Skip to content

Manziel happy to be done with football

The Browns Board
32 12 1.5k 1
  • jrb12711J jrb12711 wrote on last edited by
    #6

    I always root for people to turn their life around, and it seems like maybe ol' John tackle football is starting to get it. The guy obviously thought his natural talent was going to be enough to not put in the work, a lesson many dudes realize just ain't the case. Hope he continues to speak out to potentially save others from the same fate.

  • I wish him well.. But it's obvious his heart wasn't in it... He cared more about partying.... I mean.. its ok to party... Just don't make a life out of it...

    I Icecube wrote on last edited by
    #7

    @nickers said:

    I wish him well.. But it's obvious his heart wasn't in it... He cared more about partying.... I mean.. its ok to party... Just don't make a life out of it...

    I think Baker likes to party......I think Johnny had addiction problems, or at least he acted like he did. You can have fun, but putting the work in comes first. 

  • Tour2maT Tour2ma wrote on last edited by
    #8

    Fuck him.

  • I wish him well.. But it's obvious his heart wasn't in it... He cared more about partying.... I mean.. its ok to party... Just don't make a life out of it...

    mjp28M mjp28 wrote on last edited by
    #9

    @nickers said:

    I wish him well.. But it's obvious his heart wasn't in it... He cared more about partying.... I mean.. its ok to party... Just don't make a life out of it...

    One of the big risks in taking a very young inexperienced player at the most important spot in team sports NFL starting quarterback.

    And character does matter.

  • Canton DawgC Canton Dawg wrote on last edited by
    #10

    JFF isn’t nearly as happy as I am that he’s done with football.

  • JFF isn’t nearly as happy as I am that he’s done with football.

    mjp28M mjp28 wrote on last edited by
    #11

    @canton-dawg said:

    JFF isn’t nearly as happy as I am that he’s done with football.

    Let's have a JFF quitting football party !    (I'll bet he would show up.)

  • Canton MikeC Canton Mike wrote on last edited by Canton Mike
    #12

    FOOTBALL'S happy Manziel's done! (I'm happy too & I"M one of the idiots who cheered us drafting him! 😵)

    Mike

  • FOOTBALL'S happy Manziel's done! (I'm happy too & I"M one of the idiots who cheered us drafting him! 😵)

    Mike

    OrionO Orion wrote on last edited by
    #13

    @canton-mike said:

    (I'm happy too & I"M one of the idiots who cheered us drafting him! 😵)

    Well, we needed a QB...as per usual.  You trusted that they did their homework on him.  And they DID do homework on him.  And it all came up negative.  Joe Banner wonders to this day what happened to change the opinion on drafting him.  -  Personally, I think our marketing man owner wanted JFF's glitz.  And all of the trappings.  

  • FOOTBALL'S happy Manziel's done! (I'm happy too & I"M one of the idiots who cheered us drafting him! 😵)

    Mike

    nickersN nickers wrote on last edited by
    #14

    @canton-mike said:

    FOOTBALL'S happy Manziel's done! (I'm happy too & I"M one of the idiots who cheered us drafting him! 😵)

    Mike

    A lot of us were duped on that one....

  • @canton-mike said:

    (I'm happy too & I"M one of the idiots who cheered us drafting him! 😵)

    Well, we needed a QB...as per usual.  You trusted that they did their homework on him.  And they DID do homework on him.  And it all came up negative.  Joe Banner wonders to this day what happened to change the opinion on drafting him.  -  Personally, I think our marketing man owner wanted JFF's glitz.  And all of the trappings.  

    Dutch OvenD Dutch Oven wrote on last edited by
    #15

    @orion said:

    Well, we needed a QB...as per usual.  You trusted that they did their homework on him.  And they DID do homework on him.  And it all came up negative.  Joe Banner wonders to this day what happened to change the opinion on drafting him.  -  Personally, I think our marketing man owner wanted JFF's glitz.  And all of the trappings.  

    Billy Manziel's father was quoted, BEFORE THE DRAFT, that his son "drank to relieve the stress of being Johnny Football." The red flags on this kid were all over the place.  

    He is the biggest example of style over substance I've ever seen. You are dead on about the Haslams wanting the glitz surrounding him.  

  • @orion said:

    Well, we needed a QB...as per usual.  You trusted that they did their homework on him.  And they DID do homework on him.  And it all came up negative.  Joe Banner wonders to this day what happened to change the opinion on drafting him.  -  Personally, I think our marketing man owner wanted JFF's glitz.  And all of the trappings.  

    Billy Manziel's father was quoted, BEFORE THE DRAFT, that his son "drank to relieve the stress of being Johnny Football." The red flags on this kid were all over the place.  

    He is the biggest example of style over substance I've ever seen. You are dead on about the Haslams wanting the glitz surrounding him.  

    Canton MikeC Canton Mike wrote on last edited by
    #16

    @dutch-oven said:

    Billy Manziel's father was quoted, BEFORE THE DRAFT, that his son "drank to relieve the stress of being Johnny Football." The red flags on this kid were all over the place.  

    He is the biggest example of style over substance I've ever seen. You are dead on about the Haslams wanting the glitz surrounding him.  

    Good points & we have to admit, he DID provide a "spark" of sorts in Brownstown which was needed then. Of course, the red flags smothered that "spark" in short order. Somehow we survived & we're far better off that he's gone.........Lesson learned.

    Mike

  • @canton-dawg said:

    JFF isn’t nearly as happy as I am that he’s done with football.

    Let's have a JFF quitting football party !    (I'll bet he would show up.)

    Canton DawgC Canton Dawg wrote on last edited by
    #17

    @mjp28 said:

    Let's have a JFF quitting football party !    (I'll bet he would show up.)

    I bet Mike Pettine would be there as well.

  • Dutch OvenD Dutch Oven wrote on last edited by Dutch Oven
    #18

    I find it interesting how many people, to this day, seem to completely gloss over or forget about his history of domestic violence. 

    Tour nailed it - fuck him. 

  • tiamat63T tiamat63 wrote on last edited by
    #19

    At some point in the next 12 months, I'll be lacing and buckling up the pads one last time.  Stepping onto the field as a player... one last time.    And I'm sure within every little moment, while I'm having multiple thoughts rushing through my head, the one consistent will be how I'd love to turn back the hands of time 20 years and do it all over again.    

    You can ask anyone who loves the game of football, a true passion that is so very evident to all (and the microcosm of life you find within it...)      will they ever be "happy" to be done with football?   The answer will always, 10 out of 10 times, be a resounding 'NO'.      No, I'll never be happy to be done with football.  Which is why so many players go on to roles in coaching or developing future players.

    You take that small hole in your heart that now exists, the restlessness within your soul, and you translate that energy into conveying your love for this game to the kids coming up behind us.   And in a way, you live your best days all over again vicariously through watching them develop their own love of this game and those they play with and against.   

    I've always believed football to be the perfect vehicle to deliver a message to humanity, and LT said it quite well in his HOF induction speech, but to phrase my own words -   It's a game of beautiful duality where you can find men with different backgrounds, futures, faiths, creeds, ideologies & skin colors, who set aside all those differences in pursuit of a common goal to find fleeting moments of glory achieved only through shared sacrifice of blood, sweat and even occasionally some tears.

    Football should be grateful someone like Johnny Manziel is done with it, IMHO.      Frauds never last.

  • PoeticGP PoeticG wrote on last edited by
    #20

    Should have drafted Derek Carr...

  • Should have drafted Derek Carr...

    Dutch OvenD Dutch Oven wrote on last edited by Dutch Oven
    #21

    @poeticg said:

    Should have drafted Derek Carr...

    Would have been infinitely a better pick than Manziel. Carr isn't an elite QB, but he hasn't exactly been playing on a great team either. 

  • Should have drafted Derek Carr...

    nickersN nickers wrote on last edited by
    #22

    @poeticg said:

    Should have drafted Derek Carr...

    Derek Carr is underwhelming so far.. But yeah.. Given the choice...

  • mjp28M mjp28 wrote on last edited by
    #23

    Why not take the easy route here, list all of the worse picks than JFF.  😆

  • @orion said:

    Well, we needed a QB...as per usual.  You trusted that they did their homework on him.  And they DID do homework on him.  And it all came up negative.  Joe Banner wonders to this day what happened to change the opinion on drafting him.  -  Personally, I think our marketing man owner wanted JFF's glitz.  And all of the trappings.  

    Billy Manziel's father was quoted, BEFORE THE DRAFT, that his son "drank to relieve the stress of being Johnny Football." The red flags on this kid were all over the place.  

    He is the biggest example of style over substance I've ever seen. You are dead on about the Haslams wanting the glitz surrounding him.  

    I Icecube wrote on last edited by
    #24

    @dutch-oven said:

    Billy Manziel's father was quoted, BEFORE THE DRAFT, that his son "drank to relieve the stress of being Johnny Football." The red flags on this kid were all over the place.  

    He is the biggest example of style over substance I've ever seen. You are dead on about the Haslams wanting the glitz surrounding him.  

    Most every problem with this team is Mr. Jimmy's fault. 

  • @orion said:

    Well, we needed a QB...as per usual.  You trusted that they did their homework on him.  And they DID do homework on him.  And it all came up negative.  Joe Banner wonders to this day what happened to change the opinion on drafting him.  -  Personally, I think our marketing man owner wanted JFF's glitz.  And all of the trappings.  

    Billy Manziel's father was quoted, BEFORE THE DRAFT, that his son "drank to relieve the stress of being Johnny Football." The red flags on this kid were all over the place.  

    He is the biggest example of style over substance I've ever seen. You are dead on about the Haslams wanting the glitz surrounding him.  

    I Icecube wrote on last edited by
    #25

    @dutch-oven said:

    Billy Manziel's father was quoted, BEFORE THE DRAFT, that his son "drank to relieve the stress of being Johnny Football." The red flags on this kid were all over the place.  

    He is the biggest example of style over substance I've ever seen. You are dead on about the Haslams wanting the glitz surrounding him.  

    Didn't you liked the draft pick?