansas    (Julio Jones though may take over before career ends)

    ACC:  Larry Fitzgerald  Pitt

    Big 12:  Tommy McDonald  OK

    Tight Ends

    Big Ten  Charlie Sanders   Minnesota

    Pac 12: Tony Gonzales  Cal

    SEC:   Ozzie Newsome  Alabama

    ACC:   Could not decide between Mike Ditka Pitt and John Mackey Syracuse

    Big 12:  Keith Jackson  OK

    Offensive Tackle: 

    Big Ten:  Orlando Pace  Ohio St. 

    Pac 12: Anthony Munoz  USC

    SEC: Lomas Brown  Florida

    ACC:  Walter Jones  FSU

    Big 12:  Mike McCormack  Kansas

    OCs/OGs

    Big Ten:   Mike Webster  Wisconsin

    Pac 12:  Bruce Matthews  USC

    SEC:  John Hannah  Alabama

    Big 12:  Russell Okung  Oklahoma

    Defense later. 

    I might put Megatron over Fitz