Skip to content

Why is Balt. good every year?

The Browns Board
98 21 2.4k
  • 1.jpg

  • @gorka said:

    Asking why Pitt is a contender every year must be getting old.

    Well, how many playoff games have the Steelers won in the last 10 years? I'm not sure 8-8 qualifies as "good." We'll see how "good" Pitt is after Ben is gone. 

    @icecube said:

    Well, how many playoff games have the Steelers won in the last 10 years? I'm not sure 8-8 qualifies as "good." We'll see how "good" Pitt is after Ben is gone. 

    Your post only questions why Balt is good and why they are always contenders, not why they have won so many playoff games.

    But to address your jumping to another point...

    In the last 10 years Baltimore has appeared in the playoffs 7 times, winning 8 times, losing 6.

    In the last 10 years Pitt has appeared in the playoffs 6 times, winning 5 times, losing 6.

    The sad thing is that those two vermin are always contenders while the two situated Ohio exist in a state of perpetual suckdom.

  • Because Ozzie paved the way..

  • They think D first.

    If you have a really good D, you are in every game.  If you give up 30+ points a game, you can't always keep up with that.  If you give up 17 or under, most teams have a shot.

    I know offense is sexy, but D is what wins you games.

    Put your effort in to the D.

    @ballpeen said:

    They think D first.

    If you have a really good D, you are in every game.  If you give up 30+ points a game, you can't always keep up with that.  If you give up 17 or under, most teams have a shot.

    I know offense is sexy, but D is what wins you games.

    Put your effort in to the D.

    Not surer why one replied with a sad icon?  Balt. has always been D first team.

    Build a solid D,  have a good enough O.

    That is how I would do it.

  • @ballpeen said:

    They think D first.

    If you have a really good D, you are in every game.  If you give up 30+ points a game, you can't always keep up with that.  If you give up 17 or under, most teams have a shot.

    I know offense is sexy, but D is what wins you games.

    Put your effort in to the D.

    Not surer why one replied with a sad icon?  Balt. has always been D first team.

    Build a solid D,  have a good enough O.

    That is how I would do it.

    @ballpeen said:

    Not surer why one replied with a sad icon?  Balt. has always been D first team.

    ...changed it to 'confused'.  I'm just not one of those 'Defense Wins Championships' guys.   I firmly believe that defenses don't score enough points to win games.  IMO you have to have a good offense.  And by that I mean a good PASSING offense.  (and the better your running game, the better your passing game can be)  

    I'll grant that, in the playoffs, the defense can be the big separator ( CAN BE, but isn't always ), but I don't think you make the playoffs with a bad offense....and if you do, you're usually playoff fodder.  

    Now, not that this matters to die-hards, but you ARE a sexier team if you can put up points.  You ARE more entertaining to watch (and will have more prime time games), you'll sell more jerseys  and will be noticed (we know Haslam likes the limelight and sales) if your offense can be on highlight shows.  Heck, it's been hard even for us die-hards to watch our team over the last 20 years!  I mean how many times did ya wish ya raked leaves or painted the shed instead of wasting your Sunday afternoon watching no QB throw to NO receivers with NO running back?

  • @icecube said:

    Well, how many playoff games have the Steelers won in the last 10 years? I'm not sure 8-8 qualifies as "good." We'll see how "good" Pitt is after Ben is gone. 

    Your post only questions why Balt is good and why they are always contenders, not why they have won so many playoff games.

    But to address your jumping to another point...

    In the last 10 years Baltimore has appeared in the playoffs 7 times, winning 8 times, losing 6.

    In the last 10 years Pitt has appeared in the playoffs 6 times, winning 5 times, losing 6.

    The sad thing is that those two vermin are always contenders while the two situated Ohio exist in a state of perpetual suckdom.

    @gorka said:

    Your post only questions why Balt is good and why they are always contenders, not why they have won so many playoff games.

    But to address your jumping to another point...

    In the last 10 years Baltimore has appeared in the playoffs 7 times, winning 8 times, losing 6.

    In the last 10 years Pitt has appeared in the playoffs 6 times, winning 5 times, losing 6.

    The sad thing is that those two vermin are always contenders while the two situated Ohio exist in a state of perpetual suckdom.

    I'm surprised the Steelers playoff record was that decent the last decade. 5-6 ain't awesome but it's better than I recall. 

    And dude, jumping to another point is what most threads do. 

  • @ballpeen said:

    Not surer why one replied with a sad icon?  Balt. has always been D first team.

    ...changed it to 'confused'.  I'm just not one of those 'Defense Wins Championships' guys.   I firmly believe that defenses don't score enough points to win games.  IMO you have to have a good offense.  And by that I mean a good PASSING offense.  (and the better your running game, the better your passing game can be)  

    I'll grant that, in the playoffs, the defense can be the big separator ( CAN BE, but isn't always ), but I don't think you make the playoffs with a bad offense....and if you do, you're usually playoff fodder.  

    Now, not that this matters to die-hards, but you ARE a sexier team if you can put up points.  You ARE more entertaining to watch (and will have more prime time games), you'll sell more jerseys  and will be noticed (we know Haslam likes the limelight and sales) if your offense can be on highlight shows.  Heck, it's been hard even for us die-hards to watch our team over the last 20 years!  I mean how many times did ya wish ya raked leaves or painted the shed instead of wasting your Sunday afternoon watching no QB throw to NO receivers with NO running back?

    @orion said:

    ...changed it to 'confused'.  I'm just not one of those 'Defense Wins Championships' guys.   I firmly believe that defenses don't score enough points to win games.  IMO you have to have a good offense.  And by that I mean a good PASSING offense.  (and the better your running game, the better your passing game can be)  

    I'll grant that, in the playoffs, the defense can be the big separator ( CAN BE, but isn't always ), but I don't think you make the playoffs with a bad offense....and if you do, you're usually playoff fodder.  

    Now, not that this matters to die-hards, but you ARE a sexier team if you can put up points.  You ARE more entertaining to watch (and will have more prime time games), you'll sell more jerseys  and will be noticed (we know Haslam likes the limelight and sales) if your offense can be on highlight shows.  Heck, it's been hard even for us die-hards to watch our team over the last 20 years!  I mean how many times did ya wish ya raked leaves or painted the shed instead of wasting your Sunday afternoon watching no QB throw to NO receivers with NO running back?

    You are dead on. And obviously, a great D helps the O, and vise versa. If your O can't even make 1st downs, the D will wear out, not maybe, but definitely.  

  • @ballpeen said:

    They think D first.

    If you have a really good D, you are in every game.  If you give up 30+ points a game, you can't always keep up with that.  If you give up 17 or under, most teams have a shot.

    I know offense is sexy, but D is what wins you games.

    Put your effort in to the D.

    Not surer why one replied with a sad icon?  Balt. has always been D first team.

    Build a solid D,  have a good enough O.

    That is how I would do it.

    @ballpeen said:

    Not surer why one replied with a sad icon?  Balt. has always been D first team.

    Build a solid D,  have a good enough O.

    That is how I would do it.

    So much for the "D and running game matter less" theory. Balt. proves you can win with D and rushing. But you still need some passing threat, regardless. 

  • @gorka said:

    Your post only questions why Balt is good and why they are always contenders, not why they have won so many playoff games.

    But to address your jumping to another point...

    In the last 10 years Baltimore has appeared in the playoffs 7 times, winning 8 times, losing 6.

    In the last 10 years Pitt has appeared in the playoffs 6 times, winning 5 times, losing 6.

    The sad thing is that those two vermin are always contenders while the two situated Ohio exist in a state of perpetual suckdom.

    I'm surprised the Steelers playoff record was that decent the last decade. 5-6 ain't awesome but it's better than I recall. 

    And dude, jumping to another point is what most threads do. 

    @icecube said:

    And dude, jumping to another point is what most threads do. 

    Of course they do. And in your case jumping to another point avoids having to agree with me.

    Like Baltimore the last 10yrs, Pitt has also has been good. Agree?

  • Baltimore is good because they are the Browns in purple.

    What we have in Cleveland is some sort of aberration.

    aberration is  deviation from truth,  divergence from the straight, correct, proper, normal, or from the natural state

    The natural state of the Browns was before they moved.

  • @icecube said:

    And dude, jumping to another point is what most threads do. 

    Of course they do. And in your case jumping to another point avoids having to agree with me.

    Like Baltimore the last 10yrs, Pitt has also has been good. Agree?

    @gorka said:

    Of course they do. And in your case jumping to another point avoids having to agree with me.

    Like Baltimore the last 10yrs, Pitt has also has been good. Agree?

    Of course Pitt has also been good too. I admitted I was surprised they were 5-6 in the playoff the last 10 years. And, once again, their D looks really good.  

  • @gorka said:

    Of course they do. And in your case jumping to another point avoids having to agree with me.

    Like Baltimore the last 10yrs, Pitt has also has been good. Agree?

    Of course Pitt has also been good too. I admitted I was surprised they were 5-6 in the playoff the last 10 years. And, once again, their D looks really good.  

    @icecube said:

    Of course Pitt has also been good too. I admitted I was surprised they were 5-6 in the playoff the last 10 years. And, once again, their D looks really good.  

    Thanks. I didn't really expect that reply, but then again you aren't Gipper lol!

  • @icecube said:

    Of course Pitt has also been good too. I admitted I was surprised they were 5-6 in the playoff the last 10 years. And, once again, their D looks really good.  

    Thanks. I didn't really expect that reply, but then again you aren't Gipper lol!

    @gorka said:

    Thanks. I didn't really expect that reply, but then again you aren't Gipper lol!

    Where did I say that Pittsburgh didn't have a good defense?   I only ever said that Vagitron often overrates unproven players on the Steelers.  And I said that only by the grace of a decent defense was that team able to make it to 8-8 last year. 

    Or, if we were to do a unit by unit comparison with the Browns  I said that  think the 2 DLs would be about even.  The Steelers LB corps would far out rank the Browns, and that the Browns  DB corps, overall is likely superior to Pittsburghs.  

    So...I guess if "you aren't Gipper"  it means you have not taken the effort or time to try to do any kind of decent analysis of the talents on the two teams. 

    So...here is YOUR opportunity to do so. 

  • @icecube said:

    Well, how many playoff games have the Steelers won in the last 10 years? I'm not sure 8-8 qualifies as "good." We'll see how "good" Pitt is after Ben is gone. 

    Your post only questions why Balt is good and why they are always contenders, not why they have won so many playoff games.

    But to address your jumping to another point...

    In the last 10 years Baltimore has appeared in the playoffs 7 times, winning 8 times, losing 6.

    In the last 10 years Pitt has appeared in the playoffs 6 times, winning 5 times, losing 6.

    The sad thing is that those two vermin are always contenders while the two situated Ohio exist in a state of perpetual suckdom.

    @gorka said:

    Your post only questions why Balt is good and why they are always contenders, not why they have won so many playoff games.

    But to address your jumping to another point...

    In the last 10 years Baltimore has appeared in the playoffs 7 times, winning 8 times, losing 6.

    In the last 10 years Pitt has appeared in the playoffs 6 times, winning 5 times, losing 6.

    The sad thing is that those two vermin are always contenders while the two situated Ohio exist in a state of perpetual suckdom.

    Well both of those teams start 3-1 or 4-0 almost every year with the Browns and Bungles in the division 

    Same with the Patriots with the Jets and Miami 

  • Ravens had a great draft. I was jealous. Filled basically all their needs with talented upside 

  • @gorka said:

    Your post only questions why Balt is good and why they are always contenders, not why they have won so many playoff games.

    But to address your jumping to another point...

    In the last 10 years Baltimore has appeared in the playoffs 7 times, winning 8 times, losing 6.

    In the last 10 years Pitt has appeared in the playoffs 6 times, winning 5 times, losing 6.

    The sad thing is that those two vermin are always contenders while the two situated Ohio exist in a state of perpetual suckdom.

    Well both of those teams start 3-1 or 4-0 almost every year with the Browns and Bungles in the division 

    Same with the Patriots with the Jets and Miami 

    @browns149 said:

    Well both of those teams start 3-1 or 4-0 almost every year with the Browns and Bungles in the division 

    Same with the Patriots with the Jets and Miami 

    The Pats had even more of an advantage. They were the sole contenders in that division for what seemed like decades. You forgot to include the Bills who until the last couple of years became pretty good. Six easy wins year in and year out for the Pats.

  • @gorka said:

    Thanks. I didn't really expect that reply, but then again you aren't Gipper lol!

    Where did I say that Pittsburgh didn't have a good defense?   I only ever said that Vagitron often overrates unproven players on the Steelers.  And I said that only by the grace of a decent defense was that team able to make it to 8-8 last year. 

    Or, if we were to do a unit by unit comparison with the Browns  I said that  think the 2 DLs would be about even.  The Steelers LB corps would far out rank the Browns, and that the Browns  DB corps, overall is likely superior to Pittsburghs.  

    So...I guess if "you aren't Gipper"  it means you have not taken the effort or time to try to do any kind of decent analysis of the talents on the two teams. 

    So...here is YOUR opportunity to do so. 

    @the-gipper said:

    Where did I say that Pittsburgh didn't have a good defense?   I only ever said that Vagitron often overrates unproven players on the Steelers.  And I said that only by the grace of a decent defense was that team able to make it to 8-8 last year. 

    Or, if we were to do a unit by unit comparison with the Browns  I said that  think the 2 DLs would be about even.  The Steelers LB corps would far out rank the Browns, and that the Browns  DB corps, overall is likely superior to Pittsburghs.  

    So...I guess if "you aren't Gipper"  it means you have not taken the effort or time to try to do any kind of decent analysis of the talents on the two teams. 

    So...here is YOUR opportunity to do so. 

    Whoa!  Hold your horses. I have not read anything you posted on this thread let alone have an issue with it.

    That comment was meant only let Ice know I appreciate him conceding an argument and agreeing.  Something that's harder for you to do than a Hindu eating a hamburger.

    Nevertheless, since you went through the trouble, I went ahead and read the above . I agree with the first two paragraphs.

  • @browns149 said:

    Well both of those teams start 3-1 or 4-0 almost every year with the Browns and Bungles in the division 

    Same with the Patriots with the Jets and Miami 

    The Pats had even more of an advantage. They were the sole contenders in that division for what seemed like decades. You forgot to include the Bills who until the last couple of years became pretty good. Six easy wins year in and year out for the Pats.

    @gorka said:

    The Pats had even more of an advantage. They were the sole contenders in that division for what seemed like decades. You forgot to include the Bills who until the last couple of years became pretty good. Six easy wins year in and year out for the Pats.

    So true, but they made 9 SBs and won 6...they had to beat teams (the best) outside their div. to do that. 

  • @gorka said:

    The Pats had even more of an advantage. They were the sole contenders in that division for what seemed like decades. You forgot to include the Bills who until the last couple of years became pretty good. Six easy wins year in and year out for the Pats.

    So true, but they made 9 SBs and won 6...they had to beat teams (the best) outside their div. to do that. 

    @icecube said:

    So true, but they made 9 SBs and won 6...they had to beat teams (the best) outside their div. to do that. 

    Cant argue with that!

  • @the-gipper said:

    Where did I say that Pittsburgh didn't have a good defense?   I only ever said that Vagitron often overrates unproven players on the Steelers.  And I said that only by the grace of a decent defense was that team able to make it to 8-8 last year. 

    Or, if we were to do a unit by unit comparison with the Browns  I said that  think the 2 DLs would be about even.  The Steelers LB corps would far out rank the Browns, and that the Browns  DB corps, overall is likely superior to Pittsburghs.  

    So...I guess if "you aren't Gipper"  it means you have not taken the effort or time to try to do any kind of decent analysis of the talents on the two teams. 

    So...here is YOUR opportunity to do so. 

    Whoa!  Hold your horses. I have not read anything you posted on this thread let alone have an issue with it.

    That comment was meant only let Ice know I appreciate him conceding an argument and agreeing.  Something that's harder for you to do than a Hindu eating a hamburger.

    Nevertheless, since you went through the trouble, I went ahead and read the above . I agree with the first two paragraphs.

    @gorka said:

    Whoa!  Hold your horses. I have not read anything you posted on this thread let alone have an issue with it.

    That comment was meant only let Ice know I appreciate him conceding an argument and agreeing.  Something that's harder for you to do than a Hindu eating a hamburger.

    I have conceded many points....you have just not paid attention to those apparently.  But when I am right, I am right, and I stick to my guns. 

    Nevertheless, since you went through the trouble, I went ahead and read the above . I agree with the first two paragraphs.