Skip to content

Why is Balt. good every year?

The Browns Board
98 21 2.4k
  • In my life, I've never seen a team draft that well after that good of a season. Queen, Dobbins, Madubuike, Duvernay? And they even nabbed good talent after those 4 dudes. They replenished both lines AND just happen to have added Campbell, one of the best Dlman in the NFL. Dear God. 

    Let's reserve judgment on these guys until they play.  The thing they have going for them assuredly is good coaching....which many of our past failures did not have the benefit of. 

  • @tour2ma said:

    Next to maybe, but not at...

    Welcome back... 🙂

    BINGO! Can't believe it took until the 10th or so post.

    GM in Oz's case stood for "Great Manager". The guy built an FO that might only be 2nd to the Pats'. That said BLT's is deeper and therefore more sustainable.

    Oz was a really good personnel guy. But the Ravens continue to crush it in drafts since he has been gone. 2020 draft was just insane by a team who just went 14-2. In my life, I've never seen a team draft that well after that good of a season. Queen, Dobbins, Madubuike, Duvernay? And they even nabbed good talent after those 4 dudes. They replenished both lines AND just happen to have added Campbell, one of the best Dlman in the NFL. Dear God. 

    @icecube said:

    But the Ravens continue to crush it in drafts since he has been gone.

    Thus my " built an FO that might only be 2nd to the Pats'," comment.

  • @icecube said:

    But the Ravens continue to crush it in drafts since he has been gone.

    Thus my " built an FO that might only be 2nd to the Pats'," comment.

    @tour2ma said:

    Thus my " built an FO that might only be 2nd to the Pats'," comment.

    Interestingly enough, NE is not that great at drafting, as one might assume. They can't draft stud WRs to save their lives. Yes, they totally lucked out on drafting the GOAT in the 6th round. But when you look at their drafts, they are not exceptional most years. 

    They are good at generating a volume of picks, as the bigger the net the better your chances of finding gems (See Jimmy Johnson in Dallas). 

    https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/nwe/draft.htm

  • If you think Baltimore was good last year, just wait until you see them THIS year. 

    It's totally conceivable, and likely, they'll have a worse record but be a better team. Why? Well, first off all they have their scheme down PAT. All of the teams that are introducing new systems this year are going to be totally screwed compared to those who have their style completely developed. Which category do you think WE fit into? 

    Now, I'm not going to say that we're going to get our asses whipped week 1, but I will say that if you're a betting man, you can safely wager your life savings, home, and college funds on Baltimore winning. I mean, think about Baltimore's offense and how hard it is to stop. Combine that with no preseason, their record last year, OUR opening day record, and you're left with a terrible recipe. 

    I hope I'm wrong. I hope I'm wrong AF. I would actually pick us to win against just about ANY other team in the world, but Baltimore week 1?REALLY NFL? My biggest hope is that they'll be just as rusty as us. That they'll fumble multiple times while pitching the ball, that Lamar won't be razor sharp, and whatever else. But it doesn't look good, folks. We're going to need some serious mojo to finally bring home a week 1 victory. Lord knows it's time. 

  • If you think Baltimore was good last year, just wait until you see them THIS year. 

    It's totally conceivable, and likely, they'll have a worse record but be a better team. Why? Well, first off all they have their scheme down PAT. All of the teams that are introducing new systems this year are going to be totally screwed compared to those who have their style completely developed. Which category do you think WE fit into? 

    Now, I'm not going to say that we're going to get our asses whipped week 1, but I will say that if you're a betting man, you can safely wager your life savings, home, and college funds on Baltimore winning. I mean, think about Baltimore's offense and how hard it is to stop. Combine that with no preseason, their record last year, OUR opening day record, and you're left with a terrible recipe. 

    I hope I'm wrong. I hope I'm wrong AF. I would actually pick us to win against just about ANY other team in the world, but Baltimore week 1?REALLY NFL? My biggest hope is that they'll be just as rusty as us. That they'll fumble multiple times while pitching the ball, that Lamar won't be razor sharp, and whatever else. But it doesn't look good, folks. We're going to need some serious mojo to finally bring home a week 1 victory. Lord knows it's time. 

    @jiggins7919 said:

    If you think Baltimore was good last year, just wait until you see them THIS year. 

    It's totally conceivable, and likely, they'll have a worse record but be a better team. Why? Well, first off all they have their scheme down PAT. All of the teams that are introducing new systems this year are going to be totally screwed compared to those who have their style completely developed. Which category do you think WE fit into? 

    ...... But it doesn't look good, folks. We're going to need some serious mojo to finally bring home a week 1 victory. Lord knows it's time. 

    Hey jig how's life down in sunny Florida ?

    And yes BAL and the AFCN in general it going to be a tougher road this year......barring any strange 2020 occurrences.  Even lowly Cincinnati will not be picking first in Cleveland in 2021.

    Might be good to have a 12-4 record to win the division.

  • @browns52 said:

    tomlin should have got coach of the yr last season with those qb's he had....i think, if there is a season and if rottenburger is 100 percent, they will win the afc north...believe me they will figure out jackson...big time....

    Ugh...don't say shit like that.lol

    I know, you're trying to keep it real which is good. I'm the same way no matter how much I hate that team...or the Rats.

    btw...I think more teams will figure out Jackson.

    @gorka said:

    Ugh...don't say shit like that.lol

    I know, you're trying to keep it real which is good. I'm the same way no matter how much I hate that team...or the Rats.

    btw...I think more teams will figure out Jackson.

    The problem is, Jackson doesn't have to be superman, just do enough. It's not like he has to carry the whole team. Their D is stacked, running game brutal. If LJ makes 3 long pass plays, a few runs, they win. If you jail break LJ, he'll hit Brown or Boykin deep. And just wait until they get Duvernay involved. Dear word. 

  • @gorka said:

    Of course they do. And in your case jumping to another point avoids having to agree with me.

    Like Baltimore the last 10yrs, Pitt has also has been good. Agree?

    tomlin should have got coach of the yr last season with those qb's he had....i think, if there is a season and if rottenburger is 100 percent, they will win the afc north...believe me they will figure out jackson...big time....

    @browns52 said:

    tomlin should have got coach of the yr last season with those qb's he had....i think, if there is a season and if rottenburger is 100 percent, they will win the afc north...believe me they will figure out jackson...big time....

    so says the jealous steeler fan that cant stand the fact the ravens are the team of the future and the steelers are slowly dying

  • @jiggins7919 said:

    If you think Baltimore was good last year, just wait until you see them THIS year. 

    It's totally conceivable, and likely, they'll have a worse record but be a better team. Why? Well, first off all they have their scheme down PAT. All of the teams that are introducing new systems this year are going to be totally screwed compared to those who have their style completely developed. Which category do you think WE fit into? 

    ...... But it doesn't look good, folks. We're going to need some serious mojo to finally bring home a week 1 victory. Lord knows it's time. 

    Hey jig how's life down in sunny Florida ?

    And yes BAL and the AFCN in general it going to be a tougher road this year......barring any strange 2020 occurrences.  Even lowly Cincinnati will not be picking first in Cleveland in 2021.

    Might be good to have a 12-4 record to win the division.

    @mjp28 said:

    Hey jig how's life down in sunny Florida ?

    And yes BAL and the AFCN in general it going to be a tougher road this year......barring any strange 2020 occurrences.  Even lowly Cincinnati will not be picking first in Cleveland in 2021.

    Might be good to have a 12-4 record to win the division.

    Life is good! Just started a new job and looking forward to HOPEFULLY watching football. Lord, it just feels like our country NEEDS this, ya know? This damn virus has everything so messed up and Florida is getting the worst of it. School is about to start and we all expect that to be a crap show. We need football...we need something to talk about. ?

  • @jiggins7919 said:

    If you think Baltimore was good last year, just wait until you see them THIS year. 

    It's totally conceivable, and likely, they'll have a worse record but be a better team. Why? Well, first off all they have their scheme down PAT. All of the teams that are introducing new systems this year are going to be totally screwed compared to those who have their style completely developed. Which category do you think WE fit into? 

    ...... But it doesn't look good, folks. We're going to need some serious mojo to finally bring home a week 1 victory. Lord knows it's time. 

    Hey jig how's life down in sunny Florida ?

    And yes BAL and the AFCN in general it going to be a tougher road this year......barring any strange 2020 occurrences.  Even lowly Cincinnati will not be picking first in Cleveland in 2021.

    Might be good to have a 12-4 record to win the division.

    @mjp28 said:

    Hey jig how's life down in sunny Florida ?

    And yes BAL and the AFCN in general it going to be a tougher road this year......barring any strange 2020 occurrences.  Even lowly Cincinnati will not be picking first in Cleveland in 2021.

    Might be good to have a 12-4 record to win the division.

    We all know the NFL season has so many twists and turns, even in a "normal" year. For instance, the Browns WRECKING the Ravens by putting up 40 on them. But it turns out that was an anomaly. But at the time, the Browns looked like a true contender. 

    But, The Ravens seem stacked. They added some skiznett. Campbell is a beast. I'm not saying Jackson will be MVP like again, but he'll still be a weapon.   

  • @mjp28 said:

    Hey jig how's life down in sunny Florida ?

    And yes BAL and the AFCN in general it going to be a tougher road this year......barring any strange 2020 occurrences.  Even lowly Cincinnati will not be picking first in Cleveland in 2021.

    Might be good to have a 12-4 record to win the division.

    We all know the NFL season has so many twists and turns, even in a "normal" year. For instance, the Browns WRECKING the Ravens by putting up 40 on them. But it turns out that was an anomaly. But at the time, the Browns looked like a true contender. 

    But, The Ravens seem stacked. They added some skiznett. Campbell is a beast. I'm not saying Jackson will be MVP like again, but he'll still be a weapon.   

    @icecube said:

    We all know the NFL season has so many twists and turns, even in a "normal" year. For instance, the Browns WRECKING the Ravens by putting up 40 on them. But it turns out that was an anomaly. But at the time, the Browns looked like a true contender. 

    But, The Ravens seem stacked. They added some skiznett. Campbell is a beast. I'm not saying Jackson will be MVP like again, but he'll still be a weapon.   

    All I ever see is you sucking the Ravens dick.  

    Fuck them.  They had their apex last year. 

  • @icecube said:

    We all know the NFL season has so many twists and turns, even in a "normal" year. For instance, the Browns WRECKING the Ravens by putting up 40 on them. But it turns out that was an anomaly. But at the time, the Browns looked like a true contender. 

    But, The Ravens seem stacked. They added some skiznett. Campbell is a beast. I'm not saying Jackson will be MVP like again, but he'll still be a weapon.   

    All I ever see is you sucking the Ravens dick.  

    Fuck them.  They had their apex last year. 

    @the-gipper said:

    All I ever see is you sucking the Ravens dick.  

    Fuck them.  They had their apex last year. 

    Sorry, I express my honest opinions. Should I lie? Would it make you feel better? And I got news for you, the Ravens may not win as many regular season games, but they may be even better than 2019. Throw in Dobbins, Duvernay...wow.  

  • @the-gipper said:

    All I ever see is you sucking the Ravens dick.  

    Fuck them.  They had their apex last year. 

    Sorry, I express my honest opinions. Should I lie? Would it make you feel better? And I got news for you, the Ravens may not win as many regular season games, but they may be even better than 2019. Throw in Dobbins, Duvernay...wow.  

    @icecube said:

    Sorry, I express my honest opinions. Should I lie? Would it make you feel better? And I got news for you, the Ravens may not win as many regular season games, but they may be even better than 2019. Throw in Dobbins, Duvernay...wow.  

    Every team has drafted a set of rookies that one could say "wow" over.  You may say Wow about Dobbins because of your familiarity with him from Ohio State.....and not that he is not good,  but our set of draftees may be equally or more "wowable".......its just that we were not as generally familiar with them from their college play. Grant Delpit was considered the shit when he was playing in college...yet, like Dobbins, he slipped into the second round. 

    So:  Jedrick Wills...WOW

    Grant Delpit....WOW

    Jason Phillips....WOW

    Jordan Elliott....WOW

    Harrison Bryant...WOW

    Nick Harris...WOW

    etc. etc. 

  • @the-gipper said:

    All I ever see is you sucking the Ravens dick.  

    Fuck them.  They had their apex last year. 

    Sorry, I express my honest opinions. Should I lie? Would it make you feel better? And I got news for you, the Ravens may not win as many regular season games, but they may be even better than 2019. Throw in Dobbins, Duvernay...wow.  

    @icecube said:

    Sorry, I express my honest opinions. Should I lie? Would it make you feel better? And I got news for you, the Ravens may not win as many regular season games, but they may be even better than 2019. Throw in Dobbins, Duvernay...wow.  

    They had an excellent draft - they got a couple front 7 guys that FIT perfectly in their scheme. They got a younger option to Ingram that FITS what they do and good outside weapon for Lamar.  Most importantly they have stability once again at the HC spot and a good one too.

    i am just waiting on DCs around the league to wake up and come up with a Lamar Jackson scheme...when it happens this is a .500 team. 

  • @icecube said:

    Sorry, I express my honest opinions. Should I lie? Would it make you feel better? And I got news for you, the Ravens may not win as many regular season games, but they may be even better than 2019. Throw in Dobbins, Duvernay...wow.  

    They had an excellent draft - they got a couple front 7 guys that FIT perfectly in their scheme. They got a younger option to Ingram that FITS what they do and good outside weapon for Lamar.  Most importantly they have stability once again at the HC spot and a good one too.

    i am just waiting on DCs around the league to wake up and come up with a Lamar Jackson scheme...when it happens this is a .500 team. 

    @sdbacker80 said:

    i am just waiting on DCs around the league to wake up and come up with a Lamar Jackson scheme...when it happens this is a .500 team. 

    Sooner or later, to be a long-time great NFL QB, you have to be able to sit in the pocket, read defenses and make throws.

    If Jackson cannot do these things on a regular basis, he most likely has already hit his ceiling and will be making the inevitable move downward. 

  • @icecube said:

    Sorry, I express my honest opinions. Should I lie? Would it make you feel better? And I got news for you, the Ravens may not win as many regular season games, but they may be even better than 2019. Throw in Dobbins, Duvernay...wow.  

    Every team has drafted a set of rookies that one could say "wow" over.  You may say Wow about Dobbins because of your familiarity with him from Ohio State.....and not that he is not good,  but our set of draftees may be equally or more "wowable".......its just that we were not as generally familiar with them from their college play. Grant Delpit was considered the shit when he was playing in college...yet, like Dobbins, he slipped into the second round. 

    So:  Jedrick Wills...WOW

    Grant Delpit....WOW

    Jason Phillips....WOW

    Jordan Elliott....WOW

    Harrison Bryant...WOW

    Nick Harris...WOW

    etc. etc. 

    @the-gipper said:

    Every team has drafted a set of rookies that one could say "wow" over.  You may say Wow about Dobbins because of your familiarity with him from Ohio State.....and not that he is not good,  but our set of draftees may be equally or more "wowable".......its just that we were not as generally familiar with them from their college play. Grant Delpit was considered the shit when he was playing in college...yet, like Dobbins, he slipped into the second round. 

    So:  Jedrick Wills...WOW

    Grant Delpit....WOW

    Jason Phillips....WOW

    Jordan Elliott....WOW

    Harrison Bryant...WOW

    Nick Harris...WOW

    etc. etc. 

    Sorry, not feeling the "wow." Browns have had wow picks forever. It's just my opinion, but my guess is in 3 years we will be agreeing Balt. killed this draft. 

  • @icecube said:

    Sorry, I express my honest opinions. Should I lie? Would it make you feel better? And I got news for you, the Ravens may not win as many regular season games, but they may be even better than 2019. Throw in Dobbins, Duvernay...wow.  

    They had an excellent draft - they got a couple front 7 guys that FIT perfectly in their scheme. They got a younger option to Ingram that FITS what they do and good outside weapon for Lamar.  Most importantly they have stability once again at the HC spot and a good one too.

    i am just waiting on DCs around the league to wake up and come up with a Lamar Jackson scheme...when it happens this is a .500 team. 

    @sdbacker80 said:

    They had an excellent draft - they got a couple front 7 guys that FIT perfectly in their scheme. They got a younger option to Ingram that FITS what they do and good outside weapon for Lamar.  Most importantly they have stability once again at the HC spot and a good one too.

    i am just waiting on DCs around the league to wake up and come up with a Lamar Jackson scheme...when it happens this is a .500 team. 

    How you "figure out" LJ is to get a lead and have a power rushing game (see TN). All of a sudden Balt. could do nothing. And then Henry went off. 

  • @icecube said:

    We all know the NFL season has so many twists and turns, even in a "normal" year. For instance, the Browns WRECKING the Ravens by putting up 40 on them. But it turns out that was an anomaly. But at the time, the Browns looked like a true contender. 

    But, The Ravens seem stacked. They added some skiznett. Campbell is a beast. I'm not saying Jackson will be MVP like again, but he'll still be a weapon.   

    All I ever see is you sucking the Ravens dick.  

    Fuck them.  They had their apex last year. 

    @the-gipper said:

    All I ever see is you sucking the Ravens dick.  

    Fuck them.  They had their apex last year. 

    Maybe,  but I think they maintain a while.

  • Everytime you think their days are over as a contender, they find a way to get right back into the mix of being an upper team. 

    How do they do it?

    They draft well, and keep drafting well. They come off a 14-2 season and have one of, if not THE best drafts in the NFL. It's crazy they nabbed Queen, Dobbins, Madubuike and Duvernay in the draft after going 14-2, just insane. 

    @icecube said:

    Everytime you think their days are over as a contender, they find a way to get right back into the mix of being an upper team. 

    How do they do it?

    They draft well, and keep drafting well. They come off a 14-2 season and have one of, if not THE best drafts in the NFL. It's crazy they nabbed Queen, Dobbins, Madubuike and Duvernay in the draft after going 14-2, just insane. 

    Ownership

  • @sdbacker80 said:

    They had an excellent draft - they got a couple front 7 guys that FIT perfectly in their scheme. They got a younger option to Ingram that FITS what they do and good outside weapon for Lamar.  Most importantly they have stability once again at the HC spot and a good one too.

    i am just waiting on DCs around the league to wake up and come up with a Lamar Jackson scheme...when it happens this is a .500 team. 

    How you "figure out" LJ is to get a lead and have a power rushing game (see TN). All of a sudden Balt. could do nothing. And then Henry went off. 

    @icecube said:

    How you "figure out" LJ is to get a lead and have a power rushing game (see TN). All of a sudden Balt. could do nothing. And then Henry went off. 

    Big Whoop'dee hell! 😁... Scoreboard-Browns-40 Ratbirds-25...Chubb in only 20 touches gets 165  yards with 3 rushing TD's..King Henry took 30 touches to get to 195..Henry's only TD, was a dink pass.. Line these Rat bitches up week 1...If we hold Lamar to 66 yards rushing yards & Ingram with only 71 again? .. Happy Week 1! ? ya media Haters...

    Ya don't run at Calais Campbell & ya don't throw at Marcus Peters..the rest is a wide open game..knowing more than 15 plays in a playbook can't hurt either..

  • @sdbacker80 said:

    They had an excellent draft - they got a couple front 7 guys that FIT perfectly in their scheme. They got a younger option to Ingram that FITS what they do and good outside weapon for Lamar.  Most importantly they have stability once again at the HC spot and a good one too.

    i am just waiting on DCs around the league to wake up and come up with a Lamar Jackson scheme...when it happens this is a .500 team. 

    How you "figure out" LJ is to get a lead and have a power rushing game (see TN). All of a sudden Balt. could do nothing. And then Henry went off. 

    @icecube said:

    How you "figure out" LJ is to get a lead and have a power rushing game (see TN). All of a sudden Balt. could do nothing. And then Henry went off. 

    Your ends have to contain and not rush up field and make open lanes and it’s not a game for stunts and exotic twists with your DTs.  Very controlled blitz package. He needs to be East and west with his first steps in the pocket. He gets north right away and it’s 10+ yards. 

    Your LBs and Safeties then have do the dirty work by spying and tackling. 

    I don’t want to play man with the back four either. So you have to be comfortable in a zone and mix that up and give him different looks. 

    that’s just Lamar defense.  

    the true key to solving that rat bird offense is taking away the back 

    Offensively I agree with you to an extent. You don’t necessarily have to be ball control though you need to put them at a deficit early.